Filled tires on Zero Turn

/ Filled tires on Zero Turn #1  

firefighter9208

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota M4800
Anyone filled the tires on their zero turn?

On the old John Deere that I had I could shift my big butt over on the fender if needed. On my new 223 Grasshopper I find myself spinning in some places. Of course the grass is usually wet and I'm probably trying to cut areas that I should be weed eating.

My dealer told me he would fill them if I want, but I haven't decided yet. I thought I would see what everyone here says.

Chris

/ Filled tires on Zero Turn #2  
You have to be careful when filling the tires on ZTR's.

there are several formulations of the "fill" material, if you get one that is too dense, you will lose the shock absorbtion that the tires give you (and on my Gravely, that led too bent front forks, and cracked frames)

If you are saying fill with CC or WW fluid etc. like a tractor, for added weight, I would not consider it.

J-thomas has some already filled tires available for many mowers. We have debated those, but so far, tubeless tires are on the front of both my exmarks, and tubes are on the front of the dixon. All rears are tubeless.

/ Filled tires on Zero Turn #3  
Anyone filled the tires on their zero turn?

On the old John Deere that I had I could shift my big butt over on the fender if needed. On my new 223 Grasshopper I find myself spinning in some places. Of course the grass is usually wet and I'm probably trying to cut areas that I should be weed eating.

My dealer told me he would fill them if I want, but I haven't decided yet. I thought I would see what everyone here says.

Chris

A short story.

I rode a Zero turn Dixie Chopper down a 30 ft wet hill in full reverse. It slid all the way to the bottom, and then dropped off a 4 ft wall. I dove out out of the seat at the last moment. I still hurt myself, but not as much as staying with the machine. After that, I cut with a walk behind. A ROPS would help, but do not wear a seat belt cutting around water. I had 50 extra lbs on the front to help me from tipping over backward. I would make all turns up hill.

Don't know if the filled tires would help. Let me know if it gives you good results.

/ Filled tires on Zero Turn #4  
I used wheel weights on the rear tires of my ZTR and it improved traction. I would think that using calcium cloride (heavier) or antifreeze to fill the tires would provide similar weight and help.

Using fluid (or weights) allows control of tire firmness because the tire is not entirely filled so pressure is controlled with air.

I would be reluctant to try foam filled tires on a ZTR because the ride would likely be very harsh.

/ Filled tires on Zero Turn
Ok, I wasn't talking about foam. Wouldn't even consider it. I was talking about Calcium Chloride and water. Not for stability, but for traction. The dealer that sold me my Grasshopper tried to get me to go with Tractor type tires on the back, but I didn't want those for fear of tearing up the yard.

What I have now works fine for 95% of the cutting that I do. The other 5% I do could use more traction. If I make sure I don't cut too late in the day (before the dew falls) I really don't have any problems with these areas either.

BTW, I was not talking about filling the fronts, only the rears.

Chris

I used wheel weights on the rear tires of my ZTR and it improved traction. I would think that using calcium cloride (heavier) or antifreeze to fill the tires would provide similar weight and help.

Using fluid (or weights) allows control of tire firmness because the tire is not entirely filled so pressure is controlled with air.

I would be reluctant to try foam filled tires on a ZTR because the ride would likely be very harsh.

Bob,

Where did you get the wheel weights. What brand of mower. I didn't see them listed as an option on Grasshopper's website.

The only issue that I was worried about with CaCl is that the tires are tubeless and I didn't know if I would have a problem with leakage.

Chirs

/ Filled tires on Zero Turn #7  
I used weights on the rear wheels on a Toro Z 62" mower. I purchased them at a lawn and garden dealer--they were not a Toro brand item but fit the wheels on the Toro.

In my opinion you don't want to use calcium cloride without a tube--but tubeless tires can be tubed and I strongly recommend installing tubes if you go with calcium cloride. Even with a tube corrosion from minor leakage at the valve stem is a problem over time.

/ Filled tires on Zero Turn #8  
I would think the problems with CC would far outweigh any benefit.

I would strive to cut that 5% when dry.

Alan,

Actually my dealer uses Methanol instead of Calcium cloride. I have had it in my tires on my Kubota M4800 for almost 5 years with no ill effects. What's your opion on loading with water and Methanol.

Chris

/ Filled tires on Zero Turn #10  
For me, and the situations we find ourselves in, I would not load it with anything. (and we don't do ours) BUT

We are probably in a different situation than you in that we are always cutting someone else's area, and doing it during normal work hours (lawncare / landscaping business)

The problems I would have with filled tires as you describe would be that I would have some liability issues if I spewed that material (beet juice, alcohol, nasty water whatever) on a customers yard.

Filled tires are a flat out bugger to repair (and we do it a lot) 5 plugs last week.

and I guess in the end, I just don't see it being that much benefit.

Before I did it, I would try and guess at the weight that it would add. Lets guess and say 9 lbs per gallon, then guess at your tire volume, and how full you are going to fill them, lets say, 20 lbs per tire, for 40 lbs total.

If it was me, I would tie (as in with rope or something simple) 40 lbs of weight on the back of my machine and go mow in the situation where you feel you need the traction and see if it makes a difference.

I don't see it, but, have not tried it so maybe it would be substantial and worth the problems / cost / issues. But it shoudl be easy to tie on a small bag of concrete, or a couple old weight set weights, or some cinder blocks etc. etc. to simulate and see if it makes that 5% easy.

I hope it works for you.