How to cut a round hole in a tile with an ordinary sandpaper
Also, when repairing or tiling work, the choice of method depends on whether the tiles laid on the walls are processed or the holes are cut during the laying process. In some cases, in the presence of installed piping, it is necessary to use combined methods of cutting with the use of a tile cutter and an electric tool with various kinds of nozzles.
Now let’s see how to make a hole in the tile with an electric jigsaw. Such a tool will allow the master to easily enough to make a beautiful and even cut. With it you can cut through any circle and even shape, whether it is an oval, ellipse or triangle.
We suggest to read How to lay the floor tiles in the bathroom
But to perform such work, you need to buy a special blade with a diamond coating, or as they call it. a diamond saw. This ensures that the cut circle is perfectly straight.
- On the front of the tile we outline the desired diameter.
- If the cutting area is on the edge, it is possible to start the work.
- And if the area with the hole is in the center, then first of all a hole is drilled in order to insert the diamond blade. In the ready hole the sawing string is inserted and led along the inner circle.
- The main rule recommends that the tiles should be sawn slowly.
Of course, all this can also be done with a hand tool, but the quality will be much worse.
Now let’s see how to make a hole in the tile with an electric jigsaw. Such a tool will allow the craftsman to make a beautiful and even cut quite easily. It can be used to cut any circle and even shape, whether it is an oval, ellipse or triangle.
But to perform such work, you need to buy a special blade with a diamond coating, or as it is also called. a diamond saw. This ensures that the cut circle is perfectly flat.
- On the front of the tile outline the desired diameter.
- If the cutting area is on the edge, you can start.
- And if the area with the hole is in the center, then first of all a hole is drilled in order to insert the diamond blade. The sawing string is inserted into the prepared hole and guided through the inner circle.
- The main rule recommends. to saw the tiles slowly.
How to cut a hole for a socket
If the work is carried out by professional masters, they will have a whole arsenal of tools. And for those who are first faced with the need to cut a place for the socket, you can take advantage of these methods:
- Peorator with drill bit for undercuts;
- Drill with a drill bit and a cup;
- Metal hacksaw and diamond wire;
- angle grinder;
- Hand jigsaw.
Soak the tile in water for 1-2 hours before starting the work. It is necessary to drill the holes at a low speed. If the tiles are already on the wall, it is better to work with a manual drill. You can not make a hole that is too close to the edge of the material. it is better to keep the distance of 1.5 cm to the edge.
Drilling with a diamond drill bit
If you use a drill bit with an alignment drill bit, it deepens and prevents slipping. When working without it, you need to draw the contour of the hole on the tile by outlining the crown. The easiest way to do this is by gluing masking tape, since a pencil or regular felt-tip pen does not write on the glaze.
Then start the rotation of the drill bit, and put it to the edge of the hole at an angle. Its corner will make a notch that will prevent slipping.
It is necessary to drill through the glaze, getting the outline of the hole. Then water is poured into it. It will cool the crown, which will prolong its life. In addition, in this case, there will be no dust. Water is poured, and when a drill bit with an alignment drill bit is used.
Cutting with a drill bit
The fastest way to make a hole in the tile with a special nozzle on the drill, which is called a crown. Bits for the drill and peorator are sold in construction stores, they have different diameters, which you need to pick up under the mounted socket. However, experienced craftsmen do not recommend making holes in tile with the peorator, as cracks and chips are formed at the edges of the cut due to vibration. To work with tile, the following type of drill bit is used:
- Diamond crown. Crowns with a diamond coating to make holes for the socket in the tile from different manufacturers have a diameter of 65-68 mm. A quality nozzle can cost 4-6 thousand, so it is usually used by professional finishers. But it makes quick and accurate holes in tiles. Diamond tip
- Bit with pobedite teeth. This device for cutting out holes for a socket in the tile costs 500-700, it suffices for 20 cuts. It takes much longer to drill tiles with this bit than with a diamond-coated bit, but it is just as good. Bit with Pobedite teeth
- Carbide tip. Circular saws with tungsten carbide tips are half cheaper than diamond-coated crowns, but are inferior neither in quality, nor in cutting speed. Bit with tungsten carbide tips
Pay attention! Drill and cutter during operation, strongly vibrate, which is fraught with the appearance of chips and cracks on the tiles. That’s why you should drill tiles at low speed, spending 1-2 minutes per hole. Чтобы качество разреза было лучше, плитку кладут на стол на деревянную подложку, а дрель устанавливают в штатив.
