Why convert a cordless screwdriver to a network?
Battery-charged equipment periodically discharges if left unused. This fact is a problem, since the main components deteriorate when the charge in the battery drops frequently. As a result, during the first signs of a breakdown, the battery holds less and less charge. In such a situation, complete breakdown of the part cannot be prevented, it is better to either replace it or change it to a new one. By the way, the cost of the first and second options will be the same.
Tip: If the user is going to work with hard surfaces, choose devices with rotation parameters of at least 20 Nm. This is the Sparky BR2 10.8Li-C HD mechanism.
The second reason is to remake the device. quality of work. Owners of such devices will easily confirm that the torque process is sometimes interrupted. It is also annoying that the power is not the best level. again, the partial discharge is to blame. The situation is saved by connecting the device to the mains supply. Here are the benefits we get in the end:
- Charging time will be shortened and you can start working at any time.
- Functioning without restrictions, confidence that the device does not sit down halfway to the job done.
- Financial benefit: no need to periodically change the battery.
Tip: On high-quality equipment, there is protection against breakages, which is located near the nozzle. Such protection is available for devices Bosch PSR 1200, Bosch GSR 12V-15.
How to convert a cordless screwdriver into a network: 3 basic methods
It is not surprising that almost every house or apartment has a screwdriver. Unfortunately, devices based on a wireless network source often run out of power and break down. Since it is expensive to buy a new battery, most owners convert their cordless screwdrivers to cordless ones. In this article, we will tell you how to remake the device using the parts at hand. We will also touch on the topic of why this type of equipment breaks down most often. Read carefully!
Method number 2 (reconstruction based on a network unit from a computer)
For this type of reconstruction, only an AT class network unit is suitable. Such devices have a ventilation compartment, as well as buttons on. and off. The network block is used on many models of computers, so it will not be difficult for anyone to find an unnecessary part. Then check the output current, it should be at least 16 volts, and the power is 300.30 W.
- Disassemble the device and find the plate on which the wiring is fixed (board).
- Disable protection: locate the green electronic component on the board and attach to any other black wire.
- Find a design with two black, yellow and red wires (MOLEX pins). Attach or solder the extension cord to the yellow and black wires, and attach the other part to the screwdriver terminals. Now twist the mechanism.
Choosing a power supply for a screwdriver
The task can be accomplished in several details. For example, with a laptop charger, this rework is considered simple and unassuming. Therefore, if an unnecessary network block from a laptop is left at home, you can use it. Second detail. network block from a computer. This option implies a certain amount of knowledge and skills to work with a soldering iron. Another option is how to convert a screwdriver to a network one. engage the desired inverter welding. In the next section, we will describe in detail how to implement our plans in all three ways.
Tip: Pay attention to the device parameters. For effective drilling, the rpm must be at least 1300. For example, Bosch GSR 1440-LI and Makita DF347DWE machines have this characteristic.
Leviton Presents: How to Install an Electrical Wall Outlet
Screwdriver alteration process
reconstruction based on laptop power supply
As already mentioned, this reconstruction method is considered simple and does not require much time. Check first what output voltage the device is designed for. The best option would be 12-19 watts. In the next step, remove the unusable batteries from the device with a screwdriver and disassemble the device.
- Disconnect the entry (sized for the laptop connector) and strip the wires.
- Take the contacts and simply solder them to the device.
- Select a location on the device for the wire and drill it. At the end of the action, fold the structure and check for operability.
(reconstruction based on inverter welding)
Reconstruction of a screwdriver when using inverter welding involves lengthy checks and calculations for the fact that the necessary parts are working. The process of reworking itself is not complicated, it adheres to the same technology as in the previous methods. You just need to remove the old battery, and in its place, attach the cord entry to the contacts. In the case of inverter welding, you will also need to install a secondary coil.
Based on the article read, we can say that this goal can be achieved in different ways. For this, a number of items are used, such as: laptop charger, computer power supply and inverter welding. However, the most successful and uncomplicated reconstruction will be based on a laptop power supply. So, not a huge detail will not weigh down the apparatus and will work for a long time. Be careful, all actions related to electrical devices oblige you to follow safety rules.
See Converting a cordless screwdriver to a mains
How to convert a cordless screwdriver to a network
The cordless screwdriver is absolutely indispensable in any household. However, during operation, its battery gradually loses its capacity, which leads to its complete failure. Many people solve the problem by purchasing a new battery. In some cases, this is unprofitable, because the cost of some batteries is sometimes comparable to the price of a new screwdriver. The most optimal solution is to modify the instrument for mains power supply.
