a saw of any manufacturer and of any class is arranged almost always the same, with the exception of small parts, which already belong to the category of convenience rather than productivity. The main driving part is an electric motor connected directly to the power supply or battery. With the help of a drive belt, the torque is transmitted to the cutting disc, which is mounted on the spindle and can be replaced either due to wear or for cutting a specific material. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the working area of the cutting disc is fenced with a reflective visor, which does not allow sawdust and small fragments of the cut material to fly apart, increasing the risk of injury.
The spindle for the disc and it itself are attached to the cuvette, that is, the body of the unit, holding the cut-off wheel in the correct position. Precise control is carried out by means of a support attached to the cuvette on a movable hinge. This version of the circular saw device today is already considered rather primitive, since it does not reflect the popular nowadays desire to make every simple device “smart”. Most modern models have more complex parts in their design that are responsible for the safety of the operator and the mechanism itself: for example, some saws are able to turn off the engine when the load on it has increased excessively, or automatically adjust the power, increasing it as the resistance from the material increases.
How to choose a handheld electric circular saw?
- Features and purpose
- How to choose?
- Rating of the best models
- Operating rules
A hand-held electric circular saw is a very popular tool, it will come in handy for a sawmill, for an apartment renovator, for a carpenter, and even for some summer residents. At the same time, the apparent simplicity of the design should not be misleading: such a tool can differ significantly from model to model, and only a reasonable selection of a specific unit will help to extract all the expected benefits from it.
Rating of the best models
The concept of the best models in the case of circular saws is very vague, because each consumer starts from his own needs. In addition, the model lines of all leading manufacturers are regularly updated, so any allocation of seats does not seem appropriate. With this in mind, consider a few popular models from leading brands.
- Makita HS7601 is one of the best home solutions. With a modest price of about 4 thousand rubles, this device is equipped with a 1200 watt motor. A disc with a diameter of 19 cm rotates at a speed of more than 5 thousand revolutions every minute, allowing you to cut materials up to 6.5 cm thick.The weight of the device with all characteristics is quite small: only 4 kg.
- Bosch GKS 190 at a price of the same 4 thousand rubles is already a worthy semi-professional solution. Although the blade has the same diameter of 19 cm, however, the thinner spindle allows you to increase the maximum cutting depth up to 7 cm. In terms of rotation speed, this saw is one of the most outstanding, providing 5.5 thousand revolutions per minute. The increase in power and the number of revolutions practically did not affect the weight: it is 4.2 kg.
- Interskol DP-165/1200 is a typical representative of the domestic industry, which is popular due to its lower cost: it does not exceed 2.5 thousand rubles. In this case, the manufacturer offers a household saw with more modest performance than the Makita HS7601: with a power of the same 1200 watts and a reduced disc with a diameter of 16.5 cm, the rotation speed did not increase, and even dropped to 4700 rpm. At the same time, both the cutting depth (decreased to 5.5 cm) and weight (increased to 4.5 kg) suffered, but for this price it is still one of the best solutions for home use.
- DeWALT DWE560 is an alternative semi-professional solution with a capacity of 1350 watts from a well-known American manufacturer. The specified power allows the 184mm disc to rotate at up to 5500 rpm per minute, cutting sheet materials up to 65mm deep. The advantage, albeit insignificant, will be some weight reduction: of all the models described, this is the lightest, since it weighs 3.7 kg.
How to choose?
Choosing one or another electrical appliance, you need to understand two things: for the sake of what tasks it is acquired and what basic characteristics should it possess for the sake of their successful solution. In the case of a saw, the power of the engine is usually considered the most fundamental moment: it depends on what size the disc is and at what speed it can rotate. The larger the circles you plan to use, the higher the power of the unit should be, but do not forget that an increase in this indicator also increases the weight of the device. In general, models with engine power below 1.2 kW are considered to be household and designed only for simple tasks, and units more powerful than 2 kW are considered professional.
The cutting depth is another important factor, because if this indicator is too small, the saw simply will not take the material intended for cutting. This criterion depends not only on the power of the motor, but also on the size of the disc socket. There are only four main typical sizes: household (up to 4.5 cm cut), semi-professional (5–5.5 cm), professional (6–7 cm) and very rare industrial (up to 14 cm). Experts advise to choose a cutting wheel with only a small margin of cutting depth, otherwise it is almost impossible to guarantee the stability of the workpiece and the tool.
Good models often have a depth-limiting function, thanks to which even larger diameters can be cut into thin sheets.
