Husqvarna chain saw malfunctions and repair
Despite the presence of service centers for maintenance and repair of power tools, many owners of chain saws prefer to repair them on their own. When starting your own repair, you need to know what your chainsaw consists of, how to diagnose malfunctions and have a set of tools that may be needed for repair.
In this article let’s find out how to repair your Husqvarna chain saw and what you need to.
Flushing The Fuel And Oil Tank Of A Husqvarna Chainsaw.
First start of the chainsaw
A new chain saw should not be operated immediately at maximum load. All the rotating parts of the tool must first be rubbed together. It’s a good idea to have a full gas tank and not to apply too much force to the saw when you first start it up. If this test was successful, you can continue to use the chain saw without restrictions.
Start the chain saw on a level, horizontal surface. The STIHL chain saw should be started as follows.
- Pull the chain by hand along the bar, making sure it runs smoothly and there is no excessive resistance.
- Engage the chain brake by pulling the lever away from you.
- Open the cylinder decompression valve.
- Feed the fuel mixture into the carburetor with a few squeezes of the primer.
- To start the saw properly, press the rear handle with your right foot against the ground. Hold the front handle with the left hand and hold the lever with the right hand.
- Put the combination switch in the cold start position.
- With a jerk of the starter grip, start the engine, which should stop almost immediately.
- Open the throttle to the half throttle position.
- Re-ignite the engine by pulling the starter rope and immediately set the throttle lever to the idle position.
- Pull the chain brake lever to the operating position.
- Hold the far end of the guide bar against a clean, light-colored surface and confirm that the chain lubrication system works by sprinkling small drops of oil.
After you are satisfied that all components and mechanisms of the saw are in good working order and that there is no noise when idling, you can start to work under load.
One of the most important questions sawtool owners have, because everyone wants to know what to expect.
Almost all tanks have a capacity of approx. 500 ml. If the power of the chainsaw is 2 kW, then the consumption of fuel mixture will be about 1.2 liters per hour of work. To put it simply, such a tool can operate at maximum speed for half an hour without interruption. If a chainsaw is not so powerful, it will have a smaller tank volume. So the user can independently control the fuel consumption.
Over time, the user will learn how to service their tool without any assistance. The main task will be to keep the household machine in good, working condition, using quality fuel mixes. Observe safety rules when preparing flammable liquids. It will help to save the tool, as well as not to harm oneself and the environment.
Filling up your chainsaw
For beginners, the question of how to refuel a chainsaw is especially relevant. But the refueling process itself is not at all complicated. The main task is to make the fuel-oil mixture with the correct proportions. You can find it in the owner’s manual. Before filling, check the information published by the manufacturer to avoid errors in the fuel mix.
Ratio of petrol to oil
The standard oil to gasoline ratio relevant for most chainsaws is 1 to 50. It means that 20 ml of oil should be added to 1 liter of gasoline. However, each manufacturer has its own requirements to the composition of the fuel mixture, which are conditioned by the design of the engine, peculiarities of its parameters and other factors. It is impossible to independently determine which proportions are best for a given tool.
You can only get complete and accurate information from the owner’s manual. If the manual does not contain any explanations regarding the composition of the fuel mixture, it is customary to use a mixing ratio of 1 : 50. There are also other options, from 1 : 20 to 1 : 50.
Figure 3. Oil to petrol ratios for fuel mixture
How to mix the fuel mix correctly?
The mixing process is quite simple. you need to measure a certain amount of oil and pour it into the appropriate volume of gasoline. It is necessary to prepare a clean container in which the mixing will be done. Plastic canisters are commonly used and are quite suitable for this purpose. However, some types have a serious drawback. they accumulate static electricity, which can lead to sparking and ignition of the fuel mixture.
Optimal option is to use special canister with two necks, in which gasoline and oil are poured, but they are quite expensive. Many people use medical syringes with marked divisions for precise dosage of oil. The more carefully you measure the quantity of compound, the longer the tool will last and the better the quality of its work.
