The main task of the technology with the front adapter is to speed up and facilitate the processing of the garden.
If you attach additional devices to the device, you can expand the range of applications:
- Remove hay;
- Cultivate the land. plant and collect;
- Clears the area of snow;
- Level the surface of the earth;
- Transfer small-sized cargo.
Do-it-yourself front adapter tiller
Steering type adapter
How to make a steering adapter for a tiller? The type of structure in which the steering wheel is provided must be rigidly fixed. The steering gear is performed as a separate independent unit. A pair of wheels and behold, which serves as a steering gear, are installed in the front and rear. Fixation points are selected based on individual characteristics. The location of the steering gear depends on the type of part. When assembling, it is recommended to perform just such an improved model.
A motorized cultivator with steering has many positive qualities:
- The operator will not waste energy when moving around the unit;
- The equipment has maneuverability and increased functionality;
- Traction force is realized at 100%;
- You can get to the workplace by tillery without the use of additional equipment;
- Ease of management compared to other options.
Types of front adapters for the tiller
Converted technical devices are of the following types:
- With telescopic drawbar type. This detail adjusts the width of the tiller adapter.
- With drawbars of various lengths. The short clamp is designed for light weight devices, the long clamp is suitable for heavy mechanisms.
- The purpose of the equipment is the transportation of goods. Models have a special body, which is able to withstand increased loads.
- With lifting link mechanism. Equipment that has suspended equipment is easy to operate and move.
Algorithm of actions
To start assembling additional equipment for a motor-cultivator, you will need a drawing, in agreement with which the fastening elements and the construction of fragments will be completed. If you have special skills and experience, a homemade tiller adapter and drawing can be done independently. In case of fear of making a mistake, you should take ready-made drawings. Before designing, it is recommended to check and verify the compliance of dimensions and numbers.
Advantages and disadvantages
After the tiller has been modernized, the designers note the positive qualities of the front adapter:
- Ease of use;
- Disclosure of the traction resource. the existing abilities increase;
- The possibilities of work are expanding. tillage will be accelerated;
- If necessary, the unit is disassembled and assembled;
- Good balance in weight and axes;
- You can move around on the device.
The disadvantages include the fact that in the presence of a movable hitch, stability deteriorates.
The tiller adapter consists of the following structural elements:
Tools and consumables:
- Metal corners, square profile;
- Bearings for the steering wheel and column;
- Metal sheets;
- A pair of wheels, preferably on an axle;
- Drills, electrodes, discs for an angle grinder;
- Wrenches of various sizes;
- Welding electric apparatus;
- Lubricants. grease;
- Angle Grinder;
What can be done?
When choosing material for the tracks, it is important to consider that it should not be excessively heavy. Since the tiller itself does not have a powerful engine, it simply will not cope with weighty material and, most likely, will break. The caterpillar mechanism, as a rule, is made of motorcycle tires, chains, pipes, belts, or a conveyor belt in combination with a bushing-roller chain.
Most crafters create tracks from tires. these parts are easily converted to the desired design. It is necessary to choose tires of large trucks, taking into account the existing tread pattern and shape, because the correct pattern will improve grip. It is better if these are spare parts that previously belonged to tractors or other large-sized models.
Correctly selected protector will be able to contact well with wet ground, and covered with ice, and snow-covered surfaces. In addition to the materials for the tracks, a tiller with a gearbox, as well as a pair of additional wheels, will be required to construct a full-fledged device. If necessary, an additional cart is attached to the tiller and, if desired, even on skids to transport goods through deep snow.
Features and device
Tracks for the tiller greatly simplify both the transportation of the load and the movement of the device itself. Due to the fact that the track mechanism covers a fairly large surface, the tiller moves much more evenly, exerts less pressure on the surface and does NOT get stuck on difficult soils. The tiller on tracks is able to work even in bad weather, and in good weather it becomes even more maneuverable.
The maintenance and use of the tracked module does not cause any particular difficulties for the owners, and it is not difficult to do it yourself. It should be borne in mind that when the tiller is equipped with a tracked module, its speed decreases. However, the device’s ability to navigate difficult terrain, transport goods and even clear the area from snow increases.
Tillers with tracked modules are otherwise identical to conventional tillers. The engine must be four-stroke with the ability to block the wasps so that the device can return without making a whole circle. There is also a requirement for water cooling to cope with high loads that cause the motor to overheat. This type is more effective than air. Clutch system, gearbox and reduction gear in crawler mechanisms Presented in the traditional version. The tiller on tracks is controlled by a handle.
When creating tracks on your own, it is important to understand that if you design them too high, the tiller’s center of gravity will change, and he will begin to experience difficulties turning, and even tilt to one side or another. To prevent such a situation, the second slave has to be made longer by a couple of centimeters. Also, with the help of a bushing, it will be possible to expand the wheelbase that already exists in the tiller.
Step-by-step manufacturing instructions
To make a caterpillar mechanism for a tiller with your own hands, in addition to the materials used, you will need certain tools: an angle grinder, and sometimes a drill, a boot knife and a set of screwdrivers, bolts, nuts and wrenches, a welding machine, wire, chains and a sanding belt. Of course, drawings will also be necessary, which are easy to find on the Internet in the public domain.
If home-made tracks are made from car tires, then the first thing the tires are freed from the sides to the state of the treadmill. tracks for tracks. It is easier to do this with a high-quality sharpening knife, for example, designed for working with boots. The adjustment process is lengthy, but it can be accelerated by periodically smearing the blade with soapy substance.
It is more convenient to cut the sides of the tires with an electric jigsaw, which has small teeth. At the next stage, the wrong side of the tire is also corrected: excess layers are removed from it. This should be done when the tape is too dense inside. Such a track attachment made of car parts turns out to be quite durable, since the tire is initially closed, which means that it will be more difficult to damage the tracks during operation. Unfortunately, the available tire width will not allow the user to use a large surface. However, some craftsmen solve this problem by using multiple tires.
The simplest track module can be made from a conveyor belt and sleeve-roller chains. First, depending on how powerful the engine is, the required thickness of the belt used is selected. Following is the processing of the edges, which can begin to shaggy and because of this fail earlier. For this, a fishing line is used with a pitch of ten millimeters. The finished edges are then sewn into a ring, with special hinges, or simply along the end parts.
Despite some primitiveness of the mechanism, it will serve for a very long time. It is important to add that the thickness of the tape must be more than seven millimeters, otherwise the device will not be able to withstand the required loads. The optimal interval is considered to be from eight to ten millimeters.
The track module can be made from belts if they have a wedge-shaped profile. It is best to connect the parts with grousers, which are fixed on the strap with screws or rivets. Another common solution is to construct tracks from chains of equal size. Such a versatile part, as a rule, is abundant in any home workshop, so this method is also economical. To make caterpillars, you have to take a pair of equal chains and the extreme links in them.
Now two chains can be connected into one circuit, the links can be clamped back and, for reliability, scolds everything. For greater strength, the chains can be fastened again with lugs, which, by the way, are also simply made from scrap materials. metal sheets of the required thickness. In general, this part can be not only steel, but wooden and even plastic. In the latter case, wood bars or plastic tubes are used as it. Which material will be the most suitable can be determined depending on the purpose of using the tiller.
In the case when the cargo expected for transportation does NOT differ in large weight, the lugs should be made plastic. The same applies to moving devices equipped with weak motors. When the tiller is planned to be used as a tractor, and it has a rather powerful engine, steel parts should be preferred.
Sometimes homemade caterpillars are reinforced with pipes, which are connected with each other through a quarrel. Parts in this case are made of metal and have a rectangular section. In this case, it is recommended to remove the drive shafts from the “Oka”, and take the spline part to the “Buran”. The equipment must be equipped with brakes, which are mounted on the front shafts. This addition allows you to get a device with maximum capabilities.
It is worth mentioning that in order to convert a regular tiller into a tracked one on the go, you first have to put two additional wheels on it, one on each side. The result should be a four-wheeled structure, on which the tracks are already put on. Some craftsmen prefer to make these extra wheels removable rather than weld on new mountings. This can be done by attaching the wheels to the axle, using a flexible or rigid transmission. It is impossible not to mention that it is not necessary to make the tracks yourself. no less economical solution would be to use parts from old equipment, for example, “Buran”.
How to make a tiller on tracks with your own hands?
When using the tiller tracks, it is necessary to constantly check how well the chain is tensioned, and also regularly oil the parts whose friction occurs during movement. In addition, it is recommended each time before use to check whether any damage and breaks have appeared on the chain. After the trip, a routine inspection should also be carried out in order to detect any damage or broken hooks in time. When using the tiller, you should avoid driving over roots and stone massifs, as well as stumps, otherwise the track module will be torn very quickly.
For an overview of the tiller-all-terrain vehicle on tracks, see the following.
How to weight a cultivator with your own hands
Owners of low-power cultivators equipped with an electric motor (for example, the Garden M 750 ET, PATRIOT ELEKTRA 1000 or HYUNDAI T 1810E cultivator) face such a problem that when passing through an area with hard or medium-dense soil, the mini-cultivator jumps and does not cope with the delivered task.
To make the manual plowing unit heavier, craftsmen install foam blocks or a 5-liter bottle filled with sand on top of the body. Such modernization will help the mini-cultivator to effectively cultivate a small summer cottage, but it will become more difficult for the operator to operate it.
How to make a counterweight on a tiller with your own hands
A counterweight is called a front tiller weight, which is hung on the front bumper pipe and helps to improve the efficiency of plowing hard soil and virgin land. And also with its help you can shift the center of gravity of the cultivator, thereby increasing stability during work.
To make a counterweight on a tiller with your own hands, you will need heavy improvised items, fasteners and a little ingenuity. Consider several options for homemade products:
- Five-liter bottles, filled with water or sand, which are suspended by the handle and attached with a carabiner;
- Counterweight from a weight for scales (under it it is necessary to make a frame from a metal tape, which will be inserted into the guides from a steel profile, welded from below to the frame of the agricultural unit)
- A weighting agent cast from lead or cement in the form of a parallelepiped or a cylinder, with pre-inserted “ears” of a steel bar for hanging;
- Several pancakes fastened together, to the outermost of which metal carabiners are welded, which serve as locks of a homemade device.
How to weight a tiller with your own hands
The installation of homemade weights will help eliminate slippage and increase the efficiency of light and medium tillers (such as Neva MB-2 and MB-1, Patriot, Oka, Salyut and others).
To figure out how to weight the tiller correctly, you need to understand that there are three ways to achieve a specific task:
- Fasten loads on the body of agricultural machinery;
- Make weights for wheels or lugs;
- Increase the weight of the attachment (plow, hiller, blade-shovels for snow removal and others) to improve penetration.
How to make do-it-yourself weights for a tiller
By using a variety of tiller weights, land owners can significantly increase the functionality and range of application of THESE machines. Tillers and motor-cultivators are indispensable helpers when carrying out excavation work in large and small areas, transporting goods over short distances. With their help, less time and effort is spent on soil processing. However, in some cases, even the most modern and expensive equipment, such as the domestic tiller Neva, does not cope with individual tasks. When raising virgin lands, working on slopes and in damp ground, the wheels of the unit slip, since it does not have enough own weight for reliable grip. In order to make the car heavier, various goods of factory and own production are used.
Tiller body weights
In some cases, the weight of the wheel weights is insufficient. Since overloading is not recommended, the weight of the unit body is added. This can be done in different ways. The best option is to attach the removable steel frame directly to the tiller. The base can be a frame, a gearbox or a niche for installing a battery.
The increase in body mass is carried out in the following sequence:
- Determination of the center of gravity of the unit. Creating a wireframe project.
- Welding to the gearbox housing, and to the tiller steering bracket. bolts with a diameter of 12 mm and a length of at least 10 cm.
- Welding the frame from the corner. Making mounting holes in it for bolts.
- Fitting the frame to the frame. Drilling holes in it corresponding to the location of the holes on the frame.
- Cleaning the frame from dirt and rust. Painting the product and fixing it to the frame.
- Manufacturing of cargo to the size of the frame. You can find the necessary parts at the scrap metal collection point, where the material will be immediately cut into fragments of the desired size.
The fastening of the weights to the tiller is carried out using a quarrel or bolted connections. The second option is more time-consuming to implement, but more practical in the long run. The need to remove additional cargo arises when transporting the unit or performing light work, when excess pressure on the ground is contraindicated.
List of tools and equipment
As a rule, at each summer cottage there is a sufficient number of metal products and a set of devices for carrying out a wide range of works.
In order to make wheel weights for a tiller with your own hands, you will need the following tools and materials:
- Welding machine;
- Building level;
- Angle grinder with discs for cutting and grinding metal;
- Electric drill with a set of drills;
- Small steel or aluminum barrel with twist-off lid;
- Pancakes from the bar weighing 5, 10, 20 kg;
- Steel corner 30-50 mm;
- Paint brush;
- Car paint.
By making the tiller heavier so that there is always the possibility of quick dismantling of the attached devices. They are NOT required when mowing grass and performing other work, and not requiring strong adhesion to the ground. Excess cargo in such cases will interfere and lead to excessive fuel consumption.
Do-it-yourself load on the wheels of a tiller
The most common way to make the machine heavier is to put additional weights on the wheels. The discs and the hub are strong enough to withstand an additional weight of up to 50 kg. You can make weights for the tiller Neva, Ugra, Cascade, Rusich, Nadezhda, Forza, Salute, Mole in various ways.
The first method is to manufacture cargo from hollow steel drums.
The work is carried out in the following sequence:
- The metal barrel is cut into 3 parts by the angle grinder (bottom and top should be 10-15 cm high. depending on the size of the tiller).
- The bottom and top parts are welded at the cut. The seam can be reinforced with a strip of metal.
- 4-6 through holes for bolts are drilled in the workpiece, if necessary, they are reinforced with steel washers.
- Hollow tanks are secured to the rims with long bolts and nuts.
- Sand and granite chips or other loose material are poured inside the nozzles. Water is added to increase its density.
- The lid is twisted.
This weighted unit can be used in the most extreme conditions. When the need for the extended load is no longer necessary, it can be quickly removed, emptied and stored. It is advisable to always have linings with the tiller, in order to quickly make it heavier when the need arises.
The second method is the manufacture of removable weighting materials from steel. To do this, you need a hexagonal iron bar, the size of which matches the hole in the axle of the unit chassis. Additionally, you need to have 2 20-kg pancakes from the bar.
Subsequent work consists of the following stages:
- Here are 2 pieces of 5-6 cm long cut off the profile.
- Profile pieces are welded to the discs at the neck hole.
- Through holes for cotter pins are made in the wasps of the unit and in the profile.
- The made weights cling to the tiller and are fixed with cotter pins.
If the need arises from an extended increase in the mass of the wheel, then you can weld 10-kg pancakes from the bar to the linings. To give the wheel an aesthetic look, old clutch baskets from VAZ are welded to the weights. The floor of the basket is painted in a color that suits the owner the most.
The third way to make the wheels heavier is to make an additional load of reinforced concrete. These loads are made in this way:
- A flask is made of sand or gypsum, its walls and bottom are reinforced with cement mortar or liquid glass.
- A volumetric frame is made from the letter of steel and reinforcement, the center of which is a solid hexagon with a pre-drilled hole for the cotter pin.
- Heavy concrete is made with the introduction of fine granite crushed stone and lead filler.
- The solution is poured into a mold, carefully compacted and leveled.
- After the concrete has gained strength, its surface is treated with impregnation and painted.
For additional weighting of concrete nozzles, it is recommended to leave embeds with a thread.
In addition to the listed manufacturing methods, cargoes per tiller are made from:
- Cement balancers from a washing machine;
- Lead, by casting the desired shape;
- Steel sheet and sand.
It is better to do the last option not with native motoblock pneumatic wheels, but to take a couple of automobile wheels (for example, from Zhiguli) and modernize them. To do this, it is necessary to weld the hubs from the old wheels of the cultivator to them, and attach steel sheets to the sides with a quarrel. Sand is poured into the resulting cavity or a cement mixture is poured.
How to weight the lugs to the tiller
To perform work on viscous clay or loamy soil, instead of wheels, metal lugs are installed on the tiller. In order to maintain the required plowing depth, it is necessary to make the machine heavier by hanging loads on the chassis of the unit.
If factory weights are used as weights and their weight is not enough, auxiliary ones can be used together with them.
Make weighting materials yourself:
- Modernize lugs by welding metal pancakes;
- Make concrete weights (the procedure here is similar to the method of making weights for pneumatic wheels, only as a mold for casting, you need to take a pan with straight walls and a flat bottom, or a cut metal barrel of a suitable diameter)
- Flywheels from the engine of a VAZ 2106 “Zhiguli” car are well suited as a load, one for each wheel;
- Pick up pulleys from agricultural machinery for dismantling, suitable in diameter.
Today on sale there is a huge variety of attachments for weighting wheels and frames of tilers. They are convenient, but have a rather impressive cost.
Independent work will allow you not only to save a good amount, but also to make a load of the required weight, configuration, give it a suitable color and additional functionality. Thus, a fixed basket and welded bolts can be used to transport oil, fuel and clothing. Additional fasteners are useful for harvesting, storing tools, spare parts, fishing equipment when traveling to a pond. A creative approach to the issue of weighting tillers will significantly expand the capabilities of these irreplaceable cars.
The simplest and easiest way to create a homemade tiller is to remake it from a chainsaw. For THESE purposes, any model that you have at home can do. Thanks to the powerful motor, lightweight design and high performance, such self-made ones are well suited for efficient cultivation of the land on the site.
How to make a tiller from a chainsaw with your own hands?
To create such a homemade unit, it is recommended to use special drawings. You can draw these diagrams yourself if you have certain knowledge and representation in the tiller, or you can choose one of the proposed options.
A homemade tiller from a chainsaw is created in several stages, while it is important to observe all the nuances indicated in the diagram.
- Frame making. To do this, use a thick-walled pipe, from which a cube with angles 32x32mm should be created.
- Installation of the engine on the upper frame corners of the frame, which are transverse. You also need to attach the fuel tank using brackets for this (the tank must be placed below the engine).
- The frame on the front is equipped with vertical struts, which serve as intermediate shaft supports.
- Special supports are attached to the longitudinal corners, which will then allow mounting of the shaft travel bearings.
- A metal weight is placed on the front frame element to ensure the stability of the tiller.
- Handles for control are constructed from small metal pipes.
- The tiller is completed with old small wheels, and can also be made from metal plates.
As a result, you can get a good tiller, in which the center of gravity is located above the wheel support surface.
Making a tiller from the Druzhba chainsaw
Chainsaw “Friendship” is considered the best choice for making a tiller. This simple and very productive technique, for sure, is in the armament of many owners. Using its Structural elements, you can make a sufficiently powerful tiller, since it has the following features:
- Due to its low weight, such equipment can be used for work of any complexity.
- Very powerful engine.
- Compactness and durability.
On the basis of this device, a high-quality tiller is obtained, the speed of which is 2.5 km / h, and the power is about 4 liters s. The process of creating an aggregate is similar to the method used for all other models, but there are also some nuances:
- The main shaft of the future design is equipped with a special flange, which has a collar type, RU-32, which will then make it easy to screw on bridge gearboxes.
- Here the sprockets are taken for the UAZ and, together with the double-row chain, are installed on the future device and allow increasing the distance from the gear bridge to the ground. Timing sprockets allow to increase the distance to the ground by 15 cm.
- Casing type bearings are screwed to the main axle, their diameter is 30 mm.
- A gearbox with a gearbox can be constructed from a motor from the Karpaty motorcycle, it is necessary to provide a standard centrifugal clutch.
- To install the cutters and then install the wheels, you need to use a steel pipe.
A load must be installed in front of the frame, which can hold the center of gravity.
A pipe with a diameter of 30 mm is welded as handles.
Once the chainsaw tiller is ready, it can be tested on site. To do this, fill up with fuel and try to do the work. Modify your device if necessary.
The advantages of such a unit are:
- The ability to use a variety of lubricants and fuels;
- Work in a completely autonomous mode;
- Suitability for any type of work.
No specific knowledge is required to create this type of technique from a chainsaw. A little ingenuity and desire is enough to get an effective technique. Homemade tiller suitable for use in private plots and in summer cottages.
