Engine oils for power tillers. types and characteristics
A modern single-axle tractor consists of many mechanisms, which require lubricant to work properly and smoothly. On the quality and properties of the latter depends not only on the durability of the elements of the unit, but also the effectiveness of its use in certain conditions.
The motor is called the “heart” of a power tiller for a reason. It is the condition of the first that largely determines the performance of the machine. The engine, in its turn, cannot work without proper choice of engine oil.
The latter performs several important functions at once:
- cools engine of a power tiller under heavy loads
- it lubricates the rubbing parts of the engine;
- cleans the internal engine cavities from blockages;
- tightens the fuel mixture and makes it of higher quality.
During the operation of an air-cooled engine, the lubricant used evaporates and accumulates on the surface of the hot cylinder. As a result, oil, along with fuel, turns into smoky exhaust gases. All products of fuel combustion that gather on the parts of a power tiller considerably complicate its lubrication. To prevent this, many companies-manufacturers of motor blocks advise to use special antioxidants together with lubricant, whose task is to clean engine parts from harmful deposits.
All commercially available motor oils are classified according to the SAE system.
According to this system, the following lubricants can be distinguished on the market:
- summer oils. these products are intended mainly for application in summer. They are of high viscosity and are not marked with any letter symbol on the package. These formulations include SAE 20, SAE 30 and SAE 40;
- winter oils. materials of this type are used for lubricating engines of power tillers and tractors in winter. They are characterized by low viscosity and the presence of the letter W in the label, which stands for “Winter. Winter oils include formulations SAE 0W, SAE 10W, SAE 20W;
- All-season oils. these formulations are in the highest demand. They are universal, since they can be successfully used both in winter and summer. They are marked twice on the package. These oils include 5W-30 and 10W-40.
To choose an oil for a power trimmer, you should also consider its composition.
Manufacturers produce lubricants for engines with these compositions:
You can also find oils on the market for both 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines. Most modern power tillers are equipped with 4-stroke engines with built-in air cooling systems. You should only use 4-stroke oil in such engines.
A forced-air cooled motor heats up considerably more than an actively water cooled one. single axle tractors with this cooling system require oil with high thermal-oxidative stability and fairly low volatility. Besides, the oil used for engine lubrication has to conform to all known modern requirements for environmental friendliness, in other words, it has to comply with the permissible level of toxic exhaust gases and smoke.
Oil for a diesel power tiller. what to remember when choosing?
According to API standards, lubricating compositions are divided into three types. for gasoline engines, for diesel engines and universal oils, which can also be used for all types of internal combustion engines.
If gasoline for a motor-block is used for fueling, in that case for the lubrication of the engine one should buy motor oil, the package of which has a two-letter marking. The first oil must necessarily be the letter S, and the next one must be one of the letters A, B, C, F, G, H or J. If diesel fuel is used for a motorblock, then in order to lubricate the engine, you should buy oil, on the package of which the letter C is necessarily shown first.
Universal motor oils are marked with double lettering, which indicates the possibility of using them for the lubrication of both types of internal combustion engines. Such engine oils, for example, may be marked as SG/CD or SF/CC.
A gearbox is a special device that is part of the construction of any power tiller. It is this part that is responsible for converting and transmitting the torque that comes from the mechanical gears. In fact, it is the gearbox that drives the single-axle tractor and makes it work.
On its quality, as well as on the correct lubrication of its components, will depend on the service life of the whole motoblock, as well as its normal functioning.
For more information on the gearbox, see
Depending on the model of power tiller, be it Caiman, Patriot Ural, Patriot, Texas, Pro Arab or any other, gearboxes may differ from each other by some design features. Conventionally, gearboxes can be divided into several types:
- Gearboxes. In this case, the gearbox act as a kind of intermediary between the engine and the wheelbase of the power tiller.
- Reducing gears. These units achieve an increase in power output while reducing the total number of revolutions. These gearboxes are preferred because they are designed with an air cooling system to operate at maximum loads.
- Reverse gearboxes. The main advantage of such reducers is the possibility of reversing the motoblock. However, units equipped with this type of gearbox do not show high performance and speeds.
Regardless of which particular gearbox is used in the design of a motoblock, they all consist of almost the same components:
- The gearbox housing;
- Flange and its mounting;
- Pulley with V-belt transmission (or chain pulley)
- ball bearing;
- drain plug;
- steel washer and nut;
- input shaft.
