How to make a barrel from wood: the technology of making and its secrets
Abundance of everything and everywhere has long been a reality rather than a pipe dream, so you can find everything you want in the stores. Or almost everything: for example, wooden barrels can be purchased, but to find a quality product, you need to try very hard. Another “hitch” is often the wrong wood, if a large “crock” is needed for a particular, specific purpose. For these reasons, owners have to think about the independent production of containers for wine, honey or pickles. Therefore, the question of how to make a barrel out of wood, can be useful. Who? Those who want to get in their possession an indispensable design, but do not trust the manufacturers, or do not want to overpay for it.
It is clear that before you make a barrel out of wood, you need to find the most suitable material. In our, not building, case the range is not too wide, but there is a choice. To find out which species would be ideal-optimal, you have to get to know all the advantages (or disadvantages) of the candidates. Bondarians-professionals “respect” several trees.
No one would think to dispute the fact that an oak barrel is a classic. This wood is as strong as possible, is characterized by flexibility. In addition, it has tannins, which are antiseptics. The moisture, with which the surface of the oak vessel is in contact, only makes it stronger.
For these reasons, the product has an incredibly long service life: it is not tens, but hundreds of years. The main specialization of such barrels is storage of spirits, the quality and price of which depends on how long they “hid” in oak. In prolonged interaction with wood they acquire a special flavor. However, oak may just as well be used for sauerkraut or pickling mushrooms. The exception. honey, which in such storage darkens and acquires a foreign smell.
This is the second representative, which is rightfully considered a favorite of cooperators. To a greater extent, this applies to those areas that are the habitat of this tree species. Cedar dishes do not smell like resin, so it is used even for storing dairy products. However, its main vocation is to serve people as a mini-sauna.
We can say that linden is a tree that is beloved by everyone. It is the material of choice for the decoration of baths and saunas, as it is malleable, but durable and resists humidity. The linden tree does not shrink and is also antiseptic. Such barrels are considered the best containers for storing pickles, honey, caviar.
This is another worthy and versatile candidate. The material is reasonably priced, durable, able to withstand moisture. Its antiseptic properties have been known since ancient times. A minus of wood (its swelling) in this case becomes a plus. Such barrels are ideal for pickling vegetables.
These contenders can be classified in the “camp” of outsiders. Yes, such wood is easy to work with, but its durability leaves much to be desired. Another huge drawback is the noticeable tar smell. For these reasons, these types of wood for the manufacture of “food” barrels are used less often. An example. pickling mushrooms.
Preparing for barrel work
Before studying how to make a barrel from wood, you need to solve other problems. The first. familiarity with the elements of the future product and determining its shape, the second. the purchase of material and the search for all the tools.
Any barrel has a bottom and a lid, rivets (they are called frets), and hoops for fixing the product. There is no problem with the “identification” of the first elements, but in containers for alcoholic beverages they are called the same way. bottoms (bottoms).
Rivets are the planks that make up the wooden crockery. For ordinary barrels, which have to be bent, the elements have a rather complex shape: in the middle part, they are not only wider, but also thinner than at the ends. This feature makes it possible to simplify the assembly of the frame of wooden crockery, whose walls have to be bent.
Hoops. metal rims that tighten the rivets. Their purpose is to prevent potential leaks during the use of the food storage. Stainless steel is the ideal material for making your own barrel hoops. Such a product will be the strongest, most durable.
What shape can be given to the barrel?
In this case the beauty is not the only important criterion, as in any crockery the main thing is its convenience, functionality. The future cooperator will have to make a choice of three options.
- The usual, standard “pudgy” product. The process of its manufacture is quite complicated, but this is the form that is considered the best, most practical. That’s why it is more popular, in demand.
- Cylindrical barrel is the second difficult variant, as a craftsman has to strictly observe the diameter when joining the rivets. Another big disadvantage is the loosening of the hoops when the fret dies.
- Tapered construction. caddy. This is the simplest form. If this contender is chosen, then the maker does not have any special difficulties.
Once the preferred option has been chosen, proceed to the assembly of all the necessary. However, for a beginner cooperator, the best way to learn the peculiarities of the craft is still to create a barrel caddy. After it is successfully made, you can “take a swing” at more complex products.
Wood and stainless steel are what needs to be purchased first. Boards or solid wood will be needed for the bottom. Then you will have to search with the “stash” or buy tools for cooperage crafts. The list includes:
- axe and planers: a long and circular planer-horbache;
- A pipe tongs (scrapers). for deburring the rivets inside the barrel;
- framing machine-turner (pole gate) or chain tie;
- strain for the hoop, the bollard (wood, metal or a combination);
- clamps (wooden, metal) for barrel assembling;
- gadilo. a tool for planing the edges of rivets;
- a retractor to cut grooves for the bottom;
- cooperage bracket.
The ideal for the work would be a cooperage bench. a special workbench equipped with a vice. Before working, you must find a blueprint of the structure and prepare templates for rivets.
Why you need to use a crane
If it is mounted in a plastic barrel, to use the water poured into it, there is no need to turn the heavy and voluminous container. The important thing is that there is no splashing when using a crane. Most often such an improvement is applied to plastic or metal barrels.
When using a metal barrel, you will have to deal with a heavier object. Installing a faucet in this case will make it much more convenient to use. For a secure fit, it is necessary to carry out the work taking into account the peculiarities of the material.
Faucet installation is an uncomplicated procedure, sufficient to be performed even by an inexperienced craftsman. However, after completing the installation, the owner will be able to work more comfortably with the container in the future.
In this video you can see in detail the process of tapping into a plastic container:
- First it is necessary to choose a place where the tap will be located. It must be marked.
- The hole must be cut with a knife or other similar tool. If the casing is thin, sometimes scissors are used.
- Prepared in advance mortise valve should have a metal washer, as well as a reliable rubber gasket, which will be needed to ensure sealing.
- A layer of sealant must be applied to the parts before cutting in.
- Part of the tap, which has a thread, is placed in a cutout hole, the gasket is placed on the back side, then screw the washer.
- The tap is then ready for use.
This method is suitable in situations where the container has a wide neck. Otherwise, making a mortise valve for a plastic barrel, it will be difficult to put a washer on the inside of the valve and screw the gasket. In this situation a flange connection is used. The following steps are required for installation:
- The hole in the plastic tank is cut to match the diameter of the fitting.
- Then you need to secure the fitting with a metal wire. It is required to do this in order to push it inside. To do this, use the neck. It is inserted into the hole, and the fastener is removed.
- Before fixing the nozzle in the prepared hole, it is necessary to lubricate the place where the faucet will stand, sealant or place here a gasket of rubber.
- You put the socket with the thread outward and screw the lock nut on it.
- Then the valve and the shutoff valve are screwed onto the socket. At this point, cutting the faucet into a plastic barrel will be complete.
Now the container with a faucet will be more convenient to use. Knowing how to install a faucet in a plastic barrel, the master will ensure a secure connection.
How to fix the hole
Despite the considerable service life, metal barrels are not eternal. They can have cracks and holes. If there are no other flaws besides the holes, they should be sealed and the container can be used again.
Before repairing it is important to prepare the container itself. It needs to be cleaned and washed, dried. If necessary, you should get rid of the rust near the hole, otherwise there may be problems with adhesion and tightness.
Choosing what to seal a hole in an iron barrel for water without welding, usually choose glue or resin. If the bottom is leaking, and the tank will stand in one place, you can make a clay “bowl”.
When choosing a repair option, it is also worth considering the place where the crack appeared:
- On the wall. From the outside, seal the crack with pre-melted resin or water-resistant glue. On top of the place is covered with a thick glass fleece or a piece of rubberized fabric, and covered with glue or resin again. To prevent the crack from leaking, the inside is cleaned of rust and also smeared with glue.
- At the bottom. If the barrel will stand in place, you can make a clay “bowl”, which will cover the hole in the bottom. Excavate a shallow hole: its diameter should be slightly larger than the diameter of the container. Then dilute the clay, fill the hole three quarters of the way, and put the barrel to go deep into the hole. To make the latter go down, a few heavy stones are placed in it. Clay should envelop the bottom, after drying its layer will not allow water to seep.
Both options will allow the pail to last for several years.
A small hole
If there is a hole in the barrel, it can also be sealed. There are several ways that will allow you to quickly and qualitatively carry out the repair.
Choose what to seal the hole in the iron barrel for water, you can from different options:
- Use a bolt. You need to pick a bolt of the same diameter as the hole itself, put it through the hole and secure it with a nut. On both sides it is necessary to put a rubber gasket to prevent leaks.
If the hole is large, a washer can be cut from sheet iron, and raw rubber can be used instead of a gasket. Work with the latter in the warmth. move the barrel indoors or warm up the rubber before using.
- Glue with rubber. This method is similar to taping a car tire. You must cut a piece of rubber (you can use an old bicycle tire) slightly larger than the hole itself. It is put on the hole and glued with glue, for example, “Moment”. Apply some garden varnish on the inside of the container.
- Apply cold welding. On a clean surface, from the inside and outside apply the compound, leave to dry. Cold weld putty can be used to seal any hole. It “clings” well to any materials and does not let water through.
Deciding how to patch a hole in an iron barrel for water, it is important to remember that you can not use an electric or gas welding. Barrels are made of too thin metal, it will burn through.
In addition to the above repair options, you can use other means. There is one simple and easy way to patch a hole in an iron barrel without welding. For this purpose, use a cellophane bag.
A strong and sufficiently large cellophane bag is placed in the barrel and fastened around the edges. If you don’t have a pre-made bag, it’s easy to make one. This will require:
- Take a sturdy cellophane bag folded into a tube. Cut a piece, the length of which will be slightly longer than the height of the barrel. the “extra” length will go on the bottom and the bend at the top.
- Bend one end, put newspaper on both sides and run a few times with a heated iron. Cellophane should heat, melt and glue. so you get a ready-made bag. It is important to make sure that no holes are left through which water can leak out.
How to close the hole
Despite the considerable service life, metal drums do not last forever. They can develop cracks and holes. If there are no flaws except for the holes, it is worth sealing them up and using the container further.
Before repairing it is important to prepare the container itself. It should be cleaned and washed and dried. If necessary, you should get rid of the rust near the hole, otherwise there may be problems with adhesion and tightness.
Old barrels Source yandex.net
See also: Directory of companies that specialize in paints and related work
Choosing what to seal a hole in an iron barrel for water without welding, usually choose glue or resin. If the bottom is cracked, and the container will stand in one place, you can make a clay “bowl”.
When choosing a repair option, it is also worth taking into account the place where the crack appeared:
- On the wall. From the outside, the crack is sealed with previously melted resin or waterproof glue. On top of the place is covered with a thick glass fleece or a piece of rubberized fabric, and covered with glue or resin again. To prevent the crack from leaking, clean the rust from the inside and also smear with glue.
- At the bottom. If the barrel will stand in place, you can make a clay “bowl”, which will cover the hole in the bottom. Dig a shallow hole: its diameter should be slightly larger than the diameter of the container. Then dilute the clay, fill the pit to 3/4 and put the barrel, so it will go deep. To make the latter sink, in it put a few heavy stones. Clay should envelop the bottom, after drying its layer will not allow water to seep.
Both options will allow the tank to last for several years.
A small hole
If there is a hole in the barrel, it can also be patched. There are a few ways to quickly and efficiently make repairs.
Trash Incinerator Barrel Source 24.kg
After that the barrel is disassembled, but not completely, but only from one end. Cleaning can be done without removing the two bottoms. Place the barrel upright. If there are more than four hoops, both the fart and neck bottom hoops must be knocked down. But if there are four hoops, only the fart one is knocked down. After all this is done, the barrel is turned over and the head hoop is knocked off.
Be careful. if the keg has not been fired very well, the rivets may be energized. As a result, the hoop may go off. To avoid injury, keep it covered with a thick blanket.
To smoke fish, meat or vegetables in a barrel smoker
The process of smoking itself is not complicated. even a child can cope with the laying of chips and products, a little more complicated are the cases with breeding and supporting the fire at the right level.
Preparing the smokehouse, ingredients
For putting sawdust/chips in the vertical smokehouse there must be a separate door at the bottom, in horizontal constructions this is done through the upper lid. Then place the fire box underneath, and after that you can put the food on the grate or hang it on the hooks. In any case, it is desirable that the portions do not touch each other.
Then the smoker is closed with the lid and the only thing left is to light the wood. When the bottom of the barrel is red-hot, the wood chips start to smolder, producing smoke. The temperature of the metal will not be so high that the sawdust will catch fire, but it is important that the required temperature is maintained at the top of the smokehouse.
What is the best way to use wood chips
Here the recommendations are known. the best flavor has alder and fruit trees. It is not recommended to use resin-containing softwood chips. They give the ready dish a bitter aftertaste and a peculiar smell.
To improve the flavor, sprigs of juniper or oak are added to the wood chips.
Using the recommendations given here, to make a quality smokehouse with your own hands will not be very difficult. And even if you buy all the necessary materials, including the barrel, the cost of such a device will not be commensurate with the price of the factory-made product.
Preparing for “barrel” work
Before exploring how to make a barrel out of wood, we need to solve other problems. The first task is to become familiar with the elements of the future product and determine its shape; the second task is to buy the material and look for all the tools.
Any barrel has a bottom and a lid, rivets (they are called frets), and hoops for fixing the product. With the “identification” of the first elements there is no problem, but in the containers for spirits they are called the same way. the bottoms (bottoms).
Rivets are the planks that make up the wooden crockery. For conventional barrels, which have to be bent, the elements have a rather complex shape: in the middle part, they are not only wider, but also thinner than at the ends. This feature makes it possible to simplify the assembly of the frame of a wooden crockery, whose walls have to be bent.
The hoops are metal rims that tighten the rivets. Their purpose is to prevent potential leaks during the use of the food storage unit. Stainless steel is the ideal material for making your own barrel hoops. Such a product will be maximally strong, durable.
What shape can be given to the barrel?
In this case the beauty is not the only important criterion, as in any dish the main thing is its convenience, functionality. The would-be cooperator will have to make a choice of three options.
- Regular, standard “hollow” product. The process of making it is quite complicated, but this form is considered the best, most practical. That is why it is more popular and demanded.
- Cylindrical barrel is the second difficult option, as the craftsman has to strictly maintain the diameter while joining the rivets. Another big disadvantage is the loosening of the hoops as the fins dry out.
- Cone design. caddy. This is the simplest form. If this contender is chosen, then the maker will not have any special difficulties.
Once the preferred option has been chosen, proceed to assemble all the necessary. However, for a newcomer cooperator, the best way to learn the peculiarities of the craft is still to create a barrel-rod. After it has been successfully made, it will be possible to take on more complicated pieces.
Wood and stainless steel are the first things to be purchased. Boards or solid wood will be needed for the bottom. Then you will have to search with “backyards” or buy tools for cooperage craft. The list includes:
- an axe and a cleaver: a long one and a circular planer-horbeater;
- Whittles (scrapers) for deburring the rivets inside the barrel;
- frame gate machine (pole gate) or chain tie;
- A hoop strainer, a stave (wood, metal, or a combination);
- clamps (wooden or metal) to assemble the barrel;
- a gouge, a tool for planing the edges of rivets;
- a mortiser to cut grooves for the bottom;
The ideal for the work would be a cooperage bench. a special workbench equipped with a vice. Before working, you need to find a blueprint of the design and prepare templates for rivets.
How to make a barrel out of wood?
Making any variety of this wooden utensil involves several steps. This:
Properly dried wood is one of the secrets of quality, almost eternal products. If we talk about tradition, before making barrels the rivets were kept in the open air for at least 3 years. During this time, the rain completely washed out the glucose, as well as polysaccharides, hard tannins. Nowadays, bocher wood is prepared in kilns and dryers. The natural outdoor drying process itself takes 3-12 months.
Logs are no longer split lengthways along the grain. manual labor has been replaced by mechanical splitting devices. The advantage of cleaving is that there is no damage to the cell structure of the wood. Trunks are no longer split into 4 parts: boards-lagi are sawn from a single log. The advantages of this process are obvious: less waste and a much higher yield.
This operation can be done in two ways.
- Radial. In this case the split is exactly in the center. This method is considered the simplest.
- Tangential. This method ensures that the splintering does not strike the very core. The method is not advised to use on deciduous trees.
Splinting is virtually independent of the species, but it is the size of the tree that matters.
How a log is split?
For large logs use the two-row method, for thin logs use only the one-row method. The operation takes place in several steps.
- The log is split in half so that the line for the trimmer passes exactly in the center of the workpiece.
- Then each board is split in two, and then split again to obtain 8 identical parts.
- Thick logs are first split lengthwise into two equal parts, then crosswise, in a radial direction. One or two planks are made of the part near the core, 3-5. from the outer logs.
- The parts of the future barrel are processed: the wedge-shaped protrusions are removed, the young wood on the outer side is removed. The ready pieces are left to dry naturally (3 months), or an accelerated process, using equipment. To ensure unhindered access of air during drying, the wood is arranged in small pyramids.
The master may have a question how to count the number of rivets. If he has already decided on the dimensions, the first thing to do is to determine the diameter of the barrel at its widest point. This value is multiplied by the number (3.14). To find out the number of rivets, it is easier to draw a segment of length on paper (equal to the result of multiplication), and then experimentally, applying LADA-components, find out their exact number.
Those who are going to assemble a barrel for the storage of alcoholic beverages, it does not hurt to learn that the sawing of wood for such storage should be either radial or semi-radial. In this case, the master will be able to avoid two problems. leakage of the barrel and “escape” of a large amount of alcohol during aging.
Finishing of rivets
To further work proceed when the workpieces are completely dry. To create the fret use templates, which are made by yourself.
- The workpiece is marked, then beveled, the outer surfaces rounded with an axe. Work them with a planer or straight chisel.
- The inner surface is treated with a staple. The edges are finished with a ladle (chamfered with an axe).
Using a jointer, all surfaces are aligned.
The rim is the second mandatory element of a wooden barrel. As has already been said, in self-made, the best material is stainless steel. Any large “pudgy” construction has several of these “belts”.
- Puk hoops (from the word “puk”, denoting the widest part of the barrel). They are located closer to the center of the vessel.
- Rim. They are located near the bottoms, at the edges of the products.
- Neck. In larger models, they girdle the spaces between the previous two elements.
The size of the rim depends on the volume of the wooden crockery. The recommended width of the hoops and their thickness is as follows:
The length of the steel parts are calculated independently: first measure the barrel where the rim will be located, then add to the value double the width of the strip. Using a hammer, bend the blank with an overlap ring. Drilled or punched a couple of holes, their diameter. 4-5 mm.
Rivets are inserted into them, on the inside the edge is flared with a hammer. Two hoops will be enough for small structures. Their massive “colleagues” will require six or even more.
Assembling a barrel made of wood
Assemble the vessel on any flat surface.
- First take the smallest hoop, to which, using special metal staples (or clamps) attach a trio of first fret. After obtaining the improvised tripod, set the “unfinished” barrel upright.
- Now they insert the missing rivets one by one between the parts, filling all the empty space with them.
- Armed with a hammer and a rammer, the rim is carefully set so that it will fix all the elements as tightly as possible.
- Put the bottom hoop on, then put it on in the same way. At the ends, a trimmer line is drawn with a ruler, then sawed along it.
The iron barrel
Before you start, you need to get the barrel in a proper state of repair. If your barrel has been used to store fuel and lubricants, then there are several ways to clean the inside from them.
Water and DetergentPour hot water into the barrel, add detergent and let stand for a while. Repeat the procedure if necessary.
On sale you can find special mixtures designed for cleaning of tanks from oil residues, such as SOFEX-TMS-2001.
The new life of two-hundred-liter metal barrels
As you can see, metal barrel handicrafts are useful, very versatile, and can be used literally in any household.
Nikolai Laduba loves to be active, hiking. He’s a big fan of sci-fi. Nikolai’s son is only 7 years old, but he shares his father’s hobbies: what could be better than cozying up and watching “Star Trek” with the whole family? Our author takes a thorough approach to all questions, this is evidenced by the quality of his articles. Nicholas’s favorite book. “The Black Prince” by Iris Murdoch.
Unusual use of metal barrels in the country house: ideas, photos, brief description
In this article we will consider the most original and practical ideas for using old metal barrels on the garden plot and not only.
Metal barrels in one quantity or another are sure to be available in almost any garden or garden plot. As a rule, they serve to collect rainwater or spare water. Of course, one does not want to throw away such a metal construction, but they can be used for more than just this.
From metal barrels you can make a real design decoration of the dacha plot, which will simultaneously bring benefits and zest. So we want to share a lot of ideas that will help make from an ordinary metal barrel a real work of art, which will not only be beautiful but also useful.
Unusual use of metal barrels at the cottage, in the garden or vegetable garden: ideas, photos
The easiest thing you can make out of a metal barrel to be useful is a container for compost. Barrels that no longer have a bottom are ideal for this, as it is well known that containers for composting must have free access to the soil. Another option for using old metal barrels on the site can be to decorate them as a container for burning waste. Thus, you will protect yourself and your property from fire. By the way, the bottom is a great way to put out a fire, because it cuts off the oxygen.
Barrels can be used not only for burning garbage or storing water
But we want to offer ideas that will not only be useful, but also pleasing to the eye.
Important: To paint a metal barrel, it must be properly prepared. To properly and beautifully paint the surface of the barrel and its long-term preservation, you must first remove the rust (if any) and old paint from its surface. After that, the barrel must be carefully washed and dried, and then degrease the surface with special chemicals (any solvent will do well). These manipulations will help to apply an even and beautiful layer of new paint, as well as improve its adherence to the surface and extend its life.
- If you grow vegetables on your plot, metal barrels can come in handy for creating convenient and beautiful portable “beds”. This way you can grow cucumbers, zucchini and pumpkins. By using barrels to grow these vegetables, you not only make your plot look original, but you also save a lot of space.
- To make such portable beds, it is enough to drill holes in the bottom of the barrel, so that oxygen enters the soil, and plant vegetables in it. Depending on whether you use supports or not, vegetables can wrap around the barrel or go up. Such portable seedbeds can be painted in different colors and patterns, which will make them not only convenient, but also original.
- Similarly, the barrels can be used to make truly portable flowerbeds. Decorating them with bright colors, patterns and drawings you can get an original garden design. The barrels can be painted so that they serve as faces, and the flowers planted in them, the hair. In short, here you can use your imagination in all variations. And the more you show it, the more original and bright will be the design of your garden.
- By the way, a few words about the strawberry bed. Almost everyone likes to eat it, but it is too tiring to gather such a harvest. So. plant it vertically in a metal barrel! To do this, make staggered cuts all around the perimeter and bend a little. And after planting your crop. By the way, trimming the tendrils of strawberries is also much easier.
- Old metal barrels can replace many vital things in the garden. For example, a washbasin. To create such a unique washbasin, you only need to insert a basin into the barrel and conduct water. Of course, it would be better to paint the barrel in a bright color, which will give it a neat appearance.
- If your cottage is under construction. concrete mixer is simply indispensable thing. Having in the arsenal of an unnecessary metal barrel is absolutely no need to buy a concrete mixer. It can be made with their own hands, using the barrel as a container for cooking concrete mixture.
- Those who like to relax with family and friends on the dacha and spend time on warm days cooking kebabs and barbecues, will appreciate the idea of creating a barbecue from an old metal barrel.
- You can cut out one side of the barrel, leaving it as a lid, and put the second side on supports, which can be another cut out barrel.
- Inside, you can put a metal mesh or skewers, on which you can cook meat or vegetables. Do not forget to cut a hole on one side of the bottom or attach another door. Speaking of doors, be sure to attach a hook on the back of the top lid so it doesn’t fall on your head while cooking.
- You can also use an old barrel to create a makeshift stove on the property. For this you will need a cauldron, which will match the diameter of the barrel. The barrel will need to remove the top and bottom lid and drill holes in the belt, as well as make a door for laying firewood. Such a makeshift outdoor stove can be a great fixture for fans of cooking over a campfire. over, it is much more convenient and safer to cook food in a cauldron on such a stove than on an open fire.
- You can make interesting yard chairs, tables and stools out of an old metal barrel. To do this, you need to cut the barrel in half and put a soft seat to the diameter as a seat. You can place plastic bottles inside for its stability.
- If you plan to perform a chair, then part of the barrel is not sawed and serves as a backrest, otherwise the performance of the barrel chair is the same as the chairs. Just do not forget to secure the place of cuts. For the table just need to put a tabletop, which can be of any material.
- And now look what a stash or just a movable shelf you can create.
- Or maybe it will be a bedside table or just a table with shelves.
- Or maybe you want to make an exclusive laundry basket.
- For fans of minimalism from an old metal barrel can cut a plafond for a chandelier. If you want, you can decorate it to your liking.
- As you can see in the photo, in skillful hands from metal barrels you can cut out different patterns and get an incredibly beautiful and unusual furniture.
- Many families arrange on their garden plot a kind of children’s corner. After all, families with children often come to the cottage to stay there for more than one day, which means that children need their own space in the yard, where they could safely and securely spend time. In the decoration of such a children’s area unnecessary metal barrels can also be useful.