Using the “angle grinder”
The diamond disc mounted on the angle grinder allows you to quickly cut the tiles according to the markings made. With this universal tool, both straight and curved tiles can be cut. The advantage of an angle grinder over an electric tile cutter is its mobility. But it loses in quality to the cut obtained, after which the edges of the tile need additional processing (grinding).
- When working with a power tool, use protective goggles, which protect eyes from small fragments of tiles.
- The manufacturer recommends Watch the water level in the pan and responsible for cooling the cutting blade.
- Periodically, the water in the sump should be changed, as it heats up and becomes clogged with tile chips.
- Work must be carried out with goggles and a respirator.
- The space around the workplace should be free to avoid the possibility of injury from the saw blade.
- It is advisable to work with a partner who will use a vacuum cleaner to remove construction dust.
How to cut tiles with wire cutters
Nippers are indispensable when cutting holes in tiles for water pipes, platbands, hoods, firebox and other structural obstacles. Better fracture is done with a pair of pliers equipped with two carbide clamps. The upper clamp cuts through the glazed surface of the tile, while the curved lower clamp holds the tile from below. Before work, a contour is applied with a felt-tip pen, along which it is necessary to make a cut. Rather, in this case, the tool does NOT cut, but bites off the fragments of the tile until a notch of the desired size is obtained.
How to cut tiles
Manufacturers offer to use a different tool for cutting tiles, which can be selected depending on the volume and characteristics of the material chosen for the manufacture of tiles. The tile is cut:
- Roller glass cutter;
- Electric tile cutter;
- Manual tile cutter;
- Tile cutters;
- Angle grinder (“angle grinder”).
Let’s dwell in more detail on the features of the application of each of the above tools.
Manual tile cutter
The manual tile cutter allows you to take tiles with a thickness not exceeding 6 mm. It is an affordable tool that allows you to quickly cut fragments of tiles according to the measurements taken. Such a tile cutter is convenient for those amateur craftsmen who perform cladding work with their own hands. Professionals use an electric tile cutter, in which we will tell a little later.
Handle a manual tile cutter as follows:
- Marking is done on the surface of the tile with a felt-tip pen;
- The tile is laid on the base of the tool in such a way that the wheel coincides with the marking;
- The wheel is passed along the mowing line of the marking once, the glass cutter controls the handle;
- With the help of “wings” the tile is fixed on both sides of the cut for even division into two parts;
- With a light movement of the hand, they hit the handle, while getting the desired fragment for laying out the cut of the row.
How to cut tile angle grinder without chips and dust
Tiling is almost impossible without cut rows. As a rule, they are located along the edges. Very often, the need for cutting tiles appears in doorways, in places where pipes are located, and so on. Where neat styling is required. And for THESE purposes a special tool should be used. The correct choice of the device will allow you to get high-quality pieces, and therefore, to make the styling at a high level.
Instructions on how to cut
Angle Grinder. This is the popular name for the angle grinder. Not everyone knows that people have been calling this tool since the 70s. It was at this time that the first samples began to arrive in the Union. And they were called “Eltos-angle grinder”.
Generally, an angle grinder. It is a multifunctional tool. It is capable of processing materials thanks to the diamond wheel. The unit allows you to perform Not only straight, but also figured cuts.
Recommendation: It is not necessary to cut the tiles to the full thickness. If you make a line-cut, then the product will break very pliable.
Of course, when compared with the results of a tile cutter, then an angle grinder produces more scattered edges. In this case, preparatory manipulations are not necessary for the implementation of the process.
Disadvantage. Dust and chips are indispensable. The only thing is that they can be compensated with a protective casing of the tool itself, personal protective equipment, and also using a special disc. For example, a good cut quality, practically no chips can be provided by a disc designed for metal processing. This is largely possible due to the smooth surface of the reinforced shodo.
Tiles are easy to cut using wet cutting attachments. This will allow you to get the absence of chips, as well as a flat and smooth cutting surface. In this case, the nozzle must be new, and the cut itself must be made from the back of the tile.
There are many ways to cut tiles. For this, special tools are used. For example:
- Tile cutters;
- Glass cutters;
- Drills with appropriate attachments;
- Angle Grinder.
Each option has its own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages.
For example, the tile cutter is a very popular tool used for THESE purposes. It can be performed in three variations:
- Tile cutter tong.
The first option is more suitable for the conditions of mass work. This means that the volumes must be large. Such a device is capable of even the most durable materials from which tiles can be made.
In the process of cutting the material, water is supplied, which makes it possible to Get smoother edges, and not to heat the material and DO NOT spread dust. The only drawback of such a device. High price. In addition, one-time work. Not for him. Better to rent an electric tile cutter.
As a result, the hand model is a fairly popular model. But in this case, everything will have to be done by hand. An alternative is the tongs cutter. The tool is designed for thin metals. However, there is another drawback. Post-processing of the ends is required. Grinding. And this is not always good.
Glass cutter, with a drill, as well as wire cutters, you can also cut tiles. In the first case, there is a limitation in the thickness of the products. As a result, tiles may NOT be cut through. The drill together with the nippers allows you to get a good cut.
Next, consider the application of the angle grinder in more detail.
If an angle grinder is used for cutting, it is recommended to check the tool for damage and function before the procedure. You need to insert a disc to work on cement or metal. There is certainly a difference between them, but not significant.
It is necessary to inspect the tool itself, otherwise some flaws can ensure poor-quality work.
Don’t forget about personal protective equipment. This means that you should also put on a hat on your head, on your hands. Protective gloves on the body. Clothes to protect your eyes. Glasses. The latter is perhaps the most important. After all, dust, small fragments can get into the eyes when the disc rotates very quickly. This could be a dangerous injury. Therefore, in your own safety, you should think first.
Chips and dust are inevitable?
You can put it this way. Indeed, everyone can perform certain manipulations in order to reduce such negative phenomena.
Additionally, you can see photo materials about this. After all, a lot depends not only on the tool itself, attachments to it, but also on the cutting technique. This aspect also affects the presence of chips and dust.
Be that as it may, but it is important to devote enough time to this moment. And then the result will please you with the high quality of work.
Since most often you need to glue the fallen off tile in the bathroom or kitchen, additionally treat the wall with an antiseptic. Then you can start the tile restoration process.
How to glue fallen off old tiles to a wall or floor:
- Apply adhesive. In this case, it is more convenient to do it directly on the tile itself. The layer should be such that it is possible to compare the level of the surface, taking into account the additional screed.
- Press the element to the surface and tap with a mallet to distribute the adhesive.
- Clean out the excess at the seam and fix the distance at the seams.
- Wait for the lining to dry and for three seams.
Tile adhesive. Ideal for gluing tiles
Reasons for the destruction of masonry
First, you need to determine why ceramic tiles are moving away from the glue. There are many reasons for the manifestation of this defect. Let’s look at the main reasons for peeling tiles from the wall and floor:
- Emptiness. If, during the installation of the tiles or after drying, voids have formed in the structure of the adhesive layer and their area is more than 10% with local accumulation, most likely the tile will fall off.
- Violation of technology. To maximize the service life of the coating, ceramic tiles must be laid according to a special technology, its requirements relate to temperature conditions and humidity levels, rules for applying glue, setting a level, etc.
- Poor adhesion. If the base is not properly prepared or is presented with a specific material, and its adhesion to glue and mortar does not occur.
- Uneven surface. This is especially true for tiles on the floor. The presence of serious differences in the height of the base leads to deformation and loosening of the cladding elements.
- Poor glue quality. The use of raw materials of poor quality for the production of the mixture, the violation of the proportions during mixing worsens the final result.
- Insufficient solution layer. Sometimes there is simply not enough glue to secure the trim element.
- Excess glue. If there is a lot of solution, it can delaminate and crumble.
- Water penetration. Constant contact of the solution with water leads to its softening, which is why tiles in the bathroom often fall off.
- Blows. When the tile is mechanically damaged or when repair work is performed that involve contact with this surface even from the opposite side, the solution looses and breaks.
- Temperature changes. When conditions change abruptly, a “shock” may occur, up to and including cracking of the tile itself.
- A dynamic foundation. Wood-based materials increase the dynamism of the substrate when changing humidity and temperature conditions.
- The presence of contamination. Any material comes off the glue if there are particles of dust or greasy deposits.
- Huge pressure. Heavy furniture, high traffic are also a prerequisite for why tiles eventually move away from the wall or crack on the floor.
- Old masonry. Old tiles cannot be used indefinitely without repair, the masonry also gradually wears out.
- Shrinkage of the building. This is especially true for new buildings, when the surfaces have NOT yet taken their final position.
The tile may fall off due to a violation of the facing technology
If the tiles in the kitchen or bathroom have fallen off, how can they be glued back? Much depends on the type of surface and the weight of the tile itself. How can you glue the fallen off tile on the floor or wall:
- Remains of glue. If you have a certain amount of powder mixture left, you can knead as much as is required to lay the missing element. But it is not recommended to use liquid formulations after a long time, as they thicken and lose their beneficial properties.
- Homemade solution. This is ideal, since it is quite easy to find materials for its manufacture. You will need water, sand and cement, you can add PVA glue for strength.
- Sealant. Suitable for small fragments, but often the tiles come off again.
- Paint. Thick and tacky paint can be substituted in the absence of other suitable formulations.
- Resin or bitumen. Due to its viscosity and stickiness it can be used for local restoration work.
- Casein cement mastic. Also a good alternative to traditional adhesive.
- Cement dough. It is applied to the back of a tile moistened with water and allows you to quickly and reliably adhere the tile to the wall or floor.
- Liquid Nails. An emergency method when you urgently need to fix a fragment, but there is a solution at hand. It is applied pointwise and around the perimeter.
How can you glue broken ceramic tiles? For this purpose, you can use silicone glue, water glass or special compounds. Chips can be masked with grout to match the tile.
You can glue the tiles on a silicone compound
We glue the fallen off tile in the bathroom
Even if the tiles were installed by professionals, over time you may find that your bathroom tiles have fallen off. How to glue it in place? There are several ways to solve this problem.
The fallen off tiles can be glued in several ways
Before you glue the fallen off tiles in place, you need to prepare the surface. First of all, you need to remove the remnants of the cladding. This should be done manually and very carefully so as not to hurt the neighboring fragments. Use a chisel and spatula. Clean the seams and pry off the damaged element.
After that, you need to clean up the remains of the solution. If the glue layer is dense, it is better to soak it and wipe it gradually. If there are irregularities, correct the situation. The wall is processed with thin layers of putty, and a millimeter thick screed can be made on the floor.
After that, take care to clear the area of dirt for applying the adhesive. Be sure to degrease the substrate and prime it for better adhesion. If you are using a cement based grout, dampen the tiles with water. The rest of the mixtures need a perfectly dry surface.
What to do in this case
What if the tiles on the floor or wall still fell off? There is no need to despair, because there is far from one way out of the situation. The first thing that comes to mind. Glue back the old tiles. To do this, you need to clear the space for its installation and clearly install it in its proper place, level with the rest.
This method is acceptable only if the tile remains intact, otherwise it is best to replace it with a new element. Surely after the renovation, you still have several tiles from the same batch. If not, then try to find one on sale. If this is not possible, then you can choose a tile of a second color. You can tie up such a contrast with any piece of furniture. Use a decorative insert with a similar shade of details, or even a tile of a different structure, up to a colored mosaic. It will look very original and interesting.
If this option is not for you, and the old tile is not very damaged, try to glue it. This must be done in such a way that the fragments are connected joint to joint with a minimum seam.
If the tile is not damaged, it can be glued again
In order to further prevent the destruction of the masonry, try to determine the possible reason for the peeling of the tile. In principle, this is not difficult to do. Voids are immediately noticeable, and their presence under the rest of the tiles can be checked by tapping. By the sound. Irregularities are also quite noticeable. If the solution is easily peeled off and crumbles, most likely, it is in it. Analyze All Possible Causes. Be sure to check the adjacent elements, they may have lagged when removing the damaged tile or for the same reason for which it comes off. If you find a large area of defect, you may need to completely redo the veneers and pre-level the base.
How and how to glue ceramic tiles to concrete
Experienced specialists know what to use when working with ceramic tiles in case of attachment to concrete. Most often, if the plate leaves, in their work they use paste-type glue or dry mixture. Which method you use is a matter of your choice.
Paste glue or mastic has a thick consistency and includes water. Due to the fact that after application the moisture evaporates. The adhesive hardens. Such material is easy to use.
If we talk about a dry mixture, then they include sand and cement.
These mixtures have a number of advantages over the previous representative:
- Available in price;
- Can be used in various types of work;
- Are the most reliable;
- Also in demand for outdoor cladding.
Adhesives for slabs have their own recipe, which determines their purpose in gluing to a specific surface.
Below is the main classification of styling adhesives:
- Universal adhesive. It is the most demanded, as it refers to multipurpose bonding agents.
- Basic glue. Used for gluing small boards on flat surfaces.
- Reinforced glue. They are used for large-sized slabs, as well as to glue loose floor ceramics.
- White glue. Designed for installation of mosaics or transparent elements.
- Highly specialized adhesives. Used for surfaces with high temperatures or high humidity.
Based on this list, you can choose exactly the glue that is suitable for your type of work.
How to glue tiles to concrete: 11 reasons for peeling off
Tiles in the kitchen fell off: how to glue
The most likely option for the destruction of tiles in the kitchen is the wrong primer mix, or even the absence of this step before installing the tiles.
The most common mistake in the priming process is the use of concentrated latex, which subsequently forms a rubber film that prevents the material from adhering securely.
Before proceeding with the installation of the fallen off part, the entire surface should be inspected for chips or cracks, and also tapped for voids with a rubber hammer. If the surface needs more than 20% restoration, then the dismantling of the entire coating is inevitable, since the destruction is likely to continue.
The following finishing works will continue in the following sequence:
- On the surface where the base has been exposed, minerite is removed. All parts are eliminated to a solid surface.
- Using coarse sandpaper or a boot knife, remove the old grout. The surface must be cleaned of glue residues to a perfectly flat surface. Then it can be ground.
- If you have a stock of old cladding material Use, or purchase a new one. In the case when it is not possible to purchase new plates, you can use what has fallen off, the most important thing. Clean it from old glue residues.
- The ceramic is laid from the bottom up. To maintain gaps, experts recommend using fixing crosses. Glue is applied to the back of the material. Thickness should be slightly larger than on boundary plates.
- The tile is pressed against the base, the adhesive protruding from the edges must be immediately removed.
The process is NOT time-consuming, but the life of the tile’s further operation depends on its quality, as well as the integrity of the entire coating.
How to glue the fallen off tile: Understanding the reasons
Many are familiar with the situation when, after a certain time after the repair, due to objective or biased reasons, ceramic tiles in a separate area fall off or begin to crack.
In order to determine the reasons for this phenomenon, it is necessary not only to analyze all the materials that were used during the work, but also the factors that accompanied the tile during its operation.
Among the main causes of damage to ceramics, 11 are distinguished:
- Incorrectly selected type of tiles;
- Incorrectly selected primer mix;
- Deformed base;
- The coating is physically worn out;
- The surface was not primed before coating;
- The ground was uneven;
- Poor type of glue;
- Incorrectly applied adhesive;
- Damage from shock and mechanical factors;
- Hole machining of assembly and technological type.
Absolutely any of these factors, especially their combination, can lead to the destruction of an entire area of a ceramic coating or an individual unit.
How to glue the fallen off tiles to the old place
However, if there is one or more tiles, you can use for gluing:
- Remains of old tile adhesive. It says here exclusively in dry mix. Provided that its storage was correct, it will not lose its properties even after a year. If we talk about a liquid consistency, then it can be used according to the expiration date. Most often it is not painful for two weeks.
- Dry cement. Using cement, you can make the amount of mortar that will be needed for the job. To do this, mix it with sand in a ratio of 1 to 3. If you doubt the strength of such a composition, add PVA glue.
- Silicone type sealant. This material is used exclusively in cases where a small fragment has disappeared. It is NOT recommended to use it for large parts, as they will most likely disappear again.
- Liquid Nails. They have proven themselves well in relation to tile fixing. In order for the part to be firmly attached, it is necessary to apply nails using a point method over the entire surface of the material. After the nails are applied, you need to wait about 40 seconds before fastening. This method is NOT recommended for fixing tiles to the floor, since the reliability of this method is in last place.
- Assembly adhesive. Can be used in the event that an emergency repair is needed. Its application is elementary, and its strength and durability are guaranteed. After such an attachment, the tiles are unlikely to fall off. The only thing that this method can, and not like, is the price. Such repairs will be very expensive.
As you can see, it is very easy to glue the fallen off tiles to the old place, especially if you have one of the above means at hand. The rest is a matter of time.
Options: how to glue tiles to concrete
Gluing tiles to concrete is not as difficult as it might seem at first glance. There are many ways to do this work. Some of them were mentioned in our article. Even someone who has never worked with tiles can cope with this problem, but if you still doubt your abilities, contact a specialist for advice.
The use of a manual machine at work
Tile cutting scheme with a manual machine.
Such a slab cutter is used to cut plates with a thickness of no more than 5-6 mm. The tool has a very reasonable price and makes it possible to cut the required number of tiles relatively easily and quickly. It is well suited for DIY cladding.
It is applied in the following order:
- With a pencil or felt-tip pen, mark the part to be cut on the tile;
- The material is installed on the base of the device so that the cutting line is under the impeller of the machine;
- Using the tool handle, carefully cut the cut with the impeller along the marked mowing line;
- The tile is fixed on both sides of the intended cut using the so-called wings;
- Easily hit the machine handle, separate from the tile Waste piece.
If, after several such blows, the tile remains intact, then try to cut the next plate.
Electric ceramic cutter
The electric tile cutter is based on a diamond disc, which allows you to make even and beautiful cuts.
This device has a diamond disc as a working tool and will cope with tiles of any thickness.
When working, smooth cuts with rounded, smoothed edges are obtained.
Such a machine can be used for any amount of work, it is used when cutting various ceramic and stone slabs, with the exception of those coated with carbide chips, which can damage the diamond disc.
They work on this device like this:
- The cut line is applied to the tile with a pencil;
- The marked tile is placed on the working platform of the machine, and tightly holding the plate with both hands and pressing it to the base of the device, slowly move the material under the blade of the diamond disc;
- During work, special glasses are used to protect the eyes and the level of cooling water in the machine pan is constantly monitored;
- The fluid is changed periodically. During operation, it becomes clogged with ceramic chips;
- Do not try to increase the speed at which the tiles are fed under the disc. She can crack.
How can you cut tiles with pliers?
Nippers are used to break off tiles.
This tool is used when it is necessary to cut tiles for holes in different places: for platbands, for water pipes, etc. Nippers DO NOT cut in the literal sense of the word, but break off small pieces from the tiles along the cut line. The cutters themselves have 2 carbide-coated clamps. The upper one cuts the glazed layer onto the tile, and the lower one serves as a support for the plate. Cutting pliers are used like this:
- The contour of the recess is applied to the tile;
- Insert the tile into the pliers so that the upper clamp is on the marked mowing line;
- Squeeze both halves of the tool and break the tiles along the markings. You can not “bite off” large pieces, the edges are uneven or the tile itself will crack;
- Having completely passed along the markings and having removed the unnecessary material, the cut on the tile is cleaned with a file or diamond sandpaper.
How to cut tile glass cutter or angle grinder?
The glass cutter can quickly cut a straight cut through the material. To do this, perform the following operations:
- Mark with a pencil (felt-tip pen) the line along which they are going to cut the tiles;
- Press the square of material to the table with one hand, and with the other, directing the glass cutter towards yourself and holding it at an angle of 90 °, hold the tool with pressure along the intended mowing line;
- The cut plate is placed on a wooden block (or on the edge of the table) and with a blow of the palm, break the tile along the mowing line of the cut.
Scheme for cutting tiles with a stele cutter.
In addition, difficulties arise in its application when making a figured cut mowing line. Now let’s look at how to cut a tile angle grinder.
To use it in facing work, you need to purchase a diamond disc, which allows you to use this universal tool for cutting tiles both along straight and curly lines. Compared to an electric tile cutter, an angle grinder is more mobile, but loses to it in terms of cut quality. After cutting the tile with this tool, you need to clean the sections with a file or sandpaper. Use an angle grinder like this:
- A cut line is drawn on the plate;
- The tile is fixed in wooden clamps, or it is pressed with the foot and an angle grinder is cut;
- The cut edges are cleaned with a file.
How to cut tile?
Cutting tools A-tile cutter; B-bit carbide; C-angle grinder; D-manual tile cutter; E-pliers; F-glass cutter; G-hacksaw for metal.
On the market, manufacturers sell various fixtures and tools to accomplish this task.
Of all the offered variety, you can use the following for independent work:
- Manual slab cutter;
- Its electrical counterpart;
- Tile nippers;
- Conventional roller glass cutter;
- The so-called angle grinder;
- Metallic pencil with a victorious tip.
How to use these tools when cutting tiles will be discussed below.
How to cut tile at home?
The production of works on covering the walls and floors of different rooms with ceramic tiles is NOT complete without cutting the tiles, since usually it is not always possible to use only whole plates and some of them have to be cut. How to cut a tile with your own hands? What tools should be used for this? How can you cut a tile so that smooth edges are obtained in the tiles, And the plate does not split?
When laying tiles, there is a need to cut them. To keep the edges of the tiles even Use special tools.
In order to cut high-quality ceramic tiles, it is necessary to use Special tools and devices. If the work to be performed is of a small volume, then hand tools are usually used. When covering large areas with tiles, professional equipment is used. Consider various methods and tools for cutting ceramic tiles.