How to make the axle of a car trailer from the Zhigulevskaya hub 2108 by yourself with your own hands repair
What are the design features
Before making a dump trailer for a car with your own hands, you need to find out some details about such trailed vehicles.
For many, the dumping system is associated with trucks. Although in practice, this system has long been adapted to conventional civilian passenger vehicles.
The dumping unit simplifies the unloading of loose, bulk cargo, facilitates simplified loading and unloading of motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, swimming facilities, etc.
There are several features that characterize factory dump trailers:
- most of them have a galvanized body (partially or completely);
- internal fastening is provided to securely fix the load;
- all sides at once have a folding structure;
- in length can be standard and elongated;
- there is an opportunity to increase the drawbar;
- in length vary from 3 to 4 meters mainly;
- in width, this range is from 1.4 to 1.8 meters;
- the height of the sides is about 30-40 cm.
The design feature lies in the fact that the body with the frame has a movable connection, realized by means of a hinge mechanism. This does not allow the body to tip over while driving, but if necessary, the load can be easily dumped. The used couplings are welded to the trailer frame and screwed directly to the side members. A special retainer is used in the front part. This is usually the simplest bolt.
A properly executed project is half the battle!
So, to make a trailer for a mini tractor with your own hands, you should start with a project in which you need to reflect the parameters of the future mechanism. At the same time, it is important to know that the trailer must have good strength with a low weight, which will reduce the load on the tractor, as well as increase its carrying capacity. Based on this, the trailer must have a roomy body, a powerful carrier, a solid frame and good wheels.
A trailer for a UAZ car requires attention and care:
- To minimize the effects of corrosion on parts, the unit is stored in a dry garage. In the absence of space in it. in the open air under a waterproof awning or canopy. It is worth remembering that the body is primarily susceptible to corrosion due to its structure.
- After use, the UAZ trailer is washed and cleaned of dirt that has gotten into the joints of the parts. Trailer cleaning will help prevent early rust.
- Periodically, the condition of the wheel hub bearings is checked and lubricated if necessary.
- Overloading contributes to premature suspension failure.
- The state of the light signaling and wiring contacts is monitored.
- Much attention is paid to the shape of the coupling device, since when operating a road train with a dispersed coupling mechanism, the radius of skidding and turning of the car increases.
- When standing idle for a long time, a stand is placed under the load-bearing beam of the unit so that the wheels do not touch the ground.
- The outlet is monitored, which in no way should have contact with water.
Video review of the MZSA trailer model Off-Road 817701.016
The UAZ car, possessing the traction characteristics inherent in the family of off-road vehicles, is capable of pulling any unit from the Kurgan “Krepysh” to heavy carriages. It is not afraid of snow or mud and, when coupled with a trailer, forms a worthy road train.
Sequential production of trailer components
Usually, work begins with welding the frame, which will be the supporting frame. It is recommended that it be made of pipes of round and rectangular sections, with a diameter of at least 40 cm, and all fasteners should be welded. Next, you should proceed to the design of a direct wheelbase, where it is best to use a steel rod with a diameter of at least 35 cm as an axle.It is attached to the supporting frame using a longitudinal hinge, as well as side spars and special corner supports. Such a home-made trailer for a mini tractor will have a sufficiently high carrying capacity, so that it will be possible to transport not only food, but also some building materials on it.
Popular models of trailers for UAZ
Sometimes a UAZ car acts as an auto transporter. Then an SUV cannot do without a special trailer. Such as model Off-Road 817701.016] MZSA [/ anchor] with wheel size R-16. The advantage of the unit is in a flat bottom, on which, in addition to motor vehicles, other goods are transported. The characteristics do not suffer from a shift in the center of gravity:
- Lifting capacity 0.482 t.
- Gross weight 0.75 t.
MZSA trailer model Off-Road 817701.016
A frame carriage for transporting a boat or boat is also interfaced with the UAZ. The representative of boat trailers model Dolphin 82944C is capable of transporting a floating craft up to 6 meters long.
- Load capacity 510 kg.
- Gross weight 750 kg.
Trailer Dolphin 82944C produced by “Trailer. T”
The most popular type is the trailer. It is an onboard unit equipped with an awning. A striking representative of this family is the Taiga Kurgan trailer model 8213 A7. Designed for transporting snowmobiles. The nuances of winter operation have been tested repeatedly.