Since the operating voltage required to operate the screwdriver is between 12 and 24 volts, an appropriate power source will be required. Best suited for this role are standard devices for charging screwdriver batteries, or power supplies from laptops or computers.
A standard battery charger is usually small, so craftsmen tend to place it inside a screwdriver. First, disconnect the battery from the tool, disassemble it and remove all power sources in it. Then, a charger is installed in the case. It is fixed with double-sided tape, or with a thermal gun.
Low voltage wires are soldered to the battery terminals. In this case, it is important to observe the polarity, otherwise the tool will immediately fail. As a rule, the body of the compact charger is equipped with a built-in plug, therefore, to connect it to the mains, you will need to make a connector. To do this, the housing and fastening elements are removed from a conventional electrical outlet, leaving only the contact part on a plastic base. A double-insulated flexible power cord is connected to it and equipped with a plug. The wire is led out through a specially made cut in the case.
To prevent the connector from disconnecting from the charger during operation, it is attached with rubber bands or electrical tape. At the end of the work, the battery case is assembled and installed in the screwdriver handle.
The power supply from an old laptop or computer has a large size that does not allow it to be placed inside the battery case. Because of this, it usually has to be installed on a workbench or other convenient location. In order not to hinder your movements and to simplify the work as much as possible, the low voltage wire coming from the current source must be lengthened to 2-4 meters. For this purpose, they simply cut off the connector from it and build it up with another cord.
Further, everything unnecessary is removed from the battery case and its contacts are soldered to the wire terminals. In this case, we must not forget about the observance of polarity, which is easy to check with a conventional tester. The tool is now ready for use.
Mounting the finished power supply in the old battery case
If it was possible to purchase a power supply unit with the corresponding indicators on the market, installation and alteration is carried out in several simple steps:
- Dismantle the old battery housing, remove the spent elements.
- Install a new power supply in such a way that it fits snugly against the case, if necessary, you can glue it, connect high voltage wires (output from a 220 volt outlet).
- Connect the low voltage terminals to the power supply of the electric motor of the wrench, in the absence of contacts, the wires will have to be re-soldered.
- Assemble the body after alteration and install the unit on the screwdriver.
Mounting the finished power supply in the old battery case
It must be remembered that compact power supplies are heated in an enclosed space, therefore several holes must be drilled on different sides of the case for ventilation.
DIY screwdriver alteration
There are enough craftsmen in everyday life of the household, there are many ways how to convert a screwdriver to mains power. It is enough to provide the required voltage for the electric drive of the device.
Disassembled cordless screwdriver
In some cases, for alteration, it is enough to use the charger from the kit, it is available, because supplied complete with a screwdriver. It is quite simple to remake such a structure, it is enough to disassemble the screwdriver, connect the output contacts on the charger with the drive wires. The voltage produced by the charger after the alteration corresponds to the technical characteristics of the drive, there is no need to worry about the safety of the electrical part. It is also worth noting that there is no need to disassemble the device completely. only the wires designated for use need to be connected. A significant drawback is the size of the charger, it is not convenient to constantly move it during work and causes discomfort.
The power supply of the screwdriver can be achieved by several types of blocks. The case accommodates some of them, the rest are outside.
There are many ways to alter a cordless screwdriver, all have pros and cons.
- In the case of the old battery, a place is organized for the finished power supply unit. The alteration is simple, no intervention in the electrical circuit is required, it is enough to carefully perform the work, to achieve a perfect appearance. The disadvantages are the time spent looking for a block with the appropriate voltage and size. Also, small devices usually heat up in an enclosed space, it is necessary to provide the device with ventilation by making holes in the case.
- Installing a homemade energy source is a more complex solution, it requires finding the necessary radio parts and understanding the circuit. The advantages of this method of alteration are low financial costs, no losses when using a low voltage cable, no changes in the appearance of the device.
- An external power supply unit can be used when working in one place, since the device’s mobility and compactness are lost. There are also costs associated with finding a suitable voltage for the electric drive of the screwdriver.
- The most common external type device is a computer power supply. The advantages are that it is easy to find it on disassembly for a reasonable price, there are no complicated rework processes. However, the bulky design will not be to everyone’s taste.
