What you need to know before using your new lawnmower
The grass trimmer is a handy, easy-to-use tool for mowing grass and trimming small bushes and trees. A line for trimmer (string, cord) is often used as a cutting element, because it costs less than knife-discs and is safer to use. Heavy use of the tool will eventually require changing the trimmer line on the trimmer. This process is similar on mowers from different manufacturers, whether Husqvarna or Huter, with possible minor differences.
First of all, winding the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific steps will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with a working motor and spool at the bottom usually have side keys on either side of the reel. When they are pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the reel with the internal contents for winding the line is detached, while the lower part stays on the trimmer. It is desirable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat smooth place, so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and not lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a spool with a special wingnut: in such designs should be one hand to hold the bobbin in a fixed position, and the other counterclockwise rotation of the fixing bobbin on the boom nut, wingnut. After loosening the nut the entire bobbin is removed.
- Electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight boom (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the cutter bar, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into the hole and slowly rotated until the screwdriver fits into the hole and the bobbin is locked in place. After that, the spool body is scrolled clockwise (with the left thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, depending on the design, coils are disassembled in different ways. Reels with a wingnut unscrew the wingnut, and spools with snaps snap latches are pressed, and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin thread connect, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until complete razrenntirovannya.
How to replace, remove the mowing head of the electric grass trimmer BlackDecker GL716
How to change, remove the mowing head of the electric grass trimmer
BlackDecker GL716 for repair or replacement.
In most cases, in gasoline trimmers with an engine capacity of more than 1.5 liters.с. use cords with an iron rope inside. This video shows how to disassemble the spool of a petrol grass trimmer, as well as how to wind it correctly for the line trimmer. Take a close look at my video on a similar trimmer on how to change the line for the trimmer in. Such a cord is perfectly suitable for mowing dry grass and small bushes. The presence of a core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above listed opponents.
Cut the trimmer line to the correct length
To replace the line for the trimmer in your trimmer, rewind and cut the necessary amount of line. Required length depends on the diameter of the particular line for the bobbin and design features, so it is necessary to refer to the manual.
Insert half the length of line into the slit on the bobbin’s bulkhead. Now wind both parts of the fishing line onto the grooves of the reel, leaving 15-20 cm of the length. Insert the remaining length of fishing line through the holes and wind it carefully so that the coils do not overlap.
Fit the trimmer head on the shaft
Insert the bobbin back in and close the cover until the catches click into place. Lock the gear shaft and screw in the original position.
When using a thicker line, choose a trimmer head to match it. Trimmer head models differ in the thickness of the planting shaft and bore, so it’s very important to choose the right size of line for the grass trimmer. If your grass trimmer is powerful, you can use a slightly thicker line on it, because it won’t create a load on the motor.
How to make metal blades for a grass trimmer
Mowing the grass on the garden I bumped into a metal part sticking out of the ground with my trimmer. The result of this “encounter” was a broken tool spool. No spare part, nowhere to buy one, but you have to mow.
I had to be smart and repair the device.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR THIS ARTICLE IS HERE
I thought about and drew a drawing for a new torch (see “The Torch”). Figure. on pp. 18) According to the sketch made from a metal plate necessary details. Assemble the ready assembly and fasten it to the working shaft of the grass trimmer (instead of the spool).
For this purpose press the bush onto it (photo n. 1) with a washer (2) I screwed the knives to the last one with bolts M4 (3) To prevent the mechanism from turning while the shaft is turning, I additionally secured it with a cotter pin (4)
The hole for the cotter pin (4) is better to drill after installing the node on the shaft of the grass trimmer.
If you can’t find a washer of the correct diameter at hand, you can make one from sheet metal [ ! 2-3 mm in thickness. First, drill a hole in the strip, ! equal to the diameter of the tube, and for- important!
With long and repeated use of the tool with such an attachment, it is necessary to monitor the wear of the blade fasteners (bolts) and change the fasteners in time.
Changing the strand on the trimmer
If the grass trimmer spool button lightly strikes the ground, the line for the trimmer does not lengthen, then the preconditions for this happen the following.
Variant 1. jamming occurs, t.е. the filament is caught between the coils. This problem often occurs if the user has wound the line unevenly on the reel, with overlapping turns, or with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at a huge speed under the influence of centrifugal force the cord begins to tighten, under the influence of which you intertwisted line. To solve the problem you have to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, with even coils with good tension.
Option 2.7. very short ends protrude from the head. the line for the trimmer may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends, sticking out of the head, are not long enough (not long enough). There is not enough centrifugal force to stretch a trimmer line. Because it is required to suspend the unit (to shut off the engine as it is also called to disconnect trimmer elektrichesky for grass from the network) and pull the line for the trimmer manually, having previously pressed the button.
Variant 3. the line for the trimmer is soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the reel to freeze and not even spin when the button is pressed. In the main, this happens for several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating the coil during prolonged use of the unit, the impact of the line on solid objects.
- In the beginning, the cord from other manufacturers you like is made of low-quality and fusible materials that do not hold the mechanical and thermal load. Therefore preference should be given to “brand-name” lines.
- If you still caught line for trimmer unknown properties, and it often soldered in its time of operation, then there is a variation of following the example of certain users, who, after filling the cord in the coil lubricate it or silicone grease (from the canister), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of the coils of fishing line soldering to each other.
- Also, the line for the trimmer can melt if, during mowing, it bumps into a hard object (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.).д.). Upon completion, it stretches a little and retracts at high speed back into the head. The friction causes the line to warm and the coils to stick together. The only thing that makes to fix this problem. is to open the coil trimmer for grass and rewind line for trimmer.
The mowing string head is a type of garden grass trimmer actuator. It is designed for mowing grass and structurally represents a special spool (reel) from which the cutting cord (string, line for trimmer) is sticking out in different directions. The string is a consumable item that must be replaced during use. Based on the design and operational features of the grass trimmer, manufacturers equip their products with the most diverse types of heads. from simple manual bobbins to complex automatic bobbins. The more complicated this mechanism is, the more likely it will break. What to do if the spool does not spin, the string does not feed or breaks, as well as with other malfunctions. in the material below.
Installing the blade on the grass trimmer
Before you change the blade on your trimmer, you must unplug it from the mains. If it is a brushcutter. switch off the engine.
- If the grass trimmer has not been used before. Fit a hexagon socket wrench (or a similar socket with a suitable diameter. could be a normal nail) into the hole in the gearbox. This is to prevent the shaft from turning. Unscrew the fastening nut and remove the gear cup from the shaft.
- If mowing head is installed. As in p.1, insert the wrench into the hole in the gearbox. Hold the key and unscrew the mowing head.
- Place the washer on the hub and then the blade. Make sure the lugs are in line with the notches. Then the knife will be properly centered.
- Install the thrust washer and the gear cup on top of the blade.
- Install the fixing nut on the shaft and tighten it counterclockwise. For this you will need a socket wrench.
- Note. so that the nut does not unscrew during operation, most gasoline trimmers have a stud, which is inserted into the hole in the shaft.
Installing the blade on the grass trimmer. video
Here is a video on how to change the blade on your STIHL petrol trimmer. Recall that the installation steps may vary slightly depending on the model. So don’t forget to check the manual!
If the disc on the trimmer is used regularly, it needs to be removed and sharpened or replaced with a new one from time to time. This part can be made of metal or plastic, have a different number of blades, but the replacement process remains the same. over, this procedure is similar for equipment from different manufacturers, whether Carver or Huter, but there may be slight differences. Changing the knife on the trimmer is simple enough if you follow the safety precautions and know the correct procedure, a description of which can be found in the user manual. The whole process of replacement step by step, as well as the method of sharpening the knives themselves, will be described in this material.
First of all, to wind the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific steps will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with a working motor and spool at the bottom usually have side keys on either side of the reel. When you simultaneously press them, the upper part of the spool together with the internal contents for winding the fishing line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is desirable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place, so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and get lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, usually have a reel with a special wing nut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a fixed position, while the other counterclockwise rotate the fixation nut on the rods fixing the reel wing nut. After loosening the nut the entire bobbin is removed.
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with the ability to install a blade on a straight shaft (such as STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the bobbin, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow rotation is used to achieve a relative position where the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is secured. After that the spool body is turned clockwise (with left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, reels, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. If a bobbin with a wing nut is unscrewed, and if a bobbin with a latch is used, the latch catches are pressed and one part of the bobbin is unfastened from the other part. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until the complete uncoupling.
