Repair of electric trimmer: how typical breakdowns occur
Gasoline or electric trimmer for grass are an indispensable assistant in the arsenal of the modern dacha owner or owner of his own house. Thanks to these gardening devices you can easily mow even a large garden plot. After acquiring this tool and performing several mowing, many people wonder how to properly wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool. For the inexperienced user, the first operation of changing it will seem problematic and time-consuming, as developers often do not fully reflect the instructions for changing the line in the owner’s manual.
Grass trimmers are designed to remove excess vegetation on the site. Their main difference from the lawnmower is the compact size, which allows you to clean the grass even in the most difficult areas. Apparatuses are available with two engine modifications. electric and gasoline.
Operating instructions for grass trimmer gasoline Patriot PT 2540
Safety Precautions and Getting Started with the Trimmer:
- At the beginning of work it is necessary to check all elements of the device, correctness and reliability of their fastenings.
- Do not leave switched on equipment without supervision. During work, you must remove children to a safe distance.
- All solid elements that threaten the cutting element of the equipment must be removed from the area.
- Protect your eyes, hands and feet with safety glasses or face shield, gloves and closed shoes when cutting grass with the trimmer.
- It is necessary to carefully protect the grass trimmer from moisture to avoid the formation of corrosion.
- The grass trimmer is started on a level and dry surface. Do not use trimmer lines of a diameter greater than 2mm to avoid breaking the machine. Do not substitute reinforced fishing line, iron ropes and cables for the trimmer’s line.
- The fuel mixture is prepared from gasoline with octane number not less than Ai-95 and original oils and lubricants from Patriot.
- If during the work there was a leak of fuel mixture, it is necessary to move away from this point at least 3 meters and only then start the machine. Never fill the fuel mix in the grass trimmer with a running or hot motor.
- Regularly diagnose the condition of the machine. If there is the slightest problem, stop using the machine and take it to a service center.
- Never use the grass trimmer in enclosed spaces. It is designed for outdoor use only.
Preparing for line winding
Before winding the line, remove the filament spool from the body. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three design types of trimmers:
This model can be equipped with a blade. To remove the spool on these models, you need to use the two recessed buttons on the body of the spool. To install the trimmer blade, you must align the hole of the bobbin and the rod, and then insert a device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). the bobbin case can be unscrewed easily by hand in a clockwise direction.
Changing a line in a Patriot trimmer
If the line for trimmer does not lengthen when lightly striking the button on the grass trimmer reel on the ground, the prerequisites for this are usually the following.
Variant 1. jamming has occured, t.е. the filament is caught between the coils. This mismatch usually occurs if the user reeled line for trimmer unevenly, with a crossing of the coils, or reeled it with a lack of tension. In the latter case, when you rotate the mowing head at high speed under the influence of centrifugal force cord begins to be tightened, and as a result you intercorner clamping line. To fix the problem it will be necessary to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, by even turns with a good tension.
Option 2.4. very short ends protrude from the head. trimmer line may not come out when hitting the ground, if its ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (not long enough). Then the centrifugal force is not enough for a trimmer line to stretch. Because it is required to suspend the unit (turn off the engine or unplug the trimmer elektrichesky for grass) and pull the line for the trimmer manually, by first pressing the button.
Option 3. trimmer line soldered inside the mowing head. This leads to the fact that the spool stops and does not even spin when the button is pressed. In the main, this happens for several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating the coil during prolonged use of the unit, the impact of the line on solid objects.
- In the beginning you will like the cords of other manufacturers are made of low-quality and fusible materials that do not withstand the mechanical and thermal stress. It is therefore necessary to give preference to “branded” lines.
- If you still caught the line for the trimmer unknown properties, and it often soldered at the time of his work, it is possible to follow the example of some users, who after filling the cord in the coil lubricate it or silicone grease (from a canister), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering turns of line with each other.
- Also, the line for the trimmer may meld if it hits a hard object (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.) while mowing.д.). As a result, it is little stretched and retracts at high speed back into the head. The friction warms the cord and the coils stick together. The only thing to do to correct this problem. is to open the grass trimmer spool and rewind line for the trimmer.
Working with attachments trimmer for grass Patriot PT 555 line trimmer
There are situations when the user of grass trimmer notices a very sharp flow of line. In all this, he never hit the button on the ground to lengthen the line. A prerequisite that the line for the trimmer spontaneously lengthens, cutting on a special knife on the housing of the device, is the lack of a spring in the mowing head. Often beginners users of mowers, trying to load line for trimmer in the reel, forget to install a pinch spring in the head, or completely lose it when opening the cover, and soon, do not even know about its existence.
