How and what to cut the pipe
Pipes are the most common type of rolled metal and plastic. They are used to transport a wide variety of gases and liquids. The factories produce rolled products of a certain length. To mount them locally in a pipeline, heating system, water supply or sewage system, they must be cut to the desired length. Pipes are cut evenly and with a bevel. For this, many cutting methods and a variety of equipment are used.
How to cut a cast iron pipe
Cast iron as a material has its own specifics and differs from steel alloys in a number of physical and mechanical characteristics. With high strength, cast iron is a very fragile material.
A cast iron pipe is marked in the same way as a steel one. Before starting work, you should place wooden blocks for support. An angle grinder with a cut-off wheel needs to make a shallow cut around the entire circumference. Next, on the chisel, insert into the notch, you need to strike with great force. The product will split exactly along the saw line.
Cutting cast iron pipe
If an angle grinder is not available, you will have to make a circular cut with a hacksaw.
Precision cutting machines
Band saws are distinguished by high stability of the plane of the blade movement and cutting accuracy. They are also widely used in the procurement areas of small-scale and medium-scale production. They are characterized by versatility, reliability and high performance.
For private use, the Italian company MASS offers a compact band sawing unit. It is equipped with a manual clamping device and can evenly cut pipes with a diameter of up to 65 mm, as well as rolled products of any profile of the same thickness.
The rotary device allows you to set an arbitrary cutting direction from 0 to 45 °. Cutting blade frequency. up to 45 strokes per minute. An economical 370 W motor allows you to use a regular home single-phase 220 V power grid.
Miter box for cutting pipes
For a long time carpenters have been using a simple, but very useful device to cut off the ends of rectangular, round and shaped bars evenly at an angle. A carpenter’s miter box is good for sawing off a plastic or non-thick metal pipe.
You can use a ready-made one, or you can make a miter box with your own hands. Its advantage is that it can be made exactly to the size of the pipe. For manufacturing you will need:
- Cut a board with a length of 40-50 cm and a width equal to the pipe diameter.
- Cut two boards the same length, but wider by the thickness of the first board.
- Assemble the boards on self-tapping screws, attaching the side boards to the base so that you get a U-shaped gutter.
- In the center of the markup and make vertical cuts in the side boards to the base so that a straight line drawn through them forms angles of 90, 60, 45 and 30 ° with the longitudinal axis of the structure.
- Make cuts at different angles if necessary.
It is better to make the side walls of more durable wood. this will extend the service life of the equipment.
Such a miter box Not only determines and helps to maintain the correct line of the cut and dusts evenly. It also serves as a means of securing the pipe. It is enough to hold the pipe with your hand together with the miter box. For each diameter, you will have to make a separate tooling.
During operation, the slots in the side walls are also subject to wear. You need to make sure that the hacksaw blade goes in them with minimal backlash. In case of wear, you can cut new cuts parallel to the old ones, at least 3 centimeters away from them, or replace the side walls.
This miter box has the following advantages:
- Simplicity of design and manufacture
- The ability to make tooling for any diameter and required angle
Miter box for cutting pipes
- Inconvenient to work with large diameters and wall thicknesses
- Binding of each rig to its own diameter
- Only compatible with metal hacksaw
For individual use
They are used in home ownership, private construction and small business. Deals with small to medium diameters (up to 250 mm) used in systems
- Water supply.
These tools include:
- Cutters. They are used to evenly cut a polymer pipe up to 75 mm. To carry out an even and accurate cut, they have a gear mechanism. The workpiece is first clamped with a shelf clamp, which fixes it securely and does not allow it to leave the cutting line.
- Disc cutter. Suitable for ventilation and sewer plastic pipes with a diameter of up to 200 mm. The blade is NOT a pruning shear, but in the form of a disk rolling on the surface of the workpiece. The incision is carried out in several turns. Not suitable for metal-plastic rolled products, as thin metal liner can crush.
