Recommendations for the home master
- Experienced builders recommend cutting the planks from the side and trying them on immediately on the ceiling. If irregularities are found, you can trim the baguette in the direction of the product adjoining the ceiling;
- After preliminary fitting, the finished cornices are attached to the wall and to the ceiling. Seams and corner joints are sealed with silicone sealant;
- Before cutting wide skirting boards, make a few test cuts on short skirting boards to help you avoid making mistakes when finishing cutting;
- At home, a table pushed against the wall can serve as an accurate miter box:
- To mark the inner corner, the length of the bar is counted from the corner;
- To mark the outer corner, the baguette should protrude beyond the corner of the room by its own width;
- The skirting board should be cut on a flat and hard surface, unmarked surface downwards;
- Ceiling products are glued or screwed after cutting both planks;
- Small errors when joining wooden, aluminum or PVC baguettes are removed with a file. The curvature of the foam fillets is leveled with a sharp knife or cutter;
- If a small gap still remains, it is masked with Knauf, ABC finishing putty, or white silicone sealant.
Cutting and joining techniques for baguettes
In the picture above, you can see the process of cutting off the curtain rod along the slot of the miter box, but how to trim the ceiling plinth without the miter box? We offer you several options with descriptions, as well as making a template for the simplest miter box on your own. Let’s consider all the methods in order:
How to cut a skirting board without a miter box:
- Try on the cornice to the ceiling surface, draw a marker line along the ceiling surface;
- To the right of the selected corner, press the product against the ceiling, draw another straight line;
- At the intersection of straight lines, mark the plinth itself with a dot, then draw the line from the markings on the baguette to its lower corner. Along it you will cut off the required corner on the fillet;
- The left corner is marked in the same way;
- After cutting both skirting boards, press them into a corner and check for precision. If there are gaps, trim the corners again. Remember. so that the bar does not become shorter than the required length, do not shorten its unmarked part until you achieve an exact connection;
- After adjustment, the fillet is glued or screwed on. The ceiling plinth for stretch ceilings cannot be attached to the surface of the ceiling material. it is glued only to the plane of the wall.
Attention: Do not press with great force on the foam or expanded polystyrene cornice when cutting it. it may lose its shape, and after gluing, dents and other irregularities will be visible.
The method is as follows: how to cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box along the outer corner of the ceiling:
- Press the plinth to the right of the corner and draw a line with a length of 200-300 mm along the ceiling with a pencil or marker;
- Press the cornice to the left corner, mark up to the first mowing line so that the markers intersect;
- On the plank, mark the points at the crossroads of the markers and in the corner of the room;
- Connect the marked points on the cornice, cut the plinth along the markings with an angle of inclination towards the inside of the plank;
- Check the accuracy of the joint in place, trim again if necessary.
Classic baguettes are made of wood, but it is difficult to fit them exactly without the use of a factory miter box and appropriate cutting tools. Wooden baguettes are formed with a cross-cut saw, and in its absence. with a carpenter’s hacksaw with a fine tooth, an electric jigsaw or a hacksaw for cutting metal.
Important: A cornice made of polyurethane or aluminum is considered reliable in terms of moisture resistance. But the polyurethane cornice should not be exposed to temperature changes, so it is not recommended to mount them in the kitchen or bathroom.
Whatever the plinth, if the angle in the room is not 90 0, then it will be difficult to make an exact cut for joining the planks. In old buildings (stalinkas, Khrushchev, and even brezhnevka), the angle in the room can be formed as 88 0 or 93 0 (for a piermer), and it is problematic to cut off such an end according to a template. Then how to properly cut the corner of the skirting board without a miter box, avoiding large discrepancies and without using a complex and expensive tool? Use the presented method.
The figure shows cornices made of materials such as:
- Polyurethane (PPU);
- Polyfoam (PP);
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC);
To form an exact inner corner from the planks, follow these steps in sequence:
- Try on a baguette to the corner of the room, for example, on the right;
- Draw a fishing line with a pencil along the plinth;
- On the left side, do the same operations with the cornice;
- The point of intersection of the marker lines will be the upper mark, from which it is necessary to cut;
- Place the curtain rod in the corner and transfer the crossing point to the plank;
- Connect the upper and lower marks on the cornice with a pencil;
- Cut the ends along the markings;
- For the second plank, the points are repeated in the same sequence.
Important: Before gluing the strips, check the accuracy of the cut: attach the curtain rods to the corner, and if there are no gaps between the fillets, attach them. If there are irregularities at the ends of the joining surfaces. trim the skirting boards more precisely.
The following solution is how to cut accurately and how to glue the skirting board without a miter box to the inner corner of the ceiling:
- Find out the fillet width;
- On the bottom, mark a point at the distance of the width of the plank;
- Connect with a diagonal line the point of the upper corner with the point of the lower mowing line, cut the product along this mowing line;
- For the second cornice, all points are repeated in the same sequence.
