How to choose a STIHL chainsaw?
If you’re wondering, it means you’ve already discovered that STIHL is the best chain saw manufacturer in the world, boasting German quality (the best in the world for tools and cars).
In the following article, we’ll look at what the three main types of chainsaws are and how to choose the right one for your specific needs.
What chainsaw to buy for the home
Choosing the right Chainsaw for the job
Let’s start in the first variety. for the household. Not useful in the apartment, of course. But in a private house or in the country to cut down trees, trim dead wood, remove excessive branches in the garden, to cut firewood for the barbeque or to heat the sauna. just right. You will only do this occasionally, a few times or a dozen times a year? You are looking for chainsaws with up to 2.7 liters.с. (2 kW), bar length up to 35 cm and a maximum weight of 5 kg (the lighter the better. you won’t get tired).
Which STIHL chainsaw to buy?
Among the large assortment? The MS range is ideal for the home. The lightest models are 193 T, 201 TC-M (weight up to 2.5 kg). ideal for the supervision of the garden, but these models are too expensive for the average consumer, this class of chainsaws people call “one-handed” and are ideal for high-mount pruning work for the so-called arborist. people who are professionally engaged in pruning trees at height, they just and need such chainsaws, but for the rest are excellent fit model:
Let’s find out what is the difference in the chainsaw models presented above:
MS 170 is ideal for small tasks in the garden, cottage industry, hunting and fishing, outdoor activities, the category of people who work two or three times a year.
MS 180. the flagship of sales, a very popular chainsaw in the household but weak for daily work, construction, there is a weak point. it is a simple air filter, requires frequent replacement. recommended twice a year, fortunately the filter is not expensive, is a filter plate of non-woven material. Frequent failures are just because of the fact that ignore the replacement and regular cleaning of the air filter, while blaming the wear and tear of piston rings and other damage. If you follow the quick care instructions, your saw will last until the piston is replaced for at least 8-10 years.
MS 180 C-BE. exactly the same as MS 180, the only difference is the easier pull of the starter rope, you will not feel compression of the engine. it is ideal for women and elderly people living in remote areas who rarely have helpers, and the difference is the easier to pull the chain without a screwdriver or wrench, this also applies to the clamping of the chain cover.
MS 181. same power as MS 180, but it is improved by functionality, much more reliable air filter, new technology engine, carburetor with three regulating screws, that with skilful approach of adjustment it is possible to increase power when necessary.
MS 211. Same type and build as MS 181 with more engine power. Assembly in the USA by STIHL.
The MS 230 is ideal for households with frequent chainsaw use.
MS 250 can already be classified as semi-professional in weight and power (but not in length). By the way, MS 180 is already for many years the most popular model for the household, because many users have come to like her ideal combination of power (2 l.с.), weight (4.1-4.2 kg) and durability.
Tires for saws of such purpose are made narrow, and chains for them. with low teeth, to minimize the probability of “bounce” of the saw when hitting a tree, hard surface or inability to handle the tool “on your own”. It also reduces vibration (resulting in having to exert more effort to work, i.e.е. very tired arms and back). Teeth spacing is 0.325″, the smallest of any chainsaw. They have the shortest continuous work time (so as not to “run in” the motor). 40 to 60 minutes, after which you need to rest.
In addition, these saws are more often equipped with additional devices (which is good for women and the elderly):
- easy start,
- improved air filter and decompression valve,
- automatic fuel mixture preparation system (although this is a relatively recent invention and so far mostly aimed at professional tools),
- quick chain tensioning.
Which STIHL chainsaw is best for semi-professional use?
If you annually prepare dozens of cubic meters of firewood for the house, and in between work at the sawmill, as well as constantly engaged in the gardening, stretched over 1-2 hectares, then you certainly need a semi-professional chainsaw. Which STIHL chainsaw to buy for this kind of work? MS 271, MS 291. They are 3.5L and 3.8L.с., Weighs 5.72 and 5.6 kg, respectively, and has a bar length of 40 cm.
STIHL chainsaws in this class are typically 0.375″ pitch, 3 to 5 liters.с. powerful, rugged and slim guide bar, and a long service life of at least 4 hours. Now you know which STIHL chainsaw is the right one for the firewood you need.
How to buy a STIHL chainsaw if you’re a professional?
If you start the saw without washing in the morning to chop wood for miles around and do it for 6-12 hours a day for 7-10 months a year there’s only one answer to the question “Which STIHL chainsaw to choose“: a professional chainsaw.
Choosing a STIHL chainsaw should be based on these parameters:
- power is close to 6 kW;
- 5-7 kg;
- bar length: 0.45 to 0.6 m;
- Tooth pitch: 0.375″ to 0.404″;
- Continuous running time of more than 6 hours (approx. 400 minutes).
