How to hang a curtain rod on the wall: simple instructions and tips from the pros
What is important to consider when buying a baguette
Before you figure out how to install a curtain rod on the wall, we will tell you what to look for when buying a product. There are different designs on the market:
Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages. They must be taken into account. But the installation is greatly influenced only by the type of brackets with which the products are completed. Several options are distinguished depending on the material:
- Plastic. The cheapest, but the most fragile. They are great for tulles and light curtains. When hanging a heavy canvas, the mount sags, and over time it bursts.
- Wooden. They help to bring to life bright design solutions. Their strength directly depends on the quality of workmanship. Therefore, the components must be carefully inspected, to ensure that there are no knots, chips and cracks..
- Metallic. The most reliable and durable curtain rods. If the budget allows, preference should be given to them..
Each of the options has its own design features. Many of them only affect the appearance. But the type of mounting plate determines the reliability of the wall attachment:
- Three-point. Allows you to firmly fix the structure and avoid turning the rod holder. It is ideal for installation in concrete and wood. If the holes are located close to each other, installation in porous materials becomes more difficult: aerated concrete, hollow brick, and others. A fragment of a weakened surface may crumble or chip.
- Single point. The only dowel hole is in the middle of the mounting cup. At the same time, under the weight of heavy curtains, the bracket may tilt slightly downward. But this makes it possible to firmly screw it to the surface of the hollow materials. It is enough to choose a dowel of the required type and length.
If you have to fix the three-point “cup” to the hollow base, we drive the supporting dowel only into the upper hole. In the other two we twist small self-tapping screws to avoid turning the bracket.
We decide on the place of attaching the curtain rod to the wall
Depending on the location of the baguette relative to the window, the same curtains can look different. With their help, you can accentuate the status of the interior or visually increase the height of the ceiling. But, before talking about design, here are the minimum requirements for the location of the baguette. He must:
- Be at least 5 cm from the upper edge of the window slope.
- Project out to the sides outside the window by 30-50 cm.
- Protect from the window opening so that the curtains do not cling to the radiators and the window sill.
The listed criteria are based on ergonomics. You get:
- full opening of curtains with maximum light opening;
- the ability to put the window on airing with the curtains drawn;
- convenience when covering curtains.
In addition to ergonomics, the location of the curtain rod influences the design of the room. Here are the three most popular options for its placement:
- According to the minimum requirements. Visually, the window opening becomes smaller. Thanks to this, it does not draw attention to itself. This method is great when you need to focus on the decoration of the room..
- Installation exactly in the middle between the window and the ceiling. This installation option looks best if the ceiling is higher than the standard 2.8 m.You neatly frame the window opening and do not hide the decoration of the room.
- Under the overlap. You mask a narrow strip of wallpaper and visually increase the height of the ceiling.
How to make a pipe curtain rod using a hand held pipe cutter via Funky Junk Interiors
Tubular curtain rods: types, photos
They are made from metal, plastic and wood. Metal tubular cornices can be made of aluminum, bronze, steel and other alloys. There are round tubular cornices made of ferrous metal or aluminum alloy, laminated with a thin film imitating wood species. These are the cheapest of this category..
Eaves from pipes – a traditional way of decorating a window
DIY cutting and fixing up our wardrobe/closet hanger rod/rail/tube
Profile or rail
One of the most interesting and diverse groups. Curtain rail can be made of metal or plastic. Plastic, with good quality, behave well in operation, but are suitable only for light fabrics.
Types of profile cornices for hidden installation
Metallic ones are usually made from aluminum and alloys. In terms of reliability, they are good, but if the metal in the guide is poorly sanded, it can be problematic to draw or open the curtains. But this passes over time: the existing irregularities are smoothed out. If you want to speed up this process, you can arm yourself with very fine grit sandpaper for metal and even out all the errors. Should help.
Section: round or square
Basically, tubular curtain rods have a circular cross-section. This is a classic. But there is also a square section with corresponding square “rings” for hanging curtains. They look stylish, suitable for interiors decorated in modern trends: art deco, loft, minimalism.
Square tubular curtain rods look stylish.
