DIY power supply for a 12v screwdriver
This tool is used to screw in or out screws and other fasteners. It can also be used for drilling holes. The screwdriver has a high degree of autonomy later, which runs on battery power. However, such batteries sooner or later stop working. In this case, you need to decide: change the battery or buy a new tool. There is one more way out. to remake the instrument so that it can be powered from the 220V network. A screwdriver from the mains will make it possible NOT to worry about recharging batteries.
DIY power supply for a screwdriver
In order to carry out the conversion of the cordless screwdriver into the network, you must first make a step-down transformer. It is made on the basis of what was used in older TVs. When powering the screwdriver from an electronic transformer, the latter must be rated for a power equal to 160 W. In order to prepare such, which is necessary for the Screwdriver, you need to do the following:
- The prepared transformer must be disassembled.
- The secondary winding must be removed completely.
- You need to wind ten turns.
- Now the transformer is ready, it remains to assemble it.
- Next, you need to take measurements. Now it is connected to the network and the voltage obtained on the secondary winding is measured. Now the number of turns, which in this case is ten, is divided by the voltage measured now. The obtained value is multiplied by the voltage required for the tool and the number of required turns is obtained.
- Now, having disconnected the transformer from the network, it is again disassembled and the required number of turns are wound. Then you need to collect it.
For winding, take a wire, the cross section of which is 1 square meter. Mm.
After the current passes through the transformer, there will be an alternating voltage at the output. The power supply circuit for a screwdriver provides that in order to get a constant from it, you need to make a diode bridge. It is made with the introduction of diodes on radiators designed for 20 V and 10 A.
The transducer made in this way is placed in a housing. At its output, a voltage will be obtained, which is necessary for the operation of the Screwdriver. The input will have a mains voltage of 220 V.
The wires coming from the PSU are connected to the contacts through which the instrument is powered.
Such a power supply for a mains screwdriver is usually mounted in a case where there was previously a rechargeable battery.
Powered by car charger
You can modify this instrument to be powered by a car battery. In this case, autonomy increases, since it will be possible to use a screwdriver in the immediate vicinity of the car.
In order to convert the voltage to 220 V you need:
- Disassemble the tool body. In this case, you can see the contacts to which the power should be connected.
- It is necessary to prepare the wires, which are used to charge car batteries. They have crocodile clips. The other ends must be carefully cleaned with a knife.
- The wires are attached to the terminals for powering the screwdriver. They can be attached with ties or solder. The last option will be more reliable.
- Make a hole for the wires in the tool body.
- Now the screwdriver body needs to be assembled.
To do the work, you will need to connect the wires using clamps to the car battery.
Power supply manufacturing options
You can use a standard charger for this purpose. Here’s how to make a network out of a cordless screwdriver: you need to do the following:
- Remove the cover from the charger case.
- You need to make a hole in it for the connected two-core wire.
- On the board, you can see the terminals to which the battery was previously connected for recharging. You need to connect the wires of the prepared wire to them to remake the screwdriver for such work. The polarity of the Terminals must be taken into account. To determine it, you need to look at the inscriptions on the board or on the device case.
- It is necessary to open the battery case of the screwdriver and remove all galvanic cells from it.
- Holes are made in it for the wire.
- The wires that were soldered to the terminals of the charger are connected with respect to polarity to the output contacts of the battery.
- After the body is assembled, the tool can be used.
Although it is recommended to connect the power supply taking into account the polarity, nevertheless, if you connect the contacts in a different order, this will mean that this is how you can convert the cordless screwdriver to the mains. the direction of rotation will change to the opposite. Most screwdrivers provide the ability to switch it, which makes it possible NOT to depend on the polarity when switching.
It must be remembered that during work it is necessary to follow all the rules of electrical safety.
The power supply from the computer as a basis
You can make the power supply to the instrument so that it uses a computer power supply. Here’s how else to make a power supply for a screwdriver: to rework in this way, you need to do the following:
- You need to find or purchase a power supply with a power of at least 300 W.