- Load capacity 470 kg.
- Gross weight 750 kg.
Taiga trailer model 8213 A7
How to make the axle of a car trailer from the Zhigulevskaya hub 2108 by yourself with your own hands repair
What can be used to make a frame for a trailer truck
The trailer for the tiller is made of corrugated board, sheet metal with a thickness of 1 mm, boards with a thickness of 2 cm, an old car body, a motorcycle sidecar or of painted galvanized sheets. Any material available to the manufacturer is suitable for the body and does not increase the cost of construction.
For a wooden body, the corners are reinforced with metal plates. Fastening to the frame with bolts and three support frames.
For a body made of corrugated sheets or galvanized sheet, a metal profile is used. It is padded on the bottom along the length and width to protect the bottom material from sagging, deformation or buckling.
Manufacturing and assembly of the undercarriage of a homemade trailer
To make a carrier you need:
- Overlays 25×4.
- Flanges size S 4.
- Supports from pipes 58×4.
- Corners 25x25x4 for a foot stand.
- Drawbar pipe.
The carrier of a simple design consists of a minimum number of elements welded according to the scheme. The most loaded parts. the drawbar and the turn signal, are reinforced with stiffeners. The carrier engages with the tiller frame in a hinged manner. The constructive model “pipe in pipe” forms a kind of long hinge and allows the wheelbase of the trailer to change its position independently, regardless of the wheelbase of the tiller. This solution protects the trailer structure from deformation and makes it easy to overcome pits or bumps.
The carrier is attached to the center tube with bolts, locknuts and studs. An elongated hole is grinded in the central pipe so that the fixing bolt rotates along the axis of the link without longitudinal displacement.
The wheelbase is constructed from parts of any domestic cars, wheels, springs, hinges are selected. Parts and elements are welded to the beam, and the ends are attached to the spar.
The drawbar is made of a 60×30 mm pipe welded to the front parts of the side members. The edges of the beams are joined and welded to the traction mechanical coupler. It turns out an analogue of the factory two-beam drawbar.
tiller is a self-propelled technical device, an irreplaceable assistant in a private household. The addition of special equipment with axles, a box and a driver’s seat expands its functional characteristics. trailer with tow hitch can work as a mini-truck.
The material and design of the frame of a homemade trailer
The frame serves as the main supporting structure. It is necessary to calculate all dimensions and constituent elements according to the drawing, with high accuracy, with the exception of any inaccuracies arising from sawing, joining channels, pipes and corners.
Simple, lightweight, sturdy frame made of 60 x 30 mm rectangular tube. It will form the supporting structure. The role of the traverse will be performed by steel squares measuring 25 x 25 mm. For reliability, all elements are welded together and reinforced with several diameters, leaving protrusions above the side members. For racks, a pair of pipes are welded longitudinally to the front of the outlets on both sides of the structure. The upper straps of pipes with a cross section of 25 mm are welded to the posts.
The material of the supporting frame is selected according to characteristics capable of providing the conditions for strength and rigidity, to prevent deformation of the structure under the maximum permissible load. The frame for a self-made trailer for a light type tiller is made of any available material: a metal corner, a steel pipe with a rectangular, circular cross-section.
The medium power tiller trailer is made on a frame, using the following elements:
- brace 20×20.
- corner 20×20 for the driver’s seat
- uprights for the seat from the corner 40×40.
- front struts made of 40×20 pipe.
- frame strapping profile from corner 40×40.
- corner 32×32 for wheel axle strut.
- back braces from a pipe 40×20.
- transverse amplifier from corner 40 × 40.
- axial rod 30 mm.
- solid triangle.
The intricate design of the frame will provide an excess margin of safety and will allow you to transport heavy, bulky goods and materials in the body. It is worth making a frame of a reinforced structure in the case of frequent off-road use of a loaded trailer. Welding machine. It will be needed to firmly connect all parts. Self-tapping screws in this case will not be able to give the structure strength and durability.
Tiller trailer preliminary drawings
Trailer bodies are usually made of galvanized, painted steel sheets or durable plastic. Metal sides and a metal bottom will last longer than plastic ones, but the second option will be cheaper at cost.
