How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth. simple and correct ways
The aesthetic perception of the entire room directly depends on the beauty of the ceiling decoration. This is especially true of the quality of gluing the baguette: if it is not difficult to do this on straight sections of the walls, then when decorating the corner sections, you will need to know how to cut the ceiling plinths.
What tool is needed
When installing the ceiling plinth, it must be cut to size or in the corners.
The following tools will usually help you to cut the corner of the skirting board:
- Hacksaw for wood. It is used for working with wooden products.
- Hacksaw for metal. This tool is convenient for cutting plastic, foam and polymer friezes. As a result, it is possible to obtain a fairly clean joint without burrs. When working with saws, it is convenient to use a miter box.
- Stationery knife. It can be used to cut styrofoam baguettes without using special tools. The main thing is that the knife is well sharpened and has a thin and even blade. If you act carefully, the cut is smooth, without any dents.
When using the saw, it is important not to use excessive force, otherwise the skirting board will be crumpled. It is best to practice on some unnecessary piece first. This will allow you to get beautiful fragments in the future.
Other pruning methods
As a rule, in ordinary rooms, the evenness of walls and ceilings is rarely observed. With slight deviations, they can be trimmed during the fitting process. If the deviation of the angle from the standard 90 degrees is large, you need to know how to cut the ceiling plinth without a miter box.
There is only one way out in such a situation. to carry out the procedure on how to cut corners on the baseboards on the ceiling in place:
- To carry out the procedure, how to properly cut the plinth to the ceiling, you need to arm yourself with a finely sharpened pencil (with its help you can apply clear marks that are not visible from a distance), a fragment of a baguette, a ruler and a good office knife (if a plastic or wooden plinth is mounted, then a saw).
- Attaching a frieze to the corner, make a pencil mark along the outer edge. Do the same with the reverse side of the corner. As a result, the line should form a cross on the ceiling. The point of intersection of the marks will be the convergence point for the edges of the ceiling frieze. To transfer the scheme of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth at the corners, a frieze is applied and rests with the end part in the corner.
- Next, using a ruler, you need to connect the edges of the frieze and the markings. A simple operation, how to cut a plinth for a ceiling on a solid surface, will not give a positive result: there will still not be a complete connection along the cut of the corner of two separate moldings. In this case, it is necessary to carry out additional trimming in place. This option is suitable for not very wide friezes (up to 5 cm).
- To trim the corner more accurately, you need to put the plinth on the end. When cutting, the knife should move obliquely at an angle of 45 degrees (so that the edge is sharp). After that, fitting in place, if necessary, then on a very small scale.
- A similar procedure, how to properly cut the plinth on the ceiling, is carried out in relation to the second plank. It must be attached to the place of future installation, resting its butt on the adjoining side of the corner. Next, mark a point with a cross, apply a marking and cut off at the bottom. If adjustment is required, then it is carried out even before spreading with glue.
Similar actions are carried out on the outer corner. It is most convenient to first cut one corner, and adjust the second along it.
Best Acrylic sheet Joint Glue
Ways to get a beautiful angle
The most difficult area when decorating the ceiling surface with a frieze is the corner areas. If you just cut the skirting board at the right angle, ugly gaps will remain. To achieve a snug fit between two adjacent products, you must also trim their edges. There are several ways to do this.
Using decorative corners
This refers to special corner adapters, which are usually completed with polyurethane and polystyrene friezes. Decorative corners are glued to the very corner, and the baguettes are adjacent to them on both sides. Adjustment in this case is either not required at all, or is carried out with a simple clerical knife.
Varieties of ceiling plinths
The classification of the baguette is carried out according to the material of manufacture:
- Plaster. The most ancient representatives of ceiling plinths. For their casting, special matrices were used. Various solutions were used as an adhesive assembly. The name “fillets” is also used for plaster moldings. In modern construction, they are used very rarely due to the high cost and inconvenience of installation. In addition, more reliable and inexpensive simulations of plaster fillets have appeared.
- Polystyrene (polyurethane). The most common type of skirting board. Products of this type are characterized by low cost, excellent aesthetic characteristics, ease of installation and a rich assortment in terms of external design. The width of polystyrene moldings varies from 5 to 250 mm. They can be used in any type of room, complementing various interior styles.
- Wooden. Expensive and rather bulky baguettes, with the help of which wooden houses with the corresponding interior are mainly made out. To install wooden planks, in addition to glue, screws and nails are often used.
- Plastic. An excellent option for bathrooms and other rooms with high humidity. Installation is carried out on special moisture-resistant glue or secret self-tapping screws.
When installing the above products, you need to know how to cut the ceiling plinth. This does not apply to plastic products that come with special angled adapters.
How to cut a corner with a miter box
In rooms with even corners and walls, cutting the ceiling plinth using a miter box is usually not very difficult. The tool has the form of a U-shaped groove with saw guides made at an angle of 90 and 45 degrees. Having placed the element requiring cutting inside the device, insert the saw into the guides. During the cutting process, the baguette must be firmly held in place to avoid defects. Cutting off the plinth is quite difficult, since it is necessary to achieve its simultaneous adherence to two planes. If the width of the baguette is small, then it is more convenient to press it to the near side. “How to cut ceiling skirting boards. cutting tools and rules”.
How to cut off the corner of a ceiling plinth if you are making an outer corner:
- Before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth with a miter box, it is washed down at an angle of 45 degrees.
- The miter box is exposed in a comfortable position. This will make it possible to determine the exact location of the skirting board: first of all, this concerns the edge of the product that will be adjacent to the ceiling. To avoid confusion, it is best to place the right-side plank on the right and the left-side plank on the left.
- The surface is pressed against the lower surface of the miter box. In this case, the second part rises, turning out to be the closest. It must be applied to the wall of the miter box in such a way that during operation it will not wobble. With this arrangement, the front side of the product turns out to be turned in the opposite direction.
- Cutting must be done at an angle of 45 degrees from yourself. If done correctly, the two halves are folded together to create a beautiful outer corner.
After the correct sawing off of the ceiling plinth in the corners is completed, both pieces must first be applied to the ceiling “dry” in order to check the coincidence of the corner geometry. If necessary, trimming is carried out with a knife. It is easier to cover small gaps with a putty, which, after drying, must be treated with sanding paper. As for the inner corner, it is much easier to arrange it.
The procedure for how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the interior type is very similar to the one described above. The first step is to determine the side that will be adjacent to the ceiling. It is placed at the bottom of the miter box. The reverse side leans against the near wall. After sawing off the plinth on the ceiling is finished, the resulting fragments must be applied dry to the corner, checking the quality of the joint. Fitting is carried out if necessary. After that, one and the second skirting boards are installed on the assembly structure. Small gaps in the corner can be filled with a special putty.
How to cut a ceiling plinth (VIDEO PHOTO)
In modern interiors, skirting boards have become an almost indispensable element. They successfully complement the design and help hide some flaws. Fillet gluing work can be done independently. Certain difficulties often arise when it is necessary to arrange corners. We have to decide how to cut the ceiling plinth to get the exact fit of the elements.
How to properly cut the inner corner of the skirting board using wort:
- First you need to determine which side of the baguette will adjoin the ceiling and which side will adjoin the wall.
- Fix the plinth with your hand at the base of the miter box so that its position in the miter box exactly matches the future position on the ceiling,
- The hacksaw is lowered into the slot for an angle of 45º and a cut is made.
- The adjacent part is placed in the miter box in a mirrored order to the previous one.
After cutting the corner, you must immediately dock adjacent pieces of skirting boards to check if they are correctly cut at the corners. If the corner does not come out evenly, you can trim the pieces until the result is satisfactory.
The outer corner of the baguette is also cut off, only the baguette itself is located in the miter box in the opposite direction, that is, the cut is made at an obtuse angle.
It is not necessary to use a miter box for trimming skirting boards, for this there are other methods using available tools.
Ceiling plinth materials
For the beginning, we will study the materials from which our test subject is made.
To understand how and what to cut, it is advisable to know the density and other features of the material.
- Styrofoam. The cheapest and most fragile material; however, mechanical strength is not really needed for a product that adorns the ceiling.
- Extruded polystyrene foam is somewhat denser and slightly harder to process. But just a little: if necessary, it is cut with an ordinary knife.
- Wood is the most difficult material to process. To cut it, you will have to use only a hacksaw.
Tip: and better with fine and frequent teeth. This will make the cut much smoother. Metal cloth is also suitable.
A hacksaw for metal is not only suitable for wood
Corner cutting methods
At what angle should the ceiling plinth be cut? If we are trying to decorate a right angle with a ceiling plinth (in all apartment buildings and most private houses you will not find other angles). 45 degrees.
Right angle divided into two equal sectors.
How to cut a ceiling plinth at an angle?
How to cut corners on baguettes
How to cut a ceiling plinth in corners Video AURAMM.RU
In the text of the article, we will figure out how to correctly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth in the presence of a special tool. a miter box. Obviously, this is a useful device, of course, not for every individual, and buying it for the sake of a one-time repair is an incomprehensible undertaking.
If so, we will try to find out how to cut the corners of the skirting board without a miter box.
Our goal is to achieve the same flawless angles
For the beginning, we will study the materials where our experimental is made.
To understand, as well as how to cut, it is better to know the density and other features of the material.
- Styrofoam. The cheapest and weakest material; in general, mechanical strength is not very good and is needed for a product that decorates the ceiling.
- Extruded polystyrene foam is somewhat denser and slightly harder to process. Alas, specifically a bit: if desired, it can be cut with an ordinary knife.
- Wood is a heavier material to work with. To cut it, you will have to use only a hacksaw.
Tip: it is better with small and fine teeth. This will make the cut look much smoother. Metal cloth is also suitable.
A hacksaw for metal is not only suitable for wood
At what angle should the ceiling plinth be cut? For which the structure is intended, if we try to decorate a right angle with a ceiling plinth (in any apartment buildings and the bulk of private houses you will not find other angles). 45 degrees.
Right angle, divided into two similar sectors.
Cutting the ceiling plinth with a miter box
Most often, a simple carpentry tool is used for cutting at an angle. a miter box. It is a construction of an aluminum, plastic or wooden tray with grooves guiding the hacksaw blade at certain angles to the axis of this tray.
How to cut corners with this tool?
- We fix the plinth in the tray in the same position in which it will be installed on the ceiling. We align it on the side that will press against the ceiling.
- With our free hand we cut along the guide groove. For wood, as already mentioned, a hacksaw is used. A hacksaw for metal can cut both polystyrene and expanded polystyrene.
In addition, a foam or expanded polystyrene baseboard can be cut with a knife; however, it must be very sharp. Otherwise the material will crumble under the blade.
- Wooden skirting boards may need to be filed before wall-mounting. Again, a sharp knife is used to adjust skirting boards made of softer materials.
How to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners? We need a simple tool. a miter box
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners? We need a simple tool. a miter box.
Features of ceiling plinths
Ceiling skirting boards perform not a practical, but a decorative function, which consists in masking the gaps between the walls and the ceiling. However, in the case of stretch ceilings, this function is a necessity. the distance between the canvas and the walls is initially large enough, so it has to be hidden somehow.
In addition to masking capabilities, skirting boards can also be used when arranging decorative lighting. This idea is very simple to implement, and the effect is extremely pleasant. Small LED bulbs are installed under the baguette, which create soft light around the entire perimeter of the room or in a certain area, illuminating the stretch fabric. Of course, for the installation of such a structure, you need to know how to properly join the ceiling plinth.
Most often, polyurethane or polystyrene products are used for ceilings, but plaster or natural wood elements can also be found on sale. Conventional skirting boards are produced in two meters, but various deviations from this standard are possible. The surface of such products can be either smooth or with a certain volumetric texture. The color of the skirting board is usually matched to a specific interior. and the most popular option is white, which often coincides with the tone of the stretch fabric and light walls.
An important positive quality of skirting boards is the ability to combine with most materials used for finishing. Skirting boards look great with, for example, plastic panels or wallpaper. You can also connect fanciful ceiling skirting boards with stucco elements. this will complement the visual style of the room.
It is quite difficult to meet the angles of non-standard values in modern construction. they are practically not equipped. Nevertheless, such corners also occur. for example, in individual design projects there may be round areas. The connection of the ceiling and walls in such cases still needs to be masked, so you have to figure out how to dock the ceiling plinth in corners with a non-standard bend.
Usually the problem is solved by cutting the plinth into several small pieces, the size of which directly depends on the bending of the corner. It is from these pieces that the connection of the ceiling plinths in the corners of the curved shape will be carried out. After removing the excess putty after installation, you can start installing the straight parts of the skirting boards.
Skirting board technology
There are only two types of corners that require joining:
- The most common internal angles are less than 180 degrees (most often 90);
- Outside corners, more rare. angles over 180 degrees (usually 270).
There are also sometimes non-standard configurations, but they can still be considered as a certain kind of external and internal corners. Regardless of the size of the angle, the joint always consists of the right and left planks, which must be connected. The main differences are in the method of trimming the skirting boards for different angle values, so it is worth understanding these differences before connecting the skirting board in the corner.
Cutting ceiling plinths
To trim skirting boards before installation, you need to prepare the following tools:
- A stationery knife or a hacksaw for metal (the choice depends on the material for making the baseboard);
- Miter box;
- Construction knife (optional if it is necessary to cut the skirting board at non-standard angles).
For successful cutting of parts, in addition to carefully performing all the necessary operations, you also need to take into account various nuances. For example, with the usual cutting of strips, you need to cut not only the inner, but also the outer edge of the parts. If you need to equip the outer corner, then the parts, respectively, need to be cut also inside.
For slicing, it is best to take good tools that can provide high quality and accuracy of the cut. Of course, you can use a regular saw, but these tools are not very suitable for delicate work. When using low quality tools, there is always a risk of damaging the material during the cutting process, so it is better not to save money on installation.
The best cutting tool is the electric jigsaw. it provides high precision and maximum efficiency. In addition, it is very easy to work with such a tool, since it makes it possible to precisely set the direction of the cuts and make them as accurate as possible.
The miter box, despite its versatility, may not be suitable in a number of situations. In addition, this tool is rarely used in everyday life, and it is difficult to use it for its intended purpose. not in every apartment you can find even corners. In such situations, only a template made of cardboard or paper that completely repeats the shape of the corner will help.
To simplify the process of cutting hollow skirting boards, you will need to make a corner from scrap materials. It will be possible to put the skirting board to be cut in such a corner, and it will be fixed. There are no special requirements for the quality of the corner. the main thing is that it reliably holds the product throughout the entire work.
The corner is applied to the prepared template from above so that the edge of the corner coincides with the corner of the template. The skirting board is inserted into the corner and trimmed according to the template. The advantage of this method is the fact that the tool blade can only rest against the corner itself, so there are no restrictions in the work.
For cutting foam parts, an ordinary construction knife is completely suitable. The only nuance that requires attention in this case is the sharpness of the blade. If the knife is poorly sharpened, then there may be delamination and tears on the cut, which are unacceptable when it comes to a high-quality connection of skirting boards.
How to join the ceiling plinth in the corners. theory and practice
Ceiling skirting boards are decorative elements that are installed in the areas where the walls meet the ceiling. Installation of skirting boards is a specific operation that requires a competent approach, and the greatest attention should be paid to joining the corner parts. The skirting board is always cut into pieces of the required length before installation. The edges of the products are carefully cut at a certain angle so that they can be joined normally. How to join the ceiling plinth will be discussed in this article.
How to join inside corners
In the overwhelming majority of cases, it is the inner corners that have to be cut. i.e. corners of the room. The part of the skirting board, which during the cutting process adjoins the sides of the miter box, will be glued directly to the wall in the future. The other part, located at the bottom of the miter box, connects to the ceiling surface. When arranging the inner corners, the bottom of the plinth should be higher than its upper part, in contrast to the outer corners. in this case, everything will look diametrically opposite.
Before adjusting the corners of the skirting boards, you need to accurately measure the angle between the walls of the room. For right angles, planks cut at an angle of 45 degrees are used. If the corners in the room itself are uneven, then the radius of the corner must be halved. In the process of cutting, you need to ensure that the parts eventually fit together. the left plinth is cut from the right side, and the right one, respectively, from the left.
In the case of cutting for internal corners, the technology will look like this:
- Adjusting the ceiling plinths in the corners begins with their insertion into the miter box and pressing the part a little further than the slot that marks the angle of 45 degrees;
- The skirting board is cut in accordance with the side where it should be located;
- Before connecting the skirting board to the ceiling, you need to attach it to your place to check if it is suitable for installation in a certain area (small deviations can be carefully cleaned up with a construction knife).
Joining of straight sections of skirting boards
When all the questions about how to connect the ceiling plinth in the corners have been considered, it remains only to understand the technology of connecting straight sections of decorative strips. The importance of this stage of work cannot be underestimated. the slightest defects and irregularities will spoil the interior of the room.
How to Scribe, A Beginner’s Tutorial
You can start installing straight skirting boards only after all the corner elements have already been cut and installed. Before work, the products themselves should be carefully inspected, measured and modified if necessary. often the skirting boards are cut unevenly during the production process, so their edges have to be leveled.
Docking the ceiling plinth on straight sections looks like this:
- When the corner strip is assembled, you need to attach straight skirting boards to it from both sides so that they are located close to each other. In the future, this operation will be repeated with the rest of the details.
- At a certain moment, the straight bar will reach the angle opposite to that from which the installation began. Smooth skirting at this stage must be marked and cut in accordance with the mark. In order for the individual parts on straight sections to match perfectly, it is worth processing their edges with fine sandpaper.
- When joining the skirting boards, it is imperative to use the glue suitable for the specific material. The planks need to be well, but carefully pressed during installation so that the excess adhesive protrudes outward. Excess glue can be removed with a dampened cloth. you just need to try not to smear it on the wall and ceiling.
- Having installed all the parts in their places, it remains only to process all the cracks and gaps using a special sealant or putty. Ceiling skirting boards can be left as they were or they can be painted over.
The roots of the problem
Working with ceilings in itself is a laborious and painstaking process. It is important to achieve high quality performance here, since the ceilings in any room are a visiting card. ” To make the overall picture with the ceiling part look attractive and holistic, special devices are used. ceiling fillets. These can be polystyrene moldings, polyurethane cornices, wooden skirting boards or plastic profiles. In each case, different types of ceiling plinths are used that perform certain functions.
These consumables are installed at the junction of walls with ceiling surfaces. It can be an ordinary painted ceiling, a tension structure, or complex multi-level suspension systems. In any case, you cannot do without installing skirting boards. The thing is that any finishing work presupposes the emergence of technological joints of various structural elements of the building. Between walls and ceilings, it is not always possible to get a perfectly flat line of contact. In addition, it is often required to mask the technological gaps and crevices that have arisen during the installation of frame suspended structures. It is for these purposes that cornices and baguettes for ceilings are used today.
In some cases, such consumables are used for decorative purposes, while in others, on the contrary, they also have a technological function in addition to an aesthetic purpose. When laying the curtain rods on the ceiling, the question always arises of how to cover up the joints of the ceiling plinths left after installation.
Important! No matter how correctly and accurately you cut consumables into pieces, the occurrence of joints between individual fragments is inevitable. Only a perfectly flat wall and ceiling will save you from such a procedure. This can be said about those cases when the curtain rods are mounted on a plasterboard.
A number of factors should be listed here that indicate that you will have to deal with the sealing of joints on the cornices attached to the ceilings:
- geometrically uneven mowing lines docking of walls and ceiling;
- large curvature of the walls;
- the use of insufficient quality materials;
- haste in cutting individual pieces of skirting boards;
- incorrect cutting of pieces of baguette for installation in the corners;
- non-observance of the technology of laying and installation of ceiling plinths.
Here we can say that there are technological factors that can be eliminated in the process of preparing the working surface and about the human factor. Our mistakes and haste sometimes become the main reason for miscalculations and mistakes.
Despite the fact that most of the problems can be avoided at different stages of eaves installation, the joints are still closed. Thanks to this, the integrity of the entire structure is given. Smeared gaps and joints, especially at the corners, allow you to freely paint baguettes in the future, without worrying about the quality of the painted surface.
For wooden skirting boards
When working with wooden skirting boards, the seams have to be sealed more thoroughly, since the tree is much more difficult to install in the desired position. Finishing acrylic putty, gypsum-based solutions and PVA glue are also suitable for these purposes. Small joints and gaps are easily touched with mortars and then sanded to give a uniform fillet surface.
Before sealing the joints of the wooden ceiling plinth, it is necessary to carefully prepare the walls. The large curvature of the walls creates the preconditions that the gaps between the cornice and the wall can increase when the wood dries. Otherwise, you will have to use a large amount of putty to seal the gap. It does not look very aesthetically pleasing, besides, over time, the dried putty can fall out of the gap.
How to close up the joints of the ceiling plinth (6 photos)
Plinth ceiling decoration is one of the final stages of renovation work. The quality of the entire finish depends on how this work is done. Miscalculations during the installation of ceiling moldings and cornices can negate all the advantages of apartment design, especially when it comes to the ceiling. The correct selection of consumables, adherence to the fillet installation technology is only half the battle. In the process of installing ceiling finishing materials, flaws and flaws involuntarily arise, not to mention technological gaps and crevices.
Our article is about how to seal the joints between individual pieces of cornices and how to remove the gap that has arisen between our ceiling and the glued skirting board. Tips and tricks in this case will help you quickly solve the problem and complete the finishing of the upper part of the room at the proper level.
What material is better to work with when sealing joints
Before deciding what is better to seal the joints of the installed ceiling plinth, you should figure out what tools are suitable for processing certain materials.
For polystyrene and polyurethane curtain rods
For foam and polyurethane ceilings, acrylic putty is best. This material is resistant and durable. In addition, it dries quickly and is practically unaffected by moisture. Acrylic putties are very technological. In the process of sealing the seams, especially in the corners, grinding of the cornices will be required. To get a flat and smooth surface at the joint, use sandpaper of minimum grit for this purpose.
The white color of the material allows the putty to be safely used for working with baguettes that are prepared for painting.
To date, there is a huge selection of finishing building materials on sale, among which the finishing putty is presented quite widely.
Note: expanded polystyrene, polyurethane have a natural white color. The structure of the materials matches very well with acrylic fillers. Often this type of putty is used for the installation of ceiling moldings. When painting, the putty does not come through, especially when white paint is used.
It is necessary to remember this point as well. Large gaps, up to 3 mm, are recommended to be sealed with gypsum-based putty. So that the gypsum does not quickly harden, add a little PVA glue to the solution.
If we talk about how to cover up the joints of the ceiling plinths, then there is not a particularly large selection of materials. Usually, a finishing putty is used, which is already ready for use and does not require additional preparation. In some cases, you can use gypsum solutions. Cleaning the joints will allow you to achieve the surface of the cornices, suitable for subsequent painting. To consolidate information, it is pertinent to recall four important points:
Walls must be prepared for work with ceiling cornices, large curvature of surfaces eliminated
Try to accurately cut off the targeted cornice pieces, especially for corner joints