Polymer glue is convenient because it does not leave behind greasy marks. The principle is the same as with liquid nails: we glue a heavy picture around the entire perimeter, and a light one only around the edges. For better adhesion to the surface, the frame must be pressed well and even left for a day, propped up with something.
✅ IKEA Lack shelf no drilling no nails on wall
The wine cork is cut into circles about 1 cm thick and glued to the wall with quick-drying glue (Moment or BF-2 glue). After the glue dries, a small carnation is stuck into this cork, on which the picture is hung.
How to hang a painting on a wall without drilling a wall: paperclip or clothes hook
If you have wallpaper on the wall, make a small horizontal cut in it, fill that spot with superglue and place a crocheted paperclip or a regular clothes hook there, then cover the cut with wallpaper. Step-by-step instructions for “implanting” a paper clip into the wallpaper can be read here.
Command’s special Velcro technology allows them to be glued to almost any surface and can easily hang pictures weighing up to 2 kg on them. The advantage of this brand of velcro is that they can be easily removed without damaging the walls. They are sold in a set of several strips: one strip is glued to the frame, the other to the wall. The more stripes, the heavier the painting can be..
This method is suitable for walls with thin paper wallpaper or drywall partitions. Simply tape the edges of the frame with regular double-sided tape and attach to the wall. True, the disadvantage of this method is that the tape can leave marks on the wall; to prevent this from happening, it is recommended to keep the tape at 90 degrees in relation to the wall when removing the picture.
This method is similar to the previous one. Here, too, the very base “hides under the wallpaper” and is glued, and the protruding part acts as a carnation on which you can hang a not very heavy picture. In the video below, you can learn how to effectively hide the button base behind the wallpaper..
Liquid nails are special glue that bonds surfaces securely. Just apply liquid nails on the back of the frame in small dots (if the picture is heavy, you can smear the entire frame). Then press the painting flat against the wall surface and hold it for a few seconds..
Another way to place light paintings is to stick a sewing needle into the wall. For example, you can gently drive a tailor’s pin with a head into the wallpaper at an angle. Another option: break off the eyelet of the sewing needle with pliers and simply drive it into the wall with a sharp end. Thus, the hole in the wall is small and inconspicuous, unlike nails or screws. At the same time with ama a needle, steel and durable, reliably holds the frame.
How to hang a painting and other objects on a drywall wall?
- Features of the
- What can be fixed?
- In the kitchen
- In bathroom
- In the hall
- Tips and mistakes
- Successful examples and options
In modern interior design, plasterboard wall decoration is quite common. With the help of gypsum board, walls are aligned, niches, partitions and even cabinets with shelves are created. Working with drywall sheets does not require special skills, the material itself is simple, lightweight and economical, and the result always looks neat.
Features of the
In fact, a gypsum plasterboard is a solid gypsum board pasted over with thick cardboard. The cardboard protects the panel from cracking and spilling, and also allows screws and self-tapping screws to be screwed into the panel. When, after repair, it is necessary to arrange furniture, household appliances and other interior items, the question arises of how exactly to hang a heavy TV or shelf, because the drywall sheet itself is quite fragile, it will not withstand something heavier than a photo frame.
It seems that there is no way out of this situation, however, if you evaluate all the advantages and disadvantages of a particular fastening system and choose the right one, you can always find a way to place even the heaviest structure on such a wall..
Tips and mistakes
A beginner who has not previously encountered a solution to such problems can easily overlook some important details:
- When installing mortgages, you will have to photograph the finished work from different angles or draw up a plan-diagram so as not to forget the exact location of their location. Otherwise, it is very easy to miss the specially set mortgage.
- Do not hang very heavy objects on the dowels, even if they reach brickwork or concrete. Even the strongest dowel will eventually bend and deform the gypsum board, so it is necessary to use anchoring.
- For any fastening, it is better to use several dowels or anchors – this way the load will be distributed more evenly, and the probability of fastening falling out will be significantly lower.
- If the drywall is not yet covered with wallpaper and painted, you can clearly see the location of the metal profile at the joints of the sheets. Unlike the coating itself, the profiles are made of metal, they are less susceptible to deformation, so a heavy object can be hung on the wall by screwing the mount exactly into the metal base.
- It is always better for a beginner to choose a more secure mount, even if you only have to hang a small picture or a shelf with a flower pot..
In the kitchen
Most often, the problem of fixing certain items on the gypsum board arises when placing furniture in the kitchen. To save space, part of the kitchen set is hung on the wall above the work surface. Even the lightest box weighs about 7-15 kilograms, and various dishes, food and other household items are also placed in it. Thus, the average weight of a filled kitchen cabinet is from 20 to 50 kilograms, depending on the material of the furniture itself..
Such a weight can withstand the anchorage, or it is necessary to make wooden mortgages in advance behind the walls of plasterboard in those places where it is planned to hang the upper boxes.
For medium-weight items such as a chandelier, open shelves or paintings decorated with a wooden molding, you can use a “driva” or “hartmut”. For attaching small, light objects such as curtain rods, curtains or wall clocks, a butterfly or umbrella will suffice. Ordinary U-dowels can be used to hang portraits of family members or friends. It is also very convenient to fix the plinths on the plasterboard wall with ordinary dowels, since the use of glue can destroy the cardboard layer that keeps the gypsum in a dry pressed state..
In the hall
In the hallway, there are usually no heavy objects that require hanging on the wall. As a rule, all furniture is placed on the floor: a wardrobe, a bench or a shoe rack. A small lamp and a hanger are attached to the wall, but ordinary dowels or “umbrellas” are enough for them. In some cases, a horizontal bar can be hung, for which pre-laying or anchoring is required.
What can be fixed?
Experienced builders claim that a plasterboard wall can withstand a load of up to 55 kilograms per fastener, it is only important to choose the right fastener. There are several types of fastening systems used when decorating a plasterboard room. Most often, various dowels are used, which are screwed only into the drywall itself, without reaching the wall behind it.
Various devices allow the plastic, nylon or iron part of the dowel to open in the void behind the gypsum board and press against it from the reverse side, which significantly increases the strength of such an attachment.
Types of dowels that allow you to hang an object weighing no more than 35 kilograms:
- universal dowel (withstands a load of up to 3 kg);
- dowel “drive” (up to 30 kg);
- dowel “umbrella” (no more than 6 kg);
- dowel “butterfly” (withstands a load of up to 10 kg);
- dowel “hartmuth” or “mol” (within 35 kg).
If necessary, hang an object weighing more than 35 kilograms, it is not enough to use a dowel as an attachment – additional installation of auxiliary elements is required.
- Installation of mortgages. In this case, it is necessary in advance, even before installing the drywall walls, to outline the places where this or that equipment and furniture will hang. In these places, a wooden beam or shield is attached to the concrete, into which the fastening mechanisms behind the drywall will then be screwed.
For all its reliability, mortgages have one big drawback: it is necessary to plan in advance the entire environment of the room in order to take into account where and at what height to fix the timber to the gypsum board.
- Installation of a horizontal bus. Some sets of modern furniture sets include a special metal strip with holes for fasteners and folds for hanging shelves and cabinets. It is mounted along the entire length of the wall and allows you to more evenly distribute the load on the drywall.
It is also advisable to mount such a tire on a wooden beam or metal profile pre-laid behind the drywall, or use anchor bolts to fasten the tire itself..
- Anchor fasteners. This type of fastener is only suitable for solid walls, not plasterboard partitions. When installing the anchor, a small hole is cut out in the plasterboard wall, which allows you to drill a concrete wall with a puncher and insert a metal dowel into it, into which the anchor bolt itself is screwed.
This mount is the strongest and allows you to hang even the most heavy household appliances and massive kitchen cabinets on the walls. At the same time, it is also the most expensive in terms of installation time and the price of materials..
If it is necessary to place small decorative elements in the form of a mirror, shelves or a picture on the wall, you can use a universal dowel or the “drive” model. Before using a regular dowel, you need to drill a hole with a diameter of 8 millimeters, insert a polypropylene part and screw in the self-tapping screw itself. The plastic part expands during the screwing in of the metal and adheres firmly to the drywall.