The speed of rotation of the disk in the case of dense wood should be as high as possible. this will make the cut more accurate, and the productivity will increase significantly. For cutting plastic, this logic does not work: during operation, the circle can heat up significantly, and the plastic workpiece can melt under such conditions. Expensive universal saws, designed to work with different types of materials, allow the operator to adjust the speed. At the same time, the widespread opinion about a direct relationship between engine power and maximum speed does not always correspond to reality, because in this equation there should be a place for the weight of the disc. Many modern models also have the function of cutting at an angle. If you are interested in a circular saw for cutting boards or plywood at home, this function is unlikely to come in handy, but for the needs of professional construction it can be critical.
In addition to the main technical characteristics that affect the production capabilities of the tool, it is impossible not to pay attention to many useful additional functions. In many of today’s models, the start is specifically carried out by two buttons that are remote from each other. thanks to this, the unit will not start accidentally, which minimizes the risk of injury. The good thing about the smooth start is that the disk picks up speed, albeit quickly, but gradually, which is why the engine does not experience an instant load and wears out more slowly. Many models provide in their design the presence of a special nozzle for a vacuum cleaner, while others even have a stationary device for removing shavings. all this allows not only to keep the workplace clean, but also to prevent dust from getting into the eyes or lungs.
In certain conditions, laser pointers, illumination of the working area, protection against disc kickback and many other newfangled tricks can also be of significant value.
Features and purpose
The device is designed primarily for cutting wood and its derivatives, although many specific models assume work with other sheet materials, including tiles and soft sheet metal. A metal disc with special solders and sharp teeth is used as a cutting part, the number of revolutions of which is several thousand times per minute. Such a constructive solution does not allow the use of a curly cutting tool, but in most cases it provides a very accurate and accurate cut in a straight line.
The weight of the unit can vary from 2 to 10 kg. All circular saws can be conditionally divided into stationary and portable, mains and battery-powered ones, depending on the mass indicators and the method of feeding. Mains need a working electrical outlet to work, while rechargeable batteries use a battery to power the engine. The design in the form of a round cutting element, which simply does not imply a reverse movement, helps to save battery power, and at the same time significantly increase productivity when cutting. Consequently, all movements of the sharp edge are beneficial, resulting in energy savings of approximately 50%.
Taking this into account, expensive modern professional-class models are able to work autonomously up to 8 hours, while the charging process from a branded device can take only half an hour.
A circular saw is a fairly simple tool in technical terms, but at the same time, improper operation can be fraught with injury, not to mention damage or accelerated wear of the main components of the mechanism. To prevent all these negative phenomena, you should carefully read the instructions supplied with each copy before installing and starting work. Even if some of the provisions from the instructions seem far-fetched or insufficiently substantiated, it is better not to neglect the advice of the creators.
Even before buying, you should carefully study the instructions for the saw for specific working conditions. This is especially true for battery units, which can discharge much faster in severe frost conditions, or, in the case of an old nickel-cadmium battery, have a “memory effect”, forcing the battery to completely discharge before charging. It is also important that charging the battery for such units usually takes about half an hour, however, for each model, you can use only a specially released licensed charger that provides the required current characteristics, otherwise a quick breakdown of the battery cannot be avoided. Recall that the battery can be replaced, but it usually costs more by itself than all the other parts of the unit put together.
Self-repair of the saw, as a rule, is considered undesirable. at least, the guarantee for the tool, as in the case of any other technique, immediately expires after unauthorized intervention. Having entrusted the tool to the master, the owner must be confident in his competence: the safety of further work with the device may depend on this.
For information on how to choose the right hand-held electric circular saw, see the following video.
Replacing carbon brushes
It is not required so often, but in any case it is better if there is a special window for this operation. Additionally, the brushes can be self-disconnecting. when grinding the graphite rod, the chain is broken, and there can also be an indication of the status of the brushes.
Do not slip in your hands, help you better control the workflow.
Protection against accidental activation
Unintentional turning on of the circular saw is so fraught with the creation of a traumatic situation that the designers tried to eliminate this possibility altogether. To do this, the saw starts only after pressing two separate buttons, one of which is often recessed into the plastic of the body.
On many instruments, manufacturers install a separate button that allows you to fix the instrument when it is on. It’s useless to look for such a lock on a circular saw. safety is paramount.
Handle shape and location
If the rear handle is more or less standard, then there are at least three varieties of the front handle: straight, mushroom and staple. The first is more suitable when working with a saw “away from you”, the second is more convenient to guide the saw from the side, and the third is universal, but larger than a mushroom.
circular saw size
Depends on the design features of each tool, so before buying it is better to evaluate it with your own eyes.
