How to make a trailer for a tiller with your own hands?
Theoretically, a cart for a tiller can be divided into such basic units – wheels, body, frame, hitch. Before starting work, you first need to think over the design to the smallest detail, calculate the dimensions and create drawings. Also pay attention to such points as the connection of solid assemblies and parts (welding, screwing, riveting), the connection of moving assemblies (bushings, bearings, hinges, axle), seat structure (simple or adjustable), body functionality (dump truck or static), footrests (platform or footrests), etc..
After you have decided on the project of the future trailer and selected the necessary materials, you need to clean the blanks from rust and dirt, if necessary, cut them off and fit to the drawings, fasten them. Upon completion of the work, it is advisable to paint the trailer.
Step-by-step work on a homemade cart for a tiller is as follows.
How to make a trailer for a tiller yourself: step by step instructions
tiller is a very useful and multifunctional technique for a private household. With its help, you can perform various work on the land. But also with its help you can carry out the transportation of considerable goods. And for this you need a tiller cart. There are many ready-made trailer models on sale. But their cost and quality are not always satisfactory. How to make a high-quality trailer for a tiller with your own hands, while spending a minimum of funds and efforts, we will tell you in this article.
Assembling the frame for the trailer to the tiller
The simplest option for making a frame is to connect a piece of pipe or metal profile to the wheel axle.
This option is suitable for a small trailer, to the frame of which a ready-made body will be attached. For a more reliable and powerful design, you need to weld the frame from round and rectangular pipes and corners.
The wheel axle can also be manufactured by yourself. For this, a steel rod is taken at least 1.07 cm in length and 30 mm in diameter..
The length should be taken into account and adjusted based on the dimensions of the trailer body. Wheels can be selected from old gardening equipment, from a handcart, motorcycle, moped or car – it all depends on the dimensions of the future product. Diagrams of 2 options for fastening the wheel chassis are shown in the figures below.
A single-axle trailer has a significant drawback – a shifted center of gravity. Because of this, the body may overturn, the load in it, or this will completely lead to equipment breakdown. For a large wheelbarrow designed to carry large loads, a two-axle structure should be designed. Basic fixings and parts will remain the same as for the single axle bogie project.
Dump trailer for tiller
In order to make your trailer a tipper, when designing the frame, weld the usual door hinges – “droplets” to beams 1 and 2 (shown in the photo below). To avoid tipping the body during driving and loading, it can be secured by welding a latch (such as a door latch) to the edge of the frame. Such a trailer is ideal for such trailer models as Neva MB-1, Neva MB-2, MTZ, Oka and other models of well-known manufacturers..
The body is made of wooden planks or sheet metal. For additional strength, stiffeners should be provided on the sides and bottom. In wooden bodies, the corners are reinforced with metal corners. It is recommended to make the tailgate on hinges, for the possibility of opening (the tailgate will be especially useful for dumping units).
Hitch and seat
Upon completion of the main work, after fastening all the main components of the structure, you can proceed to the assembly of the remaining parts of the trailer. The most important are the hitch and the seat..
Making a new trailer axle #2021
The hitch can be made from 3 pieces of pipe and a trailing mechanism (in our case it is a tee designed specifically for the tiller hitch unit) This hitch is bolted to the frame. The hitch device is shown in more detail in the diagram below. The seat can be welded on a regular one, for example, from an old car, or equipped with a tool box seat in front of the trailer. Its dimensions will depend on the overall trailer design. The main thing is not to use too thin boards and to securely fix the box..
The coupling device is manufactured or purchased depending on the mounting option on a particular trailer. It is important that the hitch fits properly to the tiller’s ear..
One of the hitch options is a console, the upper part of which repeats the tiller bracket, to which all attachments are attached.
Materials and tools
To work, you need the following tools:
- angle grinder for cutting parts;
- welding machine;
- welding electrodes;
- regular construction square for measuring angles.