Unlike the universal one, the “drive” dowel does not require a screwdriver or drill. It is screwed directly into the gypsum board without pre-drilling holes. Most often, a plastic version of the product is used to prevent the drywall from crumbling or cracking..
For hanging medium-heavy objects on a plasterboard wall, the “umbrella” dowel is perfect. Made of metal in the form of a hook or a simple screw, it opens up behind the drywall like the spokes of an umbrella and distributes the load on the gypsum board evenly. In order to install such a mount, you need to drill a hole into which you need to insert the fastener and screw the screw itself. Such fasteners will be an excellent solution in order to hang a sconce or a chandelier..
The butterfly dowel is made of nylon. When screwing a self-tapping screw into it, it opens in two directions, like open wings, and rests on the seamy side of the drywall, for which it got its name.
The strongest are the “mole” and “hartmuth” dowels. The first is a metal structure with side slots and a screw screwing into it. In the gypsum board, it is necessary to drill a hole with a drill, suitable for the size of the dowel, slightly bend the wings of the “moth” and screw it all the way into the hole. To fasten the Hartmut dowel, you need to drill a hole with a diameter of 13 millimeters and insert the fasteners into it with the spacer folded down. Then the dowel is pulled out, and the spacer part, opening up, is pressed against the wrong side of the gypsum board. It is necessary to fix it and break off the excess.
The biggest problem with plasterboard mounting in a bathroom is wall-mounted water heaters. There are two types of water heaters: flow and storage. There should be no problems with the mounting of a flow-through boiler, since it weighs on average up to 10 kilograms and is mounted using dowels of the “butterfly” or “drive” type. However, such water heaters have a significantly higher price and consumption of electricity, therefore, storage boilers are most often used in bathrooms. The average weight of such a drive varies between 80-100 kilograms – not a single drywall wall can withstand it..
It is possible to reduce the load on the gypsum board by using the methods of pre-laying or installation on a pre-installed metal reinforcement. Both methods can be used only if you know exactly the dimensions and weight of the purchased water heater even before installing the plasterboard coating. If the repair has already been done, and it is necessary to hang the heater, a chemical anchor can come to the rescue. This method of fastening is implemented using a special chemical solution similar to polyurethane foam. Expanding and freezing, this solution firmly fixes a metal pin inserted into it, on which an apparatus weighing 80 kilograms can be hung.
You can also hang the sink and fix the cabinet above it with the help of a “driva” or “hartmouth”, and for a shelf and a mirror you can use, for example, a “butterfly” dowel.
The nuances of invisible fasteners
It makes no sense to talk in detail about this method of mounting wall shelves if you carefully understand only 3 main questions.
- The thickness of the wall to be used. Installation by invisible fastening is possible in situations where it is a brick or concrete wall. Moreover, the concrete partition should have a minimum thickness of 105 mm, and the brick one – 250 mm. If the parameters are smaller, you will have to use additional elements. Cinder block and plasterboard walls less than 100 mm thick are suitable only when hanging decorative shelves, on which the load is not provided, or it is minimal;
- The thickness of the shelf itself. It is not recommended to use shelves that are too thin or too massive. The material should not bend, must be dry and with a high-quality finish. If the load on the shelf is minimal, the thickness is chosen from 30 mm. If the shelf is for books and other heavier items, the thickness is taken within 45-60 mm;
- Fastening. Fasteners are chosen based on 2 points and the destination of the shelf itself. Invisible fixings are made in the form of a hinge and a rod. The loop is mounted on the back of the shelf, markings are made. A hole is made in the wall, a cork is inserted inside. Then, to the desired depth, it remains to screw in a screw or self-tapping screw, and put loops on them.
Be sure to consider the expected load to avoid unnecessary problems. The higher the load, the more hidden mounts you need to use. Remember the sense of proportion.
How to hang a shelf on a wall: the best mounting method
Hello everyone! The creation of a beautiful and practical interior in a frame house, in a country house or in an ordinary high-rise building often becomes the task of the direct homeowner. One of the pressing questions is how to hang the shelf on the wall..
This procedure may seem extremely simple and mundane. But not everyone knows how to act so that the fasteners are not visible, or how to do it right if the walls are made of PVC, that is, from plastic panels, from bricks, from shingles, from lining and other common materials.