- The screwdriver body must be disassembled and the place of connecting the wires for the power supply of the motor must be found. The wires of the wire prepared in advance are connected to them.
- In the case, you need to make a hole for the wires.
- Special connectors are required to connect to the power supply. One of them is soldered to the wires coming from the screwdriver, the other is already installed on the wire, which is connected to the computer power supply. This is necessary in order to power the screwdriver from the mains
- Now you need to assemble the screwdriver body.
Now it remains to check how the tool works. To do this, you need to connect the power supply to a 220V outlet, and include a screwdriver in it.
Homemade power supply
Having made a power supply for a screwdriver with your own hands according to one of the diagrams, you need to insert the case and connect it with wires to the motor of the tool.
Using laptop charging
The laptop charger can be replaced for this tool with only minor changes. At the input, it receives an alternating current voltage from the 220V network, and at the output it gives out direct current 12V.
However, it will still be necessary to rework the wires:
- The plug, which is used for a laptop, will not work for a screwdriver. Therefore, it will be necessary to cut the wire coming out of the charging and strip it.
- If necessary, a cable of the required length must be connected to it.
- The tool body needs to be disassembled.
- The cable is connected to the terminals from which power is supplied to the screwdriver. You need to make a hole in the tool body for it.
- The tool, after being assembled, will be ready for use.
Power supply unit built into the battery
One of the options for converting a screwdriver into a network is that the power supply, which converts 220V alternating current into 12V direct current, can be placed directly into the battery case. To do this, follow these steps:
- It is necessary to disassemble the battery case.
- The contents are taken out of it.
- You must first purchase a power supply, which has the characteristics necessary for the operation of the screwdriver.
- From the purchased device, you need to remove the motherboard and install it in the case where the battery was previously. Screwdriver.
- Output wires connect to battery contacts.
- For the input wires through which the voltage of 220V will flow, you need to make a hole in the case.
- Now the screwdriver needs to be assembled.
After making changes, this tool can be used where there are electrical outlets.
How to convert a cordless screwdriver to a mains: powered from a 220 volt network, DIY alteration
You can extend the life of a cordless screwdriver if you convert it to a network one. Those who have used a cordless screwdriver at least once could not help but appreciate its convenience. Without getting tangled in the wires, at any time you can penetrate the device into hard-to-reach niches, bring it to the dacha, or take it out into the street and patch up the playground. But all the advantages of such a device are good, Until the battery is discharged.
How to convert a cordless screwdriver to a mains: powered from a 220 volt network, DIY alteration
Home »How to convert a cordless screwdriver to the mains: powered from a 220 volt network, DIY alteration
How to convert a battery device to a 220 volt screwdriver
Today the screwdriver belongs to the devices that we very often use in everyday life. It is also irreplaceable in production. This device is suitable for a variety of electrical and construction work. With its help, furniture and other items are assembled, the design of which requires threaded connections.
In order to convert the battery device to a cordless screwdriver, it is necessary to prepare materials and tools for work in advance
The reason for this decision is also the fact that when the device is not used for a long time, the battery is discharged independently, which leads to breakdown of the screwdriver due to the destruction of some elements. It is impossible to repair a failed battery, and it is not always possible to purchase a new one. Often, component parts can be purchased only from the official representatives of the manufacturer. Accordingly, the cost of a new battery will be almost equal to the cost of a new screwdriver. Therefore, some craftsmen come to the decision to re-make the screwdriver in the network.
Materials and tools required for this:
- Charger from this screwdriver;
- His native battery;
- Soft stranded electrical cable;
- Soldering iron and solder;
- Insulating tape;
To begin with, you need to solder the lagging ends of the cable to the terminals of the charger. You need to know that copper wires of a cable with brass contacts can be soldered only after they have been treated with acid. Experts recommend using special solder, but sometimes the simplest methods are used in the form of acid treatment.
- How to convert a battery device to a 220 volt screwdriver
- Why do you need to remodel a mains-powered screwdriver
- Converting a screwdriver to a network using laptop charging
- Convenient mains screwdriver: features of use
- How to make a screwdriver from the network
Why do you need to remodel a mains-powered screwdriver
In order for you to be able to use a screwdriver at any time without unnecessary wires, even in the most inaccessible places, the mobile screwdriver is converted to a network.
It is difficult to remake a cordless screwdriver, so you can ask a professional for help
Methods for converting a cordless screwdriver into a network vary in complexity. One of them is that powering the charging from a laptop requires practically no knowledge and skills. To mount a computer power supply, you need to be able to handle a soldering iron, and to repurpose a Chinese adapter, you must be able to handle a measuring device. In addition, there are several more ways to convert a cordless screwdriver directly to the network.
- Using a power supply device from a personal computer instead of a battery;
- Gave new life to car battery;
- Applying, as source, a power supply from halogen lamps;
- By connecting the Chinese 24V power supply board.
For brainy craftsmen, it is NOT difficult to perform such manipulations. If you are NOT confident in your abilities, then it is better NOT to take risks and seek the help of a knowledgeable specialist.
Convenient mains screwdriver: features of use
The cordless cordless screwdriver is a great helper in your home. Almost everyone who he has never let down can agree with this. Those whose work stopped halfway have a completely different opinion. This tool will help you always and everywhere, but exactly until the battery is NOT discharged. over, the quantity in it is limited. In moments of idleness, the battery can also deteriorate. Batteries typically last no more than three years. When this time expires, it has to be changed or sent to the museum of obsolete things. The situation is possible if you convert the screwdriver into a network one. There are enough ways to do this.
For a screwdriver to be comfortable and practical, it must be carefully looked after
Mains transformers of THESE brands are of high quality and reliable in operation. In addition, they are quite compact, lightweight, and do not complicate the work with the tool. Their load characteristics are close to those required for a standard screwdriver. In their design there are 2 input and output wires, which allows supplying power to halogen lamps and other types of electricity consumers with a voltage of 12V. However, to use the converted device, you must adhere to some rules.
Here they are:
- Let the appliance rest for 5 minutes every 20;
- We fix the cable in the elbow with our hand so that He does not interfere with the work;
- Clean the power supply from dust;
- DO NOT use too much extension cord;
- Do not use the device without grounding;
- It is forbidden to use a converted device for work at height.
Before each start of work with the converted device, make sure it is working properly.
Converting a screwdriver to a network using laptop charging
In the event of a battery failure, a household screwdriver can be switched to mains power by making some changes to its design. This does not require a lot of expenditure of finance, time and effort. The positive nuances of this transformation are obvious: you do not need to constantly charge the battery, and at the same time, Forced downtime will go away. After all, the shortest duration for charging the device is more than 3 hours.
If you need to connect the screwdriver to the network, you can use the charger from an old laptop. It has similar characteristics to a screwdriver and can be easily found in every home or workshop. But, still check what output voltage is shown in your charging. In this case, chargers for 12-19V are suitable.
Using a laptop charger, you can convert a screwdriver to a network
Scheme of your actions:
- From a failed battery pack We take out unusable batteries.
- We take charge from the laptop.
- Cut off the connector and strip the wires from insulation.
- Soldering bare wires or wrapping them with electrical tape.
- We make an outlet for the wire in the case.
- Assembling the structure.
This manipulation will allow you to use the screwdriver at any moment, and without stopping for charging.
How to make a screwdriver from the network
When the batteries stop working due to the fact that they have simply outlived their life, many begin to wonder how they can fix the situation and remake their old cordless screwdriver into the network with their own hands. After all, it is no longer possible to repair a battery with a destroyed element, and the cost of a new one is almost equal to the purchase of a new screwdriver. But zealous and skillful owners came up with a way out. to power the screwdriver from the mains. Some could even invent a device that works simultaneously from the mains and from the battery. But it’s best not to.
The kitchen is one of the most popular and visited rooms in an apartment and house. She is the place where the whole family gathers, all her generations. Can.
In interior design, LED lighting has become widespread, because with its help certain zones and decor elements are distinguished, as well as.