Having decided on the material for the trailer, proceed to drawing up drawings or technical diagrams for the supporting elements:
- connecting frame,
- working body.
The skill of a constructor-mechanic is optional, it is enough to schematically depict a sketch of a future carriage.
Why is the preliminary stage necessary? In the figure, the model visually appears, complex sections are visible, the dimensions are specified, the connecting nodal elements and their possible connection or connection are drawn. Drawing example:
The drawing shows the method of coupling the bearing running elements. The carrier is coupled to the tiller module by a pivot unit and a cantilever element, the second end of the carrier is attached to the frame using a central tube. Attachment to the tiller is done through consoles and dumbbells. An axial rod is made according to the size of the tiller‘s coupling mechanism. The upper axial end acts as a support, the carrier pivot unit rotates around it on bearings. The ball bearings are covered with an anti-dust cover, the voids are filled with a special lubricant.
An experienced craftsman will not be hampered by the selection of parts, elements, tools and spare parts in accordance with the drawn up drawing. For the simplest version of the trolley, the following spare parts are required:
- Wheels. Most often, they take wheels from motorized carriages or from cars. They are bought hand-held or purchased for disassembly. The size and strength of the rim corresponds to a load of 300 kg t more.
- Wheel axle. It is made of a steel rod with a diameter of at least 30mm. The length of the rod is calculated independently, based on the width of the body. The optimal size of the bar does not allow the protrusion of the trailer wheels beyond the body contour.
- Thrust ring. A 58 x 4 tube is suitable for these purposes.
- Bolts M 8.
- Support beam. 3 pcs.
- Box boards.
- Tiller clutch frame.
- Driver’s seat made of scrap material.
- The simplest carrier.
- Console made of trim pipe.
- Brackets by size.
Characteristics and cost of industrial trailer trailers
The industrial, ready-made trailer for the tiller is characterized by a lifting capacity of 0.3 t. 1 t and different dimensions. The cart is selected according to the power of the tiller and its technical parameters:
- The trailer with the overall dimensions of the body 1 mx 0.85-1.15 m, with a lifting capacity of 300 kg is designed for light tillers. Body cost from 200 and above.
- Adapters for medium power tillers from 5 HP from. have dimensions 1×1.4-1.5 m, carrying capacity up to 500 kg. Average trailer price from 250.
- For heavy-duty tillers, two-axle trailers are sold with dimensions of 1.2 mx 2-3 m, with a carrying capacity of up to 1000 kg. Cart cost from 500.
It is not difficult to make a trailer for any tiller with your own hands. Next, we will consider all the fundamental points and the manufacturing technology itself.
- Characteristics and cost of industrial trailer trailers
- Tiller trailer preliminary drawings
- Manufacturing and assembly of the undercarriage of a homemade trailer
- The material and design of the frame of a homemade trailer
- What can be used to make a frame for a trailer truck
- Average tillers. Homemade trailers made of rolled metal. Step-by-step assembly instructions
- Heavy tiller. How to make a trailer from car parts
Average tillers. Homemade trailers made of rolled metal. Step-by-step assembly instructions
The first stage of manufacturing begins after the development of the drawing and the calculation of the dimensions of the trailed structure. An average tiller allows you to transport a load of up to 500 kg, therefore, the carrying capacity of the trolley will be large. For the design, it is worth choosing rolled metal products that provide the calculated load capacity with a safety margin. The total dimensions of the trailer are used to calculate the metric area of rolled metal and the number of channels acting as a coupling frame. Accurate calculation saves on consumables and facilitates assembly of complex structures.
- Rolled metal products. Individual length, estimated.
- Steel corner 50x25mm.
- Steel corner 40x40mm.
- Cuts of pipes of rectangular and circular cross-sections.
- Planks with a thickness of 2 cm for the body.
- Beam 50×50 mm for support beams.
Second phase. For speed of the project, use the ready-made structural part diagram presented in the chapter “preliminary drawings”.
Make the body from wooden planks, reinforce the corners with a steel corner. Attach the body to the frame using support beams made of wooden beams. On the body, if desired, make side loops and straps to fix the load during transportation. The finished trailer is presented as a single axle structure. The disadvantage of such a body is the displacement of the center of gravity towards the front of the trailer; during operation, you have to monitor the correct distribution of the load. The second disadvantage of a single-axle trailer design is the lack of a tailgate.