How to power a screwdriver while maintaining its autonomy
There are situations when you have to work in the absence of electricity. Powering a screwdriver without a 220 network is possible in several available ways. In such cases, if the battery of the device is faulty, and alteration from the mains is impossible, there are several ways to activate the wrench:
- Replace the battery cells inside the battery with new ones purchased from radio parts.
- Using an external rechargeable power source such as a UPS battery.
- Connected and powered by car battery.
It is important to remember that any alteration requires technical skills and safety.
Connecting to an external battery
An external battery source can be of increased capacity, it is necessary to select a cell suitable for voltage. The battery is mainly used from an uninterruptible power supply. Alteration is not difficult, does not require large financial costs.
For alteration, you need a wire with a cross section of at least 2.5 mm, up to 2 meters long. It is necessary to disassemble the tool, remove the old battery cells, connect the wire to the terminals. Make a neat hole for the power cord, assemble a converted screwdriver and try it out at work.
Connecting the screwdriver to the charger
It is necessary to understand that at low voltage there are losses in the cable, therefore, it must have a cross-section of at least 2.5 mm, and a length of no more than 1.5 meters. In order to figure out whether it is possible to connect a screwdriver to the charger, you need to perform a number of actions.
The sequence of alteration for power supply from the charger:
- Solder and redo the wires to the charger, usually the contacts are located in a conspicuous place, one is responsible for the plus, the second for the mass. When working, the charger must be disconnected from the network.
- Then you need to disassemble the unusable battery, dismantle the old elements;
- A hole is drilled in the case for the cable, for a tight connection, the cable is wrapped with electrical tape or fixed with a shrink tape.
- For a balanced weight, a piece of dense wood or rubber must be placed in the remaining space, this will contribute to a competent weight distribution and the hand will not get tired during work.
- The final step is to solder the wires to the power supply of the electric drive, assemble the body of the power tool after alteration.
Replacing old elements
When purchasing new battery cells in radio components, it is necessary to check their capacity and voltage on the spot.
In case of improper storage, the batteries lose their capacity, do not meet the declared characteristics.
- Unscrew the screws securing the case, remove the cover and the old battery cells.
- Place new cells, soldered together, into the battery case.
- Assemble in the reverse order, after alteration try the work.
When soldering, you must act quickly, otherwise overheating of the battery can cause an unusable condition due to temperature changes.
How to remake a cordless screwdriver
The cordless screwdriver is used everywhere, both in the household and in small industries. Mobility and autonomy allow you to perform work away from the electrical network for a certain time. The battery has a certain number of charge cycles, after which it is not suitable for further use. There are several reasons, the battery is a very capricious element that breaks down even if not properly stored and inactive. The high price of a screwdriver prompts you to learn how to convert a cordless screwdriver into a network.
Do-it-yourself conversion of a cordless screwdriver into a network
The third option is to convert the cordless screwdriver for mains operation. You will need knowledge of electronics and circuitry, so this is not for everyone. In addition, you will need to know the operating parameters of your battery.
If the battery is broken, then you can ask people on the DIY forums to measure the parameters of the current and voltage of the battery. This will help you make the mains power supply. Basically, if you have a good knowledge of electronics, you can simply disassemble the battery. In its design, there will be chemical batteries connected in a certain way. Knowing their type, from the name of the battery, as well as the connection diagram, you can quickly estimate the parameters of the battery. And then assemble the rectifier with the required operating parameters. Or even replace the cells in a failed battery. And then you don’t have to assemble the rectifier.
How to convert a screwdriver to a 220 volt network. Cordless mains screwdriver
DIY screwdriver alteration
Just a network screwdriver
A more expensive screwdriver is a specialized network. Such a tool has a built-in gearbox, most often of the planetary type.
They are positioned as a professional tool and cost significantly more.
How to make a network out of a cordless screwdriver. several options
Conversion of a screwdriver from a battery to a mains supply. There are many options. only one result!
Those who have used a cordless screwdriver have appreciated its convenience. At any time, without getting tangled in the wires, you can crawl into hard-to-reach niches. Until the battery runs out.
This is the first drawback. it needs regular recharging. Sooner or later, batteries will run out of charge cycles.
This is the second drawback. This moment will come the sooner, the cheaper your instrument. Saving money when buying, we most often buy inexpensive Chinese “no-name” devices.
There is nothing wrong with that, but you should be aware that the manufacturer saves as much as you do. Consequently, the most expensive unit (namely, the battery) will be the cheapest when bundled. As a result, we get an excellent tool with a serviceable motor and not a worn gearbox, which does not work due to a poor-quality battery.
