Is it possible to assemble a sandwich chimney with your own hands?
It is quite possible to assemble a multi-layer sandwich with your own hands. This will require a stainless steel pipe, rolled mineral insulation, the main condition is its incombustibility. And galvanized sheet steel, which the structure will be wrapped in, this is necessary to protect the insides of the product from external factors.
The main conditions that must be met are the heat resistance of the inner pipe, high-quality thermal insulation with non-combustible materials and reliable fixation of the protective shell.
Let’s start creating a sandwich pipe for a chimney with our own hands:
- The stainless steel pipe is wrapped with mineral insulation. The insulation should fit snugly to the inner pipe, the insulation should lie flat, without wrinkles and gaps;
- We fix the insulation on the pipe with metal wire or clamps. Mineral wool must be securely fixed to the base;
- We wrap the galvanized steel sheet evenly and accurately around the resulting structure, fix the sheet itself by welding or special fasteners for sheet metal.
The resulting pipe is inferior in quality to prefabricated sandwich products, has a shorter service life, but, nevertheless, costs a little less.
Often on the Internet it is recommended to replace the inner channel made of stainless material with ordinary steel, but in no case should this be done, since ordinary steel does not withstand high temperatures and can burn out.
Invention of the graph or sandwich pipe for chimneys
The term “sandwich” dates back to 1762. So called closed sandwiches in honor of Earl John Sandwich. Nowadays, this term is used in structural materials as a designation for multilayer composite structures. The advantages of a composite of several layers are well known, they are increased structural strength, the ability to use a soft or fragile material as a core, such as insulation, for example. The use of sandwich structures in construction is diverse. It is worth considering another application of a multilayer device. sandwich pipes for chimneys. details. in our material.
Read in the article
Sandwich pipes for chimneys. a luxury or a panacea?
The traditional materials for the chimney were brickwork, metal, ceramic and modern sandwich chimney for the furnace. The disadvantages of such chimneys are known, but it is worth comparing the advantages and disadvantages of certain chimney systems:
- Brick chimney. The reliability and functionality of such a structure depends entirely on its weight. Therefore, a reinforced foundation for the oven is needed. The brick chimney is heavy, which affects its base, and also requires a large investment in construction and maintenance. The construction of a brick pipe is a laborious and complex process. Bricks crumble and deform from the influence of temperature changes, over time the brickwork requires repair. The maintenance of such a pipe is also complicated, due to irregularities on the inner surface of the chimney, soot and soot begins to accumulate there, which must be periodically cleaned;
- Steel pipe, as a stove. Again, due to the high temperature loads on the wall, its sufficient thickness is required, and the thicker the wall, the heavier the product itself. In addition, steel, under the influence of temperature, can burn out, and condensation on its surface can lead to corrosion of the metal, and the subsequent failure of the pipe. The installation of such a chimney is also difficult, requiring either the use of a single piece or the use of special connection methods such as welding. The advantage of such a chimney device is its price;
- Ceramic pipes, products from a clay mixture that have undergone heat treatment, have high heat-resistant characteristics, and are installed quite well. Long lasting. The disadvantage is high weight and, compared with metal, low strength characteristics.
- Chimney pipe sandwich. Lightweight construction, consisting of separate, easy-to-connect modules. Installation does not require special equipment and experience. The structure can be displayed in any direction, including in a horizontal or inclined position. The simplicity of the device should also be noted: fasteners and individual modules. The sandwich furnace pipe consists of three layers: an inner channel made of heat-resistant steel, a layer of insulation and an outer, protective pipe. The chimney itself is light enough, so its fixation will not cause any special problems. The inner surface of the pipe is smooth, made of heat-resistant alloy steel, which greatly facilitates its cleaning. Insulation will protect steel from condensation and corrosion. The outer, protective shell serves to protect the insulation from the external environment.
It is clear that chimneys and chimneys of sandwich structures are slightly more expensive than ordinary steel ones, but during the service life (which is 25 years) all the costs for the composite will pay off, since, unlike steel, these chimneys do not burn out and do not rust.
Beauty takes weight
Reviews of the chimney sandwich pipes are also sustained in a positive way. Users appreciated the ease of installation of the structure, its durability and appearance.
