Both in construction and in repair, a perforator has become an indispensable assistant. This powerful electric tool, one kind of which already inspires respect, is designed for work in brick and concrete, but just as successfully it can be used for working in wood or metal, just like a conventional drill.
How to work with a hammer drill so that the tool of your choice will serve for many years? Correct operation of the rock drill Not only increases the service life of the tool, but also significantly reduces the risk of injury during its use. It is necessary to use certain methods of work, and not allow to overload the tool, and also monitor its timely prevention.
The impact mode is used for hammering and chiselling, as well as for chipping. The toggle switch is set to strike mode above the hammer mark. The tool must be held with both hands and very firmly. Turn on the puncher. In order for it to be in the right place for the strike, some effort should be made. Great strength is also not needed here, since the result will not improve from this.
Remember that while the punch is in operation, you cannot change its position.
Techniques for working correctly with a punch
1. When working, you must use protective equipment. These include safety glasses, gloves, ear plugs. You need to work in buttoned overalls, removed everything that could accidentally wind up while working on the drill.
2. Do not push hard on the rock drill in the direction of impact or drilling. This is not necessary, since this will not affect the impact force and performance of the tool, but it can fail because of this.
3. The hammer drill should NOT work idle, because in this case the impact energy is absorbed by the mechanisms, and this leads to their additional wear.
4. When working with porous and loose material, it is better to use hammerless drilling to avoid crumbling.
5. When working with materials of increased hardness, it is recommended to use a special lubricant. Machine oil can be used as a lubricant.
6. Working with solids also requires liquid cooling. Special emulsions can act as cutting fluids, grease or machine oil are also used.
7. If it is necessary to use long drills to save money, it is advisable to start drilling with shorter drills of the same diameter.
8. Regularly, every 180-200 holes, it is necessary to Lubricate the drill shanks with grease, first clean them of dust and wipe them with a dry cloth. You can use grease or lithos as a lubricant.
9. To increase the resources of consumables, it is periodically necessary to let the drill cool down and cool the borax in water or machine oil.
10. Necessary Observe the heating of the tool body in the area where the gearbox is located. In case of strong heat, take a break from work until the hammer drill has cooled down. It is not recommended to use water for cooling, as water, if it gets inside the case, may damage the instrument.
11. It is necessary to alternate the periods of work and rest of the instrument. For professional rock drills, it is recommended to take a break of 10 minutes after every 30 minutes of operation.
Impact drilling mode (drilling)
First you need to switch the hammer drill to hammer drilling mode. In this case, the toggle switch is installed above the mark with the image of the drill and hammer. After that, the drill must be located where it is necessary to make a hole, and then turn on the tool.
During drilling, you need to try not to allow the brown skew, and not letting it slide from the desired point. The hammer drill must be held firmly, but not put pressure on it. Light pressure gives optimal results.
When filling the hole with crumbs and dust to clean debris, try to remove the drill bit with no load. This will facilitate further work.
When drilling in concrete, the drill bit may bump into the reinforcement. In order not to lose control of the tool, you need to take into account this possibility even before starting work and immediately practicing a comfortable position, securely holding the perforator.
The tool should first switch to drilling mode, do not allow impact. In this case, the toggle switch is installed opposite the mark, which looks like a drill. After that, you need to place the drill in the right place and turn on the tool using the button. When drilling, it is not necessary to press hard on the perforator, the pressure on it should not be more than five kilograms.
When using drill chucks, the positions counterclockwise rotation and drilling under impact, as this could damage the chuck and cause it to separate from the power tool. To prevent this situation, the punch has added the function blocking blow, designed for drilling various holes in wood or metal.
Before the actual operation of the tool, you must check the mode in which it is located. The rock drill should be idling for about one minute. Pay attention to the operation of the gearbox. There should be no extraneous noise, vibration and knocking. Caution Should also smells of burning or the appearance of smoke. They can appear in the event of a malfunction of the power tool.