But how convenient it is to use them, how well such “rings” will slide, this is the question. Everything can be good if the surfaces are perfectly sanded and fitted. If there are even the slightest irregularities … It is easier in this regard with wooden curtain rods. They can be varnished. Then normal sliding is ensured. Although, no one bothers to varnish and metal …
Which is better
To say that some type of curtain rods is better, and some worse is wrong. Each is good in its own way, and each has its own shortcomings. It is necessary to select the type of curtain rod for curtains based on several criteria: the design of the room, the type of window and curtains, the desired effect.
For example, for laconic curtains without a lambrequin, any type of cornice is suitable, including tubular or rail. Tubular are more suitable for rooms with high ceilings or, at least, where the distance from the top of the window to the ceiling is more than 20 cm, or better – 30 cm or more. Otherwise, they look “not very”.
It is necessary to choose a curtain rod for the interior, but do not forget about the technical details.
Tubular curtains are not very suitable for curtains with lambrequins, as they stand out too much, in addition, this type of curtain in combination with pipes and rings does not look very good. For lambrequins, the rail or string version is more suitable. In this case, the cornice itself is hidden, so that its aesthetic value does not matter. For some styles, the baguette version will look better..
Number of rods (pipes)
You also need to choose how many rods / pipes / lines you need curtain rods for. It depends on the type of curtain. They are:
One, two and three rows
Single is used if only tulle or curtains are hung. Double – if both are required. Triple cornices are needed for models with lambrequins. With this, perhaps, everything is clear and problems can arise only if you decide to replace the curtains. If one string / pipe turns out to be superfluous – not a problem, and if there is a shortage, a cornice replacement is usually required.
By installation method
First of all, curtain rods differ in the way they are installed. There are wall and ceiling. The choice depends on your desire and the type of ceiling. The load-bearing capacity of the walls is usually sufficient to fasten the eaves even under heavy curtains. Problems may arise only if the walls are made of aerated concrete or sheathed with plasterboard. But for such situations, there are standard solutions – the use of embedded, chemical anchors or special dowels.
The most common type of curtain rods
Situations are different with ceilings. There are no problems with standard problems, but with tension or suspended ones you need to think in advance. In the case of tension ones, a ceiling cornice is usually used for curtains, and for fastening the ceiling canvas, from a wooden bar or metal guides, a structure is erected with sufficient bearing capacity.
And it is not even possible to install a cornice on all suspended ceilings. You can attach it to drywall, but the drywall itself may not withstand heavy curtains. This is only possible for light curtains such as tulle. For heavier fabrics, wall cornices are used or ceiling cornices are attached, but to the ceiling itself.
For stretch ceilings, string curtain rods are usually used, which are mounted to the ceiling
Other types of suspended ceilings are plastic panels, armstrong, etc. – generally not capable of carrying any extraneous loads. The best way out is, even during the renovation, before installing the ceiling, to install a mortgage – an additional profile or a wooden block, well fixed to the ceiling. Then attach the curtain rod to it.
We install fasteners reliable and often, on the assumption that it will have a constant load of several kilograms, plus sharp jerks when pulling / opening the curtains. So do not skimp on fasteners.
Curtain rods: we determine the parameters
We determine the length of the cornice based on your wishes
If you need to let in as much light as possible into the room or you need to visually make it wider, when open, the curtains are placed on the adjacent wall to the right, left or on both sides. Depending on the density of the curtains and the number of folds, this requires 30 to 60 cm on one or both sides. Therefore, to calculate the length of the curtain rods, 60 or 120 cm are added to the window width (more / less can be, depending on your desire). Then the task is to find the specified length of the cornice, or close to the found figure.
How to choose curtain rods
Windows in residential and administrative premises are one of the most important parts that form the style of interior decoration. And their appearance is formed by curtains and cornices. In this part we will talk about what curtain rods can be..
When installing the eaves, it is important to choose the right place for its location. One of the criteria to pay attention to is the distance of the structure from the ceiling. This value is not regulated by any standards or design guidelines. The optimum distance is 5 to 15 cm from the surface. But no one bothers the owner of the apartment to move the cornice higher or lower. The main thing is that the product with curtains is in perfect harmony with the main interior..
Please note that when marking, experts recommend focusing on the plane of the ceiling, and not on the level or sash of the window.
Modern curtain rods are simple prefabricated products. This allows you to choose certain elements of it to your taste. The market for accessories for curtain rods is quite diverse. It includes many products that can be divided into several groups:
- Fasteners. This includes all products with which the structure is fixed to the base..
- Brackets. These products come in various shapes and sizes. Both round and rectangular designs can be found on the market..
- Main elements. This includes rings for curtain rods, plugs, hangers and other products that are easy to replace..
Please note that these products are not standardized. Therefore, if you need to repair a broken part, it is advisable to choose a high-quality analogue.
Assembling the curtain rod is a simple operation that requires a little care and adherence to the manufacturer’s recommendations, which will take no more than 20 minutes. But at the same time, it is important not only to fix the structure, but also to correctly fit it into the interior..
The installation of the cornice can be divided into several sequential steps:
- Initially, you need to choose the type of construction that suits the style of your room. The length of the support should be slightly larger than the width of the window opening. This will allow you to effectively cover it with curtains..
- The next step is markup. The cornice should be located at a distance of 10 cm from the top of the window opening. At the same time, pay attention to whether the structure will interfere with the opening of the sash. If this does not happen, you can nail the cornice below. It is advisable to hold the cornice with the help of an assistant when marking. This will align the structure with the ceiling and other planes. But the ceiling should always be taken as a basis. When everything is aligned, the places for the fasteners are simply marked. This must be done as accurately as possible so that there are no distortions. It is also important to pay attention to the symmetry of the arrangement of the fastening systems..
Many experts recommend using a third bracket if the curtain rod is longer than 2.4 m. It will provide an optimal level of stability..
- The process ends with fixing the product. To do this, at the site of the marks, holes are formed for a dowel and a self-tapping screw. If the wall is made of soft materials (wood), then you can immediately fasten the bracket with a screw or nail it down. The type of fastener is selected by the owner of the house, depending on the characteristics of the surface.
Installation of ceiling cornices is carried out using almost the same algorithm. Only the plane against which the alignment is performed changes. It should be noted that when installing on the ceiling, you should pay attention to the distance between the wall and the cornice. In this case, the curtains should not rest on the windowsill and form a parallel with the wall..
How to assemble?
Before starting the installation of the curtain rod, it must first be assembled. This process depends directly on the product model..
It consists of a solid sheet of metal, which excludes assembly. Some metal modifications are complemented by brackets. To fix them, you need to tighten several bolts to form a one-piece system..
The simplest option is a tire cornice.
The most difficult to assemble is a two-row cornice. This process consists of the following sequential steps:
- First of all, hanging rings for curtains are put on the pipe. Their number depends on the size of the canvas and its weight..
- After that, brackets are put on the pipes on each side. These structures are equipped with special grooves, where the cornice is placed. It is important to arrange these elements symmetrically. This ensures an even distribution of the load..
- When the pipes are dressed, they are fixed with special screws or bolts. Often, manufacturers equip the pipe and bracket with special grooves that need to be aligned. This makes assembly a bit easier.
- The assembly procedure ends with the installation of plugs, which can be plastic or metal.
Cornice is an essential attribute of every residential building. It supports the curtains, giving them a certain look. In order for this structure to serve for a long time, it should be securely fixed to the ceiling or wall..
Modern curtain rods are made from different materials, but almost all of them are equipped with identical fastening systems. Conditionally, the fastening of these structures can be divided into several types:
- Wireframe. This approach involves fixing the cornice to the base directly through the frame itself. This includes plastic or aluminum tires, which are equipped with special grooves for the movement of suspensions..
- Fixation with brackets. This approach is the most common, since almost all types of cornices (wooden, string, end, etc.) are equipped with it. Particular attention should be paid here to the baguette cornices, which hide the bracket with the help of an outer strip. This type of fastening can be used on almost any structure of this type, including bus models.
