How to wind the line on the trimmer correctly
Garden trimmer. A useful tool that makes life much easier for any gardener or owner of a private house. The grass just rushes in the summer, especially after the rains, so you can’t go anywhere without it. But over time, sooner or later, the line in it will end, and it will be necessary to insert a replaceable skein of new line. Some summer residents are at a dead end. How to do it yourself correctly? So our article will help them.
Change the line to a trimmer
This article will be able to tell you how to change the line for a trimmer. For some people, this job may NOT be easy. But the step-by-step instructions that are available here will help you in this matter.
So the first thing to do is remove the gear cover. We combine the hole on the side of the figured lower washer and the axial recess, insert a screwdriver to fix the shaft from scrolling. Now unscrew the nozzle. The thread on the shaft, as a rule, has a reverse thread, take this into account when loosening.
Next, disassembly of the nozzle follows. There, the cover is fixed with latches through the holes. So you just need to sink these latches into the holes, and the cover will come off. If the nozzles have automatic / semi-automatic line feeding modes, it means that there is a spring inside that can simply fly out when the cover is opened, be prepared for this. All removed parts are laid out neatly in order.
Now it’s time to take the fishing line and unwind 5 meters from it, cut off this piece. Pay attention to its thickness, do not wind the line on the unit with a greater thickness than specified in the manual for the tool. Otherwise, there will be an increased load on the engine and a greater fuel consumption during operation. We bend the measured line in half to find the middle and get a loop.
There are a couple of notches in the middle of the coil, sometimes they are NOT notches, but holes, located opposite each other. With a loop we cling to one of the notches and wind the fishing line counterclockwise. If the reels have 2 compartments, then we wind each end of the fishing line on them separately. We leave the last 15-20 cm free and clamp them while in the recess of the coil.
We assemble the device again, pull the free ends of the fishing line into the holes on the body. We put on the lid, snapping the latches into their grooves. Now you can pull out these loose ends of the line.
It remains only to attach the working node in place, as in the first paragraph. Do not forget the reverse rotation for screwing.
Now you can learn how to wind the line around the trimmer. Actually, the whole process was detailed above. No time-consuming operations requiring the presence of specialists. Your lawn mower is ready for use again.
Automatic line winding to a spool
There is a variety of coils in which the automatic mechanism winds itself. From the user, it is enough just to correctly fill the line. The fishing line is passed through a hole on the inner part of the body, its antennae without winding are passed through the hole on the outer body, the reel is assembled, and when the winding button is rotated, the fishing line inside is wound independently. It is impossible to make the winding wrong in such a spool: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only spin in one direction.
How to change line for gasoline trimmers. We wind the fishing line
Unhurriedly completed disassembly of the spool spool without losing its spare parts allows you to proceed to the main task. Winding the line into a reel. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
Coil with two working tendrils
In this type of spool, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line, lying on the inside of the spool:
- One groove. Both tendrils are wound together in one groove;
- Two grooves. Each tendril is wound on an individual groove.
For both cases, a line with a length of 2-3 m is taken.In single-groove reels, the line is pulled into a through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, after which they are wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin onto the rod side. The inside arrow usually indicates the correct winding direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through them or held with the fingers of the free hand, threaded through the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the spool is closed and attached to the trimmer bar.
The difference between winding the fishing line in double-groove spools is that initially a 2-5 m long line piece is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the fold loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound each along its own groove, fixing the antennae and assembling the coil is similar to the above-described option with one groove.
The first execution of this procedure, perhaps, will seem long and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The following will clearly show you how to thread the line into the trimmer spool and wind it correctly. This operation is NOT complicated and, with some patience, will surely be crowned with success:
Coil with one working tendril
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the spool and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 2.5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the spool.
- The line is wound on the drum in the reverse rotation of the spool in the direction of the trimmer. As a rule, on the inside of the bobbin, an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- A small section of the line is left free to lead it out. It is fixed in a specialized groove on the inner side of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin into working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the reel.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
First of all, to wind the line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the trimmer. Specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of product itself:
- Small electric trimmers with a working position of the motor and coil at the bottom, as a rule, have side buttons on both sides of the bobbin. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the spool together with the inner content for winding the line is disconnected, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does NOT jump out and does NOT get lost;
- Electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have spools with special lambs: in such designs, hold the spool in a stationary position with one hand, and with the other counterclockwise rotate the wing nut fixing the Bobbin on the bar. After disconnecting the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- Electric and gasoline trimmers with the ability to install a knife on a straight Bar (for example, Stihl trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To keep the rod stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and, with slow rotation, such a mutual arrangement is achieved when the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is fixed. After that, the coil body is scrolled clockwise (with a left-hand thread) and removed from the trimmer.
For the second and third options, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In the bobbins, a lamb is unscrewed from the lamb, in the coils, the latches are pressed from the latch and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
What you need to know about trimmer line
A fishing line is called a consumable, which consists of nylon, and serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, grass slopes occur, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has different thicknesses, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools, electric low-power (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2-2.4 mm) and gasoline trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3 , 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting tool should be. This not only affects the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it is time to change and recharge the tool. With the onset of spring, this issue is becoming more and more in demand, so it’s time to understand the Step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the trimmer reel.
Method 2. How to properly put the line on the reel of lawn mowers with a photo description and
The second method differs from the first in that the reel is loaded NOT with a single piece of equipment, but with two-piece pieces. Manufacturers use this method, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into the mowers’ guidance is the same as in the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If not, then the second option will NOT work. The appearance of THESE brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The fishing line should be hooked onto the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is reeled up until a segment of 10-15 cm remains, which is fixed in the corresponding holes on the side of the aiming
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the coil, the cover with the latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in the lawnmower will help you not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. The instruction is presented below.
How to change the line to an electric trimmer
Since we considered the choice of a trimmer in a previous article, today we will tell you how to properly fill the trimmer with a fishing line, and which one is better to choose Based on the working conditions.
After you bought a trimmer and began to actively use it, sooner or later the question of replacing the fishing line will arise, since this is the most wearing out element in the tool, intensive use of the trimmer will lead to frequent replacement of consumables.
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two compartments. Top and bottom. In the first type, the dividing face does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. Best of all is inaccurate in the middle, and in such a way that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the reel, the other half. In the lower part.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction in which the arrow points to the bobbin. When winding, you need to keep the threads so that they are NOT intertwined and the upper half is wound into the upper part of the spool, and the lower half. To the bottom. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin for securing consumables. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these recesses so that they are fixed one opposite the other.
- The final stage of filling consumables into the tool. The ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumables one by one to remove them from the grooves in the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. They must exit freely through the holes in the head.
- Presses the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. The head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. Line tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
How to remove or tuck the line into the trimmer
In order to wind the line, it will take about 10-15 minutes. What is a trimmer coil? Plastic body with a cassette inside, on which there is a special hook for easy winding of the fishing line.
Almost all trimmer reels have a similar fastening principle, this is a central screw-button, when pressed, it becomes possible to stretch the line of the required length. The photo below shows a few examples of different trimmer spools.
The bobbins of the trimmers, the motor of which is located in the ground itself, have a different attachment to the axis of rotation, they have two buttons on the coil on the sides, which must be wrung out, otherwise the whine replacement is NOT different from other cassettes.
The principle of correct winding of the fishing line is similar in all of the above cases, therefore, for example, consider the standard version with two tendrils.
To remove the spool with the fishing line, it is necessary to Unscrew, located in the center, the screw, but Note that the thread is left there, so it will have to turn clockwise, this was done on purpose so that during operation It does not open under the influence of centrifugal force.
Next, using a screwdriver, disassemble the head and remove the spool onto which the fishing line is directly wound.
Having measured the required length and folded in half, you need to tuck the fishing line into the spool.We bring out, in total, its ends opposite each other (for this there are special slots for fixing).
After that, it is necessary to assemble the head in the reverse order, threading the ends of the cord into two corresponding holes.
If in doubt or it is not entirely clear how to load the line on the trimmer, we recommend that you look at: how to properly wind the line into the lawn mower.
In thiss in detail, step by step, the instructor will open the trimmer head, measure the required amount of fishing line, as a rule, it is from two to four meters, and demonstrate assembly and installation on the trimmer.
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. Get a victory over them without undue effort will help the trimmer. This is an incredibly useful device. An indispensable assistant in trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true of those tools in which NOT a knife, but a fishing line acts as a cutting element.
How does the head with a fishing line work for lawn mowers why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally Not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.e. On the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above described instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic coil trimmer is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, preventing its free movement
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the splines in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is 1 to 4 meters
- During the performance of work, if necessary, the length of the line is increased, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the fishing line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure, and continue working on the grass slope
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, in comparison with metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, and does not have a negative effect on the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and arrangement of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.