Earl Sandwich Trumpet
Chimneys for a gas boiler in a private house. From this review you will learn: varieties, average and design features; rules, requirements for work and features of chimney installation, expert recommendations.
Calculator for calculating the minimum diameter of a sandwich chimney for solid fuel stoves
Multilayer pipes for ovens: why are they needed
The chimney is a necessary element of a heating system that works by burning fuel, it provides the output of fuel combustion waste: carbon monoxide and smoke. The working conditions of the chimney can hardly be called light. Due to the fact that the height of the chimney reaches large dimensions, the material must withstand high vertical loads, work when exposed to an open flame and high temperatures also makes its own demands. In addition, the material must withstand constant temperature fluctuations outside the pipe surface and inside it.
The surface inside the chimney for the stove must be smooth and allow the chimney to be cleaned, since during combustion, in addition to gaseous products, soot and soot are formed, which settle on the inner surface of the chimney, making it difficult to exhaust the chimney and threatening the danger of fire and subsequent fire.
All requirements for chimney pipes are met by sandwich pipes for the chimney device. These pipes consist of an inner channel made of stainless, heat-resistant steel, covered with a layer of mineral insulation. On top of the insulation, a protective shell is installed, made of stainless or galvanized steel or sheet metal covered with a powder protective coating.
Coated sandwich pipe
Outer jacket joining seam can be welded by automatic welding or seamed seam.
For the manufacture of the inner tube, stainless alloy steels of the following grades are used:
- AISI430, a relatively inexpensive stainless steel, can withstand fluctuations in temperature. Fastening is most often with the help of a seam seam, since this metal is poorly welded;
- AISI439, steel alloyed with titanium, which made it possible to achieve increased heat resistance, has good anti-corrosion characteristics;
- AISI316, nickel-molybdenum alloy steel of increased heat resistance, recommended for boilers on liquid fuel and gas heaters;
- AISI304, a close inexpensive analogue of 416;
- AISI321, the most demanded heat-resistant alloy steel, has excellent anti-corrosion and heat-resistant properties;
- AISI106S, a relatively rare high-temperature alloy, extremely high heat resistance characteristics, practically does not corrode. It is used for expensive products operating under high thermal loads.
It should be noted that both galvanized carbon steels and inexpensive alloyed steels are used for the outer shell, the second option is more resistant to external factors, but at the same time, the cost of products with its use is quite high.
As a heater for sandwich pipes, mineral, non-combustible heaters such as mineral wool or basalt are usually used.
To connect the pipe modules to each other, one edge of the pipe or fittings has a socket, on the other side there is a corrugated narrowed area, which serves to wedge in the socket and create a reliable connection that is impermeable to gas and smoke.
Sizes of sandwich pipe modules
A sandwich pipe for chimneys with a diameter of 115-120 mm is considered the main one for a small country house or summer cottage. The heating system in such houses rarely exceeds 3.5 kW. For systems of greater power (from 5 kW), pipes with diameters of 180 mm are used, for heating systems with a capacity of over 7 kW, pipes with a diameter of 220 mm or more are used. The range of sizes of a sandwich pipe for chimneys is wide and you can quickly and easily select the required diameter according to SNiP standards.
When calculating the diameter of the sandwich, do not forget about other elements of the chimney: fasteners, clamps, start-sandwich, slide damper module, transitions through ceilings or walls.
But, not only the diameter of the sandwich pipe for the chimney is important, the height of the module is no less important. It is necessary to calculate the length of the chimney, taking into account the exit of the pipe above the ridge of the house to a height of up to 1.5 meters, the height of the exit of the pipe depends on a number of factors and it must be selected individually, but on average the length of the exit is 0.5-1 meter above the ridge of the roof. Sandwich pipe modules come in several versions, common: 0.25, 0.5 and 1 meter high.
Metal box for transition
Do-it-yourself chimney installation from sandwich pipes
It is better to start work on the installation of a chimney from the design stage of the house. But there are times when the house has already been built, but the chimney must either be replaced or a new one must be installed. What to do in this case? First, it’s worth watching a video on how to install a chimney from a sandwich pipe:
How to cut a plastic pipe straight.