Stage three. The chassis is assembled from available spare parts and materials. These can be wheels from a motorized carriage assembled with a hub. The ends of the axle bar must be sharpened to the diameter of the hub bearings.
The wheel axle will be a steel rod with a diameter of 30 mm. The length of the bar is calculated so that the wheels do not protrude beyond the outline of the body. The rod is welded to the side members and the body of the longitudinal hinge through the gusset plate and corner support.
Body shell skin
On the base (platform) of the trailer, vertical posts are installed, to which the sides are welded. It should be noted that the front and side boards are made non-removable, and the tailgate is fixed on hinges for further opening and closing in the event of the need to load various oversized cargo. The body elements are a frame structure, which is made up of metal corners. They are butt welded to each other, and the seams are cleaned.
Board assembly stages:
- the frames of each side are prepared separately;
- take a sheet of galvanized sheet and transfer the dimensions of the sides to it;
- the side is cut to size.
A bottom made of 2 mm metal sheet is placed on the frame of the hitch and welded along the entire perimeter. The distance between the welding points is approximately 4-6 centimeters. The installation procedure begins with the front side, then the side ones, tightly tying them to the front. The tailgate is fixed in the hinges installed on the trailer frame.
Do-it-yourself trailer for a tiller
Auto mechanic specializing in agricultural machinery
a tiller on the farm is a pretty useful thing. It becomes even a great helper if it is equipped with a trailer in which you can transport various things, tools and materials. Some of the tiller models on the market do not meet the buyer’s requirements. By purchasing such a powerful assistant, their owners plan in advance to start making an additional hitch to the tiller on their own.
Such attachments save costs to a large extent, rather than buying a finished product. So, how to make a trailer to a tiller with your own hands?
The design of the trailed part of the tiller itself is not particularly difficult, but the chassis is a completely different matter. It is based on a beam, at the ends of which the hubs are located. The channel is welded together so that a square is obtained. The weld is made solid for structural strength. On the lower part of the square (beam), the hubs are welded, the wheels for the trailer are put on to the tiller and their parallelism is checked. If the condition is met, then the structure is welded correctly.
The beam and the frame of the trailer are connected by means of springs installed in special brackets on the frame, previously provided in the diagram. The entire structure of the assembled trailer is checked for stability, it must not tip over.
Advice. In order for the transport to serve for a long time and not break down, its maintenance should be periodically performed, which consists in daily cleaning after work and lubrication of the connections.
In order for the trailer not to accidentally roll on a slope and stand firmly on the road, a simple brake system is provided for it. How to make brakes on a trailer to a tiller? It is best to use a parking structure from a car or motorcycle and secure the mechanism near the driver’s seat with bolts.
As with any vehicle, the braking system is one of the road safety factors. You can make brakes yourself by using a cable, traction and a drum:
- A drum is attached to the hub of one of the wheels.
- Take a brake disc and weld a small piece of pipe to it.
- Put the mechanism on the axle.
- Fix the brake pads with a cable to the axle, pull the cable to the lever near the driver’s seat.
Brakes are usually not installed on two wheels. One parking brake is also enough for the trailer to the tiller.
The process of assembling the structure is simple, and you can perform it completely independently, having at hand the tools and materials necessary for the work, as well as a little knowledge in locksmithing. The work is carried out in the following order:
- Creation of working documentation (project) with schemes for the installation of trailed equipment for the tiller.
- Selection of material for the manufacture of the frame and other devices of the future design.
- Choosing a workplace where the trailer will be assembled.
- Performing preliminary marking of mounting elements and nodes of the trailer mechanism.
- Laying out finished parts and aligning corners.
- Connecting the elements of the attachment.
In this video, you will learn how to make a trailer yourself:
In addition to the main driver’s seat, a simple folding bench is installed, which is attached to the front side of the body and rests on the side ones. Some tiller trailers are additionally equipped with a spare wheel. It can be positioned on the side board or at the bottom of the trailer on the metal bottom using special fasteners.
Near the driver’s seat, for the convenience of storing small tools that may be needed on the road and during repairs, small homemade metal boxes or special bags are fixed.
