To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Craftsman mower + Honda engine

curliejones

Although this is probably the least likely group to have trouble, I'm trying to get the word out about my latest machine purchase. I wanted a new push mower for trim work, etc. and bought an MTD-produced "Craftsman" M140 from Lowe's. This is a push mower, 21" cut, and Honda 160 cc engine. This is almost identical to the one I'm replacing, a "Huskee" 21" mower that came from Tractor Supply 6-7 yrs ago. My old motor is great, but I do have a few holes in the steel deck.

An unlikely sequence of events occurred as I checked out a few things before putting into service. I loosened the oil cap/dipstick then realized I wanted to check that the blade was secured properly before putting oil in the engine. I tilted the mower to check the blade and found oil on the shop floor.

There was a special bulleting warning the consumer that this engine required only 12 oz of oil despite there being 15 oz in the bottle provided. There's language warning of the possible harm from overfilling. Additionally, there's a hang tag around the gas fill cap telling you there's no oil in the engine. I tilted the mower to check the blade and found oil on the shop floor.

I topped off the oil level from the bottle and found it only took nine oz since I evidently had not spilled all of the oil from the engine. Though many of us would catch this by checking the oil level after adding 12 oz of oil (not sure if it would hold 24 oz), how many consumers are out there ruining perfectly good engines by adding "12 oz only" following the instructions when someone somewhere already put oil in the engine?

This is not a consumer safety issue (Federal CPSC) but more a consumer fraud issue. MTD has proven difficult to get on the phone, but I did contact Lowe's hoping they will run it up the food chain to MTD.

Moral of the story - Trust No One? and they proudly display made in USA from Global components.

kd3pc

rtfm...

no need to involve the maker or the Feds

almost all are this way, some are lifetime lubed.

OP
C

curliejones

"Additionally, there's a hang tag around the gas fill cap telling you there's no oil in the engine."

I wonder when the production line with all the tags, bulletins, and stickers will catch on? Perhaps they should change the hang tag to say "the engine has oil from the factory; we have included a bottle of motor oil for your first oil change after _ hours of use."

SnapOnGuy13

The factory had put break in oil in when they test ran the mower before giving it the final go ahead. My guess is that they forgot to drain it when they were done. The oil they give you is also a break in oil that needs to be changed after the manufactures recommended hours of use. If you don't change it the oil will become way to thin and lose its viscosity properties.

Top Bottom