How to insert new line into a lawn mower?
Be sure to turn off the engine and unplug the machine before winding the line on the reel of the lawn mower.
- Find the lock button on the tool and, while holding it down, turn the cover. Remove the body cover, remove the spool and remove the remnants of the old line.
- The new thread must be inserted into the receiver on the spool and trimmed so that the ends are equal.
- Once the pieces are aligned, you can wind them around the reel of the lawnmower. You need to leave the ends with a length of 10 cm.
- One of them is inserted into the mounting holder, and the second one rolls up another half turn and is fixed in the opposite holder.
- Then you can place the spool in the body and pull the threads out. After you have loaded the line into the mower, you can close the housing cover and secure it carefully.
Thread head assembly
Before threading the line into the mower. it is necessary to turn off the engine and remove the plug from the mains. The head on which the thread is wound should be unscrewed in the direction indicated on the unit.
If the mower has a line winding guard, it must be removed. When removing, you can use a screwdriver to guide the thread head in the desired direction. All actions must be performed carefully so as not to damage the equipment.
How to put line in a lawn mower?
Installing line into the reel of a lawn mower is not an easy task. You will need to be careful not to damage the delicate parts of the equipment or to tangle or break the thread. In order to properly fill the line in the lawn mower, it is necessary to perform all actions as written in the operating instructions.
How to Replace a Pull String on a Push Mower : Lawnmower Maintenance & Repair
This article provides general rules that are suitable for most units.
If the line is loose on the spool, the performance of the mower will decrease. In such cases, you can increase efficiency by adjusting the thread on the machine.
Most tools have a dedicated button for optimally winding the line around the mower’s spool. But the adjustment may not work if the thread comes out more than 3 cm. In this case, the ends that are too long are automatically trimmed with a special blade. But if the length is less than 3 cm, the adjustment must be done manually. To do this, you need to hold down the adjustment button and pull the thread strongly towards you.
How to Tuck Line in a Grass Trimmer: A Few Simple Tips
Thanks to modern power tools, a person is given a lot of opportunities to reduce manual labor. Among these innovations is the grass trimmer, which greatly simplifies the process of mowing grass and lawn care. This device reduces the time for gardening work, turning difficult physical work into entertainment. The trimmer uses a fishing line as a cutting tool. It stretches strongly and thus mows grass of almost any height. It is quite easy to operate a power tool, but the problem arises when the cutting material runs out. Not everyone will immediately figure out how to tuck the line into a grass trimmer. Although this is a simple operation, it is not always clear to a person who is faced with this task for the first time how to properly wind it on a reel. over, the instructions do not contain information on how to choose and replace the trimmer line.
How to quickly and correctly tuck the line into the grass trimmer?
Once you figure out how to change the cutting material, the further use and maintenance of the electric trimmer will be greatly simplified. To wind the line for the grass trimmer, several operations must be performed, namely:
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right. You will have a head with the remnants of an old thread in your hands. Open it with a screwdriver, or wring out the latch and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. This operation should be carried out carefully, since there is a spring inside, which, straightening, can throw out all the internal parts of the drum. To change the line in the trimmer, you need to take out the spool and remove the rest of the material.
- Take 5 meters of new thread and fold it in half. There is a hole in the middle of the spool where you need to insert the material. There is also an arrow indicating the direction to reel in the grass trimmer line. It is important to consider some points. If there are two holes in the spool, then thread half of the grass trimmer line in one direction and the other in the opposite direction. When finishing inserting the material, it is better to leave 15-20 cm free.
- Assemble the drum, reinstall the spring and washers. Then, while holding the spool, thread the ends of the line into the holes on the sides of the nozzle. Then put the head in place, pulling on the cutting material.
Preparation. remove and disassemble the spool
On most electric and petrol trims, you will need to remove the spool to replace the line. The FUBAG tool (electric and petrol trimmers) allows you to skip this step. To make the instruction universal, we will still consider it in detail:
Secure the shaft. Insert the locking element into the corresponding hole. It can be a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
Unscrew the bobbin case. In our example, strictly clockwise.
Unscrew the cover according to the direction indicated on the body.
The preparatory stage has been passed. You can proceed to winding the fishing line.
How to choose a fishing line. length, diameter, restrictions
IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line or metal cables for the grass trimmer. This replacement is ineffective and dangerous. The rope can injure not only the mower himself, but also those around him.
In terms of length, you should rely on the estimated frequency of use of the grass trimmer. The more often, the more it costs to stock up expenses.
Information about the possible line diameter can be found on the body grass trimmer spools. Most likely, the range will be indicated there. The thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the appropriate option, taking into account the characteristics of the cultivated area. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tough grass.
Lay the line in the direction indicated on the element body.
Insert the short end into the slot on the side of the spool.
Secure the long end in the opposite groove.
Place the spool of coiled line into the spool body.
Trim the ends of the line, leaving 10 to 15 centimeters.
The line change is complete and now all that remains is to screw the bobbin onto the grass trimmer and you can work.
