How to wind the line on the trimmer correctly
A garden trimmer is a useful tool that makes life much easier for any gardener or private home owner. The grass just rushes in the summer, especially after the rains, so you can’t go anywhere without it. But over time, sooner or later, the line in it will end, and it will be necessary to insert a replaceable skein of new line. Some summer residents get stumped. how to do it yourself? So our article will help them.
Changing the line on the trimmer
This article will tell you how to change the line on the trimmer. For some people, this job may not be easy. But the step-by-step instructions that are available here will help you in this matter.
So the first thing to do is remove the gear cover. We combine the hole on the side of the curly lower washer and the axial recess, insert a screwdriver to fix the shaft from scrolling. Now unscrew the nozzle. The thread on the shaft, as a rule, has a reverse thread, take this into account when unscrewing.
Next, the disassembly of the nozzle follows. There, the lid is fixed with latches through the holes. So you just have to push these clips into the holes and the cover will come off. If the attachment has automatic / semi-automatic line feeding modes, it means that there is a spring inside, which can simply fly out when the lid is opened, be prepared for this. We lay out all the removed parts neatly in order.
Now it’s time to take the line and rewind 5 meters from it, cut off this piece. Pay attention to its thickness, do not wind a line of greater thickness on the unit than specified in the manual for the tool. Otherwise, there will be an increased load on the engine and higher fuel consumption during operation. We bend the measured line in half to find the middle and get a loop.
There are a couple of notches in the middle of the coil, sometimes they are not notches, but holes located opposite each other. With a loop we cling to one of the grooves and wind the fishing line counterclockwise. If the reel has 2 compartments, then we wind each end of the fishing line on them separately. Leave the last 15-20 cm free and clamp them while in the recesses of the coil.
We assemble the device again, pull the free ends of the fishing line into the holes on the body. We put on the cover, snapping the latches into their grooves. Now you can pull out these loose ends of the line.
It remains only to attach the working node in place, as in the first paragraph. Do not forget about reverse rotation on screwing.
Now you can learn how to wind the line around the trimmer. Actually, the whole process was detailed above. No time-consuming operations requiring the presence of specialists. Your lawn mower is ready for use again.
How to remove and disassemble a coil
Before starting the cord replacement process, trimmer users need to remove and disassemble the reel. Let’s see how to do it.
Part 1.HOW TO SHARPEN ANY CLIPPER BLADE PROFESSIONALLY!!
The trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: a cover, a spring (not on all models), a bobbin with a cord and a cover.
Attention! Before proceeding with any maintenance of the electrical unit, it must be disconnected from the mains.
In trimmers, 2 options for mounting the mowing head are most often used.
The cord does not feed, the reel does not spin
An automatic or semi-automatic head should feed the line without stopping the unit. But if it does not come out, then the reasons may be as follows:
- the fishing line is incorrectly wound in the reel, due to which the latter does not spin;
- the cord is wound unevenly, and the thread can get stuck between the turns (the thread should be wound neatly, turn to turn, without distortions);
- too short ends of the thread come out of the holes, as a result of which there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the line is not fed (it is recommended to always adjust the length of the cord before starting the unit, pulling it slightly);
- the line is stuck together (will be discussed later).
High cord consumption
In general, the cord runs out quickly if the semi-automatic head is tapped frequently on the ground or if it is pressed down hard. The spool is unlocked, and the line, lengthening, is cut with a knife. Another reason that the cord runs out quickly is improper operation of the machine with an automatic head: the user often cuts the engine speed when mowing. But as we remember, the automatic head is designed in such a way that it is with each decrease in speed that a new portion of the line is supplied, so it is quickly consumed.
To remove the trimmer head, you will need to completely disassemble it.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you must press on the latches (latches) located on both sides.
- Removing the cover reveals a spool that needs to be removed from the case. Some spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must be carefully pulled out so as not to lose it in the grass.
- When you remove the bobbin, you will see a slotted screw for a Phillips or flathead screwdriver in the center of the case. It is possible that there may be a hex bolt or an “asterisk” bit.
- Using a screwdriver, selecting the required bit (nozzle), you need to unscrew the bolt (counterclockwise).
- After removing the fasteners, grasp the body of the part and, shaking it in different directions, remove it from the gearbox shaft.
The line is flying out
The reason that the cord unwinds after starting the unit can also be a weakening of the spring inside the head. In addition, there are times when the mowing head flies apart when the machine is turned on, and the spring installed in it is lost. Inexperienced users do not notice the absence of a spring and assemble this unit without it. Therefore, the cord does not hold, and under the influence of centrifugal force flies out.
