Installation of a ceiling plinth cannot be called a difficult and time-consuming process; even a novice master can do it. However, for a high-quality work, you need to know all the details of installing ceiling plinths. When solving this issue, you should be especially careful about the design of the corners. Errors and shortcomings at this stage cause the formation of cracks and mismatches, which to a greater extent spoil the appearance of the entire ceiling. Therefore, the problem of how to glue the ceiling plinth in the corners can be called actual.
How to glue skirting boards to the ceiling in the corners. a step-by-step guide
When performing repair and finishing work, each stage should be treated responsibly. The final stage, when additional and decorative elements are mounted, requires special care. Most often they are in plain sight, so any mistake can spoil the appearance of the entire interior. Therefore, it is necessary to strive for the perfect execution of the final stages of repair and decoration.
The completion of any work on finishing the ceiling is the installation of ceiling skirting boards, which are called friezes or fillets. Thanks to this element, the transition between the ceiling and the wall becomes smooth, and the renovation takes on a complete look.
The main purpose of the ceiling plinth is to decorate the room, so you need to choose a fillet in accordance with the overall interior. In addition, this element allows you to mask minor defects at the junction of the ceiling and walls. Therefore, it is important to know how to glue fillets correctly.
Cutting skirting boards at an angle
The process of deciding how to glue a wide ceiling plinth always starts in one of the corners. Many manufacturers in the process of manufacturing products cut the skirting boards at a certain slope for easier decoration of the external and internal corners. The problem of fitting fillets with a complex pattern or pattern is especially urgent. When using a cornerless ceiling plinth, you can correctly and beautifully arrange the corner using a miter box or a file.
In order not to spoil the appearance of the baguette, it is necessary to properly cut off its corners. To form a normal right angle, the plinth should be cut at an angle of 45 degrees towards each other.
Fitting Kitchen Plinths | The Carpenter’s Daughter
Determining the slope and cutting the skirting board is done as follows:
- The product is applied to the ceiling in order to understand the direction of the cut for proper installation.
- You need to cut baguettes in a mirror image.
- To decorate the inner corner, the top edge is made shorter than the bottom edge.
- Correct outer corner occurs when the top edge is longer than the bottom.
- On the ceiling plinth, which will be located on the right side, make a cut on the left side.
- The product located on the left side should have a cut on the right side.
- When cutting the skirting board, you must carefully advance the knife in one direction. In this case, the formation of chips and roughness can be avoided.
The appearance of the ceiling depends on the correct solution to the question of how to glue and cut ceiling plinths.
To make a miter box yourself, you must perform the following steps:
- Take any solid foundation and draw a line on it.
- Then they retreat about 10 cm and draw a line parallel to it.
- Draw a line through the parallels at right angles to them.
- Measure 5 cm from this line on each mowing line and connect opposite points.
- The resulting mowing lines form an angle of 45 degrees with the parallels.
To cut the skirting board using a homemade miter box, the product is laid along the parallels and cut along the marks, taking into account the direction of the corner.
However, it should be understood that for angles other than 90 degrees, it is necessary to cut the skirting board at a different slope. In this case, the product is applied to the wall and its boundaries are outlined. Then the place of intersection of the skirting boards is determined and the corresponding marks are put. The baguette cut is performed according to these marks.
Before gluing the skirting boards to the ceiling in the corners, you need to prepare the tools that will be needed when gluing the ceiling skirting board:
- To calculate the required amount of materials, you need a tape measure.
- It is recommended to fix the ceiling skirting boards with quick-drying glue or putty.
- You can knead the adhesive in a previously prepared container, it is best to apply the putty with a spatula.
- Remove excess glue or putty with a dry, clean cloth.
- For cutting skirting boards at a certain angle, it is best to use a miter box.
- Direct cutting of products is performed with a sharp construction knife or file.
It is recommended to glue the ceiling plinth on a pre-filled and leveled wall. As for the wallpaper, they are glued after the fillets are installed. In this case, the fastening of the elements will be more durable. In addition, when gluing new wallpaper, there is no need to change the ceiling plinth, since wallpaper strips are glued along the lower edge of the fillet. Fixing over the wallpaper reduces the fixing strength of the skirting board and requires its dismantling when changing the finishing material for the walls.
The problem of how to properly glue the ceiling plinth in the corners is recommended to be solved using acrylic or silicone glue, characterized by fast drying, or on a construction putty. With the help of a putty, the skirting board is glued directly to the wall, the frieze is glued to the wallpaper using quick-drying glue. When using these materials for fixing products, there is no need to hold the elements for a long time to set the adhesive backing. In addition, with putty, you can simultaneously repair wall defects in the form of irregularities and cracks.
How to fit skirting boards part 1: measuring & cutting
Using a thread or construction cord, it is necessary to draw a control line in accordance with the width of the frieze. In this case, you can count on a more even gluing of the ceiling plinth, and the process itself will not cause much trouble.
Selection of material and calculation of the number of skirting boards
Ceiling plinths are very popular, for the manufacture of which polystyrene, polyurethane and expanded polystyrene were used. The main advantages of such products are lightness, resistance to moisture and temperature extremes. Thanks to the various widths and a large selection of patterns and reliefs, it becomes possible to choose a skirting board to create any decorative effect. Additional coloring of the ceiling plinths makes it possible to create a variety of artistic decor.
The problem of how to stick polystyrene and expanded polystyrene skirting boards on the ceiling should be solved with extreme caution, since they are easily deformed and damaged by mechanical stress. As for polyurethane fillets, such design elements are characterized by increased strength and the ability to maintain a clear relief shape.
Polyvinyl chloride ceiling plinth is widely used in cases where the budget for renovation and decoration of the premises is limited. However, when using it, it should be remembered that such products are not recommended to be painted. In addition, PVC skirting boards are afraid of temperature extremes, under their influence, product deformation may occur.
When choosing plaster, wood or aluminum skirting boards for ceiling decoration, you should remember a few very important points. First, such products cannot be bent due to the low ductility of the base material. Secondly, the skirting boards are quite heavy. The presence of these qualities makes the solution to the question of how to glue fillets on the ceiling, special.
Before you go shopping for skirting boards, you need to make a few calculations. In particular, it is required to determine how much material is required to decorate the ceiling in a room of a certain area. First, you should measure the perimeter of the room, this value will correspond to the total length of the ceiling plinth. To calculate the number of fillets, it is necessary to divide the perimeter of the room by the standard length of the products, which corresponds to 1.2 meters, 1.4 meters and 2 meters. Experienced craftsmen performing finishing work recommend purchasing skirting boards of greater length, in this case, fewer connections are obtained.
The width of the plinth is determined according to the height of the ceilings in the room. In rooms with low ceilings, it is better to use narrow products; for high rooms, it is recommended to install a wide ceiling plinth. This visually reduces the height of the room.
Gluing the ceiling plinth
For high-quality gluing of the baguette, you must do the following:
- Take a baguette and put glue on its back.
- The place of fixation of the product can be moistened with a primer or plain water to increase the adhesion of surfaces.
- The plinth is firmly pressed against the wall and ceiling and held for a while.
- Excess glue or putty is removed immediately.
- The resulting cracks and gaps are covered with putty.
If necessary, the skirting boards are painted in the desired color.
To decide how to properly saw down the outer corner, you must act in a strictly defined way:
- The first step, as in the case of the inner corner, is to mark on the ceiling and apply the necessary marks on it with a pencil.
- At the second stage, the plinth blank should be installed close to the near wall of the miter box.
- Holding the plank with your left hand, turn the handle to the left 45 degrees with a hacksaw and cut off the plinth.
- To saw off the striker, place it closer to the front wall of the device, holding it with your right hand. Saw off the skirting board at a 45-degree slope by turning the handle to the right.
- After that, the cut pieces are joined together and, if necessary, the surfaces are trimmed, forming an outer corner.
- Making the right measurements.
- We install the plinth strip in the miter box so that this position exactly coincides with the placement on the ceiling.
- The plinth should be firmly pressed against the opposite wall of the miter box. Hold and press with your free hand.
- We put a hacksaw at an angle of 45 ° in a special hole and cut off the part.
How to cut a corner with a miter box
- A U-shaped box is mounted from three wooden planks or planks. On its walls, grooves are marked and cut out at the desired slopes.