There is an option to purchase a new set of batteries, or replace faulty batteries in the unit. However, this is a budget event. The cost is comparable to buying a new screwdriver.
The second option is to use a spare or old battery from the car (if you have one). But the starter battery is heavy, and the use of such a tandem is not very comfortable.
IMPORTANT! Many screwdrivers have an operating voltage of 16-19 volts. Even a fully charged car battery will not provide this voltage. And we mean the use of a used battery, where the terminals can have a maximum of 10.5-11.5 volts.
Benefits of cordless screwdrivers
Cordless screwdrivers are very convenient on the construction site. they are very easy to work with on the roof, in difficult conditions, where dragging wires will only get in the way and create unnecessary danger. But this is where the battery breaks down most often. the screwdriver fell, the battery broke, and you have to look for a new one.
Let’s figure out how to make a screwdriver from the network.
The best option for powering a battery-powered screwdriver from the mains
What is available for reworking a screwdriver in our case? Laptop power supply 15 volts, 6 amperes. There is also a computer power supply unit, slightly altered, conclusions are drawn, but there are no changes in the scheme. Power supply from a halogen lamp. Lamp power 12 volts, 50 watts. There is a charger for car batteries with a current regulator. It will be used both as a power source and as a separate ammeter.
So let’s get started. Let’s start connecting directly from the power supply. The pins are already connected. 12 volts, idle. 3 amperes. Maximum ratchet. As you can see on the device, the current reaches 8 amperes.
Trying a laptop PSU for fifteen volts, six amps. No-load current 4 amperes. In ratchet mode, the maximum current is 9 amperes, the voltage is 14 volts. It turns out that the 6-amp power supply copes with this task.
The turn of the computer unit has come. It easily withstands the load.
How to make a screwdriver from the network
The mains screwdriver is the dream of many DIYers. In principle, it happens that in a home workshop there is no need for a cordless tool. You can have access to the outlet at any time. Of course, it’s convenient to have a cordless screwdriver in your hands. But when you work, you hold in your hands, in addition to the tool itself, also a battery. And it will be harder.
Also, batteries often break, break. And since on sale you are unlikely to buy a battery separately from a screwdriver, you have to puzzle over how you can provide your screwdriver with the necessary power from the outlet, bypassing battery devices.
Pros and cons of this connection method
The advantage is one and it is always in sight. ease of use, because you no longer need to fiddle with carriers, stumble over wires or worry that the tee will loosen the socket contacts and fall out of it.
In order to fully assess the possible shortcomings, you need to disassemble the device and see which wire is connected to it. most often this is a wiring with a cross section of 1.5 or 2.5 square millimeters. Such a cable can easily withstand the connection of one household device with a power of about 2 kW and, with some stretch, a couple of such devices. The sockets and wires are saved by the fact that several powerful devices are rarely connected to one of them. basically this is one device of 1-2 kW and is somewhat weaker.
Before you draw an outlet or several from an existing one, it must be borne in mind that each subsequent one is a wire connection, which is an additional resistance to electric current. Even if you connect one powerful device, but to the last outlet, then there is a possibility of heating the previous contacts. The nature of the electric current is such that it has a vibration effect on the wiring, as a result of which the contacts inevitably weaken over time. According to the rules, all electrical contacts at enterprises must undergo an annual check and tighten bolted connections.
On the other hand, in living rooms the most powerful device is usually an electric heater. if it is not artisanal, with contacts made unknown how, then two series-connected sockets and their wiring can freely withstand it.
The third question is the kitchen. it is there that the most powerful devices are usually collected in terms of electricity consumption: dishwasher, microwave oven, electric oven, oven, electric kettle, toaster and others that “eat” from 1.5 kW. It is categorically not recommended to “hang” them on one wire, except that these will be the weakest of them, for example, a microwave paired with a kettle or toaster.
Choosing a wiring method
All ways to lead the socket from the socket are reduced to how they will be fixed. inside the wall, outside or from the inside of the “parent” point, the wires will be brought out. All other working points are solved in all cases in the same way:
- Wire thickness. Everything is simple here. they should not be thinner than those that fit the “main” outlet. Otherwise, when a sufficiently powerful consumer is connected to the “daughter” outlet, the contacts will warm up. sooner or later the wire insulation, the plastic cover, or both together will melt.
