How to choose a disc for concrete for an angle grinder How to choose discs for an angle grinder and attachments, what are their types, what is the difference between discs for metal, wood, stone, concrete, as well as types of attachments.
Tool Grinding Discs and Roughing Bits for Angle Grinder
Among this type of attachments, in order to expand the functionality of the angle grinder, three types of twisted cutters, abrasive grinding discs and diamond roughing ones stand out significantly.
- Twisted cutters are used for roughing metal and stone surfaces when it comes to removing old paint or overwhelmingly dried cement mortar, then you can hardly find a better replacement tool. It is made in the form of steel cups, along the perimeter of which wire brushes are installed. The size of the wire can be different depending on the roughness of the cutter can be equipped with both thick and thin wire.
- Abrasive grinding wheels. Such nozzles are designed for rough metal processing with their help to clean welded seams and sharpen all kinds of cutting tools. As a rule, such attachments are most widely used on small angle grinders, this is due to ease of use. Such a nozzle can be distinguished from cut-off wheels by thickness and shape, their inner part has a depression, which allows the sharpening process to be performed with the flat part of the circle, and the thickness cannot be less than 5 mm.
Diamond roughing discs. In principle, they are somewhat similar to abrasive sharpeners. Only in contrast to them, processing with a diamond tool of this type can be performed only by the periphery of the disk, on which the cutting edges are located. In contrast to its sharpening counterpart, a rough diamond is not intended for working with metals, its strong point is roughing concrete, stone and similar materials. If we are talking about removing a small section of cement screed, then it will not work to come up with something better than this diamond.
In general, one way or another, and discs for an angle grinder can significantly increase the functionality of an angle grinder. In modern construction and other spheres of life, it is very difficult to find any industry where an angle grinder is not used, together with a huge number of all kinds of attachments, it is a truly universal tool.
The author of the article is Mikhail Korneev
How to choose a concrete disc for an angle grinder
Agree, it is always more convenient to have one universal tool at hand than several specialized ones, the issue of transporting a huge amount of rarely used rubbish is immediately solved. Instead of carrying around a lot of all kinds of tools, craftsmen transport a small set of them. The most versatile tool in this regard can be called an angle grinder. With its help, using different discs or attachments, you can carry out a fairly wide range of all kinds of operations. The angle grinder is capable of cutting almost any material, regardless of its strength, grinding, polishing, sharpening, stripping in general, performing all types of work for which rotational movements can be used. It is these nozzles that will be discussed in this article, in which, together with the website stroisovety.Org, we will study all the available discs for an angle grinder and understand their purpose.
How to choose discs and attachments for your angle grinder
Cut-off discs for angle grinder
Cutting discs are the most common replacement cutting tool for an angle grinder; there are a lot of them and they are able to overcome almost any material. The most used among them are angle grinders for metal, stone, wood and diamond wheels.
- Disc for cutting metal. It should be understood that angle grinder cutting discs can vary in both outer diameter and thickness. With the diameter of such nozzles, everything seems to be clear in this regard, they are intended for small, medium and large tools. Accordingly, their diameter can be 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230mm. As for the thickness of these discs, it can vary from 1mm to 3.2mm. Large diameter discs are made thicker, small diameter discs can be of any thickness. This approach to business is associated both with the speed of rotation of the disk and with the expected loads on them.
- Stone discs. They differ from their metal-cutting counterparts exclusively in the used abrasives.
- Discs for wood. In principle, the use of such disks is fraught with unpleasant consequences in the form of all kinds of injuries, you need to work with them very carefully. Compliance with safety precautions when working with such replaceable attachments is in your best interest. Firstly, you should not remove the protective cover from the tool and, secondly, for an angle grinder it is better to use a disc for wood with a fine tooth. In no case should you cut wood with a strong feed. And it is better to refuse to use such attachments on a large instrument altogether. The ideal option for using such a tool would be to use it in conjunction with special equipment (a device for stationary attachment of an angle grinder).
- Diamond disc for angle grinder. This accessory can be called universal; it is able to cut almost any material, from soft to durable. Such attachments are most widely used in the field of cutting porcelain stoneware, reinforced concrete, artificial and natural stone and tiles. There are separate types of discs for each of these materials, some of them have a solid cutting edge, and some have a ragged edge with slots. Also, depending on the purpose of these wheels, they can have a coarse or fine fraction of diamond dusting. For example, discs for an angle grinder for concrete have fine dusting and special transverse grooves along their entire diameter. In contrast, a diamond disc for a stone angle grinder has a solid cutting edge.
Visually, the purpose of diamond discs is difficult to determine, therefore, when purchasing such nozzles, carefully read the packaging about its purpose, everything is written in detail there.
Disc is a product with a specific diameter
And a thickness that has a bore to be attached to a solid-edge angle grinder in a segmented or even shaped configuration. The choice of a particular type will depend on the operation being performed and the material on which the operation will be carried out. Cutting with this nozzle can be done dry, combined and wet. This is precisely the feature indicated in the marking.
A large assortment of tools and nozzles is produced, and each of the varieties is used to solve specific problems or even several operations. It will be possible to buy them at a retail outlet from manufacturers (it does not matter, from foreign or domestic) at different prices. We invite you to consider the main types of attachments, their purpose, as well as how to choose the right disc for an angle grinder.
