Features of Reciprocating Saws for Metal A reciprocating saw for metal is a useful device that helps to carry out many types of repair work. How to choose a blade for an electric hacker? How to cut metal correctly with this tool? Which firms are the most popular?
Subtleties of choice
In order not to be mistaken when choosing an electric saw for cutting metal, a number of nuances and characteristics of such devices should be taken into account.
- The decisive criterion is the power of the device. It is determined depending on the type of planned work.
- If you plan to cut various types of materials, choose a device with a keyless blade change function.
- Pay attention to how the depth of cut is adjusted in the electric file, and whether the device has such an option. This process can be carried out with or without a key. The latter option is more convenient. If there is no such function in the reciprocating saw, then its blades will last less long.
- Some tool models have a proprietary blade that allows you to use only one type of blade. And some are more versatile.
- An important criterion for choosing a reciprocating saw for metal is the ergonomics of this device. It should have features such as 180 pivoting, vibration-absorbing rubber pads and an adjustable guide shoe, and should be equipped with a counterweight.
- accurate work is provided by saws in which there is a function to turn off the pendulum motion of the blades.
Experienced craftsmen believe that working with such a unit as a reciprocating saw is not difficult, and everyone can learn it. However, there are a number of guidelines for mastering such a skill with minimal negative consequences.
- Before cutting the main parts, be sure to try the operation of the equipment on a rough surface. These may be unnecessary pieces of metal. This procedure will help not only to check the tool for quality and the presence of defects, but also help a novice user to fill his hand and get used to the electric hawk.
- One of the preparatory work will also be adjusting the support shoe. It is recommended that the length of the head extending beyond the blade is kept to a minimum.
- And also when working, you must clearly follow a simple algorithm of actions. To start cutting metal, you first need to press the trigger in a smooth motion and bring the saw to the area where you will be cutting.
- After that, it will only be necessary to correctly direct the unit, the blade of which will independently sink into the metal.
- Blind cuts are not recommended. This can lead to damage to the gear units.
- Be careful when cutting metal, sometimes the tooling may begin to bend. A peculiarity when working with metal parts is that this process usually takes place not at the beginning of work, but closer to the middle of it.
- When working with blades that show signs of deformation, the risk of tool wear increases. Therefore, it is recommended to choose a metal with a minimum number of defects.
- As a regular maintenance procedure, the instrument should be lubricated and cleaned.
A metal reciprocating saw can be thought of as a hybrid of a jigsaw and a chain saw. The device is similar to the latter type by the autonomy of the working body, the characteristic advantage of which in comparison with a jigsaw and a circular saw is the ability to work without support on a flat surface. And the similarity with the electric hawk is confirmed by the fact that the cutting blade of the saber device moves along a reciprocating trajectory.
The main advantage of such a saw is its design, which allows you to work in hard-to-reach places., where circular saws simply do not fit. And also such a tool does not dull if in the process of carving any obstacle, for example, a nail, is touched. The cut of a reciprocating saw for metal is very accurate and clean, for which many builders and locksmiths choose it for work.
The reciprocating hacksaw can only make one type of cut: straight. To carry out figured cutting, it is necessary to purchase special thin canvases for this. Sheets for such carving are curved and bendable. And also the devices have a small blade length: in the range from 100 to 350 mm.
Reciprocating saw blade for wood
The reciprocating saw blade supplied with the equipment is usually designed to cut wood. These can be products made of ordinary steel and with a high carbon content. The latter are considered more durable and reliable, but they are more expensive, and therefore are purchased separately or as a whole set with other canvases. The most striking examples of such products are hacksaws from the Zubr and Bosch brands.
In addition to options designed exclusively for sawing wood, there are also blades that are suitable for sawing wood and metal profiles at the same time. They are, for example, produced by Metabo and Kraftool. The length of such canvases usually does not exceed 350-400 mm.
Such products are marked with the HCS code and are made of carbon-enriched steel, but in addition to them, BiM canvases are also made, which means bimetallic, the production of which is based on the hybrid technology of HSS and HCS.