- Guillotine. The flat oblique knife moves in the guides and allows you to cut exactly the required length in one pass. Available both with an electric drive, providing high performance, and with a manual.
- Hacksaw for metal. The classic locksmith tool allows you to evenly cut the workpiece clamped in a vice. When using it, it is important to drive the dust smoothly, with constant effort and without distortion. Burrs formed after working with a hacksaw should be cleaned with a file.
- Angle grinder, angle grinder. In everyday life it is called “angle grinder”. All materials and diameters are suitable for this versatile tool. In order to cut the pipe with an angle grinder, use special abrasive cutting discs.
- Electric jigsaw. The tool, which is very popular among home craftsmen, can also cut pipes, but due to the flexible blade being introduced to the side, you will have to dream exactly
- Reciprocating saw. The instrument has not yet become widespread among Russian craftsmen. The adjustable saw stop and its powerful blade allow you to cut rolled products even while weighed and close to the wall.
How to cut along
Not often, but sometimes it is still required to cut the pipe lengthwise. You should proceed as follows:
- Carefully mark the line of the cut. Use chopping line, marker or masking tape.
- Secure the pipe, next to the pipe, provide an arm support along the entire mowing line of the cut.
- Take your time and slowly slide the angle grinder blade along the cut line while maintaining hand resistance to make the cut. Always observe the depth of immersion of the disc into the cut so as not to cut the opposite wall.
How to cut a pipe at a 45 degree angle
Small diameter plastic pipes can be cut using specialized scissors.
When using a general-purpose tool, you will definitely have to use one or the other equipment.
How to cut a pipe at a 45 degree angle
How to cut a profile pipe straight
It is recommended to use a plumbing square when marking. The required size is marked on the first side, the square is applied to the mark and the line is drawn. Further, NOT lifting the square from the corner between the edges, smoothly turn it over to the other, apply the marking line, turn it again and mark the third edge. If they come together on the last edge of the mowing line, then the markings are done correctly.
Now you can clamp the workpiece and cut to length with an angle grinder or a hacksaw.
How to cut a pipe straight
Simple tooling for cutting
The universal cutting machine with a pendulum circular saw is excellent for cutting straight at an angle thick-walled pipes of large diameter, both round and rectangular in cross-section. Such devices work in the procurement areas of small industries and on construction sites where it is required to evenly cut a large number of reinforcement to size.
The circular saw together with the electric motor is fixed on the pendulum arm and can be brought into the working area with great precision and then cut in one plane.
Advanced devices are equipped with an articulated arm that allows you to change the direction of the cut. In the models of the lower and middle price segment, the orientation of the mowing line of the cut is carried out by means of a rotary table equipped with clamps for reliable fixation of the workpiece. In addition, the table can tilt to the side up to 45 °. The turntable and lifting mechanism are equipped with a protractor that allows you to set the angle to within a degree.
To securely fix the pipe at a given angle, a clamp and two steel corners with a side close to the pipe diameter are used. A short corner is fixed on a rotary work table using its standard screw clamps. Fastening and cutting process step by step:
- Set the turntable to the required cutting angle and secure it.
- Lay the pipe between the corners and tighten them with a manual clamp so that the marked cutting line remains free.
- Start the engine.
- After a set of revolutions, smoothly bring the disc to the metal surface and cut the workpiece evenly. At the beginning and end of the cut, when the cross-section of the metal being cut is maximum, do not apply large forces to the handle of the pendulum.
The main advantages of this method:
- High performance, even with thick walls
- Straight and smooth cut, requiring minimal cleaning and reworking with a file
- No need to build patterns.
Reception and disadvantages are inherent:
- Applicability to small and medium diameter
- High cost of the machine
- Low mobility
- High power consumption and noise
How to use the miter box
A miter box will help you to cut the skirting board at an angle of 45 degrees. By the way, do you know how to use the miter box? The specialists of our portal have prepared for you a step-by-step.
