Rules of fixing the ledge
Even before installation, it is important to properly determine the place and position of the future support for curtains. Rules are few and all are simple:
- The length of the rod is determined so that when sliding to the extreme positions, the curtains open the window completely. As a rule, a rod with a length of 30 centimeters greater than the dimensions of the window on each side is sufficient for this.
- The plane of the drape must be located slightly further than the window sill material should not interfere with it.
- For plasterboard surfaces, the best solution is plastic flat curtain models, which will not reduce the height of the room, which has already become less due to the installation of plasterboard plane.
- The anchoring spacing is determined by the weight of the curtains. However, do not hope to fix the curtain with heavy curtains more securely, simply by increasing the number of dowels. The surface of gypsum plasterboard has its own strength limit and heavy materials it can not withstand. You need to choose the right attachment option.
Recommendations for installing the ledge to the plasterboard ceiling
If you will use only lightweight tulles as curtains, then you will not have any problems with how to fasten the ledge to the ceiling construction of drywall.
Use a lightweight ledge and install it using the techniques discussed above.
Otherwise it is necessary to conduct the installation of structures to plasterboard ceilings, if the curtains will be heavy and multi-layered. In this case, from the very beginning, determine exactly where the curtain track will be fixed. In these places, install wooden tabs, which will ensure a secure attachment of the curtain track to the ceiling surface.
The marking is convenient to do on the previously purchased ledge. Fix the tabs in the form of bars to the base ceiling in the place where you plan to install it.
- The thickness of the bar should be less than the distance between the plane of the base ceiling and the plasterboard;
- The length and width of the overlay must be greater than the same parameters of the curtain track.
So, let’s proceed to work
First, we need to prepare all the necessary tools. Since we need to fasten the ledge at the height, we will need:
To mount the cornice to drywall, it is advisable to use a dowel-butterfly.
- sturdy and stable stool or stepladder. Tip: When using a chair, place it with its back against the wall;
- goggles, because getting plaster or concrete crumbs in the eyes is a very unpleasant process, which is also not good for your health;
- hacksaw for metal;
- a small hammer;
- Phillips screwdriver;
- tape measure
- angle grinder;
- Special drywall wall plugs.
A little information about drywall wall plugs. Butterfly this dowel, after a screw is screwed into it, opens and thus securely fixes the fastener. Umbrella dowel, works like an ordinary umbrella. Once it hits the empty space behind the drywall, it opens like an umbrella and thus increases the load distribution area on the drywall. And dowel self-tapping, even does not require pre-drilling drywall, as it is easily screwed with a regular screwdriver into the drywall itself. Tip: If you need to install the ledge for heavy curtains, it is better to use anchor bolts in this case. In this case, you need to drill through the drywall, then drill a hole in the wall at least 5 cm. And the length of the anchor should be chosen taking into account the thickness of the drywall, the distance between the wall and the drywall and the size of the hole in the wall.
How to attach the cornice to concrete and wood, to plasterboard and suspended ceilings
Very few people are able, without the help of a designer, to calculate every detail during the repair so that after it is completed you won’t have to regret what was not done, not thought through, or not done as it should be. As a result, then there are not enough outlets, then the sofa does not fit in the niche, then the closet door does not open as it should. In this article, we will tell you how to attach the cornice to the wall: on a stretch ceiling, suspended from plasterboard and concrete.
This information is useful to everyone, not just those who make repairs on their own. Because very often the “shoals” builders have to remake at their own expense, if you do not immediately put a clear task before them.
To be able to install the curtain track with his own hands should every man
How to attach the cornice to the drywall. Ways of fixing. Creation of a niche for the curtain track
The question of how to hang the cornice on the drywall sheet often arises unexpectedly: suddenly it turns out that there is no monolithic base under the reliable in appearance cladding, and the sheet itself GPB is destroyed under load.
In such a situation, you have to resort to a few tricks, some of which we describe in this article.
For reliable fixation of the wall or ceiling curtain track, various technologies are used
What is good ceiling ledges? They allow you to fix the curtains at ceiling level. This arrangement of the fabric is well suited for small apartments with a ceiling height of 2.60 meters. You do not need to think about the weight of the purchased curtains. An important advantage of ceiling cornices is their low price and high quality.
The ledge without a baguette
The main difference between the cornices. the material used to manufacture. For this purpose, manufacturers use mainly aluminum and plastic. Also, curtain rails differ in the number of curtains placed on it. It varies from 1 to 4 rows. This allows you to experiment and make any composition from curtains, tulle and lambrequins.
HOW TO REPAIR DRYWALL (PEAKED JOINTS)
A rail with side bends
According to their design, ceiling curtain rails are divided into three types:
We lay the pipe in front of the window parallel to the wall, put the brackets (4), decorative tips (5) and “try on” the construction.
Categorically refuse to place holders:
- The ceiling ledges are not in contact with the heating pipe (the heating of the polymer holder from the pipe can lead to deformation);
- At the junction of beveled corners (there are many voids);
- at the beginning of the radii of rounding walls in block houses (do not forget that the cups of fastening bases have a fairly large diameter and installation even at the very beginning of the radius will lead to the inevitable warping);
- Keep away from the intended passage of the heating pipe in houses with heating built into the walls.
If necessary cut the pipe to the right length. Make a mark with a marker around the circumference. We sawed the pipe in the place of the seam to a depth of 0.5 cm, then on the mowing line of the marker we notch and break off the sawed off end. Do not try to saw it off all the way to the top by hand!
We shorten the busbar by the same length (9). Here you will have to be very careful, because you will have to be very careful. к. The profile of the busbar has an open cross-section and when sawing it “plays” all the time. It is imperative that we straighten the sawing-off place with the tips of the pliers, bend it inside a little and deburr it with a file.
The choice of techniques for fastening the curtain track
Which of the methods to use when installing blinds for curtain rods on drywall will depend on the specific situation.
- Lay wooden battens at the finishing stage of the room.
- Use dowels if the drywall sheets are mounted directly to the load-bearing wall, using mounting glue.
What rules to follow in each specific situation, and how to fasten the ledge to drywall, selecting the right materials?
Hanging the ledge with embedded parts
Regardless of the type of eaves for curtains (ceiling or wall), you can greatly simplify the fastening still at the stage of finishing the walls with plasterboard sheets. For this purpose it is necessary to embed wooden embedded parts in the frame.
Placement of the mortgage
They are made from slats or bars of the appropriate section, but it is worth observing a few rules:
- wood must be well dried, and treated against external influences (painting, varnishing or impregnation);
- The cross section of the embedding, must be appropriate to the weight of the fastening of the future element;
- Fasten the wooden lath should not be too deep into the frame, so that the future fastener could be securely fixed in the embedding, and the sheet of gypsum plasterboard did not sag under the fastener;
- It is worthwhile to choose the correct fastening material for the battens. For example, in the gas and foam concrete blocks of standard plastic dowel will not provide a rigid fixation, this is done using the so-called “crocodiles”, if the beam is quite heavy, it is worth using anchors.
After installing embedded rails cladding frame plasterboard, marking the location of tabs in the scheme.
Fixing cornices to the drywall with these embedded materials is not difficult, and you can use standard screws of the required length, combining them with dowels, if such a need arises.
To hang the curtain rod in this way is made markings on the ceiling or wall, and at the points of attachment mount brackets curtain rod using a screwdriver or an electric screwdriver.
Fixing the cornice on the bearing walls
Today it is quite common to use finishing walls with gypsum plasterboard sheets in a frameless way. In this case, the individual elements of the plasterboard are fixed with plaster mounting adhesive, with a small amount of self-tapping screws. In this case the distance of the surface of the sheet will be minimal from the load-bearing wall, and therefore you can apply a classic method of attaching rails.
Classic fastening of the eaves
To perform this work will need to select the fastening material.
It is important to choose the right type of dowel for the wall material!
Fastening is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- First make a marking on the surface of the finish.
- Drill holes at the fixing points. Do it in one step, so as not to damage the surface of the drywall.
Next, dowels are hammered in, and the eaves bracket is placed on them, securing it with a self-tapping screw. Tightening the screw, do not forcefully, and press it to the surface, otherwise you can damage the drywall.
In this case, the fastener will perform two functions, in addition to the eaves itself, it will provide additional fixation of the trim sheet.
Attaching the ledge directly to the drywall
However, often the surface of the finish can be located at a considerable distance from the load-bearing wall, standard methods of attachment are not suitable. They will simply press through the cardboard and will not provide a proper fixation.
In such a case it is possible to fasten the ledge to plasterboard, using special fasteners.
- Dowel bowls. The device of such fasteners is as follows. When screwing a screw under the surface of drywall, the “wings” of the dowel itself open, they rest against the surface, thus distributing the pressure on the material. Butterflies can be used to hang light cornices on the ceiling of drywall, or nonheavy wall options.
- Drifts. Such a dowel has a screw thread on its surface, and when screwing it in, its sides securely grip the sheet. Using such fasteners it is possible to install not too massive cornices.
- Dowel-mole. This is the most reliable way to fix the ceiling cornice on the drywall or any wall-mounted version. Each dowel is designed to load up to 25 kg, and will withstand even heavy decorative elements hanging on the wall.
Sequence of screwing in a dowel-butterfly However, there are some subtleties when using special fastening material for drywall surfaces.
Using a dowel-butterfly, you must initially according to the markings drill holes of the appropriate diameter. It is important not to flatten the walls, that is, it is necessary to drill in one step without excessive movements of the drill.
In the resulting hole insert a plastic dowel, and hang the bracket by screwing the screw.
Drill holes can be of two types with or without a drill bit. In the first version of such a dowel mount without drilling the drywall, using a cross-shaped nozzle on an electric screwdriver. If the drill is not drilled it should be attached as follows. Drill a hole with a diameter of 6 mm, put dowel, and screw it with a Phillips tip.
When the dowel is installed, fix the eaves brackets with the appropriate self-tapping screw.
The order of fixing dowel-mole
Dowel-mole is installed with pre-drilling the holes according to the markings. It is important not to damage the walls of the hole for the future fastener. Before installation it is necessary to bend lightly the walls of the dowel with a knife, and unscrew the bolt. After that you insert the metal dowel into the hole, and then put the bracket of the curtain wall above, which is fixed with a bolt. Screw in the fastener until it locks.
Using the described methods of hanging rods you can easily solve this problem. It is only important to follow the technology and choose the right method and material.