To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Harbor Freight Tire changer

hotdogstand

I needed to change the tires on my truck and I hate going to a shop for anything I'm reasonably certain that I can learn to do myself. To add fuel to the fire I had recently heard from a friend that tire shops around here were charging extra to do LT tires "because they had to use the bigger machine."

Years ago I tried my hand at changing a tire manually and ended up with a bent rim and a holey tire after probably 45 minutes worth of work. Hoping that this time would be different I went down to my local purveyor of imported trial tools to pick up their manual tire changer apparatus. I had a coupon for some percent off, but they normally run $45 compared to 100 for a similar unit from northern tool.

My thoughts:
Goes together like the picture on the box
The "spoon" or iron is just awful. The casting is rough, the sides of the mold are offset and jagged, and the finish might be powdercoat, but it's more likely just 12 layers of paint to hide the imperfections. I immediately blasted both ends clean and used a flap wheel to polish the casting marks out. The smoother the better, and though I failed to do this I recommend waxing the bare metal.

I used 3 50# bags of quick set concrete to pour a mini slab outside the shop. I had to drill the base of the mounter from 7/16 to 1/2 for the j-bolt anchors I picked up for this project. If you go this route, pour a larger slab. While adequate for the most part, the slab tried to lift when removing tires with a lot of leverage.

The bead breaker is flimsy. It needs a strong boot to stay in the bead and not go skating across your rim. I'll probably shore it up with some 1x1 angle at a later date. It survived this round.

The packaging and description both state that this unit is for "up to 16 inch rims." I dont know how they came to that conclusion and I couldn't determine any physical limitations so I went ahead and used it for some 285/70R17s from my 2500HD. Maybe halfway through removing the first tire the post broke along the "weld." It looked as if the post, which is just 1.5 inch thin wall tubing, was only brazed into the stand. I broke the Hobart out and laid some thick beads down and got back to work.

I foolishly installed the clamp (the ring with 4 tabs that holds the rim steady) upside down for one of the wheels and the thin tubing warped into a square. It no longer works correctly so I'll be fabbing a replacement soon.

Reinstalling tires:
The iron is very likely to scratch your rims. Clean the lip thoroughly and use tire lube. I used Windex. It works well and comes in a spray bottle. Dish soap is a cheap option as well. Spend the money on a bead clamp. I didn't and it makes this part much more challenging than it needs to be. My wheels are chrome so I wrapped the outer beads in vinyl tape to protect them from the iron.

The tabs on the collar/clamp with seriously mar the hub area on the rims, so I put some shop rags on the stand before mounting the wheel, and some over the wheel before securing the clamps. I was worried about this part but it worked well. I also wrapped the little "leg" that you insert through a lug stud hole with vinyl tape to prevent damage to the wheel.

Results: I have four new tires installed and I'm reasonably certain my rims are still round! The rims are survived free of any nicks in the beads.
The tires I was dealing with are E range (10 ply equivalent) and seriously pushed the limits of this simple tool. I expect that it would perform more reasonably for lighter duty passenger car tires. Bottom line is that I'll spend more time and making the necessary upgrades than if I had just purchased the more expensive model from a more reputable dealer. If you are on the fence with this one, consider your budget vs your skills. If you can cut and weld and perform the necessary modifications, that's great. If not, consider spending at least double.

Last edited:

kkinla

You think the passenger tires are easier to mount/dismount with a harbor freight manual tire changer, you haven't tried to mount a low profile tire yet!

foreverfalcon40

Do you mind me asking where you live?

I live in Long Island, NY. Everything is expensive! I upgraded to 19.5's on my dually running a 225/70/19.5

Steer Tires are F
Drive Tires are G

I got crazy prices all over to install them. I use to work at a tire shop, there is NO REAL DIFFERENCE installing LT tires compared to P tires. The should more for LOW PRO's (PITA TO MOUNT) and Bigger Diameter Tires ( tend to consume more wheel weights).