Trailer body. choose the material of manufacture
The body of the trailer is made of boards, 20mm thick, for greater strength, at the corners it is reinforced with metal plates. The body is attached to the frame with three support frames made of 5050mm timber and bolts.
This cart is mainly intended for the transport of goods in bags, so its board does not fold back.
Also, the trailer body can be made of various materials at hand, sheet metal, at least 1-1.2 mm thick, corrugated board, boards and even plastic. Any material is suitable for the body if it meets your tasks and requirements. Here you need to calculate the load, the type of cargo transported, etc.
semi-axis; 2.- bearing 206 (2 pcs.); 3. oil seal (felt ring) 4. semi-axle housing; 5. spacer sleeve; 6. stopper (screw М8, 2 pcs.); 7. spring ring, persistent; 8. here is the trailer (pipe 49×4.5) 9. frame.
case; 2. bearing 180205E (2 pcs.); 3. axis; 4. the drawbar of the trailer; 5. washers; 6. nut М20х1.5; 7. cotter pin; 8. spacer sleeve; 9. fork of the hinge node of the tiller.
Additional drawings of a homemade trailer
Additional materials with a detailed description and diagrams of SEPARATE units, trailed devices for the tiller, will help determine the design and give an idea of the assembly stages.
Homemade trailer to the tiller compilation
Also, we present. Which shows how to make a trailer for a tiller with your own hands on the experience of people who have coped with this matter.
Trailer to the tiller. We start making
Trailer for the tiller: 1. bracket for mounted implements of the tiller “Electronic”, 2. console, 3. carrier, 4. footboard (20mm board), 5. driver’s seat (20mm board), 6. frame, 7. body (20mm board) 8. support beam (timber 50x50mm, 3 pcs.), 9. M8 bolt, 10. thrust ring (pipe 58×4), 11. wheel (from motorized carriage SZD, 2 pcs.). commonly. View
DIY trailer for the tiller
A trailer for a tiller, a necessary thing, and sometimes even necessary in a private household. In this material, we will consider how to make a trailer for a tiller with our own hands, focusing on the drawings and descriptions for them.
In the diagram below, a homemade trailer for a tiller, capable of transporting a load weighing more than 400 kg, but first things first. The trailer is equipped with a driver’s seat, it is unpretentious in operation and quite easy to manufacture.
General view drawing
body of the hinge assembly; 2. Drawbar (pipe 43x43x5) 3. footboard (corrugated sheet (steel.) S5) 4. frame (pipe 43x26x5) 5. trunk (seat cover is conventionally not shown); 6. board (steel sheet s1.5) 7. handrail (pipe 21×1.5) 8. post (pipe 18×1.5, 8 pcs.); 9. bottom (steel sheet s1.5) 10. semi-axle housing (2 pcs.); 11. kerchief (letter (steel) s5, 6 pcs.); 12. bead liner (wire with a diameter of 3mm) 13. drawer wall, rear (letter (steel) s1,5).
body of the swivel unit, 2. drawbar (pipe 49×3, L1850), 3. footboard frame (corner 25x25x4), 4. stop (pipe 58×4), 5. stiffener (s4), 6. pad (strip 25×4).
The frame is made of steel elements: pipes, rectangular and circular sections, angles and bars. They are welded together, and form a structure (frame), the design features of the frame are due to the countryside, where, when driving, the road is replete with irregularities, holes, etc.
For the wheel axle, a steel rod with a diameter of 30 mm is used, which is connected by welding, a gusset with spars and a longitudinal hinge housing, and corner supports. The length of the rod is 1070mm, the length is chosen such that the wheels do not protrude beyond the body contours.
Homemade track links
Homemade goose tracks can also be made yourself from any suitable material. The main thing to consider is how much work you are going to give your tiller.
DIY homemade caterpillars for a tiller
To increase the throughput of the tiller and use it as an all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile, you can equip it with tracks. They can be purchased ready-made, but they are expensive, and it is not always possible to choose the right option for your tiller. There are several ways to make a caterpillar for a tiller with your own hands.
Using our recommendations, you can easily convert your wheeled tiller into a tracked all-terrain vehicle. At the same time, you will not need expensive materials and too much time.