Today I will try to answer key questions, talk about the features of the installation of shelves and about the existing installation methods. You can get some answers from the video. And if questions still remain, you can always ask them in the comments..
To begin with, you can do without a drill or a punch, as a tool for installing shelves, only when installing light decorative structures on soft walls, which can be corny to go through with a self-tapping screw and a screwdriver.
But it is usually required to use an auxiliary power tool. Especially when you need to install a heavy shelf that will be exposed to a decent wall load:
- from drywall;
- from concrete;
- from aerated concrete;
- from foam blocks;
- wooden, etc..
The first step is to pay attention to the material from which the walls are made. Here it will already be clearer to you whether you can do without drilling the wall, or not.
In the planning process for fixing the shelves to the wall, the type or method of fixing plays a key role. For this, you need to study the installation options in order to choose the most acceptable and suitable for you..
- No visible fixings. This is a hidden fastener that allows you to make the fasteners invisible, and make the shelves themselves light and elegant. Suitable for brick, concrete, foam and aerated concrete walls. If this is a plasterboard partition with a thickness of less than 10 cm, it is better not to use installation with invisible fasteners;
- On brackets. They cannot be hidden, and therefore the brackets will remain visible. To save money, some are attached to corners made of plastic or metal. But to create a beautiful interior, it is better to use the appropriate brackets. Visible brackets are not suitable for all interior styles;
- With the help of holders. Relevant for glass shelves. There are gaskets based on rubber or silicone that protect the glass from breaking. Shelf holders come in a variety of styles and configurations, including suction cup options;
- On hinges and corners. The most common and easiest way to implement. By using hinges and corners of certain sizes, you can reduce or increase the load that the shelf can withstand. Fastening is carried out using guides or on metal racks;
- Through the bar. Relevant for hollow walls, where it is not possible to fix the shelf directly to the wall. First, a strip of metal or wood is mounted, and the shelf itself is already fixed to it. Suitable for those whose walls are made of thin drywall, hollow brick and other similar materials. Here it is important to fix the bar at the maximum number of points. Some fasteners will go into the void, but others will definitely catch on. It will not be superfluous to know in advance about the location of the partitions..
The greatest number of questions is caused by fastening with invisible fasteners, as well as working with plasterboard walls. They are offered to be considered separately..
Working with plasterboard walls
Installing a shelf, and even heavy enough to accommodate heavy objects in the presence of plasterboard walls, is not so easy. But even from this situation, you can find a way out..
Experts offer several options for installing shelves on such walls..
- With the help of embedded beams. It is considered the best option. They are mounted directly to the plasterboard when mounted to the wall. The bars are fixed in the area where the shelves will be located;
- Wall mounting. The option is not the most difficult one. Here you will need to purchase Molly fasteners, umbrellas or butterfly dowels. They easily fit into the wall, do not scroll and allow you to hold a shelf with additional weight on them;
- Through profiles. Through holes are made in the section of passage of the metal profile. Self-tapping screws are chosen about 5-6 mm longer than a drywall sheet. Next, the shelf is installed on the wall;
- Using anchor fittings. This option is suitable for those who need shelf installations that will withstand heavy loads. Here you will need to make a hole, insert a plug and thereby secure the reinforcement.
I cannot say that the installation of the shelf is something really difficult and impossible, even with the hands of a beginner. But you still need to adhere to certain rules..
How to Install Walnut Floating Shelves WITHOUT a Drill
How are you doing with the installation of shelves? What difficulties and problems did you encounter in the course of work? How did you solve these problems and what solutions did you find out of the difficult situation? Write about it in the comments.
Thanks everyone for your attention! Subscribe, ask current questions, invite your friends to us and wait for a lot of new materials on our website!
On a brick wall
It is most convenient to hang a shelf on a brick wall using dowel nails. Here are the steps to take:
- fasten the selected fasteners to the product;
- attach it to the wall and draw the location of the holes with a marker or pencil;
- drill holes in the wall at the place of the marks;
- insert a dowel into them;
- attach a shelf to the wall;
- insert the tip of the nail into the dowel through the holes of the fastener;
- gently hammer in the nail;
- when the nail enters the wall almost completely, tighten it with a screwdriver (this is necessary so as not to damage the piece of furniture with a hammer).
Instead of dowel nails, you can use dowel screws. They are somewhat more reliable. It should be remembered that they must not be hammered in. Screws can only be screwed into the dowel with a screwdriver.
Installing a shelf with hidden fixing
In order to attach a shelf with an invisible fastening system, you will need to perform the following steps:
- measure the distance between the holes of the shelf, where the fastener pins will enter;
- place fasteners near the wall at the same distance from each other;
- draw points in the holes with a marker or pencil;
- drill holes in their place with a drill;
- insert dowels there;
- place fasteners on top of them;
- hammer in a nail when it remains very little to tighten it with a screwdriver;
- put the shelf on the pins of the fixed hinge.
As a result, we get a wall-mounted interior item without visible fasteners..
On a concrete wall
In general, the procedure for fastening to a concrete wall does not differ from that for a brick one. However, there are some nuances to keep in mind..
- You only need to use a concrete drill. This material is stronger than brick, so making a hole in it is more difficult. In addition, concrete is often reinforced with reinforcement. When colliding with it, the brick drill will simply break..
- Drill carefully. Despite its strength, concrete is easy to crumble. In this case, in order to securely hold the shelf, the crumbled place will have to be restored with plaster..
- If the concrete wall is too dense and poorly drilled, a concrete nail can be used. It does not require the use of a drill. It is substituted to the required surface and several blows are made with a hammer. In this case, you must be extremely careful not to damage the shelf and fasteners..
Required tools and materials
In order to fix the shelf on the wall, you will need the following materials
- dowel-nail (or screw with dowel);
- fasteners of a suitable type;
- the shelf itself.
You will also need tools:
- marker or pencil.
How to hang a shelf on the wall with your own hands
Both the homemade and the factory shelf needs to be wall-mounted. Let’s talk in more detail how to make it have the most attractive appearance and maximum durability..
- Shelf attachment methods
- Required tools and materials
- How to hang a shelf
- On a brick wall
- On a concrete wall
- On drywall
- Installing a shelf with hidden fixing
- Useful Tips
How to hang a shelf
Consider the procedure for attaching a shelf to walls made of various materials.
If the walls are finished with plasterboard, it will not work to fix the decor item on the dowel-nail. Indeed, in this material, he simply will not hold out. Use:
- ordinary screws;
- butterfly fasteners.
With ordinary screws, everything is simple – they are simply screwed into the drywall surface. If they fit too tight, you can drill holes in the screw-in points with a drill before starting work. Their diameter should be 2-3 less than the diameter of the screws used..
The butterfly fastener is a bolt with a drop-down spring-loaded stopper instead of a head. It is used if it is planned to create a load of more than 5 kilograms on the shelf. A screw simply cannot withstand such a weight. To fix the product with the “butterfly”, you will need to do the following:
- attach the selected fasteners to the shelf;
- attach it to the wall and draw the location of the holes with a marker or pencil;
- drill holes in the wall at the place of the marks;
- fold the butterfly stopper and insert it into the hole;
- when the stopper has opened under a layer of drywall, adjust the length of the protruding part with a thread by twisting or unscrewing;
- put the holes of the fasteners on the protruding parts of the “butterfly”;
- screw the complete nuts onto the thread.
Shelf attachment methods
There are several common ways to mount a shelf on the wall..
Choosing a place to install the shelf
First of all, it is necessary to clearly determine the place of installation of the shelf, based on its purpose. Bookshelves differ in depth from indoor flower shelves. Take a shelf of the correct size and attach it to the wall where you want to install it. Place the shelf horizontally on the level and mark the bottom edge of the shelf on the wall..
How to drill a hole in a tile
Before making holes in the tiles, check if the shelf can be installed by drilling holes between the tiles. At the same time, you will not damage the tiles and you can be sure that the shelf is installed strictly horizontally. If you still need to drill the tiles, mark the hole point on the masking tape glued to the tile crosswise. This will prevent the drill from slipping. The drilled hole should be slightly longer than the dowel as it must be recessed into the tile. With this fit of the dowel, the tile will not crack when screwing in the screw.
How to hang a shelf
Shelves not only provide additional storage space, but also serve as a decorative function (like bookshelves). Shelves can be made of different materials, different colors and sizes. You can get creative with the choice of shelf holders – the corner brackets discussed in our example are just one of the options..
It is important
Before you start drilling holes in the walls, make sure that there are no water pipes, gas pipes or electrical wires in the place marked for the hole in the wall. Special electronic detectors available for detecting hidden wiring or cables.
Marking holes on the wall
Place the support against the wall so that its top surface is flush with the line you marked with the pencil (see Step 1). Mark the first hole, check the verticality of the support, then mark the rest of the holes. Mark the holes of the other support in the same way..
Determine the number of supports
The weight of the shelf will be distributed over two or more supports mounted on the wall with screws. The distance between the supports should not be too great so that the shelf does not sag in the middle. The number of supports depends on the length of the shelf and the load placed on it. For a 16 mm chipboard shelf, the optimum distance between supports is 40.60 cm.For an 18 mm shelf made of solid wood or MDF, the distance between supports is 50 to 70 cm, and for multiplex material it can be increased to 90 cm.
Choosing screws based on the wall material
When drilling holes, always use the type of drill designed for the material of which the wall is made. To fix the legs with a small shoulder, use the screws 45×4 mm, for the legs with an extended shoulder. 45×6 mm. To install shelves on walls made of plaster or foam concrete, you will need to use special dowels.
A wide variety of materials can be used for wall shelves:
- GKL. Designers often use drywall in interior design, especially if one of the main places in the room is assigned to shelves made of this material..
- Wood. Most often used for balcony shelves. Working with him is not difficult, and he has a small mass. When used correctly, these shelves can last a very long time..
- Chipboard or chipboard. Moisture-resistant material, withstands temperature drops, wear-resistant.
- Glass. It is very common in use. Glass shelves look very fashionable.
- Plastic. Generally available material, as it is inexpensive, not susceptible to mold.
- Metal. When working with him, you will definitely need a welding machine..
Then the screws are screwed in to a sufficient depth and hinges are put on them..
If necessary, we carry out the adjustment.
Of the tools you will need: a level, a drill, or better a puncher, a screwdriver, dowels, self-tapping screws, a jigsaw, carpentry glue, a fixing set, a set of drills, a pencil, a hammer, for anchor bolts – a wrench.
If you use metal rods, you need to remember that the diameter of the fastener should be 10-12.
Upon completion of all stages of work, we attach the shelf.
Mounting methods for wall shelves
When planning wall shelves, the type of fixing is decisive. Having familiarized yourself with the fastening method, you can easily choose the option that suits you..
With invisible attachment. By choosing this look, you will hide the fasteners, and the wall structure will look light and graceful, no matter what room it is hung in. It is desirable that the wall is concrete or brick. Plasterboard wall partitions less than 10 cm are not recommended.
How to properly fix the shelf on the wall so that it fits perfectly into the interior?
A wide variety of materials can be used for wall shelves.
With brackets. In this case, you will not hide all the elements, they will always be visible. You can save money by purchasing metal or plastic corners. If you want to add beauty and originality to the interior item, buy decorative fasteners, but always in pairs. It is necessary to take into account an important point – the brackets are not suitable for every interior..
They are attached absolutely in any room..
Working with him is not difficult, and his mass is small.
For glass shelf holders. In such fasteners, rubber or silicone gaskets are used to protect the plane at the attachment point. Shelf supports can be of various sizes and shapes, there are options for suction cups. They are attached from the bottom, and the top surface remains open.
Anyone will do this work, there would be a desire.
How to attach a shelf to a wall?
With hinges and corners. This is the most common method – easy, zealous, does not take much time, and will fit into any environment. The format of hinges or corners allows a decrease or increase in the load on the shelf. Fastening to rails or metal posts. Not all types you can apply in practice on your own. In some cases, it is worth contacting specialists.
When planning wall shelves, the type of fixing is decisive.
To hang a shelf on a brick or concrete wall, you need to make markings using a level.
