Adjusting the disc tip on a tiller
It is not difficult to make a disc coulter for a power tiller with your own hands. This is a multifunctional device that helps change the condition of the ground, make furrows and form ridges while tilling potatoes or other vegetable crops.
A single axle tractor or cultivator can make planting and caring for potatoes easier. They are indispensable for work in the garden or orchard. An indispensable part of a power tiller is a plow. It can be a rotary or a disc. An additional attachment to the technique is an oscillator, which can be of several types.
There’s no way to tell at a glance which buttstock is best. There are many factors influencing the choice of the riders, including the characteristics of the soil, the size of the land plot, not the least role is played by the financial part of the issue. Therefore, to make the right choice, it is necessary to get acquainted with the description of the most common riders for power tillers:
- Hillers that do not involve self-adjusting the width between the metal wings. The furrow for all crops will be the same distance, which is not very convenient. These types of designs are easy to use for tillers weighing no more than 30 kg. In addition, the tines of the device are thin and are not suitable for hard tillage.
- Equipment that involves changing the width between the wings, so the distance between the furrows can be made different. You can also use two machines on one linkage at the same time. Recommended for tractors weighing more than 30 kg.
- The most popular type is the single-row planter. Designed to work in light soils preceded by a cultivator. If a single-row plow is used, the tines are mounted close together. This is necessary because the mowing is done in one row at a time. There is a more modern two-row rocker arm for the power tiller.
- Another tool for dipping vegetable crops is the Dutch spudger. It allows you to adjust the wings not only horizontally, but also vertically.
- Active (rotary) propeller kinds of planters are easy to use. It has a completely different operating principle. The rotary planter has rotors with parallel teeth instead of wheels. The device can be installed on a single-axle tractor and cultivator with two forward gears. Propellers mounted on the crossbar are convenient for shredding and loosening the soil, removing root weeds, and dipping plants.
- According to the reviews of the owners of power tillers with an additional device, the best one is considered a disc tip on a single-axle tractor. It consists of a T-shaped lever, screw adjusters, two tines and two discs. Working elements do not look like wings, but like discs. Not only the width can be changed, but also the inclination angle. The result is ridges of any desired height and width on the plot.
Before you start working on your plot of land, you need to learn about the settings of the selected attachment. Improper use or installation of the equipment can lead to crop loss and other unfavorable results.
The preparatory stage is the cultivation of the desired area, it is better to loosen the soil. At the same time you can apply organic or mineral fertilizers. The looser the soil, the easier it will be to make furrows.
Before planting potatoes with a power tiller, you need to set the marks at a distance of about 65 cm. Then a power tiller with an arrow makes furrows and spreads the planting material. After that, change the wheels to rubberized ones, and the wings of the potato planter to the motoblock are put to the maximum width. Set the single axle tractor in the row spacing and plow along the furrow, burying the planted potatoes.
We would like to start with the process of making a disc mower, because this type of device is the most popular today.
By setting the discs to different diameters, you can make potato bushes of different lengths.
A disc-shaped planter
Many people wonder. how to make an arrow for the tiller with his hands? At home it is quite realistic if you follow certain recommendations. So, let’s describe the manufacturing process step by step (for example, let’s take the disk ouchek for the Neva motoblock):
- For manufacturing we need cutters from an old planter, or metal sheets 2 mm thick. They are attached by means of bearings with seals.
- Picture them at an angle to each other. The distance between the lower parts of the discs should be in line with the track width of the power tiller. They are connected by welding, or with usual bolts.
- Here, it is imperative that the discs are symmetrically aligned to one another. Otherwise, a single-axle tractor with an earplug will be pulled to the side, which will make the whole process very difficult.
- In addition to the discs, the rear hoe is fitted with screwed turnbuckles, a T-handle and a stand. The turnbuckles, in this case, perform the adjustment function of turning the discs along the vertical axis.
- A tiller for a power tiller with your own hands, the drawings and photos of which you see below, should be made in strict accordance with the dimensions. Improvisation is possible, but if you are making it for the first time, it’s better to use someone else’s know-how.