When installing plastic sewerage or plastic water supply (heating), it is often necessary to cut the pipe to dock it with another pipe. Professionals use special scissors to cut water pipes.
- Simple models make it possible to cut pipes up to 26 mm in diameter. The price of such scissors is 10-15.
- Shears for pipes up to 42 mm in diameter, the most popular. The price of such scissors is 20-30.
- Shears for pipes with a diameter of up to 75 mm, can be used for cutting metal-plastic pipes. The price of such scissors is 50-150.
If you are not going to buy such scissors yet, for the simple reason that you need to make 5-10 cuts, then you can do it without scissors, although it will take much more time. To make the cut fairly even and as close to a right angle as possible, stick masking tape around the pipe around the pipe next to the cut mark.
If the beginning of the strip matches the end, then you have glued the tape correctly. If the beginning of the tape and the end are more than 2 mm apart. better to re-glue. The adhesive tape should be glued evenly, without wrinkles and distortions. The wider the tape, the more accurate the resulting line will be.
Before cutting the pipe, it is advisable to fix it in order to make it easier to cut. If you do not have a carpenter’s workbench (and where does it come from in an ordinary apartment), you can screw two wooden blocks to an old table or to an old stool so that a pipe fits between them. In this case, the pipe will still need to be held, but it will not ride. If you need to make a lot of cuts, then it is better to make special bars and press the pipe with them:
Now you can cut, you can do it in the following ways:
Hacksaw for metal.
The most common way. The only drawback. the cut may turn out to be a curve, in order to avoid this, it is advisable not to cut immediately, but to turn the pipe 3-6 times. It will look something like this:
The fastest and most convenient way after scissors. But the cut can also turn out to be a little oblique on sewer pipes with a diameter of 50 mm. Here, too, it is advisable not to cut immediately, but turn the pipe 2-3 times. If you need to saw off a pipe with a diameter of 100 mm or more, then first you need to drill a number of holes with a thin drill (2.5-3 mm) in order to insert a jigsaw file into the pipe.
Hand circular saw.
This method is only suitable for thick-walled water pipes.
If the cut is still not very even or not straight, the end of the pipe can be processed with a sandpaper. And at the end of the sewer pipe for better joining, you need to chamfer, this can be done with a knife, but it is more convenient with the same sandpaper.
And you also have a unique opportunity to help the author financially. After successfully completing the transfer, a thank you page with an email address will open. If you would like to ask a question, please use this address. Thank. If the page did not open, then most likely you made a transfer from another Yandex wallet, but in any case, you do not need to worry. The main thing is that when making a transfer, please indicate your e-mail exactly and I will definitely contact you. Plus, you can always add your comment. details in the article “Make an appointment with the doctor”
For terminals, Yandex Wallet number is 410012390761783
For Ukraine. hryvnia card number (Privatbank) 5168 7422 0121 5641
Webmoney wallet: R158114101090
It is easier to cut off an angle grinder with a 0.8-1.0 mm disc, with its help you can deburr the end face
Note: Perhaps your question, especially if it concerns structural analysis, will not appear in the general list or will remain unanswered, even if you ask it 20 times in a row. Why is explained in sufficient detail in the article “Make an appointment with the doctor” (link in the site header).
Pipes for free-flow sewerage. high quality and inexpensive pipes in stock.
Chimney devices: basic design requirements
When organizing a modular chimney, a number of requirements must be observed:
- Flue channels of furnaces and boilers for solid fuels must ensure complete removal of combustion products into the atmosphere;
- It is better to provide a separate chimney for each stove, fireplace or boiler;
- The pipes must be installed vertically, without reducing the cross section. The cross-sectional area of the chimney pipe must not be less than the area of the flue pipe of the heater;
- Metal pipes must be made of high quality alloy steel with increased corrosion resistance and a wall thickness of at least 1 mm;
- The joints of the overhead pipe links should be placed outside the interfloor and attic floors;
- In chimneys, it is necessary to provide devices for cleaning channels from soot deposits;
- Building structures made of combustible materials (walls, partitions, ceilings, beams) adjacent to the smoke ducts should be protected from fire by cutting from non-combustible materials;
- When smoke channels cross overlappings made of combustible materials, horizontal cuts are required;
- The dimensions of the chimney are determined by the diameter and height, the diameter is calculated based on the power of the equipment, the width of its outlet, the number and nature of obstacles in the path of smoke;
- The chimney height above the pitched roof must be: at least 0.5 m above the roof ridge when the chimney is located at a distance of up to 1.5 m from the ridge; not lower than the ridge of the roof when the chimney is located 1.5-3 m from the ridge; not lower than a mowing line drawn from the ridge down at an angle of 10 ° to the horizon when the chimney is located at a distance of more than 3 m from the ridge (see diagram);
- The height of the chimney above a flat roof must be at least 0.5 m;
- When designing, it is important to comply with the requirements for the horizontal sections of the chimney. Their length should not exceed 1 m.