Also, the line for the trimmer is extended without using the button if the spring is loose. If checking the spring confirmed this fact, you need to put a few washers under it to strengthen its clamping characteristics.
Owners trimmers, mostly new, come to the confusion, adjacent to panic, when there is a need to change the cutting tool, otherwise speaking line for a trimmer in the coil. Often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head users simply cause it to fail, not realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To avoid this, if it will be necessary to change the tool, it is recommended to study the step by step annotation, below.
- Before you tuck the line for trimmer in the coil, stop the engine trimmer trimmer for grass, to avoid injuries that occur when accidentally start the rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew nozzle attached to gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer on the axis, and inserting them in an iron bar on another screwdriver.
Changing the line on the trimmer or brushcutter
To replace a line on a trimmer or brushcutter (cord, string) first of all we need to know its thickness. If there are no cord remnants left, then study the datasheet of our gardening equipment. Sometimes the right information can be found by carefully inspecting the mowing reel, the range of diameters can be plotted on its surface. If our search is unsuccessful, then simply assess the diameter of the outlet hole on the spool. The line for the trimmer should move in it without effort. Expanding the holes in order to use a thicker string to increase the performance and capacity of the garden equipment is not recommended. The thickness of the line is calculated by the manufacturer on the basis of the engine power.
To replace the cord on most models, you have to disassemble the mowing reel by pushing on the latches. Sometimes at the same time as pressing the latches, you must also turn the top of the spool.
In a standard bobbin is tucked 5-6 meters of thin cutting line or up to 3 meters of thick. Figures are approximate, it all depends on the size of your mowing head. If it overheats while mowing, it is better to refill less mowing line. There is a chance that it will sinter and you just throw it away.
The simplest trimmers and brushcutters have a manual spool with one bar. It’s simple, we fix one end of the line in the slit inside the bobbin. Then reel in as much cords as will fit under the protective cover, following the arrow. 10 cm of line is led through the holes in the protective casing and spool and reassemble it.
Non-automatic single-tendon spool
Semi-automatic single spool with 2 tendrils
Semi-automatic two-section reel with 2 antennas
If the line for the trimmer on the trimmer has 2 tendrils, then before winding, the string is folded in half, shifting the edges by 5-10 centimeters. Bobbins come in different designs, but each has some kind of catch for fixing the middle of the cord. If the bobbin is single-section, then there is a hole where you must pass one end of the line and center it again. In a two-section bobbin, there is a notch in the baffle.
Wind-cord and winding direction arrow
The inscription “Wind kord” and the arrow show us the direction of winding. If there’s no arrow, we wind it around in the opposite direction to the direction of rotation. One hand holds the edges of the cord, and the other spinning the bobbin, winding line for the trimmer, each side on its track. String stack quite tight, perfectly smooth is not necessary, the main thing is to avoid crossing. It takes care of itself as it works. When about 10 centimeters of cord are left, we fix the edges in the slots. Let’s put the string through the holes on the spool body. Lightly jerk the line to the trimmer alternately so that no loops form inside, and insert the bobbin into the spool. Then we assemble the mowing reel. Sometimes the spool is so designed that you have to loosen the edges of the string from the slits in the bobbin when you reassemble it. Check the correct assembly of our semi-automatic mowing head by simulating the impact of the grass trimmer on the ground. Press the button in the middle and simultaneously pull on the edges of the line. If everything is okay, the tendrils are pulled out slightly.
On Oleo-Mac brushcutters the cutting reel doesn’t need to be disassembled at all. Simply put the string through the holes. Center it, and by rotating the “wing nut” in the direction of the arrow, wind up the cord. Changing the line on the trimmer is very fast, such a design is beginning to occur more and more often.
I hope you will find the article on the correct selection of fishing line for your garden equipment “line for grass trimmer trimmer, string, cord for electric and brushcutter” useful.
Adjusting the trimmer for grass battery
Corded braids are easy to use, and they actively help clear the area near the house of grass. This includes batteries with a charge indicator. Adjust the bar and handle easily.
Advantages of cordless trimmers:
- No noise as a wire, you can keep an eye on your lawn;
- Ideal for amateur use;
- It is lightweight and well balanced.
The equipment comes with the series and includes.
- Height-adjustable booms. It can be adjusted at any time. Ideal for situations where more than one person uses the device, and anyone can adapt it for themselves.