- Two wooden boards knock together strictly in perpendicular planes. A pattern is applied to the paper in the form of lines with an incline of 45 degrees for cutting. The workpiece is applied to the corner, pressed against it by hand, as in the case of using a miter box, and the paper template is located on the opposite side. Fillet cutting is carried out with orientation on the mowing line drawn on paper. Anything that forms a right angle can be used when cutting a ceiling plinth.
It is most rational to use a miter box when the walls in contact are strictly perpendicular to the plane. In other cases, these tasks can be solved by marking the plinth on the ceiling. This method allows you to take into account all deviations in the size of the corner, as well as the unevenness of the walls.
It is important to carry out the work in a specific order:
- First, two workpieces are cut along a straight vertical mowing line.
- At the next stage, it is necessary to attach one bar, resting it on the perpendicular wall with its end, and then do the same operations with the second bar.
- Contour the ceiling with a pencil.
- The point of intersection of the drawn contours will mean the mark at which the plinth is cut, forming an angle in the ceiling plinth.
- Then you should reapply each bar in turn and mark on them the cut line connecting its two edges.
- The skirting board is cut along the intended lines, after which its two parts must be joined and attached to the installation site.
If you tried as best you could, but a small gap at the junction still “got out” do not be discouraged. In wooden fillets, such a gap is easily covered with furniture wax. To cover the gap on the baseboards made of polyurethane, foam, plastic or gypsum, a putty is perfect. Naturally, the color of the composition should match the color of the skirting board.
Wide ceiling fillets are certainly beautiful, but they can only be mounted on perfectly flat walls. If the plane of the wall in relation to the ceiling is a wave, then it is better to buy narrow polyurethane fillets, they are elastic and will smooth out this drawback.
Most of the questions arise about how to cut the wallpaper for the ceiling plinth. There is nothing complicated here: the wallpaper is glued with a slight overlap on the baseboards and when the wall is completely glued, take a large spatula, apply it to the corner and cut off the excess along the blade with a knife.
But keep in mind. neither the knife nor the spatula can be torn off the wall until you have passed the entire plane. That is, they put a spatula from the corner, cut off the wallpaper along the length of the blade, and then, without taking the blade off the wall, move and cut it until you reach the next corner.
Three working ways to trim skirting boards
With a good eye and accuracy of hand action, you can use a homemade template that resembles an imitation of a miter box. To do this, take a thin board or thick plywood, and draw the layout in the form of a horizontal rectangle. Use a protractor to mark 45 degrees, on the right and left sides of the rectangle.
Draw the mowing line connecting the opposite edges. Now you can solve the problem of how to cut the ceiling plinth with this layout. The actions are simple and similar to the description above in the first option. Only the ceiling parts should not be inserted, but placed on the drawing and the hacksaw should be combined with the layout of the layout.
Description of methods for gluing ceiling skirting boards (cornices) to the ceiling. Method of gluing with glue, putty and sealant. How to make even corners on the ceiling.
Internal corner cutting is performed step by step in a specific order:
- First, you should measure the desired length of the plinth on the ceiling.
- Install the workpiece bar inside the miter box as it will be located on the ceiling.
- Press the workpiece against the far wall of the tool, holding it with your left hand.
- The next step is to set the file at a 45-degree angle so that its handle is as close as possible to the left hand. Trim the skirting board without applying too much pressure on the saw.
- Next, you need to cut off the striker. For this, the workpiece is installed to the far wall.
- We hold it with our right hand.
- Turn the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees. In this case, the handle must be turned to the right. After that, you can cut off the skirting board.
- At the end of the trimming, the inner corner of the ceiling plinth is checked by joining the planks.
By following this algorithm, you can get the job done with millimeter precision. And the question of how to trim the inner corner will already be closed.
Which skirting board is better?
Before you cut the corners correctly on the ceiling plinth, you need to choose the right one.
Tip: the ceiling plinth will look harmonious if its width is selected correctly. The higher the walls, the wider the skirting board should be.
The most durable, moisture resistant and elastic are polyurethane fillets and cutting a corner from such a ceiling plinth is not very easy. However, all these positive qualities are “covered” by one significant drawback. they do not withstand sudden changes in temperature, which does not allow them to be used in all rooms.
