” Riding Mower
Power through tall, thick grass with the Murray 42” Riding Lawn Tractor powered by a robust Briggs Stratton 17.50 Gross HP, 500cc Power Built Engine. The Power Built engine features unique OHV (Overhead Valve) technology and a simple-to-maintain design for a more doable, long-lasting engine. Great for larger yards with up to 1 acre of grass, the convenient automatic transmission lets you set the pace without stopping for adjustments while the tight 16-inch turning radius helps you spend less time mowing and more time enjoying your yard.
craftsman 42 inch lawn mower deck
42-Inch (107-cm) Accel Deep (42A) Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile
The 42-inch (107-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds or in tall grass.
- 4.97-inch (12.6-cm) depth throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance.
- Optional lever-action or electric one-touch MulchControl system for superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help reduce scalping.
Deep mower deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut.
- Reducing the amount of recutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds.
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material.
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds.
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging.
- Cut-and-throw chute has a large, optimized inlet which aids in collecting material by using airflow from the large deck opening.
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean.
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service.
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without buildup of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings.
- Less need to clean and remove buildup of material from underside of deck.
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck.
- Even flow of material discharged out the chute, less recutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator.
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely and MulchControl makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities.
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
- A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy. A hose connector is included with the mower deck.
The 42A Mower Deck has strong spindle s to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service.
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- The 42A has a 16% heavier overall weight than the Edge Xtra 42-inch (107-cm) Mower Deck.
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Single bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on engine lower bearing and mower deck bearings for longer life.
Rolled outer edge of the deck provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
The 42A Mower Deck is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another.
- With an optional MulchControl system installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from side-discharging to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever or push of an electric switch.
- The cut-and-throw rear bagger can be used with MulchControl by removing the rear MulchControl baffle before installing the bagger chute. The baffle is held in place with two carriage bolts. To return to mulching, the chute needs to be removed and the baffle replaced.
An optional 7-bushel (247-L) cut-and-throw rear bagger material collection system (MCS) is available for use with the 42-inch (107-cm) Accel Deep Mower. It provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves. The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags.
- 7-bushel (247-L) capacity.
- Easy-to-attach two-piece chute (ordered separately).
- Air exhaust duct.
- Convenient spring latch.
- Airflow fill indicator.
- Quik-Tatch mounting.
- Sealed hopper top.
- Loose-knit bags available.
High-lift bagging blades are included with the bagger chute. They provide optimum performance when bagging in difficult conditions, such as when the grass is moist, dense, or long.
Mulching blades are included with the optional MulchControl system. They can be used for mulching, side-discharging, and bagging in most conditions.
4-year or 300-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard
An exclusive 4-year or 300-hour (whichever comes first) single-source, bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard for all John Deere X300 Select Series Tractors.
- The warranty is hassle free, with one company handling all the paperwork.
- Premium features of the X300 Select Series Tractors allow for this longer warranty period, with more coverage than comparable tractors.
Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.
MulchControl system provides superior mulching performance and Rapid conversion
The optional MulchControl system makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching, but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side-discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- Creates a beautiful looking lawn.
- Smaller grass clippings disappear into the lawn canopy.
- Reduces fertilizer needs.
- Grass clippings are not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds.
- No need to dispose of bags of clippings.
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain.
- The MulchControl system includes an adjustable MulchControl baffle near the discharge chute and fixed baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The MulchControl handle, or electric one-touch actuator, is on top of the mower deck and is used to open and close the MulchControl baffle.
- When the MulchControl baffle is open, most of the material flows freely out the discharge deflector or into a material collection system.
- When the MulchControl baffle is closed, material stays within the deck and gets chopped into mulch and deposited in the turf.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations.
- For operators who usually mulch, but side-discharge when grass gets too long.
- For operators who usually side-discharge, but would like to close the chute to control clippings in some areas.
- For operators who always mulch a main lawn, but often side-discharge secondary lawns.
- For operators who collect clippings, but want to go farther before emptying the material collection system.
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings.
Electric one-touch MulchControl systems shift the MulchControl baffle using an electric actuator that is operated by a dash-mounted switch. Operators can convert between modes without interrupting the mowing process, making it possible to change between modes:
- When approaching driveways or flower beds where clippings would be undesirable.
- When a breeze blows clippings back onto the operator.