- The handle is circular in shape and easy to adjust. It has six positions.
- The mowing setting is adjustable. This can be done in four positions.
- The edges can be trimmed vertically. In this case, the angle can be changed up to 90 degrees.
The most famous cordless tapes are listed below.
The length of the device is 154 cm. The current is 5.5 amps. The lightest of the remaining mowers. This tool can be used on large areas.
Length. 165 cm. Current. 8 А. Ideal for mowing small areas.
Handy device for mowing lawns, flower beds, fences and more. Engine runs fairly quiet, no exhaust.
For tough grass and large areas. There are two handles on the handle. Diameter in diameter is 26 cm. Low noise level, which contributes to efficient operation. There are two blades on the cutting blade.
Mechanical problems are caused by damage to the three-dimensional head. This component is most often wearable, and it is often in contact with the environment. There are several options for mechanical damage.
Think about how to fill the rod in the spool yourself. First you need to remove the spool and the cover. Choose a line for your trimmer, cut the right amount.
We start winding the spool: to do this, we fix one end of the mowing line in the gap, gently winding the line for the trimmer. The trimmer line must be wound so that the protective cover is quietly closed, the trimmer line can be unwound on its own. The other end is inserted into the hole in the protective cover. Take the bobbin and cover it. We tighten the end of the mowing line into the hole in the cover and pull the trimmer line out slightly.
Winding the line
Threading a fishing line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Once you have decided on the length of the cord, follow the instructions below:
- Fold the material in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging must begin with the center curb, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction to wind the line for the trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the winding side. If there is no marking on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind it up in the opposite direction.
- Make sure you wind the thread carefully, coil by coil. Try to keep the thread as taut as possible.
- After completing the cord placement, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the sidewall of the spool that fits the diameter. The second end (longer), attach in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the line for the trimmer, cut its ends. Remember to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Attach the tucked-in spool to the mowing head of the unit. To do this, you need to alternately insert and pull the thread into the output holes of the head to then place the device’s bobbin into the skin.
- With the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. When you have finished, put on the cover and fasten it with the catches.
Step-by-step winding the line on the reel Winding the cord on the grass trimmer can also be done in another way, which charges two pieces of material instead of one. The replacement is done like this:
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin there should be a hole that is designed to secure the thread. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer reel.
- Do the same for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
Adjusting the line
It also happens that sometimes it is not worth puzzling over how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer, as it is only necessary to adjust the line for the trimmer, thereby increasing the performance. Alternatively, the cutting element can be trimmed with a knife if it protrudes too much. But the length can also be adjusted directly while mowing vegetation, gently touching the head of the line to the floor. But this can be done only if the material extends beyond the spool by at least 3 centimeters.
One of the main rules when replacing and adjusting equipment. any manipulation with the mechanism should be carried out only with the engine off and the plug of the device unplugged.
Perhaps these tips will tell you how to tuck the line for trimmer in the trimmer for grass as correctly as possible and, accordingly, to give your area a neat and aesthetic appearance. All that is required. it is competent to pick up the necessary type of cutting material and, of course, decide on the category of the trimmer used for grass.
Near the house always looked well-groomed and neat, it should be regularly mowed. Fortunately, modern technology allows you to solve this task without excessive physical effort. Electric grass trimmers are so easy to operate and maintain that even a teenager can mow grass with their help. The main thing is to understand beforehand how to tuck in the trimmer for grass.
How to load a line for a trimmer trimmer for grass?
So, we are faced with the task. to correctly charge the line for the trimmer in the trimmer for grass. Let’s understand in more detail how to begin to perform it and what pitfalls can expect us in the process.
At the very beginning it is necessary to choose the right line for the trimmer. Although at first glance, all the line sold in the market or in the store for the trimmer is little different from each other, you should not buy it at random. Not to err in choice will not be superfluous to bring a package of used fishing line or a small piece of it, or at least write down the model trimmer for grass. The ideal choice for almost all trimmer models is a trimmer line with a thickness of 3-4 mm.
To perform this operation, unplug the grass trimmer and turn the working head upside down. The further course of action depends on the model of grass trimmer and design of the coil itself:
- in small trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor, press the buttons on the sides of the spool and remove the upper part of the head;
- We clamp the coil body with one hand on trimmers with a bent bar, simultaneously turning counterclockwise the wing nut located on the body;
- in trimmers with a straight shaft and gearbox, insert a screwdriver in the hole under the reel, and then turn the body of the reel counterclockwise.
