Started on: 07-11-2010 09:14 AM
Replies: 40
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 07-27-2010 08:12 PM
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever do this? I have a box full of old remote control cars so the control part is taken care of.
I was thinking why couldn't they be adapted to a couple of old starter motors to push my lawn mower around. The front wheels would have to be replaced with casters. The rear wheels would be a direct drive, they already have the notches in the wheels and are large. If you put a motor on each wheel you could steer it.

Sounds simple. SO would it be too hard to control with a simple on off type control for the motors? Would the starter motors run in reverse? Should I uses some other motor that I can control the speed better?

So Jake why are you so lazy that you cant push your lawn mower around. Well guys I have a hard time breathing after mowing just half the yard. The dust and grass dust is so bad here in Florida that I cant stand to mow, if I could sit in the driveway and steer the mower around or even stand a few feet away from it I could avoid most of the dust.
Why not just pay someone to mow the grass? Ha let me ask you this, who works on your Fiero? If your like me you don't want anyone else touching your stuff.

This could be fun, I have only thought of this for about an hour and I already have the front wheels figured out and will be able to install them right away, even if I don't put the remote part on the mower it will make what I have now turn better as it will have turning front wheels instead of fixed wheels.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Never done it, but have wanted to forever.

Here's a couple of people who have done it:

http://members.iinet.net.au...pshow/RCLM/intro.htm

http://www.instructables.co...rduino-RC-Lawnmower/
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post
If the dust is what is causing you the problem, get a 99cent face mask? Its cheaper

I don't see why you cant make one, plenty have ( like the above pictures ) and you can buy self steering robot mowers. Just be sure you have all the bases covered for safety. Don't want ti running amok mowing down kids or pets if it gets away from you.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Yes those were my inspiration but I was going to try and make it more compact. I will have to keep my eye out for a used (Free) lawn mower. They are always getting thrown away around here when they quit working. Most of the time its just a spark plug or air cleaner issue.

My current mower already has the large back wheels, I think those will give me the best gearing for a direct drive mounted on the tires. I just need to figure out what to use for the motors. I wonder if Fiero head light motors would work? I don't think they turn fast enough to push the mower around the yard.

My current mower has a dead mans switch, I could use it with a switch on the electric motors in case it runs off on me. Just install a trip wire around the yard to kill the motors if it hits it. That will also keep the kids out of the yard at night LOL
billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
I ways wanted to but never did. I was going to use a Electric Wheelchair .

HEH I just click on 1st link. I saw Electric Wheelchair.. Go figer

[This message has been edited by billpapps (edited 07-11-2010).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

If the dust is what is causing you the problem, get a 99cent face mask? Its cheaper

I cant stand the masks, I do use them but after a few minutes they make it so hard to breath that I just remove them.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
The simplest remote-control mower I ever built was a self-propelled craftsman, 100 feet of nylon rope, and a couple of screw-in-the-ground pet leash anchors.

Tie the rope to the lawnmower and one of the anchors, stick the second one a couple feet away so the rope will wind around the 2 of them, fire it up, engage the self-ropell drive, and sit back sucking a beer while it doeas its thing and spirals inward.

Ya still have to trim up the corners and the center where the stakes were, but that only takes a couple minutes
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Yes those were my inspiration but I was going to try and make it more compact. I will have to keep my eye out for a used (Free) lawn mower. They are always getting thrown away around here when they quit working. Most of the time its just a spark plug or air cleaner issue.

My current mower already has the large back wheels, I think those will give me the best gearing for a direct drive mounted on the tires. I just need to figure out what to use for the motors. I wonder if Fiero head light motors would work? I don't think they turn fast enough to push the mower around the yard.

My current mower has a dead mans switch, I could use it with a switch on the electric motors in case it runs off on me. Just install a trip wire around the yard to kill the motors if it hits it. That will also keep the kids out of the yard at night LOL

I also doubt the headlight motors would be strong enough for drive, but they might be ok for steering. If you get lucky, you might find a dead self propelled and have 1/2 the work already done done.. Just add steering up front and the radio and you are done. Or even better, a dead tractor.. Sure it would be big and huge unless you cut it down to get rid of the extras ( like seat, etc ) but it already steers

[This message has been edited by User00013170 (edited 07-11-2010).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

User00013170

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

The simplest remote-control mower I ever built was a self-propelled craftsman, 100 feet of nylon rope, and a couple of screw-in-the-ground pet leash anchors.

Tie the rope to the lawnmower and one of the anchors, stick the second one a couple feet away so the rope will wind around the 2 of them, fire it up, engage the self-ropell drive, and sit back sucking a beer while it doeas its thing and spirals inward.

Ya still have to trim up the corners and the center where the stakes were, but that only takes a couple minutes

Or a single pole ( like for a tether ball ) and mount the rope in the center of the mower and even perhaps angle the front wheels so it wont drag across your yard. Of cousre if you are like me and have actual plants and trees in your yard, that wont work.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by billpapps:

I ways wanted to but never did. I was going to use a Electric Wheelchair .

Thats what the other guys are doing. They just replace the rear wheels with the power chair drive and rig up a remote interface.
I want to make something that I can pull the handle and attach to the existing mower.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6899345.html
Something like this only I want to reuse the existing wheel and adjustment levers.

Or this setup!
billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
Jake, IZa Gona hunt ya down if you get me back into RCs,,,Got me thinking about this mower.
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Depending on the size of your yard, You might be able to make a remote controlled mower (as opposed to radio controlled). Have a wired controller attached from a high central location (tree, flagpole, etc) Wouldn't need batteries in this case. WOuld hafta make sure the mower couldn't run over the wire, though...
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-11-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Depending on the size of your yard, You might be able to make a remote controlled mower (as opposed to radio controlled). Have a wired controller attached from a high central location (tree, flagpole, etc) Wouldn't need batteries in this case. WOuld hafta make sure the mower couldn't run over the wire, though...

I have wired electric, and ya its a lot easier said then done to not run over the cord.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
If Jake has a remote-controlled mower, he can use it while sitting in the Corvette, making vroom vroom noises. What a deal!
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

If Jake has a remote-controlled mower, he can use it while sitting in the Corvette, making vroom vroom noises. What a deal!

My wife wants me to make a body that looks like a car.

or

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Jake_Dragon

32853 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Ok so i have a

This is how I want the rear steering to work. This will also allow me to turn the mower and line it up with the cut I just made.

It seems to me that the ones on line are going way to fast, one of them was popping wheelies. They would be hard to catch if something went wrong and they would be hard to control. I want something that has a lot of TQ but speed isn't what I am after. It needs to go about the same speed as me walking behind it. I think a tethered kill switch would be good, its much harder for a simple mechanical switch to fail then to depend on electronics to stop it from mowing the neighbors flowers or worse.

For controls I was thinking of something as simple as the automotive electric windows, just use relays instead of switches. Because its not moving fast a simple on off switch shouldn't be that hard to control. Plus I have a parts car with working switches and motors.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 07-11-2010).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Get an old FlyMo and build it hovercraft-style .......IIRC, those were even commercially avaialable in the UK a few years ago.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Jake...... THIS IS AWESOME!!!

I have never seen this before and I WANT ONE!!! I had a couple ideas right off the bat. I think you are on the right track with the tractor/tank drive. Only problem is where can you get the track from cheap? Another thought is that I had bought one of those barbie jeeps for my kids awhile back. It is pretty stout for what it is and pushed both my kids easily around the yard. They are not a little older and I bought them a gas powered quadrunner so the barbie just sits. It comes with a battery and charger unit. Perhaps it could be torn down and used for this project? I am thinking a welded frame and simple remote control unit from an RC car and some ingenuity and you would be sitting in the lawn chair sippin pina coladas mowing the lawn in no time? I have a very nice Craftsman mower here that I really like and it is very powerful but I always regretted not anteing up for a rider, only problem is that I do not have the room for one so I got the self propelled mower instead. I would love to have a Rc mower that would allow me to remove the handle which would make storing it even easier.... A tractor drive is the way to go here and I saw a video on youtube of a frame that was kinda wider with a single pivoting wheel in front. That would make turning that much easier and as long as it was wide enough should be plenty stable..... There are actually several that way on youtube. This kinda project is right up my alley man and I for one am excited about trying this..... peace

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-11-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Get an old FlyMo and build it hovercraft-style .......IIRC, those were even commercially avaialable in the UK a few years ago.

There was another 'flying mower' thingie back in teh 80s i think. electric only. Saw it on some infomercial when i was in highschool.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Just made an offer on an electric wheel chair. If its still for sale it will give me the drive and wheels. I may even be able to use the controller.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post07-11-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

http://www.classic-lawns.co...og/hover_mowers.html
Nick

Ya, this was what i was thinking of:

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Ok I guess this will get done. I have some great ideas just need to see what happens first. There is a power chair place on the way home from work, I will stop in and see what they do with old chairs. I will also keep my eyes open for a free lawn mower to get a deck to work with so I don't have to use my existing lawn mower.
The hover mower is a good idea, it would keep the total weight down but it would also not be as effective as a heavy steel blade as Florida grass is pretty thick and hard to cut.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Jake, those flymo's have a triple steel blade, which also doubles as the impeller to lift the flymo.
Can I make a suggestion here? Three-wheeler Replace the two front 'steering' wheels with a single centre-mounted wheel, steerd by a 'boat tiller' set-up. MUCH easier to control, and set up, IMHO. Only need two motors then...one to drive it, and one to operate the steering tiller/arm. I'll do a little diagram in Paint
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Use a windscreen wiper motor for the steering
Nick
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
For steering I think having both drive wheels turn independent of each other. The front wheels will be free to pivot like most self propelled mowers are now. To turn I just shut power off to the side I want to turn into and the other side will power the wheel around. This will pivot the mower on the wheel and line it up for the next path I want to cut. This is how most wheel chairs work and may save me some time finding a drive train if I can find a used wheel chair. I already found one on line if they still have it. If not then I have other ideas. I already have some tubing to make the frame out of.

Think of the Zero Turn Mowers.

Here is one you can buy now in Tampa of all places.
http://www.dailymotion.com/...lawn-mower-news_news
http://www.dailymotion.com/...ntrol-lawn-mowe_tech
http://www.dailymotion.com/...lawn-mower-news_news
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
BUT...how will you drive the blades with that system??
Nick
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Basic lawn mower with a independent drive system. The blades will run off the gas engine and the drive will be electric.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

Nick
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Don't like mowing, simple answer, rent a goat. When it's full, take it back and get another one.

Ron
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Don't like mowing, simple answer, rent a goat. When it's full, take it back and get another one.

Ron

LOL my wife wants one. She thinks it will eat the car parts I have stored in the yard
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
This is how you mow a tomb:
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
This.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Ron

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
LOL my wife wants one. She thinks it will eat the car parts I have stored in the yard

Then just do what we do. Tie the goats collar to a dog line screw. Then move the screw when he is done. Mows and fertilizes at the same time.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Then just do what we do. Tie the goats collar to a dog line screw. Then move the screw when he is done. Mows and fertilizes at the same time.

Steve

Somewhere, I just know there's a joke in that quote.
But, I just can't bring myself to say it.

Ron
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
The wife brought home an old lawn mower yesterday. I had to clean out the carburetor and it was leaking real bad. I fixed it and got it running.
Now do I fix it up and gift it so I don't have to keep loaning mine or do I go all Frankenstein on it.

What do you think I will do?

I was reading up and someone suggested using old windshield wiper motors. They already have a gear box and are made to run for hours at a time in all kinds of weather.
I just happen to have two different kind of motors sitting here. Oh what to do
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
If you have to steer a remote control mower using a joystick or other such device, what's the difference if you just sit on a riding mower and steer?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:

If you have to steer a remote control mower using a joystick or other such device, what's the difference if you just sit on a riding mower and steer?

As long as you had a decent view of you yard (bay window, etc) with a RC mower, you could mow from your Air Conditioned living room...
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:

Cool factor?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock