best discs for angle grinders
Angle grinders can be called one of the most common power tools. They are used in various areas of human activity, suitable for processing a variety of materials. However, the quality of work performed and the capabilities directly depend on the selected equipment. The following will rank the best angle grinder discs to buy in 2021.
In large construction stores there are various circles for angle grinder, which differ in their characteristics, purpose. All accessories for angle grinders can be divided into several types.
- Circular saw blades. Suitable for cutting of various materials. This can be concrete or ceramic tile cutting jigs. Diamond blades that can cut even the hardest materials. The second group. tooling for cutting decorative and natural stone. The third is metal discs. Fourth, jigs for cutting wooden workpieces. There are universal discs on the market that can be used to cut parts of different materials.
- Sharpening tools. They can be abrasive or diamond. Mostly installed in specialized equipment, but can also be used in combination with angle grinders. Abrasive tools are considerably inferior to diamond in hardness, suitable only for metal.
- Grinding discs. This equipment differs only in terms of grit size. With its help, you can perform rough treatment of various materials, gradually moving to a smaller particle size, making the machined surfaces smoother.
- Roughing discs. Main purpose. removal of old decorative coatings, rust from various surfaces.
Speaking of tooling sizes, there are several types of discs for angle grinder. The first group. tooling for angle grinder 125 mm in diameter. Second group. 150 mm. 180 mm. Fourth. 230 mm. The Otel group. compact tools, for which discs with a diameter of less than 125 mm are used.
Typical disc sizes for angle grinders
All replaceable discs have standardized dimensions, so for any model of angle grinder you can find a disc suitable in size, even if it is “non-native” (another company). In the table below typical sizes of stripping discs by thickness, diameter of disc and rim seating are presented:
|disc diameter, mm||Thickness, mm||Seat size, mm|
|115||1,0; 1,6; 2,0; 2,5; 3,0; 3,2||22,00; 22,23|
|125||0,8; 1,0; 1,25; 1,6; 2,0; 2,5; 3,0; 3,2||13,20; 22,23|
|150||0,8; 1,0; 1,25; 1,6; 2,0; 2,5; 3,0; 3,2||13,20; 22,23|
|180||1,0; 1,25; 1,6; 2,0; 2,5; 3,0; 3,2; 4,0||22,23; 32,00|
|230||1,6; 2,0; 2,5; 3,0; 3,2; 4,0||22,23; 32,00|
The larger the wheel diameter and thickness, the thicker the workpiece it can cut. Please note that the diameter of the disc must not exceed the permissible size for the particular model of angle grinder. For example, a 230 mm disc cannot be mounted on an angle grinder with a maximum permissible wheel size of 125 mm. Such actions force you to remove the blade guard, which is a violation of safety regulations, and increase the linear speed of the cutting edge, which can cause the blade to break in the process and injure the operator.
The diameter of the housing in most angle grinders is 22.23 mm, less frequently 13.20 mm, and a diameter of 32.00 only applies to large blades. Also note the linear speed of the disc. For example, if the marking of the disk specifies a speed of 13000 rpm. this means that these rpm should also produce your angle grinder to work with it.
Understand what material can work with the nozzle and what its typical size can be seen by looking at his markings on the front side. If you come to the store and take the disc in your hands, you may see the following:
We want to note that sometimes the buyer can come across the non-standard dimensions of the nozzle, and it can concern both diameter and thickness. This is often the case when buying “no-name” discs of unknown manufacture. we recommend buying branded discs since unknown discs get washed faster and you end up paying more.
Cutting discs are most often used when working with an angle grinder. The following nozzles are distinguished according to their purpose:
- For metal. Such cutting-off wheels are made of aluminium oxide or crystalline corundum. This often uses a bakelite bond inside the product. Depending on thickness and size the disc can cut metal profiles, stainless steel, heating pipes etc.д. The GRAFF GADM 115 10 is one of the cost-effective metal discs.
- For stone and concrete. Stone and concrete cutting wheels are made of silicon carbide. Note that this blade is designed for relatively “soft” materials like white brick and slate (harder materials require a diamond wheel).