How to cut at a 45 degree angle
Often during repairs, you can face a situation when it is necessary to saw off a piece from a part, at an angle of strictly 45 degrees. Typically, this is needed to connect two parts at right angles, 90 degrees, such as: door trim, plinth, pieces of furniture and much more. An experienced foreman, professionally engaged in repair work, can often do without special devices, and is practically able to cut the required part evenly and clearly by eye. But if you are a novice repairman, and you have a desire to do the work as efficiently as possible, without damaging expensive parts, then you just need to purchase a miter box. a special device that allows you to saw off material at a given angle without any special tricks.
To work, you need to have: a miter box, a hacksaw, a protractor with a pencil, a workpiece made of wood, a screwdriver with screws or a clamp.
Using a ready-made miter box. Self-made miter box
- 1. First, you need to assemble the box of the future tool. To do this, in its side walls it is necessary to drill holes for future fastening with screws and, having smeared the ends of the parts with glue, connect them in such a way that both walls are strictly perpendicular to the bottom and parallel to each other, after which we fix them with screws.
- 2. Using a protractor, mark an angle of 45 degrees with a pencil, if necessary, add additional mowing lines for the grooves. The most critical part is the cuts, it is best to make them with the same hacksaw blade as you will be cutting products. Dust must be holding the blade, avoiding strong pressure on the tool, first sawing one side, then the other.
- 3. We start processing the material. With a clamp or screws, the miter box crepe on the work surface. We make a mark at the place of the future cut on a plinth or board. How to cut at an angle of 45 degrees becomes clear if you press it tightly against the side wall and align the mark with the slot on the template. We insert the hacksaw into the groove and cut the workpiece, while the work of the blade is limited to cuts, which allows you to make the cut as smoothly and accurately as possible.
- 4. Before cutting the skirting board, make sure that the corner of the room is really straight and, if it is not, you need to correct the cutting angle of the workpiece. To do this, measure the inner corner of the wall joint, and divide the result by two. If you do not have a professional rotary miter box that can change the cutting angle by the required amount, then to achieve the result, you need to saw additional grooves at the desired angle in a homemade miter box. This way you can cut the skirting board for the most accurate alignment.
You now know how to spray a workpiece at a 45 degree angle. Perhaps the time has come to move from theory to practical action. The team of the mebeldok.com portal is confident that you will definitely succeed. Stay with us!
How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth
This is an instruction manual on how to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth. Considered solution options, as.
There are several ways how to cut a pipe; for this, construction and industrial tools are used for metal processing. Of all types, only the angle grinder allows you to get curved surfaces without further processing with the closest location of the edges.
How to cut a large 45 degree pipe
It is better to cut a large-sized product in a domestic environment using a large angle grinder or a gas burner. the walls with large diameters are usually thick. Cutting is best done in segments, leaving narrow transitions that are removed at the end.
For individual use
The following tools are used for cutting steel pipes in households:
Manual Pipe Cutters. Allows you to cut round parts with an even right angle cut due to the cutting edges of the rollers. There are several types of products of this type, consisting of single rollers or a series of them attached to a chain. In everyday life, such devices are quite rare and are more suitable for professional work.
Angle Grinder. It is a universal tool for cutting any metal parts with different angles; special discs for metal are used for work, which grind down rather quickly during operation. This allows you to accurately cut the line curve with a small diameter disc.
Gas-burner. A fast and effective method of cutting metal surfaces with a hot flame jet; disadvantages include melted edges, which complicate further welding. It is difficult to cut a product with a gas burner according to a paper template, it will burn out, and if a fishing line is drawn, then it will practically not be visible in a stream of flame.
Electric Pipe Cutters. To work with pipelines of small diameters, you can use compact electric pipe cutters according to the principle of operation resembling an angle grinder. The device is called a roller machine, during operation, the part is installed on the bed and rotates on roller guides, from above its surface is cut by an electrical device. The main difference between the Pipe Cutter is a metal disc, which has a special durable spraying for cutting metal.