Drawbar is a system of welded pipes that are connected to the side members of the trailer. In the place where the pipes come off, a coupling device is installed in front. The connection should be simple, strong and ensure easy rotation of the trailer cart behind the tiller. Often, for such a coupling, a standard mechanism of factory trailers for towbars of cars is used.
To hitch a trailer with your own hands, you need:
- At the junction of the drawbar pipes, a section of a fortieth pipe 10 centimeters long is welded.
- Two bearings are installed inside the pipe.
- A washer is installed on the pipe from the side of the trailed trolley, into which the axle of the trailing device with a threaded thread will subsequently be inserted.
- The hitch is made from a piece of square pipe. A through hole is drilled through two opposite surfaces with a diameter corresponding to the fixing pin.
- The square pipe can be additionally reinforced with a sheet of metal, the edges of the pipe are bent.
Such a system reliably ensures structural stability and ease of operation. By means of a hitch, the tiller can be adapted as a light car trailer.
Required tools and materials
For the high-quality performance of work on assembling the trailer, the following tool is prepared:
- welding machine;
- angle grinder for cutting material with a set of cutting wheels;
- tape measure and ruler, protractor and square;
- marking tools (chalk, ink, marker);
- percussion tool (hammer), chisel and pliers;
- yew for fastening parts, clamps and clamps;
- electric drill with a set of drills of various diameters for metal work;
- equipment for installing rivets in the trailer body.
For the manufacture of the trailer frame, a square or rectangular metal profile, a steel pipe of a small diameter, corners, and a channel are used. The trailer pallet is a steel sheet up to 2 mm thick. Bolts, nuts and rivets are used to connect parts of the structure. Springs and a beam for attaching the wheelset are added to the trailer. Car wheels from “Moskvich” or “Zhiguli” are well suited as wheels.
It is made from a square tube that is cut into separate sections. Pipe sections are welded together, forming a frame with crossbars. Every corner is carefully measured. After the frame is ready, it is boiled again around the perimeter. The finished product is primed and painted with paint and varnish material.
The trailer should not be overloaded, otherwise it will quickly become unusable. The service life of the entire structure depends on the quality of the frame element. Therefore, before starting work, it is necessary to determine what maximum load the hitch will carry and for what purposes it will be used.
There are three main trailer models:
- Light. Designed for a load of no more than 70 kg. This is usually a lightweight cart with one axle on which the driver’s seat is mounted. A trailer for transportation of goods is welded to the axle.
- Universal. It can transport small loads already up to 120 kg over rough terrain. For greater strength, an I-beam is used as a material for the manufacture of the frame.
- Heavy. In these instances, a metal profile and elements of an automobile chassis on a rubber track are used. Heavy trailer options are more reliable and durable, although slightly more expensive than other designs.
Some craftsmen make a dump trailer for a tiller. In work, it resembles the body of a cargo dump truck, but in order to make such a structure with your own hands, you need to clearly adhere to all dimensions of the drawing. There are no standard sizes for a trailer, the main thing is that it is not too wide and that it maneuvers comfortably, moving behind the tiller.
The advantages of a homemade design
For the first time in Russia, a factory tiller appeared in the middle of the 20th century, it was released in Perm. From that moment on, the device gained wide popularity among landowners. And to this day, it remains a significant assistant in agricultural activities.
The tiller is a single-axle stable cart with a medium or high power motor attached to it. But the main function of arable work is taken over by attachments, which are attached to the tiller. For example, a trailer allows you to transport large loads. There are factory cargo carts, but their cost is considerable, so it is advisable to know how to make trailed equipment yourself. Let’s consider the main advantages of this option:
- Profitability. A homemade cart is several times cheaper than a purchased unit.
- Factory bogies are most often produced as standard ones, focusing more on mini tractors and cars. Therefore, inconsistencies in the dimensions of the trailer and the tiller occur. This manifests itself in the mountings, seat height, etc.
- Finished trailers may have poor performance. Therefore, such a device will not last long in operation. You will be sure of the strength of a homemade design.
Before you start making a homemade trailer for a tiller, you should carefully study the diagrams and draw up drawings. This will avoid many problems that may arise during the installation process.