Anyway make a long story short...I found a used tire Place :$20 a wheel (mounted and balanced) I didn't blink twice. Are close to a local Sears Auto? I think they would have gotten you for about $100 with out a commercial discount.

I agree with fastbike02...cost and time (time is money) seems the "pro's could of handled this.

In the end I am glad you made it work!

Last edited:
OP
H

hotdogstand

Honestly I bought the tool because I often have cheap project cars that aren't worth the expense of paying a real shop to do it. If it was just for my truck then I would have barely broken even, but I can't justify dropping an extra hundred on a beater that I'm trying to sell.
This post is a review of the tool for those interested in purchasing one. I read a lot of reviews before making my purchase but none experienced the difficulties I did so I wrote my own. :)

Leaflessshadetree

I'll use my HF changer (yes I bought a better bar) for motorcycles, trailers and lawn mower tires. Most places want $80-120 for mounting a MC tire and they only last about 10k miles. A lot of shops won't mess with trailer or lawn mower tires.
So far it has worked well. I haven't broken anything on it.
It's bolted to a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" plywood.

Mounting Car and truck tires is usually cheap enough that I don't mind paying to have it done.

Showkey

"MEMBER EMERITUS"
Hotdog........Changing the tire is the first step.............any car or truck will need balancing ?????

Last edited:

fastbike02

Do yall's local walmarts not have tire centers in them? around here it's 12.50 mount and balance if you take the old tires with you or for an extra 2 bucks they'll deal with disposing of the tire

cide1

I have the HF tire changer, and use it only on beat up steel wheels. A few days ago I had a local place known for quality work mount and balance 4 new tires onto some nice aftermarket aluminum wheels for $120.

crguy

Almost every day there is a new thread about some Harbor Freight tool that someone has bought that was just a POS.
Why do people keep buying that crap? Is it just that bottom feeder mentality? :bitchslap

OP
H

hotdogstand

To the positive replies, thanks. To the negative replies: there is a harbor freight 2 miles from my house. When I need a cheap tool that I don't expect a lot of use from or that won't make me any money, I buy it there. As I said earlier I have no problem making minor modifications if the need arises in many cases. Despite my best efforts I don't do auto repair professionally (joined the Navy to save money to open a garage. Haven't gotten around to getting out yet) but I consider learning and honing these skills to be worth the minor expense in time and effort.

@Larry- start to finish with changing the tire stems to TPMS I spent about 2 hours

@Showkey- I use ceramic balancing beads. I fell in love with them a decade ago when I was making deliveries for the auto parts store back home. They work great and last forever. They're definitely not cheaper though!

AndrewDouglasBird

Man, you guys pay a lot for mounting/balancing. You can get 4 tires mounted and balanced around here for $40 including new valve stems. I've got a friend that owns a tire shop that does it for me for $5 a tire/wheel.

What did you do about balancing OP?

f575gtc

I have it and use it to change the tires on my autocross miata since I play around with so many tires, I also have their wheel balancer which works fine.

It has easily saved me over $400 worth of tire changing/tire balancing.

Walmart is the cheapest around here and it comes out to $65 for a mount and balance.

I wrap the breaker bar tip in tape and I have never scratched a wheel.

CalsXS2

If you can stand to watch them, here's a 4 part series I did on a first time user point of view. Yes I struggled,,,,,lol.

But now I chance my Goldwing tires like they are nothing.

mikegt4

I got my tire changer 32 years ago. He cost me a lot over the first 20 years but he is making up for it now. I just give him my wheels and tires and pick them up mounted and balanced at the end of the day. My tire changer also does body work for free.
The only problem is that if he stops working I can't warranty him.

CutterFarms

I bought the hf tire changer to work on farm equipment when local tire stores are closed. WalMart will not mount used tires. I'll admit the first few didn't go near as fast as I would have liked, but now I never take a tire to town unless it is for a vehicle. I have even done 12x16.5 Bobcat tires on it. It usually helps to turn the tire a couple times when breaking the bead instead of only trying one spot. After some practice its amazing how easy it is and can be done in shorter time than I can drive to town and then I'd still have to wait for someone else to do it. I mounted mine to the heaviest skid I had and can take to different barns at different farms and be back to work in no time.

outlawz2004

I have had mine for several years now, and has saved me a ton of money on trailer tires and old vehicle tire swaps. It has easily paid for itself. I have had a few neighbors come over for a quick tire swap on occasion as well. I actually like the bar that came with mine, but I do have two spoon tire tools as well. Of course do not use this machine on a set of good wheels. I have done it, using pads and rags for protection, but it can easily damage the lip of a nice wheel.

ineedtools

Almost every day there is a new thread about some Harbor Freight tool that someone has bought that was just a POS.
Why do people keep buying that crap? Is it just that bottom feeder mentality? :bitchslap

And almost everyday someone posts something on a thread that has no added value whatsoever, go figure.

McLean

Hotdogstand, thanks for the review/write-up. I too have debated getting something along these lines for some the same reasons. I have changed many a tire with the farm jack and a couple tire spoons, but everytime I get done I swear I'll never do it again...til next time...

I dont have the space for one of these machines and have been researching the slide hammer bead breaker type tool and tire spoon method. Anyone have any experience with these?
145554_700x700.jpg

AnEv942

I modified mine to use on aluminum jeep wheels, nobody will touch them (tires) because of age. Instead of the spider ring, tapped the plate, used some all thread with 2nuts locked, washers fit in the wheel hole so pressure is against the flat bottom.
tirem1.jpg
No production work but gets the job done. Hardest part was base not fixed, holding machine from spinning. But the al wheels, it was just spinning them off, I was amazed. Had a steel spare so robbed matching wheel from trailer. The steel spare almost ate the machine, tire all but vulcanized.
Dismounted 6 tires, clean & paint the aluminum wheels. Remounted tires. Would have been 2 trips to store (if they would have worked on them).
tirem8.jpg

Made an adapter to work on scooter wheel, tapping top of machine and use a 1/2" bolt, pvc sch 80 as spacer.
IMG_0601.JPG

Cant say fun but compared to working on the ground, having something hold tire off the ground-nice.
IMG_0600.JPG
Just a matter of convenience having the ability. Just had tires put on truck. No way was I going to do it-my limit

OP
H

hotdogstand

I got my tire changer 32 years ago. He cost me a lot over the first 20 years but he is making up for it now. I just give him my wheels and tires and pick them up mounted and balanced at the end of the day. My tire changer also does body work for free.
The only problem is that if he stops working I can't warranty him.

My "tire changers" aren't fully out of diapers yet, so I'm sure I'll be changing my own tires for some years to come. :)

zeke67

I bought the HF changer about 15 years ago. I have done more than enough tire changes to pay for it twice. I won't do aluminum wheels (that I care about) on it. My 64 Chevelle with 65k miles with original steelies is always sitting on used tires, so it's great for that. I've also flipped wheels / tires that aren't worth much more than what it would cost to have a shop mount them. I've also mounted older tires that shop won't mount, for junk yard run or just to have storage beater wheels. It has not replaced tire replacement on the daily drivers or the cars with alloy wheels. But what I've spend on that in the same period makes me want to buy a used / closeout rim mount machine. Probably will take the rest of my life to pay for it in fees -- but maybe not with all the standing around.

bulletpruf

Picked up one of these yesterday from Northern Tool, brand name is Strongway. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200673912_200673912

It was $100, and I think it's the same one that HF sells for $50 or so. Only bought it because all of the HF's in town were out of stock and I needed one this weekend.

Plan to mount it to the garage floor this weekend. Once done, I'll dismount and store on a shelf. Should pay for itself today.

ndnchf

I made a receiver hitch mount for mine. Its plenty solid and works well for changing tires on my jeep or other small tires. I also beefed up the bead breaker.

Attachments

• TC1.jpg
    TC1.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 44
  • NDT mtd.jpg
    NDT mtd.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 37
  • TC2.jpg
    TC2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 42

m6z

Yeah, few places will mount used tires, so I can see the pro's of having one of these in the garage. it's even more relevant today with Walmart and Sam's Club tire and lube closed "due to the pandemic".

It's certainly not easy work though.

Noworries

Banned

Bottom feeder mentality followed by a bitchslap, the fuck is wrong with you??

Fluelikesymptoms

I've always taken my tires to a used tire shop for mount and balance, they only charge about 15-20 dollars a tire. I havnt looked at getting one from hf as I'd prefer my space to go to other things. I would imagine it would suck changing tires on a machine that didn't rotate for you etc and then spending even more money on balancing the tire itself.

I'd say forget it, go to a used shop tell em to slap this tire on for you and clean and seal the bead. Toss em a 20 and the finger and enjoy the time you saved doing something you actually like.

SeisMec

After buying the HF changer - on a whim - mods to beef it up were necessary.

Theoldwizard gave a link to a video comparing the HF changer to one sold by Northern Tool and bulletpruf opined
Picked up one of these yesterday from Northern Tool, brand name is Strongway. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200673912_200673912

It was $100, and I think it's the same one that HF sells for $50 or so. Only bought it because all of the HF's in town were out of stock and I needed one this weekend.

Plan to mount it to the garage floor this weekend. Once done, I'll dismount and store on a shelf. Should pay for itself today.

The Northern Tool changer (37 lbs) weighs about 1/2 again as much as the HF (26 lbs) changer and appears to have a larger mounting plate and foot print than the HF changer. I suspect the mods would have been unnecessary on Northern's version.

FWIW the Northern changer is currently on sale for $49. Don't know how much shipping charges are.

bulletpruf

I've always taken my tires to a used tire shop for mount and balance, they only charge about 15-20 dollars a tire. I havnt looked at getting one from hf as I'd prefer my space to go to other things. I would imagine it would suck changing tires on a machine that didn't rotate for you etc and then spending even more money on balancing the tire itself.

I'd say forget it, go to a used shop tell em to slap this tire on for you and clean and seal the bead. Toss em a 20 and the finger and enjoy the time you saved doing something you actually like.

$20 a tire adds up when you're doing 4 at a time...

I installed some 1/2" Redhead drop in concrete anchors so it's solidly secured and removes in about 30 seconds. When I'm done using it, I'll put it on shelf until I need it again. FYI - had to hog out the mounting holes a bit; they were designed for 3/8" or something like that.

Gotta say that it hasn't been super easy to use. The bead breaker worked well, but getting tires off wheels was a chore; so was re-installing. Maybe because these are larger tires with stiff sidewalls.

Last edited:

dusterdude

Figures,not one northern near me has the damn thing

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

seber

I'll use my HF changer (yes I bought a better bar) for motorcycles, trailers and lawn mower tires. Most places want $80-120 for mounting a MC tire and they only last about 10k miles. A lot of shops won't mess with trailer or lawn mower tires.
So far it has worked well. I haven't broken anything on it.
It's bolted to a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" plywood.

Mounting Car and truck tires is usually cheap enough that I don't mind paying to have it done.

I've changed MC tires on the side of the road with the small irons that come with BMWs. It's a five minute job. How do they justify that kind of price? I also change all my own tires with just tire irons. ATV and lawnmower tires are a serious pain. The bigger the tire the easier it is.

Firebrick43

ALLIANCE MEMBER
Is there anything better than a hf tire changer but not the cost of a coats? I bought the hf changer in 2008 ish and bought a mojo lever/blocks for changing motorcycle tires. It worked alright but the mojo blocks didn’t last long.

The changer is one of the few thing I have bought from HF and in changing old wagon tire well adhered I twisted the frame. The bead breaker works barely as well. I would love a coats but don’t use one enough to justify.

dusterdude

I've changed MC tires on the side of the road with the small irons that come with BMWs. It's a five minute job. How do they justify that kind of price? I also change all my own tires with just tire irons. ATV and lawnmower tires are a serious pain. The bigger the tire the easier it is.
5 minutes?please school me

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom