A few helpful tips from experienced craftsmen that will quickly help trim baseboards in the corners without a jig:
- Ceiling strips are installed after preparing all the parts;
- If there is an imperfection in the foam plastic skirting boards, you can fix it with a regular knife. If it is made of a different material, it is better to use a file;
- cut plinths should be from the side, and then try them on to the right corner, to immediately detect errors;
- Before finishing cuts, it is advisable to make a few trial runs on scraps of deburring to avoid mistakes;
- joints on the corners of already glued plinths, it is advisable to treat with silicone sealant or finishing putty;
- Cut the skirting board is required on a straight and firm plane with the mark upwards;
- To mark an outside corner, the baseboard must extend the full width beyond the corner;
- To mark the inside corner, the length of the baseboard is counted from the corner;
- The template of a home baseboard may well be a table pressed against the wall. It forms a perfectly straight corner.
This material is intended for the decorative finishing of the ceiling area, visually separating it from the walls and covering the joints of various finishing elements. Almost any variant of decorative design, interior design involves the use of such details. Otherwise the room will look unfinished.
To fix this detail are used taps, which are attached to the ceiling with glue. But there is a problem of how to properly trim the ends of the skirting boards so that they successfully fit together. There are rooms of non-standard configuration, where wit is required for the normal docking of the material. How to cut ceiling plinths in the corners? It can be trimmed and docked with or without tools.
The choice of fixing option depends on the type of product:
- Of PVC the cheapest, but also the most brittle, prone to defects, but easy to use, it can be cut with a knife.
- Styrofoam is also inexpensive, brittle, requiring a hacksaw for metal, although easily cut. Slightly more expensive other version of extruded polystyrene foam, it is more difficult to cut, but it crumbles less.
- Polyurethane is the most expensive and most water resistant, solid and elastic. It is more difficult to work with, as it deforms at high temperatures.
- Wooden dense and heavy material, is cut only with a hacksaw.
How to cut ceiling plinth in the corners without a jigsaw the first time
With the problem of cutting the outer and inner corners of the ceiling plinth, probably everyone who has ever carried out repair work with his hands. Ceiling plinth, it is also called a batten, in the repair is used to hide the uneven boundary between the wall and ceiling and to give the interior completeness. How to cut the corner of the ceiling plinths without a pitchfork ? This is what we will talk about in our article.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners without a chisel? If you do not have at hand a chisel, it is not a problem. Cut outer and inner corners can also be done without a jigsaw.
Today on the market, there are various sizes, shapes and colors, with or without embossed designs. The material from which they are made, also varies. Mostly it is: polyurethane, polystyrene foam, polystyrene and polyvinyl chloride. But recently, the most popular in the repair work has become a wooden ceiling plinth. Its aesthetic appearance allows you to add elegance and austerity to the design of the room.
What are they made of and what is the name of
The very first skirting boards on the ceiling were made of plaster. They were cast in special forms, then the mortar was installed on the ceiling. Called such shaped decorations dingbats. Today you can see them not often: they are expensive, and outwardly almost no different from cheaper options. And the name is almost lost.
The most popular today ceiling plinths of polyurethane or polystyrene. They are inexpensive, look great, easy to install, have a wide range of profiles and patterns. They can be from 5mm to 250mm wide. They are used in almost any room, decorated in any style. The exception. wooden houses with the appropriate interior. Most often wooden products are used here. the style dictates its own terms.
Part of the assortment in a specialized store
There is also a similar finish made of plastic. It is mainly installed in bathrooms. But even in damp rooms, polyurethane skirting boards can be mounted without fear. they are not afraid of damp.
To cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of any material, use one of the methods described below. The only exception is plastic skirting boards: it is possible to formalize such a corner only with the use of prefabricated corners.
Features of cutting the ceiling plinth
Can not say that it should always be used. There are interior designs, which can do without it, but still the appearance of the room without a cornice seems unfinished. With the direct attachment of the case is simple, they just need to be attached to the glue. But cutting the material is a lot more complicated. Even a simple in shape room has internal corners, where the ceiling plinth strips need to be beautifully docked. If you have to finish a room with a heavy configuration, you will need to make the outer corner and dock the edges of the baguette.
FRENCH BAGUETTE | delicious homemade bread | easy recipe
Choosing a tool for trimming the baseboard
First you need to decide on the tools. This work requires:
If the skirting board is foam or polyurethane, it is easy to cut. Will help in this building scissors in which you can change the blade.
Cutting the ceiling plinth with a wire cutter
The chair is a metal or wooden triangular box. Its two sides vertically have through cuts at an angle of 45° and 90°. You can use this tool to cut the material for straight sections.
Finishing inside corners
The standard room has the same corners. That’s why you should start with the corners. Before you cut the baguette, you need to decide which side will join the ceiling and wall. This is determined depending on the topography and material. If the product is asymmetrical, then a wide shelf it must be attached to the wall.
How to trim the corners on the baseboard correctly? When cutting the left corner, place the baguette in the unit. The longest part should be on your left and the area you are going to cut should be placed in the tool with a 45 degree overlap to the right slit. The part of the curtain rod that you plan to glue to the wall, press it to the side of the tool that is closer to you, and the part that will be glued to the ceiling. to the bottom. While the material is in this position, cut the corner with a special knife through the existing slit.
How to cut the skirting board on the right side? To do this, put it in the jig from the right side and put it to the left slit at 45 degrees. When you cut the corners of both parts of the eaves, put them in the intended place, but without glue, in order to make sure that they converge. If you find any irregularities, you can trim them with construction scissors. When everything fits together, the trim can be glued.