For industrial use
In industry, large-diameter pipelines are used to transport liquids and gases, therefore, pipe cutting units are of large weight and overall dimensions. There are also manual pipe cutters of a rotary and clamping principle of operation. In the first case, the cutting rollers rotate along a round surface using an adjustable handle, in the second option, the cutting is carried out by arcuate plates, which gradually shift during rotation.
DIY pipe miter box
Using the template is too convenient. you have to cut along the mowing line, keeping the angle grinder suspended, which leads to large errors. If you have a welding machine, you can make a simple miter box. guides for the disc of an angle grinder, and not letting it go to the side.
To do this, use a previously made template, in the side of which a hole is drilled and a nut is welded. When working, a homemade miter box is put on the profile, a bolt is screwed into its nut and the device is pressed against the profile surface. An angle grinder with a disc for metal makes a cut, slightly presses the disc to the side surface of the device. It is clear that with long-term work, the edges in the miter box are gradually grinded, and although the process occurs simultaneously on all edges, some errors will appear over time. Therefore, the device is better made of hard wear-resistant metal in order to increase its service life and get a more accurate tool.
How to cut 45 degree pipe with high precision at home
When working on the installation of gas or water mains, it is often necessary to change the direction of the mowing line, while the pipeline is cut and then welded at the desired angle. Most often, the direction changes by 90 degrees, and the question arises. how to cut the pipe at 45 degrees in order to accurately connect the joints during welding.
It is possible to cope with the problem with cut edge angles of 45 or 90 degrees with the appropriate knowledge and techniques, which will help to save not only time, but also materials during work. At other angles of rotation, it is impossible to solve the problem using a ruler and writing paper. you will have to call computer equipment for help.
Paper mold for pipe
One of the most common ways to make a pattern for pipes with a round surface is a method for which you will need lined writing paper, a ruler and a pencil. To obtain a paper pattern, proceed as follows:
- Draw a circle on a piece of paper with the diameter of the pipe to be cut, break the circle into 16 equal segments, each time dividing large segments into two equal.
- Measure the circumference by multiplying its diameter by the number Pi, equal to 3.14. Lay this size on both sides of the axis of the circle in equal segments, each of which is divided into 8 equally sized parts.
- Draw from segments on a straight line vertical mowing line up and horizontal from the points set on the circle.
- The places of their intersection are connected with a smooth line and, in total, a template applied to the paper is obtained, which is cut out and glued to the trimmed surface. For trimming, it is better to use an angle grinder with a small diameter disc. the surface will be curved and when using a large disc, the error will increase.
To get the branches of metal pipelines in the form of tees, a collar insert is used, for which it is necessary to cut the edge of a round pipe adjacent to the walls of another at a right angle. To implement the method, proceed as follows:
- Cut the edges of the workpiece at right angles as described earlier.
- On the round end surface, four equidistant points are marked with a marker, located at angles of 90 and 180 degrees to each other.
- The circumference is measured, the resulting diameter is divided by 3. From two diametrically located points, the resulting distance is laid, after which these points are connected to two other smooth arc, drawing the fishing line with a marker.
- An angle grinder is cut along the markings and the semicircular segments are separated, after which the part is ready for welding. With small inaccuracies in mating, it can be sealed with a sledgehammer, attached to the round surface of the second element.
Techniques for cutting pipes at an angle of circular cross-section
Round pipes of different diameters are cut at an angle when the direction of the pipeline is changed, while it should be borne in mind that a straight cut at the desired angle, unlike a rectangular section, will NOT lead to a tight joint of the edges. Therefore, special patterns are used, in which the marked edge has a curved shape, which allows you to obtain a High density of connection.
Pipe marking and cutting
The very process of marking the cut-off workpiece seems to be quite a simple matter. But it should be noted that those made by rounding in the process of manual marking will create an irreparable error after cutting, which will lead to inconsistencies and the formation of defective products. In order to eliminate such defects, it is required to make a simple tool for a clear marking of the profile parts. At the same time, cutting products at an angle of 450 is much easier.