When planning repair work in an apartment or at one of the stages of their implementation, the question arises about the installation of electrical wiring. If you decide that.
Alteration with a standard battery and charging
Alteration of a cordless screwdriver to a network in this case assumes that the circuit is assembled on the basis of a standard charger. The following materials will be required:
- Accumulator battery;
- 2-3 meters of flexible stranded copper wire, with two conductors, section 2.5-4 mm2;
- The usual set of tools and consumables, soldering iron, solder, electrical tape or heat shrink tubing of the appropriate diameter to the wires. To disassemble the screwdriver, you will need a screwdriver, side cutters and an assembly knife for cutting and stripping wires.
The sequence of operations in the process of converting a screwdriver into a network:
- The cover is removed from the charger case;
- The ends of the wire are soldered to the output contacts of the charger board, which are connected to the battery during charging, observing the polarity. Core with red insulation. to the terminals “”, with blue insulation. to the minus terminals;
- Polarities can be determined by the inscription on the board or the product case. For reliability, you can turn on the charging and measure the 12V output with a multimeter, and determine the contacts by polarity;
- Galvanic cells are removed from the battery case;
How galvanic cells are removed from the battery compartment
- The charging wire is connected to the contacts inside the battery case, observing the polarity.
Thus, the screwdriver is converted into a network one. When the device is plugged into the socket, the corresponding voltage of 12 or 18 V DC will be supplied to the input circuit of the screwdriver.
Polarity is recommended but not required. When the polarity changes, the motor shaft will rotate in the opposite direction, all modern screwdrivers have a polarity change switch, In fact, the rotation of the screwdriver chuck is reversed.
Important! The terminals on the charger board are usually made of brass alloy, they must be soldered to copper wires with acid solder or removed altogether, and the solder wires on the PCB track.
Before soldering, holes are made in the battery and charger cases through which the wire is pulled. For a more rigid fixation within the body, you can tie it into a knot and wind up electrical tape so that the winding diameter exceeds the hole Ø.
Replacing a faulty charging board with a power supply unit from a computer
In the case when the charging board is faulty in the set of the screwdriver control unit, in order to make the network option, a power supply unit is installed with parameters suitable for voltage and power. Sometimes the power supply comes from a personal computer. It should be borne in mind that the mains power is converted to 12 volts DC, the screwdriver at idle consumes up to 4A current, for a short time at the moment of tightening. more than 40A, then the peak value of power consumption can be up to 480 W.
You can install a PSU from a laptop, they are compact and easy to use, but the maximum power of THESE models is within 100W, a little more is not always enough.
Laptop power supply
Output voltage 19V, there are screwdrivers with such a power supply.
Power (P) = 19 A x 6.15 A = 117 W, then you can add a 12V converter, and the screwdriver will idle and tighten the bolts with little effort. When screwing self-tapping screws into a dense wooden surface, such a power supply unit may NOT last for a long time. it will burn.
The location of the power supply inside the PC system unit
It is safer to use power supplies from system units of stationary computers. They are more powerful and in all respects are suitable for connection to a screwdriver.
The peak power of such a power supply is 500W; the nominal load for long-term operation is 460W, this is just what you need for a screwdriver with a 12V power supply.
AX500-A board in a housing
There is a fan on the top cover of the metal case, which is connected via connectors to the board. Ventilated cooling allows the PSU to withstand high peak loads of 500W for minutes. Sometimes the fans are located on the side walls, it depends on the PSU model.
To connect such a power supply to a screwdriver, you need to perform just a few operations:
- Disconnect all power supply connectors from the motherboard and other elements of the system unit;
- Unscrew the fastening screws on the power supply unit and the system unit, then remove it from the system unit;
- There are no problems with connecting to a 220V network, a wire with a connector is included in the power supply kit;
- You will have to look for a 12 volt output, there are even two of them in this PSU model, you can find it by the markings on the printed circuit board. On some connectors, the output voltage is written opposite the pins;
Designation of contacts on power supply connectors
Note. When there are inscriptions, you can navigate by the color of the conductors; in this series, 12V power supplies are output from the board to the connector with wires with yellow insulation. The minus connection is done with black wires.
