How to load a line for a trimmer in a grass trimmer correctly
There are several parameters to consider when choosing a line.
The list of basic cutting cord features includes:
line thickness. on the market most often there are strings with a thickness in the range of 1.2-4 mm. Thin cords, up to 1.6 mm in diameter, intended for trimmers with an output of less than 0.8 l. с. This cord is most often used in cases when a household has a low-powered electric mower with a line and a knife. Cord, 2 mm to 2.6 mm in diameter, for trimmers with 1 to 1.8 liter power. с. These lines are capable of successfully removing not only freshly grown, but also fairly old, dried out vegetation. Thicker cords, 3 mm in diameter and above, are designed for use with chain saws with a power of at least 3 liters. с. Cord with this thickness shows good results when mowing large and dense wild vegetation;
- the shape of the grass trimmer cord. a lot depends on this factor, because when mowing the grass, the cord does not cut the stems, but hits them repeatedly. It is the shape of the thread that affects the speed of mowing the grass and the neatness of its cutting line. Most often on the market you can find lines of round shape. This cord is suitable for mowing any type of vegetation. Less common on the market is square thread. It is best for removing large, hard stems, and is often used for mowing wild stems. Star trimmer line is also available on the market. It stands out for its low traumatism to the grass, so it is best used for the maintenance of decorative natural lawns;
- material. in most cases, manufacturers use nylon, polypropylene and polyamide for cutting cord production. Cheaper trimmer cords are made of nylon with polyethylene added, which makes the cord less resistant to wear and heat.
Also, when choosing a cord, you need to consider the type of equipment that will be used to work on the site. If the farm uses electric grass trimmers with a fishing line and knife, it is best to equip them with thin round cord, which creates a minimum load on the electric motor. If a powerful lawnmower is used to care for the area, you can confidently use a thread with any thickness and section, including homemade lines from a plastic bottle to work with it. The load on the gasoline motor, in these cases, will be almost imperceptible.
Preparing to replace the fishing line
Before changing the line, you must remove and then disassemble the head. It usually includes a cover, spring (on some models), a bobbin with a fishing line, a cover. It is necessary to unplug the electric grass trimmer (or shut off the gasoline one), and then proceed to remove the spool. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, you need to completely disassemble the head, and in the second. just remove from the gear shaft, to which it is attached.
Makita. How To: Replace Nylon Line Cord
find the locks on both sides, press and remove the cover to open the inside of the head;
under the cover is the bobbin, it must be carefully removed from the housing (sometimes under it hides a spring, it should also be carefully put aside so as not to lose); after removing the bobbin becomes noticeable in the center of the housing fixing bolt (or screw), which should be unscrewed in the opposite clockwise direction; after removing fasteners, holding the housing, jiggling movements remove the spool from the gearbox shaft.
The second method involves the following steps. The spool head is put on the reducer shaft. To disengage it, you need to lock this shaft. Usually there is a hole in the scythes, e.g. Champion or STIHL, into which a nail, rod or screwdriver is inserted. After fixing the shaft in a fixed position, you need, holding the body, begin to turn the head clockwise, because the thread on the shaft is usually applied to the left.
Now that the head is removed and disassembled, you need to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the appropriate diameter for your grass trimmer by looking in the user manual or on the bobbin itself, usually such information is indicated on it. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole where it comes from. If the rod goes through without obstruction, it can be used for the job.
For your information! To know how much fishing line to reel, you need to wind it on the bobbin so that the height of the coil is not more than the diameter of the sides. If the cord protrudes over the edge, the coil cannot be hidden in the case.
Can I store wireless headphones in a case??
All modern wireless headphones work on Li-ion batteries. Their charging scheme has long been able to stop the process of achieving the required level of charge. So there’s no risk to the battery if you leave the headphones in the case.
You just put the headphones in the case and they start charging by themselves. No additional manipulation required. Case has enough energy for several refills of the headphones up to 100%. Just 15 minutes in the case and the accessory works for 3 hours.
Types of trimmer heads
Grass cutter head is a cylindrical body with a spool with a fishing line (cord) set in it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. Heads differ in the way the cord is threaded and fed, and come in 3 types.
