Making a cover on the angle grinder to connect the vacuum cleaner
Angle grinder. a simple, but extremely popular handheld power tool, which has managed to gain notable popularity in most types of technical and repair work. We cannot call its capabilities too wide, nor a set of functional abilities, but the very tasks that the angle grinder solves, are inaccessible to other tools.
Users appreciate the angle grinder and constantly try to refine, improve the set of functions and abilities. Consider one of these options that can make using the tool clean and comfortable.
What the hood is for
Before you start working with concrete and wood, you need to imagine what the result will be. Cutting with an angle grinder generates dust, which not only settles in the room, but also gets into the human respiratory system. That’s why the tool should be used only with a respirator and safety glasses. To protect the room from excessive dust, you need to work with a special nozzle, which is attached to the hose from a vacuum cleaner.
Use the nozzle on the angle grinder in the following cases:
- When routing concrete, brick, cinder block, slate, and other similar materials. If you are doing this during construction, dust is not as dangerous as it would be during renovation work. When cutting tough materials, they are crushed, which causes dust to settle all over the room
- Tile and ceramic tile cutting. when processing these materials, dust is also generated, which is especially dangerous for human health. Tiles can be cut with special tile cutters, and no dust is generated, but if the work is done with an angle grinder, it is better to install a special nozzle
- Woodworking. when sawing wood not only dust is formed, but also sawdust, which can be easily and quickly eliminated with the help of the hood installed on the angle grinder
Manufacturers make special hoods for angle grinder with disc diameters of 125, 150 and 230 mm. This is the most common types of cutting tools, so it is for them, manufacturers produce special hoods for dust extraction.
This is interesting!If there is no industrial vacuum cleaner, then it is not recommended to use a household vacuum cleaner for dust extraction when working with an angle grinder.
The fact that the hood on the angle grinder is necessary, masters and specialists do not even doubt it, because it is enough to try once to make a cut of concrete, to be convinced of the need to purchase or manufacture a dust collector. What is better, to buy or make their own hands guard for collecting dust on the angle grinder, here everyone must decide for themselves. After all, the protective cover is relatively inexpensive, but to avoid the expense, then the nozzle should be made independently.
Purpose of the cover
As you know, any angle grinder has a standard protective cover. Its main purpose is to protect the operator from particles flying from under the tool and from flying debris in case of a disc breakage. If you make a cover for angle grinder to connect the vacuum cleaner with their own hands, then the original cover, or use as a carrier base, or remove it from the machine.
The hood for connecting a vacuum cleaner to an angle grinder is used in many cases.
- To “cut” a hole in the concrete;
- Grinding of rough coating of walls or floors for the subsequent finishing;
- cutting of finishing tiles or building stones (brick, cinder block);
- Sawing wood or other non-sparking materials.
Both lists are incomplete, and the need for simultaneous use of angle grinder and vacuum cleaner is determined when planning the work.
Softstarters with three wires
By the way be careful, there are similar devices, but with three wires. For example XS-12/D3.
Or other models that look similar to the KRRQD.
But they are based on a slightly different principle and must be installed after the START button, in the instrument itself. Voltage to them must be applied only at the moment of closing the starter button of the angle grinder and immediately disappear after its release.
READ Angle grinder 115 or 125mm Which one to choose
A phase is connected to pin “A”, and zero to pin “C”. Then the phase control output wire goes to the motor (this is just the third wire).
Such device will be constantly under voltage of 220 V without push-button, which is not admissible.
There is no such thing as a two-wire unit, because it is connected in the circuit, and voltage (potential difference) is applied to it only during start-up and operation of the tool.
There is one more thing. the so-called electric brake or brake winding on angle grinders. It may not work with a 3-wire external controller, but it will work with a 2-wire model.
Soft starters with three wires
By the way be careful, there are similar devices, but with three wires. For example XS-12/D3.
Or other models similar in appearance to the KRRQD.
But they are based on a slightly different principle and need to be installed after the START button, in the instrument itself. They should be energized only when the angle grinder starter button is closed and immediately disappear when it is released.
READ Angle grinder 115 or 125mm Which one to choose?
The phase goes to pin “A”, the zero to pin “C”. Then the phase control output wire goes to the motor (this is just the third wire).
Without the button, such a device will be constantly under voltage of 220V, which is not acceptable.
There is no such thing in the two-wire unit, because it is connected in the gap circuit, and the voltage (potential difference) is applied to it only at the moment of starting and working of the tool.
Another point is the so-called electric brake or brake winding on angle grinders. It may not work with a 3-wire external controller, but it will with the 2-wire model.
Types of housings
One type of factory-made hood is shown in the photo below.
Angle grinder manufacturers, also produce hoods for connecting the vacuum cleaner. Attachments for vacuum cleaner, are made according to the same dimensions as conventional protective covers, only with the inclusion of a branch pipe for connecting a hose. Dimensions correspond to the most common working disc sizes, 125, 150 and 230 mm.
Most of the masters working with the angle grinder, prefer homemade hoods, as in their manufacture better take into account the characteristics of the machine and the vacuum cleaner, as well as the amount of work to be done.
Purpose of disks and nozzles
Grinding wheels are differentiated according to their purpose for:
Angle grinder (angle grinder), in common parlance called “Bulgarian”, is widely used on construction sites and at home for repairs. It can be used for many different processes. In order to choose the right tool for a particular type of work, you need to familiarize yourself with what kind of discs and attachments for angle grinders. Tools for this device are selected by size and purpose.
How to change a disc with and without an angle grinder wrench?
The angle grinder is a universal power tool. It can be used to cut steel and wood, work concrete and stone, perform grinding and roughing work, and sharpen a hacksaw. And there is a specific disc for each operation. For example, a thin cutting wheel for angle grinder can not be used for grinding surfaces. It will break quickly. How to properly put a disc on an angle grinder when grinding and breaking the wheel or switching to another type of work?
According to the instruction manual, the replacement of the disk on the angle grinder should be made as follows.
- Unplug the power tool cord from the power outlet.
- Press the spindle rotation lock button.
- Hold down the stop button on the angle grinder and loosen the flange nut with the open-end wrench. Turn the angle grinder wrench in the direction of the disc rotation. If it is difficult to press the button with one hand and use the wrench with the other, ask someone close to you to help.
- Remove the old disk from the spindle shaft.
- Fit a new disc.
- Secure with the nut by hand or with the same universal wrench. Hold the stopper with your other hand at this point. Do not overtighten the nut.
- Unplug the angle grinder for thirty seconds at maximum speed. If the disc rotates freely, without impact, without touching the protective hood, you can begin work.
The bucket wrench must be supplied with the angle grinder. The low quality wrench is often found on cheap angle grinders. It can break quickly (though, it happens with tools from leading manufacturers). In the end, you can simply lose the wrench. How to properly install the disc on the angle grinder in this case, not having at hand a suitable tool?
How to change the disc with and without an angle grinder wrench?
An angle grinder is a universal power tool. It can be used for cutting steel and wood, working concrete and stone, grinding and roughing, and sharpening hacksaws. And there is a specific wheel for each operation. For example, a fine cutting wheel for an angle grinder cannot be used to grind surfaces. it will break quickly. How to correctly place the disc on the angle grinder when grinding and break the wheel or switch to another type of work?
According to the operating instructions, replace the disc on the angle grinder as follows.
- Unplug the power tool from the electrical outlet.
- Press the spindle rotation lock button.
- Hold down the stop button on the angle grinder and unscrew the flange nut with the open-end wrench. Turn the angle grinder wrench in the direction of the disc rotation. If it is difficult to press the button with one hand and use the wrench with the other, ask someone close to you to help.
- Remove the old disk from the spindle shaft.
- Fit a new disc.
- Secure with the nut by hand or with the same universal key. Hold the stopper with your other hand at this point. Do not overtighten the nut.
- Put the angle grinder on the mains for thirty seconds at maximum speed. If the disc spins freely without impact, without touching the protective hood, you can start working.
The open-jaw wrench must come with the angle grinder. A low-quality wrench often comes with cheap angle grinders. It can break quickly (it happens, however, with tools from leading manufacturers). After all, you might just lose the key. How to properly install the disk on the angle grinder in this case, not having at hand a suitable tool?
How to change the disc on the angle grinder without a wrench?
Use a torque wrench. Take hold of the nut with the pipe wrench and loosen it carefully without using much force. Disadvantage: It is possible to crush the nut, breaking the rotation lock.
Make a homemade wrench for the angle grinder. You will need a long nail (at least a hundred mm). It is necessary to cut off the flat, the tip and give the nail a U-shape. It should be bent so that the tool posts get into the holes of the flange. If the nut is tight, put any metal bar between the nail posts and, taking hold of it with both hands, turn the construction in the direction of the circle movement. Press and hold the spindle locking button at the same time. The method is safe, but it takes time and additional tools. Hacksaw, vice, hammer.
Tapping with a chisel. Before replacing the disc you can spray the spindle shaft with WD-40 and wait at least fifteen minutes. Then place the tip of a fine chisel at an angle to the flange nut hole and tap gently across the hole with a metal hammer. Sooner or later, after light knocking, the nut will come off and can be unscrewed by hand. The disadvantage of this method is that you can damage the holes and ruin the flange.
Heat the nut. If it is difficult to unscrew the nut of an angle grinder by hand, you can heat it up a bit with a gas torch or an autogenous gun. Wear gloves to prevent burning when unscrewing the flange. This is the most risky method suggested. The bearings and oil in the gearbox of the angle grinder can overheat.
In conclusion, we would like to note a few important points concerning disc replacement on the angle grinder.
- Use suitable sized discs on the angle grinder. It is essential to observe strict safety precautions and never remove the blade guard to install a disc with a larger diameter. Power tool model, power, spindle speed, etc. must be taken into account when choosing a disk.
- Because the disc is rotating at high speed, the angle grinder‘s protective hood builds up. Therefore, remove and clean the guard when replacing the disc.
- Some models of the grinders are equipped with washers to prevent the disc from jamming between the flanges. At the very least, a rubber washer can be fitted on the support flange. Spacers made of cardboard, rubber or plastic can be cut instead of the factory fittings. Two washers must be used: one between the supporting flange and the disc and the other between the disc and the nut.
- Do not forget: if the wheel rotates clockwise, the nut is also unscrewed clockwise and tightened counterclockwise.
- If you do not want to buy a new wrench, install the Bosch quick-clamping nut on the angle grinder. Easy to unscrew by hand.
The main thing when replacing the disc on the angle grinder does not violate safety precautions and perform all manipulations with the tool unplugged.
To make a cover for the angle grinder under the vacuum cleaner with their own hands is not difficult. You need only approach the problem with imagination. There are a lot of materials for manufacturing:
The best option is considered the one that does not require the use of a welding machine.
The original guard
A less costly way to make it is to use the standard safety device. To it you only need to attach the side cover and the spigot. To make the side cover, you can take a piece of galvanized steel and then proceed as follows:
- From galvanized steel cut into strips 15 mm wide and 30 mm long for the manufacture of angles. Then bend it at right angles in the middle.
- Drill a hole with a diameter smaller than the self-drilling screws in the side of the open part of the cover. Through these holes fasten the brackets that were previously made.
- Cut out the side cover from galvanized steel.
- Drill a hole near the edge for the socket.
- The spigot can be made by folding a sheet metal into a pipe. Attach the edges together using self-tapping screws or clamps.
- One edge of the pipe must be notched in several places. And these sectors to bend.
- Insert the pipe into the cut-out cover and secure it with self-tapping screws.
- Also screw the obtained construction to the angle grinder with self-drilling screws.
- Attach the construction to the angle grinder.
- Connect to the vacuum cleaner by means of a corrugated hose. To make the connection secure, a clamp must be used.
That’s it, the angle grinder with a hood for a vacuum cleaner is ready to work.
Model from a plastic canister
After oil change or antifreeze filling in the car in the garage there are always plastic canisters. Thick walls and strain reliefs in the corners allow the canister to hold its shape without deforming. In addition, the size of the neck of the canister almost corresponds to the size of the vacuum cleaner hose.
Before cutting, it is necessary to determine such parameter as the immersion depth of the cutting disc. The installed dust extractor will prevent sinking. It is possible to take a regular cover as a basis.
- First mark the position with a marker.
- Use a sharp construction knife to cut out the holes and cut off unwanted parts. It is recommended to make the holes intended for landing on the angle grinder on both sides. It is necessary it in case there will be a necessity to change a direction of rotation.
- Use a hose clip to connect the hose to the neck.
- The dust extraction system is mounted on the angle grinder using a clamping ring with an adapter ring.
- To cover the planting hole that is not used, you need to cut a circle with a larger diameter and fix it with self-tapping screws.
A tool for the tile cutter
Ceramic tile cutting requires constant monitoring. The hood for the angle grinder completely obscures the view. You need a transparent material for the hood.
Use a 5 liter transparent water bottle as a workpiece. A suction nozzle for a vacuum cleaner is inserted into the neck. Using a stationery knife, cut a hole for the fit.
The bottom of the bottle is cut off so that the disk is set at the desired height. The construction is fixed to the angle grinder with a clamping or screwing system. The large volume of the bottle prevents dust from escaping, and the hood acts as a dust collector at the same time.
The worker working indoors is not protected. And to protect himself from harmful factors, he can use a respirator and goggles, or install a dust canister or dust cover on the tool.
Vacuum hoods for angle grinders are available in a huge range. Each of these types can differ not only in design, but also in functionality. Several models of nozzles are very popular with craftsmen.
- Bosch 2605510224. This brush head is suitable for different brands of angle grinders with 115 mm and 125 mm discs. It is equipped with a special ring brush, which allows you to perform work with a fibrous nozzle and grinding wheel. The size of the nozzle is 200×190×80 mm and its weight is 0.3 kg. The cost is inexpensive.
- STOMER 98299441. This device is made in the form of a semi-circle. It is installed on the angle grinder with 230 mm discs. The main advantage of the bit is the guide rail, which is responsible for adjusting the drilling depth. Cover size. 320×160×240 mm, weight 2.71 kg. It is also available at an affordable price.
- Mechnik Air Duster. This version is suitable for tools with diamond discs of diameter 125 and 230 mm. It is characterized by its low price and the possibility of connection to medium-power vacuum cleaners (up to 1.6 kW). The housing is lightweight, easy to install.
- Blastrak. This is a professional dust extraction hood that can be connected to the grinding machine with 125 and 180 mm discs. The nozzle is characterized by variable elasticity, is more rigid in places of attachment to the angle grinder and soft at the edges in contact with the floor.
- Metabo GED125. The hood is worth a special mention. It is recommended for concrete and stone work. The nozzle is equipped with a special nozzle which allows it to be connected to a vacuum cleaner.
The main advantage of this model is its anti-static housing. It prevents the accumulation of dust and maintains the power of the extraction system.
A little bit of theory
All circular saw blades of this machine are designed for a specific rotation speed. The closer to the spindle, the higher it is:
- at diameter of 115-125 mm. 10000-11000 rpm;
- Increasing the diameter to 150-180 mm lowers it to 8000-8500 rpm;
- large diameter on powerful lathes work at about 6000-6700 rpm.
If the speeds are not matched, increased vibration can be transmitted to the tool. In this case, the pancakes break or crumble. Laboratory studies have shown that the rotation of the cutting edge should be less than 80 m/s.
Possibilities, dangers of working with unsuitable discs
There is a temptation to install larger or smaller wheels. Let’s try to predict the work of an angle grinder and the difficulties you may encounter.
- On the tool with the same spindle speed you can install a close-sized pancake, given that it is easy to do and the seating is the same. Instead of a 125 mm wheel, you can install 115 mm. This is normal. the spindle rotation is the same, the diameters are almost the same.
- If we try to put a 125 mm disc instead of a smaller one, we will face with discrepancy in height of protective cover. The gap will remain, but it will be too small. After that you must either change the cover for a larger size or stay without it. Rotation speeds are the same, the probability of parasitic vibration is minimal, but no one canceled the rules of safety. There is a chance of breakage, and the sparks flying around get in the way. The pancake can get caught in the metal, bend badly if you move it awkwardly. It can fly apart because of poor workmanship. You can’t do it that way!
- Wheels on the grinder with a planting size of 150-180 mm can also be swapped. These models have already lower speed. up to 8500 rpm. That’s why it’s easy to get a smaller one. But to do the opposite would be difficult. the protection would interfere. You will have to remove or put of the corresponding diameter. The dangers of working without the hood were mentioned above.
- Replace the big angle grinder with a smaller one. Theoretically it is realistic, but the weight and size of the tool will prevent accurate work. Disk size that goes beyond spindle diameters is also small. Small pancakes are 2-3 times less thick, so the inconvenience of work is threatened by the breakage of the wheel. A high guard will not effectively protect against debris.
It happens that a small machine needs to be fitted with a large wheel. The nuances of this manipulation:
- the shroud will interfere and you will have to change to a bigger one or work without it;
- At 11000 rpm high loads are contraindicated. only thin metal can be accurately cut;
- The size of the pancake is comparable to the size of the tool, which will make it difficult to work with fast cuts of thick metal and threaten to pull the machine out of his hands when the disc jams;
- High speed can be reduced to 8000 rpm, but the problem of small lever and tool weight will not disappear, and this can cause injury.
Note that it is necessary to work responsibly and safely. Therefore, you should not put on small machines washed-out circles of large size. they will not withstand the load. Only discs with the specified rotation parameters must be used.
Angle grinder was designed as a tool for auxiliary work: cutting fittings or metal bars, sanding surfaces, deburring edges. Attachment of the nozzle extends its capabilities. In the construction market there are available attachments for angle grinder with the following parameters:
- Protective cover; made to specific disc parameters.
- Work with one or two discs.
- Branch to connect to a classic bag-vacuum cleaner.
- Seat for connection of a cyclone (vacuum cleaner for dry vacuum cleaning).
- The cost of the device is quite high, especially if it is a well-known manufacturer’s product.
In order for the attachment to be functional, the angle grinder must have the following characteristics:
- Power. Motor of angle grinder with small (up to 1000 watts) power is not designed for continuous long term work. For cutting joints, you need a machine with at least 1500 watts of power.
- The length of the shaft, on which the main saw blade is fixed, should allow you to install an additional blade (if you want to form two walls of the joint simultaneously).
- The diameter of the saw blade sets the size of the angle grinder nozzle for grinding, as well as the depth of cut and the safety of operation.
The simplest slotting device can be made quickly and without much effort. A single disc is installed on the shaft for concrete work. No changes are made to the design of the angle grinder and the work is done as follows:
The method is economical, but not without disadvantages: until you get used to it, it will be difficult to maintain the desired depth of the seam; the cut will be uneven, and the size. unstable.
You can go the other way and increase the length of the spindle. This will allow you to install an additional saw blade and form a groove in one pass. It saves time and cutting width is kept constant, but the problem of dusting persists. The best choice would be a full-fledged nozzle.
Before you make a reamer from an angle grinder, you need to stock up on tools. Besides the most angle grinder and circular saw blades (it is better to buy diamond discs) you will need screwdrivers and wrenches, nuts of appropriate diameter, pliers, vacuum cleaner. The cover can be used ready-made or you can make it yourself. Assembly is performed in the following order:
- The first disk is put on a spindle (work shaft) and fixed with a nut.
- The second disk is installed. For fixation, use the nut for the deburring disk (quick-clamping), and screw it in the opposite direction.
The cover can be made by yourself. If the amount of work is small, it can be made from leftover plywood or laminate. Plywood backing provides smooth movement on concrete surface, but we can’t change the depth of cut. Casing, which allows you to change the parameters of the shroving, is made of metal.
For the metal shell will need a sheet of iron with a thickness of 2-3 mm. Details of the cutting can be made your own or find a pattern on the internet. You’d need a welder and some sturdy paint for the surface finish. The self-made machine has operational peculiarities: It must not be overheated, so you need to take breaks in your work.