A regular 45-degree U-shaped steel section is a reliable tool for accurate pipe cutting. In this case, the size of the profile for the ruler must be selected so that it becomes possible to easily position the cut profile pipe in it.
Manual pipe cutting tool
To perform such a tool marking the correct angle, you must also have the following additional tool:
- Scribe for metal;
- Angle Grinder;
- Cutting disc;
A device for cutting pipes at an angle How to cut a pipe at an angle
It is not difficult to make a measuring tool for cutting pipes. To do this, cut a segment 20-30 cm long from the profile blank. By means of a protractor, an angle of 45 degrees will be marked at any end of the segment. Next, cut off the profile with the angle grinder. The resulting template needs to be tested for accuracy. In case of deviations, file the measuring tool.
Using such a hand-made marking tool greatly simplifies the process of cutting pipes, especially with a large volume of pipes. To mark, it is only necessary to locate the cut profile pipe in the made device and draw the correct angle with a scribe. During the marking process, the length of the products is controlled. Next, you need to cut the pipe clearly along the line of the marking, using an angle grinder. It is worth noting that at first the pipe is cut along the diagonal marks on both sides, then the straight lines marked with the mowing line are cut. These 45 degree pipe cutting templates will save you a lot of time and money.
How to properly cut a pipe at 45 degrees: tools
In various situations, household-level craftsmen often come to the question of correct marking for accurate cutting of pipe blanks at an angle of 45 degrees. Today, there is a huge selection of tools, both for the domestic and industrial process of cutting pipes at any angle. The cost of such devices can be quite high.
It is proposed to consider methods for marking blanks for cutting at an angle of 45 degrees in a domestic environment without the use of expensive professional equipment.
Marking and cutting circular pipes
In the case of cutting round pipes at a 45 degree angle, the tool made for rectangular pipes is not quite suitable. For a more accurate. streamlined drawing of the mowing line for cutting at an angle, it is recommended to use a paper template, which is wound around the workpiece.
Patterns are developed in the modern world using computer programs.
The cut line changes depending on the angle and pipe diameter set in the program. Common patterns can be found on the Internet or remember our painted rulers from the school bench.
Right angle pipe cutting technology
Excluding the options used in industry. mandrel dies, radial cutting devices. there are not so many solutions available to the DIYer. In any case, you will need either a hacksaw for metal or a hand sander. Adjustment is facilitated by the fact that the tubular product always has only linear contact with the cutting plane.
How to cut a metal pipe straight? It is enough to firmly grip the metal workpiece with parallel clamps, mark the cutting area Marker and cut to size. Of course, within the gaps between the hacksaw blade and the mounting bases of the hacksaw, backlash is always possible, as a result of which a burr will appear on the joint surface. If, in the future, an inclined section of such a joint is attached to the second element of the pipeline by manual arc welding, then this is not a big deal: everything can (within reasonable limits) be corrected by changing the thickness of the weld. Otherwise, you just need to select a new tool and constantly monitor the marker lines during the cutting process.
It is even easier to cut the end using a Pipe Cutter (it is inexpensive, in a pinch you can borrow it from a more skilled neighbor). This tool is equipped with a special screw-type feeder. The sequence of actions with the introduction of a single-roller Pipe cutter is as follows:
- The workpiece surface is thoroughly cleaned of traces of dirt, grease or scale.
- The section to be separated is tightly compressed with jaws (if the pipe is made of soft metal, for example, aluminum, it is better to put a rubber corrugated plate between the jaws: the clamping friction will increase).
- Rotating the feed screw, the cutting roller is gradually deepened into the wall, until the roller cuts through it.
- Change the position of the round pipe, rotating it by 1200, so that the cutter wheel comes into contact with the new section of the cut, and repeat the transition.
- We carry out one more reinstallation. and the straight pipe segment is ready. It remains only to clean the overlap areas.