Working solutions for baguette preparation without miter box
Another option for trimming the plank is to create some kind of structure from thick cardboard and a wooden block. The first step is to bend the cardboard at the angle that you measured in the corner of the room. Then, to the wooden block intended for cutting the corner, press the cardboard and draw the line along which you want to cut the block. this will be your template. To cut the fillet, place the wooden template on top of the plank, and cut the required angle along the block.
Current offer in the construction market. Kindecor skirting board made of expanded polystyrene, made by extrusion technology. Therefore, the ceiling slats of the Russian company “Kindecor” do not have the disadvantages of PPU cornices. The cost of cornices is much lower than foam or other analogs.
But in old houses with “floating” corners, such sets are unlikely to come in handy. in the kit you will find only angles at 45 0. 60 0 and 90 0. How to fix the situation? You need to roughly cut the end of the baguette. an angle of approximately 45 0. and then, during several fittings, cut the angle in place to the required value.
When cutting the baguette and shaping the outer corner, use this method:
- Press the plinth to the right side of the corner so that the plank protrudes beyond the corner by at least its own width;
- Use a pencil to mark the line on the ceiling;
- Press the plinth to the left side of the corner so that the plank protrudes beyond the corner by at least its own width;
- With a pencil, mark the line on the ceiling, mark the intersection of these two lines;
- Copy the markings to the plank, connect the dots with a line, cut the baguette along this mowing line;
- Check the evenness of the cuts by applying the prepared baguettes to the outer corner;
- Before gluing the ceiling plinth without a miter box, remove any errors (irregularities, chips, gaps, inconsistencies) on the fillet surfaces.
How to cut a skirting board without a miter box
Docking of ceiling fillets without industrial miter box
Factory miter box. This is an aluminum, plastic or wooden tray with depressions 45 0 or 90 0. Such a device is rarely used at home, so it is not found in everyone. But few also know how to cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box, so we will consider a few simple solutions that will allow you to dock ceiling plinths in the corners of the room with great accuracy.
When renovating an apartment, installing a new ceiling is often necessary to create a complete design idea. The completed ceiling is decorated with beautiful fillet skirting boards. The baguettes are glued, nailed or screwed along the perimeter of the room, their position is previously marked in the corners at the joints of the walls and ceiling. Ceiling cornices are often rigid and solid strips (although there are elastic silicone ones), so they need to be beautifully docked in the corners of the room with each other, and without a miter box it is difficult to do this, but it is possible.
Fillets for framing the corners of the ceiling are made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), expanded polystyrene (PPU), polyurethane (PU), polystyrene (PS), polystyrene (PP), wood or metal:
- Foam decorative cornice is fragile, but this does not matter for unloaded ceiling structures. PP skirting boards can have different widths, the standard length is 1 meter, the surface is bas-relief with various patterns;
- Expanded polystyrene. the material is dense, easy to install, the edges of the cornice do not crumble during cutting;
- Aluminum or wood is the most difficult to dock. you need great accuracy, which is difficult to achieve without the use of a miter box. It is recommended to cut the corners of such curtain rods with a sheet for metal, to calculate the correct cutting angle, use the methods below.
Products and the nuances of their application:
Parameters and requirements
Polyvinyl chloride is easily crushed, after which it is not restored. When machining requires care and minimal pressure
Cut with a carpenter’s cutter or a hacksaw for metal
The foam plank is fragile and crumbles easily. It is recommended to cut the PP plinth with a very sharp cutter or a special tool. an electric nichrome cutter
Cut with a carpenter’s cutter or a hacksaw for metal, hot wire clamped in clamps
Durable and aesthetic material.
It is cut with an ordinary hand or special tool (a side saw, a saw for wood with fine teeth, a blade for metal), the cost of products is higher than the curtain rods of PPU, PP OR PVC
How to make a miter box template yourself
In the absence of a miter box or unwillingness to buy it, it is not necessary to purchase a special tool in order to use it once or twice in the entire history of repairs. You can make a homemade template with the same capabilities. it doesn’t take much time. As a blank for an impromptu miter box, take a board, thick paper or cardboard, and mark the required cuts on them.
Then draw two parallel mowing lines on the template, find the center in the drawing, and use a school protractor to set any corners. This simple technology gives very accurate results, while you can draw and cut any angle larger or smaller than 90 0.
The technology for working with a homemade miter box is no different from operations with an industrial product. The baguette should be attached to one of the lines, put the hacksaw at the selected angle, and cut off the workpiece. If you do not plan to spend money on miter box pr
How to cut the outside corner of a skirting board with a miter box. The main secret of cutting
The inner corner of the skirting board is the key. Professionals know that the skirting board is cut at the outer edges and on the front side (which is also the inner one). To cut the ceiling blanks more conveniently, a miter box is used. It is imperative to choose a good saw that will cut corners quickly and accurately. You can take a regular hacksaw for metal.