These components traditionally make up the gearbox itself. How well they are lubricated will determine their performance and service life.
Otherwise, with insufficient lubrication, the parts will wear heavily, because they come into contact with each other during operation, and the resulting friction negatively affects their surface.
What kind of oil is poured
Many people wonder what kind of oil to pour into the gearbox of a power tiller? To answer this question you need to take into account several factors, the main of which is the manufacturer’s recommendation regarding the type of oil.
It is also necessary to be guided by the price, not buying very cheap liquids, because they are unlikely to be of good quality.
No matter how reliable the original snowmobile caterpillars may be, sooner or later with active use of the machine it becomes necessary to replace them. Here is everything about the tracks for the snowmobile from the company “Composite”.
An indispensable helper in the fight against pests is a garden sprayer. By following this link you can read about gasoline backpack garden sprayer.
MAZ-5337 appeared in the second half of the eighties. MAZ-5337 is a multipurpose, powerful and very reliable truck.
In the store you should also pay attention to the oil viscosity grade, which is indicated on the package. In addition, there are special additives. substances that enhance the useful properties of a grease.
In general, oils can be of many different types:
- SAE. These types of oils cope very well with sharp temperature fluctuations, so they can be used all year round.
- The process of selection is as follows: you should look at the number in front of the letter W. a smaller value will indicate that the oil is very well adapted to low temperatures (the smallest one is 0W). If the letter W is absent from the marking, such oil is suitable for summer period.
- API. In this case, the letters in the marking will indicate the type of engine. gasoline or diesel. Correspondingly, a certain letter will say that the oil is suitable for gasoline units, and another for diesel units.
- The numbers will tell you the type of engine, t.е. Number 4 means the oil should be used for 4-stroke engines, etc.д. The EC value is the extent to which it conserves energy, i.e.е. The higher the value, the higher the quality of the oil.
- ASEA. The highest number in the marking will tell you that the oil can function in very difficult conditions.
- GOST 17479, 1-85. These values describe the oil’s viscosity grade. As a rule, letter and number values are written after this parameter, and their absence indicates that the oil is universal.
Transmission oils for gasoline and diesel engines
As for the gearbox, you need to use gear oils to fill it up. For example, a good choice would be a semi-synthetic oil ZIC 10W40, designed for gasoline and diesel power tillers. API. SM/CF, ACEA. A3/B3, A3/B4, C3.
As a rule, the oil is sold in a 4-liter package,
Another decent oil is Super T-3 85W-90 from Gazpromneft. Its technical data will be as follows:
- API rating. GL-5;
- viscosity grade. 85W90;
- temperature index of loss of fluidity280C;
- flash point. 2170C;
- Pack length. 270 mm;
- package width. 130 mm
- package height. 240 mm.
This gear oil is also supplied in a 4-liter container,
This is not the whole list of oils that can be poured into the gearbox of a motoblock. In principle, anyone familiar with the basic parameters of the oil, can independently determine the right one for his/her power tiller.
Oil choice peculiarities
The main criterion for choosing gear oil is the list of transmission specifications and the manufacturer’s recommendations. Each vehicle has its own section in the owner’s manual, which specifies which lubricant designation the machine manufacturer advises to choose. If you use a fluid that is lower in the category according to the API table, the machine will wear out and break down faster. On the other hand, if you opt for gear oil, located in a gradation above the recommended, it will not lead to any practical advantages. First of all, the owner will have to significantly overpay, since the cost of such products is much higher.
If there are no special indications, it is worth selecting gear oil according to the technical characteristics as follows.
- For trucks.The operation of the installations present in commercial vehicles, where there are no hypoid gears, will be effective if an oil not lower than GL-3 is used. On the other hand, there are some exceptions. For example, a light GAZelle needs only GL-5 oil, and not only the rear axle, but also the gearbox. When selecting the characteristics of gear oil for models with hypoid gears, regardless of the technical complexity of the design, the choice comes down to products labeled GL-5. Application of a lower grease in the hierarchy leads to insufficiently good protection of the hypoid pair from scratches and chips.
- For passenger cars.In passenger cars, the situation is slightly different. In the driving axles pour synthetic gear oil class GL-5, for manual transmissions requires the fourth class. Before making the purchase, the owner must remember that GL-4 oils are not produced in the Russian Federation. Imported products of this level are more expensive than Russian lubricants having GL-5 standard.
