Why does the chain come off
Many, even the most experienced users of chainsaws, have encountered in their life a situation where the chain jumped off the guide bar during operation. The most common prerequisite is insufficient chain tension or wear.
In 80% of cases, the stretched chain links slip from the teeth of the drive sprocket, and it flies out from the guide under the action of centrifugal force. Although sometimes the problem appears due to an incorrect position of the sprocket on the axis of rotation or a loose fixed saw bar on the chainsaw.
2 thoughts on “Tensioning a Sagging Saw Chain
I read your article. very interesting! Thanks!
However, I refrained from commenting on your postscript: take a look at the calendar for 2020. August will be just from 5 Monday, Saturday and Sunday)))
Very grateful for the kind words.
On account of the calendar 2020. someone sent me this information by e-mail.
Major bus failures:
- Deformation or damage to the tire body;
- Erasure of teeth or complete breakage of the driven sprocket;
- Wear of the seat and shank;
- Critical damage to the oil supply channels;
- Breakage or complete wear of the tensioner;
Features of chain tension adjustment
During the operation of the electric saw, it is necessary to carefully monitor the degree of tension of its chain. The easiest way is to pull the chain tooth upwards (the top of the bar is selected for testing, approximately in the center). The normal tension level allows 1/3 of the sharp ones to remain inside the seat during tension (provided that the chain rotates freely by hand).
To adjust the chain tension in different models of the Makita saw, tensioners in the form of a screw or wing nut can be used:
- In the first case, you will need a screwdriver to tighten the tension screw: it is allowed to rotate with the side nuts relaxed. In the course of increasing the tension, it is necessary to turn the chain forward to eliminate the hinge play and check the smoothness of its gait.
- On tools with “fast tension”, the sprocket guard is secured with a wing nut. There is a special wheel under the cover: to tighten the chain, turn it to the right, to loosen it. to the left. This type of tensioner is more convenient, as it makes it possible to carry out the adjustment directly in the course of work.
It is not necessary to go to a service center to replace the chain with a saw or to adjust its tension. These manipulations can be carried out independently, following the above recommendations.
Tips: how to quickly pull the chain onto the saw
A mobile device for cutting wood is an indispensable attribute of almost any summer cottage or private house. Saws are especially popular in this regard, making it possible to work both outdoors and indoors. In order for the tool to work efficiently and properly, from time to time it will be necessary to tighten or change its chain.
Step-by-step installation algorithm
Not all modern chainsaws are equipped with a setting wheel, which greatly simplifies the procedure for installing the saw blade. Systems with a setting wheel are generally a rarity among household chainsaws. Therefore, it is very important to know the technology and sequence of installing the chain on the chainsaw.
Key points to note:
- Prepare a level surface on which you will assemble the chain and bar. This will minimize the chance of damage to the chainsaw or loss of small parts. A tire is laid out on the prepared surface and a parallel chain next to it.
- Remove the sprocket protection, on modern chainsaws it is enough Unscrew the wing nut, on older models, you may need an appropriate size spanner.
- In the base of the guide bar, the idler sprocket Turn all the way to the right. Only in this position is the chain installed.
- Then the chain is successively placed, link by link, on the fixing groove on the guide rail. We install the chain from the top of the guide, gradually turn it so that the tire is always on top and the chain is on the bottom, this will allow it to always be taut and fit into the guide groove without problems. Be sure to wear thick protective gloves when performing this step, as your fingers will touch the cutting edge. Viewed from above, the cutter is always forward towards the end of the guide bar.
- Put both the tire and the chain on the drive sprocket.
- Secure the chain sprocket cover in place. Make sure all mounting pins line up with the holes. Incorrect installation with distortions or incompletely may be a prerequisite for extraneous noise, rattling.
- Make sure that the guides “go” into the special mounting chute.
- After installation, check that the chain is secure on the chainsaw and on the bar. Everything must be securely fastened without backlash.
An important point is the degree of tension on the chain after installation. Setting the correct tension is very easy and will take no pain in three minutes. First you need to loosen the nuts on the protective cover. Using the freely rotating adjusting screw, catch the correct tension so that the chain does NOT pull more than 3-5 mm from the edge of the guide bar.