Working with outer corners
The outer corners can be seen in a room that has internal projections. How to cut the corner of the baseboard in this case? Trimming the ceiling skirting boards for these corners is the same as for the interior. Just remember that the left-hand cornice must be cut at a completely different angle. Cut through the left-hand slit. As a consequence, the part of the baseboard that connects to the ceiling will be longer. Do the same work with the right side of the molding. Put it in the jig on the right side and trim it.
Note that the edge of the bottom of the material must match the corner of the wall.
Finishing sharp and obtuse corners
Right angles in the room are not always. In new buildings, walls can be pointed or blunt. As a consequence, a tool such as a wire will not help you in trimming baseboards. How to properly cut a ceiling molding in this situation? Very simple, it is enough to do the fitting of such corners.
Put the ledge against the left wall, fully pressed to the ceiling, as if you were going to glue it. How to cut a ceiling plinth? The plan of action is as follows:
- Take a pencil and mark a line along the top edge. Do the same procedure, only place the baseboard on the opposite side.
- Look at the ceiling and look for the intersection of the two lines. Next, you need to take two skirting boards and apply on both sides of the corner. Then put a mark on them, which was formed due to the intersection of the lines.
- Connect it to the opposite corner of the piece of material.
- Place the skirting board on a perfectly flat surface, hold it against it with the required edge. Next, use a construction knife to cut the skirting board along the existing lines, keeping it upright.
- Proceed in the same way to cut the outer corners.
How to trim the skirting board for the outside corner
If you cut the skirting boards at a 90° angle, you will have a hole between the boards
The outer corner should be cut in this pattern.
- Mark the dimensions of the trim by laying it on the ceiling.
- Lean the skirting board against the closest wall of the wood joist, holding it with your left hand. Choose a 45° position, so that the handle is close to your left hand. Cut the fillet.
- Position the second skirting board against the same wall, hold it in place with your right hand.
- Choose a 45° angle so that the handle of the hacksaw is close to your right hand. Cut the.
How to cut ceiling plinth in corners neatly and competently
Hello niche warmly beloved readers and readers. We are glad that you, as before, don’t forget to read the reviews of our blog and adopt the experience of dacha life accumulated by years. The countryside isn’t just a vegetable garden, orchard, or river and forest behind it. it’s also a comfortable house where you spend as much time as you do in your own apartment.
It is not superfluous to remind that the repair in it should be done qualitatively, because what can be a rest among the mediocre interior? Probably the same as the interior itself without beautiful ceilings. You can order them from specialists, but it’s expensive. It is much cheaper to roll up the sleeves and make the arch yourself, for example, from the same plasterboard.
The main thing is to know how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, because this seemingly trifling work is actually full of nuances, and mistakes and carelessness will easily negate all previous efforts.
Cutting with a power plier
The angle of the baseboard is adjusted using a special tool, the gouge. Structurally, this tool is a tray made of wood, metal or plastic. There are vertical slots on certain sections of the power plier that allow you to cut various parts at an angle of 45 or 90 degrees.
On sale, you can meet more complex devices, which, in addition to the already described angles, have the possibility of a 60-degree cut. There is also a professional standard crosscutting machine that can be fitted with a swivel mechanism. This tool differs from the simplified tool in that it has the ability to fix the cutting blade at any angle. It is necessary to know how to properly glue the ceiling plinth in the corners, so that everything looks beautiful.
Mounting baguettes in the corner using a jig saw
First of all, make sure that the angle to be glued is exactly 90°. This can be done using a professional angle gauge or a large angle piece. If the measurement showed that the angle is straight or deviates from 90° quite a bit, the plinth will be the best device for trimming corner joints.
How to cut a skirting board in the corners? In order for the two baseboards to match perfectly, their edges should be cut at a 45° angle, mirroring each other. First, fix the plinth in a stationary state on a stable solid support, and then proceed with the operation, because if during the cutting there will be a shift of the rail, the direction of the cut may be inaccurate and the joint will be a gap.
When cutting, the skirting boards should be placed in the opposite direction to each other, and they can be processed separately or both at the same time. In the latter case, lay the slats inside the device, pressing them firmly against each other with their back sides. If you put in both baguettes alternately on one side, then the first bar is cut on the right guides of the chair at a 45° angle, and the second on the left grooves.
To check the cut, align the joint between the two dressed strips on a straight table surface. If everything is OK, then make a second check at the place of installation.
If there are slight differences, make the necessary corrections with a knife or sandpaper. And only after making sure that the exact fit, proceed to fix the skirting board on the glue or self-tapping screws.
To cut the baguette on the outer corner, start them in the jig from different sides and press to the far wall from you. Cut into two different 45° slots in the jigsaw.
To properly shape the inner corner, press the fillet in the near wall. Make the cut in the same way as in the previous case.
Fixing the prepared skirting boards in place with adhesive
The technology of attaching skirting boards has already been considered in detail in the earlier articles “How to glue a skirting board made of foam” and “Skirting board for a suspended ceiling”. Let us remind you of the basics:
- The glue should be applied not only to the back of the batten, but also to the joint cuts;
- The rivers must be kept pressed together until the glue sets;
- the curing time of the adhesive by the manufacturer of the material is indicated on the packaging;
- After fixing the baseboard, all places of loose fit should be sealed with putty or sealant;
- In the case of a stretch ceiling, the side adjacent to it, the adhesive is not smeared, and fastening is carried out only on the wall.
Your task is to make the joint monolithic, without gaps or cracks. Therefore, the issue of pre-fitting is the basis of success.