How to work with a punch in different modes
Reinforced concrete destruction method
Transient analysis diagram: Fracture index of concrete located in the affected area.
Reinforced differs from the usual special strength. It is impossible to drill holes in it with a puncher. You will need special tools. Powerful drill with diamond bits. Only such a drill can do the job. They can drill holes at any angle. All of the above methods of destruction cannot compete with diamond cutting. To such a drill the high strength of the material will not be a hindrance. It will cut any surface thickness.
If it is necessary to cut a particularly large block, then a diamond wire machine will have to be used. Only a specialist can work on such a machine, it is rather difficult to operate it. The principle of destruction is that the structure to be cut is wrapped in a rope. Cutting takes place under hydraulic pressure. The rate of destruction will depend on the strength. If the case is especially difficult, then approximately 2 m of the structure will be cut in time. Cutting regular concrete is easy. It happens five times faster. Usually the machine is used for cutting concrete, which is more than 1 m thick.
When using this method, the following requirements must be met:
Scheme of a typical solution how to destroy concrete.
- The machine mechanism heats up quickly from constant work and needs to be constantly cooled. Therefore, there should be source with running cold water nearby. Also, water serves as a kind of protection for the diamond coating, prevents its destruction and washes away excess dust formed during operation.
- The three-phase voltage must be maintained at all times, otherwise the equipment will not work.
All of the above methods are effective and widely used. They will help you quickly get rid of unnecessary concrete and start new construction.
Most of domestic and foreign rock drills have three operating modes: drilling, hammer drilling and light chiselling with a hammer drill. Why is the article in light chiselling? Because the site is focused on do-it-yourself apartment and house renovation, and household punchers used for self-repair have an impact force of 1.5 to 3.0 J, unlike industrial ones where the same indicator reaches 30 J.
The household rotary hammer has three operating modes: drilling, hammer drilling and chiseling
Naturally, on industrial construction sites, when chiseling walls up to 40 cm wide, there can be no question of light chiselling. Mostly household punchers are used for chiselling grooves for boxes of sockets and switches, for removing old ceramic tiles, for chipping walls for laying electrical wiring cables.
Removing ceramic tiles with a perforator
If there is a need for repairs in the bathroom, in the toilet or in the kitchen where you need to remove the old ceramic tiles, using a punch will greatly facilitate this process. This is done again with the introduction of a special chisel, insert into a perforator.
At its core, the work is not very difficult: as they say, do not break down, but how carefully everything will be done, in the future, the costs of preparing the surface for laying new tiles depend.
The tile must be removed from the top (if it is a wall) because the weight of the tile will be added to the efforts applied by the operator, which will tend to fall down. If the old material is difficult to remove, it is necessary to break the tiles into several fragments with a hammer and remove the fragments separately.
Protective equipment when working with a hammer drill
When working with a perforator in all cases, Use personal protective equipment: glasses, gloves, a gauze bandage to protect the upper respiratory tract. And when removing old ceramic tiles from the floor or from the wall, it is advisable to protect the face with a special transparent shield, and the body with reliable clothing. Do not forget that the surface layer of a tile, when destroyed, forms small particles, which in their properties are close to glass.
The hammer drill was invented in 1851 as a tool for the mining industry. In 1932, Bosch presented the first electromechanical impact hammer drill for construction work in Germany. Since then, Bosch Hummers have been mass-produced, and other companies have acquired production licenses. The main functions of the rock drill are drilling, drilling and hammering. How to use a puncher correctly when performing various types of work?
Reverse function allows you to switch the direction of rotation of the chuck in different directions.
Often, when drilling reinforced concrete structures, storms run into reinforcement and enter Clinch with it. In order to release it, a reverse switch is provided, which makes it possible to turn the storms in the opposite direction and continue drilling, bypassing the reinforcement. Usually the reverse button is located directly next to the start button of the unit.
The reverse mode turns the hammer drill into a screwdriver, which can be used to tighten and unscrew bolts, nuts and screws of any size and configuration.