It remains only to tighten the nuts and check the tension. If correction is needed, adjust the tension again.
What is important to know: when the chain is in operation, due to the forces of friction, its metal heats up and expands, and the length increases. Therefore, it is important to regularly check the tension and correct it in time.
How to install the bar and chain on the chainsaw, see the following. Which presents a clear algorithm of actions:
How to properly install the chain on the saw
The procedure for installing a new chain has some peculiarities, depending on the type of tension on a particular tool.
On tools with lateral tension, proceed as follows:
- Release the brake. This is achieved by pulling the protective strip over until it clicks.
- Loosen the tension. To do this, you need to return the tension screw with a screwdriver, after which the clamping nut will begin to rotate freely.
- Raise the cover, under which the saw elements are located. To remove the chain, it must be removed from the sprocket guides (at the same time, the guide bar is dismantled). If this fails, you need to loosen the tensioning screw even more.
- It is more convenient to start the installation of new components from the top of the tire. It is put on over the sprocket, after which the tire can be inserted back, focusing on the guides.
- A tension screw is used to tighten the chain: it should sag slightly.
- The final clamping of the nut is carried out after replacing the protective cover.
The sequence of installing a new chain on tools with “fast tension”:
- The first step is to remove dust from the brake.
- Open the nut handle until it locks.
- The purpose of the wing nut in such designs is not only to fix the shield, but also to clamp the guide rail. You need to rotate the nut counterclockwise.
- After removing the protective casing from the sprocket, you need to move the tire in the opposite direction. This will allow you to dismantle the old chain. The driven sprocket is freed from it first.
- When refueling a new product, they also start with an asterisk. At this stage, it is important to understand the direction of installation: at the bottom of the tire, its cutting edge should “look” into the tool body.
- Tension is set by adjusting the guide.
- After installing the sprocket cover, the fastening nut must be tightened, but not the clips.
- The wing nut is screwed in by hand at the very end of the procedure, following the tension wheel.
Firewood chopping process.
- I put the block on a log.
- Swinging and accelerating, I lower the ax in the center of the block.
- I beat to how the workpiece will not “release” the jammed ax.
- I unfold the block 90 ° and strike again, but already to the end, until all four parts fly apart.
Thus, the blocks are cut a little faster.
And in order to make chopping wood easier and even faster,
you can use a special machine with a screw splitter-attachment ø60 mm.
Want to keep it ?
How to put the chain on the saw correctly
When performing an impressive amount of joinery and carpentry work, a reliable saw is needed, regardless of whether the wood is being cut in the house or outdoors. The quality and serviceability of the tool directly depends on the condition of its main elements: chains and tires. Correctly placing the chain on the saw is the main task facing the user, which greatly facilitates subsequent operation. Practical recommendations will help to perform this action, even for those who have never done this before.
The saw chain is as important as the engine. And its choice should be approached as responsibly as possible, this will help to avoid many problems during the subsequent operation of the tool. You need to choose a chain for a saw, focusing on the following parameters:
- Saw model compatible. Despite the large number of alternative options, it is best to purchase a part from the same company that produced the tool itself.
- Purpose of use. If the saw is intended for household work at home or in the garden, then it is optimal to select a part with a chain link pitch of 0.325 “. For large volumes of work, a high-performance chain with a 3/8” pitch is required.
- It should be the same length as the tire. Stretching or sagging of the part during long-term operation is eliminated by removing part of the links.
- For large volumes of work, it is recommended to use high performance saw blades with a sharpening angle of 30 °. For complex processing, for example, wet or freezing wood, use sharpening teeth at 10 °.
It is also important to take into account the material with which it is planned to work, and the method of cutting it. So chains with a smaller sharpening angle are suitable for ripping. In this case, their productivity will not be so high, but the operational life will significantly increase.
The choice of the saw bar must also be very careful. First of all, it is worth paying attention to the material: the stronger it is, the longer the part will last without failing. The following parameters are equally important:
- Length (the distance between the stop and the toe). the greater this indicator, the larger the tree will be cut. Mostly used lengths 12-20 “.