- Automatic. The cord is fed in after the user has reduced engine speed. Although automatic filament feeding is convenient if large volumes of work are performed, but such bobbins have one disadvantage. high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. This type of head requires no complex manipulation from the user. The principle is that the cord is pulled in automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the head of grass trimmer on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for trimmer thanks to centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, and then cut to the right length by the knife, located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord you need to stop the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled out manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. Also note that grass trimmer reels for grass are single string (used only for grass trimming) and double string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
In order to change the line for the trimmer, you need to remove the old one (if there was one).
The reel is a part of the grass trimmer design, which is located inside the head of the brushcutter, reel or reel. Depending on the manufacturer, there are different heads. But this article only deals with Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Now we need to understand how to properly remove the head from the grass trimmer and how to pull the reel out of it.
Instructions on how to unwind a manual head on a trimmer are described below.
Restring a 2 sided spool on a string trimmer weed eater EASY!!
- First of all, you need to clean the head of dirt and clumped grass, if it is dirty. To do this, you need to lift the brushcutter up and remove the protective cap on the reel by grasping the shroud.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the reel. The spool can easily be pulled out with one hand because it is not attached to the reel in any way.
- The reel itself is bolted to the trimmer. This screw must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the reel. To do this gently, support the reel with the spool while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the reel out. As mentioned above, it is not secured in any way, except for the hook with the metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully pull the spool out of the reel in a circular motion.
- Now it remains to remove the old line for the trimmer and follow the following instructions.
Reel and reel are put back in place according to the reverse procedure.
Before refilling the line, make sure that you bought the correct line for the grass trimmer. When the cord does not fit, it increases fuel or power consumption and places a strain on the brushcutter’s engine.
In order to replace the thread itself, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. This usually requires about 4m of fishing line. The exact figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, such as its thickness, as well as the parameters of the spool itself.
If it is not possible to determine the exact length, you can do as follows: insert and wind the thread until the spool is fully charged (the level of the line will be compared to the protrusions in the sides of the spool). Care should be taken to ensure that the trimmer line sits flat on the spool.
Do not forget that thick thread will be shorter than thin thread.
Instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread should be taken and rolled in half. Make sure one end is 0.1 to 0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller needs to be pulled up to the larger one so that it is half as long. When bending, you should keep a 0.15m indentation.
- Find the slot inside the coil baffle. In this slot, carefully extend the loop, which was obtained earlier.
- To continue working, you need to determine the winding direction of the thread in the spool. To do this, just examine the spool. there should be an arrow on it.
- If you can’t find the pointer arrow, it is possible that there is a written marking. An example is shown in the photo below. The head of the coil should be inspected. There is a direction indicator on it. However, this is the direction of movement of the spool. To get the winding direction, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to thread the line on the reel. It is worth noting that inside the coil there are special guiding grooves. When winding the thread, these grooves must be followed, otherwise the grass trimmer could be damaged. At this stage you have to charge the spool very carefully.
- When the user has almost all the thread, take the short end (do not forget the protrusion of 0.15m) and pull it through the hole in the wall of the spool. Now you need to repeat the same action with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the spool itself in the head of the spool, before putting the trimmer line through the holes inside the reel.
- Now it’s time to put the drum back in its place. After that, you need to take two hands by the ends of the fishing line and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the cover in place (here you can safely apply force until you hear a characteristic click).
- The “cosmetic work” is left to be done. It is necessary to see if the thread is too long. You can start the grass trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread is a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
Trouble with the line
Users of trimmers, both gasoline and electric, sometimes have problems with the filament. “Advanced” owners of mowers without difficulty cope with the difficulties encountered, understanding why it happens, but for beginners. it is a problem that has no rational explanation. But in fact, everything is solved quite simply. The most common problems that occur with the fishing line are.
If the line for the trimmer often tears, it can be caused by the following reasons:
- there are stones, small branches and other hard obstacles in the grass;
- the user mows the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, it tears the “tendrils” even faster;
- poor quality of the cord (it is recommended to buy quality cord);
- Exit holes in the mowing head are worn out, causing the trimmer line to rub against the sharp edges of the sleeves and break (complete replacement of the part will be required).
High cord consumption
Generally, the cord runs out quickly if you pound the ground frequently with the semi-automatic head or press it down hard. The spool is unlocked, and the line for the trimmer, lengthening, is cut by the knife. Another reason for fast cord breakage is improper use of a machine with an automatic head: The user frequently lowers the engine speed while mowing. But as we remember, the automatic head is designed in such a way that a new portion of line is fed with each decrease in rpm, so it is quickly consumed.