Disk rotation speed
In most cases, the higher the rotational speed of the circular saw blade, the easier it is to work with. The higher the speed, the better the following characteristics:
- Less chance of disc jamming in the workpiece.
- Easier to process dense materials.
- Less torque needed.
- Cleaner cutting line.
There are enough of its own nuances. for example, the cleanliness of the cut also strongly depends on the shape and number of teeth on the disc, but basically this is the case. In addition, it must be borne in mind that a high rotation speed is an increased temperature at the cutting point, which means that materials like plastic or laminate may end up with melted edges after sawing. If you plan to work with such materials, then the best way out would be to find a circular saw with an adjustable number of revolutions of the disc rotation.
When the saw blade stops abruptly, none of the existing braking systems is capable of instantly stopping the engine so that its inertia does not create a kickback that tears the saw out of the operator’s hands. To protect against such accidents, a slip clutch is used, which, instead of trying to stop the engine, simply breaks the contact between it and the saw blade. The latter remains in the material, while the engine continues to rotate by itself. However, the operator will immediately turn it off, because when the slip clutch is triggered, a short-term “howling” of the motor will occur due to a sharp increase in revolutions from a decrease in load.
To prevent the wire from twisting at least near the saw itself, the cable is led out of its body through a long and rigid input sleeve.
Tips on choosing a professional saw or a household saw
Battery Saw Performance Overview
If you prefer autonomy, then it is best to choose a battery model, but you should be prepared for less performance. Among other things, the rotational speed will also be significantly lower than in electric circulars. Such models perfectly cope with wood of small thickness and low density. As practice shows, the battery charge may be enough for 30-50 minutes of operation, after which the battery will need to be charged. This can cause some inconvenience, since charging sometimes takes up to 4 hours.
An example of using household and professional tools
If you are looking for a handheld circular saw, which one to choose, you can decide by reading the guidelines below. If you use a professional model, then in 1.5 hours of continuous work you will be able to cut such a number of chipboard blanks, which will be enough to assemble 4 cabinets. If you use a conventional household model, then the same work will take 2 times longer. The quality will remain at its best, but the cost of a professional tool will be 2 times higher.
One of the most important parameters is the power, which in this case is 2100 W. The cutting depth is 100 millimeters, and the rotation speed is equivalent to 3800 rpm. The size of the circle used is 270×30 millimeters, the weight of the device is 9.4 kilograms. For more convenient work, there is a soft start function, which ensures accurate cutting. Safety is guaranteed by instant engine stop due to electronic brake.
The equipment is equipped with a sturdy and reliable die-cast aluminum support base. The operator will not be faced with the problem of a jammed disc, as there is a riving knife in the device. Safety in the operation of such tools is above all, in this case it is ensured by protection against accidental start, which became possible thanks to a fuse switch.
According to users, this good hand-held circular saw is versatile as it can be used to cut different wood densities. Safety is especially appreciated by users, as it reduces the risk of injury. The operator can change the range from 0 to 50 degrees during operation. Users emphasize that when using the equipment, they get an excellent view of the mowing line of the cut, as the design is ergonomic.
Professional model choice: Makita 5103R
Quite often, a hand-held circular saw is required during construction work. We recommend that you read the selection tips before making a purchase. The above model is a powerful saw that can be used to cut large pieces of wood and other materials. The model is designed for active operation, is highly durable and has a wide range of functions that ensure safety during operation. How to choose a hand-held circular saw? The parameters are the decisive criterion. Below we will talk about them in more detail.
Choosing a household saw: Einhell RT-CS 190/1
The main features are the ergonomic handle, due to which even a beginner can handle the tool. This is also why the saw is most convenient to use when solving household tasks. The master can easily change the saw blade thanks to the key and the spindle lock. There is no need to purchase a key additionally, as it is included in the kit. It will be possible to work with the equipment at home, as it has a low noise and vibration level.
This reliable and inexpensive circular saw has a dust extraction device with a special adapter that connects to the vacuum cleaner. With this functionality, you can keep your workplace clean. The gears of the reducer are made of a material of increased hardness and strength, which is distinguished by wear resistance and a long service life.
The manufacturer has made sure that the work is made easy, this is also possible thanks to the practical cable clamp. Among other things, it prevents damage and cable coiling. The size of the disc is 190×30 millimeters, the number of teeth is 24. At an angle of 90 degrees, the operator can penetrate 66 millimeters into the material, as for 45 degrees, the cutting depth will be equivalent to 48 millimeters.
