- Oil function
- Which is better to choose?
- Replacement Recommendations
It is rare that a private home owner can do without a lawn mower. You may not even have a lawn that needs regular maintenance, but use a lawn mower. This technique, like any other, needs periodic maintenance, for example, an oil change. Each owner of a lawn mower needs to know which liquid can be used for these purposes, how to choose it and pour it into the unit.
Lawn mower lubricant must be carefully selected and high-quality oils preferred. If you save on this consumable liquid, then it will not perform its functions to the full extent, the lawn mower will fail in a short time and will require expensive repairs. The oil used in the lawn mower performs an important task. The following functions are assigned to it:
- lubrication of parts that experience high friction in the process;
- removal of thermal energy from heated parts;
- reduced motor wear;
- minimizing the development of such negative phenomena as deposits of various types, the formation of soot and varnish;
- protection of parts against formation and corrosion;
- reduction in toxicity of exhaust gaseous substances;
- smoke minimization.
The engine of the lawn mower is significantly different from that which is installed in auto and motorcycle equipment. Therefore, lubricating fluids for these units must be used different. Do not replace one oil with another. The implications for technology can be the most unpredictable.
In the engine of a lawnmower, the crankshaft is responsible for the distribution of oil. Fluid is drawn from the crankcase with parts that resemble spoons in shape. The speed of their movement is enormous. Such design features of the motor require the use of oil, which contains high-quality additives. These components reduce the ability of the working fluid to foam and become more viscous from heat.
To choose the right fluid for gardening equipment and always know what to buy, you need to study the existing varieties of oils. First of all, technical oil liquids are separated by chemical composition.
- Mineral oils are created on the basis of oil products. Such liquids are viscous and must change frequently. They are designed for low power motors. Most recommended for summer use.
- Synthetic fluids special synthetic substances containing esters are used as a basis. Viscosity is low, high life and year-round use. no other kind of lubricant can boast such high performance. Such fluids are ideal for complex equipment that is operated in harsh conditions.
- Semi synthetic motor oil It is created from substances of the mineral and synthetic type. Such oils are the middle option between the two previous fluids. Semi-synthetic oils are ideal for gardening and park equipment, two- and four-stroke engines.
There are several more classifications based on different requirements. The most common API classification. It is supported by different countries and many manufacturers. According to this classification, all motor oils are divided into the following varieties:
- TA is the best option for household appliances with engines up to 50 cc. cm;
- TB is intended for equipment with greater power, equipped with a motor capacity of more than 50, but less than 200 cubic meters. cm;
- TC is an oil that is intended for motors with high demands on the quality of the lubricating fluid, such oil can be safely poured into lawn mowers;
- TD is designed for outboard motors that are equipped with liquid cooling.
Due to its 20% solvent composition, the double-contact type oil mixes well with automotive fuel. In addition, such liquids are able to completely burn. Lubricants can be painted in various colors. Staining does not mean oil quality. Its function is different. it is easier for the user to distinguish a lubricant from a fuel.
When choosing oil, great attention should be paid to its manufacturer. It is better to choose the brand advised by the manufacturer of the lawn mower. In the instructions for the technique you can find information about the filled oil, the frequency of its replacement and recommendations regarding the choice of working fluid.
Also, many manufacturers of lawn mowers produce their own oils, which will have to be used to replace if you want to maintain a warranty on the equipment. In addition, the instructions give general characteristics to which the oil must comply. When choosing a fluid to replace, you need to focus on this list. This will allow you to choose the oil that will most closely meet the requirements of the manufacturer.
- Among all the companies that present their products on the Russian market, the best is Shell Helix Ultra. These oils are popular in all countries. Shell experts have been working for 40 years to create a unique technology for producing synthetic-type oils from natural gas. The resulting product is characterized by an improved composition, analogues to which at this moment does not exist. The manufacturer adds the necessary additives to the base composition, which allows to obtain products with different characteristics. Such oil needs to be bought only at specialized points of sale, since base fakes are often found.
- The company also presents quality products. Liqui moly. The manufacturer produces several product lines that have different purposes. This assortment contains products for the maintenance of garden equipment. Such oils are designed for long-term operation of trimmers and lawn mowers, their technical characteristics are developed in accordance with the features of modern technology and manufacturers’ recommendations.
Liqui Moly adds additive packages to lawnmower oils that are needed to reduce equipment wear and keep the engine clean. The main advantage of such fluids is environmental friendliness, because they are created on a plant basis. Liqui Moly Lawnmower Oils comply with all environmental standards.
Video: How to Change Alko’s Lawnmower Oil
Rasenmaher Company produces a good mineral type lubricant that has been specifically developed for garden machines. This tool can be used to service 4-stroke motors with different cooling systems. Rasenmaher can only be used at positive temperatures. The manufacturer carefully developed and selected additives for his product. The result of such actions was a wide list of functionality:
- maintaining the pressure in the system at a stable level;
- effective lubrication of all parts that need it;
- preservation of the viscosity of the lubricant over the full service life, up to the next change;
- providing excellent protection for the engine from natural wear;
- minimum level of evaporation.
Which is better to choose?
Choosing the right mower oil is based on a large number of factors that must be followed. It doesn’t matter if a lubricant is selected for a gasoline or a self-propelled lawn mower, the first oil that comes in cannot be used. It is also forbidden to choose the most expensive oil or the most popular. The lubricant must be fully suited to the requirements of your mower.
- By viscosity the oil is selected in accordance with the temperature conditions that are characteristic for the operation of garden equipment. For summer, when the ambient temperature reaches 30 degrees, it is advisable to use oil from the SAE-30 series. For off-season, it is recommended to use 10W-30 series oil. At low temperatures, Synthetic 5W-30 fluid works well.
- For 2-stroke engines it is necessary to use a mixture of oil and high-octane gasoline in the ratio recommended by the manufacturer of the equipment. Usually the ratio is 1/25. According to these figures, 25 ml of gasoline is added for every milliliter of oil. There are exceptions, so you need to study the instructions for the lawn mower.
- In the case of four-stroke motors mixing liquids is not required. Optimally suitable for such mechanisms is a simple automotive fluid. It can be SAE30, 10W40 or SF. The main thing is that the technical and operational properties are suitable for the list recommended by the manufacturer. For winter use, the fluid must be chosen with frost-resistant properties.
You can not experiment and use oil that is not suitable for an existing motor. There is a huge difference between the fluids that are used for different types of motors. For example, a four-stroke type engine fluid should retain its composition for a long time. Oil for two-stroke engines should have a minimum amount of mineral components, which will prevent the formation of soot.
It is important not only to choose high-quality oil, which in its characteristics will be suitable for your equipment. You also need to know how to properly fill it in a lawn mower. The rules are simple, but binding:
- turn on the unit and warm the engine idle for a quarter of an hour;
- remove the cork from the tank and substitute the capacity of the required volume to collect the spent liquid;
- tilt the lawn mower and drain the waste material;
- We twist the cork, put the unit on the most even surface. After that, you can open the hole on top;
- we fill in a new working fluid, observing the recommendations of the manufacturer of the equipment regarding the volume, it is convenient to check the fluid level with a dipstick;
- when the amount of fluid has reached the desired volume, you can twist the plug.
In most cases, about 500 ml of fresh oil should be used to replace waste fluid. This norm corresponds to most of the units that are common in Russia. Exceptions, of course, are encountered, so you need to study the instructions before performing a replacement of waste fluid.
If your lawnmower is equipped with a two-stroke engine, and this indicates the need to mix the lubricating fluid with gasoline, you must do this immediately before replacing. It is impossible to make such a composition with a margin, because due to a chemical reaction the mixture loses its properties. The approximate shelf life is not more than a month. Only components from such actions will be spoiled.
See the next video for how to change the oil in the mower.
- Preparation and setup
- Tools and materials
- Removing old oil
- Tank filling
Lawn maintenance starts with a well-maintained lawn mower, which means that there are certain tasks that must be constantly performed to keep the machine in perfect working condition. One of the most important aspects of owning a lawn mower is knowing how to change the oil.
Preparation and setup
The location of the mower is important when preparing this machine for an oil change. Because of the likelihood of leakage, it is better not to do such work on the grass or next to flower beds, as oil droplets can adversely affect plant life. Choose a hard, flat surface, such as a roadway or sidewalk, and be sure to use plastic wrap so that oil droplets and stains remain on this protective film.
A good rule of thumb before changing grease is to start the mower for one or two minutes to warm up the engine a bit. Then you will have much less trouble removing the old grease. It is also useful to take precautions when working with the mower after turning it on, as the likelihood of burns to the engine will increase, for example. Work gloves are recommended to reduce the risk of personal injury.
And finally, you can disconnect the spark plug wire from the spark plug itself and take it away to avoid accidentally starting the engine. And also make sure that the pump (pump) is turned off. The final step in your preparation should also include cleaning the area around the oil filler hole., to prevent foreign particles or dirt from entering the oil tank.
Tools and materials
You may need tool kit:
- oil container;
- clean, dry rags, napkins or towels;
- socket wrench with corresponding socket;
- empty plastic containers (household with lids);
- machine oil;
- set of wrenches;
- syringe for pumping;
Removing old oil
Removing old grease is one of the most important steps in the process. You can use three methods to make sure that you remove a large amount of old oil.
- Use a siphon. Insert one end of the tube into the dipstick hole to measure the oil level until it reaches the bottom of the oil reservoir. Place the other end of the siphon in a structurally sturdy container that you will specifically use for this and future grease changes. Finally, place wooden blocks or other durable material under the wheels of the mower on the opposite side of the fill hole. It is easier to remove almost all of the oil in a tilted mower.
- Remove the oil plug. Depending on the type of gas mower, you can remove the oil plug to drain the old grease. Refer to the user manual to locate your drain plug and make sure you have the right size socket wrench to operate. After installing the wrench on the plug, remove it. When the oil drains completely, you can replace the plug.
- Use a special tool such as a syringe to pump out and fill the oil tank. This is very convenient when the tank opening is too narrow, and it is inconvenient or impossible to fill new oil from the bottle. The syringe can easily pass through the hole to pump out old used oil.
- Tilt method. If you don’t have access to the oil tank, you can drain it by tilting the mower to the side. When tilting the mower, install the filler cap on the container that you use to collect the used oil. After proper positioning, remove the filler cap and let the oil drain completely. Using this method, you must know exactly what fuel level the mower is. It is also important to note where the air filter is located so as not to contaminate it with drain oil.
Now that the old oil has been removed, it’s time to fill the tank with fresh grease. Refer to the lawnmower manual again to find out what type of oil is suitable for your machine and how much oil to fill.
Fill the oil tank. Allow the oil to stand for at least two minutes, and then check the level with a dipstick to ensure that it is filled correctly.
After the oil tank is filled to the proper level, you will need to re-secure the spark plug wire. Do not turn on the mower immediately; let the machine stand for several minutes before starting work.
Next, watch a video on how to change oil in a 4-stroke engine mower.