- For side-discharge mowing only the areas of the property where grass is too thick for mulching.
- With 48A and 54A Mower Decks, for collecting only the areas of the property where grass is too tall or thick for mulching.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl still mulches about one-third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side-discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times, this could work as a disadvantage.
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda.
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States.
- When optimum bagging and lawn cleanup is desired.
- 42A Mower Deck requires a MulchControl baffle be removed to install the bagger chute.
When bagging with MulchControl on a 42A Mower Deck, the cut-and-throw rear bagger can be used with the MulchControl blades. However, the rear MulchControl baffle needs to be removed to install the bagger chute. The baffle is held in place with two carriage bolts. To return to mulching, the chute needs to be removed and the baffle replaced.
Each MulchControl system is an optional field-installed attachment and includes everything needed: baffles, mulch blades, a handle (lever-action attachments) or an actuator, wiring, and switches (electric one-touch attachments).
NOTE: Model year 2016 – 2017 X300 and X500 Series Tractors (X300 serial number 10,001 – 50,000 and X500 serial number 110,001 – 130,000) require replacing the tractor wiring harness and dash panel to use an electric MulchControl attachment.
Snow removal is a strength of lawn tractors
An advantage of lawn tractors is their ability to use equipment for snow removal. Lawn tractor owners can add a John Deere snow blower or front blade to make quick work of moving snow whenever the need arises. Weather enclosure and tire chain attachments add comfort and performance.
Equipment available for snow removal includes:
- 44-Inch (112-cm) Snow Blower
- 44-Inch (112-cm) Front Blade
- 48-Inch (122-cm) Front Blade (X394 Tractor Only)
- Tire Chains or TerraGrip Traction Belts
- Weather Enclosure (Not Available on X350R Tractor)
Steering is low-effort sector and pinion system
A heavy-duty sector and pinion steering system with quality bearings provides easy and precise control for the life of the tractor.
Easy steering is important for an enjoyable mowing experience.
- Large, 14-inch (36-cm) diameter steering wheel for improved leverage.
- Large sector gear for improved (higher) steering ratio.
- A higher ratio equals lower steering effort.
Integrated hydrostatic transaxle efficiently transmits power to wheels
The Tuff Torq hydrostatic transaxle encloses the hydrostatic pump and motor rotator groups in the same housing with the differential and axle housings. This design is very efficient and reduces the number of sealing surfaces to minimize the potential for leakage.
Combined with the foot controls, the hydrostatic transmission functions similarly to that of an automatic transmission in an automobile, so the term automatic is often used to describe it.
- Use of the latest valve designs has significantly reduced the sound level.
- Large pump and motor rotating groups ensure long life and efficient operation.
A freewheeling valve control is conveniently located near the tractor rear hitch plate for good visibility and easy operation.
Kanzaki and Tuff Torq are trademarks of Kanzaki Kokyukoki Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Controls and display functions are easy to identify and convenient to use
The contoured dash has clean, attractive styling and ergonomic controls for easy use.
- Controls are color-coded and labeled with English words for easy identification by the operator.
- Controls are logically placed and easy to reach.
- The power take-off (PTO) switch allows the operator to get fingers underneath it, like a T-handle, to pull up for easy activation.
- The Reverse Implement Option (RIO) switch is a yellow button.
- The latch control on foot-lift models and hydraulic lift control on power-lift models and the park brake latch are pivot levers for low effort.
- Cruise control activation is handled by an automotive-style button.
- Separate engine speed and choke controls make starting and warming up the engine easier in cold weather.
- The choke lever is spring-loaded to eliminate the chance the tractor will be unintentionally operated with the choke partially closed.
Instrument display has the look and feel of a modern automobile. A power-up sequence cycles lights and gauges to indicate they are working.
- Display features dark-cockpit design to minimize operator distractions.
- Display is backlit for night visibility.
- Night visibility is especially useful with snow blower use.
- The X350R has a low fuel light, rather than a fuel gauge, to provide the operator with a noticeable warning when low on fuel.
- Target-zone graphics inform the operator of the engine speed range to use for best cut quality.
- Damage can be prevented and repair costs can be reduced by addressing problems early.
- The indicators are also useful to identify the reasons the PTO or engine may have shut off when an interlock is unsatisfied.
- Onboard diagnostics provide trouble codes for use by trained technicians.