Depending on the location of the fasteners, the following types of fasteners can be distinguished:
- Wall. The cornice is fixed directly to the wall using self-tapping screws or dowels. Many models of brackets are equipped with retractable elbows, which allow you to adjust the distance from the window to the curtains. Among the advantages of this approach are the variety of fastening system designs, as well as its simplicity. You can install such a cornice even without any skills. But the design visually reduces the height of the room. Some models of brackets are short, which does not allow obtaining the desired distance from the wall to the curtains. Structures are unable to withstand significant weight, therefore they need to be reinforced with additional fasteners.
- Ceiling. The base is fixed to the ceiling. It should be noted that there are special devices that allow you to fix the structure both on a concrete and plasterboard base. This type of attachment is able to withstand significant loads, and also visually expands the space. With the help of ceiling hangers, you can install the cornice almost anywhere in the room, dividing it into several zones. But installation is impossible on stretch ceilings if special holes were not prepared for the fasteners..
Please note that busbar structures and products equipped with brackets can be attached to these surfaces. The last option differs only in the shape of the fasteners.
How to hang a curtain rod on the wall?
- Subtleties of the process
- Mounting options
- How to assemble?
- Important nuances
- Ceiling distance
- How to attach to drywall?
Decorating rooms is often done with curtains. These attributes are complemented by beautiful and unique cornices that fit perfectly into the interior. It is important to select and install such systems correctly. There are many modifications of such supports. Therefore, if you do not know how to hang the curtain rod on the wall, you should consult with an experienced specialist..
Subtleties of the process
The variety of curtain rods is quite wide, which allows you to combine them with many types of curtains. Moreover, their length can reach significant sizes. Such structures must be securely attached to at least 3 brackets. If small children live in the house, use closed fasteners. When installing, it is important to take into account the distance between the window and the curtains, which depends on the length of the brackets or the location of the suspensions on the ceiling. This value should be 10 cm, but this is not necessary..
If the curtains cover the batteries, then it is imperative to leave a gap of 3-5 cm between these elements, which will provide optimal ventilation..
Before attaching the bar, you should choose its design and dimensions. Many argue that it should protrude about 15 cm beyond the width of the window.Fixation is made only with high-quality fasteners that can withstand the weight of the curtains.
How to attach to drywall?
Plasterboard ceilings are very popular today and are installed by many apartment owners. The disadvantage of this material is that it does not have sufficient strength. But at the same time, it is still possible to install a cornice on such a surface using several types of fasteners:
- Expanding dowels. These include the butterfly dowel and the umbrella dowel. A feature of this fastener is that when the screw is tightened, the inner part unbends, forming a large supporting area. This allows in some way to reduce the pressure on the drywall sheet. This installation method is only suitable for light curtains..
- Anchor. This option for attaching the cornice to the plasterboard ceiling allows you to withstand significant weight. Please note that the length of the anchor should be several centimeters greater than the thickness of the sheet. This is due to the fact that the fasteners are fixed in the main ceiling, which is often a concrete slab.
To fix the anchor, they initially make a through hole and enter the ceiling by about 4-5 cm. After that, the hook is driven into the hole. The resulting system allows curtains with significant weight to be supported.
The very same eaves placement algorithm is similar to that used for ordinary surfaces. Here you also need to carefully mark up and set exactly all elements relative to all planes..
Most likely, the words are inappropriate here: it is better to see once than hear! The following selection demonstrates spectacular examples in the interior.
Plastic ceiling cornice
A curtain rod is almost always required for hanging curtains. This is an auxiliary structural detail that many do not attach importance to. However, it is precisely such subtle details that give the interior a stylistic completeness. And for this, you do not always need to spend money on expensive things, it is enough to purchase a plastic ceiling cornice.
The advantages of this design are:
– high strength (withstand a load of up to one hundred kilograms);
– moisture resistance, hygiene. The curtain rods are easy to wash, and the hooks can be left on the curtains during washing: they will not be damaged by water, high temperature, or detergents;
– ceiling cornices look great in the interior;
– plasticity. With the help of a plastic cornice, you can create curly structures, which is not feasible when using wood or metal;
– installation on the ceiling allows you to visually raise it.
