How to cut a porcelain stoneware angle grinder without chips
Almost every home craftsman has an angle grinder, or an angle grinder. Therefore, it is she who is most often cut porcelain stoneware. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to make such a cut without chips, but it is quite possible to minimize their number. For this it is very important to choose the right disc. He must have:
- High-quality diamond dusting;
- Marking confirming that the device is intended for cutting porcelain stoneware;
- The minimum possible thickness;
- Continuous cutting edge.
An angle grinder is a potentially dangerous tool, so do not ignore the safety rules. You should take care of the means of protection. The kit includes:
- Respirator, as a lot of dust is generated when cutting.
- Safety goggles to prevent possible eye contact with disc fragments.
- Special clothing.
- Earplugs or ear muffs to protect your hearing from loud noise.
It is not recommended to neglect protective equipment, even if you plan to cut several plates.
Cutting porcelain stoneware tiles correctly with an angle grinder is quite simple if you follow the instructions:
- A ready place to work. On the leveled surface We lay a substrate that protects the base. You can choose penoplex, polystyrene, etc.
- We put the part face up on the base, mark the section of the cut on it. So that there are fewer chips, we glue a strip of masking tape on it, draw a cutting line along it.
- We apply a metal corner over the tile along the cut path, fix it with clamps. This will allow you to make an accurate cut. This must be done when cutting products with a large thickness.
- We start the angle grinder. We cut the part at a time, direct it “away from ourselves.” To get an even edge, cut off the fragment so that the line of the marking is preserved on the product. It will be removed during the sanding process, and the tile will retain the specified size.
- We remove the masking tape, if necessary, grind the end of the part.
If the plate is thin or you do not need a perfectly straight cut, you can simplify your work. The angle grinder does NOT cut, but only cut. Then the fragment is broken off with a sharp strong movement.
It is very convenient to use a grinder to cut porcelain stoneware tiles. First of all, because it is the most accessible of all devices that can be applied. They can make cuts of various shapes, including any curved. However, the angle grinder is traumatic, you need to work very carefully. It is very dusty and noisy.
How and what to cut porcelain stoneware at home: 4 proven methods
How to cut a glass cutter porcelain stoneware
This is the easiest tool to use. It also gives a minimal effect. With the help of a glass cutter, you can cut off porcelain stoneware, but provided that its thickness is small. This is how wall cladding is most often cut. Glass cutter will NOT cope with floor tiles.
There are two types of tools: with a hard metal roller and with a diamond cutter. The latter option cuts better, but fails faster. Its cost is higher than that of a roller analogue.
With a glass cutter, you can make a straight or curly cut. In the latter case, you will also need special nippers. To cut the tiles along a straight mowing line, proceed as follows:
- We lay the cladding on a flat base. Determine where the cut line will be.
- We take a ruler, lay it along the future cutting line of the cut and press it with our fingers.
- Gently, but with strong pressure, draw the line along the ruler with the tool. Try to scratch a deep enough groove at a time. Otherwise, chips cannot be avoided.
- We put the part on the edge of the table or workbench and press firmly on its edge. So that the cladding splits at the intended mowing line.
- The edge is sanded if necessary.
If you want to make a curvilinear cut, the glass cutter is held by the line. Then you need to take pliers and use them to remove sections of the tile. The closer the cut is to the mowing line, the smaller the pieces should be cut off. The edge with such processing will turn out to be sharp and not quite even, so it must be sanded.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a tile cutter
The principle of the tool is somewhat similar to the glass cutter. There, too, there is a cutting roller, which moves along the guides. In addition to it, there is a bed on which the part is laid, a lever and guides. It is very important that the diameter of the cutting element matches the height of the tile.
In addition, when choosing a device, pay attention to:
- The base of the device. The metal from which it is made must be thick enough so that the base does NOT vibrate or sag during cutting.
- Strength of guides and supports.
- Smooth movement of the carriage. It is desirable that this is provided by special bearings.
- No backlash when moving the carriage. If it is available, it is impossible to make a straight cut.
Tile cutters vary in length and it is best to choose a long model. This will make it possible to cut porcelain stoneware of different sizes, not only along the side, but also diagonally.
To cut off a piece of porcelain tiles with your own hands along a straight mowing line, you need to follow these steps:
- Place the tile cutter on a solid, level surface.
- On the product we outline the cut line.
- We lay the part on the bed so that the trajectory of the roller goes exactly according to the outline.
- We perform the cut by pressing on the carriage and move it away from you.
- I release the handle and break the part with strong pressure.
- Grind the cut to remove Possible chips.
Working with a mechanical tile cutter is very simple, even a novice master can handle it. There are, however, some disadvantages that you need to know:
- A fragment already 6 mm wide cannot be cut in this way.
- It is also impossible to chamfer or make curved cuts with a mechanical tile cutter.
- If the cut falls on the edge under the glue or the surface of the material is ribbed, there is a very high probability of chipping.
Cut off the plate without chips
Porcelain stoneware belongs to the materials of increased strength. It has virtually no pores, does not absorb water and does NOT crumble. It is very difficult to even scratch it. Therefore, in home craftsmen the question arises of how to cut off porcelain stoneware without chips and is it possible at all. It must be admitted that theoretically this is possible, but in practice it turns out very rarely. often small chips remain on the cut, which account for thin sections.
To keep them as small as possible, experienced craftsmen advise following these recommendations:
- Cut the part from the top side. Most material chips appear where the cutter exits the plate.
- The smaller the thickness of the selected cutting disc of the grinder, the lower the probability of chipping.
- Reduce torch speed at the start and end of the cut line.
- When working with a mechanical tile cutter, the pressure on the lever is stronger than when cutting ordinary tiles.
- Make a cut slightly to the right of the intended mowing line so that it remains on the cut piece. Then it will be possible to remove unwanted chips with a sander.
It is very important that the tool is of high quality and suitable for working with the selected material. Otherwise, it is almost impossible to get a beautiful cut without chips. If, nevertheless, they do appear, which happens most often, the defects should be sanded down. You can use sandpaper or a diamond sponge.
The best option is a grinder with a special attachment. This is the so-called turtle or flexible diamond circle. They are distinguished by the diameter of the particles deposited on the surface of the diamond coating. The turtle can only work with a grinder, the model of which provides for the ability to adjust the number of revolutions. If it is above three thousand per minute, the nozzle can fly off the wasp.
Tools for cutting porcelain stoneware
Before determining how and what to cut porcelain stoneware at home, it is worth understanding its features. It is a composite material that successfully combines the properties of natural stone and ceramics. It is made by pressing a mixture pre-fired at high temperatures. The result is a very strong and durable material. During the production process, it can be given a wide variety of colors and textures.
The surface of the ceramic is matte, glossy, structured, etc. Consider this when choosing a cutting method.
You can cut a fragment of a tile using various tools:
- Glass cutter;
- Electric tile cutter (aka wet cutter)
- Mechanical tile cutter;
- Angle Grinder;
- Waterjet cutting attachments.
The latter method is not used in a home workshop, since it is assumed that special expensive equipment is available.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with an electric tile cutter
In the recommendations on how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home, you can read that it is convenient to do it with a wet cutter. This is the name of an electric type tile cutter, for which a diamond cutting disc is used. To cool it, water is supplied to the part during the cutting process (hence the name of the device).
There are two types of equipment: with upper and lower supply of tiles. The first ones make the cut as accurately as possible and are more expensive. For household chores, budget devices are more often purchased that feed parts from below.
Devices of any type make it possible to make cuts not only straight, but also curved. To cut a piece of porcelain stoneware tiles, do the following:
- We outline the cutting line.
- Fixing the part to the bed using special clamps. If you have to make a curved incision, you will have to hold it with your hands.
- We start the device. First, we select the minimum disk speed, so the part does not deform.
- By gradually increasing the cutting speed. Make sure that the element does NOT move from vibration.
The cuts made with such equipment are more accurate and better than with a mechanical device. It is especially appreciated by beginners as it is capable of completely leveling the so-called shaky hand factor. In addition, the device allows you to cut fragments less than 6 mm wide, does not generate dust or noise. The main disadvantage of the device is the high price of quality models.
There are many ways to cut porcelain stoneware tiles. All of them are quite effective. When choosing the best option for yourself, you need to take into account the availability or availability of Special Tools and your own experience when working with them. If you have the skills, you should think about the Electric tile cutter, it is more expensive, but allows beginners to make even cuts.
This type of tool is one of the most affordable options for adjusting tiles to the required dimensions. The angle grinder can be used to cut ceiling, wall, floor and even mosaic tiles, both tiled and porcelain stoneware. In addition, it is Indispensable in a situation when it is necessary to perform a cut of a curly.
The best cutting result is shown by thin diamond-coated discs, they are also dry cutters. If the beauty of the cut doesn’t matter, a regular disc will do. There is no point in explaining how to cut a tile with an angle grinder correctly, since there is a special difference from metal or concrete processing in this process.
It is not necessary to spend on a special tool, a regular glass cutter will do. But in large-scale repairs it is unlikely to help, a small amount of material is another matter. Of course, the cutting roller must have a diamond element, otherwise the efficiency of the glass cutter will be questionable.
Answering the question of how to cut a glass cutter tile, we can safely say. just like glass! However, there are some nuances:
- Before starting the procedure, the plate is immersed in water for 30 minutes to soften the structure;
- Then you need to make a markup based on the dimensions of the working surface;
- Then it is laid on a smooth and flat surface and the cut is made along the marks with one strong movement;
- In total, under the formed fishing line, you need to put a wooden block and press on both sides of the material.
If you are going to use a glass cutter to cut a tile or porcelain stoneware tile, buy more material, you cannot do without cracks and chips!
You can cut off a curly ceramic granite tile at home with just a few tools, a jigsaw is one of them. Using diamond wire as a cutting element, it can cope with a wide variety of sections, including complex cutting around. They can effectively process wall, ceiling and even dense floor tiles, but it is better to refuse to process the mosaic, otherwise you can damage your own limbs. To properly cut the figure in this way, you need to abundantly wet the material as it dries and promptly clean the surface of debris.
This mechanism has proven itself perfectly when processing tiles. Similar results can be achieved in the case of porcelain stoneware, having previously familiarized yourself with the installation design. It consists of a base (platform) and several guides along which the carriage moves, and with it the cutting mechanism, located below. There is a handle on top that allows you to cut the material mechanically. Thanks to the rather neat results of the cut without chips, this type of tile cutter is the main tool of many construction specialists.
Better than a manual tile cutter, only an electrical modification can cut off, we’ll talk about it later. Everyone can use the manual option, because by and large, you need to correctly perform 4 steps:
- Layout on the tile future line cut.
- Place the material on the platform so that the mark is aligned with the cutting roller.
- Next, holding the stove with your hand, take the handle and apply a slight effort to move the carriage from one side of the guides to the other, thus making a cut.
- To break, you need to apply force to the handle.
Experts do NOT recommend using a manual tile cutter for processing mosaic tiles and in cases where the material thickness exceeds 15 mm. However, even in the permissible range, you can make a mistake with the selection of the desired installation, because the dimensions of the tile cutter can be different. So, ceiling and wall tiles are cut with a tile cutter up to 40 cm long, floor tiles. for larger models.
Electric tile or wet cutter
This device is capable of adjusting the size of the heavy-duty tiles. By its design, it is a conventional machine with an electric drive. In other words, if you need to apply force to work with the manual option, in an electrically driven machine everything is automated.
An electric cutter at home is rarely used because of too high prices. It is not strange, because nothing better than this mechanism has yet been created. The installation is capable of processing Huge volumes of material for wall and floor finishing for any size with excellent final quality (complete absence of chips, roughness and cracks), which allows it to be actively used for commercial purposes.
If the Goals do NOT imply enrichment, but only require the completion of the repair, then you need to follow a few simple steps yourself:
- Fill the tray with water.
- Install tiles on the Footprint.
- Smoothly skip tiles under the disc.
With intensive use of the equipment, it is necessary to periodically change the water in the sump, as well as clean off plaque from the disc. These actions will help you get the most out of your wet cutter.
How to cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home
Before starting to decorate the walls, floor or ceiling with porcelain stoneware tiles, each owner should be well prepared, both theoretically and practically. A person who has come across how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home will confirm that the main pitfall of the process is cutting the material to certain sizes, especially in the case of a stronger floor. Of course, it is likely that in SEPARATE cases the dimensions of the full row will correspond to the length of the wall, but even with such layouts, it is not necessary to forget about the corners, heating mains and other built-in elements. Here, you will definitely have to think about how to cut a tile with a tile cutter into a smaller surface area, and not split it at the same time.
In the arsenal of any owner, you can find a wide variety of tools, which will allow you to process floor, ceiling and wall tiles, which means that success is guaranteed. But in order to achieve it, the availability of equipment alone is not enough, you need to know how to use a tile cutter or any other unit at home.
Choosing a tool in order to cut even the most common mosaic tiles, you will have to “break your head”. Judge for yourself, every second knows how to cut ceramic tiles, and only a few will answer the same question regarding more durable materials. In addition, it is unlikely that it will be possible to achieve success without certain skills, so it is better to practice well.
Absolutely all tools capable of cutting porcelain tiles are divided into two types:
- Mechanical. installations that allow you to perform a manual cut.
- Electric. automatic devices.
Waterjet cutting of porcelain stoneware
It is impossible to carry out the procedure for cutting the material in this way at home, since the cutting of ceramic tiles or the same porcelain stoneware is carried out using expensive professional special-purpose equipment. In other words, it is obvious that it is unprofitable to purchase such an installation for single purposes, therefore, the purpose in a waterjet machine is exclusively commercial. That is, it is the main tool of businessmen specializing in the processing of building materials.
By contacting such an organization, for a certain amount of money, the consumer will receive porcelain stoneware tiles of any required dimensions with a perfectly flat cut as soon as possible. No matter what type of material needs to be cut, the unit will work equally effectively on ceiling, wall and even floor tiles.
So, the cut is directly performed by water and abrasive particles, which, under high pressure in a mixed state, are fed to the tile surface through a thin (0.2. 0.4 mm) hole, thus cutting through the tile structure. With such a water-jet jet, you can process any building materials, the thickness of which does NOT exceed 200 mm.
Summing up all of the above, we can confidently say that giving the desired shape to porcelain stoneware is within the power of any responsible owner. Wall, floor, ceiling tiles and even small mosaics can be easily processed with the described tools!
What tools are used
So, how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home? Hand tools are ineffective in this case. The glass cutter should generally be forgotten. But there is a way out. First of all, it is worth mentioning such a tool, which is available in the arsenal of almost every real owner and craftsman. this is an angle grinder. It can be used to successfully perform both a straight spray and a curved cut.
Do not use a glass cutter to cut porcelain tiles.
Another tool is a tile cutter. It is of two types: manual and electric. Since we are talking about porcelain stoneware, it is better to use the electric option. Of course, it will take up more space than an angle grinder or its manual alternative, but the efficiency is impressive.
You can use a device similar to an electric cutter, then you really did not find anything suitable. Replace a circular saw blade with a diamond one and you will get a good tool for working with porcelain stoneware.
If you intend to cut a large amount of porcelain stoneware, you can ask for help from special firms that provide this kind of service. They have all the necessary equipment for any kind of work. For curly cutting, the method of waterjet cutting is used, but this service is quite decent.
A circular saw
How else can you cut porcelain tiles at home? If you are the owner of a summer house or a private house, you probably have your own workshop. One of the most essential tools in this case is a circular saw. It is a toothed disc machine. Since the work is related to the processing of porcelain stoneware, you need to change the attachment to a diamond blade for dry cutting.
After the preparation is completed, the line of the cut is outlined, you can start working. Press the tile against the table and gently push it forward with both hands, taking care of your fingers. This option is suitable for large amounts of work with a straight cut.
Porcelain stoneware gained its popularity due to its unique properties, however, these advantages complicate the process of cutting tiles at home.
The following features of porcelain stoneware should be highlighted:
- Wear resistance;
- Frost resistance;
- Environmental friendliness;
Due to the almost complete absence of pores in the structure of the material, porcelain stoneware is super strong.It does not scratch, and does not wear out, and does not crumble, but that is why it is very difficult to cut it yourself. How to be in such a situation?
Porcelain stoneware is a very durable material
Tile cutter, Used for adjusting the shapes and sizes of heavy duty materials used in electrical version. It looks like a machine with a diamond disc. In this case, it is recommended to use the wet cutting attachment. On the machine, you can conveniently fix the tile, thus preventing its displacement in the process.
The powerful professional electric cutter will quickly handle large tile volumes
How to cut porcelain stoneware tiles with a tile cutter:
- Fill the tray with water. This will ensure cleanliness during operation. In the future, you need to change it often enough so that the accumulated particles do not get on the disk and DO NOT damage it.
- Place the tiles on the cutting surface of the cutter.
- Hold the porcelain stoneware with your hands, preferably on both sides, if possible.
- Press lightly and guide material towards the blade.
From time to time, you need to clean off plaque from the disc so as not to reduce the efficiency of the tool.
The angle grinder is the number one tool that can easily cut porcelain stoneware tiles. To do this, use a diamond-coated dry cutting nozzle.
The all-round helper for porcelain stoneware tiles. the angle grinder
In order not to skew the line of the cut and NOT damage the tiles, you must first tent the outlines with chalk, pencil or marker. Then fix the porcelain stoneware to a stable surface. The disc is installed in the direction of travel angle grinder.
Get to work after checking that the attachment is secure. Step back a little from the mowing line of the marking and start working. Move smoothly, slowing down to the edges. The disadvantage of using an angle grinder is a high percentage of the likelihood of chipping, that is, marriage. This is especially true for glazed tiles. Therefore, it is better to consider the option using a tile cutter.
We cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home
When working with porcelain stoneware at home, the question often arises. how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles? This material is in some way very similar to ordinary tiles, but for the most part it has a number of striking differences. In this regard, most of the tools that are successfully used for cutting tiles, in this case, are not at all suitable.
Due to the high strength of the material, not all tools are suitable for cutting porcelain tiles.
For complex shape cutting, the best option is to use an electric jigsaw and a diamond saw. With its help, you can carry out the finest work even on such a durable material as porcelain stoneware.
A good jigsaw and a special saw will allow you to cut high-quality porcelain stoneware
Draw the outline of the cutout. To see where you are going, you can slightly moisten porcelain stoneware with water. Blowing dust along the way to see the line and NOT clog the path of the cutting part.
When choosing a tool, consider the shape of the tile, the type of coverage, and the amount of work to be done. Several elements can be trimmed using the tools at hand. But for a large number of tiles, it is better to use a special device. a tile cutter.
The better to cut porcelain stoneware
Sizes of ceramic granite tiles (cm):
The last size of porcelain stoneware tiles belongs to the so-called thin porcelain stoneware, which is most often used in the renovation of residential premises. It is especially beautiful when decorating walls and plinths of facades of private houses. There is another way to cut porcelain stoneware tiles, but with small amounts of work, this is the work of a glass cutter.
Complex shaped cutting of porcelain stoneware
Very often, it is necessary to cut curly sections in porcelain stoneware tiles. For example, for curved steps, holes in tiles for columns or pipes. How to do it?
What way to choose to cut curly porcelain stoneware tiles:
- Hole saw;
- Angle Grinder.
What is the advice of a specialist in these cases? Hole saw. perfectly copes with the task when it is necessary to make round holes in porcelain stoneware. But alas, it works slowly but accurately. The ballerina also copes with the task of dusting round holes in the tiles, but she does it very carelessly, the edges remain uneven and often have to be refined by hand, and trimming is inevitable. An angle grinder is the best option for curved cuts.
Thus, it is possible to correct the unevenness of the cut with a grinder. It is necessary to work with a grinder “from yourself”. All tile ends must be sanded with a grinder or sandpaper. Next comes the final processing of the tile cuts. it is necessary to prove with a grinder, Applying flexible grinding wheels with grit size 80-100.
How and how to cut porcelain stoneware floor tiles
It is best to spray porcelain stoneware floor tiles using an angle grinder with diamond wheel. But at the same time it is necessary to use personal protective equipment against dust and noise.
Personal protective equipment when working with an angle grinder:
- Protective gloves;
Experts give a few tips for beginners when working with an angle grinder, if you need to cut porcelain stoneware floor tiles, because these tiles are thick. It is necessary to put foam plastic under the tile, put it on a hard, even surface. To reduce the number of chips at the cut point on the tile on the front side, it is necessary to stick masking tape and apply a cut thread with a pencil on top of the tape.
With a large thickness of the tile, to control the accuracy of the cut, it is necessary to use a metal building angle, it is attached with clamps to the tile, on the front side, and thus it is possible to correctly cut the tile.
How to properly cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home
Porcelain stoneware is an excellent finishing material that combines the best qualities of ceramics and natural stone. The material is stronger than granite, wear-resistant and resistant to aggressive environments. The tile is produced by the industry various.
Types of porcelain stoneware:
- Technical porcelain stoneware;
- Structured or patterned porcelain stoneware;
- Slim. slim.
Any shape and configuration can be cut from porcelain stoneware tiles at home. Porcelain stoneware tiles are often used in the design of the floor, steps of stairs, porch, walls and plinths of the house. Although the material is very hard, it often leaves NOT neat chips at the cut. Types of cutting porcelain stoneware tiles at home. using an angle grinder with a diamond disc (diamond), tile cutter, glass cutter, jigsaw, Waterjet cutting (only industrial cutting on professional equipment).
An angle grinder with a diamond wheel is often the only option for cutting porcelain tiles. But when working with this famous tool, there are some nuances. The fact is that when tiles are cut, this work is associated with the release of a huge amount of harmful dust, an unpleasant burnt smell and wild noise. Therefore, when working with an angle grinder, you must protect your eyes with protective goggles, and also wear a respirator.
It is necessary to work with the disc carefully, drive the disc along the mowing line, retreating behind the cut line 2-3 mm from the mowing line towards the chips. It is also necessary to press the tool firmly and guide it along the mowing line calmly, with great pressure. If you spray in this way, then the cut will be neat, without chips. There is also one more tip when working with porcelain stoneware. The ceramic granite tile must be rigidly fixed, clamped with clamps and screwed to a fixed surface such as a table. The fact is that this must be done according to safety precautions. after all, when cutting, you must press hard on the tool.
Simple cutting of porcelain stoneware with a tile cutter
It is necessary to find out what kind of tile cutters are. Types of tile cutters. manual and electric (this is a stationary machine). Basically, the principle of operation of an electric and manual tile cutter is almost the same. But they differ in price.
In an electric tile cutter there is more convenience and quality of cutting tiles, compared to a manual tile cutter, but an electric tile cutter has a rather high price, no one leases it, and it has a high energy consumption. But the quality is, of course, excellent. During work, there is practically no dust from the tile, since when cutting, water is supplied to the wheel and cools it.
Granite processing at home
It is clear that cutting porcelain stoneware tiles is quite difficult. And more often than not, beginners should seek professional advice. They have dedicated tools and expertise.
Please note the restrictions on the use of a manual tile cutter:
- Only straight cuts through the entire tile;
- It is almost impossible to break off exactly a strip less than 6. 7 cm (depending on the thickness of the material);
- Problematic, the slanting mowing line breaks with chips if the cut hits the ribs from the back.
- Speed of work;
- No dust and noise;
- Ease of operation.
For particularly neat lines, you can use the same technology as for the angle grinder. Draw a line with a retreat of 2-3 mm., And then polish to the desired size. Used only in visible places.
When using an angle grinder, be sure to use protective equipment:
- A suit that covers the legs and arms;
- Protective glasses (better mask)
- Protective gloves or mittens;
- Respirator (required for a significant amount of work).
Advantages of using an angle grinder:
- The ability to cut an element of almost any shape. For a curved cut, you need good skills in working with the tool;
- The ability to trim tiles already laid in place;
- Tool availability.
- Injury hazard;
- Very difficult to obtain geometrically accurate cuts;
- High labor intensity of obtaining a clean cut without chips;
- Low speed of work;
- A lot of dust and noise.
An angle grinder will NOT succeed the first time Get a perfect cut. To obtain accurate cuts without chips, they cut with a distance of 2-5 mm from the line. Then they are brought to the required size by grinding. This is a rather time-consuming operation and takes a lot of time, therefore it is recommended to carry out only with elements that will be in a prominent place.
Cutting with a manual tile cutter
The tile cutter for porcelain stoneware is only electric. A specialized manual cutter for porcelain stoneware is available. But a good quality manual tile cutter can be used for THESE purposes. Most likely you will NOT be able to find a cheap suitable tool, and if you use one, the output will simply be a broken tile.
Basic requirements for the tool:
Good bed with strong stiffening rib. Otherwise, when the tile breaks, the bed will bend and the tile will riot clerks out of line;
- No backlash in the carriages (usually depends on the thickness of the guides). With use over time, any manual tile cutter begins to play. Therefore, it is not recommended to use old, untested ones;
- The thicker the tile, the thicker the cutting roller diameter should be;
- The carriage must run smoothly. This is achieved by special bearings. A bearingless carriage can also have a smooth running, but according to the experience of use it is not long and unstable, i.E. Once it rolled smoothly, and the next time there is no guarantee any comment.
- Apply markings to the tiles. The best way to do this is to use a building marker.
- Place the tiles on a flat surface. In some cases, it will be more convenient to fix the tile to the surface with clamps or fix it in workbenches.
- To obtain an even cut, you can additionally strengthen the metal strip along the cutting line with clamps. Then it will be necessary to cut along it.
- Cutting is carried out from the front side, since the largest number of chips is obtained at the exit. You can make a double cut. First, make a small furrow on the front side, and make the main cut on the back side. This method will minimize damage to the front surface.
- If there are no strict requirements for the cut, then you can not cut to the end. Making cuts, breaking the slab with your hands.
- It is recommended that the tool lead, starting from itself.
- Grind the cut additionally if necessary.
Cutting angle grinder
Angle grinder (angle grinder) is a versatile tool for cutting and processing a variety of materials. Due to its versatility, it does not apply to special tools. In a household, an angle grinder can solve many problems.
To cut porcelain stoneware, almost any angle grinder will do. There is no need for high power. A small, lightweight tool is even preferable to use. RPM is more important than power. A powerful tool will cut the tiles faster, but the speed can have a negative effect here. it will turn out less accurately.
The main issue is the selection of the cutting wheel. It is on the choice of the circle that you should pay special attention. And we are not talking about the landing size (he is also taken for granted).
- Layout tiles, it is recommended to use a construction marker.
- Lay the tiles on the cutter exactly along the line.
- Gently pull the line away from you with light pressure. In this case, it is important to maintain the same pressure on the entire stretch of the line. Important! On porcelain stoneware, the line is drawn once. Several lines are not allowed. Otherwise, the rift may not go along the line.
- Place the foot on the tile and press the break along the line.
- Grind the cut if necessary.
Raw materials consisting of clay, kaolin, quartz sand, feldspar and mineral additives are pressed under high pressure and then sintered at high temperatures. The resulting material has practically no pores and has a hardness equal to that of corundum (7. 8 on the Mohs scale). It is inferior in hardness to only a few materials, such as diamond, sapphire, ruby and others. At the same time, thin tiles (3 mm and thinner) are quite fragile.
Consider two ways to cut tiles at home. The methods have limitations, which will be discussed below, as well as ways to get around these limitations. They can achieve acceptable results, but it is better to cut porcelain stoneware using professional equipment. Only he will give a guaranteed result in an acceptable time with a large amount of work.
Choosing a cutting blade
The material is cut only with diamond discs. Diamond blades are produced in two types: solid and segmented. For best results, it is recommended that you try different cut-off wheels. For cutting porcelain stoneware, there are special features when using both solid and segmented discs:
Solid ones are positioned by manufacturers mainly for “wet” cutting. Those. For cutting with water or special fluids cooling. And they are not used for cutting without cooling, as they can quickly fail. However, when the task is to obtain a cut with as few chips as possible, a solid disc may be better suited. This is situational and largely depends on the specific material (quality, thickness, relief, etc.) that is processed;
Solid cutting disc.
Segment cutting disc.
In addition to the type, the discs differ in a whole set of characteristics: the density of the diamond coating, the height of the cutting edge, the thickness of the disc, etc. It is best to follow the disc manufacturer’s recommendations. The disks themselves usually indicate for what purposes they are used.
For cutting with a hand-held angle grinder, discs less than 2.0 mm thick are NOT acceptable. The height of the cutting edge must be greater than the thickness of the tile (affects the cleanliness of the cut).