How to Cut PVC or ABS Pipe Straight
Regardless of the angle of inclination of the roof, chimneys that are 1.5 m higher than its level must be additionally fixed with braces on the bracket.
Important points when installing a chimney with your own hands
Depending on the construction method, all chimneys can be divided into two main groups: internal and external. Below we will consider in more detail in which cases one or another option is chosen.
The internal structure of the chimney is used for the construction of heating systems based on heating boilers or fireplaces. These systems are usually installed inside walls. After the installation is completed, the chimneys are closed in the thickness of the wall and decorated. The advantages of this system are that it is not susceptible to condensation and is perfectly protected from atmospheric moisture.
The combustion products passing through the chimney have a high temperature. And the section of the wall next to the chimney gets very hot and may even catch fire. Therefore, internal chimneys should not be installed in walls made of flammable building materials. These systems are also not recommended for powerful boilers.
An external chimney is installed in industrial plants with large heating systems. It is customary to install them on an area of more than 600 heated rooms. Such a chimney is also installed if the installation of an internal chimney is fraught with a number of difficulties. For example, in a room with concrete floors and walls, it will be easier to punch a slab than to gouge a channel in the wall.
Stage three. Chimney fixing
All elbows and other structural parts are connected with clamps, and the tee is additionally attached with brackets. If the top of the structure is not secured, then it is additionally insured with at least the same guy wires. Additional fastening of the docking elements looks like this: the pipes are fixed to each other by means of clamps, but with other elements (such as, for example, an adapter) also with clamps, but on both sides.
Note! The chimney bracket, if desired, can be made with your own hands. For this, a couple of corners are taken (5 and 3 centimeters, respectively) and everything is constructed using an electric drill, an angle grinder and bolts M-8 and M-10.
How to make the correct calculation of the chimney for a fireplace
200 degrees is enough for the wood to start charring, so installing a chimney in a house from a bar is a difficult, serious and responsible process. Installation is necessary so that combustion products do not enter the room, and the structure does not accidentally catch fire.
Before installing the chimney, all pipes must be adjusted in length. The resulting structure must be placed in a previously prepared channel. Next, connect the condenser and the stove to the system. The finish is considered to be the installation of the head.
For rigid fixation of the pipe, it is attached to the wall every one and a half meters.
When installing steel or cast iron pipes, it is necessary to provide for good thermal insulation of the chimney pipe. This will prevent the adjacent ceilings from catching fire due to a leaky chimney. For high-quality insulation of a metal pipe, refractory clay is used. With the help of clay, they also decorate the joints of the pipe and chimney.
When using a metal pipe, you need to fix it to the ceiling every half a meter. In addition, the mounting holes must be made wider, about two pipe diameters.
The installation of cast iron chimney pipes is justified, since such pipes will last much longer. But their installation is associated with certain difficulties. For example, a cast iron pipe can only be cut with an angle grinder.
We say goodbye to our dear reader and wish him good luck in the difficult task of building a house and installing a boiler or fireplace with a chimney. Subscribe to the newsletter of our site. and you will have the most complete and comprehensive information about the methods and features of performing even complex installation work for the improvement of the house and estate.
The main difficulties of installing a chimney
The chimney serves to remove combustion products of various types of fuel (gas, coal, firewood, oil products, etc.). Its laying through the roof of the house must be carried out in accordance with the requirements of SNiP 41-01-2003, which are partially outdated. Nevertheless, this document is guided by the supervisory services, therefore, it is necessary to follow the standards specified in it.