- Design. From the point of view of functionality, there are no special restrictions here. some will be satisfied “if only it works”, while others will choose “to be beautiful and combined with each other and with wallpaper”
- The procedure for connecting contacts. On household devices, there may be two or three. If there are two, then this is phase and zero. which wire to connect to does not matter, the main thing is that they are “planted” on different contacts. When three wires are used, this is phase zero and ground. its socket contact usually sticks out of the device body when you remove the cover from it. On the contact, you need to find a fastening bolt and screw a ground wire there.
- Grounding. It all depends on its presence. if it is in the first outlet, then it is strongly recommended to conduct the grounding wire to the following points. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the requirements of the PUE. the cable should be as solid as possible with separate leads to each point.
In the last question, there is one important nuance. initially the ground wire was connected directly to the grounding contacts, but it is impossible to connect it in the same way as the phase and neutral wires. from contact to contact. This is prohibited, since in the event of a wire burnout, all subsequent devices will remain unprotected. How to make the correct connection is shown in the figure. the main wire is unscrewed from the contact and twisting is done on it.
A separate vein goes to the first point and one more. “main”. to all the others. It is directly connected to the last point, and the previous ones, like the main one, are “hung” on it using separate wires.
All further actions depend on the installation method.
It is found in its pure form in wooden houses or among fans of the “retro” design style.
In the first case, its use is due to strict fire safety requirements, which do not allow theoretically flammable objects to be laid in wooden walls. Additional difficulties here can be metal pipes, into which wires are often inserted to avoid even theoretically possible contact with the wall surface. This means that connecting the outlet from another outlet in this case means almost 100% guarantee of the need for additional plumbing work.
If the wiring is simply made in the “retro” style, then adding another from one outlet means breaking the whole picture being created. The whole point of this style is that the wires are neatly routed from the junction box to the outlet. Often they are twisted in a spiral and generally look like an openwork weaving hanging in the air. In order not to risk spoiling the whole design, it is easier, more beautiful and more reliable to spend a little more cable, but to make a separate outlet from the junction box.
If you really need two sockets and for some reason it is not possible to stretch the wire from the junction box, then there is another way out of this situation. It consists in placing the new outlet next to the old one. on one dielectric support. If they have the same design, then this will already be a made block of outlets. in this case, the wires can be hidden behind their covers and the overall picture will not suffer.
The general principle by which the correct connection of new points is carried out in a combined way is as follows:
- It is trite, but necessary. the electricity is turned off in the apartment (or only the outlet itself is de-energized).
- The cover is removed from the “parent” socket, it is estimated how much it covers the hole for the socket.
- The expanding antennae that hold the inner part of the socket in the socket are loosened. it is removed so that there is free access to the contacts.
- Wires are connected that will go to the new outlet.
- Before you insert the inner part of the socket into place, you need to check whether its limiter will crush the wire (usually it is a steel rectangular plate protruding beyond the socket with its entire perimeter). If this is the case, then you need to carefully chop off a piece of the socket (and maybe the walls) so that the wire can pass freely there. Next, the socket is installed in place.
- A hole is cut on the cover to fit the wire so that it fits well against the wall. Then the body is screwed into place.
- The connected wire is lowered to the plinth and is led along it to the desired place, fastening with brackets for electrical wiring every 30-40 cm.
This video details the installation and connection of sockets:
The results of such a method, like connecting one or several more from one outlet, are professional electricians with a certain coolness, especially if some shortcomings were made during the installation process. But for a number of reasons, this is most often done by home craftsmen, if you need to connect another one from one outlet. an additional outlet, and you cannot drill a wall.
Such situations happen all the time, for example, in rented apartments. the owners do not give permission for redevelopment, and in some houses sockets are made only on one, maximum two, walls of four and it is far from the fact that they are located in the right places.
This is both hidden and open wiring. it belongs to the first since the wires are not visible, and it falls into the second category because the wires are not walled up in the wall and you can get to them. In addition to standard tools (unless an outlet block is installed), steel wire is required for installation. The procedure is as follows:
- The socket and the socket are removed from the wall. They are screwed to drywall, so you don’t have to break anything.
- Steel wire is inserted into the hole and pushed in the direction where the new socket is planned to be installed. At this stage, you just need to make sure that there is a gap between the plasterboard plates, profiles and the wall, into which the corrugation with the wire will pass (you cannot leave the wiring inside unprotected from mechanical damage).
- If you can find a way with the wire, then a hole is drilled in the right place for a new socket. A strong rope is screwed to the wire and pulled back.
- Then, with the help of a rope, a corrugation is pulled between the sockets, wires are inserted into it and connected.