Where to buy a STIHL chainsaw?
VIKING chain saw assembly plants are located in many countries around the world. from Germany, USA, Brazil to China, Kazakhstan and Austria. The company is the only one in the world among manufacturers of professional and quality tools the full cycle company, which produces the tool itself and all its accessories and consumables. Where to pick up and buy a STIHL chainsaw?? Get in touch with STIHL stores in Kazakhstan. both online and in stores.
STIHL chainsaws: benefits, types, selection advice
The STIHL family business is the largest German manufacturer of chainsaws for construction, forestry and agriculture, gardening and home gardening (manufactured under the VIKING brand). The STIHL brand has been a thriving company since 1926 and is now represented in more than 160 countries around the world. The head office is in Germany, in Weiblingen.
- Types of chainsaws produced
- How to choose a chainsaw
- The most popular model for private use
- Professional chainsaw
STIHL chainsaws have been the world’s top-selling chainsaw brand since 1971, and more than 90% of annual sales are exported. It is impossible not to notice that in order to popularize its products, the manufacturer annually holds specialized competitions in forestry disciplines.
Types of chainsaws
Since the company’s founding STIHL chainsaws have formed an important part of the brand’s range to this day:
- The devices used in the household. These are lightweight, practical and easy-to-use saws that are ideal for pruning and thinning trees and shrubs in the countryside, cutting firewood, domestic construction and carpentry work. The STIHL chainsaws are characterized by their quality, convenience and safety, just like professional STIHL machines. The power rating of this tool ranges from 1.3 kW/1.8 l. с. to 2.3 kW/3.1 l. с., Weight without fuel and cutting equipment 4-4,9 kg. Busbar length. 35 cm.
- Chainsaws for gardening and agriculture. Such a tool is widely used in the woodworking sector, construction with wood, caring for fruit trees, processing of stakes and thin timber. The equipment of these saws is designed for maximum efficiency in a given segment of work. Gardening saws weigh 4.5 kg with a capacity of 2.6 kW/3.5 liters. с 2.8 kW/3.8 l. с. respectively. With a guide bar length of 40 cm. These saws are especially suitable for semi-professional use.
- STIHL chain saws. These saws belong to the high-professional tools, they are characterized by: high power and minimum weight, equipped with the latest technological developments of the manufacturer. This makes them ideal for industrial felling, logging, construction, and municipal applications. Weight of the heaviest model in this series is 10 kg with a power of 6.4 kW/8.7 liters. с., With a guide bar length up to 105 cm.
- Gasoline concrete saws. this type of tool is capable of cutting through brick walls, as well as cutting through natural stone and cast iron without additional effort. Power of this saw. 4,3 kW, it is equipped with a diamond chain and a water system, which not only helps to perform works, but also binds dust, lubricates and cleans the chain and bar of the device, performs a cooling function. Additional durability of the tool is ensured by a high-tech air filter. Such a tool is indispensable for dismantling, retrofitting, and reconstruction of buildings and structures. Regarded as a professional tool for specialised use.
- STIHL specialized chainsaws are proof that the manufacturer’s machines are up to the task. This range includes special pruning saws for pruning trees, chain saws for precision carving and chain saws for life-saving applications where the accuracy and safety of the tool used is of the utmost importance. saving lives.
In each of the above subgroups, there are a large number of different models, which differ in both basic characteristics and cost.
How to choose a chainsaw
The large number of chainsaws in the STIHL range leaves even the professional at a loss. The manufacturer has made sure that his machines have the right tools for the job. The principle “the more powerful and larger the saw, the better” does not work in this case.
To find the right STIHL chainsaw for you, you need to know the answers to the following questions beforehand:
- What kind of work is going to be done.
- Volume of tasks to be performed.
- Material to be sawn with the tool.
- What kind of uninterrupted work time is required.
- Climatic conditions of sawing.
- If you plan to work indoors, ventilation and noise reduction are important.
When buying a STIHL chainsaw for a specific class (domestic, professional or semi-professional) it must be remembered that the specifications of the chainsaw do not imply any attempts to increase output, working speed or cutting capacity by modifying the machine in any way. Any attempt to use improper tires could result in the tool failing at best (the warranty is void under such circumstances), at worst, in serious injury and maiming.
The most popular model for private use
Today the MS 180 is such a model, it is distinguished by a democratic price and good for its segment technical characteristics:
- Without fuel and cutting equipment the product weighs 4.1 kg.;
- Power. 1.5 kW and 2 liters. с.;
- Idle speed is 2800 rpm;
- At top speed, it achieves 9,000 rpm. about./minute.
For minor domestic work, these characteristics are enough.
The professional chainsaw
The STIHL MS 880 chainsaw is the ideal professional chainsaw. it is currently the most powerful chainsaw in the world. Its technical specifications:
Quality of the STIHL chain saw made in China: Does it differ from the German-made
When it comes to the reputation of the company, whose products are used almost all over the world, it is difficult to believe that the leadership will decide to deliberately deteriorate the quality characteristics. It was only 7 or 10 years ago that the words “Made in China” often made us put the saw back on the shelf. And it was a right decision, because no quality was out of the question then.
The build quality of Chinese STIHL saws is virtually indistinguishable from German saws. It is caused by strict compliance with the technology of production and meticulous output control.
The sump of Chinese-made chainsaws, like the German ones, carry a small “TR” or “QC” stamp that indicates a completed factory test (Test Run) or quality control (Quality Control).
How to choose
Used occasionally. There are restrictions: it is not recommended to work more than 2 hours a day and 20 hours a month. A break should be taken every 15 to 20 minutes so that the engine does not overheat. These devices are suitable for cutting firewood and removing the wood from the site.
Can be used up to 8 hours a day on a daily basis. They have a large power reserve, so they are purchased for commercial use. They are used for felling timber, constructing log houses, bath houses, sawing firewood, etc.
Select the device should be based on the following parameters:
- Engine type and displacement.
- The power of the device.
- Speed of chain rotation.
- Working bar length.
- Gasoline and oil capacity.
Depending on the power and additional options, the price may vary. It is necessary to take this into account and choose exactly the model that can solve current issues.
On the market there is a wide range of gasoline tools STIHL, an important place in the range of the manufacturer since the founding and to this day occupy chainsaws, among which we can distinguish the following main subgroups:
- The devices used in the household. These are lightweight, practical and easy-to-use saws that are ideal for pruning and thinning trees and shrubs in the countryside, cutting firewood, domestic construction and carpentry work, cutting firewood. The STIHL chainsaws are characterized by their quality, convenience and user friendliness. just like STIHL professional tools. The power of such a tool ranges from 1.3 kW/1.8 L. с. Up to 2.3 kW/3.1 l. с., Weight without fuel and cutting equipment 4-4,9 kg. Busbar length. 35 cm.
- Saws for gardening and agriculture. This tool is widely used in woodworking sector, construction with wood, care of fruit trees, processing of stakes and thin timber. The equipment of these saws is designed for maximum efficiency in a given segment of work. Gardeners’ saws weigh 4.5 kg with 2.6 kW/3.5 liters. с 2.8 kW/3.8 L. с. respectively. This model has a guide bar length of 40 cm. These saws can be categorized as semi-professional tools.
- STIHL chainsaws. These saws belong to the high-professional tools, they are characterized by: higher power and minimum weight, equipped with the latest technological developments of the manufacturer. These are the features that make them ideal for industrial felling, logging, construction and municipal applications. The heaviest saw in this range weighs 10 kg at 6.4 kW/8.7 l. с., With guide bar lengths up to 105 cm.
- Gasoline concrete saws. this type of tool is capable of cutting through brick walls, as well as cutting through natural stone and cast iron without additional effort. Power of such saw. 4,3 kW, it is equipped with a diamond chain and water supply system, which not only helps to perform works, but also binds dust, lubricates and cleans the chain and bar of the device, performs a cooling function. Additional tool durability is ensured by a high-tech air filter. This kind of tool is indispensable for demolition, refitting and reconstruction of buildings and structures. Considered a professional tool for specialized use.
- STIHL specialist chainsaws prove that the manufacturer’s machines are capable of tackling any application. This range includes special pruning saws for pruning trees, chain saws for precision carving and chain saws for life-saving applications where the precision and safety of the tool used is most important. in saving lives.
In each of these subgroups there is a large number of different models, which differ both in basic characteristics and cost.
How to choose a tool by price
The price policy regarding chain saws directly depends on the class to which this or that tool belongs: domestic, semi-professional, professional.
Budget models of STIHL chainsaws
Inexpensive line starts at 10,000 and ends at 12,000 r. This includes tools that are lightweight and economical. Used primarily for work in the backyard. For example, the model STIHL MS 170 does not exceed 4 kg and has a capacity of 1.8 liters. Such a tool can be used in the countryside or for minor construction and repair work.
Models in the medium-price segment
Semi-professional petrol saws are characterized by high productivity. The price of such tools ranges from 28000 to 33000 p. Tools like these are used on large farms. One example is the STIHL MS 271 with 3.5hp.с. and 40 cm guide bar. Benefits include lower fuel consumption and fewer exhaust emissions. Vibration reduction system for high working comfort.
Professional saws start at 43,000 and end at 90,000 r. These tools are capable of withstanding high loads during the entire working day. One of them is the STIHL MS 461. the perfect choice for forestry. Allows 45 and 50 cm guide bars to be fitted. It has a power of 6 liters.с. Chain changing and tensioning is quick and convenient. Vibration reduction system for continuous operation.
Sales success factors for STIHL chain saws
Intuitive use of the mechanism is extremely easy to handle, this is exactly what the developers have made the chainsaw. STIHL chain saw photos show that designers and engineers are constantly improving the quality and conditions for easy use.
The range offers several types of saws for different conditions of use, if handled correctly and with care, they will last for a long time. This requires the use of a genuine STIHL chainsaw chain and a lubricant that removes unnecessary deposits.
Buying a chain saw is a serious matter, it is necessary to decide in advance on its intended use, it can be used at home, semi-professional and special for a particular type of work. The principles of division of such models can be defined as: power, options and the mechanism itself.
Dynamic company does not stand still and develops all new models, taking into account innovations occurring in the market services.
If it is found in the segment that the chainsaw does not suit the consumers, for example dacha owners, a new model is developed, and the previous one is withdrawn from the line of sales.
The price policy in Russia for this product starts at 7 thousand, the more professional saw the more expensive it will be.
How to choose a piston on a chain saw STIHL 180
In this article we take a look at the piston groups from the STIHL 180 chain saw. The STIHL 180 is the most popular chain saw in the world (like a Kalashnikov assault rifle), and therefore it has an enormous number of reciprocating parts. On a site zipo76.Ru has a large selection of pistons from different Chinese factories. We are zipo76.For a long time we sell and repair tools. We use only the best spare parts for your tool. Guarantee on spare parts and repair.
Good tools for quality and easy work. A good spare part is the salvation of a good tool. Buying a bad analogue of the Chinese piston, you will provide: Overheating of the cylinder at idle; rapid failure of the Chinese cylinder due to improper fuel; Short life of a STIHL piston chainsaw.
So how do you choose the best quality part from the enormous variety of pistons?? Piston assembly with piston pin, piston rings and two catches. It is not recommended to use reciprocating parts from different kits. If you change a genuine STIHL 180 piston for example, it does not last long and quickly gets scuffed.
It is important that the crankshaft bearing fits snugly in the seat of the piston and the pan. If the bearing fits loosely in the seat with no effort, then a different piston must be selected.
It is very easy to tell the original from the genuine article. The original piston has scuff marks, brown, green, white, and so on. Also make sure the STIHL logo and name is stamped on the original.
It is worth carefully inspecting the piston for chrome plating. On the third piston, you can see that the chrome plating has irregularities and, therefore, we do not need such a piston for the saw. And finally, if you are allowed, try to scratch the cylinder with something and see if it is hard-wearing. If it scratches with no effort, then there is no chrome, just aluminum. Be sure to visually inspect the piston for casting defects. Everything must be level and without chipping the radiator fins.
How long will the Chinese piston last on the STIHL 180?? There are many factors to consider that affect the chainsaw’s performance. A simple filter change and fueling with quality fuel and oil, will ensure a longer life. It has been my experience and experience that they usually run fine if you keep in mind that the STIHL 180 is a domestic saw and not designed for professional use. STIHL analogue Chinese pistons are good for about a year if you cut a lot of wood.
How To Buy The Proper Chain For A Chainsaw
Reassembling a STIHL 180 chain saw
Assembling the STIHL ms 180 saw back is easy enough, the main thing is to stick to the following algorithm:
- Install the piston on the connecting rod, with the arrow on the piston facing away from the STIHL 180 chain saw and on the left hand side of the piston on the crankshaft that is designed to fit the flywheel;
- Carefully insert the piston back into the cylinder, the place for mounting the coil should be on the side where the flywheel is mounted on the crankshaft;
- Install the bearings, oil seals and circlip on the crankshaft and lower the assembly into the cylinder seats;
- Next, degrease the place of installation of the crankcase and the crankcase itself, then lubricate the sealant and installing in place to screw the 4 screws fastening;
To reassemble the STIHL 180 saw after you have reassembled the engine follow the reverse order of disassembly. It is important to be attentive and remember to install the rods on the carburetor, and connect the ignition wire.
Here is an instructional video with STIHL 180 disassembly for inexperienced users that shows the STIHL disassembly in detail.
STIHL 180 chain saw disassembly and reassembly, if you have some experience is quite simple, the main thing before the work is to clean the saw well and not rush. To keep small parts from getting lost, you should use containers in which you should place the parts in the process.