A chimney outlet through the roof may be required in the following cases:
- when building a new house;
- in the process of reconstruction of the roofing system in the presence of a heating unit;
- when installing an autonomous heat supply source in an already operated building.
If the construction of a building or reconstruction of the roof allows you to design a chimney outlet taking into account all the requirements, then the installation of a chimney through the finished roof will create many problems. Usually, this situation arises when the owners of the house wish to install a fireplace or stove in an already finished building. If we are talking about an automatic boiler, it is recommended to create a separate extension for the boiler room, or bring the chimney through the wall of the building.
The main difficulty in installing the chimney is that the roofing cake through which the pipe passes is largely composed of materials that are not designed for close contact with highly heated objects. The composition of the roofing cake includes:
- roof covering;
- counter lattice;
- vapor barrier layer;
- inner lining.
Wood, bituminous and polymeric materials are sensitive to high temperatures, therefore, according to SNiP, the gap between a brick, concrete or ceramic chimney in insulation and elements of the roofing cake must be at least 130 mm. If the ceramic pipe is not insulated, the clearance must be at least 250 mm. It should also be taken into account that at the place of passage through the roof, the pipe must have a special thickening. a retreat. Accordingly, a significant opening is required in the roofing cake. The gap between the pipe and the roof after the installation of the flue must be somehow reliably heat and waterproof.
Can I use an asbestos chimney
Every person who has decided to build a bath has a difficult moment when choosing a material for building a chimney. I want to make a smoke evacuation system quickly and inexpensively.
Pottery is good, but expensive, brick is also great, but difficult. Metal can be used, but a welding machine is required to make a chimney.
And here some “specialists” come to the rescue, who unanimously propose to use an asbestos pipe as a chimney.
There are a lot of arguments in favor of its use. The most important: “Look, I have had an asbestos chimney for 50 years, and it will stand the same amount, and nothing happened to it.”.
The second argument is already on its way: “The chimney is installed simply, quickly, and tomorrow you will test the steam room”, and the deadlines are running out.
And when you first thought about it, someone will definitely say: “Yes, I have a lot of them, let’s go, I’ll give you free.” After this, 90% of developers agree with the proposal, since the last argument almost always wins.
Let’s figure out if the asbestos chimney is so good.
- Benefits of using asbestos
- Disadvantages of asbestos pipe
- Can an asbestos pipe be used and under what conditions
- Insulation technology
- How to fix an asbestos chimney
Can an asbestos pipe be used and under what conditions
It is possible to use an asbestos-cement pipe for chimneys if several conditions are met.
- The main condition for the use of an asbestos product as a chimney for a bath is installation only in areas that are at a considerable distance from the stove. You can install it as the final section of the chimney.
- The second condition is insulation and insulation. The pipe can be installed in a brick chimney or made into a sandwich using an external casing. This will significantly reduce the formation of condensation and increase fire safety.
Making a fantasy sword with Black Worbla and EVA foam. Cosplay tutorial
Advantages of using asbestos
Let’s start right away with the positive qualities of asbestos pipes, which, during the period of agricultural development, could be easily purchased (or stolen. which is preferable to whom) at many enterprises and collective farms for a penny.
- Their relative cheapness. This was due to the fact that asbestos was mined in large quantities in our country and products from it are easy to manufacture.
- They are lightweight. therefore, it is quite easy to install.
- They have no seam and are not afraid of moisture.
The easiest and cheapest way to insulate an asbestos chimney is to wrap it with a roll of insulation, for example, basalt wool, and then make waterproofing.
It is better to use foamed polyethylene foil, securing it with metal staples or wire.
If you want to know how to insulate an asbestos pipe with better quality, then the second option is suitable for you. For this, a casing for the chimney is made of galvanized metal. It should be 5-10 cm larger than the asbestos-cement product in diameter.
The elements of the casing dock together without a gap, and the gaps between the pipe and the casing are filled with insulation.
The upper border of the gap is carefully filled with cement mortar to protect the insulation from unwanted atmospheric influences.