How to attach the shelf to the wall yourself
It is good when the house or apartment is tastefully furnished. You come home from work and plunge into a cozy atmosphere. But there are feelings that something is missing, there are definitely places where you need to hang something. Maybe a cabinet, but it somehow does not fit into the interior or does not fit in size. Then the best option would be a shelf. It will perfectly match the general atmosphere in the house and, importantly, will help to save a lot of space..
You can keep various items, literature on the shelves.
After it has completely solidified, a shelf is put on the pins..
You can keep various items and literature on the shelves. They are attached absolutely in any room. How to fix the shelf correctly on the wall so that it fits perfectly into the interior? It is not difficult as it might seem. Anyone will do this work, there would be a desire.
Fastening shelves to the wall without visible fasteners
There are a number of points that you need to read in order to hang the shelf in an invisible way..
- Wall thickness. The installation of the shelf on an invisible mount should be carried out if the thickness of the brick partition is 250 mm, and of the concrete one – 105 mm. If the dimensions are less than the given data, then additional details will be needed. When the wall is made of drywall or cinder blocks, and the thickness does not exceed 100 mm, then invisible fasteners are acceptable if the shelf is used as a decoration and there will be light objects on it.
- Shelf thickness. It should not be massive or, on the contrary, thin. It is desirable that the material does not sag, is dry and has a good finish. If there are light things on the shelf, then the thickness of the shelf should be at least 30 mm, you will store literature or heavier utensils – not exceed 60 mm, but not less than 45 mm.
- Selection of fasteners. To choose the right mount, you need to take into account the second point, and also know what function is intended for the shelf. The invisible mount consists of hinges and metal rods. The loops are attached to the back of the shelf, and the markings are made. Using the necessary tool, holes are made in the wall and a plug is inserted there. Then the screws are screwed in to a sufficient depth and hinges are put on them..
If you use metal rods, you need to remember that the diameter of the fastener should be 10-12. The first step is to find out what the length and width of the shelf is. Mark this data on the wall, drill holes. The same holes will need to be made on the shelf. The required number of pins will be required depending on the load. They are inserted into the wall half the length of the hole and fixed with glue. After it has completely solidified, a shelf is put on the pins..
Having familiarized yourself with the fastening method, you can easily choose the option that suits you..
We make the necessary holes with a puncher.
Fixing the shelf to the plasterboard wall
There are various types of plasterboard wall mountings. Here is some of them:
- Embedded beams are the optimal variation. Attached directly to the gypsum board when mounted to the wall. The bars of the required thickness are fixed in the place where you will mount shelves or appliances.
- Fasteners are carried out to the gypsum board. This option is not difficult, since the fixation elements – butterfly dowels, umbrellas, Molly fasteners – easily pass through the plane and screw into the wall.
- Using profiles. In this case, you will need a magnet, preferably a powerful one, this will ensure the strength of the fastening. In the place where the metal profile passes, make holes through and through. The self-tapping screw should be 5-6 mm longer than the thickness of the GKL sheet. Then we fix the shelf to the plasterboard wall..
- Anchor fittings. Used to attach shelves that can support a significant weight. Their diameter should be between 6 mm and 1 cm.
Using the necessary tool, holes are made in the wall and a plug is inserted there..
We make sure that the drill and hardware are the same size.
Fastening process: step by step instructions
How do I attach the shelf to the wall? Before starting work on the installation of the shelf, you need to remember that the holes in the shelf from the rear side are made 5 mm lower, and also make sure that the holes on the shelf and on the wall completely coincide.
First of all, you will find out what is the length and width of the shelf..
Positioning the shelf, align it with the fasteners.
To hang a shelf on a brick or concrete wall, you need to make markings using a level. We make the necessary holes with a puncher. We carry out the work carefully, avoiding chips on the wall. We make sure that the drill and hardware are the same size. Then we attach the fastening elements, we check the building level. If necessary, we carry out the adjustment.
Depending on what the load will be, the right number of pins will be required.
Using bolts and nuts, self-tapping screws or screws, we fix the shelf.
They are inserted into the wall half the length of the hole and fixed with glue..