After the spool is removed from the head, it must be carefully disassembled. It is better to do it on an already mowed area, as there may be a spring inside the spool, which is not easy to find in the tall grass. After disassembling we have three parts: the body (top cover), protective cover and spool itself.
Step 4. measuring the required amount of fishing line
Beginner mowers usually wonder how many meters of fishing line to wind on the grass trimmer reel? There are two ways to solve this problem:
In any case, after winding is complete, the coils of fishing line should be on the body of the spool without slipping off it. It is not necessary to try to wind as much as possible, as the line for the trimmer will not unwind well and tear more often.
Step 5. winding the line for the trimmer on the spool
How to install the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer, depends on the design of the spool. Let’s take a variant, when the body of the spool has one exit for the line for the trimmer. In this case we clamp the end of the line in a crevice in the reel, and then wind up the line for the trimmer, trying to put the coils as tightly as possible. The direction of laying the coils should be opposite to the direction of rotation of the spool and is usually indicated on its inner part. After winding is complete, a protective tube should be put on the spool and the end of the line should be brought out into the tube
If the spool is designed to work with two tails, the line for the trimmer must be folded in half and placed in the slot in the central part of the spool. Further winding will be done by one or two slots, depending on the design of the spool. The winding direction should also be opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil. At the end of the fishing line tails will also need to be brought out into the holes on top of the spool.
Despite the fact that garden equipment has been in use for quite some time, for some private homeowners it is still new. That’s why questions often arise about how to correctly wind the line for a trimmer or a gasoline grass trimmer.
This is essentially an uncomplicated operation, but all of its steps must be performed competently in order to achieve the desired result. over, very few manufacturers give an answer to this burning question in their service manuals. Study the article and learn how to wind the trimmer fishing line onto the grass trimmer spool.
Inserting the new thread
Always turn off the motor and pull the mains plug before renewing the filament! Press the lock (B/1) and turn the body cap (B/2) as far as it will go (the nose on the body cap (B/3) must be in the middle of the lock) Separate the body cap (B/2) from the body (B/4) Remove the spool (B/5) from the body and remove any old thread.
Remove the spool from the grass trimmer
On small electric trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor (when on the ground), the spool usually has two keys on the sides. Push down on them and disconnect one half of the spool body from the other half, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, remove the inner part on which the trimmer line itself is wound. When syntactically analyzing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on these trimmers) you need to wrap one hand around the body of the spool, and with the other hand you have to start turning counterclockwise, lambasting it. It is the one that secures the spool to the trim strip. Unscrewing the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight rod and gearbox at the end (we can also install a knife in addition to the line), we look for a hole under the spool, put a screwdriver in it, for example, screw in until the spool is deeper, and the spool is blocked. Now turn the entire spool clockwise (since the thread is left) and remove it from the grass trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with snaps or twisted with the lamb. If the coil is snapped, we push down on the sides of the base of the latches so that they bend back and release one half of the coil body from the other half. Lamb is simply twisted. There can also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a reel: with it, you need to grab the bottom part with one hand and the other. the top one and start turning them in opposite directions. When decoding such a spool, you should also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
Block: 2/5 | Number of characters: 1764
What types of fishing lines are there?
A common type of fishing line that fits virtually all types of cord reels. This line is an ordinary trimmer line, suitable for mowing succulent grass, but it is much harder to mow dead grass, and it certainly cannot cope with shrubs.
Usually, the cross-section with which you can mow young grass does not exceed 1.6 mm. The thicker the thread, the coarser the grass it can overcome.
There are lines with ground edges in the form of a star or a square, such a version is more adapted to mowing dry grass just by having a sharp edge, but the disadvantage is its greater wear and tear and is inferior in strength round cord.
There are lines with improved aerodynamics with appropriate indentations, scales and notches, similar product makes less noise, but use it only on petrol-cutters, since the output of such thread from the spool is difficult, using it in most cases with discs, which are inserted segments. The disadvantage of this product is its fragility.
Changing the line on a brushcutter
How to rewind cutting filament on a brushcutter reel (grass trimmer) by yourself
Manual gasoline mower. Changing lines in the reel
In this video I show you how simple and easy it is to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool of a hand-held mower without the help of others.
In most cases, gasoline trimmers with an engine capacity of more than 1.5 liters.с. cord with an iron cord inside. Such cord is perfectly suited for mowing dry grass and small bushes. The presence of a core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above listed opponents.
