We create a project
As always, before starting construction work, we first create a project for the future structure. The quality and success of all work depends on how thoughtful it is. It is necessary to start designing after the following issues have been resolved:
What the future garage will look like. In this case, you need to decide what work will be done in it, it will be a simple shelter for a car or a garage with a workshop.
- Think over what rooms it will have, what equipment will be installed, how many machines it will be designed for;
- Further, we determine the size, it is necessary to clearly decide what height the structure will be, what perimeter it will have, etc.;
- Decide if there will be a cellar in the garage. If yes, where will it be located.
After you have solved all the above questions, you need to decide on the material.
An important point is the roof for the garage: think about its type, what kind of roof it will be, etc.
If you need a garage with a pit and a rack, you need to think about how and where the racks themselves will be made, and for a pit it is important to consider a waterproofing system.
Think about the infrastructure: if it is a heated box, how will the heating be supplied. When installing machines, you need to take care of the supply of a three-phase power supply. Don’t forget the ventilation system.
It is important to consider the driveways to the garage. Determine which gates will be, how they will be locked. Think about what foundation you need, how and from what you will make it.
Another point to remember is drainage systems. The garage must be dry, and water must not accumulate in the inspection pit and cellar in the spring, as well as during the rains.
Ultimately, the project should provide for all aspects of future construction and be as informative as possible.
Choice of materials
In general, from what to make a garage, i.e. the choice of building material for your future garage must be justified in material terms and correspond to what it will be, your future box. The most common option, it is also the most optimal from many points of view, is stone. In this case, the following can act as a stone:
Brick. This is the most common type of building material for a capital garage. Its advantages are obvious: convenience, the ability to build without the use of special equipment, the ability to erect a structure of any shape and type. The disadvantage is the high cost;
Cinder block. In this case, it is also a very convenient option and is in many ways similar in its qualities and advantages to a brick. In turn, the construction is proceeding more quickly, since the size of the cinder block is larger, and it is cheaper in cost. The disadvantage is that the structure is less reliable when compared to brick;
Reinforced concrete structures. Convenient option. Advantages: high reliability and strength of the building, speed of construction and relative simplicity. Disadvantages. the need to attract special equipment.
There are different types of garages, but stone is the best solution. It is not recommended to use wood, in this case the structure will be fire hazardous, there are fuels and lubricants in the box, and in general, a wooden garage is not the best option.
If you decide to make the box iron, then as a result it will be just a parking lot under the roof, in winter it will be cold, and it is hardly possible to make a workshop in such a garage.
What kind of garage to build. How to choose a seat
In general, there are different types of garages, namely:
Prefabricated metal box. There is no need to build such a garage, it is assembled, and if necessary, it can be easily dismantled and moved to another place. It makes no sense to consider this option, since this is only a shelter for a car from bad weather and intruders, it cannot be considered a full-fledged box.
Attached. Such a box is attached as an additional room to the main building, as a rule, to a summer residence. In this case, we are dealing with a full-fledged, capital structure.
Construction is carried out taking into account all requirements and rules. The advantage of such a box is the saving of site space, and the disadvantage is the proximity of the technical room to the residential.
A separate building, made in accordance with all building rules and regulations, with its own infrastructure and special access ways. Such a garage can be large enough, be heated, have a separate workshop inside, special devices for auto repair, as well as machine tools and other equipment.
This is the most convenient option and therefore the most common. The main disadvantage is the high cost.
Which garage to build depends on your financial capabilities, as well as on what requirements you have for it:
- what work will be carried out in it;
- whether or not you are planning to install any equipment;
- what other additional functions it can carry in your understanding of comfort and practicality.
After you have chosen the type of future boxing, you need to think about where on your site it will be located. In this case, it is necessary to be guided not only by your desires.
It is better to locate the garage as far from the residential building as possible, while providing convenient access to it. In general, it is better to first familiarize yourself with the rules for planning a summer cottage and, in accordance with them, choose a place.
DIY garage: an overview of effective technologies, step-by-step instructions with photos and videos
Cars today are not an indicator of wealth and luxury; they are, first of all, a means of transportation. Almost all owners of summer cottages today have their own car, it is convenient and practical. For all that, having a car, we are faced with a number of problems, one of which is the place of its parking. This question does not lose its relevance for summer residents: leaving it on the street is not always convenient, and if you spend a long enough time away from the bustle of the city, your garage in the country will simply be necessary.