Cutting an Outlet Hole Into a Tile
Cutting with a drill bit
The fastest way to make a hole in a tile with a special attachment on the drill, which is called a crown. Bits for a drill and lever are sold in construction stores, they have different diameters, which should be chosen according to the mounted socket. However, experienced craftsmen do not recommend making holes in tile with the help of a torus, as cracks and chips are formed at the edges of the cut because of vibration. To work with tiles, the following types of crowns are used:
Diamond bit. Crowns with a diamond coating for making holes for a socket in tile from different manufacturers have a diameter of 65-68 mm. A quality nozzle can cost 4-6 thousand, that’s why professional finishers usually use it. But it drills tiles quickly and accurately.
Note! Drill and peorator during work strongly vibrate, which is fraught with the appearance of chips and cracks on the tiles. Therefore, it is necessary to drill tiles at low speed, spending 1-2 minutes per hole. To make the quality of the cut better, the tile is placed on the table on a wooden backing, and the drill is set in a tripod.
Forming circles for electrical outlets on the laid tile
In this section we will talk about how to install a power point, if the wall is already covered with tiles. In this case, the master will have to drill a hole with a drill. To perform this work it is best to use a spiral or cone drill bits.
It is necessary to cover the treated area with masking tape, and then mark the place for the formation of the circle. After that, you can start drilling at low speed. To avoid overheating the drill bit, it is advisable to periodically moisten it with water. If the hole should be large, it is recommended to first perform the work with a thin drill, and then change it to a larger one. The diameter of the hole, it is desirable to increase gradually to avoid the appearance of chips.
There is another way to form apertures on the laid tile. using pobeditovogo drill with a diameter of 6-8 mm. First the socket is installed on the outside of the tile, and then the socket box is outlined with a pencil or marker, and set aside. On the marked circle you need to drill about 20 holes with a diameter of about 8 mm in increments of 1-2 mm. After that, the bridges between the holes are removed with wire cutters or pliers. To prevent cracks and chips in the tiles, the tile must be drilled at low speed, the time of formation of one hole. at least 1-2 minutes.
- Special drill bits for tiles. It helps to make small diameter holes. The tile drill bit is not threaded, and there is a pointed tip on its tip. There are tetrahedral tips (feathers), but they are worse, because it will be difficult to sharpen them if necessary. They can also be used for drilling in mosaics or glass.
- Drills with a pobedite tip for concrete. Available in almost every home, you don’t need to buy a special drill bit. If the drill bit is not tungsten carbide tipped, you can use it too, but the tip has to be resharpened like a regular drill bit.
- Self-tapping screws with LM tip (so called bloshkas). Since wall tiles are very soft, they can be drilled without a drill by screwing in self-tapping screws with LM tip. On average it takes 2-3 self-tapping screws per hole.
- Diamond tile crowns. Allow you to make holes of large and small diameter for sockets or pipes, installing a toilet bowl. They have a fixed diameter and cost 300-1500, but they last a long time. The minimum diameter you can find is 5 mm. Great even for drilling porcelain tiles.
- Circular drills (tile ballerinas). Besides the sharp tip on the drill guide in the center, they have an additional movable cutter on the rod. It is convenient that you can adjust the diameter of the hole and not buy several bits for each size. Another plus. ballerinas are well suited in order to drill a hole in the center in the tile, but if it will go beyond the edge. it will be extremely difficult.
When using any method, it is necessary to switch off the impact mode of the drill/peeler and set the minimum speed to avoid chipping.
Chip-free hole: Recommendations
In order to avoid the formation of chips that spoil the appearance of tiles, it is necessary to adhere to the following rules:
- Careful choice of tool, namely its cutting part. It is necessary to gradually destroy the glazed layer, and then the ceramic.
- Failure to comply with the standards of work performance. The tile is placed on a hard surface, horizontal or vertical.
- Excessive pressure on the tool. The selected drilling option must be oriented to cut the ceramic blade without additional pressure.
Depending on the intended use of the hole and the tools at hand, a drilling method is chosen. However, when working, safety precautions and recommendations should be followed in order to reduce the risk of splintering.