Trimmer users, both gasoline and electric, sometimes have cord problems. “Advanced” mower owners can easily cope with the difficulties that have arisen, understanding why this is happening, and for beginners it is a problem that has no rational explanation. But in fact, everything is solved quite simply. The most common problems that happen with the line are as follows.
In this embodiment, the head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix this shaft. To do this, in similar trimmers, for example, in the Huter and Champion devices, there is a hole through which you can insert either a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
So, to remove the bobbin, follow 2 easy steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head body and start turning it clockwise. Turn in this direction for the reason that the thread cut on the shaft is left.
How to remove or tuck the line into the trimmer
In order to wind the line, it will take about 10-15 minutes. What is a trimmer coil? Plastic body with a cassette inside, on which there is a special hook for easy winding of the fishing line.
Almost all trimmer reels have a similar fastening principle, this is a central screw-button, when pressed, it becomes possible to pull out the line of the required length. The photo below shows a few examples of different trimmer spools.
The bobbins of the trimmers, the motor of which is located at the very ground, have a different attachment to the axis of rotation, they have two buttons on the spool located on the sides that need to be wrung out, otherwise the replacement of the thread is no different from other cassettes.
The principle of correct winding of the fishing line is similar in all of the above cases, therefore, for example, consider the standard version with two antennae.
To remove the spool with the fishing line, you need to unscrew the centrally located screw, but note that the thread is left there, so you will have to turn it clockwise, this was done on purpose so that during operation it does not open under the influence of centrifugal force.
Next, using a screwdriver, disassemble the head and remove the spool onto which the fishing line is directly wound.
Having measured the required length and folded in half, you need to tuck the fishing line into the spool, eventually bringing its ends opposite each other (for this there are special slots for fixing).
After that, it is necessary to assemble the head in the reverse order, threading the ends of the cord into two corresponding holes.
If you have doubts or it is not entirely clear how to load the line on the trimmer, we recommend that you look at how to properly wind the line into the lawn mower.
In this video, in detail, step by step, the instructor will open the trimmer head, measure the required amount of line, usually from two to four meters, and demonstrate assembly and installation on the trimmer.
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. A trimmer will help to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true for those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two sections. upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing edge does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread must be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to hold the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half winds up in the upper part of the spool, and the lower half in the lower part. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin for securing the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these grooves so that they are fixed against each other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable into the tool. the ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so that they are removed from the grooves of the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. they should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line is tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
How to change the line on an electric trimmer
Since we considered the choice of a trimmer in the previous article, today we will tell you how to properly fill the trimmer with fishing line, and which one is better to choose based on the working conditions.
After you bought a trimmer and began to actively use it, sooner or later the question of replacing the fishing line will arise, since this is the most wearing element in the tool, intensive use of the trimmer will lead to frequent replacement of consumables.
Method 2. how to properly put the line on the reel of lawn mowers with photo description and video
The second method differs from the first in that it is not a single piece of equipment that is charged into the coil, but segments from two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into a lawn mower’s line is the same as with the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be secured
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The brace of the fishing line should be hooked on the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until a 10-15 cm segment remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the guide
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the coil, the cover with the latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in the lawnmower will help not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, remove the line from the trimmer spool before threading it into the trimmer spool. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be removed with one hand.
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew it, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other.
- After that, you can start dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but by slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated.
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you know, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- It is recommended to remove the head periodically to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude the licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then special clamping pliers can be used to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
What types of woods are there
The most common type of line that fits almost all reel types is round cord. This is an ordinary fishing line, suitable for mowing succulent grass, but it will be much more difficult to mow dead wood with it, and even more so it will not cope with bush.
As a rule, the diameter that can be used to cut young grass does not exceed 1.6 mm. The thicker the thread, the more coarse grass it is able to overcome.
There are fishing lines with sharp edges in the form of an asterisk or a square, this option is more adapted to mowing dry grass precisely due to the existing sharp edges, but its disadvantage is greater wear and tear and it is inferior in strength to a round cord.
There are fishing lines with improved aerodynamics with characteristic dents, scales and notches, such a product makes less noise, but it is used only on lawn mowers, since the exit of such a thread from the spool is difficult, it is used most often with discs into which segments are inserted. The disadvantage of such a product is its fragility.
Most often in gasoline trimmers with an engine with an output of more than 1.5 hp. use cords with a metal cable inside.
This thread is ideal for cutting dry grass and small bushes. The presence of a core has a positive effect on the wear resistance of this material.
The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the listed opponents.
Step-by-step instructions on how to wind the trimmer reel and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip, which will not allow you to make mistakes with the use of the appropriate equipment.
If there is information on the reel about the diameter of the line you can fill in, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all of them are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.