The standard profile length can be from 1.2 to 6 meters. If necessary, you can build up the cornice. For this, connection elements are included in the package: their use does not prevent the hooks from sliding. There are short profiles (from 0.25 meters) – these are used when decorating bay windows.
The width of the ceiling curtain rod is 1 – 20 cm, depending on the number of rows and turns.
Cornices differ in the number of rows. Single-row are used when hanging one curtain (or a set of two of the same). It can be used if the curtain is hung in the middle of the room as an internal partition.
Double-row ceiling plastic cornice – a classic combination of curtains with curtains, or any other set consisting of different types of curtains. If there is a third row, it is intended for a lambrequin.
The standard profile color is white. The advantage of the material is that it does not fade or turn yellow over time. Various decorative overlays are used for decoration. Most popular colors:
– imitation of different types of wood.
When installed in a ceiling recess, the cornice is completely closed. In this case, its decorative qualities do not play a role. If there is no niche, the decorative function is performed by the tape for the ceiling cornice. This is a full-length decorative strip that covers the mount.
Cornices are made of PVC. This is a profile product with runners cut in the lower part and holes for fastening. Complete set of PVC ceiling cornice:
– hooks for curtains;
– plugs to restrict the movement of the canvases;
– if it is a ceiling cornice with a turn, then the turning parts themselves (at a right angle, at 45 degrees), allowing you to adjust the shape of the product;
– brackets for installation (they can be used to strengthen the cornice on the wall);
– decorative ribbons, strips for decorating the cornice from the outside.
The standard way of fixing is to the ceiling. There are holes in the profile, through which recesses are drilled for fasteners in the ceiling or the upper wall of the window niche. Fastening is done with self-tapping screws and dowels.
Video “How to attach the ceiling cornice”:
In some cases, it is not possible to install a cornice on the ceiling (for example, if the ceiling is stretched). For such situations, brackets for wall or window mounting are included with the product. Their length can vary, usually from ten to thirty centimeters. When installing a two- or three-row structure, the brackets are placed at a distance of 0.5-0.6 meters from each other.
When the plastic ceiling cornice is fixed, hooks for curtains are inserted into it, stoppers and close the ends with plugs.
Rounded edges (baguette ceiling cornices)
If the window is on a long wall, or wall-to-wall curtains are not part of your plans, the plank should be just slightly wider than the window. But not everyone likes this “unfinished” look, and for such cases there are roundings for the corners. They can be in several versions. Plastic ceiling cornices have special inserts with a certain radius. There are for right and left turns. They are made so that a curtain (curtain) can go around the turn.
Ceiling rails for curtains with rounded ends
Corpus ceiling cornices with rounded ends have a different device. The rails themselves, along which the curtains move, are straight, and the decorative strip that is placed in front of them can be rounded (pictured below).
Rounding for profile ceiling cornice
There is also such an option as flexible ceiling cornices. They can be bent as you like, but they are not very convenient to use. Too elastic material is not what is required for these products, so we recommend using this type of ceiling cornice only if you have not found other options.
Types and types
According to the number of runners along which curtains can move, ceiling cornices are single-row, double-row, three-row. In fact, you can find a structure with seven runners – for complex structures, but the listed are the most common.
Inexpensive version of the ceiling cornice made of plastic
Plastic or aluminum
On sale there are ceiling curtain rods for curtains made of plastic and aluminum. If we compare these two materials, of course, metal is more reliable and stronger, withstands heavy loads. But if you are using light curtains and curtains, it is quite possible to put plastic. You just need to look for thick walls and it is better to see and hold in your hands so that you can evaluate the thickness of the walls and the quality of the casting.
Aluminum ceiling curtain rods are much more expensive, and with light curtains, the margin of safety will simply not be needed. Although, of course, they can be used for many years. This cannot be said about plastic, but the costs are several times less. In general, it’s up to you.
Heavy-duty curtains require reinforced aluminum ceiling eaves
If the curtains are made of heavy material, then you will need aluminum ceiling cornices. Moreover, in the description, look for an indication that they are intended specifically for heavy curtains. Their hooks-runners are more powerful, the profiles are made of thicker metal, the fasteners have a large support area and they must be fixed on a larger number of dowels. In general, ceiling curtain rods for heavy curtains are reinforced..
How to determine the size
If you want the curtains to be from wall to wall, then the cornice should be almost the same length. It can be 10 cm shorter, but it can be close. If you are only going to close the window, then the length of the cornice should be at least 50 cm greater than the width of the window opening. More is possible, but less is not desirable.
In general, everyone determines the length for themselves. You can proceed from the following considerations:
If the window is large, there is more than enough light in the room, you can take the cornice of the minimum length: the width of the window opening is 40 cm (20 cm on each side). In this case, the open curtains will slightly overlap the window..
The minimum distance from the edge of the window opening is 20 cm
There is one thing to consider when choosing the length of the ceiling cornice. It must be fixed so that the farthest row of curtains (tulle) does not touch the heating radiators. This should be taken into account, because not all of our rooms have perfect geometry..
Ceiling curtain rods: types, sizes, installation
Window decoration helps to make the room comfortable and cozy. And the design of window openings also has its own trends. The latter is ceiling-to-floor curtains. For implementation, you will need ceiling cornices. About what they are and let’s talk.
Ceiling curtain rods can be of several types:
- string (cable);
- profile (bus)
Types of concealed ceiling cornices
The construction of the strings is simple and straightforward. There are two fasteners, a long thin steel (less often nylon) cord, along which the hooks slide. The number of strings is from one to three. These options are good for minimalist interiors. They are also used if the cornice is not visible: in the niches of plasterboard or stretch ceilings, behind decorative overlays. It is also the cheapest and at the same time functional option..
Ceiling cornices for curtains of a profile type can be with control and Velcro for a lambrequin or decorative strip
Profile ceiling cornices have a plastic or aluminum body in which grooves are formed. Sometimes they are called “rails” because they are very similar in purpose. Hooks of a special shape are inserted into the grooves. There are also sliders. They are distinguished by the presence of rotating wheels. The second option is more expensive, but they also move much easier. Curtains are attached to these runners / hooks.
Ceiling pipe cornice
There are models of the usual curtain rods with pipes, but which are attached to the ceiling. Even the simplest design looks completely different. This option can also be used in modern interiors. But with complex shapes of windows and balconies – in bay windows and other planning features – difficulties will arise with such cornices..
With decorative strip (front molding)
If you are considering curtain rails as decoration, you will love the idea of a ceiling cornice with decorative strip. To install the trim strip, either adhesive tape can be attached to the front side or a groove can be made..
If adhesive tape is already attached to the ceiling cornice, you can sew a finishing strip from curtain material or from decorative fabric that is found in the design of the room. In general, which one you like best or suits best.
Options for attaching the decorative strip to the ceiling cornice
There is another option (in the photo, bottom right picture). There are grooves along the body of the cornice, due to which a plastic decorative tape is attached. In this case, the choice is limited: you can choose from what the manufacturer of a particular curtain rod offers. True, there is an option: to glue the same adhesive tape to the end, the counterpart – to plastic and fasten it as in the first option.
For bay windows (rounded)
Plastic curtain rods can also be called modular. They consist of a set of elements with which you can assemble a structure of the required shape. It’s just not very convenient that not every corner can be assembled. Nevertheless, even with such a set, you can assemble a ceiling cornice for a bay window..
Ceiling plastic curtain rod resembles a designer
The second option for a bay window is a flexible ceiling cornice. This is a profile made of a special polymer, which, with sufficient vertical rigidity in the horizontal plane, can bend as you like. Of course, there is a minimum bend radius, but it is not too large. Depends on the specific brand and firm, but usually less than 10 cm.This is enough for a bay window of any shape.
Another version of the ceiling cornice for a bay window
It may come in handy on the balcony, in the attic and wherever there are non-standard designs that it is desirable to cover with curtains. With the help of a flexible ceiling cornice, you can organize a canopy for the bed, attach a curtain that will separate one part of the room from another.