If you cannot stretch the wire between the profiles, then a more radical means is used. a sheet of drywall is unscrewed, the wire is pulled and screwed back. It remains to putty the destroyed joints and install the socket. In some cases, instead of unscrewing a whole sheet, a hole in the required shape is simply cut out in the drywall (after unscrewing the fastening screws), which is then put in place and putty.
Hiding wire options
The way in which the socket is fixed is chosen depending on how you plan to use it. The new socket (for this type of installation, an external one is chosen) can be screwed to the skirting board or simply left as a carrier. The wire that goes from the outlet to the plinth can be brought into the cable channel, but for this it must be glued to the wallpaper or rigidly fixed between the outlet cover and the plinth itself.
If wallpaper is pasted on the wall, then they are cut along the mowing line of the wire laying and spread apart. In order not to break them, it is advisable to wet the seam. When the wallpaper is peeled off from the wall, you can scratch a groove for the wire in it, lay it down, putty and stick the wallpaper back.
List of materials and working tools
Transforming a cordless screwdriver into a network one is quite easy and educational. If you have the necessary skills and all the components, it will take a little time. It will be useful for you:
- charger from a screwdriver;
- outdated (“factory”) battery;
- soft electrical cable (stranded);
- soldering iron, solder;
- insulation tape.
Before you start altering the device, you need to choose a suitable sized AC adapter for the screwdriver so that it fits into the battery case.
Making A Screwdriver From Scratch With High Caliber Craftsman
In addition, you need to remove everything in the middle, and measure the inner space, the sizes of the inner and outer contents differ from each other.
Next, you should examine the markings or design on the body of the working tool to determine the supply voltage. If the indicator is different from 12v, the search for a substitute device continues. Then it is necessary to calculate the current consumption of the screwdriver, such parameters are not indicated by the manufacturer. To do this, you need to know the power.
In order to exclude any calculations, you can also pick up the power supply by eye. During the purchase process, in addition to the “charging” current, ask about the battery capacity. Take, for example, the capacity is 1.2 Amperes, and the charging is 2.5, then the resulting current should fluctuate approximately between these values. Before finding the missing power supply, it is recommended to display the following on paper:
- Dimensions (edit)
- Minimum current
- Required supply voltage
Screwdriver battery wiring diagram
The sequence of actions in the presence of the required block:
- After you find the optimal power supply and check it for similarities with the declared characteristics, the screwdriver is disassembled, and the old drive is removed. If the body is glued, you can tap a little around the seam with a hammer. Or take a thin knife, placing it on the seam with a tip, gently knock with a hammer. The problem will be solved.
- The cord, as well as the leads from the plug are separated by means of a soldering iron.
- The place previously occupied by the power supply of the cordless screwdriver contains the other contents of the case.
- The cord connected to the mains comes out through the opening in the case, then it is connected to the power supply with a soldering iron.
- Soldering again combines the output of the power supply together with the battery terminals. An important rule is the polarity.
- The power supply is connected to the device, after which testing takes place.
- If the dimensions of the new unit exceed the previous one, it is possible to embed it in the middle of the screwdriver handle.
- A diode of the required power is installed with a parallel supply output from the inside of the wire break “” between the battery socket, including its output, but with the “-” pole towards the engine. This is done so that voltage does not flow from the mains to the battery.
To convert the old design into a power supply, some improvement needs to be done, namely the addition of a secondary coil.
The dignity of the inverter, when compared with the laptop’s battery, is immediately noticeable. The design makes it possible to obtain the required voltage and current at the output. The method is good for those who are versed in radio engineering.
Benefits of the upgrade
The transformation of a cordless tool into a device that works continuously from the mains has the following advantages:
- There is no need to recharge the device completely, and downtime during long work is reduced.
- Provides constant amperage so that the torque remains constant.
- The screwdriver can not be used for a long time, its technical parameters do not deteriorate.
The only drawback of improving the device is the presence of an electrical outlet near the work being performed. This problem can be easily solved by connecting an extension cord.
Using a power supply from an old laptop
A laptop battery is quite suitable for introducing a power supply for a screwdriver.
- The screwdriver body is completely disassembled. The old source is removed, the wiring is disassembled with a soldering iron.
- Connecting the wiring of the new unit to the wiring of the old one that held the previous one. Observe polarity!
- By activating the “start” button, check the performance of the screwdriver, as well as the correct connection.