- Groove width. for household dust, parts with grooves up to 1.3 mm are used; 1.5-1.6 mm in a more powerful tool.
- Shank. determines if the tire is suitable for a specific electric stove model. It is better to purchase a branded part, although shanks from different manufacturers are often interchangeable.
Only with the correct selection of sawing elements will the further operation of the saw be effective, safe, and does not require additional money or time investments.
How to properly adjust the chain tension
The tension level of the saw chain directly affects the safety of the tool, work efficiency, and service life. It is very easy to check the tension level: closer to the center of the tire, take the prong of the gripping element by pulling it up. At normal tension, 1/3 sharp should remain inside the seat, and the chain can be safely rotated by hand.
Various saw models are equipped with wing nut or screw chain tensioners:
- Adjustment on tools equipped with a quick tensioning system is carried out by rotating a special wheel located under the sprocket guard. Clockwise rotation tightens the saw element, counter-clockwise loosens. With this mechanism, the tension can be changed on the fly.
- Adjusting the tension in screw saws is a little more complicated. You will need to loosen the tension screw and side nuts, then you can rotate the screw. With the build-up of tension, the chain must be turned forward to check the smoothness of the movement, to eliminate the backlash of the hinges.
Perform all work, making sure that the saw is disconnected from the mains.
During operation, especially on impressive volumes of work performed, the saw chain wears out and weakens. If you DO NOT take care of its replacement in a timely manner, followed by adjusting the tension, the part can make the operation of the tool unsafe, for example, jumping off right at the time of cutting.
To install a chain on a saw, you should take into account its characteristics, in particular the type of tension in a single tool. For lateral tension, the sequence is as follows:
- Release the brake by pulling the safety bar towards you, until you hear a characteristic click.
- Using a screwdriver, Loosen the tensioning screw, releasing the chain tension. The clamping nut will start to rotate freely.
- Remove old part. Open the compartment where the sawing elements are located by lifting the cover on the body, then remove the chain from the guides (sprockets), the tire will also have to be dismantled. When it is not possible to remove the parts, you will need to loosen the tensioning screw.
- The replacement part is installed over the sprocket, you need to start from the top of the tire. Then, guided by the guides, insert back into the compartment.
Replacement may seem complicated, but it guarantees the reliability of the entire system when compared to tools equipped with keyless chucks.
Change the saw blade to a saw with a quick tension system in the following order:
- Remove the tool from the brake.
- Open the handle nut in the stopper.
- Rotate wing nut counterclockwise. This element serves as both a cover lock and a rail clamp.
- Absorbed the protection from the guide, slide the tire in the opposite direction. Free the driven sprocket, remove the old chain.
- Install a new chain along the entire length of the bar, starting with a sprocket, so that the cutting edge is facing the inside of the saw body.
- Adjust the tension by adjusting the guide.
- When the sprocket cover is installed, the retaining nut will be tightened rather than tightened.
- Turn the tensioning wheel in the direction of the arrow indicated on the body, and then tighten the wing nut.
The process of changing parts on a saw equipped with a wing nut, not time-consuming, but allows you to quickly adjust the tension.
Do-it-yourself saw chain sharpening
If signs of wear appear on the cutting teeth, it is recommended to sharpen the saw chain. To do this yourself, you will need a set of Special Tools:
- Files. flat and round. Their diameter must match the chain teeth.
In order not to do unnecessary work, the first tooth in sharpening must be marked with a marker.
The saw element is NOT removed during sharpening, it is left on the bar, which is firmly fixed in a vice. Movement should be rhythmic, fast, accurate and made in one direction, observing the sharpening angle. When working with a round file, you need to make sure that it does not go beyond the level of the chain teeth by more than 20% of its length.
Also, do not forget about the limiter, it also needs to be processed with a file, since over time this part wears out, losing its shape. The gauge (end face and 90 degrees in relation to the saw bar) must be applied to the edge of the stop. When the stopper protrudes beyond the gauge, it will need to be trimmed with a flat file.
Despite the seeming complexity of the actions, replacing the sawing elements with a saw, adjusting the tension and sharpening will NOT require the master to contact the service center. The main thing is to do everything in a timely manner, do not allow too strong wear of parts and DO NOT violate the operating conditions.
The process of pulling a track on an electric saw
Any circuit on the device must be monitored. Pulling is pretty simple:
- Exploring the fuel cock. The system must be locked.
- Removing the spark plug wires or opening the decompression valve.
- The saw fork is disconnected from the mains.
- The row rotates according to its movement.
You can understand that the caterpillar is not tensioned correctly by the sagging of its bottom. At the top, it is necessary to have a constant margin arising in the process of drawing the chain row. Excessive tension causes the track to stop moving.
For the convenience and safety of storage, the saws are equipped with special covers.
Such actions cause tire deformation or crankshaft failure. The process of tensioning the tracks is carried out without the use of tools. To extend the useful life of this part, install and tighten the element in good weather.
When using the saw constantly, keep 2 chains in stock.
Any chainsaw is also equipped with a braking device that protects a person standing next to him from injury. It allows the tool to stop when the tire hits the master. Such actions depend on two points:
- Braking speed;
- Mechanism connection period.
The saw is started in two ways: contact and inertial. Safety of work is ensured by braking the equipment with a shield, a human hand is inserted into its body. Some dust grades are equipped with a protective cover to protect the sharp part of the device.
Features of the cutting part of the chainsaw
When buying a saw, it is important to pay attention to the following components:
- Indicators of groove thickness;
- Chain travel distance;
- Number of links.
Circular saw. one of the types of tools.
Quality samples of such tools are distinguished by the highest performance indicators. Such models are constant, do not change their data as a result of constant friction and can work under any adverse conditions. Any dust chain has 50 main links. Their step distance corresponds to 3/8, the groove is 1.3 mm. In some cases, the choice of this element depends on Some features:
- Strict adherence to the instructions of the electric saw;
- Information about the quality indicators of the chain;
- Familiarity with the step size of several links.
52-link units have 38 spacing with 1.3 mm grooves and 36 cm bars. Saws used in the most difficult conditions are equipped with Special alloy tracks.
How to install the saw chain correctly?
You can understand how to install a saw chain by examining in detail its purpose, structure, features of equipment, by checking the degree of tension of the caterpillar. It is worth noting that this equipment is incredibly easy to use. Therefore, all work is performed quickly, efficiently and smoothly.
Saws are used in construction and home workshops for a variety of tasks.
Chain installation: features
In order for the chainsaw to function properly, you need to monitor the correct operation of all its devices. The caterpillar, installed according to all the rules, will save you from possible injuries. Installation work is carried out with the introduction of devices:
Particular attention should be paid to the degree of sharpening of the chain and its tension. The track should be monitored regularly:
- First, you should study the saw bars, which are fixed with a cover on the clutch.
- If a chain renewal is required, the nuts are loosened with a wrench. It is not allowed to release the chain brake tension at the same time.
- The brake pad moves to the side. Particularly noteworthy are the grooves that allow the tension of the chain part.
- On the left side, the saw bars are moved, trying to touch the main sprocket. One of the chain elements is fixed to the driving part, the shank is fixed in the bus holes.
- Adjusting the screw allows this part to be properly tensioned. As the cover is installed, they begin to tighten the nuts.
- The guide bar is placed up, and the nuts are tightened until they stop.
- The track travel distance on the tire is checked.
Reciprocating saw. another model of a modern chainsaw.
It is necessary to install the chain, checking the degree of its tension after each installation or replacement. Insufficient fastening of the part can cause it to jump off the base of the tire and injure workers.
The amount of tension is checked manually, after putting on gloves on the hands. It is worth considering the fact that in the process of using the tool, any chain changes the length indicators. For this reason, checks must be carried out regularly.
Appointment of a chain for a chainsaw
Recently, cutting tools Presented in a variety. To ensure maximum convenience, it is advisable to purchase higher quality copies.
