How to properly trim linoleum for a baseboard or wall
What is modern linoleum? This type of flooring is known to everyone who is going to renovate a home or update the interior. Linoleum is found in everyday life wherever a person is – from a residential apartment to a shopping center. The decks are made of polyvinyl chloride and consist of a multi-layer structure. Coatings are used for various purposes and are valued for their useful performance properties: moisture resistance, thermal insulation, strength, durability and a variety of design textures. It is better to entrust the professional laying of linoleum to masters who have extensive experience in this area, but sometimes you need to do it yourself. Linoleum is produced in the form of rolls and during the installation process, the coating must be cut against the wall and the edges must be hidden under the skirting board. In order not to be mistaken and to do it exactly, it is worth learning how to properly cut linoleum.
Before you start cutting, you need to know what the linoleum is cut with. The list of necessary tools for cutting includes:
- clerical or construction knife metal ruler or level steel extended spatula angle square masking tape
The main tool for cutting PVC coating is a knife. For thin household flooring, an ordinary clerical knife is suitable, but how to cut thick linoleum? If thick commercial flooring needs to be trimmed, a utility or linoleum knife should be used. Such a tool has a reinforced and more durable blade. The metal ruler will provide a neat, even cut, which you will not achieve without this tool. The square will help to correctly dock the coating in the corner of the wall..
Having studied in detail what linoleum is cut with, proceed to cutting linoleum. Before use, the floor covering must be unrolled, carefully leveled and left on the floor at room temperature for several days. As soon as the linoleum has settled down, the coating will shrink from 2 to 6 cm – this factor must be taken into account. If the width of the purchased flooring is less than the size of the room, then the flooring will have to be laid in two strips, which must be joined. To make the coating pattern look solid and have no seams, you need to check the location of the patterns on each part of the colored linoleum.
How to cut linoleum in an apartment in stages:
- Overlapping linoleum parts Bonding strips with masking tape Cutting off the excess part of the coating for a ruler
How to lay Lino flooring in a bathroom with no experience | Becca Boo
After preparation, the edges of both parts of the linoleum coating are overlapped with a margin of 10 cm. For reliability, the strips are connected with masking tape to prevent movement of the coating during cutting. How to cut linoleum smoothly? A metal ruler or level will help here, which must be laid on the flooring in the place where the sheets overlap. Then the excess part of the linoleum is cut evenly with a sharp clerical knife. We have already figured out how to cut thick linoleum – in this case, a construction or special knife is used. This method allows you to cut the linoleum evenly, and make the joints invisible. After cutting, both edges of the linoleum are glued to the floor..
Wall and baseboard
It is not difficult to cope with cutting off the excess coating, but how to properly trim the linoleum under the baseboard or wall? In the process of shrinking, the edges of the PVC flooring can abut against the wall surface – this problem must be eliminated by trimming the material. It is recommended to start cutting from one side of the wall and strictly under the ruler. An elongated spatula is placed at the bend of the linoleum coating and pressed firmly. this method helps to mark the exact location of the cut. Next, you should cut off the excess coating with a sharp clerical knife or a construction knife, if the linoleum is thicker than usual. There should be a gap of 1-2 mm between the flooring and the wall, which will allow the covering to completely align over time. After the manipulations with linoleum are over, the skirting boards are installed.
We found out how to properly cut linoleum under the plinth, it remains to find out how to adjust the coating in the corner of the wall. To do this, use the existing spatula in the folds to press the cover tightly to the corner and cut it off correctly. Then, at the base of the corners of the flooring, you need to make V-shaped cuts with a sharp knife, pressing the linoleum with a square. It is worth remembering that in the corner the gap between the coating and the wall is the same – 1-2 mm.
The attractiveness of the interior of an apartment or house depends not only on the successful choice of coverage, but also on the accuracy of the installation process. More details on how to cut linoleum in an apartment will be readily advised by the site manager, who can be easily contacted via an online form..
How to properly cut linoleum when laying – the choice of tools and technology of work
Hello. There is nothing difficult in cutting linoleum. The main thing is to choose the right tool, since it is very difficult to cut a dense canvas even with a well-sharpened knife or stationery..
How to cut roll coverings correctly
Highlights when cutting linoleum during installation
To carry out work on cutting linoleum canvas, in addition to the purchased knife, you will need to prepare a square, a long ruler and a tape measure. To create a template, you need plain paper or thick cardboard.
When working, try not to rush and take all measurements several times. You need to cut with confident movements, applying effort. If necessary, you can draw up a diagram of the location of the canvases, and only after that start cutting them according to the calculated parameters.
DIY linoleum cutting technology will consist of the following:
- Before cutting the linoleum, it should be kept indoors for 7-14 days at room temperature. For a more precise date, refer to the instructions or paper insert supplied with the coating..
- Next, the roll is cut according to the length of the room, taking into account the allowance. For a canvas with a length of 5-6 m – 20 mm overlap, less than 10 m – 40-50 mm, over 10-12 m – 50-70 mm. This is necessary for the stock of material for trimming and natural shrinkage..
- The cut canvases should be left for 3-5 days until they are completely straightened. If “waves” remain on the surface, then you should not try to eliminate them using third-party methods. High-quality roll coating will straighten naturally.
- Then the cut pieces are laid out along the length of the room. If there are protruding communications and other decorative elements in the room, then you will need to prepare a paper template. After that, according to the template, the pattern is transferred to linoleum and cut off in the right places..
- If the room has the correct shape, then the linoleum is pushed up against the wall with an overlap and cut off at the junction.
- For joining the canvases with a pattern, the first canvas is laid out on the floor surface. The second canvas is superimposed over the first until the joining edge forms a continuation of the pattern. Next, the edge is pressed with a long ruler and cut through both pieces.
Upon completion of the cutting, the linoleum must be shifted by one half of the room and the work surface must be removed from dust, debris and abrasive particles. After that you can start fixing and docking..
Linoleum cutting tool
The construction knife is a versatile tool for cutting roll coverings
Cutting PVC or natural linoleum can be done using the following tool:
- construction knife – has a retractable design, the ability to change and rigidly fix the cutting blade. In fact, this is an adapted and improved version of the stationery retractable knife, adapted for construction needs. Suitable for cutting both thin-layer and thicker roll coatings, but when working, you should carefully monitor the path of the blade;
- knife for cutting linoleum – has a curved or hook-shaped cutting element. Allows you to quickly and quality cut through linoleum, carpets and any other soft floor coverings. Suitable for both cutting a straight seam and curly elements in corner joints;
- floor cutter – available in various variations. For linoleum, a design is used with a disc cutting element fixed in a special frame with a handle. A conventional fixed blade cutter can also be used. Allows you to quickly and efficiently cut a flat edge along the entire length of the blade.
Additionally, you can mark such a tool as a “beveler”. It is used when laying natural linoleum when it is necessary to cut off the “broken” edge. In the case of PVC coating, it allows you to cut off the “fringed” edge if gross mistakes were made during cutting.
When choosing a working tool, one should take into account the type of coverage that is planned for laying. Household linoleum has a low density and thickness. An ordinary construction knife is enough to cut it..
More expensive semi-commercial or natural linoleum is best cut with a specialized knife. This will cut through the dense sheeting and get a smooth cut..
The appearance of the tool can be seen in the photo above. for an entry-level branded product. It is better for a master finisher to purchase better equipment. .
Among the manufacturers are Truper, Suntool and Romus. For DIY work, knives from Biber, Jettools, Fit are quite suitable.
Docking two or more canvases
Cold welding is used to join two or more canvases.
Fixing linoleum to the floor can be done in several ways. Glue applied over the entire floor surface is the most reliable solution. Double-sided adhesive tape is used for rooms where fixing rigidity does not matter or linoleum is a temporary floor covering.
The adhesive mass is prepared for work according to the instructions on the package. A spatula is used for application. First, linoleum is fixed against the wall for a large width of the canvas (60-70%). The adhesive is applied to a clean surface in undulating movements without excess.
After that, the web is carefully lowered and rolled with a heavy roller. If there is no roller, then it can be replaced with a regular building level wrapped in a soft cloth. The surface must be carefully smoothed over the entire area.
Do the same with the second half of the room. To join the canvases, you will need to glue the tape along the entire length and remove the protective coating. After that, an adhesive mass is applied to the remaining part. After gluing, the seam should be carefully rolled.
If you plan to weld the seam, then it is necessary to cut a groove for the filling. Before welding, it is necessary to thoroughly warm up the hair dryer for several minutes, put on the nozzle and insert the cord.
Above you can watch a video on how to properly cut linoleum when laying flooring in an apartment. Pay attention to the sequence of actions when laying multiple canvases.
To obtain the desired result when working with roll coating, you must follow the advice from experienced craftsmen:
- It is impossible to start cutting the flooring immediately after purchase. To stabilize its size, the selected material must be kept indoors for at least a couple of weeks – in warm conditions. After unpacking, the roll should be rolled out and cut into canvases in accordance with specific dimensions, but provide for an allowance for shrinkage and adjustment. The rule applies here: the longer the cut, the more allowance is needed. So, if the length of the web is more than 10 m, then 50-60 mm must be left in reserve, and if the length is less than 10 m, 30-40 mm is enough. If the room is small, where the length is less than 6 m, then the allowance should be up to 20 mm. It is recommended to put all canvases in a pile and give them time for full straightening – 5 days.
- You need to start working with linoleum after laying it on the floor, where the walls are already marked on the spot. To press the material to the floor, you should use a provil or a building ruler. First, they make a puncture and a small incision with a sharp tool, and then they lead the knife along a ruler along the entire perimeter of the room. A V-neck is made in the corner. To work with pipes, columns, a bay window, it is imperative to make patterns, for convenience, you can cut out on the newspaper, and then attach and make from cardboard. In order not to spoil the floor covering in difficult areas, it is necessary to cut in small pieces, according to a template.
- If the floor covering is used with a pattern, then first lay it face up and try it on. After laying the material parallel to the wall, it is pressed, you can use a heavy object, cut it off. In the place where the canvas ends, apply the following (overlap), pay special attention to the selection of the pattern. The canvases collected in two layers are carefully cut through without haste. If the room is very large, then the selection of the pattern occurs along the border. Here it is necessary to cut off the abutting elements using a ruler and a sharp tool, controlling the accuracy of the pattern coincidence.
How to properly and quickly cut linoleum at home, you can look at
What is linoleum cut
There is a huge selection of construction tools for cutting flooring – special knives that have a number of advantages:
- they work equally effectively with linoleum, which is either in a vertical or horizontal position;
- no difficulty in replacing blades;
- the ability to obtain the most even cut;
- high strength characteristics of the blade;
- high-quality blade fixation system;
- there are devices with rubberized pads on the handles (anti-slip).
It is best to cut linoleum at home by using one of the following types of special tools:
- Construction knife. The model is a retractable design, where it is possible to quickly replace the cutting blade. Thanks to the perfect sharpening, working with linoleum is quite easy. In general, the device is very similar to a stationery retractable knife, only more improved and adapted for cutting flooring. It can be classified as universal; it is also used to fit a thin-layer material and a thicker coating. The main thing is to follow the progress of the cutting blade..
- Knife for cutting linoleum. This version of the tool is distinguished by a curved or hook-shaped blade shape. This feature of the cutting element makes it possible to easily cut any floor covering, including linoleum. It is good to use it not only for cutting a straight seam, but also for cutting curly details in corner joints..
- Floor cutter. This special tool is available in different designs on the market. The disc version is excellent for cutting linoleum. Fix the canvas in a frame with a handle. A model with a fixed cutting element is also suitable. Such a conventional cutter is easily capable of making a straight edge along the entire length of the material..
Features of trimming linoleum
To properly cut linoleum during installation, you need to use a special tool that allows you to make an accurate and clear cut. A regular kitchen knife will not work here. The best option is to use a tool for a specific type of flooring. You should choose a special device taking into account the thickness of the linoleum, density indicators. For these purposes, it is effective to use an office or construction retractable knife, or one that is designed for working with floor coverings.
When cutting linoleum, it is important to follow the technology and use a sharp knife
If you need to cut linoleum at home, then in order to obtain a positive result, you need to follow certain recommendations:
- When cutting the flooring, move gradually, making small cuts. But first you need to make a mark on the inside.
- For work with internal corners, linoleum is cut in a V-shape.
- When laying linoleum with a pattern, the material must be laid face up in order to make the markup without distorting the picture. If mistakes are made when cutting linoleum, then it will no longer be possible to correct them..
For a correct fit, two strips of flooring are superimposed on each other to create an overlap. It is recommended to cut them together. This method is effective, but requires some effort and a sharp knife..
The final trimming of the linoleum should be done with a hook-shaped blade, and the marking should be done with a trapezoidal one. It is necessary to adjust the floor covering to the wall only after the end of the main work with it. To properly cut linoleum on the floor and prevent a gap between it and the wall, you must use a wall marker, a metal ruler.
How to cut linoleum in a roll
To cut a floor covering on a roll, you must:
- Lay the material longitudinally to the room.
- Cut off the excess part, gradually unwinding the roll, but at the same time you need to simultaneously twist the cut off part.
To avoid mistakes, before starting work on cutting the material, you should measure the width of the room in several places, preferably 3-5. The largest indicator is taken as a basis. The tool must be with a well-sharpened blade..
How to cut linoleum under the toilet
Instructions for trimming the finish on the floor under the toilet:
- Place the toilet (without cistern) on the floor, only without the cuff and sealant. This is necessary to make the markings on the linoleum. Using a marker, outline the contour of the toilet bowl sole, and then remove it.
- Use a construction knife to cut out linoleum according to the markings. Replace the toilet and secure with fasteners.
How to trim corners linoleum
Difficulties also arise when adjusting the size of the sheet in the corners. Here you need to adhere to the following rules:
- Press the linoleum, make a cut perpendicular to the floor, in the place where it “finds” on the wall.
- From it you need to take two cuts along the wall, but parallel to the base.
How to cut linoleum under a pipe
Laying flooring around pipes is not an easy process and requires a special approach:
- Fold the fabric with the wrong side onto the pipe. Mark it in the center. You will also need to measure the space from the wall to the pipe..
- Draw a circle by using a compass or pipe of similar diameter. Putting a piece of plywood under the material, use a sharp tool along the ruler to make a straight cut.
- Unfold the floor covering and determine where the pipe hole will be. It needs to be cut first in a smaller size, and then corrected in place.
How to trim linoleum walls
There are several ways to trim the flooring close to the wall: with a trowel and knife, and with only a sharp tool. The second option is considered faster and more efficient, so you can cut linoleum on a felt basis in this way. For this you need:
- Spread linoleum in the room and let it “lie down”.
- Press down on the material with your fingers and, stepping back 1.2 cm from the crease, start cutting at an angle of 45 degrees.
Laying rules for different coatings
The preparation of different surfaces has its own specifics..
Consider the requirements for any base for future coverage:
- It should be dry, smooth, firm. Use a spirit level to check the flatness of the surface..
- Allowable size of gaps – 0.3 cm.
- Check for irregularities, sagging, cracks, bulges, protruding screws, nail heads.
Laying on uneven subfloors accelerates the wear of the coating, shortening its lifespan. The initial state of the foundation determines the scope of preparation work.
If you are going to lay linoleum on a wooden floor, then you need to inspect the floors for dropped fragments, curvatures, drops, all kinds of deformations.
Disadvantages are eliminated in several ways:
- You can putty problem areas, and then grind the surface with a grinder or plane.
- To make sheathing of fiberboard / chipboard / plywood. Hardboard flooring allowed.
- Reanimate damaged parquet by replacing missing planks and cycling it.
- Use self-leveling floors.
Linoleum is often laid over concrete. In almost every case, such a surface must be leveled..
Suitable for this:
- Cover fiberboard / chipboard.
- Fill with a self-leveling mixture if it is necessary to eliminate minor surface differences.
- Make a concrete screed.
A new screed dries within a month, and self-leveling mixtures dry in a few days, which significantly saves time. Make sure you choose the right linoleum, as not all varieties can be laid on a concrete floor..
For such bases, the following flooring models are suitable:
- Materials on a heat and sound insulating base.
- The main type of alkyd linoleum, having a non-woven / woven backing.
- Some types of coating that exclude the possibility of combining directly with a rough version of the concrete base, so you will need to create a dry layer using sheet material.
Consider a few more simple types of bases and the nuances of laying linoleum on them:
- On the carpet. You need to get rid of the obsolete coating in the room, clean the surface and level the problem areas.
- On linoleum. Not everyone wants to do unnecessary work, spend time and effort dismantling the old coating, so they limit themselves to laying new linoleum on top of the existing one. Such a base only needs to be thoroughly degreased..
- On the tiles. This is most often done in the kitchen or in the hallway. Loose tiles are re-glued. For leveling the surface, the leveling compound and the Knauf floating floors are equally suitable..
How much linoleum should lie down after laying?
It is important to consider three factors:
- thickness of linoleum;
- the amount of time during which the roll has acclimatized;
- room temperature during acclimatization.
To calculate the minimum time (hours), the following formula is proposed: coating thickness (mm) x 3, provided that the temperature regime is ≥20 ° C or x 4, when the temperature was 10-15 ° C. A day is enough to align the folds. Of course, we are not talking about strong bends, when the base is torn..
Soundproofing in the apartment
If noise insulation of floors is a priority, then to achieve the desired effect, you should use at the same time:
- Three-layer “floating” screed. It is a combination of a rigid sub-base, an insulating layer and a screed. Installation is carried out in a well-dried and heated room. Damping material is used to fill the gaps between the floor and walls. Skirting boards are attached only to one surface – the floor or walls, so that vibration bridges do not form.
- A sound-insulating underlay, the flooring of which is made both separately under the linoleum, and as a supplement to the sound-insulating “floating” floor. The substrate should be moderately thick and soft. If you plan to lay natural linoleum, then this part must be cork / jute and you should use waterproofing.
- Soundproof linoleum.
How to fix?
Although in rooms of a small footage, the coating is not glued, here it may be necessary to fix the joints. This is done with double-sided tape. A longitudinal line is drawn on one canvas, indicating the middle of the adhesive tape. Having glued it in the right place, the protective layer is removed and two canvases are laid. Linoleum will stick to the tape, and the tape to the floor, and all together will ensure the fixation of the coating. It remains to install the skirting boards and nail or fasten the sills to the screws, fixing the linoleum at the transitions to other rooms. If the operation does not involve frequent rearrangement of furniture or equipment, then fixing the baseboards is quite enough. For other cases, there is glue installation and additional fixation with skirting boards..
First, the floor and the back of the coating are primed. After a couple of days, when the primed surfaces have dried, we proceed to the installation itself..
- Apply glue-mastic to the area of the base that is covered with linoleum and to the canvas itself.
- Transfer it to the treated area, then press down well.
- Smooth out the coating with a roller, removing air residues.
When applying mastic, it is important to ensure that the layer is not excessive, as a result of which the linoleum can go bumps.
You can also lay the flooring dry. Sequencing:
- First, you need to glue the perimeter of the base, the joints and optionally the entire coating with adhesive tape, leaving the protective layer of the tape intact.
- Spread the canvas, cut it out, let it rest.
- Trim seam allowances.
- Glue the first panel parallel to the wall.
- Raise the panel to the wall along which it was glued, after which, one by one, release the attached tapes from the protective layer, fixing the linoleum throughout the entire area.
The rest of the canvases are glued in the same way, then they are carefully smoothed, trying not to miss a single unevenness, otherwise all the work will go down the drain.
Flooring can be done with glue. Procedure:
- Unscrew the sheet from one edge, distribute the glue evenly over the base and leave the sheet on the floor. Roll the opposite side of the web to the border of the mastic coverage area and distribute the glue over the base of the other part.
- A large roller is ideal for quick leveling of the surface. They begin to wield the tool from the middle, gradually moving towards the edges and getting rid of excess air.
- Smooth the canvas next to the walls using a spatula.
- With a metal ruler, the canvas is sequentially pressed closer to the wall, and then the excess is cut off with a knife, after having tucked a hook-shaped blade into it.
- The second canvas is fixed to glue in the same way, and it will need to be glued with an overlap on the surface of the first, going three centimeters.
It will take three days for the coating to become durable. Docking points can be processed after a day has passed from the moment of installation.
Natural linoleum can be qualitatively laid using special glue with specific properties. For this reason, increased requirements are imposed on the base. The surface must be dry, clean and absorbent, and self-leveling mixtures help to achieve these conditions. The roll is acclimatized and must be rewound so that the front side is inside: this will reduce the longitudinal shrinkage due to the action of the water-dispersed adhesive.
- Cut the sheets according to the arrows on the back of the blade.
- Open and stir the glue. Distribute it on the prepared base.
- This type of linoleum is glued along the strip, and rolled with a steel roller, which weighs about 10 kg, which allows you to evenly distribute the glue, removing air from the bottom.
- After rolling the joints, the glue is allowed to dry completely, and then the joints are joined with a combi-marker for the welding cord.
- After cleaning the seams with a vacuum cleaner, you can start soldering, preheating them with a hairdryer to 350 ° C. Finishing trimming is carried out when the seams are completely dry..
How to cut?
The first stage of do-it-yourself flooring technology involves marking the linoleum and cutting, when the coating has acclimatized in the room, lay down and smoothed out, getting rid of a specific “new” smell.
There are two options:
- Rolling the material along the base and cutting off the excess in places, which is faster than the second method, but the accuracy of cutting is questionable here if there is no skill.
- Carrying out all measurements with subsequent transfer to the surface to be cut. In this case, damage to the canvas is possible due to an error in dimensions..
When laying involves the use of a solid canvas, then after 2 days it will be possible to start installing the skirting boards, that is, in fact, to complete the work.
When you have to lay several canvases, it is important to master the wisdom of joining linoleum:
- When working with monochromatic canvases, place them in the direction of the light to achieve a “monolithic” coating.
- Place patterned linoleum against the outer wall, making sure that the pattern of the canvases clearly matches.
- The connection of individual fragments implies their docking with each other along the factory edges..
- To make it easier to perform trimming, bending around utilities, wait until the material finally acclimates and acquires the necessary flexibility. At the points of the cut, the coating is alternately bent at the desired angles, neatly forming a contour.
Ready-made templates should be allowed to rest for several days. The canvases are laid out on the floor, observing the cutting pattern, and fixed with massive objects.
Advantages and disadvantages
Consider in detail the arguments in favor of purchasing linoleum:
- Hygiene. It is immune to dust, is of no interest to pathogens and is dust-repellent.
- A variety of colors and textures. A large assortment expands the possibilities for decorating premises for any purpose and style..
- Simple installation. Self-laying linoleum is a procedure available to everyone who knows how to handle the simplest household tool.
- Hassle-free service. To keep your linoleum floor clean, just a simple wash with water.
It is common for newer models to have an anti-slip or bacteriostatic coating that only benefits..
There are also several disadvantages:
- Contact with open fire and chemicals is contraindicated for this material; exposure to low temperatures and direct sunlight is also undesirable..
- High plasticity is another negative characteristic of linoleum. Regardless of the type, the flexible material always takes the shape of the surface on which it is laid, so the existing base will definitely need high-quality preparation. Otherwise, any unevenness will be noticeable, which will affect the appearance of the linoleum and nullify the effort spent..
How to cut linoleum?
The main types of cutting tools successfully used in cutting linoleum are of three types: retractable construction knife, flooring knife and linoleum cutting knife. Sometimes, in the absence of the above tools, a clerical knife can be used, provided that a stock of replaceable blades is used.
However, such a knife can only be suitable for cutting thin linoleum. The cutting angle with such a knife should be kept the same. Otherwise, there is a high probability that the knife will “lead” to the side, and, instead of a straight edge of linoleum, you are guaranteed to get a “fringe” effect along the edge of the cut material.
The choice of tool for cutting linoleum very much depends on the thickness, density of the coating and the complexity of the shape that must be given to the various parts of the material that is used..
A retractable construction knife is better suited for cutting thick types of linoleum, as it has a stronger structure than a clerical one. Although the design principle of this knife is the same, however, the thickness of the blade and the guiding elements are made taking into account the greater load on the cutting surface..
Such a knife will be able to qualitatively cut linoleum of any thickness. The tool itself can be used for other functional tasks when repairing your apartment, but it will not always allow you to accurately cut the coating for parts of the material that are installed end-to-end. Uneven seams can be conspicuous.
The flooring knife is a very durable and easy-to-use tool that allows you to cut any type of flooring used for flooring. However, its technical design will allow high-quality cutting of material only in a straight line..
The linoleum cutting knife is a specialized tool with a fixed curved blade designed for cutting linoleum of any available density. If it is on sale, then it is better to opt for it. It is a knife equipped with a front-loading retractable blade and several working positions.
How to cut linoleum
If you decide to start making changes in your apartment, starting them from the kitchen, then you will definitely need to change or lay linoleum. The modern quality of materials allows you to use linoleum in the corridor or hall.
Having made the necessary measurements, you will be faced with the task of cutting the material correctly. The appearance of the final work on the improvement of the floor of your premises will depend on the quality and accuracy of cutting..
Most often, linoleum sellers offer you to purchase a special knife when purchasing material. Those who have not encountered the features of cutting this finishing material mistakenly assume that this operation can be performed using improvised tools, the list of which includes knives (kitchen, pen, stationery), scissors (gardening, tailors), etc..
Of course, for such operations, there are specialized tools, the use of which guarantees you high quality joints between parts of linoleum prepared for flooring..
The cutting technique of linoleum itself also affects the quality of the connection of its individual parts. The easiest and most common way to cut the material in the same way to eliminate gaps in the joints is to overlap the edge of one piece of linoleum when cutting. Cut both pieces of material at the same time, then you can avoid gaps with a width of 1 mm or more.
The inaccuracy of the joints between the parts of the linoleum will lead to the accumulation of dirt in the crevices, which will lead to rapid wear and the violation of the integrity of the entire coating. This cutting technique requires increased attention to the quality of the cutting surface, since any mistake made during this process will damage both pieces of material, and, as a result, increased labor or financial costs..
DIY: How to lay vinyl or lino flooring
How to properly cut linoleum?
When cutting linoleum, we will need other tools: a square, rulers of different lengths, a spatula with teeth. The procedure for cutting and laying linoleum:
To level the coating, linoleum must be rolled out and left to level for a while..
It is necessary to cut material blanks taking into account the allowances for cutting and shrinkage of the coating (from 2 to 6 cm, depending on the length of the material).
After cutting the linoleum into ready-made pieces, they must be left for 4-5 days in the form of a stack of sheets, for full straightening.
After straightening, it is necessary to arrange the pieces of linoleum on the floor and where it is necessary to fit, cutting off small pieces of the coating at the locations of protrusions, pipes and other communications, pre-marking on thick paper, which will be used when cutting the coating as a template.
You can adjust the dimensions of the covering directly on the floor if there are no additional protrusions in the room and the room has the correct shape.
Cut linoleum at the base of the corners should be “V-shaped”, pressing it to the floor with a ruler or corner, cut along a ruler.
When using linoleum with a complex visible pattern, perform face-up cutting operations to evaluate the quality of the joint pattern of the applied coating.
Linoleum should be cut along a long line, starting from one side of the wall..
After cutting the first piece, secure the edge of the cut material with any heavy object. Mark a seam line over the finished piece. Place the next piece on the finished piece, cut both along the intended mowing line, butt the new piece back to back.
High-quality raw material, the right tool, precise cutting of the coating, linoleum installation end-to-end and a good fit when the material shrinks will bring you maximum satisfaction with the work performed, and the room will sparkle with new colors. The new coating of your floor also depends not only on the tool you choose, but also on the patience when cutting the linoleum..