- To check the correctness of the selected pair, you need to turn on the power supply and measure the voltage with a multimeter;
Note! In our case, a pulsed power supply is used, which will NOT start outside the system unit circuit. Without going into the details of the operation of SEPARATE semiconductor elements, we simply accept as axioms that a refinement is needed, which consists in a simple jumper.
- The green wire, designed to turn on the PSU according to the standard scheme, must be connected to the black conductor, this is done right on the board. An extra piece of green wire is bite off, the remaining end is stripped and soldered onto the board track to the black conductor;
Modification in the power supply unit AX500-A, installation of a jumper
- After the completed modifications, the power supply unit can be connected to the network and check the presence of 12V on the selected pair of wires with a multimeter;
- The yellow and black conductors can be lengthened and the connector can be soldered to them;
- In the battery case for connecting a screwdriver, as in the previous cases, galvanic cans that have served their life are removed, and a mating connector is installed to the mowing line from the power supply. The options may be different, you can solder the cord to the screwdriver, and the connector can be connected to the power supply, as you like;
The conclusions from the 12V power supply are soldered to the connector going to the screwdriver
- When soldering connectors and connections, do not forget to put heat-shrinkable tubes on the wires and shrink them with a hot air gun, insulating the soldering points. As a last resort, do it with ordinary duct tape;
- NOT used leads from the power supply unit can be bitten off or rolled, insulate the ends and fold inside the case.
Block AX500-A with fan
Note! Remember to connect the fan when assembling the case. If you unsolder it or bit it off during the installation process, you need to remember the connection contacts. The fan is powered by a 12V mowing line, by this indicator you can easily find the screwdriver connection points.
Ways to remake a cordless screwdriver
Alteration of the screwdriver for mains power consists in converting 220V AC voltage into 12 or 18V DC voltage. One of the safest and easiest ways to convert a screwdriver into a network version is to use its standard components.
Alteration of a screwdriver for power from an outlet network
In the economy of a modern person, a screwdriver is NOT a rare tool, practically this tool is an analogue of an electric drill. The advantage of this type is considered to be autonomous power supply from a portable battery embedded in the lower part of the handle. The battery must be periodically recharged from the mains through a special charger, with prolonged use the battery fails, replacement is required, and they are not cheap. Therefore, many users are thinking about how to remake a cordless screwdriver so that it works on a 220 volt network.
General view of one of the options
Sometimes consumers decide that it is necessary to convert the screwdriver into an ordinary Electric drill powered from a wall outlet. The question arises how to do this with less time and money. If you have certain knowledge in electrical engineering and practical skills, then powering a screwdriver from a 220V network is not difficult to do. There are several ways with the introduction of various devices for converting electricity to the appropriate type for rotating the screwdriver motor.
Transformer circuit for powering the screwdriver
One of the available ways to quickly power the screwdriver from the mains is to use the classic circuit with a 220V / 12-15V step-down transformer and a diode bridge, an AC-to-DC converter.
Transformer power supply circuit
All elements are easily placed in any case, the necessary controls, monitoring and indication are displayed on the front panel.
Transformers and diodes with appropriate parameters, withstanding power over 100W, can be taken from old household appliances (TVs, tape recorders), from voltage stabilizers and other power supplies. If necessary, we rework the transformer, wind up the secondary winding or put an output in the winding for a certain number of turns, to achieve 12-15V at the output.
Installation of elements of the transformer power supply in the case
It is recommended to place diodes on an aluminum radiator, which effectively removes heat, extending the service life. Having certain practical skills and knowledge in electrical engineering, the transformer can be wound with your own hands.
There are many power supplies on sale with suitable characteristics to power the screwdriver from the mains, but this requires financial costs. If you have an old system unit from a PC, it is easy to remake the power supply, especially since, if necessary, it is easy to restore it to its original state and use it as intended.