In the manufacture of a trailed structure, the following materials and parts will be needed:
- metal profile pipes of square or rectangular cross-section;
- wheels and springs;
- duralumin sheets 2 mm thick;
- steel sheets;
- metal corners;
- metal rod;
All parts, especially if these are remnants of old metal products, are carefully inspected for damage, cracks, cleaned of rust, cut off.
tillers and motor cultivators on trailers consist of the following basic elements:
- hitch or drawbar;
- driver’s seat;
- steering gear;
To withstand heavy loads, a homemade tiller cart is reinforced with special stiffeners.
For a 1-axle trailer, a manual device is sufficient. A 2-axle tipper wagon with a heavy lifting capacity must be hydraulically operated against tipping..
With a lifting capacity of over 350 kg, the self-propelled cart is equipped with braking parts for safety. Mechanical brakes can be made by yourself. If these details are not taken into account, then when overloading during descent from a hill, the tiller’s trolley with its own hands will not be able to stop and overturn. In order for it to remain in the working position after disconnecting from the tiller, the stops are installed.
In order for the trolley to move, it is necessary to select the right hub for the wheelset. These can be special towing devices or models selected from old vehicles or trailers. Regardless of the design variant of the wheelset, the hub is not provided for. Among all units, the rear beam of the VAZ-2109 was widely used. This is a relatively inexpensive, but quite practical and effective solution..
Self-made trailer for tiller
The design of the cargo adapter for the tiller cannot be called daunting. In the presence of electric welding, an angle grinder and a drill, almost every owner of a hand-held tractor can make a trailer to the tiller with his own hands..
The main structural elements, for the manufacture of which a drawing or a detailed diagram is required, are the frame, carrier and body..
1 – tiller mounting bracket; 2 – rotary console, 3 – carrier; 4 – footboard; 5 – seat (board 20mm); 6 – trailer frame; 7 – side of the body from a board of 25 mm; 8 – support beam of the frame (bar 50 × 50mm); 9 – fixing bolt of the hinge M8; 10 – rear hinge assembly; 11 – wheel
Examining the device of the trailer for the tiller shown in the figure, you will notice that the carrier through the pivot assembly and the console is connected to the trailer module of the tiller. The other end of the carrier is inserted into the center tube of the frame.
The tube-in-tube design forms a kind of long hinge. It allows the wheels of the trailer to change their position independently of the wheels of the tiller while overcoming pits and bumps. This solution avoids deformation of the trailer structure..
1 – swivel unit; 2 – “drawbar” (round pipe 60 mm); 3 – footrest frame (corner 25 mm); 4 – stiffeners
The articulated hitch of the trailer with the trailer is carried out using a console – a steel axle. It stands on bearings in the rotating block. A flange is welded to the top of the console, with which it is attached to the tiller hitch.
To strengthen the joint of the drawbar with the body of the swivel unit, you need to use 4 stiffeners made of steel strip 4 mm thick.
When making a homemade trailer for a tiller, its frame is welded using several types of rolled metal: corner, rectangular and round pipes. The supporting frame must be strong and rigid so that when moving with a full load, its structural elements do not deform.
1 – brace (corner 20 x20); 2 – seat frame (corner 20 × 20); 3 – seat racks (corner 40 × 40); 4.5 – front struts (pipe 40 × 20); 6 – body frame strapping (corner 40 × 40); 7, 8 – wheel axle struts (corner 32 × 32); 9.10 – rear struts (pipe 40×20); 11 – reinforcing cross member (corner 40 × 40), 12 – central pipe 58 × 4; 13 – axis (rod 30 mm), 14 – gusset (sheet 4 mm).
To fix the carrier pipe, a hole is drilled through them in the central tube of the frame and a bolt with a locknut and a hairpin is inserted. In this case, a long “window” must be cut out in the central pipe..
In it, the fixing bolt passing through the carrier tube can move around the trailer axis without moving in the longitudinal direction. This is the final operation necessary for the reliable operation of the pipe-in-pipe hinge, which we described above..