For example, in a kitchen where there is a gas or electric stove, polyurethane fillets will retain their original appearance for about a week. After that, with frequent cooking, when hot air rises to the ceiling, then falls, they will begin to deform, spoiling the whole “picture”.
Skirting boards made from other materials also have their drawbacks.
For example, products made of polyvinyl chloride have increased electrostaticity and if dents appear on their surface during operation, it will be impossible to remove them. At the slightest mechanical impact, ceiling skirting boards made of expanded polystyrene and polystyrene break.
If we talk about which ceiling plinth for stretch ceilings or ordinary ceilings is better, then the exact answer here, probably, will not be possible. Since each of them has its own positive and negative qualities. Therefore, you still have to make a choice, starting from the financial resources that you have, and on the conditions under which the fillet will be operated.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners without a miter box the first time
How to cut the corners of the skirting board. Photo 1
Probably everyone who at least once carried out repair work with their own hands faced the problem of cutting out the outer and inner corners of the ceiling plinth. Ceiling skirting board, also called fillet, is used in repairs in order to hide the uneven border between the wall and the ceiling and to give the interior completeness. How to cut a corner of a skirting board without a miter box? We will talk about this in our article.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners without a miter box? If you don’t have a miter box on hand, it doesn’t matter. You can cut the outer and inner corner without a miter box.
Fillets on the market today are available in different sizes, shapes and colors, with and without relief patterns. The material from which they are made is also different. These are mainly: polyurethane, expanded polystyrene, polystyrene and polyvinyl chloride. But recently, the most popular in the repair work has become a wooden ceiling plinth. Its aesthetic appearance allows you to add elegance and rigor to the design of the room.
How to cut corners without a miter box?
At first glance, it seems that cutting the corner of the ceiling plinth is not difficult. cut the edges of the plinths at an angle of 45 degrees and glued them. However, this is not at all the case. Each corner of the room can differ in its parameters, for example, one 90 degrees, the other 88 or 92.
This difference is the norm, especially in buildings over 30 years old. Therefore, if you simply cut the skirting board at an angle of 45 degrees and glue it on the border between the ceiling and the wall, a gap may form that should not be there. How to dock the ceiling plinth so that there are no gaps? So, let’s begin.
First you need to prepare a tool that will trim the edges of the skirting boards. This can be a metal saw or a regular sharp knife.
How to cut the inner corner of a skirting board without a miter box? The answer lies on the surface.
Take a skirting board and attach it to the corner in the same way as you will glue it. Using a pencil, draw a line along the baseboard on the ceiling. Remove the fillet.
We carry out the first step. Photo 2
Place the second skirting board on the other side of the corner where it meets the first. Follow the same procedure as with the first one. As a result, you should have the markup.
How to cut a ceiling plinth. Photo 3
Take the plinth, lean it tightly against the place to which you will glue, and transfer to it the point of contact of the two straight lines drawn earlier on the ceiling. From this point, draw the line to the opposite edge of the baseboard. This line will be the cut point.
We carry out the correct markup. Photo 4
Do the same for the second skirting board.
Here we cut off two skirting boards. Photo 5
Cut the edges of the skirting boards along the intended mowing line.
Attach the cut skirting boards to the corner. If the place of their joint has no gaps, you can start gluing the fillet. If there are gaps or irregularities, correct the cut corners with a knife.
How to cut the outer corner of a ceiling plinth? When creating an outer corner, the top should protrude above the bottom, the inner. the opposite is true.
Whatever ceiling you glue the plinth to, whether it is the ceiling in the bedroom or kitchen, do not rush, measure everything carefully. This will help you avoid spoiling the material.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners: instructions and recommendations
A high-quality renovation presupposes an attentive and accurate attitude to details. Finishing the work with the ceiling, you need to arrange it well. for this, ceiling plinths are used. As a rule, the installation of the planks does not cause any particular difficulties; you will have to tinker with the corners. Let’s take a closer look at how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, talk about different methods, and give useful recommendations.
Ceiling plinths from any material can be cut using one of the methods described below. They are suitable for everyone except for plastic ones: they are made out using ready-made corners.
What tools will be needed?