- The screwdriver body is provided with a hole where the plug with a charging connector is placed. Now the tool not only works from 220V, but also recharges like a laptop (computer).
- The new power supply is installed in the middle with glue.
- Other body elements are put back in place. That’s all, you can get to work!
How to make a power supply for a 12v and 18v screwdriver yourself
An experienced master in the field of construction always has his irreplaceable tool at hand. a screwdriver. This is explained by the fact that this device is multifunctional and greatly facilitates the work, which cannot be said about screwing in screws with a screwdriver. However, over time, any technique, including a cordless screwdriver, loses its effectiveness during work and no longer works as before. What to do and what to do if you are faced with such a problem? Of course, you can buy a new battery, but we are not looking for easy ways, and the price of a new battery “bites”, so we offer the following alternative. One of the ways out of this situation is to design a homemade power supply for the instrument.
Making a transformer coil
There is also another technology for transforming a device into a network device. Based on the production of a portable power supply unit. An elastic wire is connected to the screwdriver, on the opposite side of which there is a plug.
True, you will need to make a separate power supply unit or take a ready-made transformer equipped with a rectifier. It is important that its parameters coincide with the characteristics of the instrument.
It will be difficult for an unknowing person to make transformer coils with their own hands. There is a possibility of a mistake in the number of turns and the selection of the wire diameter, therefore it is not recommended to do this. Today there are many equipment in which the required transformer is already built in. You just need to choose the right one and make a rectifier for it. For soldering the rectifier bridge, semiconductor diodes are used. Their parameters must match the device.
Alteration with a standard battery and charging
Converting a cordless screwdriver to a network one in this case assumes that the circuit is assembled on the basis of a standard charger. The following materials will be required:
- Accumulator battery;
- 2-3 meters of flexible stranded copper wire, with two conductors, section 2.5-4 mm2;
- The usual set of tools and consumables, a soldering iron, solder, electrical tape or heat shrink tubing of the appropriate diameter to the wires. To disassemble the screwdriver, you will need a screwdriver, side cutters and an assembly knife for cutting and stripping wires.
The sequence of operations in the process of converting a screwdriver into a network:
- The cover is removed from the charger case;
- The ends of the wire are soldered to the output contacts of the charger board, which are connected to the battery during charging, observing the polarity. A core with red insulation. to the “” terminal, with blue insulation. to the minus terminal;
- Polarities can be determined by the inscriptions on the board or the product case. For reliability, you can turn on the charging and measure the 12V output with a multimeter, and determine the contacts by polarity;
- Galvanic cells are removed from the battery case;
How are galvanic cells removed from the battery compartment?
- A wire from charging is connected to the contacts inside the battery case, observing the polarity.
Thus, the screwdriver is transformed into a network one. When the device is plugged into the socket, the corresponding voltage of 12 or 18 V DC will be supplied to the input circuit of the screwdriver.
Polarity is recommended but not required. When the polarity changes, the motor shaft will rotate in the opposite direction, all modern screwdrivers have a polarity change switch, in fact, the rotation of the screwdriver chuck is reversed.
Important! The terminals on the charger board are usually made of a brass alloy, they must be soldered to copper wires with acid solder or removed altogether, and the wires must be soldered to the tracks of the printed circuit board.
Before soldering, holes are made in the battery and charger cases through which the wire is pulled. For a more rigid fixation, it can be tied into a knot within the body and wound with electrical tape so that the winding diameter exceeds the hole Ø.
Replacing a faulty charging board with a power supply unit from a computer
In the case when the charging board is faulty in the set of the screwdriver control unit, in order to make the network option, a power supply unit with parameters suitable for voltage and power is installed. Sometimes the power supply comes from a personal computer. It should be borne in mind that the mains supply is converted to 12 volts DC, the screwdriver at idle consumes up to 4A current, for a short time at the moment of tightening. more than 40A, then the peak value of power consumption can be up to 480 W.
You can install a PSU from a laptop, they are compact and easy to use, but the maximum power of these models is within 100W, a little more is not always enough.
Laptop power supply
The output voltage is 19V, there are screwdrivers with such a power supply.
Power (P) = 19 A x 6.15 A = 117 W, then you can add a 12V converter, and the screwdriver will idle and tighten the bolts with little effort. When screwing self-tapping screws into a dense wooden surface, such a power supply may not last long. it will burn.
The location of the power supply inside the PC system unit
It is safer to use power supplies from the system units of stationary computers. They are more powerful and in all respects are suitable for connection to screwdrivers.