How the line head works on a brushcutter why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above are instructions on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without the spring, t.е. on a manual type head. The principle of dismounting a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of operation of a semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head is a bobbin, which is mounted on slots to prevent it from moving freely
- A spring acts on the reel, which presses it against the slits in the cover structure
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. This length is normally 1 to 4 meters
- During work, if the length of the fishing line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the splines. At the same time the line for the trimmer is reeled off the reel, increasing in length
- After releasing the desired amount of line, you should release the hold-down, and continue mowing the grass
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer is simply torn off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, it is this moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Installation of a metal cable: pros and cons
The most common thing, on the subject of “What to replace the line for the grass trimmer trimmer?”is the use of a steel rope. In fact, in terms of efficiency, the metal rope is much better than the standard version. It has almost no wear and tear, and mows the grass just as well. And yet it is necessary to understand that manufacturers do not just use a polymer line for the trimmer, but not an iron rope.
Unfortunately, the downside of wear and tear is increased wear and tear on the transmission of the lawnmower. Due to the fact that trimmer fishing line tears, it does not overburden the mechanical part of the device, but simply wears out as it is used.
If you wish, you can use a steel wire, but it is important that during the work it does not touch the protective cover in any way. The cable ends should be welded to prevent them from unraveling.
The installation of plastic ties: pros and cons
If you suddenly run out of line for your trimmer while working, and there’s still a lot of work to be done, you don’t have to look for a new one. Plastic clamps can temporarily perform its function. They are pretty tough and can handle almost any weed.
The disadvantage is the rapid wear. The effectiveness of plastic clamps, in such a non-standard application, is also low. Nevertheless, this alternative is always possible.
Range of machines for saw chain repair
A special machine for riveting chainsaw chains is included in the list of working equipment of specialized workshops. The offered range includes several budget and brand-name models of imported production
The riveting machines of the STIHL, Husqvarna and Champion brands are characterized by increased capabilities and a comfortable level of work.
Technically perfect devices provide high quality riveted joints, saving working time and material resources.
Conclusions about efficiency
To summarize, it is worth saying that manufacturers do not just use a special line for the trimmer. It is optimized for use with this tool: Mows the grass well and doesn’t overload the mechanics of the device. If it has run out and there is still a lot of work, it is better to buy a new one. For temporary use, of course, you can install a metal rope, but at the first opportunity it should be changed, for a special line for the trimmer. Otherwise, it will have a detrimental effect on the technical condition of the tool.
You have to choose a line for your trimmer not only by thickness, but also by shape, here’s why: the cord does not cut the stem, but breaks it. The rotating string repeatedly strikes the surface of the stem and finally separates its top. For this kind of work, the shape of the cutting edge is an important technical characteristic.
Conclusions about efficiency
To summarize, it is worth saying that manufacturers do not just use a special line for the trimmer. It is optimal for working with this tool: it mows the grass well and does not overload the mechanics of the device. If it has run out and there is still a lot of work to be done, it is better to buy a new one. For temporary use, of course, you can install a metal rope, but at the first opportunity it should be changed, for a special line for trimmer. Otherwise, it will have a detrimental effect on the technical condition of the tool.
Choose a line for the trimmer not only in thickness, but also in shape, here’s why: the cord doesn’t cut the stem, but breaks it. The rotating string repeatedly strikes the surface of the stem and eventually separates its top. For this type of work, the shape of the cutting edge is an important technical feature.
Types of trimmer heads
A grass mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a spool (bobbin) with a thread (cord) is inserted. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. Heads differ in the way they are threaded and fed, and come in 3 types.
- Automatic. The filament is fed after the user has reduced engine speed. Although automatic line feed is convenient if you perform a large amount of work, but such bobbins have one drawback. high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. This kind of head does not require complex manipulation from the user. The principle is that the cord is pulled in automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the head of the grass trimmer on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for the trimmer due to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, and then cut to the right length by the blade located on the protective cover.
- Manual. Extending the cord requires the machine to stop, after which the trimmer line is pulled by hand.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. Also keep in mind that the grass trimmer reels for grass come in single string (used only for grass trimming) and double string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
Read also: How to change a disk on a circular saw
How to remove and disassemble the spool
Before proceeding to the process of replacing the cord, trimmer users have the need to remove and disassemble the spool. Here’s how to do it.
Grass trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: cover, spring (not in all models), bobbin with cord and cover.
Attention! Before you do any maintenance on an electric machine, it must be disconnected from the mains.
In trimmers most often used 2 options for fixing the mowing head.