There are three- and four-roller pipe cutters, where the cutting process is quite simple, since the number of resettings is accordingly reduced.
How to cut steel pipe at 45 or 90 degree angle? First, you should check if the existing pipe cutter is suitable for sawing a specific part. The following are taken into account:
- Material tensile strength;
- Diameter or wall thickness;
- Condition of cutting edges of roller / rollers and clearances in their axes.
What and how NOT to cut polypropylene
The ease of cutting polypropylene pipes creates the illusion that special tricks are not required when separating such plastic. But this is not the case. The following types of instruments are practically used:
- Pipe cutters with rotary knives.
- Ratchet pipe cutters.
- Hand saw.
- Electric miter saw.
A hand hacksaw should be put in last place in terms of cut quality. Not only does it leave the largest amount of shavings (which, by the way, is quite difficult to remove), but at the end of the separation you will get a rough burr, dusty will have to be done with a file (have you tried cleaning such a file after working with plastic?).
The miter saw is fast. Even too fast to stop the tool in time after the separation of the workpiece has taken place. I missed a little. and injury is inevitable.
Therefore, this type of equipment should be used only when it is necessary to cut / trim polypropylene pipes of large diameter and with thick walls.
The ratchet pipe cutter will give you the best cut quality. And arthrosis, because the handles of the cutter require a lot of force at all times. Therefore, ratchet cutters are good for single cuts.
What is left? That’s right, Rotary Knife Pipe Cutter.
How to properly cut pipes from different metals at 45 degrees and 90 degrees
How to cut a pipe at a specific angle? It has already been said about a straight cut. Next, we will consider the methods of separating tubular billets from various metals with the introduction of a metal miter box for metal. In addition to the convenience of cutting, the miter box minimizes the amount of sawdust, which is important if the work is done at home.
The locksmith’s miter box consists of two units:
- A manual hacksaw, which has upper tubular guides, which allow you to hold the tool strictly perpendicular to the cutting direction;
- A channel-like body, in which holes are pre-made. with slots on both sides to help the worker make accurate corner cuts (usually 90 ° and 45 °, but there are miter boxes with a protractor, on which you can make corner cuts in the range of angles from 100 to 1150).
Distinguish between cast and stamped wort. The former, although cheaper, do not work well under conditions of intermittent bending stresses.
It is important to choose the right version of the hacksaw. For corner cuts, only Precision tools with upper guides are suitable, which are additionally secured against bending by spring stops.
The choice of standard size for a locksmith miter box is made according to the following parameters:
- Width of the miter box, which determines the maximum diameter of the workpiece.
- The length of the miter box, with an increase in which the accuracy of the cut increases.
- The presence of a protractor.
- The depth and width of the through cuts in the side walls of the channel: the deeper they are, the less sensitive the miter box is to changes in cutting conditions. the state of lubrication, an increase in the temperature of the hacksaw blade and the workpiece. On the other hand, when sawing large diameter pipes, the increased width of the cuts will negatively affect accuracy.
- Body material: steel (cast or stamped) miter box should definitely be preferred over plastic, although the latter are lighter.
How to cut a pipe at a 45 degree angle? When working with a miter box, first you need to wash down the material, and then, after making sure that the wall is perpendicular, gradually increase the pressure on the hacksaw blade.
How to properly and safely cut metal angle grinder
This refers, of course, to tubular blanks. If such work is performed often, it is enough to purchase a special angle grinder, otherwise it is better to get a support disk, which will be able to support the main one during the angular cut.
The disc rotates very quickly, which causes hot sparks and chips to fly away at high speed. For safety, it is strongly recommended that you protect your eyes, wear gloves, safety shoes and headphones.
Before cutting straight off the pipe of the angle grinder, select the blade that best suits your application. Make sure the maximum rotational speed of the disc is higher than the maximum rotational speed of the tool; this will protect the disc from excessive stress and destruction, eliminating the risk of serious injury.
