Briggs and Stratton Brute 19" push mower

painterman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My new mower starts out running good but after 15 or 20 minutes it just dies, like it is out fuel, but it isn't. What could cause that. after it sits for a while it will start again. The gas is good.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it happens check for spark. Sounds like your coil may be shorting out or opening up due to heat. If no spark, replace the coil.

painterman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Next time it happens check for spark. Sounds like your coil may be shorting out or opening up due to heat. If no spark, replace the coil.

Thanks Rivets. That sure makes sense. I will check the coil first thing.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
My new mower starts out running good but after 15 or 20 minutes it just dies, like it is out fuel, but it isn't. What could cause that. after it sits for a while it will start again. The gas is good.

I am guessing that this is an oldie, post the engine's Model, type, code numbers so we can give some decent advice,
Thanks,
Fish

painterman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am guessing that this is an oldie, post the engine's Model, type, code numbers so we can give some decent advice,
Thanks,
Fish

Brand new mower. 1 month old. Briggs and Stratton Brute 19" push mower 5.5hp. Model 881403, BT19550FC. I called Briggs and Stratton customer service but they are not techs and can't advise any further than read the manual. It is still under warranty so if I can't solve this I'll take it to an authorized Briggs and Stratton repair shop. Mower stalls after 10 or 15 minutes use. It will start right after stalling but misses and backfires, with white smoke. After sitting for a half hour it will start up normal and run again for 10 or 15 minutes and repeat the pattern all over again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Brand new mower. 1 month old. Briggs and Stratton Brute 19" push mower 5.5hp. Model 881403, BT19550FC. I called Briggs and Stratton customer service but they are not techs and can't advise any further than read the manual. It is still under warranty so if I can't solve this I'll take it to an authorized Briggs and Stratton repair shop. Mower stalls after 10 or 15 minutes use. It will start right after stalling but misses and backfires, with white smoke. After sitting for a half hour it will start up normal and run again for 10 or 15 minutes and repeat the pattern all over again.

I ran your numbers, it is "new" Murray, but it does not show the engine at all....

Parts and Diagrams for Murray 881403 - BT19550FC, 19" 5.5GT Brute Walk Behind Mower (2011)

You likely have one of the newer "junk" Chinese engines, but I don't know..........

Find and post some of the numbers off of the engine, Thanks....

Fish

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads

This is probably the 550seriec ECO engine.

I would suggest you check the simplest things first. It could be as simple as a faulty or incorrect spark plug or a vapor lock in the fuel tank. The ECO engines have a reduced evaporative fuel tank cap so check it is still venting.

If it isn't as simple at than then dig a little deeper.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads

I would suggest you check the simplest things first. It could be as simple as a faulty or incorrect spark plug or a vapor lock in the fuel tank. The ECO engines have a reduced evaporative fuel tank cap so check it is still venting.

Yeah, I have been out of the game for 6 years or so, so this newer stuff I haven't seen. I go to the Expo in Louisville every year, but all you talk
with there is salesmen/women.

BiII

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same mower and the same problem were you able to resolve the issues you reported here a while back? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

BiII

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have a 550 ECO engine that stalls after warm ... I have drilled a hole in the gas cap as I noticed the primer bulb sucks in over time. The mower stalls when run with no fuel cap or air cleaner just sitting still .. I agree with your comments but don't know how to resolve a vapor lock issue. If you have further suggestions please send them on and Thanks!