- For ceramic tiles and concrete. This bit is designed for cutting paving stone, ceramic tiles, red bricks, undercuts, etc.д. The disc itself is made of metal with diamond chips on the cutting edge. Solid discs and segmented discs are available. The former are designed for wet cutting (water-cooled) because they become very hot in the process. Segmented, on the other hand, is convenient for dry cutting, and is the most popular among diamond discs. Here, for example, is a quality durable Makita B-28086 segmented blade for cutting concrete and masonry.
- For wood. Woodworking discs come in tungsten carbide carbide or metal with an abrasive coating. The first are designed for cutting hard and soft wood, drywall, gas silicate and fiberboard. The latter can also cut metal and even wood with nails (but this must be checked by experience). Zubr Professional 36859-125 is just such a representative of the “nail saw”.
- Universal. These nozzles can cut almost all types of materials (for wood it’s better to use a straight nozzle). In particular, they are convenient to use when you have to cut different materials in one working day and don’t want to waste time changing nozzles. Universal models cut even reinforced concrete. But they are often quite expensive, and sometimes it is more profitable to buy two discs for different types of materials to be processed. Among good universal wheels we can advise Wolverine 100125 that is suitable for both wet and dry cutting.
Sharpening tool discs and abrasive bits for angle grinder
Among this type of devices in order to expand the functionality of the angle grinder, three types are significantly distinguished. twisted burrs, abrasive sharpening discs and diamond roughing.
- Twisted scrapers are used for roughing metal and stone surfaces. when it comes to removing old paint or thoroughly dried out grout, you can hardly find a better replacement tool. It is made in the form of steel cups, on the perimeter of which wire brushes are installed. Wire size can be different. depending on the coarseness of machining the cone can be equipped with both thick and thin wire.
- Abrasive sharpening discs. Such tips are designed for rough treatment of metal; they are used for grinding weld seams and sharpening all kinds of cutting tools. As a rule, the greatest prevalence of such nozzles are on small bolsters. this is due to the convenience in use. Such wheels can be distinguished from cut-off wheels by their thickness and shape. their inner part has a recess, which allows you to perform the sharpening process with the flat part of the wheel, and the thickness cannot be less than 5 mm.
- Diamond grinding discs. In principle they are somewhat similar to abrasive sharpening discs. Only in contrast to them, processing with a diamond tool of this type can be performed only by the disk periphery, where the cutting edges are located. As opposed to its grinding fellow, roughing diamond is not designed for working with metals, it is for roughing concrete, stone and similar materials. When it comes to removing a small section of cement screed, you can’t think of anything better than this diamond.
In general, one way or another, and discs for angle grinder allow you to significantly increase the functionality of the angle grinder. In modern construction and other areas of life, it is very difficult to find any industry where an angle grinder is not used. together with a huge number of all kinds of attachments it is a truly versatile tool.
Variety of cutting discs
Many people wonder what cutting discs for angle grinders are. There are three basic types.
These are quite durable circles, which are made on the basis of resin, diamond, cobalt, electrocorundum and steel. Additional additives may also be used to improve the strength of the product. The result is high-quality discs, with which you can saw metal structures.
unboxing and test || Drill Angle Connecting Rod and Disc saw blades | MR SHA
Cutting products for sawing iron have standard dimensions:
- Discs with a diameter of 125 mm will do for home use;
- models with a diameter of 150 and up to 180 mm are considered semi-professional;
- Professional varieties of ratchet saws need a minimum of 230 mm.
Further information! Thickness varies from 1 to 3 mm. the thickness depends on the diameter.
Concrete and tile
There are special wheels designed for tile and concrete work. They are made of the same materials as metal cutting products. However, they have one distinguishing feature. the cutting edge is coated with diamond. There are two types of circles on the concrete:
- With teeth. The main advantage of these products is that they do not overheat after prolonged use. Use for cutting stony materials.
- Solid. Made of bronze and cobalt. Suitable for cutting tiles, granite and quartz.
Important! For everyday use, it is better to buy models with teeth, as they are more reliable.
Angle grinder discs, which are used for woodworking, are considered the most dangerous. The thing is that they are equipped with sharp teeth, so many people do not recommend using them for beginners.
If such a saw accidentally falls on something hard, it will not be easy to hold it. To avoid such problems, it is necessary to choose models with beveled teeth. They are many times easier to saw even the hardest types of wood.
Use discs for wood is recommended only on bolsters, which can be attached to the bed. This will fix it so that it does not dangle while working.
How to choose a disc for an angle grinder
Recently we told you about how to choose the right drill bit for a drill. Today we will talk about angle grinder discs.
Usually the manufacturer places all the necessary information on the packaging or on the disc itself. In addition to the application, the diameter of the wheel, its thickness and the diameter of the seating. For each disc there is a maximum speed of rotation, you can not exceed it.
The 5 Most Common Angle Grinder Discs
Also do not use discs with a larger diameter if the angle grinder is not designed for them. In any case do not remove the protective cover to put such a disc. because of the imbalance and you and the machine can be seriously damaged.
Discs for angle grinders are available in diameters of 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230 millimetres and their thickness varies from 4 to 20 mm. The larger the disc, the lower the rotational speed has to be. In addition to division by function (metal, concrete, tile, plastic), discs are divided into stripping and cutting discs.
It happens that the field of application of the abrasive disc for the angle grinder is indicated by a color code: blue. for metal, green. for concrete. There are products with a schematic representation of the type of material on which they can work.
The numerical and alphabetic markings on the blade are not as mysterious as you might think. The first set of letters identifies the type of abrasive material: A. corundum, AS. electric corundum, C. silicon carbide. The figures which follow indicate the grit size of the grinding wheel. It affects the amount of material you can shoot. So, if the grain is coarse, the cutting speed will be higher, but the precision and accuracy will be lower. Coarse-grained grinding wheels (with a large number) are used for non-ferrous metals, fine-grained (with a small number) for steel.
The last letter indicates the hardness of the bond. The closer the letter is to the beginning of the alphabet (of course, Latin), the softer the bond is. Remember: when working with hard materials, the bond must be soft, and vice versa.
The last part of the code usually indicates the maximum speed of the blade. This is indicated in revolutions or metres per second.
The inner seating ring of an angle grinder disc is usually reinforced with metal for a “harder” surface finish. For grinding and sanding such discs are not suitable. better look for products with a soft central washer.
A lobe wheel can be identified by the abrasive material segments that are attached to the edges of the wheel. Their flexibility is the disc’s main advantage. This type of accessory for angle grinders is used for grinding on spherical surfaces, scraping and deburring, and all types of grinding and polishing. There are several kinds of petal wheels: flanged and spindle.
Diamond cutting discs are a separate topic of interest. They are divided into solid and segmented. The gaps in the segmented discs are designed to cool and deflect the pin.
Now let’s talk about diamond cutting-off wheels. They are subdivided into segmented and solid. The cutting part of a segmented disc is divided into alternating segments. They are used for heavy work on concrete, asphalt or granite. Solid discs are more often used in domestic conditions.
The field of application of a diamond disk may also be designated by color coding, but the colors here will mean completely different types of materials: blue. concrete and marble, green. granite, orange. brick and plaster, gray. ceramic tiles and tile, yellow. tile and plaster, and limestone.
In conclusion, let us remind you that the arrow on the surface of the disk for angle grinder indicates the direction of its rotation.
The tool and nozzles are available in a large range, and each of the varieties is used for specific tasks or even several operations. You can buy them at the point of sale from manufacturers (no matter foreign or domestic) at different costs. We suggest you consider the main varieties of nozzles, their purpose, as well as how to choose the right disc for the angle grinder.
Varieties of discs for angle grinder
Angle grinder wheels are replaceable elements. When working with different materials, it is necessary to understand their varieties. It helps to perform the necessary operations qualitatively.
- By function.
- By type of work performed.
- By design.
- By type of cutting.
- By material of manufacture.
- By size.
Notice, That by purpose nozzles for works can be on wood, metal, concrete, stone, marble, and so on. Manufacturers indicate the purpose in the marking, which is applied to the product itself. Most varieties are universal tools that are suitable for processing different types of materials.
According to the type of work performed, which is specified in the name, manufacturers try to produce such attachments for angle grinder:
Stripping (metal brushes, flap end wheels, packet or mandrel).
- Roughing (workpiece grinding wheels, twisted burrs, roughing diamond discs).
- Sawing. it refers to the presence of teeth on the cutting edge, and it is a design feature of the product. This makes it possible to obtain a very clean cut on plasterboard, wood, plywood, gas silicate and other similar materials.
- Cutting (such cutting and diamond discs are produced with solid cutting edge and divided into segments.
- Grinding (discs that have different degrees of grit, as well as hardness).
- Polishing (we talk about the felt tips, felt tips, as well as sanding and with a special Velcro).
- For cutting joints in concrete, asphalt, etc.
- Milling (for cutting bowls, grooves, edge treatment and so on).
- Sharpening. their characteristic feature is the ability to conduct operations by means of the lateral surface.
disc is a product with a certain diameter
and thickness, which has a seating hole in order to be attached to an angle grinder with a solid cutting edge, with a segmental or even a shaped configuration. The choice of a particular type will depend on the operation to be performed and the material on which the operation will be carried out. Cutting with such an attachment can be performed dry, combined and wet. The marking indicates just such a peculiarity.
The nuances of working with an angle grinder on wood
Professionals rarely use the angle grinder specifically to work with wood, there are special devices and tools for this purpose. belt sander, electric saw, jigsaw. But in everyday life, if there is a need to perform woodworking works, it is not reasonable to buy a whole set of expensive tools, then an angle grinder with a wood sanding nozzle comes to the rescue.
angle grinder is not the most popular tool for sawing wood, as it is a material with a fibrous structure. With insufficient fixation and the slightest fluctuation and change of angle of incision, the fibers are blown, delaminated, formed chips, defects and dispersion of sawdust and chips.
The cutting attachment is only justified if the angle grinder is mounted as firmly as possible on the cutting table. With an angle grinder you can make only a rough, not precise cutting, as it is impossible to organize the observance of all conditions for precise work. to fix the material, tools and see the place of cutting.
Attention! It is categorically forbidden to cut wood with abrasive or diamond wheels, this can cause the disc to break and overheat the tool.
Grinding and polishing
angle grinder is excellent for grinding. The works are performed according to the following algorithm:
- Preliminary work. Initially rough sanding is performed with the scraping head. It looks like a bowl with a twisted wire around the perimeter (similar in appearance to a brush with metal bristles). At this stage, old layers of paint are removed from the board.
- Preliminary (rough) sanding. From the surface of the material are removed coating residues, protruding fibers and other defects. Produced work with the use of grinding discs for angle grinder for wood. At this stage the material is prepared for painting.
- Final (fine) sanding. Applied to wood that will not be painted. For the work is used for angle grinder attachment for wood sanding with an abrasive of minimum grit. nulivki.
- Polishing. Produced at low engine speed, as the abrasive used cloth circles.
In order to maximize the convenience and quality of all processes, it is necessary to correctly choose a suitable nozzle from the whole variety of their modifications.
Features marking discs for angle grinder
To understand what you need discs for angle grinder for your tasks, it is enough to study the labeling of working equipment. By understanding the location of the main features, you can determine the scope of the tool just by looking at it. We look at the meaning of labels on the example of a popular in Russia manufacturer. Luga Abrasive.
- Cutting disc dimensions: outside diameter, thickness, inside diameter. Indicated in millimeters and inches. The tool in the picture has the dimensions 125 x 1.2 x 22.23 mm.
- Recommended rotation speed. Printed in revolutions per minute and meters per second. In our example, 12,250 rpm.
- Material the disk is designed to work with. In this case it is metal and stainless steel.
- Cutting wheel specifications. The order of the characters affects their meaning.
- The first mark (in our case it is A) describes what the cutting element is made of. Specifically, A is electrocorundum. a material that is optimally suited for cutting metal workpieces.
- The number indicates the grit size. This tells you what type of work the wheel is suitable for. The grit number is particularly important for grinding.
- Hardness of the blade. S stands for high hardness.
- Bond method, where BF indicates synthetic resins.
As a rule, from manufacturer to manufacturer, the information on the front of the circle remains the same. only the positioning varies.