- For example, a technician can test switch functionality and circuit continuity without tools.
Twin Touch foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel.
- Automotive-type accelerator control ensures easy operation.
- Operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- Large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
- To engage, push the cruise control button and hold in until the foot is removed from the forward pedal.
- For emergency stop, the cruise control can be released by pushing on the brake pedal or the forward pedal.
A rotary dial knob makes adjusting the mower cut height quick and easy.
- Provides mower cut heights in 0.25-inch (0.64-cm) increments from 1 inch (2.5 cm) to 4 inches (10.2 cm).
- Returns the mower deck to the same preset height each time it is lowered.
Storage for the onboard deck-leveling gauge and the Exact Adjust tool is provided in the storage tray under the tractor’s seat.
- Exact Adjust ports on the fender allow for easy and accurate leveling of the mower deck for optimum mowing performance.
- Deck-leveling gauge is placed at the appropriate location under the left rear, right rear, and front of the mower deck as the cut height is adjusted using the Exact Adjust tool and front draft arm adjusting nuts.
Pushing with the foot to raise the mower or implement is less strenuous for many operators than using a hand-lift lever.
- The easy-to-use raised position lock operates similarly to the park brake lock.
- The foot pedal is out of the way and not likely to catch on bushes and tree limbs when mowing.
- The mower deck returns to the same preset height each time it is lowered.
- Lift-assist spring is provided on tractors shipped from the factory with a 48-inch (122-cm) or 54-inch (137-cm) side-discharge mower deck, except models with hydraulic lift, and a recommended option for tractors equipped with a 42-inch (107-cm) mulch mower to minimize lift effort.
- A spring-assist kit is available for other models to use with front equipment.
Depressing the brake pedal applies internal wet disk brakes, which provide better reliability and longer life than external brakes, for safe stopping.
The parking brake control is conveniently located for easy access. It holds the brake pedal securely in the locked position.
The heavy-duty electric PTO clutch is operated with a convenient dash-mounted switch. The PTO clutch is designed to operate through many on/off cycles.
- CAUTION: Children or bystanders may be injured by rotating blades. Before traveling forward or rearward, carefully check the area around the machine. Backing up while the mower is engaged is strongly discouraged. RIO should be used only when operating another attachment or when the operator deems it necessary to reposition the machine with the mower engaged.
- To use RIO:
- Stop forward travel.
- Look behind the machine to be sure there are no bystanders.
- Push and hold in the RIO switch while depressing the reverse pedal slightly. If the engine and mower or other attachment stops while repositioning the machine, return the attachment engagement lever/switch to the off position. Start the engine and engage mower or other attachment. Begin again with step 2.
- Release the RIO switch and reposition the machine as the machine begins to move rearward.
- Resume forward travel. The mower or other attachment should continue operating.
- Repeat procedure to position the machine again.
Frame is heavy-duty welded steel
The frame is made of heavy-duty formed and welded steel, reinforced in critical areas for even greater strength.
- The frame is formed from 12-gauge, 0.105-inch (2.66-mm) thick material for long life.
- Standard front bumper and hitch plate are formed from 9-gauge, 0.15-inch (3.8-mm) steel and complete the frame assembly.
- Rear hitch plate can support two 42-pound (19-kg) Quik-Tatch weights.
- Weight bracket is built into the frame of two-wheel steer models.
- Four-wheel steer models require the optional weight bracket.
Front axle is made of nodular cast iron.
A replaceable bushing is used at axle mounting.
Front steering spindle diameter is 0.75 inches (19 mm) for strength and long life.
A heavy-duty equipment mounting system is used.
- Includes strong frame mounts with a combination of mounting holes in the tractor hitch plate that accept pins or shoulder bolts to support heavy rear-mounted equipment.
- Easily attach optional equipment to the tractor.
- Can bear the load of heavy rear-mounted equipment, such as material collection systems.
Get Help or Order By Phone. 1 (423) 735-1008
References to the manufacturer’s name and/or part number are for identification purposes only.
All parts listed on this site are aftermarket parts unless otherwise noted.
We proudly sell Oregon(R) outdoor equipment parts and Forestry products.
All returns require a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number before returning your merchandise. There will be a 15% return fee. Shipping will not be refunded if a mistake was made by the customer. There will be no returns after 30 days. Electronic parts may not be returned without manager approval. There will be a 10% fee for cancelled orders.