How to correctly put the blade on the grass trimmer
Put a knife on the grass trimmer is not so difficult. The manufacturer has equipped their tools with a special pin that allows you to lock the gearbox and a wrench that unscrews the bobbin with a fishing line. The most important thing to observe when changing cutting elements safety and sequence of assembly disassembly.
The algorithm for installing a blade on the grass trimmer is as follows:
- Let’s remove the protective cover;
- Lock the drive. To do this, you need to combine two holes. in the hub of the shaft and in the gear cup. After their alignment, insert the pin in the holes;
- We unscrew clockwise from the hub of the bobbin with the fishing line or the attachment nut that holds the dust cover (if the grass trimmer has not yet been used);
- Next, install the cutter blade so that the slits on the hub washer coincide with the notches in the cutter blade hole;
- Install the dust cap;
- Screw the fastening nut (counterclockwise) while holding the locking pin;
- Tighten it using a pipe wrench;
- Reinstall the blade guard.
As you can see there is nothing complicated. Now you can safely start mowing the weeds on your property.
What the manual says
You can find the information we need on page eight.
Remove the surplus of the old line before threading in the new one. To do this, on the back side of the coil, press the two catches labeled Push and open the coil. After removing the remnants, reassemble the spool in the reverse order.
Turn the center button to align the direction of the arrow on the button with the exit holes in the housing.
Measure about 4m of trimmer line and push one end of it through either of the two outlets until it exits from the opposite outlet. You need to make sure the two sections of line coming out of the spool are about the same.
Fill the spool with fishing line by turning the button clockwise. The direction of rotation for winding the fishing line is marked on the reel.
I’ll run through the basic steps I took to wind the line for my trimmer on my Patriot spool. The main part naturally corresponds to the instructions. The only difference is that I took the head apart.
- Remove the trimmer head
- Take the head apart to get access to the coil
- Determine how much fishing line you need by winding it tightly on the spool
- Slide the trimmer line through the hole in the spool so that it splits in half
- Assemble the head
- Wind the line for the trimmer with the wing nut clockwise
- Turn the knob hand away from the triangles on the body
In the following note I will tell what oil I fill in the Patriot and how I prepare a fuel mix.
Patriot ET 1000 Power Grass Trimmer How to Remove the Reel
If your reel is designed to work with only one tendril, then everything is simple. Unwind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the spool), find the hole on the inside of the spool fixing the line for the trimmer, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line for the trimmer in the opposite direction of rotation of the spool on the trimmer. An arrow on the inside of the spool usually shows in which direction to wind the line for the trimmer. After winding the line for the trimmer, leave a small piece of it uncoiled to expose it to the outside. This piece is fixed in a special groove, located on the same inside of the spool and is designed to ensure that at the time of gathering the spool the line for the trimmer is not unwound. If there is no such slot, you will have to hold the line for the trimmer with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further assembly of the spool. Next, take the outer part of the spool and pass the outer piece of fishing line through the existing hole, assemble and put the spool back on the grass trimmer.
If the spool is designed to work with two tendrils, do the following. On the inside of the spool we see how many grooves are there for winding the line. There can be one or two. If there is one groove, then both tendrils are wound through this one groove. If there are two grooves, each wire must be wound by its own groove. A reel with one groove should have a through hole, into which the line for the trimmer is threaded. Reel off 2-4 m of fishing line, put it through this hole so that the line would stick out equally on each side. And wind both fishing line tendrils simultaneously in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the spool on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the spool. Leave a little line uncoiled and fix the ends in special grooves, and if they are not present, hold them with your fingers. Slide both ends through the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. Assemble the spool and fasten it to the trimmer.
If you have two grooves, a 2-4 m piece of fishing line should be folded in half, put the loop on the bend in the groove between the two grooves and wind both ends of the line on its groove simultaneously. Further actions are similar to the previous version.
There are also spools in which the line for the trimmer is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the fishing line, without winding, are pushed completely through the holes on the outer casing of the spool, collect the spool and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line for the trimmer during operation as it wears out. Turn the button. inside the trimmer line is wound. It is not possible to turn it in the “wrong” direction, because it can only turn in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind the fishing line for the trimmer on such a spool, even without disassembling it. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the spool, and then put the fishing line for the trimmer through them.
That’s all on the subject. Have a good winding!
How to remove the reel from a grass trimmer and remove the trimmer fishing line
Initially, before you tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel, you need to remove it from there. The spool or lead is a device that is located inside the mowing head, reel or drum. There are different kinds of heads, depending on the mower head manufacturer, but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum with the fishing line out of it.