Of belts and chains
In order to make a tracked all-terrain vehicle from a tiller, you can use ordinary belts with a V-shaped profile. The connection of the belts to each other is carried out by grousers attached to them on rivets or screws. This gives us a belt track.
To make a goose from chains (chain tracks), you need to take two pieces of the same chain of the required length.
- The end links of both segments are expanded in order to connect them into two closed rings.
- The released links are clamped again, and then welded for strength.
- Sections are cut from steel of the required thickness, which will serve as lugs.
- The lugs are bolted at both ends to the links of both closed chains, thus forming a raised track on the tiller.
From a tire
It is enough just to make a durable reliable goose for the tiller from a tire. The process of manufacturing from a car tire will NOT take too long as it does not need to be stitched and lugs built up. the tire itself is a closed structure with a tread for traction.
The manufacturing process is divided into several stages:
- With a very sharp knife dipped in soapy water to enhance the cutting ability on rubber, cut a tape for the goose of the required width.
- Sides from the tire Cut off with a jigsaw with a file with a fine tooth.
- Rigid parts on the inside of the tire are also cut with a knife or jigsaw.
However, there are several points here, which should be noted:
- The tread pattern must be clearly defined, since its reliefs are a kind of lugs that increase the grip of the moving mechanism with the surface.
- The length of such a track is limited by the diameter of the tire, therefore, before attaching an additional pair of wheels, this should be taken into account.
From wooden blocks
Sometimes, if the load on the goose is not very large, you can use birch blocks as tracks. They are NOT particularly durable for heavy loads, but they are lightweight, accessible, and the track with such tracks can be repaired in any convenient place.
How to make a caterpillar for a tiller with your own hands
If you wish, you can independently modify your tiller, turning it into a tracked all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile. The main rule is that you should take into account what kind of work the tracks are intended for in order to choose the right material, because they should be Not only durable, but also extremely light.
Having the materials at hand, having correctly calculated the length of the caterpillar, you can make it yourself with the help of simple improvised means.
The first step is to equip your tiller with an extra pair of wheels. Each side pair will wear a Caterpillar.
The length of each of the two goslings will be equal to the circumference of one wheel and the distance between the axles of each pair of wheels, multiplied by two.
The material for homemade products can be:
- Conventional conveyor belt and sleeve-roller chain;
- Car tires;
- Belts and chains.
So, let’s consider several options for making a goose on your own, depending on the material used.
From conveyor belt
This method is the easiest, since it does not require a large number of Special tools and auxiliary materials.
- Choosing a belt for a caterpillar, giving preference to a strip, the thickness of which will not be less than 7 mm, because it has a fairly large load. Hitching with moving parts will be provided by a sleeve-roller chain.
- To give the tape strength and increase its operational life, it is recommended to sew along the edges of the tape with frequent stitches with a step of about 10 mm.
- It is also necessary to sew the tape along the ends in order to connect it into a ring of the required diameter, or use, for greater reliability, hinges resembling a piano canopy.
- Make sure that the additional wheelset you install on the tiller frame is the same diameter as the main wheels on the tiller.
From plastic pipes
You can use pieces of plastic pipe as tracks for a snowmobile goose. To do this, cut the plastic water pipe No. 40 into lengths equal to the width of the caterpillar. Using a circular saw, cut each section lengthwise into two equal halves, or use a circular saw for wood.
The resulting tracks must be attached at regular intervals to the conveyor belt with furniture bolts No. 6 with large hemispherical caps.
The most reliable are metal tracks made of high quality iron. For this purpose, metal pipes or a profile cut into pieces of the required length are suitable. A profile metal pipe is cut according to the same principle as a plastic one and is attached to a conveyor belt with bolts.
However, metal tracks, despite their noticeable strength, also have their disadvantages: they are heavy in comparison with plastic and wooden ones, and can bend during operation. To straighten the truck, you need to remove it from the goose, and this is a laborious operation.
When choosing the material from which the track links for your mini-all-terrain vehicle will be made, you should evaluate the degree of load and operating conditions. To overcome the snowy expanses on a homemade snowmobile, light plastic or wooden tracks are perfect, and to use the tiller as a mini-tractor, it is still better to make a caterpillar with metal lugs.