Build or not. everyone decides this question for himself, but for those who already know the answer, you need to think about where to start, how the work will be carried out, what needs to be done and how to do it. First of all, let’s look at a photo of the garage with our own hands at their summer cottage. you can find a lot of them on the network.
You will certainly notice that a modern garage is not an iron box, it is a completely independent and rather complex structure that has both its own specific features and is decorated quite beautifully, in some cases following certain artistic tastes and styles.
Let’s try to figure it out. what is necessary to know to someone who has decided to build his own home for his car. We will try to reveal the secrets and answer the most important questions: where to start and what to do.
Brief content of the article:
Before starting construction, let’s dwell on one important point, namely, whether or not it is necessary to obtain permits for construction.
From the standpoint of the law, you do not need to draw up any documents in the following cases:
- The construction will be carried out on its own summer cottage or garden area and is not commercial;
- The building will be auxiliary;
- The garage will be a frame or metal, not a capital structure.
This is a complete list, in all other cases, you will need to draw up some documents required by law.
We will assume that you have every right to build a garage on your site, then let’s get down to business.
The project is in hand, all the materials are ready, you are determined, well then, let’s get down to construction and installation work. In its most general form, it is necessary to adhere to the following order:
- Start by marking the site and subsequent excavation;
- Next, we build the foundation;
- After the foundation is ready, we install and fix the garage door. We start laying the walls;
- We proceed to the installation of the roof and roof;
- We install the drainage system;
- We make the floor in the garage;
- We start finishing work inside the box and work on the installation of the necessary infrastructure.
The end of the work will be the preparation and arrangement of access roads, finishing the garage outside and installing all equipment and machines.
Your garage should be practical and convenient. Look at the photo of the garage inside, you can find many interesting ideas and do everything in the most optimal way.
Last, remember about safety during construction and operation. Observe fire safety requirements.
Life hacks for the garage: interesting ideas
- Features of the
- What can be done?
- Additional storage accessories
- How to work better?
- Additional Tips
- Improving the garage according to all the rules: strategy and actions
- Garage as a warehouse
The garage is a very important place in the life of every motorist, motorcycle owner or even a simple moped. But many people, for an incompletely understandable reason, believe that they can be limited to simply building or buying space for storing vehicles.
In fact, this is not the case: almost every garage can be improved with your own hands. And if you think about selling it because of the inconvenience, the simplest recommendations will help you find a suitable solution. Even in the absence of visible problems, sometimes a new approach to the design of the garage space is needed.
Improving the garage according to all the rules: strategy and actions
To bring your plans to life, you need to immediately take care of the convenience in the garage, which means that you will need:
- determine the purposes of its use;
- clearly assign a particular area for certain tasks (it is even better to plan it out on a full-fledged paper drawing);
- study all the things that you have, figure out how to group them and in which storage systems to put.
Car owners should first consider using the garage as a workshop. It takes a relatively small amount of space to equip a site for work.
Buy or make your own corner table that occupies an empty corner. Above the table from various scraps of wood and scrap metal, build shelves for frequently used items. Immediately get rid of the habit of arranging items on these shelves in an arbitrary way, otherwise the result will be worse than before.
Think over the storage systems yourself, because no one better than you can determine how and what needs to be done in a particular garage. It is recommended not only to lay out tools and spare parts in boxes and boxes, but to sign them with a marker (this is more reliable than continuously peeling paper stickers). In addition to the shelves above the desktop, it is advisable to fix a board (cork or magnetic), which will serve for writing memos, attaching business cards and phone numbers.
How to work better?
Not all car owners and motorcyclists are true craftsmen. But everyone can use the simplest secrets of effective work. When there is no funnel nearby, an old, unnecessary screwdriver can help to gently pour the lubricating oil. If the screwdriver itself is needed for its intended purpose, but is not strong enough, it is worth using a wrench as a lever. For each other, wrenches also turn out to be faithful helpers.
In the workshop, you need to use a magnetic knife holder, with its help it is easy to lay out different drills, wrenches and the like there.
If you have to store garden chairs, wooden wall brackets will be invaluable: both the free space is used more fully, and there will be no clutter on the floor. Almost every garden uses a wheelbarrow, you can place it compactly if you mount a couple of latches on the wall.
There should be separate areas in the garage for each type of item. That is, for a garden and a summer cottage. one section, for working tools. another, for spare parts. a third, for consumables for a car. the fourth and further on the list.
To have a place for a container with detergents, which helps to avoid them falling and spilling, it is worth using metal pots (both by themselves and on the shelves).
What can be done?
Life hacks for improving garage space are diverse, but the most important among them will be an organizer for storing small tools and fasteners. Even a cupcake pan will work as an impromptu hopper.
Many garages already have various shelves, but these can be easily upgraded. Below, a secret reservoir is harmoniously placed, which is made from cans with removable lids. These covers are attached to the shelves themselves with screws, and then the cans are screwed on. Nails, screws and other minor metal objects are put there.
When such a solution is not pleasant, or it is not enough to accommodate all the accessories, it is worth fixing a magnet on the wall. It will calmly hold the screwdriver bits and a number of tools.
Do not hang screwdrivers on such a mount, it is not very convenient to use them after magnetization.
And if you don’t limit yourself to what you can do yourself, you should think about shelving with perforated panels, hooks and trays.
A number of garage owners have found that this one item can permanently solve all of their problems.
The vehicle room will invariably contain a variety of adhesive tapes and scotch tapes, which people have appreciated for a long time. But so that such devices do not roll back to the farthest corners and do not stick to various places, it is worth using a kind of box for such products.
Features of the
The opinion of most people is unambiguous. only two roles are assigned to the garage: the storage of personal vehicles and the storage of unnecessary old things. Those who “feel sorry for throwing away, but there is no longer any desire to keep at home”.
In the meantime, it is enough to spend a few hours to radically change the situation and make it really pleasant to enter the garage.
Additional storage accessories
As you already know, the magnet is not good for holding screwdrivers. It is not necessary to set aside a special box for them, where it will be more practical to make a shelf with holes with your own hands.
You should also think about:
- PVC pipes cut into pieces (after screwing to the wall, they will allow you to hold garden tools);
- organizer s for shoes (they will include aerosol cans and brushes);
- folding tables (it is very important to provide a good working area, spacious and comfortable enough);
- a towel holder (even when there are no hand washing facilities in the garage itself, it is worth keeping garbage bags on it).
Homemade products for the garage: ideas for making your own hands
- How can you arrange a garage?
- Little garage tricks
- How to make a drill stand?
- How to make a flyover for car repair?
- How to assemble a compressor for a garage?
- How to make a crane hoist?
- Pit and cellar
- How to make a workbench?
- How to make shelving?
- Suspended structures
- Original options
The garage takes up a lot of space in the life of a strong half of humanity, even if the family does not have a car. In addition to being used as a storage and maintenance room for a car, the garage has a fairly wide range of functions, despite its rather limited area.
How to assemble a compressor for a garage?
When servicing a car, and for other work in the household and garage, there is often a need for an air compressor. It will help in painting, and when inflating tires, blowing off dust, and in many other cases.
The simplest compressor for painting a car can be assembled yourself from an old car camera.
Here is a description of the materials and tools required to make this idea a reality:
- the camera itself will serve as a receiver;
- a supercharger. a pump, it is desirable that it has a pressure gauge;
- repair kit for tires;
- check the chamber for damage with the pump and eliminate them if they are found;
- make a hole in the receiver for the release of a jet of compressed air;
- glue the additional fitting and connect it to the spray gun;
- unscrew the nipple in it to give free passage for air;
- leave the “native” chamber nipple. it will be used as a valve, keeping excess pressure;
- by tests, determine the required air pressure of the receiver, spraying paint and ensuring that it lies flat;
- the main rule is that there should be nothing extraneous in the chamber: moisture, particles of dirt and dust.
If you have a minimum amount of skills in assembling more complex structures, you can suggest trying to assemble a compressor of a greater degree of complexity and versatility, which can be used to measure the amount of atmospheres in car tires, paint, blow off and blow off dust.