- Depending on conditions, fixed and adjustable arm width is possible. The second method is more convenient, because you can change the distance between the disks by simply rearranging the legs.
- To aggregate the rocker arm with the tiller you need to use the hitch bracket that does not have a ridge. The arm rest is attached to the hitch with a stopper, connected with bolts and washers. The stopper itself is inserted inside the square tube, and then tightened.
The same method is used for making the disk mower for power tiller Salyut, because the design and method of connection to the tiller is completely identical with the Neva.
Active share bar
In order to make this kind of rocker we will need exactly the same list of materials and tools that we used in making the disc rocker:
Using similar toolkit, you can make an active planter for a power tiller of MTZ, LANDER, Champion, Carver, Husqvarna, Lifan. The manufacturing principle is largely similar to the disc version:
- The axles also need to be adjusted to the parameters of the power tiller, and the parts are welded with a welder.
- As already reported earlier, this kind of oucher imposes certain requirements on the power tiller. It should have two front gears, and PTO. power takeoff shaft. Many salespeople of power tillers, when they say that a power tiller has two gears, they mean one reverse and one forward.
- So you need to be more specific about this when buying.
- It will be advisable to make several bushes with brackets, as well as additional blades of metal.
The double-row tiller is the same kind of lister but in a double volume. Let’s consider the whole process of work step by step:
- For our work we need a sheet of metal about 3mm thick. From this material it is necessary to weld the base of the ocular.
- As a bracket you can use a 4 mm steel strip. The field board is made of 5 mm thick steel sheet.
- The buttstock is the main load bearing element. So, you need to make sure that it is the most stable and reliable in comparison to the other parts of the fieldplanter.
- The winglets can be made from 2 mm thick steel. It has to be bent a little, using a tube of the right diameter.
Basically, this is the end of the process of making a twin-row planter. There is also an adjustable wing system that can be hinged to the base. The tail of the design features booms that adjust the angle of the wings.
Otherwise, the basic principle is identical to that of the fixed lister version.
The models of the rocker arm
A lister style tiller
This is thought to be the simplest piece of equipment. It has a fixed working width.
Consists of two attached, branched and locked together wings. Because the wings are fixed, it is not possible to set the working width by adjusting the tool to the row spacing. This is the reason why you have to adjust the row spacing to the size of the tool and not the other way around when using it.
Basically, all the manufacturers make models with a working width of 25-30 cm. This is not very convenient, because the potato cultivation and planting technology has a row spacing of 60 cm.
This design has special stands with a thin design that prevents overloading the power tiller while ripping deep layers of hard soils.
There are devices that have a streamlined design. This is the most convenient, because these models can be adjusted to any row spacing.
With variable width
This attachment is considered the most convenient because it has an adjustment mechanism that allows for quick changes in the position of the wings. Thanks to this feature, it can easily be adjusted to any seedbed size. But they have a real disadvantage: they are very difficult to work with. This is due to the fact that when ripping, the wings of the device move the soil in different directions, a small amount of which is poured back into the furrow.
their arms and back begin to get tired, and a great deal of the motor power is wasted. But still, despite these disadvantages, these models are popular and in great demand among many landowners.
The disc version
This type of tool has the following advantages:
combines perfectly with a power tiller. If you use the disc mower on the reduced speed of the tiller, the power of the tool becomes even greater. Due to this, the efficiency of digging up the soil increases, and also has a favorable effect on the working process of the tool;
convenient usage. When ripping or digging with this tool, you don’t have to exert a lot of force. It pushes itself forward and there is no need for extra support from behind;
universal applicability. This tool can be used for loosening the soil, both before planting the potatoes (Read how to make a manual potato perch in this article) and after planting during active cultivation for additional loosening.
Interesting: The disc coulter is as important as the plough and the winch. Thanks to this tool it is easy to make seedbeds for planting and it can also be used for planting seedlings like potatoes.
If you choose from the models offered in stores, it is best to choose the riders, made of metal of alloy type, whose design has rolling bearings, large diameter size and thickness of disc elements.