Warning! Do not mix gasoline and oil directly in the gasoline tank. Learn more about how to turn on a chainsaw.
Storage conditions for the ready-to-use mixture
Most users tend to prepare fuel mixture beforehand. This is due to time saving. it is considered more correct to mix a large volume once and then simply pour the fuel into the tool’s tank. This point of view is acceptable, but with important limitations. The ready mixture must not be stored for too long, because irreversible changes occur in it.
Ideally, one should only prepare it for one day, but this is considered by many to be too irrational. The allowable storage time depends on the ratio and brand of components. Most experts recommend not storing the mixture for more than 3 months. It is recommended to use metal canisters and keep the mixture under a roof, away from direct sunlight.
Typical malfunctions and repair of Husqvarna brand chain saws
Owners of Husqvarna chain saws rarely have their tools break down. However, if it still happens, you can try to fix the problem with your own hands. How to determine the breakage, and how to repair your Husqvarna chain saw without the help of a master. we will talk in more detail.
Husqvarna Combi Can. Best Chainsaw Gas Can
How to adjust the carburetor on a Husqvarna chainsaw?
In case if the chain saw does not start or it does not develop revolutions. the reason for this is the violation of the factory carburetor settings. For this purpose the tool has 3 screws marked with the letters “H”, “L” and “T”.
To tune your Husqvarna chain saw, follow this order:
- Adjusting the carburetor starts with 5 minutes of warming up the engine. Then turn the “L” screw until you hear the maximum RPM of the chain saw. Then turn the screw immediately a quarter turn in the opposite direction;
- Then squeeze the throttle trigger with one hand for 10 seconds. With your other hand, turn the “H” screw a quarter turn to put as much tension on the motor as possible;
- Then release the throttle trigger and begin to turn the “T” screw in the direction of the clock hand. As soon as the chain starts to turn on the bar, turn the screw back until the chain stops.
How to remove the clutch on a Husqvarna chain saw?
- Remove the air filter and unscrew the spark plug. If necessary, wipe the area near the chainsaw’s spark plug;
- The next step is to remove the sprocket from the Husqvarna chain saw, so that you can carefully inspect the mechanism for blockage;
- The clutch coil is unscrewed in the direction of the clock hand. There is a pressure washer underneath, which must also be removed;
- Finally, the sprocket is replaced and a new clutch is installed. Reassemble your Husqvarna chain saw in the reverse order.
The first few starts of the motor will be accompanied by ringing noises. this is due to the fact that the drive sprocket will rotate until it finally falls into place.
No oil flow to the chain on your Husqvarna chain saw. Reason and Solution
- First you remove the protective cover and the starter spring, then you remove the chainsaw air filter.
- The oil pump is located underneath on the right side and should be inspected for cracks and other damage. Replace the pump if necessary;
- If you notice that the oil hoses are loose from their base, then they also need to be replaced with new parts.
After the new spares are installed you can continue working with the tool. From here on use only quality oil from trusted manufacturers. The correct chain sharpening angle for the Husqvarna chain is important, because it influences how fast the chain runs and how often the chain lubricates the saw.
Engine oil selection criteria
For self-preparation of the combustible mixture, the heat-resistant brand engine oil recommended by the manufacturer is used in a dosed amount.
- The peculiarity of this lubricant is its application in high-speed air-cooled internal combustion engines that are used in chainsaws of domestic and professional class.
- Depending on the season, engine oil of different density, which retains its operational properties in the temperature range indicated on the label is used for the fuel mixture.
- Branded oils are recommended for use, which provide full lubrication of the piston group and crank mechanism in all operating conditions of the power unit.
- Brand name products are differentiated by color. In particular Stiele mineral oils are red, synthetic oils are colored green. Husqvarna brand engine oils are blue or green.
Even considering the lower cost of mineral oils, it is advisable to take advantage of the benefits of synthetic counterparts to prepare a quality fuel mixture.
- Sometimes it is better to overfill a little oil rather than regret. If you give a little more oil than the instructions indicate, no harm will come of it. The formation of fouling is possible in the case of a large amount of oil and in case of non-observance of the specified proportions;
- It is better to store the ready mixture for a month and no more, because for some reason it will lose its qualities;
- Finishing the job correctly. It is obligatory to use or drain the contents of the tank, so you can prolong the work of rubber and plastic seals;
- You should not use moped oil for your chainsaw, because it is designed for low speeds.
The proper operation of your equipment depends entirely on yourself. First, don’t be squeamish about the manufacturers’ directions, or at the very least, the indications on the oil package. This helps to avoid things getting out of hand. Your neighbor doesn’t always know the best way to do it. Cheapness of oil and gasoline is not an indicator of high quality, because a tool breakdown can cost much more (about 80% of the cost of a chainsaw) than the money saved on the fuel mixture.
Practical information for working with your Husqvarna chain saw
Think about how often and what you’ll be using your chainsaw for. For example, if you occasionally saw firewood, and sometimes you need to cut down a tree near your house, there is no need for a professional tool. The 135 and 140 are general-purpose Husqvarna chainsaws, or the more advanced 435, are adequate for the job.
How to learn how to use your chainsaw correctly?
You can learn basic sawing techniques, safety, and maintenance tips from your Husqvarna chainsaw instruction manual, various manuals, or instructional videos. Practical skill only comes with experience.
What safety equipment do I need to operate a chainsaw??
The choice is yours, but we don’t recommend chain saw work without protective pants with chainsaw cut protection, helmet with mask and earphones, boots and gloves with chainsaw cut protection. You should carry a first aid kit and preferably a cell phone.
What kind of fuel should I use, and can I use any chain oil??
Always fill up your Husqvarna chain saw with at least 90 Octane gasoline and original Husqvarna 2-stroke oil in the 1:50 ratio (1 liter. 50 L of 2-stroke oil. benzine). Yes, you can use any high quality chain oil, preferably biodegradable. To prolong the working life of bar and saw chain we recommend to use our original, vegetable-based chain oil, which has been optimized for Husqvarna chain saws.
How the chain should be sharpened? I can do it myself?
The sharp chain easily cuts through the wood and creates clean cuttings (sawdust). As a rule, you should sharpen the chain every time you refuel it. You can do it yourself. Using the Husqvarna sharpening kit is the easiest way to learn how to use your chain saw
Practical information for working with your Husqvarna chain saw
Think about how often and what you will be using your chainsaw for. For example, if you periodically cut firewood, and sometimes you need to cut a tree near your home, then there is no need for a professional tool. You can do that with a Husqvarna chainsaw for household use. the 135 and 140 models, or the more advanced 435 model.
How to learn how to use a chainsaw correctly?
You can learn basic sawing techniques, safety, and maintenance with your Husqvarna chain saw instruction manual, manuals, or instructional videos. Practical skill comes with experience.
What safety equipment do I need to use with a chainsaw??
The choice is yours, but we do not recommend chain saw operation without protective pants with chain saw cut protection, helmet with mask and earphones, boots and gloves with chain saw cut protection. You should carry a first aid kit and preferably a cell phone.
What kind of fuel should I use and can I use any chain oil??
Husqvarna chain saws should always be filled with a mix of gasoline with an octane rating of 90 or higher and genuine Husqvarna 2-stroke oil, in the ratio of 1:50 (1 liter. 2-stroke oil for 50 l. gasoline). Yes, you can use any high quality chain oil, preferably biodegradable. To get the longest bar and chain life we recommend you to use our original, vegetable-based chain oil, which has been optimized for Husqvarna chain saws.
How to sharpen the chain? I can do it myself?
A sharp chain easily cuts through wood and creates clean cuttings (sawdust). As a rule, you need to sharpen the chain every time you refuel it. You can do it yourself. A sharpening kit from Husqvarna is best