Disadvantages of asbestos pipe
There are many more of them than advantages:
- The use of asbestos pipes in solid fuel stoves is prohibited by law. When burning wood and coal, the temperature of the exhaust gases is at around 600-800 ° C. Such a chimney can withstand a maximum of 300 ° C.
- Asbestos has a porous structure, so it easily absorbs condensation that appears on the products, which quickly destroys them. Chimney cracks cause 99% of fires.
- The inner surface in such a smoke exhaust system is not perfectly smooth, therefore soot settles very quickly on its walls, which, in turn, begins to burn over time. The temperature from burning wood and open fire quickly rises, and the asbestos chimney explodes in the full sense of the word. Who does not believe. can draw an analogy with slate, which is made from the same material. Remember what happens to him in a fire or during a fire.
- Soot, in addition to combustion, has another unpleasant feature. it gradually seals the chimney opening. The thrust gradually disappears, and the products of fuel combustion enter the bathhouse. A person engaged in health improvement, without noticing it, can inhale carbon monoxide. And this can lead to very sad consequences.
- The asbestos chimney has prepared you another nuisance. soot stains on the walls and an unpleasant smell in the steam room. The condensate is absorbed into the pipe and transferred to all materials that come into contact with it. This is what leads to the fact that the chimney itself and the structure must then be completely redone.
- The asbestos pipe has a small diameter, so the draft in it initially will not be the best.
- Due to the nature of the material, it is impossible to make an inspection hole in it, so it will be difficult to clean the chimney from soot.
How to fix an asbestos chimney
If you did not really listen to our advice and at your own peril and risk decided to make an asbestos chimney, then pay attention to some recommendations for installing this system.
- The installation of a chimney from an asbestos product should be carried out on a reinforced concrete slab or masonry.
- Pass through the overlap, fluff. To form it, you need to fix the sides of the required height along the edges of the hole and fill the gaps between the floor material and the pipe with non-combustible material. It is best to use expanded clay, sand, cinder concrete, etc. for filling.
- When passing through the roof, you need to make an otter, which will protect the attic from precipitation inside it. For its reliable fixation, a special coupling is formed from a cement-sand mortar.
- Sections of the asbestos chimney are carefully connected to each other using heat-resistant sealant and special clamps.
Important! Keep track of the quality of the joints, the fire safety of the bath and your health depend on it.
We do not recommend using an asbestos-cement pipe for the chimney.
Better to spend more money on sandwich pipes, or find a good stove-maker and build a brick chimney. There are many different options and methods for safe and modern smoke removal, and it is about them that we talk about on the pages of our resource.
Assembling a sandwich chimney with your own hands is not so difficult, although it differs in some features. For installation, the following tools and materials must be prepared:
- set of modules according to the terms of delivery;
- special pass-through roofing unit master-flash;
- asbestos cardboard;
- basalt wool, steel sheet;
- sandwich mesh;
- screwdriver, hacksaw, silicone sealant, roofing scissors.
It should be remembered that it is prohibited to place chimneys closer than 260 mm from the wall surface.!
The procedure for assembling a sandwich chimney is as follows:
Installation diagram of a sandwich chimney.
- Preparation of all necessary technological openings in the roof, ceiling, based on the fact that the minimum distance from the pipe to unprotected structures should be from 380 mm. If this distance is less, then it is necessary to lay a layer of basalt wool and nail the prepared steel sheet on top.
- Next, a sandwich mesh is placed, that is, a starting module that increases the efficiency, the resource of the chimney. The installation of such a module directly on the furnace is not allowed due to the installation conditions. This greatly simplifies installation.
- We start assembly in this way: outer pipes. through smoke, inner pipes. through condensation. We insert the inner part into the lower tube, the outer part into the outer tube of the lower module. In this case, all joints are carefully processed with the prepared silicone sealant;
- When passing through the ceiling, asbestos paper is used, in which a hole was previously cut for the diameter of the pipe. The box for the installation is filled with crumbs made of foam glass, expanded clay or any other loose insulation;
- The master-flash unit is needed to install the chimney through the roof. Outside, the pipes are fastened with clamps and self-tapping screws. We put a special protective umbrella at the top of the pipe so that precipitation and debris cannot get inside and clog it.
Be sure to follow the assembly instructions during installation, which the manufacturer provides: the safety of using the pipe and furnace will depend on this.
We select and install a sandwich pipe
The choice of a chimney is an important event on which the quality and safety of the removal of combustion products, the fire safety of the entire home will depend. Today, the market offers numerous options for chimney pipes that can be mounted according to various schemes, but today we will focus on such a form as a sandwich pipe.
Materials for sandwich chimneys: galvanized steel, stainless steel.
This design got its name due to the peculiarities of manufacturing, the pipe itself is a composite meter section, which is assembled from two separate pipes, separated by a heat-insulating material. The outer surface is reliably protected by a casing made of stainless or galvanized steel, with such a chimney you can not worry about the risk of accidents.
When installing sandwiches, it is necessary to install in full compliance with all the rules and recommendations, in this case the work will be performed efficiently, the safety of operation is observed.
Layout options for sandwich chimneys.
The pipe, if it comes out on a flat roof, must be installed in such a way that it protrudes slightly above the roof, from about five hundred millimeters. When the structure is located relative to the ridge, it is mounted at a distance less than 1.5 m, the height of the pipe must be at least 500 mm from the highest point of the ridge.
In the manufacture of roofing material from combustible components, the pipe must be above the roofing ridge by a meter and a half. This indicator fully complies with all fire regulations.
Pros and cons of the device
Like any design, sandwich pipes have their own advantages and disadvantages, which can be due to the installation methods, the use of certain materials and others. We propose to consider the positive and negative sides in more detail in order to determine how reliable such a design will be during operation.
First, let’s talk about the disadvantages of such a chimney. There are quite a few such disadvantages, which greatly distinguishes sandwich pipes from other analogs. It should be noted here:
- the constituent elements of the structure are quite expensive;
- short service life. only ten to fifteen years, while it is believed that ordinary chimneys can last several decades;
- constant narrowing-expansion of sections due to temperature differences causes a decrease in the tightness of the pipe.
Chimney sandwich pipe device.
But the advantages of such chimneys often outweigh the disadvantages, since there are much more of them. Let’s find out why such a chimney is attractive:
- simple and affordable installation, which distinguishes systems of this type from those requiring specialist control;
- compactness of pipes;
- design versatility, leads can go up and into the walls;
- multilayer, ensuring the absence of condensate on the pipe, settling of a large amount of soot;
- such pipes are not affected by chemically active products, high temperatures; aggressive environments that appear during operation;
- of all the options available today, sandwiches are the most fireproof;
- during installation, the rafter system is not a significant obstacle.
As we can see, sandwiches are the best option today, which helps to establish a reliable, safe, durable structure for removing combustion products from stoves in a private house or bathhouse. The disadvantages that are inherent in such pipes do not stand out from the rest, while the advantages are often a decisive factor in the purchase and installation.
The device of a sandwich chimney is quite simple, its design includes elements such as:
- anti-corrosion inner raincoat made of special steel (often stainless);
- outer casing;
- basalt thermal insulation layer.
Such furnace structures are assembled according to a scheme that ensures fire safety. Such pipes can be used in houses built of any material, they are not only convenient, but also optimal for stoves of any design.
The sandwich chimney device has some features that must be taken into account when installing it yourself. We offer several useful tips from specialists who will help you to correctly and efficiently complete all installation work in a short time:
- The best option for constructing a sandwich chimney is to install it indoors with the subsequent output of its outlet to the roof. The method of removing into the wall is used extremely rarely, its effectiveness is much lower.
- Most of the pipe should be inside the room, as this can minimize heat loss and temperature differences. Such a system will work very efficiently for a long time.
- Chimneys must have a special draft control system, this is achieved by installing a gate inside the main pipe, which makes it possible to use fuel in any weather.
- Outside, at the end of the pipe, a deflector must be installed, which provides protection against the ingress of precipitation, from blocking smoke in the pipe in very strong gusts of wind.
As you can see, the device of sandwich pipes is extremely simple and reliable, while observing all the necessary rules and requirements. We must not forget about the rules for caring for such pipes, cleaning them from foreign objects that can cause blocking of smoke.
We hope you have appreciated all the key parameters of such a chimney and now you will be understanding and serious about buying such pipes.