The whole principle of operation is the work of the propeller elements. They are used to dig out and clean weeds first and then loosen the single row beds. These models are mainly used for front-drive power tillers (Read about the varieties of cultivators here) and power tillers with two gears. This is because the second gear increases the power level to 180 rpm.
When the power level reaches the maximum, this tool can be used not only for dipping the soil, but also for throwing soil from bed to bed.
From this article you will learn that it is better to use a single-axle tractor or cultivator. Read here what you need to know about the wood chipper.
How to hoe with a single-row ploughshare
To work with a single-row hoe, it is desirable that you have grousers, which, when installed on a single-axle tractor or cultivator, have as little distance between their outer edges as possible. This is because when hoeing potatoes with a power tiller or power tiller with a single row hoe, both tines will run between the rows. Therefore, if this distance is too long, you will have to plant the rows of potatoes in such a way that these soil tines can pass between them, which will reduce the number of rows on the plot. In addition, you will have to hoe with a fairly wide hoe. Thus, based on the above, it turns out that the rows of potatoes need to be planted at such a distance that a single-axle tractor or tiller can pass between them on the tines you have.
So, after setting the tines and the ridging tool, just like with the other ridging tool, we put it in the ground to the required depth and set it so that its axis is perpendicular to the ground. Well, then begin to okulyuchivat, driving a tractor or cultivator on a single-axle tractor on row-spacing.
I would like to begin by considering the process of making a disc rocker, because this type of device is the most popular today.
In addition, the use of this type of mower allows you to synchronize it with the capabilities of your power tiller, i.e.е. Adjust the power and speed.
By setting the discs to different diameters, you can mow potatoes of different lengths.
Many people wonder how to make an arrow for a power tiller with their own hands? At home, it is quite realistic if you follow certain recommendations. So, let’s describe the manufacturing process step by step (for example, let’s take the disc coulter for the Neva power tiller):
- For the manufacture we will need cutters from the old planter, or metal sheets 2 mm thick. They are attached by means of bearings with seals.
- Place them at an angle to each other. The distance between the lower parts of the disks must correspond to the track width of the power tiller. They are connected by welding, or with the usual bolts.
- Here it is necessary to follow the strict recommendation that the discs should be symmetrical to each other. Otherwise, a single-axle tractor with an arrow will skid to the side, making the entire work process much more difficult.
- In addition to the discs themselves, the design includes a screwed turnbuckle, T-type lever and stands. The turnbuckle, in this case, performs the adjusting function of turning the discs along the vertical axis.
- The tiller for the tiller with his hands, the drawings and photos of which you see below, should be made in strict accordance with the dimensions. Of course, it can be improvised, but if you are a first-time assembleer, it is better to use someone else’s know-how.
- Depending on the possibilities, it is possible to make a fixed and adjustable working width. The second method is more convenient, because you can change the spacing between the discs by simply rearranging the racks.
- To aggregate the rocker arm with the tiller, use the hitch bracket, which does not have a ridge. The arm rest is attached to the hitch with a stopper, connected with bolts and washers. The stopper itself is inserted into the square tube and then tightened.
The same way is with the disc coupler for the Salyut power tiller, because the design and method of connection to the engine block is completely identical to the Neva.
To make this kind of rocker arm, we will need exactly the same list of materials and tools that we used to make the disc rocker arm:
Using similar toolkit it is possible to make an active planter for a power tiller of MTZ, LANDER, Champion, Carver, Husqvarna, Lifan. The manufacturing principle is much the same as the disc version:
making a arrow head (broadhead)
- The axles also need to be adjusted to the parameters of the power tiller, and the parts themselves are welded with a welding machine.
- As previously reported, this kind of headstock has certain requirements for a power tiller. It must have two front gears, as well as a PTO. PTO. Many salespeople of power tillers, when they say that a power tiller has two gears, they mean one reverse and one forward gear.
- So you need to clarify this point when buying.
- It will be advisable to make several bushes with brackets, as well as additional blades of metal.
Double Row Rider
The double-row spud is the same as the lister spud, but in a double volume. Let’s look at the whole process of work step by step:
- For the work we need a sheet of metal about 3 mm thick. This material should be used to weld the base of the rear hoe.
- You can use a 4 mm steel strip as a mounting bracket. The field board is made from a sheet of steel 5 mm thick.
- The buttstock takes the brunt of the work. So you need to ensure that it is the most stable and secure of all the other parts of the toolbar.
- The winglets can be made from 2mm thick steel. They need to bend a little, using a pipe of the right diameter.
Basically, this is the end of the process of making a twin-row planter. It is still possible to make an adjustable system of wings of the oculator, which are attached to the base by hinge technology. In the tail of the design, there are bars that regulate the angle of the wings.
Otherwise, the manufacturing principle is fully identical to that of the fixed lister version.
Why do you need an arrow for your power tiller??
This element is used for planting and caring for the vegetables. It works quite simply: after installing the addition and starting the power tiller, the part tows the machine over the cultivated area with planted seeds, thereby covering the future vegetation with the necessary layer of moist and slightly loose soil
Such an operation is of considerable importance, because it allows you to protect the seeds from the negative atmospheric influence, increase the level of oxygen saturation, stimulate growth
Experts note that mowing with a power tiller also helps to rid the soil of excess moisture to prevent rotting. After treatment, the sunlight penetrates the soil much better, and some harmful insects are on the surface, where they are “cleaned” by birds. Some weeds are also destroyed, so the elementary treatment can safely be considered a partial replacement for the use of herbicides
It is important to note that the most commonly used perch for the treatment of potato plants
Read also: Cutting depth of an angle grinder 150
Hiller for the tiller with his hands
To make a homemade tiller for a power tiller is not so difficult. It will consist of such basic units as 2 disks, 2 stands, 2 screw-adjusting turnbuckles, a T-shaped bar for fixing the structure.
Before you begin, prepare the necessary blanks:
- metal sheets for making discs (or ready-made discs);
- A square piece of metal for making the bar;
- parts for making of adjustment rams.
The picture below shows how the adjustment of the vertical axes of the rocker arm will be done with a turnbuckle. Letter “B” denotes adjustment screws, letter “C”. stands:
If you have the necessary blanks, it is necessary to produce the rocker arm according to the drawings below. Don’t forget to stick to these dimensions to get a quality product.
To attach to the motobloc the ocular will be a bracket, the leash in turn is attached to the bracket with bolts with a stopper.
power tiller valve adjustment | power tiller | transmission
We also suggest reading the video, which tells about the subtleties of making a homemade rocker arm for a power tiller:
Such an okra will be compatible with such models of power tillers as Neva MB-1, MB-2, Agro, MTZ, etc. д.
Correct use of the rear tip
To attach the tool to the tiller, there is a special hitch. After the clutch, special bolts are used, with which you can adjust the depth of cultivation and the width of the rocker. The soil to be worked must be carefully considered. The working depth can be adjusted by changing the angle of the tool body. If necessary, the angle can be adjusted during work. We recommend the use of the tire packer wheels for extra traction, because they give the implement an even better all-round passability.
To use the machine properly, you need to know how to adjust the tiller on your power tiller. The above recommendations will help you to do it!
Potato tillers for your power tiller
Let’s put the wheels on the cultivator, set the maximum working width and let the single-axle tractor between the seedbeds on the first pass.
Since the distance between the rows and both hoes is the same, the wheels will run exactly along the rows at the bottom of the furrows without touching the potato stems, and the hoe will evenly push the soil down to the base of the stems.
this way we dip the whole vegetable garden. If you only have a single row perch, then you need to mount wheels with rubber tires on a single axle tractor and let it go between the rows.
A width of 70 cm is enough to avoid damaging the potato bushes. It is important to note that potato mowing with a power tiller should be done after rain, when the soil is slightly dried up, but still wet. the potatoes will get more air, the weeds will be destroyed, and the soil will get closer to the tubers.