The method is inexpensive, even if there is not a lot of scrap materials in the garage.
Installation is carried out from:
- old refrigeration unit;
- an air receiver with a volume of up to 10 liters;
- pressure gauge for air receiver;
- air pressure regulator;
- high pressure hose (20 bar);
- the most inexpensive filter-regulator;
A Mower, Tiller and a Server Rack
- several clamps;
The compressor does not take up much space, so it can be easily installed in a niche on the wall or on a do-it-yourself wall shelf, where the need dictates.
This type of compressor receiver has three outputs:
- the upper one supplies compressed air;
- the middle is used by the pressure gauge in the receiver;
- condensate and oil are drained through the bottom.
Principle of operation: the compressor sucks in air through the lower part, where the filter-regulator and the switch on are installed. Regulator pressure limits. from two atmospheres to eight.
To hedge against trouble, for safety, you can install a relief valve.
How to make a workbench?
Who has seen a garage that does not have a workbench with a vice attached to it? Or a garage without shelves, mezzanines, wall cabinets? No test bench or vehicle maintenance?
By the appearance of the garage interior, you can immediately tell who is its owner and how functional this or that option for using the internal space is, how much it optimizes it for operation.
A large and convenient workbench in the garage is its undeniable advantage. If you organize boxes for tools and parts in it, then it will turn into a universal place of work. Typically, such a workbench is made for the entire width of the garage with boxes of various sizes.
For its installation with dimensions of 660x100x60 cm you need:
- plywood of various thicknesses;
- for a workbench measuring 660x100x60 cm, you will need to cut 4 sheets 20 mm thick;
- it is better to use sanded plywood for the work surface;
- boxes are made of strips 0.6×4.8 m, 13 mm thick;
- rack sections are assembled from 20 pieces of 61×61 cm in size;
- each vertical row of boxes is calculated as follows: 3 small and 1 deep;
- the depth of the grooves of the guides is 1.27 cm;
- additionally cut a groove 254 mm at the bottom of the cabinet and three grooves 127 mm apart and 146 mm from the top of the cabinet;
- the required structural rigidity is created by reinforcing the back wall with plywood strips;
- we collect all structures for five boxes and fasten them together, then fix them to the wall with fixing screws so that there is free space under them for oversized items;
- assemble boxes from plywood 13 mm thick;
- handles are cut in the front wall of the box or purchased ready-made and fixed with self-tapping screws;
- the dimensions of the lower boxes are 120x25x5 cm and 60x25x5 cm;
- a 60×120 cm frame is attached to the working surface of the workbench;
- finishing of the workbench is sanding and painting in several layers.
- finishing coating with varnish is allowed.
How to make a drill stand?
Making a mini-drilling machine with your own hands does not require high qualifications, but it greatly expands the scope of application of an ordinary electric drill. In addition, the machine will turn out to be much cheaper than the purchased one, and the components can be borrowed from previously used devices.
Making a stand from wood will take very little time and does not require any special materials and tools:
- wooden blocks or boards not thinner than 20 mm;
- furniture guides;
- metal bar with thread for the caliper;
- fasteners for wooden parts (screws, glue);
- screwdriwer set;
- electric drill.
The dimensions of the mini-machine are chosen in accordance with the dimensions of the working space in the garage.
Making a rack out of metal requires a little more time and materials, so you need to highlight it a little more.
The offered metal stand is more versatile than the wood stand and includes:
- bearing frame;
- drill stand guides, to which it is attached and moved vertically;
- handle for vertical feed of the tool;
- additional nodes for ease of use.
The problem of storing small parts, screws, washers, bolts and other fasteners in the garage is quite acute. On the one hand, they should always be at hand, on the other hand, it is quite easy to lose them, drop them on the floor. There are several options for solving the problem. Here is one of the interesting, simple and low-cost options. just ingenuity and a new way of using ordinary things.
First you need to decide on the required number of cells of the required size.
For work you will need:
- 4 metal slats, 2.2 m long each;
- electric drill;
In our case (see photo) there are 24 identical cells in a row. There are four rows in total, the size of each cell is 14x10x7.5 cm. In a metal rail (in our case, its length is 2 m), holes must be drilled for the entire length of the row for fastening to the wall. It is not recommended to save money, as the rail will hold cells filled with metal parts. Next, the slats are attached to the wall. We attach the cells to the slats. Done!