When selecting a gearbox semi-synthetic oil, you should check its viscosity beforehand. Consideration should be given to the following. Lubricant with viscosity of 24 sq. mm/s at a temperature of one hundred degrees Celsius, is preferable for replacement if the vehicle is operated in a southern, hot climate. If the vehicle is operated at moderate atmospheric temperatures, it is preferable to use products with index 90. When choosing transmission oil for automatic gearboxes one should pay attention to the products with indices 75/80/85W-90. The latter category may not be suitable for use in harsh winter conditions. Gearbox oil with index 75 lets you forget about troubles related to the problematic work of the gearbox, even at.40 degrees.
API specification is taken as a basis. Oil liquids are categorized in the following way.
|GL-1||Mineral without additives|
|GL-2||Products containing fatty compounds||Industrial gears, gears of conveyors, machine tools, production machines|
|GL-3||Added anti-wear components||Manual transmissions, drive axles, truck transmissions|
|GL-4||Added anti-seize components.||Manual transmissions, drive axles, truck transmissions|
|GL-5||Complete list of protective additives||Manual and automatic transmissions of passenger cars.|
Installing and changing of belts
|Dimensions of belts for Oka motor-block and its modifications|
|Power transmission belt for forward travel:||A-1180 vn I GOST 1284.1-89;A-1213 I GOST 1284.2-89.|
|Power transmission belt for reversing:||Z(0) 1400 I or Z(0) 1400 in I GOST 1284.1-89.|
Belts are removed manually by loosening the adjusting bolt. The belts are replaced by analogous ones, appropriate in width and length. It is advisable to buy spare parts, t.ч. You should buy your power tool belt and belt drive belt at specialty stores. These stores work directly with manufacturing plants.
Video overview of replacing the belts motoblock:
How do you know whether to tighten the belt??
If you press down on the belt with your hand, it should only sag slightly as you press. If they sag, the engine will hum, and there may even be blue smoke from overheating. Worn belts recessed in belt cells need to be replaced. First remove the nuts that hold the belt frame together. Next, use the adjusting bolt to tension the belts, periodically checking the degree of tension by hand.
Advantages of Oka Moto-Blocks
“Oka” is a professional machine designed for medium and small farms. The machine, which is perfectly compatible with various attachments, is capable of performing a fairly wide range of site work, load transportation and snow removal. Owners note the following advantages as the most valuable for themselves:
- The economy of the engine;
- Reduced noise when working with a motorblock;
- Complete with a trailer. the possibility of using it as a vehicle, developing speeds of up to 10 km/h;
- Sufficient power to handle difficult soils and virgin land;
Design features include a four-stroke engine, gearbox, steering, clutch and two wheels, which can be replaced by tillers to cultivate the soil.
In this video you will learn the pros and cons of this power tiller:
What oil to fill in the Neva motoblocs
The quality of the lubricating fluid in the engine block is gradually deteriorating and becomes worthless. Along with this process comes engine wear and tear. To prevent the wear process, you need to change the lubricants in a timely manner. The manual says the recommended brand and specifies the amount of it. When buying, its viscosity level and quality classification must be taken into account. For the Neva power tiller it is necessary to buy oil for gearbox and engine.
The single-axle tractor Neva is equipped with different engines. They require different brands and qualities of lubricants. You should fill the engine with it according to its viscosity and category.
If a machine with a Honda engine is purchased for a land plot, it can be filled with SAE brand 10W-30 in summer and winter. For Lifan engines the same multi-purpose agent is good. Subaru makes its own lubricants for its equipment. For a Subaru engine, you need to buy the grease of the same company. Its brand is Ow20. It is suitable for winter and summer conditions. It is permissible to fill it with 5w-30 of the same manufacturer instead.
Briggs Stratton engines are filled with summer engine oil SAE 10W-30. For winter conditions SAE 5W-30 is good. It consumes more oil than other engines, so you need to check the level more often. Add more lubricant as needed.
Gearbox is an important part of your power tiller. For proper operation it is necessary to fill the gearbox of a Neva motoblock with good quality oil, change it periodically. Such oils include TEP-15 and TM-5. Its volume is 2.2 liters. Used fluid in the hot state is drained through a special hole and fill with fresh. These types are suitable for MB-1 devices. When changing the oil, place the unit in an upright position and place a container underneath to catch the used oil.
On a newly purchased machine the first change is made after 30 hours of operation, then. every 180-200 hours.
If a single-axle tractor is used for work infrequently, replace it at least every two years. You must fill Neva MB-2 with TAP-15B oil; TAD-17I may be used instead.