Saws are used in the construction industry for cutting wood surfaces, furnishing buildings and the surrounding area. This is a practical device, the universal qualities of which allow it to operate from a two-phase motor. Sharp elements of this device are represented by circuits of various configurations. The main part of such devices has metal tires and sprockets.
Chainsaw main parts.
Non-professional saws are rated for 3.25 inch chain pitch. These dimensions significantly reduce the coefficient of vibration movements, however, This does not have the best effect on the power of the device: it drops noticeably. The high quality movements are equipped with rows moving in 3/8 and 0.404 inch increments. In the process of purchasing a chainsaw, special attention should be paid to the quality of the sharp part, i.E. Caterpillars.
How to replace the saw blade?
To sharpen the chain with high quality, special tools are used. In such work, the originality of the shape of the teeth themselves should be taken into account. Taking into account the fact that in one of the cutting parts the upper edge is slightly beveled, the device should be sharpened 2-3 times.
The movement of the cutting head when it touches the ground will dull it. It is possible to understand that the dust should be sharpened by the formation of small chips, as well as the quick fatigue of the master with zero work result. To put a blunt base in order, you should prepare the tools:
The main part of the saw is its chain.
- Flat file;
- A hook for cleaning sawdust;
A file with a round base is used when taking into account the edge of the base of the teeth and the characteristics of the metal in the chain links. The correct position of the file will be important for high-quality sharpening of the edge. This attachment should be held in a right angle in the vertical position and 30 ° in relation to the horizontal position. The holder is fixed to the tooth, and the device should be located as close to it as possible, which helps the file to be at the desired height for work.
The beginning of the events is associated with the moment of fixing the tire with smooth, unsharp movements. First, the teeth facing one side should be updated, then the opposite parts are sharpened. It should be noted that these small elements must experience the same number of file strokes.
The restraining depth device protects the template from being erased, it should be installed in the slotted part by overlapping additional tools. The moving mechanism is prevented from grinding off the depth gauge, which is not recommended to touch, and links should not be replaced in it. Otherwise, the saw operation may be impaired. For this, special devices are used that allow sharpening with high quality, evenly processing the teeth.
A similar operation is carried out according to the scheme:
- Chain brake attachment;
- Installation of the tool according to the stencil;
- Designation of the first teeth;
- Organization of the process.
I installed a tool for cutting wood in accordance with all the requirements, you can significantly reduce costs, and make the event safer and more comfortable. Cutting natural rocks will be carried out without unnecessary problems.
Do-it-yourself saw chain sharpening
It is best to entrust the restoration of the cutting headset to a professional from a service center. If this is possible, then you can sharpen the saw chain yourself.
To do this, the gardener will need a set, which includes:
- Round file with approximate lines applied to it;
- Flat file needed to adjust the depth gauge;
- Calibration device;
- Mandrel required to select the correct angle.
During the processing of the teeth with a round file, the operator must constantly make sure that its surface protrudes behind the teeth of the chain not more than 1/5 of its length. It is best to mark the first tooth to be treated in advance so that it does not re-eat it later. All operator movements Must be strictly in one direction.
After processing each tooth, it is necessary to proceed to the restoration of its limiter. To do this, you need to attach a calibration device to its edge. As a result, the end piece should be located next to the stops. Otherwise, the stop will need to be trimmed with a flat file. Thus, the calibrator must be perpendicular to the saw bar.
In addition to Special Kits, there are machines for self-sharpening of the cutting body on sale. They are divided into manual and electric. A simpler device stands out for manual devices, which resemble a jigsaw or a frame. To sharpen the chain with their help, the user must fix the tire in Special pressures. this will make it possible to comfortably handle each of the worn teeth.
Electric machines can only be used in garages or other areas with access to electricity. Among the advantages of THESE devices are the ability to sharpen different types of cutting bodies, precise adjustment of the pitch and depth of cut, as well as the choice of the correct cutting angle.
To work on an electric machine, the gardener must sharpen the first cutting tooth. After that, you need to set the parameters for restoring the headset for the first tooth and start sharpening the remaining teeth.
How to put the chain on the saw correctly?
Most often, a side tensioner is provided in the saw device for the possibility of self-assembly by the operator of a new cutting device. To install a chain on a saw with such a mechanism, its owner must follow these steps:
- While lowering the brake lever, move the plastic shield of the operator’s protection with the other hand;
- Carefully return the built-in tension screw with a screwdriver;
- Unscrew the nut to release the tension on the cutting body;
- Carefully dismantle the tool housing cover;
- Remove the metal guide from the sprocket;
- Dismantle the worn out old chain;
- Place the chain on the guide and place the cutters back on the saw.
The saw chain tension should be smooth, without jerking. To do this, slowly tighten the headset, install the protective plastic cover of the saw, and tighten the saw body with a nut and screw.
Installing the chain on the saws Some modifications are made using built-in wing nuts, which allow you to quickly put and tighten the headset. Replacing the chain with a saw with this type of attachment should be as follows:
- First, the operator will need to lower the brake lever, unscrew the retaining nut and remove the factory protective cover;
- Next, you need to move the guide back and carefully remove the old headset;
- After that, you will need to install a new chain, putting it first on the sprocket, and then along the entire length of the guide;
- Then it remains to install the built-in sprocket in its original place and tighten the nuts tightly.
At the end, the operator must return the tension wheel in the direction of the arrow, and tighten the standard “wing” to the end.
How to choose a saw chain?
To choose the best cutting attachment for a particular saw, the gardener needs to study several fundamental parameters and chain criteria:
- Length. must necessarily correspond to the length of the installed metal guide. Some novice users are trying to install shortened cutters on the tires of their tools, I believe that over time they will still stretch and fit tightly on the tire. This is a big mistake as the length of the rail and the new headset must be the same. If the chain sags as a result of operation, then it is easy to shorten it by removing several links;
- Factory-sharpened angle. parts sharpened at a 30 углом angle can withstand increased loads more easily. For regular work with frozen and damp wood, headsets with an angle of 10⁰ will be most effective;
- Manufacturer. so that the cutting body fits perfectly on the tire, you need to choose the products of the manufacturer’s brand of the installed guide and the saw itself. For example, Makita saws and bars should be made from the same manufacturer.
To choose a saw chain. The owner of the equipment must take into account the purpose for which the cutting attachment will be used. For the possibility of sawing relatively large wood, chains with a 3/8 “pitch are suitable. If the loads are not high, then for installation on a power tool it is better to choose cutting sets with a pitch of 0.325”.
As with chainsaws, the main working parts of an electric garden tool are the bar and the chain. Their quality and technical parameters largely depend on the performance of the chain saw, the volume of fuel it regularly consumes, as well as the quality of the mowing line for cutting wood. In order to constantly maintain the stable operation of a garden tool, its owner must study the rules for choosing, installing, maintaining and repairing a cutting headset. This will keep the bar and saw chain in order until the end of their service life.
The chain does NOT spin on the saw. reasons and repair methods
The most common cause of this breakdown is a factory defect or wear on the plastic sprocket of the gearbox to which the saw bar is attached. During operation, the drive star is the first to take on the load, which is transmitted by the saw’s power unit. Over time, her teeth lick off. After that, the motor and other important mechanisms of the electric garden tool begin to overheat.
When the first signs of a saw malfunction are found, the chainring should be replaced immediately. To do this, you need to disassemble the tool and carefully remove the worn part. Then you need to clean the place under it from the remnants of the old liquid, and install a new star. At the end, the part will need to be abundantly lubricated with thick oil.
In some cases, it is NOT the built-in asterisk that fails, but the elements located next to it. High stress elements include clutch cup, spring, bearing and cam. As a rule, these parts cannot be repaired, so the operator will need to replace defective parts, and not wait for the failure of the second saw elements.
In order to prevent increased wear of the drive parts in the future, you need to constantly monitor their condition and the amount of lubricant. The user of the garden saw should at least once a month inspect the gear and the gearbox and, if necessary, clean them and change the lubricant.