This is interesting!You can change the line directly on the tool, but if you are doing it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and learn the detailed process of winding. After the technology is mastered, you can perform replacement work on the trimmer trimmer or gasoline-powered brushcutter.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and wipe off any dirt that may have accumulated on it. Use two fingers on each hand to hold the two cover catches (on the mowing head), which are located symmetrically to one another. After pressing them in slightly, remove the cover from the drum
- Next, the line reel should be removed from the reel shaft. It is mounted on the shaft without any fasteners, so it can be removed with one hand
- The body of the drum is fastened with a screw that needs to be unscrewed with a screwdriver and a suitable bit
- To unscrew, hold the base of the drum with one hand and unscrew in counter-clockwise direction with a screwdriver
- Then the dismantling process can begin. To do this, do not pull it with all your might, but rocking it slightly sideways, slowly unhook it from the metal shaft on which the reel is seated
- When reinstalling, seat the head in the slots of the square shaped
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the entire head, if you know how to do the replacement. Consider these nuances during disassembly:
- Periodically removing the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you have never unscrewed a screw, it can be difficult or even impossible to unscrew it when needed
- If the screw has a square drive head, select a screwdriver or suitable size for the unscrewing process in order to avoid slipping on the drive head
- When reassembling the system, the threaded seating should be coated with a lubricant, e.g. grease or machine oil
- If the facets on the screw have slipped, you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it
- There are some reels that do not require disassembly. To disassemble them, you should take hold of it, and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
How to open the self-winding spool (bobbin) of a brushcutter.
Knowing how to disassemble the reel, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process of how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
How to change a line for a trimmer on a trimmer?
Replacement line trimmer for grass trimmer step by step annotation will allow even inexperienced in such matters lawn mower owner perform a fairly difficult work.
But before you start work on the replacement of fishing line on your trimmer, you need to ensure the safety of the work. Namely, it is necessary to take safety measures against the careless or spontaneous activation of the trimmer:
- prevent spontaneous start,
- Remove the battery pack (if applied),
- place the tool on a comfortable work site.
Replacement work on the grass trimmer line is comfortable to do when the mower is on the table, and the master, who replaces the trimmer blade for grass, is able to approach the tool with any side.
First, for winding the fishing line is required to remove the spool (spool, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. certain actions will depend on the difficulty of configuration and the type of the product itself:
- small electronic grass trimmers with the working arrangement of the motor and spool in the bottom, usually have side buttons on both sides of the reel. When you simultaneously press them, the higher part of the spool, together with the internal contents for reeling the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is best to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring that is part of the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- Electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with a bent rod without the ability to install a knife, usually have a special reel with a wingnut: in similar designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in an immobile position, and the other counterclockwise to twist fixing the bobbin on the rod nut, wingnut. After disconnecting the nut, the entire spool is removed.
- electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with the ability to install a knife on a straight shaft (for example, STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the sprayer boom a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into the hole and a slight twisting action is taken to assure that the screwdriver goes into the hole and the bobbin is locked in place. Then the bobbin case is turned clockwise (with left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third versions of the spool, depending on the design, are disassembled by different methods. In spools with a drum, the drum is unscrewed, in spools with latches, the latches are pressed and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by threads, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Step two: Removing the filament reel (spool)
The next step in the process is to remove the reel with the fishing line from the inner area of the head. Need to turn the head open side to see the line for the trimmer and spool. On the side of the head to find two recesses (eyelets), through which the line for the trimmer is led out.
Pull the line for the trimmer out of the holes by turning the reel. After that, gently remove the spool from the head area. The winding drum of some models is installed on a spring. This point must be taken into account when performing the extraction operation.
Procedure for extracting the grass trimmer reel with fishing line from the inner area of the head: 1. head complete with reel; 2. extraction gently with a small axial rotation; 3. extracted parts
Ancient line for the trimmer is removed from the spool one hundred percent. To perform the removal of the old grass trimmer line, you must remove the line from the loops-fixators and pull the free end. In this way all the ancient winding is removed. The same process is repeated on the 2nd section of the drum. It is recommended to use gloves when performing this operation.
Step two: winding of the cutting material in sections
The next step is to wrap the line around the spool, taking care. Each half has to be filled with its own winding, evenly, with no overlaps. Usually on the body of the winding drum you can see arrows showing the direction of winding. This point should be kept in mind when filling the spool with fishing line.