Preparing for assembly
When you have decided on the goals and dimensions, you need to start studying the drawings of the future cart. You should pay attention to these points when preparing for design:
- The ratio of the dimensions of the bogie and the power of the minitractor. It is very important to make sure that the dimensions of the trailer correspond to the width of the beds. Therefore, such a trailer must be the same width as the cultivator. If the rear wheels of the trailer are wider than the front wheels, then this is not critical. After the dimensions of the trailer are determined, it is worth dealing with the power of the tiller. If the cultivator has a power of 4.5 horsepower, then this means that the device will withstand a load of about 250 kg. Therefore, this will allow you to calculate the volume of the future body.
- Knowing for what purposes the trailer is being built, one can understand whether self-discharge is necessary or not. If the structure will be used for root crops, vegetables, fertilizers, etc., so as not to unload yourself, you can dump the load to your site.
- The undercarriage can be made in 2 versions: wheels on bearings or on axles. The latter is more difficult to find, but cheaper. And bearings are more expensive, but it is more convenient to carry out repair work and assembly with them. When making a decision, the aspect of the size of the wheels and the expected load on them remains important.
- The seat should be positioned in such a way that it is convenient to drive the tiller and this does not interfere with the opening of the body.
- Brakes and trolley parking support must be installed. Support is needed so that the cart does not fall over without a tiller.
Now that the goals are outlined, the plan is drawn up, the drawing is ready, you need to decide on what material the idea will be made of. And then we proceed to attach the trailer to the tiller.
Material and spare parts
Of course, the trailer will be from what is at hand. This could be the rear axle of a VAZ or something else. But it is worth familiarizing yourself with some of the features of the products:
- The metal body should be no thinner than 3.5 mm, then it can serve a long service. Stiffeners must be attached to such a cart so that the body does not “sink”. Wooden body is less durable but less expensive.
- Wheel diameter and width are important. The higher the wheel, the more cross-country ability a tiller with a trailer will have. Most often used wheels from a bicycle or motorcycle.
- For self-resetting (if available), you must purchase ready-made components. They are commercially available and inexpensive.
- Fittings or pipes of small diameter will fit as a frame.
- As a driver’s seat, you can use a seat from chairs or armchairs.
It is worth remembering that the less the trailer mass is, the better it will affect the tiller‘s carrying capacity.
Homemade trailer for tiller
A trailer for a mini tractor with your own hands can be made from any means that are in your arsenal. Dimensions, shape. all this according to your wishes. Accordingly, only your imagination, the availability of component parts and the prevailing needs will become the criteria for the implementation of your goal.
- The first place to start is assembling the frame. Its shape (square or rectangle) depends on the size of the trailer. It is important not to forget to make stiffeners on it in order to then attach the chassis and other connection nodes. It will be more convenient if the undercarriage is fastened to the bearings. You get a homemade foot. If you are welding the undercarriage onto an axle for a trailer, then you should install the removable mount to the frame with the corners down.
- We proceed to the installation of the hitch. Since the fastening mechanism is different on different models of the tiller, it will be better if it is purchased. Install a coupler on a piece of pipe that is welded to the frame.
- Body assembly. A metal body made of stainless steel or sheet steel will work best. The preparation for the body will be the welding of stiffeners at the bottom, as well as the sides for it. A metal profile of the appropriate size is welded to these ribs on the inside. Before installing the body, you should take care of installing the self-disposal unit (if any). In this case, you will need 2 frames: for the body and the main frame.
- Installing the driver’s seat. One large or two small tubes must be welded onto the frame, perpendicular to the axis on which the driver’s seat will be built. Further, a place is installed from other tubes or boards, which is equipped with a soft seat. Easy installation of a chair or chair is possible.
Making a trailer for a tiller is not a complicated process. Possessing elementary welding skills and the necessary tools, any person will be able to cope with this. The advantages are obvious: the desired dimensions of the trailer, its design, as well as financial benefits.
When you start assembling a trailer, you need to prepare in advance for the fact that you will have to work hard on its axis, and in particular, on its individual components. shock absorbers, springs, hubs. If everything works out, then such a trailer, regardless of the type of suspension used, will be no worse than the factory one.
In principle, no one bothers to purchase a ready-made axle, but self-assembly will be cheaper, besides, you will get an idea of what this part consists of and how it works.