For ceiling plinths, the following tools may come in handy, depending on the chosen method of work:
- Saw on wood. Suitable for working with wooden ceiling plinths.
- Metal sheet. Suitable for other types of skirting boards (foam, plastic, etc.).
- Miter box. The tool is a chute, which has the shape of an inverted P, where mowing lines are outlined at angles of 45 ° and 90 ° for cutting.
- Electric miter saw. Can be used instead of a miter box, helps to achieve high cutting accuracy.
- Electric jigsaw. Easy to operate, with the help of it you can efficiently and correctly cut a corner without burrs.
- Stationery or construction knife. Suitable for foam skirting boards, it is important that it has an excellent cutting blade, and therefore must be well sharpened.
Making corners using a miter box
If the walls and corners of the room are even, you can use a miter box for work. In order to cut the corner correctly, the part in which the person will make a gash should be laid inside the miter box, then insert the saw into the guides. This holds the part in place and can be cut at the desired angle. For high-quality cutting of the plinth, it must simultaneously adhere to both surfaces, so it should be pressed against the wall of the miter box. The ceiling plinth is pressed with the side that is closer to you.
With a miter box, you will need to cut a 45-degree angle. First you need to decide how to position the plinth in the miter box. To avoid confusion and cut correctly, place the right plank on the right and the left plank on the left.
Follow the instructions below:
- Press the part of the miter box that will be on the ceiling to the bottom of the miter box. The other side will be lifted up and closer to you. It can be resting on the wall of the tool, and then it will not stagger when cutting.
- Determine the direction of the cut as shown in this figure, and then cut the corner.
- Fold the cut pieces together. you have an inside or outside corner.
Place it on the ceiling and check the geometry. If it is not even enough, it can be slightly corrected with a knife, and in the case of minor defects and wide gaps, you can use a putty.
How to cut skirting boards using decorative corners
With the help of them, you can easily and quickly obtain the desired angles in polystyrene or polyurethane skirting boards. Install them on the ceiling, and then glue the strips to them tightly. Cutting them is easy using a clerical knife.
We cut the corners of the ceiling plinth without a miter box
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box? To work, you will need a well-sharpened pencil, a small piece of plinth, a stationery knife (for polystyrene or polyurethane) or a metal saw (for other materials), a ruler.
You need to attach the plinth to the corner and draw the line with a pencil along the outer edge, then attach to the other side of the corner and also mark. As a result, a cross will turn out on the ceiling, the center of which will mark the place where the plinths of the ceiling plinth should converge. Place a piece of skirting board where you will glue it. Resting the end against the wall, transfer the desired mark to it. This way you can cut the corners of the skirting board without a miter box.
How to join skirting boards in the corners
When a certain part of the plinth is glued and a small distance remains to the corner, so as not to be mistaken with the length, it is necessary to leave a margin. To begin with, you can cut off a piece that will be 10-15 cm longer. Then cut the corner in a convenient way, try it on a dry surface, attach the plank to the ceiling and highlight the place to which it needs to be shortened. Undercutting is performed at an angle of 90 °.
Next, you need to correctly join the corners. The made ceiling moldings are attached at an angle of 38-45 °, so the classic 45 ° is not always suitable at the joints. In various cases, the cut edges do not join and leave gaps. For this reason, after the initial trimming of the corners, it is necessary to carry out a “dry” and most accurate joining of the baguettes directly to the ceiling. Especially have to tinker with wood and plastic materials.
Having completed the rough joining of the skirting boards, glue or screw the fillets to the walls and ceiling, then, if necessary, use a putty and seal the seams at the end.
Important points on how to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners
Let’s consider how to correctly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth and get an excellent result the first time. Follow a few helpful tips:
- Before fastening, both parts must be matched to each other. Place both halves together. The surface of the wall must be dry. Having found defects, you can easily level them with a knife.
- Several trims may be required. Don’t be discouraged if it takes a long time and has to make a few trims, especially if this is your first time doing the job.
- Determine the correct length of the planks in the corners. For the inner corner, the length of the plank must be adjusted exactly from corner to corner; on the outer corner, the measurement is taken from the inner point in the direction of the room.
- If the corners generally match perfectly, but there are small gaps in the middle, they can be repaired with a putty.