Need to know when to change the oil. It is necessary to check its level in the newly purchased machine. Some blocks are sold without lubricant. If necessary, you can refill the oil and run the unit in for 20-25 hours. Then replace after 100-250 hours. See manual for timing.
How to change oil in your power tiller
Changing the oil in the cylinders of a motoblock on a hot engine. This applies to actions for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines. Warmed up spent mixture drains well into a substituted container. The following steps:
- unscrew the breather plug;
- Drain used oil;
- Pour in a fresh one;
- Screw in the breather plug;
- Check the unit’s operation.
Lubricant in the cylinders of motor blocks of different designs is replaced in the following order:
- the gasoline single-axle tractor is placed horizontally;
- screwdriver is used to remove the plug from the tank;
- drain the used oil;
- the plug is screwed in;
- pour fresh oil into the box;
- the filler plug is closed.
You can drain the oil and fill it up in 15-20 minutes. If you replace the used oil with a low-quality product, you will have problems leading to equipment repairs. This applies to engine lubrication and gearbox oil. Lubricants age and require timely, high-quality replacement. After how many hours you can fill up the car oil, it is written in the manufacturer’s instructions. Read it to buy an expensive unit to help for a longer period of time.
Used lubricating fluid is disposed in special points.
Few people can be surprised to find a power tiller in the private household, because this technical device has been known since Soviet times. Thanks to it, it became possible to quickly and qualitatively cultivate the soil, which previously took quite a long time, and also took a lot of effort.
But to use your single axle tractor properly, you need to use it properly in order to serve you with what is called faith and trustworthiness, ploughing regularly and performing its other functions.
In particular, it is necessary to know how much oil to pour into the gearbox of a motoblock, so that it works in optimal mode, and its parts are not worn out from the lack of necessary lubrication.
In principle, all the necessary information, as a rule, is indicated in the instruction manual for a particular model of power tiller, where the brands and grades of recommended oils are directly indicated.
However, there are cases when a single-axle tractor is purchased on hand, or otherwise, but the point is that such power tillers are mostly delivered without any instructions.
A man may be at a loss, not knowing what kind of oil is poured into the motoblock gearbox, so it will be useful for him to know about its main types, as well as ways of pouring it into a single-axle tractor.
How to change oil in a power tiller
Changing the oil in the cylinders of a motor block on a hot engine. This applies to actions for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines. The heated spent mixture drains well into a substituted container. Next steps:
- unscrew the breather plug;
- Drain used oil;
- refill with a fresh one;
- screw in the breather plug;
- check the operation of the unit.
Lubricant in the cylinders of power tillers of different designs is replaced in the following order:
- the gasoline single axle tractor is placed horizontally
- Use a screwdriver to remove the plug on the tank;
- drain the used oil;
- the plug is screwed in;
- pour fresh oil into the box;
- close the filler plug.
Drain the oil and pour in fresh oil in 15-20 minutes. If used oil is replaced with low-quality products, problems will occur, leading to equipment repairs. This applies to lubricating the engine and the oil in the gearbox. Lubricants age and need to be replaced in good time. After how many hours you can pour the car oil, written in the manufacturer’s instructions. You need to read it so that the expensive machine you buy will help for a longer period of time.
Used lubricating oil is disposed at special points.
Availability of a power tiller in the personal economy can hardly surprise anyone, because this technical device has been known since the Soviet times. It makes it possible to cultivate the soil quickly and well. something that used to be quite time-consuming and labor-intensive.
However, in order for your single-axle tractor to serve you faithfully, regularly plowing the land and performing its other functions, you need to operate it properly.
In particular, you need to know how much oil to pour into the gearbox of your motoblock, so that it works in optimal mode, and its parts do not wear out from the lack of necessary lubrication.
In principle all necessary information is usually given in a specific power tiller user manual, where brands and types of recommended oils are listed directly.
However, there are cases when a single-axle tractor is purchased on hand, or otherwise, but the point is that such power harvesters are mostly delivered without any instructions.
A person can be at a loss, not knowing what kind of oil is poured into the gearbox of a motoblock, so it will be useful for him to know about its main types, as well as ways of pouring it into a single-axle tractor.
Gearbox is a special device included in the construction of any power tiller. It is this part that is responsible for converting and transmitting the torque that is generated from the mechanical gears. In fact, it’s the gearbox that powers a single-axle tractor, making it run.
On its quality, as well as on the correct lubrication of its components, will depend on the operating life of the whole motoblock, as well as its normal functioning.
For more information about the gearbox, see
Depending on the model of power tiller, whether it is Caiman, Patriot Ural, Patriot, Texas, Pro Arab or any other, gearboxes may differ from each other by some design features. Conditionally, reducers can be divided into several types:
- Gearboxes. In this case, the gearbox transmission acts as a kind of intermediary between the engine and the wheelbase of the power tiller.
- Reduction gear units. These units achieve an increase in power indicators, reducing the total number of revolutions. Such reducers are most preferable because they have an air cooling system that allows to work at maximum loads.
- Reverse gear reducers. The main advantage of such reducers is the ability to reverse the motoblock. However, units equipped with this type of gearbox do not show high performance and speeds.
Regardless of which particular gearbox is used in the design of a motoblock, they all consist of virtually the same components:
- The gearbox housing;
- flange and its mounting;
- pulley with V-belt transmission (or chain);
- ball bearing;
- drain plug;
- A steel washer and nut;
- input shaft.
These components traditionally make up the gearbox itself. How well lubricated they are, will determine their performance and service life.
Otherwise, insufficient lubrication leads to excessive wear because they come into contact with one another during operation and the friction generated impairs their appearance.
Change oil in the gearbox of a MotoBlock by yourself
Every planter gearbox needs oiling just as much as the original engine. The gearbox is originally a complex structure consisting of several gears responsible for transmitting power from the engine to the working elements of the agricultural machine. During operation the gears are in constant contact with each other, which leads to gradual abrasion of their teeth. To slow down this process, you need to use a quality lubricant.
To check the level of lubricant contained in the gearbox at a certain point in time, you can do the following:
- Clean a 70-cm piece of wire, which will act as a dipstick;
- Bend the homemade dipstick into an arc;
- Slide the wire through the fill hole in the gearbox all the way and pull it out.
If the oil spot is within 30 cm of the bottom edge of the dipstick, you do not need to add oil. If this is not the case, you must add the missing fluid.
Change the grease in a cold motoblock gearbox only if it has been found to turn a dark, almost black color. Another indicator of the need for urgent replacement is a large amount of foreign particles and solid fractions in the grease.
How to choose gear oil for a power tiller?
The following factors should be considered when selecting lubricant:
- Lubricating ability. this is the main parameter of any, including the branded gear oil for the used motobloc. It is necessary to protect friction parts of a gearbox. gears and bearings from formation of burrs, grooves and staining. Increasing the viscosity of the oil increases its lubricity. Another way to improve this parameter is to add various additives to the fluid. The viscosity of the grease used directly affects its ability to cover gearbox parts with a strong oily film. At the same time the viscous fluid thickens quickly at low temperatures, losing its ability to protect the elements of the mechanism;
- Resistance to thermal oxidation. this property is responsible for the oil’s stable performance at very high temperatures. For this purpose the producers add special antioxidant additives to the fluid composition;
- Corrosion protection. the formulations of many branded lubricants for power tillers contain corrosion inhibitors. Their main function is to prevent rust spots on the moving parts of the gearbox;
- Resistant to foaming. for this purpose foaming agents are added to the oils, which prevent the foaming of the fluids during operation.
ZIC 10W-40 and Gazpromneft Super T-3 85W-90 fluids have worked well in any weather and operating conditions. These oils are distinguished by a wide range of operating temperatures, as well as a high viscosity level and m.
Is it necessary to add oil to gasoline for a power tiller?
Fuel for a power tiller can be pure, or it may be necessary to prepare a fuel mixture. It all depends on the type of engine. For two-stroke engines, gasoline for a power tiller must be diluted with oil. In this case, you should clearly observe the proportions recommended by the manufacturers (often this proportion looks like 1 part of oil to 4 parts of gasoline). Four-stroke engines do not require such a mixture and are filled with pure gasoline.
It is also important to note that motoblocs that run on diesel, in no case need such mixtures (all diesel engines are 4-stroke). Otherwise it may end up in a serious machine breakdown.
Can I put motor oil in a single axle tractor??
It’s not worth the risk and pour automotive oils into a single axle tractor, because the engines of cars and power tillers have different lubrication principles and operating temperature regimes. Also, motoblock engines have other peculiar qualities (design, material of which it is made, degree of forcing, etc. д.), which may not be compatible with the characteristics of automotive oils.