How to choose the right disc for your angle grinder to avoid problems
How choose the right disc for your angle grinder so that there are no problems
An angle grinder (and if the angle grinder is correct) refers to those electrical tools with which you can perform various types of work, cutting, cleaning, grinding, polishing, brushing.
For this, all kinds of disks for an angle grinder and unusual attachments are used.
The main thing is that the choice of consumables is correct. The attachment must necessarily correspond to the operation to be performed on a specific model of an angle grinder.
How to choose the right disc for your angle grinder
The angle grinder is one of the most popular power tools. Multi-purpose interchangeable discs turn your angle grinder into a versatile tool. A lot depends on the correct choice of disk, including user safety.
They easily cut concrete, stone and brick, but at the same time give a huge amount of the finest dust. When working with a diamond disc, it is imperative to protect the eyes and respiratory organs, and also take regular breaks to wait until the dust settles. The thickness of diamond discs usually ranges from 1.3 to 2.2 mm, but other values are also found.
By their shape and type of diamond sputtering, the discs are divided into segmented, turbo-diamond and turbo-diamond with a wave silent body. The most inexpensive segmented disks: they are also the simplest in design. The most expensive turbo diamond wave. In their design, there are stiffeners, and the center of the disc is additionally reinforced, which makes it possible to work under increased load. To remove excess heat, special holes are made in the body of the wave turbo disk.
Criterias of choice
For the optimal choice of disc, first of all decide what material you plan to work with.
Thin cutting discs (1-1.6 mm) are best used for cutting thin sheet metal. In particular, the car body metal. Thin discs are less suitable for work with reinforcement, beams, thick angles and the like. On the one hand, they can speed up cutting (due to the thinnest cut possible), but on the other hand, the risk of breaking a thin disc is noticeably increased here. In this case, it will be safer to use thicker discs.
Rigid scraper discs are most often used for active treatment (cleaning) of welded seams after welding and joints of metal surfaces before welding. With their help, they remove (peel off) nodules and protrusions on the metal, resulting in a rather roughly processed, but already flat surface. They are also used in cases when it is necessary to remove rust from a metal surface, peel off scale, remove paint, and the like.
Elastic scraping discs are mainly used as an alternative to metal brushes and brushes. They perfectly clean even a curved metal surface from old paint and other similar coatings.
Flap discs are mainly used for grinding metal and wood. The coarsest discs (the coarser grit) can clean even small weld seams, but flap discs are generally used for more delicate operations. They remove the faded top layer of wooden surfaces, grind wooden log cabins, clean off rust and old paint from metal.
Abrasive discs for cutting concrete cost an order of magnitude less than diamond discs, but their service life is much shorter. Their use is justified only in those cases when you need to do a small one-time job.
Diamond discs are used for cutting and cutting concrete and stone products (paving slabs, steps, curbs, facing stone), as well as bricks of all types and purposes. Large-diameter disks cut through door and window openings, cut partitions. They pass the material easier than abrasive ones.
For reinforced concrete and difficult stone work, turbo diamond discs (both regular and wave) are best suited. When choosing, take into account that a turbo blade will provide a cleaner cut than a segmented diamond wheel.
Turtles have different grain sizes, so it is best to buy them not individually, but immediately as a set. Most often they are used for mirror polishing of stone products. You need to work with turtles only at low speeds.
For many reasons, it is best to buy discs from reputable brands. The concept of the quality of the wheel includes not only the degree of strength of the disc at breaking and its abrasive qualities, but also environmental safety. As the disc works and grinds down, the bakelite bond burns out in it, the quality of which directly affects how much harmful substances are released. In conditions of long-term operation of the angle grinder, this factor becomes important.
When choosing a new blade, be sure to check that it is rated for the speed of your angle grinder. The permissible rotation speed is indicated on the very.
Also, if you are not planning large-scale work with an angle grinder, you should not buy a lot of discs in reserve over time, the moisture contained in the air begins to affect the bakelite bond. At the same time, the bond strength decreases markedly. Instead, buy the discs you need as and when you need them.
What are the cutting discs for the angle grinder
The main tool for an angle grinder are cut-off wheels. It is no secret that the quality and speed of the work performed directly depends on the correct selection of consumables. Therefore, before you go to buy a disc for an angle grinder, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the main types and characteristics of consumables.
For cutting tiles and porcelain stoneware
The best way to cut ceramic tiles is to use one-piece diamond cut discs. These discs are usually labeled “Wet Cut”. As practice shows, this tool perfectly makes a smooth, with a minimum of chips, cut on a tile even without the use of water, although a lot of fine dust is generated.
The solid diamond disc can also be used on porcelain stoneware.
On tiles, of course, you can use segmented (dry) and turbo discs, but the cut quality will be very low, since chips will inevitably form along its edges.
For cutting stone
An abrasive disc made of silicon carbide (marked with the letter C) is suitable for cutting stone in a domestic environment.
This cutting disc is used for small work in stone, as it wears out quickly. But, due to its low cost, this consumable is quite popular with the owners of the grinders.