Strictly speaking, if we consider the axle as a suspension element, then this is an ordinary pipe. It, depending on the section, is round and square. In terms of bending strength, two pipes with the same wall thickness and cross-sectional area will have a square better, but since characteristics such as streamlining must be taken into account, pipes with a square cross-section are usually not used.
If we talk about finished products, they usually come with a hub, and often with brakes. When assembling an axle for a trailer with your own hands, you need to take into account that there are two types of hubs:
The hub block is considered more reliable and durable, while it also costs more. The chamomile device is more simple, respectively, and the maintainability of such a hub is higher. Replacing the hubs does not involve disassembling them, which, in general, is not so bad, since it simplifies the replacement of a failed unit, making it easier to maintain the trailer.
The way of fastening the hubs to the axle is by welding or screwing. From the point of view of reliability, the welded structure is definitely better, but if the focus is on the ease of repair, then replacing the assembled hub is much easier.
Trailers designed for trucks are often equipped with a pivot axle. This design, equipped with a pivot pin, allows the trailer axle to rotate along the vertical axis. In passenger cars, such mobility is not required in most cases.
From the amortization point of view, suspension structures are torsion bar or spring.
Torsion models are currently quite in demand, which is explained by the following advantages:
- ease of use;
- no need to use shock absorbers;
- compact size and low weight;
- reduction of the free space between the trailer frame and the axle.
Everlast Trailer Project Build Pt 4: Axle Install
The torsion-type suspension belongs to independent varieties, such a structure is rigidly connected to the frame. It consists of a hollow polygonal pipe, inside which the same, but smaller diameter is placed, and the space between them is filled with rubber gaskets in the form of bundles, ensuring the immobility of the inner shaft to which the wheel is attached.
Torsion bar suspensions should not be used if the trailer is to be operated in rough conditions, but for city and asphalt roads this is the ideal solution.
Leaf springs are characterized by increased resistance to serious loads, since they provide an increased travel distance when compared to the torsion bar version. The disadvantage of this solution is that the springs need to be looked after more often, but their maintainability is also higher than that of torsion-bar counterparts.
Self-assembly of axles for a car trailer
An ordinary car is poorly suited for transporting heavy and bulky goods, therefore, it is often necessary to use a trailer. Buying such a device allows you to solve many problems, but for craftsmen, a much more preferable option is to assemble the trailer on their own. The cost of a homemade trailer may be several times less than the factory one. Today we will talk about one of the important components of the design of a trailer for a passenger car. its axle.
How to assemble an axle for a light trailer with your own hands
If you got to the stage of making the axle, then we can assume that you already have a frame and wheels. Let’s see how to make a full-fledged axle for a caravan from this set. Approximate algorithm of actions:
- choose a beam. Round or square is not so important. The main thing is that it is of the required size and is made of high-quality metal. otherwise it does not last long;
- the second step is connecting the hub axle on which the hub is mounted to our beam or pipe. It is advisable that the hub pipe goes inside the main one by a few millimeters. such a structure will be stronger. From this point of view, a round pipe will be preferable. The way they are connected is welding or bolting. Welding is more reliable, but in case of problems, it is hardly possible to dismantle the hub axle;
- if the trailer is single-axle, then there is a rule according to which it is installed at a distance from the tailgate, which is 40% of the length of the trailer;
- measurements of the place for placing the axle should be made with the highest possible accuracy;
- to facilitate installation, turn the trailer upside down, make sure that hanging spindles will not interfere with your work;
- at the installation site of the axle, carefully clean the surface of the frame from dirt, measure and halve the distance between the bushings, mark all control points with a marker;
- the axle is connected to the frame by means of spot welding, which is applied along the entire length of the contacting surfaces.
On this, the process can be considered complete. you just have to mount the wheels and sides. As for the type of suspension, here, as we have already noted, you can use both options, spring or torsion bar. However, many craftsmen put a spring-shock-absorbing suspension on a home-made trailer to provide a caravan with a softer ride. Do you need this excess for a trailer that will transport only cargo. it’s up to you, keep in mind that such a structure is much more difficult to install and will require more maintenance efforts.
Usually, the above two types of suspension are quite enough to ensure sufficient driving performance of a car trailer.
If you don’t want or don’t want to get confused with the manufacture of a cargo attachment to the car, you can purchase a ready-made factory trailer (you can advise the products Krepysh, Sputnik, MZSA, Flint, etc.).