For the manufacture of a wheel axle, you need to take a rod of high-quality steel with a diameter of 30 mm. With the central tube of the frame, the platform strapping from the corner and the struts, it is connected by electric welding.
A fixed body can be made from 25 mm boards or its sides can be made of steel sheet 1.5 mm thick by welding it onto vertical posts from a 40×40 mm corner. If there is a need to open the sides, then several loops must be welded to the frame, to which the side frame will be attached. Latches must be welded to the corners of the frame, which will fix the sides in the transport position.
With a properly balanced tiller trailer, the load center of gravity is closer to the headboard and does not go beyond the wheel axle. This requirement must be taken into account when drawing up a drawing of a homemade design.
Passenger car wheels can be used as trailer wheels by purchasing them assembled with hubs. Before installing the wheels on the axle, you need to carefully grind its seats for the inner diameter of the wheel hub bearings and provide a locknut with a locking cotter pin.
Trolley trolley – trailed equipment for universal agricultural motor vehicles for transporting goods on personal and land plots. With the help of such a mechanism, garbage, animal feed, building materials, fertilizer, grain, inventory are transported.
The trailer and tiller adapter are homemade varieties made by skilled mechanics. The adapter is a longitudinal beam with its own chassis, driver’s seat and footrest. This module makes it possible to work the soil in a sitting position, as well as attach 2 equipment at once – in front and behind.
How To Build A DIY Utility Trailer for CHEAP!
The trolley is a type of adapter with a difference in the design of the undercarriage..
A purchased cart for a tiller is expensive. To save financial resources, craftsmen make it themselves, design construction drawings, select the necessary materials. The process of creating such a useful vehicle does not take long and is not difficult. Even a beginner, at least a little versed in technology, can handle it..
A brief overview will help you understand the question of how to make a tiller cart yourself with good performance.
In order to understand how to make a cart to the tiller with your own hands, you need to perform the following operation algorithm:
- For the manufacture of a supporting welded rigid frame, take 5 pipe blanks, cut off the ends of an angle grinder.
- Press with clamps to the chipboard sheet and weld the joints of 3 longitudinal blanks with 2 perpendicular ones so that they create a lattice frame.
- Check the geometry of the structure with a regular construction square. The angles of the connected ribs must be 90 °.
- Install spacers between the tacked workpieces in the corners of the bottom and in the center, tack with welding.
- To the longitudinal pipes of the bottom, make tacks with a welding electrode 4 vertical posts in the corners.
- Check the perpendicularity of the corners, check the dimensions of the sides of the structure with the dimensions in the drawing of the cart for the tiller.
- Finally weld all the workpieces to each other, grind the welded seams, clean them of sagging and formations.
- The body can be made of plywood or wooden planks, while the corner joints are fixed with steel corners.
- Boards are mounted on the frame and bolted on.
- More durable sides of the master are made of steel sheets. The sides can be hinged and fixed. Hinged sides of the body are considered more rational, because unloading cargo of large volumes is easier. The sides are also made of square or rectangular metal pipes. They are performed, like the frame, they are grabbed, the geometry is checked for strength and to avoid braces and deviations, they are finally welded, rigidly attached to the frame. The tailgate is fastened with ordinary door hinges and equipped with latches.
- Take a metal rod with a diameter of 30 mm and a length of about 1050 mm to make an axle for wheels, connect it with a longitudinal hinge and corner supports. The length should be chosen so that the axle does not go beyond the limits of the wheels. Sharpen it to the required diameters of the bearings in the hubs.
- As a running gear, you can take a wheelbase from a scooter, stroller, wheelbarrow or other agricultural machinery. Heavy wheels from a car trailer with hubs are not recommended to be installed.
- For the manufacture of the drawbar, take 2 profile pipes with a diameter of 25×50 mm and a length of about 1.85 m, weld them to the frame beam so that a triangular structure is obtained. For reinforcement in the corners, metal kerchiefs with a thickness of 4 mm are attached by welding, a plate with a thickness of 8 mm is attached in front of the trolley.
- Tipper technology provides for the installation of door hinges attached to the bottom of the beam and to the bottom struts.
- Sheathe the frame of the structure made with wooden boards, plastic or metal.
- The driver’s seat on the tiller with a trolley is installed ready-made or in the form of homemade boxes from a piece of chipboard and foam rubber sheathed with dermantin. Such boxes are necessary to hide inventory and materials..
- The machine’s parking brake can be used as a brake. Fix the brake pedal made of 6 mm thick plate on the footrest under the seat, weld 2 corners. Install the pedal in the front part, in the back – a plate with 2 holes for fastening brake cables, the ends of which are connected to a T-shaped plate with a rod.
In this way, you can make a do-it-yourself trolley cart.
High-quality soil cultivation is not an easy task, it will require not only incredible work, but also the presence of certain skills. More recently, the work was completely manual, today it is possible to automate a number of processes in order to achieve even more impressive work efficiency. Below it is proposed to consider how you can make a high-quality and reliable cart for a tiller with your own hands, equip it with everything you need.
Cart structure and drawings
tiller is a rather useful equipment in agriculture. To increase the indicator of the efficiency of its use, it is necessary to use special attachments – attachments. The most practical is a motoblock trailer, the attachment of which will allow the tiller to be used as a vehicle. It is worth noting that for this it is absolutely not necessary to purchase a completely ready-made factory version, you can try to make a trolley yourself, using the simplest possible set of equipment and units.
In the drawing below, you can see what a homemade trolley cart is, what basic units it consists of and what should be used in its development.
Drawing and dimensions of the tiller cart
Axle and wheels
The approximate size of the bogie wheel axle is one meter and looks like a bar. If you make the length less, the wheels will not fit within the established boundaries of the body. As standard support elements, conventional corner supports are excellent. Through the use of welding, the master can qualitatively connect the body elements of the hinge, as well as the spar with the corresponding rod.
A set of “earrings” and a bracket axis adjusted to the required size are put on the side members. Virtually any wheel used in the automotive industry will be practical for a DIY cart. For example, tires from a VAZ car, but it is better to look for special wheels for a trolley assembly.
If you choose large wheels, this will contribute to the formation of better cross-country ability and a fundamental increase in the functional properties of the device..
Differential Tiller Hub
The hub for the tiller is the main component in the operation of such equipment. It is designed to be attached to the tiller of attachments intended for performing agronomic manipulations..
The hub can be used to attach equipment such as pneumatic wheels.
There are two types of hubs:
- differential hub.
It is generally accepted that the differential hub is universal for all types of tillers. It makes it possible to simplify the maneuvers of the technique and is suitable for both the cart and the tiller. The differential hub consists of a retainer and several bearings. To perform the turning maneuver, you just need to unlock the required lock. The hub with bearings is used for the tiller cart and is universal for all motoblock agricultural machinery. When using a hub with a differential, you will simplify your life and improve the functionality of the tiller, thereby prolonging its working life..
Tillers with wheels are standardly equipped with these elements, but it is not very convenient to remove them every time when it is necessary to attach attachments. Therefore, it is logical to acquire another pair. This will save you time and reduce wear on key components. Below you can familiarize yourself with a diagram of how to make a hub for a tiller with your own hands.
Tiller hubs: how to make it yourself?
The need for these devices for a tiller is undeniable. Different types of such structural elements are used for motor vehicles. They can be purchased on the motoblock equipment market or made with your own hands. This process is straightforward if you follow the instructions exactly. It is enough just to make a hub for a tiller with your own hands using the following drawing.
When making a part by hand, it is best to use the highest quality materials. There is a need for the element to be durable, since a large load falls on it during operation.
Tiller hubs – features and how to do it yourself?
Tiller hubs are a necessary element to install pneumatic wheels or metal lugs on the unit. It belongs to the mounted type of equipment. Its main purpose is to aggregate pneumatic or metal wheels with hooks to motoblock equipment.
In this article, we will talk in detail about what a hub for a tiller is, what are its main functions. We will also touch on the topic of how to make hubs for a tiller with your own hands, using ready-made drawings and pictures for this.
How to make hubs for a tiller with your own hands?
It is not difficult to make the hubs for the tiller according to the drawings with your own hands. The technology is simple.
To begin with, the product is turned from a metal blank on a lathe. Alternatively, you can grind a flange and weld it to a part of a metal rod or pipe. Grinding the part is according to the dimensions in the drawing.
For making an element with your own hands, it is best to use high-quality steel. This part will be constantly subjected to serious stress, therefore, it must be durable.
General information and characteristics
For a cart, tiller, cultivator, the hub is an irreplaceable component. With the help of this part, as well as, thanks to the installation of a special hitch, it is possible to much more efficiently and better quality, for example, hilling and plowing the land, harvesting, planting potatoes.
The hub for the tiller is of two main types. In particular, these are:
- differential hub for tiller with unlocking (differential);
- ordinary detail.
It is believed that the hub is differential – it is universal for all types of tillers. Hubs for a tiller with a differential are needed if the walk-behind tractor is not equipped with a wheel unlocking function, and turning or turning the agricultural machinery causes great difficulties at the end of the beds. Differential hub with cart or tiller bearings will improve the maneuverability of the device. That is why the differential hub is universal for all types of tillers: it allows you to make only one additional revolution to the stop and makes it easier to maneuver the device..
Differential options (or semi-axles with a differential) consist of:
- from the retainer;
- one or two bearings.
To make a U-turn, it is necessary to remove the lock from the latch on the right side.
The hub for the tiller can also be of different diameters. There are such details in shape:
- hex (24 and 32 millimeters);
Helpful hints and tips
When using hub elements for a cultivator or walk-behind tractor, you need to remember the following rules. They will help improve the performance of these parts..
- When ordering a hub for a tiller, it is imperative to indicate the type and model of the motoblock device.
- Traditionally, one hub set is sold complete with agricultural equipment. It is recommended to purchase an additional kit. Then, when working with different types of mounted agricultural equipment, it will not be necessary to rearrange the hub components. In particular, this applies to the use of lugs. This “trick” will save time.
- If pneumatic wheels are included with the motoblock device, then the hub parts will also be included in the set for this agricultural technique..
Do-it-yourself multifunctional trailer for a tiller: stages of work, video instruction
Having decided on the dimensions and sketching the drawing, you should calculate how many meters of rolled metal and how many channels will be needed to make a homemade trailer. This is necessary in order to protect yourself from unnecessary costs for the purchase of unnecessary parts and fasteners..
Required materials and tools:
- welding machine;
- steel corners 40×40 mm and 50×25 mm;
- timber measuring 50×50 mm;
- boards 20 mm thick;
- cutting pipes of round and rectangular cross-section;
- complete wheels with hub.
The future trailer will consist of four main units connected by welding.
- The frame is assembled from scraps of pipes and corners of 40×40 mm and 50×25 mm and the frame is connected by welding.
- The body is made of 20 mm planks, the nodes of which are then sheathed with steel corners.
- With the help of three supporting beams, the role of which is played by wooden beams, the body is mounted on the trailer frame.
- Wheels are installed on the structure. Before this, it is necessary to sharpen the ends of the axle rod so that its diameter matches the dimensions of the hub bearings. It is necessary to follow the length of the rod. When assembled, the wheels must not protrude beyond the rims of the body..
- Through corner supports and gussets, the rod is welded to the body of the longitudinal hinge and side members.
- The trailer will be attached to the tiller using a do-it-yourself console. The lower part of this element is the axis around which the pivot unit rotates. The upper part should be made so that it follows the contours of the hiller holder. The console is attached to the attachment bracket.
- In order for the trailer wheels to work independently of the wheels of the tiller, and to make the equipment easy to operate, it is recommended to insert the drawbar into the body of the longitudinal hinge and secure with thrust rings.
The tiller trailer is ready. Now you can fix the footrest and the driver’s seat, from which the equipment will be controlled.
Simple trailer for the “Neva” tiller
To start making a cart with your own hands, you need to prepare the following materials and tools:
- duralumin sheet with a thickness of 2 mm;
- steel sheets with a thickness of 0.8 mm;
- springs and wheels;
- steel pipes 25×25 and 60×30 mm;
- welding machine;
- Angle Grinder.
The trailer frame will be a one-piece structure mounted on a frame grille. For its manufacture, two traverses of 25×25 mm must be made transverse and pipes 60×30 mm must be attached to them so that the result is a lattice.
Two longitudinal pipes are welded to the finished lattice, on top of which a 25×25 mm strapping is attached by welding. The material for the sides will be steel sheets, which are cut to the required size and welded..
The turn of the beam has come, for the manufacture of which two channels will be needed. The elements are inserted into each other, after which the wheel axles are put on one of the ends of the resulting part.
The spar is connected by means of springs, the end of which should be put on the beam axle and the shackle axle. Then, the central part of the springs must be welded to the same beam with stepladders..
Last but not least, you need to make a drawbar with your own hands from 60×30 mm pipes. They should be docked and, by welding, one part should be connected to the trailer, and the other to the side members..
A simple tiller trailer is ready. I would like to note that experts recommend using a welding machine to connect its parts. Such a mount will allow you to operate the structure for a long time..
First of all, you need to think about what size the trailer should be so that it fits a certain tiller, and it is convenient to use it. After that, you will need to sketch a drawing or a sketch of the trolley, on which to display the structure from different angles, put down all the dimensions and draw the nodes.
You need to think over everything to the smallest detail, so that during the assembly of equipment there are no difficulties. To do this, you need to understand:
- screwing, riveting or welding will connect non-separable units and parts;
- how axles, bearings, bushings, hinges will be connected;
- which seat is better to install (simple or rotating);
- from what to make an emphasis on the legs for the parking;
- Do you need a tipping body, to which you will have to add a mechanical tipper or a self-dumping unit with a special handle;
- which unit of attachment to the tiller to select (on bearings, bushings or articulated).
Having dealt with all these questions, you can start preparing a list of necessary materials and calculating the approximate cost of the future trailer.
Do-it-yourself trolley trolley: dimensions, drawings, video
Equipment such as a tiller is an excellent assistant when working in the field, garden, country house or farm. To expand the capabilities of the equipment, you can attach a trailing device to it and transport soil, garbage, crops, tools and other heavy or oversized loads. You can make a trailer for the tiller with your own hands, spending just a few days on it. The result is an irreplaceable assistant that will facilitate further work..
Homemade trailer to the tiller from car parts
Having drawn up a drawing in advance and prepared the necessary materials and tools, you can assemble such a trailer with your own hands in 1-2 days.
For work you will need:
- front axle shafts from Zhiguli or Moskvich;
- channel 65 mm along the body length;
- corners 60×60 mm;
- two pipes 2 m long;
- one pipe 60×40 mm, 3-5 m long;
- welding machine.
The bearing part of the structure will be the axle, which is made from a channel. Its length depends on the length of the future trailer. On both sides of the channel, the axle shafts from the car are attached by welding. Profile pipes are installed on top:
- One pipe is centered. She will act as a drawbar. Its length must be selected in accordance with the dimensions of the hitch..
- Two-meter pipes are laid along the edges of the channel, in the place where it meets the ends of the axle shafts. As a result, the channel joint must divide each pipe in half..
- Short pipes are laid parallel to each other and fastened perpendicularly with corners.
To ensure the structure of strength and rigidity, from the front corners of the trolley, profile corners or pipes should be pulled. Joints can be bolted or welded.
The trailer frame is ready. Now you can install on it a simple wooden body made with your own hands, a seat and attach it to the drawbar.
After watching the video instructions and studying the article, you can understand that in order to make a trailer for a tiller with your own hands you do not need to be a designer or mechanic. To implement the plan, you will need a drawing, the necessary tools, materials and a little desire and free time.