Any construction cannot do without a circular saw. When performing various operations, it is necessary to make cuts and cuts. With the help of circulars, it becomes possible to cut any tree with high speed and high quality. With the constant use of such a device, the cutting tool becomes dull, and the productivity of the operation decreases. Sharpening circular saws becomes a critical operation.
Classification of Circular Saws
To obtain a clean cut, it is necessary that the grinding of the circular saw blades is done correctly. Tools are divided into several groups:
- The working area of the disk is hard sprayed.
- Carbide inserts are soldered to the saw teeth.
Saw teeth must be bred after sharpening. If you perform work with a dull tool, the drive begins to experience additional load, the cut quality suffers.
If the disk works with hardwood, it must have special technological grooves. Their absence leads to overheating of the blade, the metal will begin to expand, and the cutting tool will deform. Dangerous vibration will appear, cut quality will suffer.
Varieties of cutting surfaces
To increase work efficiency, engineers have developed several types of teeth that differ in their shape and angle of sharpening:
- Straight. It is used for fast cutting with low quality. It can not be used for hardwood cutting and particularly delicate operations.
- Beveled shape. It is easy to cut composite materials with these teeth. Sawing of double-sided laminated chipboard is performed without chips. Hard workpieces are easily cut with teeth, in which the back surface has a beveled appearance. However, they are dulling too fast. To prevent this, the inclination of the teeth alternates.
- Trapezoidal. The main advantage of this method is slow dulling. It works in conjunction with straight teeth. The trapezoid is located above the main element. It does the “rough” job, making it easier to straighten.
- Conical. Canvases having such a tooth shape are considered auxiliary. They are designed to obtain preliminary incisions, prevent the formation of chips. Such discs are not an independent tool.
Video: Correct Circular Saw Sharpening Angle
On some canvases, the front plane of the tooth has a concave shape. This tool performs cross cuts.
Correct sharpening angle
Circular saws have teeth with two angles:
The angle depends on the type of material being processed, the purpose of the working equipment and the direction of sawing. For example, to obtain a longitudinal cut, the front angles are made within 15-25 degrees. For a transverse cut, the rake angle will be in the range of 5-10 degrees. An angle of 15 degrees is suitable for processing any material in the right direction. The angle depends on the hardness of the workpiece. Harder material, the sharper the teeth need to be sharpened.
Disc Blade Processing Methods
To form a cutting edge, any grinding machine is suitable where the design of the equipment is not is of great importance. Of course, the sharpening angles of carbide-tipped disk plates are more accurately obtained using specialized equipment. However, its cost is very high, so they use a conventional grinding machine, which has the ability to change the slope of the corundum disk.
In order to sharpen a circular disk yourself, it is necessary to strictly fulfill several basic conditions:
- Typically, the top edge undergoes deformation. Sometimes rounding of the faces reaches 0.3 mm. Therefore, sharpening starts from the top.
- Processing is carried out taking into account the leading edge and its back.
- The operation is repeated at least 25 times. The thickness of the removed metal should not be more than 0.05-0.15 mm.
- The quality of processing should be exactly the same on the entire surface to be treated.
- After sharpening, it can be fine-tuned manually with sandpaper with fine grain.
Carbide tipped sharpening
Sharpening circular saws with victorious brazing often causes problems. Processing with standard abrasives takes a very long time, and if the material is overheated, it can be “tempered". Of course, processing with a diamond tool will be much faster, but its cost is very high. The acquisition of the winning disc will be much more economical.
Each master approaches the solution of this problem purely individually. To get the correct sharpening angles for carbide-tipped saw blades, you definitely need a machine.
Home gear processing
To process a circular saw, it is not necessary to have a special machine for sharpening circular saws with your own hands. To fix the canvas in a certain position, you can use a flat stand, which has several nuances:
- The surface should be flush with the center of the grinding wheel.
- The sharpening plane must be at an angle of 90 degrees relative to the gear circle.
- To create a different inclination, the device must have a swivel joint.
To select the desired angle, the mark is made with a colored marker. The device must be installed in a powerful vice. Not even the slightest movement of a special stand is allowed.