How to choose a circular hand saw?
When buying a tool, you should focus on a number of specific parameters:
- Engine power. The higher it is, the faster and with less effort you can cut. In addition, large-diameter cutting blades can be installed on powerful saws (from 3 kW).
- Cutting depth. There are 4 standard sizes that you need to select based on your needs.
- The hand-held circular saw for wood can be adjusted to the inclination of the cut.
- Stationary chip removal system or the ability to connect a vacuum cleaner. A very convenient option that allows you to work with virtually no dust and debris in the workshop or at home.
- The start lock is an important safety feature that prevents the tool from being switched on accidentally.
Circular saw blades
An important consumable in the sawing tool is the cutting blade. Each model has its own characteristics:
- height and number of teeth;
- cutting profile geometry.
Conventionally, all circular saw blades are divided into:
- Consumables for soft materials such as wood or plastic. They have a positive sharpening angle, the number of teeth is about 50-100, which ensures an even cut.
- Discs for hard materials are produced with a negative sharpening angle and fewer teeth. They are capable of sawing harder materials, but the edges will be more “ragged”.
Types of circular hand saws
- A hand tool that the master moves independently.
- Stationary saw on a special table, designed for placement in workshops and workshops.
The circular hand saw is divided according to power classes into:
- Household appliances up to 2.2 kW.
- Semi-professional models that are more powerful than household ones. They have great functionality.
- Professional units with increased power and functionality. Used in manufacturing.
Another difference is the way of transmitting torque, so, they distinguish:
- Electrical Models Connected to Standard Power Supply.
- Cordless hand-held circular saw handy where you don’t need a power outlet nearby.
- Models with a manual drive, which are practically not used at the moment, are leaving the past.
Circular saw table
When working with a large volume of sawn material, it is not always comfortable to hold the tool in your hands for a long time. It is much more convenient to fix the tool on a special table, so the cut will be more accurate and faster. All craftsmen prefer to use:
After making your own table, it is important to know how to properly secure the hand-held circular saw to the table. There are just a few rules here:
- The instrument is placed inside a prepared compartment that fits the instrument exactly.
- Saw foot bolts securely to table.
- The disc must fit freely into the slot.
Circular hand saw. device, principle of operation, features of different types
To work with wood, plastic and even metal workpieces at home, a circular hand saw is often used, as a more productive analogue of the simplest sawing tool. It has several varieties and nuances of application, which are important to consider when working.
The principle of operation of the circular hand saw
The tool is used to cut surfaces evenly, longitudinally or transversely. Circular sawing is not possible with a circular hand saw. The principle of operation of such a unit is simple:
- From the motor shaft, the torque is transmitted to the cutting disc.
- The saw blade rotates around its axis at high speed, which makes it easy to cut the desired surface.
Depending on the depth of cut, the tool is divided into several categories:
- Circular mini hand saws can cut material up to 46 mm thick.
- Medium tool handles surfaces up to 55 mm.
- Large machinery can cut workpieces with a thickness of about 70 mm.
- Professional equipment cuts products about 140 mm thick.
Circular hand saws rating
Professional builders and do-it-yourselfers identify certain tool models that have the most optimal characteristics for the job. Among them:
- Makita HS7601 is a great device for home use with two branded discs included. Cost. 121.
- DeWALT DWE560 is a model with the ability to connect a construction vacuum cleaner. Cost. 140.
- The Hammer CRP 1500 D is a quality lightweight saw with a convenient carrying case. Cost. 93.
- Bosch GKS 190. The Bosch hand-held circular saw is considered one of the best tools in its price segment. Cost. 128.
Circular Saw Functions
The main “duty” of a circular saw is to cut a large number of planks, drywall, laminate, plastic panels, soft metal and more. It is indispensable for the construction of a house or summer cottage, it is also useful when laying floors in an apartment or wall cladding with decorative panels. For quick work performance and ease of use, the circular electric hand saw is equipped with a number of additional functions:
- Immersion in the material. This feature is very handy when working with large slabs.
- Adjustment of the speed of rotation of the cutting blade. Different materials require different rotational speeds to achieve a smooth, burr-free cut.
- The soft start function is essential to extend the life of the cutting blade. Thanks to her, the saw smoothly picks up speed after starting, and does not immediately spin the shaft to maximum speed.
- The laser pointer is an optional accessory for a hand held circular saw. However, such a pointer is convenient to use when carrying out fast work.