Abrasive end wheels are used to cut pipes. The raised and depressed center discs are ideal for hitting tight corners and ridges as they allow for different angles of entry into the metal; these discs should not be driven too deep, as changed disc geometry can interfere with and damage the rig.
Let’s briefly consider the possibilities of cutting discs, which are installed on an angle grinder:
- Blades with aluminum dioxide cutting edges. They are ineffective for oblique cuts, therefore they are used when cutting pipes up to ¾ “.
- Abrasive discs made of aluminum oxide, aluminum oxide or silicon carbide. They require an angle disc, with which they can cut the pipe under 450 easily, accurately and quickly.
- Petal discs. Used for cutting pipes made of non-ferrous metals and alloys.
- High speed steel discs. The most versatile type of tooling, practically NOT having any restrictions on the number of spindle revolutions. Angle disc is required.
What tools are used to cut pipes
Now in the arsenal of almost any home craftsman there is a universal grinding machine. “angle grinder”. How to work with her?
Bevel cutting technology
If almost everyone can cope with the task of how to cut the pipe exactly, if desired, then it is much more difficult to perform the correct angular cut of the pipe, moreover, at home. And it is very difficult to cut the end face of a part in a figured way, if you need to insert one. non-vertical, and an inclined part of the pipeline into another. How to cut a pipe for a pipe is an almost insoluble task without knowledge in the field of descriptive geometry and joint development. There are, however, still applications for the computer, but there must be careful scaling. Therefore, if possible, you should either avoid such profile joints altogether, or use various fittings.
How to cut thin walled pipes
The specification is essential if a powered tool is used. For thin-walled pipes, it is important to maintain a clean cut along the entire wall thickness.
When using thin cutting discs, remember that they generate less heat during operation, generate less tool vibration, perform cuts in less time and waste less metal per cut.
- Clamp the work piece securely close to the intended cutting point and ensure that the work piece does not move.
- Using the template, check the correct installation of the tool and the attachment of the disc, and start the sander with no load. This is necessary in order to eliminate Possible problems with wheel balancing.
- At the beginning of dividing the workpiece, the disc is always fed at an angle of 90 ° to the workpiece. Make sure that the protective cover is located between the workpiece and the workpiece. During cutting, it is necessary to avoid hitting the disc on the metal, for which the process begins from the area where the metal is thinnest.
Methods for cutting large diameter pipes
The concept of “large diameter” should be considered in relation NOT to main pipelines, but to those that can practically be found in the household. In accordance with the norms of SNiP 2.04.01-85 Du for internal water supply and sewerage systems DOES NOT exceed 80. 100 mm.
Most pipe cutters are NOT designed to work with this diameter, so you will need to use a hacksaw. Hacksaw machines can cut with a circular motion of the blade, or with a reciprocating motion. The productivity in the latter case is lower, but the durability of the hacksaw blade increases. Since the cutting process can take a long time, care should be taken to ensure the best cut quality. For this:
- The teeth are periodically lubricated with medium viscosity oil (such as “Industrial. 20”);
- Correctly distribute the maximum force: the longitudinal stiffness of the blade was, and the tool steel was hard and brittle. Therefore, breaking the canvas is easier than ever;
- At high-speed cutting, due to the heating of the workpiece, a spontaneous thermal expansion of the metal occurs. Therefore, the width of the cut should be adjusted by selecting the blade of the required thickness;
- Closer to the end of the separation process, the cutting speed is reduced to avoid “falling” of the blade into the clamping device.
Additional difficulties arise when it is necessary to cut a workpiece from soft metals. copper or aluminum. “Spreading” the metal of the workpiece on the hacksaw blade degrades the quality of the cutting zone, therefore, periodically, the side surface of the blade should be cleaned from chips.
Successful corner cutting of round pipes requires some skill and dexterity. It is best to use a miter box, and when using a mechanized tool, special angular discs that support the main.
-advice on how to cut straight off a round pipe angle grinder: