How to reduce the width of horizontal blinds
If the horizontal blinds do not correspond to the width of the opening, they can be reduced by sawing off part of the structure from one or 2 sides at once (for symmetry). It is better to shorten from the side where the control mechanism is located:
- remove the plugs and protective cover from the eaves;
- slide the cord system and control mechanism over the pin;
- measure the desired size, put a mark;
- carefully fold all the lamellas into one multi-layer strip, clamp them with clamps or an elastic band so that they do not crumble;
- saw off the excess with a fine-toothed hacksaw;
- finish the edge with a file or sandpaper so that there is no burr, round the edges a little;
- reassemble the structure in the reverse order and you can install the blinds on the window.
It is better to modify metal and wooden horizontal blinds on a milling machine, so the edges will be much neater. The cut must be treated with a protective compound and, if necessary, tinted.
Graphic instructions on how to measure the opening in order to properly cut the blinds
The task of how to shorten blinds with horizontal slats in height is simpler:
- open the bottom bar;
- untie the knots on the restraining cords, remove the clips;
- remove excess slats, cut the lace to size and reassemble the blinds in the reverse order.
In order not to make mistakes in the process of work, be sure to watch the video tips on how to shorten the blinds correctly.
Roller blinds are untwisted from the roller, the canvas is removed. The roller is cut identically to the cornice, with a hacksaw. The fabric itself is laid out on the table, neatly traced to the size of the opening plus an allowance for the hem on the sides, trimmed with scissors and the edges are hemmed. Next, put in place the lower plumb rail
So that after the end edge is again glued to the shaft, the curtain does not turn out to be short, it is important not to forget about the allowance, which is equal to the circumference of the tube, usually 50 mm
Scheme of how to properly cut roller blinds
How to cut a roller blind on your own in width
Loggia Windows Which Are Better
Choosing the best windows to the balcony Windows in a spacious balcony If the balcony glazing has aged or for some other reason has finished to suit the owners, it is completely natural that they want to improve the situation. And then the question immediately arises about the quality, cost and which double-glazed windows on the balcony are considered the best. And the answer.
Adjustment of Plastic Windows Seal Replacement.
Do-it-yourself replacement of a plastic window seal Preface. Replacement of seals and fittings on plastic windows is often required after long-term use of windows. Over time, the rubber seal loses its elasticity and does not adhere well to the window sash, creating a draft and source of heat loss in the house. Let us consider in the article how.
Antikot Mesh On Plastic Windows Video.
Mosquito net “Anticoshka” versus a regular meshThis is about a mosquito net called “Anticoshka”. Let’s compare it with an ordinary mesh. Repair of seam. Do-it-yourself anti-cat net on a plastic window How to make and install the anti-cat net on a plastic window yourself. The cheapest, budget option.
How To Put Air Conditioner Into A Plastic Window.
All Methods of Installing a Mobile Air Conditioner in a Plastic Window One of the good methods to significantly reduce the temperature in a room during a hot summer is to install a mobile air conditioner. It is affordable, has a number of additional features, and can move freely from one room to another. But with all this, the question of withdrawing a corrugated pipe with hot in.
How to shorten horizontal blinds?
The horizontal blinds can also be adjusted to the required dimensions. The process will depend on how you need to shorten the blinds: in length or width.
If you need to reduce them in width, then you can simply cut off the excess number of lamellas. This can be done without even removing them from the window. First you need to determine how much shorter you want to make the product. To present this more clearly and not to be mistaken, you can make a mark in any convenient way on the window frame (for example, attach a piece of colored tape at the desired height).
Diagram of horizontal blinds.
After that, you need to bring the blinds into an open horizontal view. Then it is necessary to release from the latches the control rope, which is used for adjustment, from the lowest bar. To do this, remove the plastic fasteners holding the lace from this strip. You can untie the knots, but it will be faster to cut the rope. To keep it from blooming, you can burn its ends a little. After the fasteners are removed, you need to pull the control rope on both sides of the structure just above the level of the mark that is placed on the window frame.
Now you can neatly remove all the extra planks. In this case, care must be taken that the remaining lamellas do not slip down and do not lose their symmetrical position. The lower bar must be attached to the last lamella and all the others must be passed through it, including through the lowest control rope. The plastic clips must be attached to the ends of the rope as they were originally attached. But before that, you need to stretch part of the ladder, which remained from unnecessary lamellas, into the hole for fastening. Now, if you tighten the retainer and secure it in the hole, the ladder will also be secured. The remaining slats can be removed to the pantry so that you can replace any of those that remain in the blinds.
The process of reducing horizontal blinds in width is quite laborious and requires special tools. To shorten them, you will need, firstly, to reduce the cornice, and secondly, the blinds themselves. To do this, you need a hacksaw for metal and a tool for processing slices.
It will be necessary to collect all the lamellas together, fixing well, and saw off the extra centimeters, and then process their ends. It is quite difficult to shorten such blinds in width yourself, so it is better in this case to contact the master.
Pulling the cross thread
The second method is recommended when working with simple organza (without embossing) and similar fabrics. It is much easier. you just need to measure the length, make a small incision on the side and pull out any transverse thread. It should be removed carefully so as not to tear. A fishing line is formed (a small gap in the fabric), along which the canvas is cut.
How to shorten the length
Most often, adjustment of roller blinds along the length is not required, since it is enough just not to unwind the canvas to its full length
But if you are a perfectionist and it is extremely important for you that the blinds are of the right size, then follow these instructions:
- Hang the curtains, lower the canvas, wait for it to fully unfold and lie down neatly, then take measurements.
- Mark where you want to crop the canvas.
- Remove roller blinds, spread them out on a horizontal surface.
- Remove the weight from the bottom edge.
- Add an allowance of 40-50 mm to the measured length to create a new “” for the weight.
- Cut the fabric.
- Place a canvas underneath the curtain and sew a “” for the weighting agent, insert it.
- Hang the curtain on the window.
If the length of the “excess” fabric is not too long, then trimming can be dispensed with. It is enough to make a double fold of the fabric, with which you can hide up to 30 cm of fabric. This option of shortening the roller blind is much easier and faster.
Roller blinds for plastic windows
Traditional classic curtains and curtains always remain in fashion, but they do not always fit into the interior of the room and sometimes, they simply get bored.
In the design of modern rooms, roller blinds are relevant, they are also called roller blinds, or fabric roller shutters.
Roller blinds are perfect for both wooden-framed windows and plastic windows, which are clearly demonstrated by photos of various types of room design.
The main differences between roller blinds
Roll. curtains are a special canvas (more often, a hard fabric material), treated with an impregnation that repels dust and moisture.
A heavy plumb line (stick) is installed at the bottom of the canvas, which helps it to perfectly smoothly and easily wind on the shaft, rising, using one of the types of control:
- Electromechanical (movement due to an electric drive).
Roller shutters in the interior have been popular for a long time, you can pick them up individually in absolutely any room by types:
Classic version. They are mounted both in the opening and on the wall above the window. This type of curtain is an order of magnitude cheaper than other types, their price varies significantly depending on the size, but they are the most capricious in terms of cleaning. you will have to devote a little more time to this event.
Mini curtains. This type of roller blinds is attached precisely to the window (sash) itself, without drilling the frame. They are divided into: closed and open types, which perfectly coexist with traditional curtains. For their installation, special Velcro or staples are used.
Cassette roller blinds. Their difference from the rest is that at the bottom of the canvas there is a plastic box into which the curtain itself is twisted. When closed, thanks to the box, the curtains are completely invisible.
The main feature of this type is that they are tightly located to the glass of the window; for their installation and operation, side guides are used, which provide the rise and fall of the material so that the fabric does not hang down. This type is the most expensive roller shutter.
Materials for the manufacture of roller shutters
High-quality polyester is most popular in the manufacture of these curtains, but other materials are also used as an addition (viscose, linen, cotton, woven straw, etc.).
But modern design imagination does not stand still, eco-interiors are created, in which roller shutters with the use of bamboo and wood are relevant.
Bamboo curtains are the easiest and most reliable to use and have a number of advantages:
Roller blinds cutting table RollMaster 250. SAMEX
- Moisture resistant
- Easy to care for
- High throughput
- Compact and lightweight
- Act as an antistatic agent
The structure itself is assembled from professional plastic, which is the most reliable and durable in use. When buying such a mechanism, the kit also includes installation instructions, which allows you to install roller blinds yourself.
Fastening roller blinds
Roller blinds are divided into two types of fasteners:
Open type mount
In practice, such roller blinds are more used in working with plastic windows, fixing them both above the window opening and directly in it. Material control on the shaft (located between the two holders) is regulated by a spring mechanism or a chain.
It is used more for cassette roles. curtains, mainly for PVC windows, but not in principle. It is also possible to install roller blinds on windows without unnecessary drilling.
The type of fastening differs in that when installing roller blinds, there is a choice of types of closed fastening:
- De Luxe. The fabric moves in the guides themselves, U-shaped.
- Bamar. The curtain is controlled by any option (electric. mechanism, spring, chain). Recommended for wide, bulky windows.
- Uni. Works with the use of a box (cassette roller shutters)
Designers have found numerous applications for roller blinds for modern interiors.
The variety of materials allows them to be used in any room, both as tightly closed curtains made of natural linen and cotton, and as a translucent or completely transparent fabric.
Photo of roller blinds in the interior
It will not be possible to pull the thread out of capricious and dense materials in order to get an even line for cutting. it will simply break every time. The thread pulling method is not suitable for embossed curtains, for example, tapestry. Cuts can be made to make the process easier.
- lay out the tulle on the floor or other flat surface;
- fold the material in 2 times in width, combining the sides;
- secure the layers with tailor’s pins on the top and sides;
- measure the desired length, and then make cuts along the edges to the left and right with scissors;
- fold the fabric 2 times again, chop with needles and cut. repeat the required number of times so that there are 10-20 cm between the slots.
You can pre-chalk the fishing line to avoid mistakes.
We select tools
In order to cut roller blinds in width yourself, you will need the following tools:
- soap or a special pencil for fabric;
- household scissors or a sharp stationery knife;
- needles, threads;
- tape measure.
If the curtains are too wide, which goes beyond the size of the window, you need to narrow them. Initially, you need to unfold the canvas, after removing the plugs. Please note that the rolls are equipped with special weights, which must also be removed and cut to fit the new window.
How to cut roller blinds to the width yourself
Roller blinds are most often cut in order to change the design of the room, to decorate, to adjust them in accordance with the dimensions of the window openings. This is necessary when you change your place of residence. If initially your window had the same dimensions, and then you moved into another apartment and at the same time you do not want to buy new window structures, you need to know how to cut roller blinds in width yourself.
Anyone can do this in the presence of an ordinary tool, which is at hand for every housewife. In order to get started, you first need to measure the size of the window. To do this, follow these steps:
- Hang the fabric on the cornice above the window.
- Spread out the curtain material, let it hang a little, take the final shape.
- Make accurate measurements and write down the information received.
The length can be reduced in size in a matter of minutes. To do this, simply make a double or triple hem and hide up to 20-30 cm of rolled fabric in this way.
Step by step guide
Use soap and a tape measure to mark the curtain fabric accordingly. Before you cut the roller blinds shaft and bring it to the required length, you need to measure the width of the window, stepping back 2-3 cm from the length of the bracket.
Then you need to install the plugs and cut off the excess part of the rail, which in the end should be equal to the length of the shaft.
The curtains are also marked with soap and a measuring tape. With a sharp clerical knife or ordinary household scissors, the curtain fabric is cut to the width of the bottom of the rail.
Then the material is attached to the shaft. To do this, it must be tightly wound, having previously glued a protective tape with a self-adhesive base. The canvas must be wound carefully and adhere to a strictly horizontal position in relation to the shaft. Avoid the slightest distortions, as in this case all the work will be done in vain.
Fold 5 cm of the blade so that a fold is formed where the shaft with the glued tape will be installed. Do not indent too much, as in this case the shaft will slip and will not be able to firmly lock in the desired position.
Then you need to roll it along the top of the curtain and roll it 3/4 of the length. Install the bottom rail into the hole on the shade. Insert the bracket into the very end of the control mechanism, then insert the other end in the same way. Upon completion of the work, all the parts that secure the system must be assembled, and the roller blind, shortened in width, must be hung in the place designated for it.
As you can see, it will not be difficult to cut the roller blinds to the width yourself. Here the main thing is care and diligence, as well as an hour of free time and the availability of the necessary working tools at hand.
How to shorten curtains without trimming: 3 techniques
Trimming or turning curtains may be required if you want to change the interior, remove the edge of the fabric that has lost its proper appearance during operation, and more. There are many options to carry out this process, but it all depends solely on: personal preferences, the availability of inventory at hand, free time, the type of material and what kind of edge you need to make, for example, curly or even.
Methods: how to shorten tulle without trimming
How to shorten the curtains correctly without cutting the edge?
This may be required:
- To preserve the integrity of the canvas;
- To avoid crumbling the edge;
- If in the future it is planned to dissolve the material or move it to a new place.
To shorten long curtains, you need to place them in the usual place where they will be used. Then you need to turn the material to the desired length and sew along the edge with loose stitches, while not fixing the end of the seam located at the bottom. The bottom corner should be slightly rounded.
All this is done along the edges of the fabric and in the middle. The middle seam should be 20 cm longer than the side seam. Once all the seams are ready, you need to pull each of them by the threads located at the top, which will allow you to make original folds. Both manual sewing and machine sewing are perfect for this procedure.
Methods: how to trim filament curtains
No less popular, in contrast to conventional curtains, roller and thread. The second type has recently become very popular due to the type of product. The curtains themselves look very original, they are sold in a large assortment and, most importantly, there is an opportunity to use them for absolutely any room. To trim the muslin or, in other words, curtains in which threads are present in large quantities, you do not need to go to an expensive atelier, since there are more affordable and cheaper ways to shorten.
- Performing an undercut in a horizontal view is categorically undesirable, since the threads will get confused, and the undercut will not turn out even at all, which will significantly spoil the look of the curtains.
- The curtains are hung at their location after purchase and washing for 3 days, which is enough to straighten them. This way they will all be vertical and parallel to each other.
- As soon as the flatness of the canvas is checked, you can make an undercut, for which the most ordinary fabric scissors are suitable.
- If the curtains are made of high-quality material, then additional processing is not required.
- Scissors should be sharpened so as not to jam the threads.
There is a simpler and more creative option and this is tying knots on the threads. Thus, they will not get confused and remain in perfect condition for a long time.
How to cut the tulle straight
Cutting the tulle exactly is not as easy as it might seem at first glance, since various defects may occur during the cutting process, which directly depends on the quality of the material. For example, there may be the following nuances: arrows, both vertical and horizontal, the fabric may begin to crumble, and an illiterately cut fabric will have an uneven edge.
There are several techniques you can use to trim the tulle to width:
- With an oblique inlay.
It is important to remember that tulle is a fabric with the maximum subtlety and fragility, and therefore it is categorically undesirable to carry out a zigzag stitch and overlock, which will simply ruin it. It is worth noting that the most optimal option for hemming tulle is a seam hem, which is suitable for such a fabric.
Depending on the type of fabric, the width of the hem is chosen: if it is a tulle mesh, then the fold will be only 1 cm, nylon and organza are folded up by 3 cm.
Bias binding is considered to be an excellent choice for creating original material side appearances, especially when contrast is required. With regards to the color of the bias inlay, it is quite possible to choose a shade in accordance with the tone of the fabric or in contrast to it. It is best that the tone of the bias inlay is combined with at least one of the tones present in the interior. It is not at all difficult to cope with a bias inlay, since it was created specifically for sewing tulle mesh or embroidered material with your own hands. With its help, folds are formed and create an elegant drapery.
How To: Shorten LEVOLOR roller shade
For sewing the Moscow seam, you can use a regular sewing foot. In other words, it is required to make the smallest possible hem and stitch it along the edge. The peculiarity of the method is that it does not take too much time and special preparation, only a sewing machine is needed.
Ideas: how to shorten curly curtains
Different housewives have different tricks on how to trim or hem the curtains, and the choice of method depends on: the width and length of the canvas, the type of material and the experience of the needlewoman. It is worth noting that the cut of curtains must not always be even, since curly edges have become very popular lately. You shouldn’t think at all that only a professional seamstress can make such a decorative undercut, since it is available even to not too experienced needlewomen, subject to the recommendations from specialists of the highest category.
- You need to hang curtains in their place of permanent residence for several days, and preferably after washing. To hang curtains, you can use a braid, a border or a special tape that is sewn to the top edge.
- After a few days, the material will straighten under its own weight and will be perfectly even.
- Next, using thick paper and scissors, stencils should be made. A cardboard box is suitable for this. The choice of a mowing line depends solely on personal preference or design idea.
- The stencil is applied to the curtains, for which it is better to use additional help.
- Excess length is neatly trimmed.
What to do with the cut edge and how exactly to process it so that it does not crumble? There are several methods by which serious consequences can be avoided. Previously, to fix the edge of materials such as tulle and organza, they used a lighter, or a candle, with which the edge was singed.
It is advisable to first test the method on a piece of fabric in order to avoid inflammation and damage to the canvas.
An acceptable and safer option is to tint the edge of the canvas with nail polish without color. It will not allow the fabric to unravel, and will also remain even after washing the material. Tucking and sewing the edge or sewing on a bias tape is considered the best option. So the canvas will be beautiful and retain its aesthetics. Depending on the type of canvas, you need to select and cut methods.
How to cut roller blinds to width
All methods of undercutting and shortening are simple and do not require additional investments. This simplifies the process of home furnishing with original interior details.
Vertical structures contain the following set of parts and elements:
- chains for lamellae and control cord, lower lamella connection;
- weights or weighting materials, with the help of which the web of the vertical bar is stretched;
- sliders, to which individual canvases of the structure are fixed;
- decorative and bearing cornice.
You will need the following set of tools to shorten the height of vertical curtains:
- painting knife or scissors;
- tape measure or ruler, simple pencil;
- iron for cauterization of the lower cut off part of the product;
- a lighter or matches to form a tight end of the cut cord;
- screwdriver with a Phillips bit;
- fine-toothed saw or hacksaw for working with metal.
Vertical blinds can be shortened in both directions: in width or in height. In the first case, you will need to trim the cornice to the required size, and in the second. each individual canvas, therefore the process is more time consuming than when working in horizontal counterparts.
Instructions for shortening vertical curtains:
- The dimensions of the window opening are removed, including the level of fastening of the cornice, taking into account the method of its installation. If the curtains must be up to the floor, then 2 cm must be excluded from the measurements, which must be left from the floor to the curtains.
- In the case of removing the length of the canvases, shortening the eaves is not required. Since the lower part of the lamellas has a more complex design, including s for weights, overlays for connecting with plastic chains, therefore, they are cut to the desired height from the upper part.
- Leaving a small margin for the cuffs, each lamella is cut to the desired length. Remove the plastic tab from the cut area. To preserve the integrity of the canvas, process the edges with a lighter or a hot iron through a newspaper so that the material does not stick to the sole of the appliance.
- To thread the bent fabric under the lapel, you need to make a hole in the central part of the canvas, into which you drive the eyelet. For gluing the edges of the strip, strong fixation adhesives of the “Moment” type are used.
The described steps are for one lamella. It is necessary to shorten each element of the blind structure by the same length.
To reduce vertical curtains in width, the greatest difficulty will arise with the cornice. For this you need:
- The aluminum cord and rod are removed from the inside of the cornice. The stem washer must be intact, so the cut on this element is made 2-3 cm further. In order not to accidentally cut the cord, you should not completely cut it.
- The rod is removed from the cornice, after processing with a file, the separated edge is pushed through the washer.
- At the desired point, the curtain itself is cut off according to preliminary measurements with the rod already installed back.
- So that the trimmed parts of the structure do not damage other elements, they must be cleaned with a file. Extra hooks are removed from the cornice. Since these parts are pierced with a control cord, you need to cut it with pliers.
- The washer on the end of the curtain is placed figuratively on the structure, followed by shortening the lace. It is necessary to unscrew the cap fixing it with a screwdriver, cut the rope with scissors to the required length, assemble the eaves structure in the reverse order.
Installation of roller blinds
Perhaps there is no more universal way to design window openings than roller blinds. They decorate the windows of apartments and houses, the austere openings of modern business centers and solid office buildings. The way of installing them adds sympathy to this type of curtains. They are installed quickly and do not require any special skills. However, no matter how simple the installation of roller blinds is, it must be performed accurately and taking into account the peculiarities of the fastening systems.
Installation of roller blinds with a change in their width
Often you have to deal with a situation where the width of the purchased ready-made roller blinds is greater than the width of the opening or sash. What to do in this case?
- You can change the width of the roller blind with your own hands, without the help of specialists.
- It is necessary to bring the curtain to the unfolded state, then remove the plugs from the shaft.
- Release the lower edge of the curtain from the weighting material by taking it out of the lower .
- Mark the curtain with a pencil and ruler. Do not forget to check the accuracy of the marks several times before using scissors or a utility knife to cut the fabric along the intended lines.
- The upper pipe must also be cut to the width of the opening. Please note. it should be 7-8 mm longer than the fabric. Use a metal hacksaw to keep the cut straight. If jags appear on it, file the edge with a file or emery paper.
- The lower weight bar will also have to be cut, but it should be 1-1.5 cm shorter than the fabric.
- Now insert the plugs into the shaft and the weight bar into the bottom edge of the fabric.
- Thread the fabric tightly onto the shaft using a chain. It is not necessary to wind the fabric to the end. leave 4-5 cm hanging from the edge. Now the curtains are ready for installation, which must be carried out according to the standard algorithm.
How to reduce the width of horizontal curtains?
As you can see, it is easiest to remove unnecessary strips, but how to shorten horizontal blinds in width? For these jobs, prepare a pencil, measuring tool, sandpaper, hacksaw or electric jigsaw.
Start work with careful measurements of the opening. If the curtain is hanging from the window, use a pencil to mark the appropriate marks on each slat. Mark the point from which you need to cut the strip. The width of the web should be reduced not from one, but from both sides at once.
Now remove the product from the window and place it on the floor. The blinds are repaired after all strips have been removed. Place the panels in one stack and fasten them securely. For this purpose, it is better to use a clamp, but you can do with ordinary scotch tape.
Now cut along the marked stripes. Cut the slats on one side and the other. This will give you smooth but rough edges. Sand the ends of each panel with sandpaper. Now slide the strips over the cord and clip it under the last panel.
When shortening the blinds, you need to follow the rules:
- Perform all actions very carefully, since most of the elements are very fragile, they can be damaged.
- Make sure that the horizontal slats do not bend, since it is very difficult to straighten them, and the wooden planks will need to be completely replaced.
- Burn all ends of the cut fabric or cord with a flame or a hot iron, in the second case, use a newspaper so that the melted synthetic materials do not stick to hot metal.
- It is necessary to assemble / disassemble the structure in a certain order so as not to damage or confuse the elements.
- Use the right tool for the specific material.
If you adhere to all the rules set out above, then you can efficiently shorten both vertical and horizontal curtains.
Shortening any type of blind in height or width requires some skill. But it is easy to complete all the actions if you follow the instructions given. It is important not to use force, since the components of the structure of such curtains are very fragile and can break.
Is it possible?
If the blinds are made of metal or wooden slats, then working with them is more difficult than with fabric or paper counterparts. Then the use of a more complex tool and material handling skills will be required.
Most often, a change in the length of the curtains is required, since factory products are not always sold, the dimensions of which correspond to real windows after repair in an apartment or house (read about the rules for choosing and installing blinds on plastic windows here).
General rules for installing roller blinds
For any system of fastening roller blinds, there is a single algorithm for their fastening. In order to install roller blinds, you need to perform the following sequence of actions.
- First of all, you need to mark the attachment points for the brackets. It is not so important which control system you choose. open or closed. Both of them are mounted on brackets of different lengths. In order for the roller blind to be controlled evenly, it is very important to keep it horizontal. Therefore, for marking, you can use the level, if any.
- After you have made the necessary marks, attach a cassette or curtain to them. Better to check again if you calculated everything correctly.
- Do you like everything? Then you can attach the brackets. If the curtain is installed over an opening, on the ceiling of a room or opening, you will have to use special wall anchors. Drill holes with a drill or hammer drill, insert anchors and then reinforce the brackets.
- Attach the curtain rod to the bracket slots.
- Unfold the curtain using the chain. Be careful. the curtain should not fully unfold, at least one turn of the fabric should remain on the shaft. Lock the padlock onto the top of the control chain. He will not let the curtain unfold to the end from the shaft.