The filament can’t hold
It happens that the thread unwinds if the spring in the semiautomatic head is loose. the line for your trimmer is constantly being pulled out and cut by the blade on the hood, leading to increased consumption. To check this, remove the hood and turn the machine on. If the trimmer line gets “fed up”, the spring must be replaced.
The line for the trimmer flies out
The reason that the cord after starting the machine unwinds, can also be a loosening of the spring inside the head. In addition, there are cases when, when turning on the unit, the mowing head breaks, and the spring installed in it is lost. Inexperienced users do not notice the absence of a spring and collect this assembly without it. Therefore, the cord does not hold, and under the influence of centrifugal force flies out.
the cord is not fed, the spool does not rotate
The automatic or semi-automatic head should feed the line for the trimmer without stopping the machine. But if it doesn’t come out, the reasons may be as follows:
- wrongly wound line for the trimmer in the spool, due to which the latter does not rotate;
- the cord is wound unevenly and the thread may get caught between the coils (the thread must be wound accurately, coil to coil, without twisting);
- Too short filament ends come out of the holes, so there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the line for the trimmer does not feed (it is recommended that before starting the machine always adjust the length of the cord, pulling it up a little);
- The line for the trimmer is sticking (will be discussed later).
The threads stick together
This mishap occurs most often due to the use of low-quality cord. When the machine is working, the grass trimmer head heats up, and low-quality lines for the trimmer in it melt, sticking together. Also sintering of the filaments occurs when the line meets a solid obstacle. In this case there is a sharp braking of the cord, after which it is pulled into the head, where it sticks. Some machine owners recommend to lubricate the cord with mineral oil or spray it with silicone spray after winding on the bobbin. Others suggest less filament on the spool. But it is better to buy a quality product, in the manufacture of which the manufacturer has taken into account the factor of overheating the head, and the thread will not stick.
Winding the line
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you adhere to a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material are enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the curbs. Once you’ve determined the length of the cord, follow these instructions:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the fishing line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start charging from the center curb, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into two parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction you need to wind the line for the trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription. It indicates the winding side. If there are no markings on the bobbin, look at the arrow on the mowing head. conduct the winding in the opposite direction.
- Wind the consumable material carefully, coil to coil. Try to maintain maximum thread tension.
- When you have finished laying the cord, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. Attach the second end (longer), in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the trimmer fishing line, cut the ends. Do not forget to leave an allowance of approx. 10 cm.
- Insert the threaded reel in the mowing head of the machine. To do this, take turns inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the head to then place the device’s bobbin into the skin.
- With the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. When finished, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Winding the line step by step onto the spool
You can also wind the cord onto the grass trimmer in another way by charging two pieces of material instead of one. Replace as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord to form a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin must have a hole, which is designed to fix the fishing line. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- The same steps need to be done for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
Gasoline grass trimmer
Small mobile devices for cutting grass and young branches, consisting of a rod, motor, cutting part and handle is called a trimmer.
The design of the gasoline-free trimmer is simple, it is easy to disassemble, if necessary
There are electric and gasoline versions. The former are not fueled, but they depend on the length of the cord. The latter work regardless of the presence of electricity, anywhere in the garden or vegetable garden.
Gasoline grass trimmers are lighter and cheaper than lawnmowers. They cope with grass and bushes, so these mowers are used at home and in industry. For convenience, the technique has straps that fit on your shoulder. So there’s less strain on the arms and back.
trimmer for grass gasoline
Small mobile devices for cutting grass and young branches, consisting of a boom, motor, cutting part and handle are called trimmers.
The design of the gasoline-free trimmer is simple, it is easy to disassemble, if necessary
There are electric and gasoline models. The first do not refuel, but they depend on the length of the cord. The latter work regardless of electricity, anywhere in the garden or vegetable garden.
Gasoline grass trimmers are lighter and less expensive than lawn mowers. They cope with grass and bushes, so these mowers are used at home and in industry. The cutting attachment has straps that can be slipped over the shoulder, reducing strain on the arms and shoulders. This reduces strain on your arms and back.