Where else can we use a puncher
The scope of the rotary hammer is NOT limited to working with concrete or stone. Wherever striking technique is required, this versatile apparatus can be used.
Wall slitting for electrical wiring cables
Of course, the ideal option when chasing walls for electrical wiring cables would be to use a Wall cutter, but if you do not have one, but you have a puncher and an angle grinder, you can completely do without it (Wall cutter).
Slitting with a special attachment
To begin with, the mowing lines are marked on the surface of the wall and then, using these marks, an angle grinder with a disc on the concrete is used to make grooves of the desired size along the entire length of the mowing line. When the grooves are finished, the chisel-blade is taken, inserted into the hammer drill and the waste concrete is selected between the two grooves of the recesses.
Removing the working tool
To remove the drill or bit after work or for replacement, you must:
- Wait until the chuck has stopped rotating.
- Pull the chuck base down until it stops.
- Remove the drill from the chuck.
- Release the chuck base.
What the tool can do
The following main operating modes of the punch are distinguished:
- Rotation kick. Allows you to drill a concrete wall;
- Impact without rotation. To hammer in concrete;
- Rotation without impact. With drill attachment allows you to drill like a drill.
Those who often work with a puncher know that in addition to drilling and chiselling walls, such a tool can be used to groove walls for wiring. Making a slab in concrete using this tool is quite simple. First, a number of holes are drilled along the marked lines. Then Pico or a spatula breaks the jumpers between the holes. This use of a punch is atypical, but allows you to refuse to purchase additional tools.
What the puncher consists of
The controls are located on the body of the tool, as can be seen in the following photo:
The internal structure of the perforator cannot be understood without disassembling it. The following main components are hidden in the plastic case:
- Electric motor;
- Safety clutch;
- Drunk bearing;
- Flying piston;
The principle of operation of the hammer drill consists in converting the rotation of the electric motor into the shock-rotational movement of the nozzles. The electric motor drives the rest of the hammer drill mechanism. The safety clutch ensures the safety of specialists during work. The drunken bearing drives the piston, creating an impact force, and the chuck secures the nozzles. Now let’s talk in more detail about each of THESE nodes.
How the puncher works and works
In a home craftsman‘s set, you can almost always find a puncher. Replaceable attachments make this tool versatile and indispensable. Let’s take a closer look at what nodes it consists of, and how to work correctly.
The percussion mechanism in the construction of rock drills is of two types:
The most widespread is the electro-pneumatic version. Drunk (swinging) bearing and piston together make up the hammer hammer mechanism.
When the main shaft rotates, the swinging bearing makes translational movements, transferring the force to the ram of the pneumatic cylinder. The air in the cylinder pushes the piston with the striker. The working part of the chuck is exposed to the impact of the striker, clamped in the chuck of storms hits the material being processed.
To stop the rotation of the chuck if the working nozzle is jammed, a safety clutch is installed in the hammer drills. This is a necessary element without using it, a powerful tool turns out of the hands, the continuation of independent rotation of the hammer drill easily leads to injury to the worker. In rotary hammers, two main types of clutch devices are used: friction or cam.
- Under normal operating conditions, the friction clutch discs are firmly pressed together. This is how the force of rotation is transferred to the rest of the mechanism. If the rotation is difficult, the discs slip, and do not overload the electric drive.
- In the cam clutch, both halves have beveled projections that fit into the grooves of the counterpart. The half-couplings are connected with a spring of a certain stiffness. If the force on the impact mechanism exceeds the pressure of the spring, the tabs will come out of the slots, disengaging the clutch. During this, a characteristic rattle is heard, for which the cam clutch is often called a ratchet.
The chuck for the hammer drill is designed in such a way that the user has the opportunity to quickly change the nozzle, and not take long breaks in work. We are talking about two main types of cartridges:
Tool shank for SDS-plus chuck is clamped with two locking balls.
SDS-max chucks accept tools with different shanks for more secure clamping.