High-quality trimming of the ceiling plinth is impossible without the right choice of materials. If the walls in the apartment are not even enough, a smaller material is suitable for joining at the corners. Due to the fact that it is flexible enough, the corners of the skirting boards are more accurate. How to cut a large ceiling plinth? The task is simplified when the walls are perfectly flat.
The next point is how to cut the skirting board depending on its location. The rule is very simple: the left one is always applied to the miter box on the left, and the right one. on the right side. If you confuse the order of how to cut the ceiling plinth, then the docking will become a real problem.
Styrofoam is the easiest to work with. Let’s take a look at how to cut a ceiling plinth according to all the rules:
- having measured the corners of the walls, we get to work. If they’re perfectly straight at ninety degrees, you’re in luck. you just need to cut off a 45-degree angle. The principle of working with the 2nd segment is exactly the same;
- but how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth at the curved joints? The radius of the corner between the ceiling and the walls is divided by 2;
- once again we focus on how to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth. A baguette for gluing on the left side has a characteristic cut on the right, but the right fillet is cut on the left;
- an important question: how to cut the corners of the skirting board inside and out? The bottom edge always protrudes above the top, with respect to the outer corner, the opposite is true. The pliable polystyrene foam and soft texture do their job. it is much easier to customize such accessories. You will have to tinker with only wooden or plastic parts;
- when the inner and outer corners of the skirting board are ready, the planks are fitted to the ceiling. They will need to be trimmed according to the direction of abutment to the surface;
- if the rough docking is successful, the fillet is glued or screwed to the wall and ceiling. Seams securely seal.
A ceiling molding, aka molding, fillet, curb or just a plinth, is most often used to finish the joint between the wall and the ceiling. Although sometimes it is used to cover internal corners, make decorative frames or panels, decorate niches and architectural elements. There are several of the most popular materials for making ceiling moldings:
Plastic (polyvinyl chloride). It is more convenient to cut wide and rigid moldings with a hacksaw for metal. If you need a more gentle tool, use a jigsaw.
Foam (expanded polystyrene). A very lightweight and porous material that is best cut with a sharp utility or utility knife.
Wooden baguettes. Suitable for cutting are helical saws specially designed for baguettes. You can also use hand or jigsaws.
A modern skirting board is hardly a gap bridging strip. It is a constructive component that complements the design and enhances the overall look. Skirting boards are made from several materials:
Wooden ones can be made from solid wood or veneer. For trimming, use flat or circular saws, jigsaws.
Plastic skirting boards are dangerous competitors to traditional wood. Easy to install and cut with an ordinary hacksaw for metal.
Aluminum skirting boards are the latest in interior design. Cut usually with a saw or hand saw for metal.
Only on wooden skirting boards will you have to make a corner trim. The rest are cut evenly and connected using special corners.
Outside corner cutting
It is not always possible to find an outside corner in an apartment. However, it is still worth knowing how to make a corner on the ceiling plinth with the help of fixtures in such situations.
The step-by-step work algorithm is the same as for the inner corner. The only, and the main, difference is that for the inner corner the bottom of the fillet is longer than the top, for the outer corner, on the contrary, the top is longer.
How to cut the inner corner of a skirting board with a miter box. Using a miter box
The tool allows you to cut the corners of the molding, located on the outside or inside. The swivel mechanism will help to form parts with a bend of 90 or 45 degrees.
How to cut the corners of a skirting board with a miter box. How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box
The miter box is a simple carpentry tool that allows you to cut the workpiece at the desired angle. Most often it is a plastic, wood or metal tray with vertical slots for cutting at an angle of 90 ° and 45 °. There are also more complex miter box designs. for cutting at angles of 90, 60 and 45 degrees. For more professional work, a miter box with a swivel mechanism is used, where the hacksaw can be fixed at any angle to the workpiece.
How to cut a skirting board with a miter box. inner corner:
- We apply the plinth to the ceiling, measure the required length.
- Then we install the plinth strip in the miter box so that the position coincides with the position of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The plinth strip must be pressed against the far wall of the miter box.
- Hold the plinth with your left hand.
- We choose such a position of the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and at the same time the handle of the hacksaw is as close as possible to the left hand.
- We cut the workpiece without making excessive pressure on the saw.
- The next step is to trim the plinth striker. We also install it to the far wall of the miter box.
- Press and hold with your right hand.
- We choose such a position for the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and the handle of the hacksaw approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the skirting board.
Next, we join the trimmed plinths and check the cutting accuracy. For a more accurate orientation, they also say that in order to complete the inner corner, it is necessary to start cutting from the front of the skirting board. After cutting, wooden skirting boards will most likely have to be adjusted with a file.
How to cut a ceiling plinth with a miter box. outside corner:
- In order not to be mistaken with the dimensions, it is better to start by marking the inner corner, and then cut out the outer corner. Otherwise, a situation is possible when the planks may not be enough in length.
- It is necessary to attach the plank to the ceiling and outline the dimensions.
- Install the plinth strip and press it against the nearest wall.
- Hold with your left hand and choose a position for the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees, when the handle approaches the left hand.
- Cut off the workpiece.
- We install the striker to the nearest wall, hold it with the right hand.
- We set the hacksaw at a 45 degree angle when the handle approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the workpiece and join the corner.
Trimming the workpiece with a miter box is only suitable if the angle between the walls is even. 90 degrees. If the accuracy is poor, you will have to use other methods.
How to glue a ceiling plinth
Start from the corners of the room, as they are easier to work with, then move on to other parts of the room. Cover the corners in such a way that, if possible, there are no gaps or defects, if they are unavoidable, are insignificant. For plastic skirting boards, use a finishing putty.
Water or soil is applied to the areas for fasteners.
After the putty mixture has dried, all the cracks need to be repaired. various sealants are used for sealing (professional builders recommend choosing acrylic-based products). In general, one package is required per room. Installation with a sealant is carried out in the same way as when using a putty.
You do not have to make fillets yourself, but immediately purchase those that were initially prepared for docking. This is how they produce expanded polystyrene fillets, which do not need to be adjusted to each other.
The baguette that will be fixed to the left must have a right cut, and the right baguette must have a left cut. When creating the inner corner, make the bottom section rise above the top, for the outer corner everything should be the other way around.
Attach the baguettes to each other, if necessary, make undercuts at the joints of the base. If everything is in order, the skirting boards can be fixed with glue or screwed to the walls with further sealing of the seams.
How to make the corners of a ceiling plinth without fixtures
- Mark the skirting boards as required.
- Using a ruler, connect the edge of the skirting board to the mark. If you just cut along the mowing line, the parts in the corner will still not fold, as the inner part will interfere. You can trim it later by taking measurements on the ceiling.
- You can lay the piece to be cut on the table, with the part that will be located on the ceiling, and cut at an angle of 45 degrees. Adjustment required, but less.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the second plank, making the outer corner.
Thus, you can make a ceiling plinth without special tools, using available tools.
Methods for joining plinths in corners
- Installation of special decorative corners. They are of two types: external and internal.
The advantages of the method include ease of installation and the absence of problems with fitting. It is enough to put the plinth on the corner of the table and cut along its edge.
Tip: The best tool for cutting skirting boards is a utility knife. This item, unlike other devices, does not crumble material.
Disadvantages of the method: corners allow joining the planks only at right angles. However, the room can have a complex configuration. In addition, finding corners that match the pattern and width can sometimes be difficult.
- Trim the ceiling plinth at the desired slope. The essence of this method is to ensure that the gap between the slats is minimal or absent altogether.
The advantages include its versatility, which consists in the ability to join the planks at any angle. Plus, no need to buy additional materials.
How to join skirting boards in the corners
When a certain part of the skirting board is glued and a small distance remains to the corner, so as not to be mistaken with the length, it is necessary to leave a margin.
To begin with, you can cut off a piece that will be 10-15 cm longer. Then cut the corner in a convenient way, try it on a dry surface, attach the plank to the ceiling and highlight the place to which it needs to be shortened. Undercutting is performed at an angle of 90 °.
Next, you need to correctly join the corners. The made ceiling moldings are attached at an angle of 38-45 °, so the classic 45 ° is not always suitable at the joints.
In various cases, the cut edges do not join and leave gaps. For this reason, after the initial trimming of the corners, it is necessary to carry out a “dry” and the most accurate joining of the baguettes directly to the ceiling. Especially have to tinker with wood and plastic materials.
Having completed the rough joining of the skirting boards, glue or screw the fillets to the walls and ceiling, then, if necessary, use a putty and seal the seams at the end.
There are two ways:
- using a miter box;
- using markup.
- miter box;
- clerical knife or hacksaw for metal.
The miter box is a tray, on the walls of which there are slots made at different angles. This tool helps you to properly cut the plinth at the right angle in order to fit the joints as tightly as possible and end up with a beautifully designed room.
Cut to an inner corner
We cut the skirting board under the inner corner.
Most often, the room has internal corners. If you use our advice, then this work will not seem very difficult.
Step-by-step instructions for pruning with a miter box.
- We attach the plank to the ceiling and measure the required length.
- We install the plinth in the fixture so that its location coincides with the position on the ceiling.
- To perform left-hand side cutting, the plinth is placed “upside down”, that is, the part adjacent to the ceiling in the fixture is located at the bottom, and the one adjacent to the wall. in the upper part of the tool. Trim at 45 degree slot.
- Right-side cut: the blade is set so that the longest part is on the right.
How to Make Easy Homemade Rye Bread
If the miter box was not at hand, then the markings are made on the table. For this, two parallel mowing lines are carried out (the distance between them is 20 cm). Then draw another, which connects the first two at right angles, and two more mowing lines, intersecting with the connection line at an angle of 45 degrees.
All three outlines intersect in the middle. The result is a painted miter box. A canvas is applied to it and cut off according to the principle described above.
Step-by-step instructions using markup.
- We apply the plinth to the ceiling and line the inner edge of it.
- The same manipulation is performed on the other side.
- We apply the canvases one by one and mark at each point where the inner edges of the plinth intersect.
- Draw a line between the opposite edge and the marked point.
- We carry out the cut correctly.
How to cut skirting boards using decorative corners
With the help of them, you can easily and quickly obtain the desired angles in polystyrene or polyurethane skirting boards. Install them on the ceiling, and then glue the strips to them tightly. Cutting them is easy using a clerical knife.
Finishing sharp and obtuse corners
Right angles in a room are not always the case. In new buildings, the walls are sharp or blunt. As a consequence, a tool such as a miter box will not help you in trimming skirting boards. How to properly cut the ceiling plinth in such a situation? It’s very simple, just make the adjustment of such corners.
Place the curtain rod against the left wall, fully pressing it against the ceiling, as if you are going to glue it. How to cut a ceiling plinth? The action plan is as follows:
- Take a pencil and mark a line along the top edge. Do a similar procedure, only place the skirting board on the opposite side.
- Look at the ceiling and find the intersection of the two lines. Next, you need to take two skirting boards and attach on both sides of the corner. Then put a mark on them, which was formed as a result of the intersection of the lines.
- Connect it to the opposite corner of the piece of material.
- Place the curtain rod on a perfectly flat surface, press it against it with the required side. Next, use a construction knife to cut the plinth along the existing fishing line, while keeping it in an upright position.
- In the same way, actions are carried out for trimming outer corners.
Cutting off the ceiling plinth with a miter box
The miter box is a metal or wooden triangular box. Its two vertically have through cuts at an angle of 45 ° and 90 °. With this tool, you can trim material for straight sections.
How to properly cut the ceiling plinth with your own hands
Sometimes those who make repairs ask themselves a question “What is the name of the ceiling plinth?” This material has many names. This is a fillet, and a baguette, and a cornice, and a frieze. Regardless of the name, the installation technology is not much different. The ceiling plinth is not only a decorative element that visually separates the walls and the ceiling, it also has the ability to hide the joints of the finishing materials of the ceiling and walls.
- Features of cutting the ceiling plinth
- Choosing a tool for trimming skirting boards
- Cutting off the ceiling plinth with a miter box
- Interior corner finishing
- Working with outside corners
- Finishing sharp and obtuse corners
Choosing a tool for trimming skirting boards
First you need to decide on the tools. This work requires:
- miter box;
- a knife blade that matches the material of the finish;
If the cornice is foam or polyurethane, then it is easy to cut. Construction scissors will help with this, in which you can change the blades.
Interior corner finishing
A standard room has the same corners. Therefore, pasting should be started precisely from the corners. Before you cut the baguette, you need to decide which side will join the ceiling and wall. This is determined depending on the relief and material. If the product is asymmetrical, then it must be attached to the wall with a wide shelf.
How to cut corners on a skirting board correctly? When trimming the left corner, you need to set the baguette in the miter box. The longest part should be on your left, and place the area you want to cut into the tool with a 45-degree approach to the right slot. Press the part of the cornice that you plan to glue to the wall to the side wall of the tool, which is closer to you, and the one that you will glue to the ceiling. to the bottom. While the material is in this position, cut the corner with a special knife through the existing slot.
How to cut off the skirting board on the right side? To do this, put it in the miter box on the right side and attach it to the left slot at 45 degrees. When you have cut the corners of both sides of the cornice, attach them to the intended place, only without glue, in order to make sure that they converge. If any irregularities are found, then they can be trimmed using construction scissors. When everything fits together, then the finish can be glued.
Working with outside corners
External corners can be seen in a room that has internal protrusions. How to cut off the corner of the skirting board in this case? Trimming the ceiling skirting boards for these angles follows the same principle as for the interior ones. You just need to remember that the left cornice needs to be cut at a completely different angle. This must be done through the left slot. As a result, the part of the skirting board that connects to the ceiling will be longer. We carry out the same work with the right side of the molding. We put it in the miter box on the right and cut it.
Please note that the edge of the bottom of the material must match the corner of the wall.
Features of cutting the ceiling plinth
It cannot be argued that it should always be used. There are interior designs in which you can do without it, but still, the appearance of a room without a cornice seems unfinished. With direct attachment, things are simple, you just need to attach them to the glue. But with trimming the material, everything is much more complicated. Even a room that is simple in shape has internal corners, where the plinths of the ceiling plinth need to be beautifully joined. If you have to decorate a room with a heavy configuration, then you will need to make an outer corner and join the edges of the baguette.
How to trim ceiling skirting boards for uneven indoor corners?
If the corners in the room have a rounded shape, then you need to cut the material into pieces, about 3-5 cm long. The length depends entirely on the radius of curvature. Next, you should cut each piece on both sides so that the lower part is wider than the upper one. This must be done in cases where the inner radius is concerned. If you need to frame the outside, then the top of the baguette should be wider. First of all, you need to fit the next one to each piece, and then glue it.
How to cut ceiling skirting boards correctly? It is quite easy to do this without the help of specialists. However, for high-quality and correct performance of work, as well as to save materials, it is better to practice a little on small parts of the material.
How to cut a PVC skirting board
When cutting plastic skirting boards, we recommend using a metal hacksaw. The thinnest and sharpest blade gives the most accurate cut. no chips or notches.
The second popular tool for cutting PVC skirting boards. stationery knife. They also usually cut foam baguettes. Well, if speed is more important than edge quality, you can arm yourself with an angle grinder.
How to cut the inner corner of baguettes
It is better to mark first from the inner corners. it’s easier to avoid mistakes.
- Measure the required length of the plinth;
- install it in the miter box so that its position in the tray is the same as on the ceiling;
- press the bar with your left hand to the far side of the miter box;
- place the hacksaw at an angle of 450 so that its handle is close to the left hand;
- cut the plinth. here it is important not to overdo it with pressure;
- place the reciprocal plate also against the far wall, pressing it with your right hand;
- hold the hacksaw at an angle of 450, bringing its handle closer to the right hand;
- trim the skirting board.
How to trim a baguette with miter box
The tool allows you to maintain the desired angle when cutting the skirting board. As a rule, they are designed for angles of 450 and 900, sometimes 600. serious tools are equipped with a swivel mechanism for adjusting non-standard angles.
How to cut styrofoam figuratively
Foam plastic begins to melt under the influence of high temperatures. This property of the material is widely used for decorative cutting of foam plastic. The thermal cutter transformer supplies electricity to the arcs, which heat the tensioned wire. Hot strings, in turn, cut the foam along the path specified by the drawing.
The professional tool allows you to apply curly nozzles, recreate complex sketch elements and achieve high cutting speeds.
How to cut foam with a string
The cold wire cutting method is simple to perform and does not require anything other than the string itself and foam. It is also suitable for cutting PPS ceiling plinth.
Stretch the steel string and perform movements similar to cutting with a two-handed saw. The foam will heat up from friction, and the string will go through it like clockwork.
How to cut styrofoam with a soldering iron
You will need a soldering iron, screwdriver, pliers and copper wire.
Remove the working tip. Use a pair of pliers to bend the wire in half and measure on it a length equal to the length of the tip. Bend the excess ends. Leave about 1/3 of the length of the working tip, and “bite off” the rest with pliers. Insert the improvised copper “tip” with the thicker side into the soldering iron.
Secure with a screwdriver and plug in the tool. The heated copper wire literally floats on the foam in the direction you need. Can be pre-applied mowing line cut to the material.
How to trim a baguette without a miter box
Instead of a miter box, you can arm yourself with a pencil and. a ceiling! Marking in place allows you to join the skirting board in corners of any size. even straight lines or with flaws.
- Cut the planks that will be adjacent at an angle of 900;
- rest one of them with its butt against the wall and draw a fishing line along the contour of the baguette;
- rest the striker against the perpendicular wall and also outline one side of it;
- the point of intersection of the lines. control, according to which you will need to make a cut;
- again attach each of the cornices to their place and transfer the control point to them;
- draw the line from the control point to the top of the other corner of the plank, cut along it.
The skirting boards can now be joined at the desired location. We have described how to cut baguettes without a miter box in the inner corners. In a similar way, you can outline the necessary points for external.
- Making the right measurements.
- We install the plinth strip in the miter box so that this position exactly coincides with the placement on the ceiling.
- The plinth should be firmly pressed against the opposite wall of the miter box. Hold and press with your free hand.
- We put a hacksaw at an angle of 45 ° in a special hole and cut off the part.
- The adjacent part must be cut in the same way, only in a mirror image, as shown in the photo.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, expanded polystyrene), use a hacksaw for metal or an ordinary construction knife. Then the work will be neat and with smooth edges.
The first way is with a miter box
Professional miter box with rotary hacksaw
The miter box usually looks like a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool represents the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool for cutting wood pieces at 90 ° and 45 ° angles. There are types of such a device for professional work, with a rotary mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
Ceiling corners are divided into internal and external, the method of joining on them is slightly different.
If necessary, you can make a miter box with your own hands. To do this, you will need three trims from plywood or boards of the same size. First, they are applied in the form of an inverted letter “P” and the corners are marked. Then, according to the marking, slots are cut out for a hacksaw almost to the very bottom, and the boards are twisted.
Method two. no additional tools
For the inner corner, you can use the simplest way of perfect joining. by marking on the ceiling. Another example of how to cut a corner nice and even.
- Apply a fillet to the ceiling, firmly pressing its even edge into a corner.
- Draw a line along the long side of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The same action is done with the adjacent part on the other side.
- Mark the point of intersection of lines.
The end result is an even 45 ° angle when you draw the line from the point of intersection to the edge of the part. Note that the above marking method works only at perfectly flat corners.
How to cut the corner of a skirting board evenly
A beautiful and neat edging of the ceiling hides the joints between the coatings and is an additional element of the room’s decor. But in order for the ceiling plinth to look really beautiful, you need to be able to qualitatively join its corner joints.
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth evenly can be found in our article.
Related article: how to properly glue the ceiling plinth with glue and putty.
- Measure the length of the plinth from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave the fishing line on the wrong side with a pencil, indicating the desired length. It should be noted that the edge (its upper part) should protrude slightly outward.
- The plinth is moved to the miter box and cut off.
- The adjacent bar also needs to be measured with a margin and cut off in a mirror image to the first part.
Trying on the ceiling plinth: the joining of the parts should be perfectly flat. If the result is not achieved and there are irregularities at the joints, you can trim the edges with an ordinary knife until a perfect fit.
Checking the smooth docking
All the nuances are well described in the video:
With a good eye and accuracy of hand action, you can use a homemade template that resembles an imitation of a miter box. To do this, take a thin board or thick plywood and draw a layout in the form of a horizontal rectangle. Using a protractor, mark 45 ° on the right and left sides of the rectangle. Draw mowing lines connecting opposite edges. You can now cut off the ceiling plinth using this layout. The actions are simple and similar to the description above in the first option. Only the ceiling parts should not be inserted, but placed on the drawing and the hacksaw should be combined with the layout of the layout.
Special accessories for docking
The set of tools for making a corner ceiling joint without using a miter box is not so great, and, in principle, does not differ from a set with a miter box. Almost every home has these tools:
- construction knife with replaceable blades;
- ceiling plinth.
You will need a tape measure and a ruler for accurate measurements and drawing straight lines, everyone has them in the house. It should be borne in mind that without a ruler, you will not be able to draw even mowing lines for cutting corners using the first method.
A construction or office knife with replaceable blades is an indispensable assistant in the house. Its cost, like a construction pencil, is low, and it is always available, it will give you the opportunity to cut off the necessary segments easily and evenly, cut out a corner or cut thin plates when adjusting the connection. Some skirting boards are made from a material that is recommended to be cut with a knife only, and not with a hacksaw due to the softness of the material.
You will only need a hacksaw if the material from which the baguettes are made is recommended to be cut only with it. A regular hacksaw with fine teeth will do.
A ceiling plinth must be chosen for both aesthetic and practical reasons. It should harmoniously fit into your design, cover the joints of the ceiling and walls, hide defects and irregularities. When choosing a baguette, it is necessary to take into account the material from which it is made. this affects the choice of cutting tools and glue for installation, as well as the type of coating on which the skirting board will be glued.
There are two most common methods for cutting flawless skirting corners correctly, easily and comfortably. The first implies the purchase of a special miter box with a large number of cuts along its perimeter, which help to cut the corner correctly and evenly. The second option is cutting corners without the help of a miter box, which we will talk about today. This process for beginners is quite complicated and painstaking, besides, the presence of a miter box does not guarantee 100% facilitation of this work, be prepared for the fact that the first time you may not succeed.
There are several ways to create corner joints without using a miter box.
One of them is the marking directly on the ceiling. To get started, we need two pieces of baguette cut at a 90 degree angle. It is not necessary to take two-meter slats at once and try to cut them, you can cut off two pieces of 15-20 cm for easier holding with one hand in the position you need. Next, we apply them in the next order to the ceiling and draw a 5-centimeter line along the ceiling to the end of the baguette, pressing the plinth tightly. After that, we apply a second molding to the opposite corner, and do a similar action, and at the intersection of the baguette and the previously held mowing line, we make a neat pencil notch on the baguette. With the second plinth, you need to repeat the same thing, making a similar notch at the intersection of the baguette and the mowing line.
Now we can cut the baguette at the angle we need, for this, use a construction knife or a hacksaw, depending on the material from which the skirting boards are made (below we will tell you what materials the baguettes are made of and what is better to cut them). To cut the corner correctly, place the baseboard on the table or chair, and cut from the point you marked on the ceiling to the opposite corner of the baseboard. After that, you can easily join the corners and glue. It should be borne in mind that this method is suitable for fitting only the inner corners, it will not work to fit the outer corners.
The second method consists in tracing a sheet of paper or plywood under the miter box, for this you need to draw two parallel mowing lines, then draw a perpendicular from one mowing line to the other, so we get a marking for a right angle. To mark at 45 degrees, you must use a clerical triangle or a protractor, passing two mowing lines through the perpendicular at 45 degrees relative to parallel lines. Further, as when working with a miter box, we put our plinth along the mowing line and cut at the required angle.
It should be borne in mind that this method does not guarantee you an ideal angle, and, in general, in our houses the corners are uneven. “filled up”, and therefore you will have to adjust the angle manually later.
The third method is to make a primitive miter box with your own hands, which is why it will not become less effective. To do this, take three planks or planks and knock them down in the shape of the letter “P”, make slots at right angles and two slots at 45 degrees. This way you cut corners without the “help” of the chair.
The fourth method is quite rare and inventive. it consists of tricks with thick paper or cardboard and a small bar. To do this, bend a sheet of cardboard at the angle you need, take a small block, which will serve as a template for cutting the corner. Press the prepared sheet of cardboard to it and, holding the knife or hacksaw strictly vertically, carefully cut the block at the angle you need. To trim the skirting board, simply place the piece on top of the skirting board, press firmly and cut along the mowing line of the piece.
The fifth way is the purchase of special fittings with ready-made ceiling corners: internal and external. Unfortunately, there are a lot of skirting board design variations; special inserts may not be found under your skirting board. But in general, it is very convenient for those who do not want to engage in cutting out corner joints.
But also if there are non-standard angles in your house, then ready-made blanks or a miter box will not help you. After all, there are only 45, 60 and 90 degrees you can cut the connection. In this case, cut the edge of the baguette by eye at an angle of 45 degrees, and when trying on to your corner, carefully trim it, so you will be able to achieve an almost perfect connection, with only one thing. there can be a lot of such fittings and trims.
As you can see, in the absence of a miter box, you can still cut the correct corner joint for baguettes, you just need patience and perseverance, and unnecessary skills will not interfere with anyone in the future.
When installing a ceiling plinth, first of all, you need to prepare the surface before gluing the plinth, it must be cleaned of minor irregularities, then you need to prime the gluing points to create maximum adhesion between the glue and the wall or ceiling. The primer is the same as that used for wallpapering or ceiling tiles.
Before gluing, it is recommended to take a small piece of baguette and practice cutting out corner joints so as not to spoil the excess.
So, you have everything ready, and it’s time to start the process of cutting out the corners. To create an inner corner, the first of the methods described above is perfect for you. If you have smooth walls, you can cut off equal pieces from the baguettes, and cut out corner joints from them, then simply gluing long strips carefully point-blank to them. These manipulations will facilitate your work when trimming and exclude the possibility of bending the baguette or breaking it.
If the walls have flaws, and you are worried that the gluing place will then be noticeable, you can adjust the corner on the floor, and then glue.
When cutting out the outer corner, it must be remembered that the inner corner rests against the wall, and the outer one, on the contrary, protrudes above it. Similar to the method described in the first method, you can try. The only difference will be that the skirting board should go beyond the wall to the width of your baguette plank. After trimming the planks to the desired angle and connecting them, you may need to manually correct the angle, since the angles in our homes are often not nearly 90 degrees. The rest of the methods described by us will allow you to more easily make the outer corner. Just like cutting the inner corner, it’s best to practice first. this will make your job easier and reduce skirting waste.
Before gluing the skirting boards, you need to make sure that the joints fit exactly. Modern assembly adhesives set very quickly, so you will have practically no time to correct the mistake, and tearing off the skirting board is both an opportunity to break it and the need to re-clean the surface of the skirting board and the wall from glue. It is better to remove excess glue immediately with a small clean rag or sponge so that there are no traces left.
With the right patience and the right fit, you can achieve a ‘seamless’ joint and your molding will look solid, making it easier to paint and eliminating the need for a finishing putty to smooth joint seams.
How to Shape Sourdough Loaves and Baguettes
How to make a corner on a skirting board without a miter box?
- The ways
- Necessary materials
- Step-by-step instruction
Sometimes the unevenness of the walls or ceiling prevents you from gluing the plinth along its entire length, tightly pressed against the wall or ceiling, or you made a little mistake when cutting the inner corner, and you have a gap. To eliminate these defects, a white acrylic finishing putty is perfect. It can be painted well after drying, and with its help you can gently putty the joints. This putty is sold in a ready-made form, you do not need to stir it yourself with water and worry about non-compliance with the proportions, depending on the manufacturer. If you want to make everything aesthetically pleasing, then spare the money and buy a small jar. According to personal observations, 0.5 kg cans of ready-made putty will be enough for you both for all the flaws in the joints of the ceiling plinth, and for eliminating other minor errors during the repair.
And also for easier trimming of corners, you can use a clerical triangle, it will give you the ability to accurately cut a 45-degree angle.
One of the important factors to consider is the material from which the skirting board is made. Now they are made from PVC. polyvinyl chloride, expanded polystyrene (foam), wood and polyurethane. Depending on the material, glue and baguette trimmer should be selected.
For information on how to make a corner undercut in a ceiling plinth without a miter box, see the next video.