Alteration of purchased blocks
It can also be powered from any other commercial power supplies. The alteration process in this case will be almost the same, however, in addition to the resistor, you may need to solder additional diodes. The most important thing is to achieve the required output parameters. And this can be easily done using a combination of components.
We use laptop charging
An excellent option is to use laptop charging. Such devices usually operate with a voltage of 12 to 19 V. This is quite enough to ensure the high-quality operation of the screwdriver. But do not neglect the output current indicators. The closer it is to the required one, the better.
In this case, reworking a screwdriver for mains power is reduced to elementary soldering of wires from the charger to the board in the tool. It is advisable to isolate everything with electrical tape or other similar materials. After that, the wire is brought out and the tool can be used.
Power supply options
Any screwdriver requires much less voltage than a regular socket gives out. Therefore, for recharge, you will definitely need a special converter, at the output of which the required voltage will be obtained. All power supplies are divided into two large groups: pulse and transformer. Let’s consider each of them separately.
Converting a screwdriver to mains power: 5 ways
The value of a screwdriver as a home or construction tool, most often, lies in its portability. However, due to certain circumstances, portability sometimes has to be abandoned in favor of functionality. It is about converting a cordless screwdriver into a mains-powered tool. This process has a number of subtleties, which it is advisable to observe.
Required materials and tools
Materials and tools for reworking a screwdriver completely depend on the type of tool and the type of power source, as well as its features. But to generalize, there are several main tools:
- Insulating materials;
- Cable for supplying electricity;
- Soldering iron and soldering materials;
- Any case for the future power supply.
Alteration of the power supply unit made in China
Perfect for creating a power supply for a 12 volt screwdriver with your own hands, ordinary Chinese power supplies with an output voltage of 24 V, and a current of 9 A. But since the tools use less voltage, it is necessary to reduce it first.
To achieve the goal, you need to replace the original resistor R10 with a Tunable resistor, with which you can achieve the desired voltage. This is done in several stages:
- A constant resistor is removed;
- In its place, a previously prepared Adjustable resistor is inserted, on which a resistance of 2300 ohms will be set;
- So far, the voltage is still 24 V;
- Using the resistor settings, you need to achieve the required voltage on the contacts.
After all the manipulations, you need to check that the output voltage is the required value (12 V, 14 V, etc.), and also that the current exceeds 9 A.
How to do it yourself
Before you remake a screwdriver, it is necessary to clearly determine what power and what voltage the tool needs to work. From this it will be necessary to proceed.
Then the tool body is opened. The two halves of the case can be fastened with screws or with glue. When disassembling, a knife can be very useful.
After opening the case, a power supply or wire is inserted inside, the contacts of which need to be soldered to the charger. Soldering should be as effective as possible, with the introduction of Special solutions.
The other end of the wire must be designed for power supply. So there should be a fork. It is recommended to make a hole in the case in advance through which the cable will pass.
A homemade power supply can be obtained in several ways. In any case, you will get a full-fledged tool with which you can perform work after connecting to the network. It is advisable to pre-prepare a diagram that will help NOT to make mistakes when creating a block.
common power supplies that have proven their reliability and efficiency in many areas. The device consists of a step-down transformer and a rectifier, through which a reduced voltage passes. Rectifiers may vary depending on the number of diodes used.
Such elements are easy to manufacture, cheap and reliable. Therefore, they are often preferred. They provide stable voltage without interference with high maximum power. But there are also several disadvantages. The main disadvantage is bulkiness, with a much lower efficiency than that of pulsed sources. This fact requires the selection of a power supply for the screwdriver with a power greater than that required by the tool. Since part of the capacity will go to Side Processes.
The principle of operation of pulse systems is that the voltage is first rectified and then converted into a special pulse signal. In this case, it is important to achieve a stable voltage. A transformer winding or resistors can help with this.
Switching power supplies are quite effective and can be used in different conditions. At the same time, they have a high level of protection against short circuits and similar effects. However, in terms of power, impulse systems are clearly inferior to transformer ones. In addition, such units are very capricious to the input voltage. If it is lower than the set, then the element may simply not work.