ATTENTION! Typical line problems
No wonder they say: “Forewarned is forearmed“. Knowing about possible problems and the causes of their occurrence, you can prevent them in a timely manner. We recommend to remember or leave a memo.
|Line break||Stones, branches and solid objects in the grass||Avoid collision|
|Poor cord quality||Replace with a quality analogue|
|Head outlet wear||Complete replacement of part required|
|The line is unwound||The spring in the coil is weakened||Check spring and replace if damaged|
|The line sticks together||Poor line quality, due to which it can melt under the influence of temperature from the heating head||Reel in less line or replace with a better line|
For a better understanding of the mechanism of the process of changing the line in the spool with a video guide prepared by FUBAG specialists:
Method 1. how to properly wind the line or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to first prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out the amount of line you need to refuel to charge the reel. To do this, wind the rig inside the coil until it is aligned with the side protrusions. In this case, the rigging should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the equipment used, the shorter its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly tuck the harness into the aiming of the grass trimmer or brushcutter is as follows:
- To begin with, a piece of fishing line that was prepared to be installed in a reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude more than the second by 10-15 cm
- After that, take the second end from the other side, and bend it in half. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- There is a slot in the inner baffle of the coil, into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The cut in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, we figure out the direction of winding the line. If you wind the rig in the wrong direction, then it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the line and wind it in the correct direction, inspect the surface of the spool. It should indicate the direction of winding (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). What the direction indicator on the coil looks like is shown in the photo below.
- This arrow-shaped pointer can also have the designation, as in the example above “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is missing on the reel, then you need to look at the head. There is a direction of its rotation on the head, and in order to properly wind the line, wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow indicator. So, if the arrow is on the tip, then you need to wind in the indicated direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should start winding. Each end should be guided in its own groove. If there is no separator, then the equipment must be laid in the appropriate distribution order.
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following. place a short part in the hole of the side wall of the pickup, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then do the same procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the coil into the head, first passing the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and, by pulling the ends of the line, we disengage them from the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch engages.
- At this point, the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer is completed, and if necessary, you can cut only the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the assembled drum on the tool
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the brushcutter. What is the difference and how the second method of threading the line onto the reel of the brushcutter is carried out, we will find out in detail.
What you need to know about grass trimmer line
A fishing line is a consumable that is made of nylon and serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, the grass is cut, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has a different thickness, which depends on its application on the corresponding tools, electric low-power (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2-2.4 mm) and gasoline grass trimmers with brushcutters (from 2.4 up to 3.2 mm).
Lawn Striping. How To Achieve The Best Stripes In Your Lawn
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the coil of your grass trimmer, then it is time to change and reload the tool. With the onset of spring, this question is becoming more and more popular, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the fishing line in the grass trimmer reel.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and remove the line
Initially, remove the line from the spool of the grass trimmer before threading it into the spool. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be removed with one hand.
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other.
- After that, you can proceed to dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated.
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you know, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodic removal of the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude the licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then special clamping pliers can be used to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to change the grass trimmer line. The video below shows the detailed process of how to open the grass trimmer coil and disassemble it.
How to get Perfect Lawn Stripes with a Push Mower!
Method 2. how to properly put the line on the reel of the brushcutter with photo description and video
The second method differs from the first in that it is not a single piece of equipment that is charged into the coil, but segments from two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into the brushcutter is the same as with the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The fishing line should be hooked onto the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until a 10-15 cm segment remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the guide
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the coil, the cover with the latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in a brushcutter will help not only correctly, but also quickly perform the replacement procedure. Assembling the grass trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to comfortably fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.
How does the head with a fishing line work on a brushcutter why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, which prevent its free movement.
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the splines in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is between 1 and 4 meters.
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the fishing line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, without adversely affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, it is this very moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Step-by-step instructions on how to wind the reel of the grass trimmer and lawn mower
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip, which will not allow you to make mistakes with the use of the appropriate equipment.
If there is information on the spool about the diameter of the line you can fill in, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all of them are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of brushcutters and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
Learning how to properly wind the line on the reel of the grass trimmer and lawn mower installation instructions
Private home owners know how essential a tool such as a grass trimmer is. It can be gasoline and electric, but they differ in the design of power units. For cutting grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out in the process of use, so how to wind the coil of the grass trimmer, we will consider in detail in the material.
Tips and tricks on how to wind the line and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and tricks that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced mowers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injury and malfunctioning of the mechanism. These guidelines read as follows:
- It is necessary to install the cover until it clicks. over, this is 2 or more clicks, depending on the number of latches. If one of the latch does not snap into place, the drum may jump out when starting the tool and injure a person.
- Do not reel in the line with a strong pull, or more than you can insert it into place. It is better not to wind up the rig than there will be more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of the impossibility of unwinding it if necessary
- If you own a tool not with two line leads, but with one (usually these are low-power units), then the winding process is carried out in the same sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of a middle edge between the extreme bases of the coil
- After replacing the material, it is necessary to first check the operability of the tool, and after that start mowing the grass. If you do not make a preliminary check, then the scaffolding can unwind and injure a person.
The result of the work done is as follows. after the replacement of the new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this.