How to make a crane hoist?
No one will deny that periodically any car needs to be serviced, and from time to time and repaired. Serious repairs are not cheap, so many car owners undertake to do it in the garage or in the country with their own hands. For example, when repairing an engine, considerable physical effort will be required to remove and reinstall it after repair.
A hoisting crane with a winch can be of great help in such operations. It can be equipped in the garage both by purchasing it in a supermarket or by hand, according to a simple scheme.
The most practical way to place such a crane is over the front of the vehicle delivered to the garage. If the reach of the boom is 1 meter, then the working area will be in the area of 5 m2.
The basis in the considered option will be sheet steel 400x400x25 mm. A rod with a diameter of 80 mm is welded into it, attached to the ceiling with M16 bolts.
It is necessary to monitor the observance of the levels horizontally, since often the floor or ceiling of the garage can have a slope in one direction or another.
The boom is made of a 1-meter brace, 50×50 angles and a glass with two pressed-in bronze bearing bushings. The whole structure is fixed with a cotter-pin shaped nut М42х2.
How to make shelving?
Shelving is one of the most common rational solutions for organizing free space when placing things in a limited volume of a house or garage box. The surfaces of the walls of the box are encouraged to lean against them a rack or to strengthen a dozen or two shelves and put a wide variety of items on them: from fishing accessories and clothing to a boat engine and a spare engine block.
A garage rack can be purchased in retail chains. this is an option that requires almost no energy consumption. Installation / dismantling of such structures is elementary and does not require high qualifications of a fitter-assembler.
Perfect for all categories of garage owners, but quite expensive and will require a certain investment of capital.
You can try to make a rack yourself from improvised or purchased materials: from scraps of pipes, a profile or a corner, from pieces of plywood, chipboard, plastic.
Instead of drawers, it is quite possible to use ordinary plastic canisters. The canister is located horizontally, and by the handle, which was in front, it is pulled out and returned to its place.
The only thing that should not be forgotten is that it is forbidden to use canisters and other containers from under chemically aggressive, radioactive or flammable substances that can be harmful to health. The best option is a drinking water canister.
To make a rack from aluminum or other metal on your own, you need to prepare, take measurements, calculate the load and choose the material for the product. You should also take into account what communications are in the place where it is planned to mount the rack.
- First, determine the external dimensions of the product.
- Then the number of shelves and their height are calculated. It makes sense to make them of different heights, since the sizes of the storage items vary.
- It is irrational to make sections of too large width. the carrying capacity of the shelves will sharply decrease, the possibility of collapse will increase.
- The drawing should begin with a sketch of the rack, its schematic representation with preliminary dimensions, giving a general idea of what should be the result.
- The next step will be cutting vertical parts.
- All parts are cut to one length from a solid profile or corner. It is not recommended to compose them from separate parts.
- Sometimes metal or metal-plastic pipes are used as risers.
- The material for the shelves is chosen taking into account its strength. For example, chipboard and fiberboard shelves will not withstand significant weight due to their relative fragility.
- Design shelves no more than 60 cm wide.
- The presence of an edging (side) at the shelf will serve in two directions at once. it will create an additional stiffener and prevent small parts from falling.
- First, the vertical posts are installed. The method of fastening (to the floor, ceiling, walls) should be thought out even at the stage of drawing up the drawing.
- When installing, be sure to use a level to avoid distortions.
- The shelves are fixed with corners.
Let’s consider a few useful life hacks:
- Sometimes, to save space, the shelves are fixed directly to the ceiling without using vertical floor supports. Hanging shelves can free up space in the lower tier of the garage box, but they cannot differ in special carrying capacity. Oversized, but light long slats, plastic corners, cardboard pipes, etc. can be folded onto them. They can also be made mesh. then hooks can be used to additionally hang something on them.
- Another popular way to use the wall is to arrange a metal or plastic panel with fasteners (hooks, brackets, etc.) instead of a rack, this will greatly save free space.
- To create a small gap between the wall and the panel, it is recommended to use wine corks cut in half.