Reciprocating saw blade for concrete
The reciprocating saw blade can also be selected for sawing lightweight concrete, if the model allows it. The power of the tool may not be sufficient. Such products are marked with the HM / CT code and are made of carbide. It is intended for cutting materials with high abrasive properties. An example of this option is the canvases of the Metabo brand.
Reciprocating saw blade for metal
A reciprocating saw blade is usually included, but for special purposes such as cutting metal plates, pipes or fiberglass profiles, a special blade is required and must be purchased separately. It has a different shape of teeth, their size and number, as well as a different structural material.
In addition, some manufacturers change not only the shape of the teeth, but also the saw blade. It can be curved or bend for flush or curved cutting, and it can have a special tip shape that allows you to make through cuts. However, in the case of metal workpieces, it is almost impossible to make a cut without additional help. In this case, a hole is initially drilled in the workpiece and, only, then they go directly to the cut. The only exceptions are those pipes that are recommended to be cut, only by grasping the entire diameter with a saw blade.
Such products are marked with the HSS code and are made of high speed steel. Their length usually does not exceed 295 mm, and the brands Metabo and DeWatt are examples of their manufacturers.
Electric Reciprocating Saw
Saws of this type are hand-held electric tools, the blades of which rotate and translate in a horizontal plane. When moving back, the blade of the tool rises slightly, which makes it easier to cut blocks. Outwardly, a reciprocating saw resembles a jigsaw. Models of this type are equipped with blades with teeth of various sizes and shapes, and can also be powered by a battery.
The main advantage of this tool is the ease of cutting (both straight and reciprocating). At the same time, the cutting accuracy is several times higher than that of a hand saw.
With the help of reciprocating saws, you can not only cut into blocks of the required size, but also make neat grooves for cable networks.
The cost of tools and blades for reciprocating saws depends on the set of additional tools, the power of the units and the manufacturer.
It makes sense to use a hacksaw if the amount of work is small. The aerated concrete hand saw is perfect for cutting additional blocks and adjusting door and window openings. Also, a hacksaw is used when laying the finishing row of block masonry.
The cutting blade of such a saw must be made of carbide metals (for example, high-carbon steel). For cutting gas blocks, you need to choose a hacksaw with larger teeth. Best of all, if they are made of monocarbide, tungsten, cobalt or other cermet alloy. Saws with victorious teeth are very popular. One such canvas is enough for 25 m 2 of aerated concrete. Also, the blades from rapid showed themselves well.
The cost of a hacksaw for aerated concrete depends on the manufacturer.
The most popular and inexpensive saber-type saw is the Dewalt DCS380M2 model from the American manufacturer, which costs 33,000 rubles. The tool is sold without a blade, so it is additionally necessary to purchase foam concrete blades. Their cost will be about 650 rubles (2 pieces). Dewalt DCS380M2 is lightweight (3.3 kg) and 560 watts.
- Bosch. The company produces a fairly wide range of electric chewers for processing aerated concrete. The most popular model is GSA 1300 PCE, which costs 12,800 rubles (the set includes 1 sheet for metal and 1 for wood). Also worth paying attention to is the Bosch GSA 36 V-Li. This cordless saw will cost at least 42,000 rubles. However, if you plan on doing voluminous work, then this is the best choice. In addition, with this model you can also saw wood, metal and profiles.
- Makita. Reciprocating saw JR 3060T will also cost about 12,000 rubles. In this case, you will get a rather powerful unit (1250 W), capable of easily sawing aerated concrete and other materials.
- Metabo. Saws from this German manufacturer are also renowned for their reliability and versatility. The SSE 1100 606177500 unit will cost about 10,000 rubles. This gives you a compact, versatile 3.9 kg tool.
Also, some builders advise the German company Black Decker electric hacks. The tools of this manufacturer are really inexpensive (about 4,000 6,000 rubles), however, many complain that the steel parts of the saws wear out very quickly.