The peak power of such a power supply is 500W; the nominal load for long-term operation is 460W, this is just what you need for a screwdriver with a 12V power supply.
AX500-A board in a housing
There is a fan on the top cover of the metal case, which is connected via connectors to the board. Ventilated cooling allows the PSU to withstand high peak loads of 500W for a few minutes. Sometimes the fans are located on the side walls, it depends on the PSU model.
To connect such a power supply to a screwdriver, you need to perform just a few operations:
- Disconnect all power supply connectors from the motherboard and other elements of the system unit;
- Unscrew the fastening screws on the power supply unit and the system unit, then remove it from the system unit;
- There are no problems with connecting to a 220V network, a wire with a connector is included in the power supply kit;
- You will have to look for a 12 volt output, there are even two of them in this PSU model, you can find it by the markings on the printed circuit board. On some connectors, the output voltage is written opposite the pins;
Designation of contacts on PSU connectors
For your information. When there are no inscriptions, you can navigate by the color of the conductors; in this series, 12V power supplies are connected from the board to the connector by wires with yellow insulation. The minus connection is done with black wires.
- To check the correctness of the selected pair, you need to turn on the power supply and measure the voltage with a multimeter;
Note! In our case, a pulsed power supply unit is used, which will not start outside the system unit circuit. Without going into the details of the operation of individual semiconductor elements, we will simply accept as an axiom that a refinement is needed, which consists in a simple jumper.
- The green wire, designed to turn on the power supply unit according to the standard scheme, must be connected to the black conductor, this is done directly on the board. An extra piece of green wire is bite off, the remaining end is stripped and soldered to the board track to the black conductor;
Modification in the power supply unit AX500-A, installation of a jumper
- After the completion of the revision, the power supply unit can be connected to the network and check the presence of 12V on the selected pair of wires with a multimeter;
- The yellow and black conductors can be lengthened and the connector soldered to them;
- In the battery case for connecting a screwdriver, as in the previous cases, galvanic cans that have served their life are removed, and the mating part of the connector to the mowing line from the power supply is installed. The options may be different, you can solder the cord to the screwdriver, and the connector can be connected to the power supply, to whom it is convenient;
The conclusions from the 12V power supply are soldered to the connector that goes to the screwdriver
- When soldering connectors and connections, do not forget to first put heat-shrinkable tubes on the wires and shrink them with a hot air gun, isolating the soldering points. As a last resort, do it with ordinary duct tape;
- Unused leads from the power supply unit can be bitten off or rolled up, the ends can be insulated and folded inside the case.
Block AX500-A with fan
Note! Remember to connect the fan when assembling the case. If you unsoldered or bit off it during the installation process, you need to remember the connection contacts. The fan is powered by a 12V mowing line, by this indicator, you can easily find the connection points of the screwdriver.
Alteration of a screwdriver for power from an outlet network
In the economy of a modern person, a screwdriver is not a rare tool, practically this tool is an analogue of an electric drill. The advantage of this type is considered to be autonomous power supply from a portable battery embedded in the lower part of the handle. The battery must be periodically charged from the mains through a special charger, with prolonged use the battery fails, replacement is required, and they are not cheap. Therefore, many users are thinking about how to remake a cordless screwdriver so that it works on 220 volts.
General view of one of the options
Sometimes consumers decide that it is necessary to convert the screwdriver into an ordinary electric drill powered from a wall outlet. The question arises of how to do this with less time and money. If you have certain knowledge in electrical engineering and practical skills, then powering a screwdriver from a 220V network is easy to do. There are several ways using various devices to convert electricity to the appropriate form for rotating the screwdriver motor.
Ways to remake a cordless screwdriver
Alteration of a screwdriver for mains power consists in converting 220V AC voltage to 12 or 18V DC voltage. One of the safest and easiest ways to convert a screwdriver into a network version is to use its standard components.
Transformer circuit for powering the screwdriver
One of the available ways to quickly power the screwdriver from the network is to use the classic circuit with a 220V / 12-15V step-down transformer and a diode bridge, an AC-to-DC converter.
Transformer power supply circuit
All elements are easily placed in any case, the necessary controls, monitoring and indication are displayed on the front panel.
Transformers and diodes with appropriate parameters, withstanding powers of more than 100W, can be taken from old household appliances (TVs, tape recorders), from voltage stabilizers and other power supplies. If necessary, we redo the transformer, wind up the secondary winding or put an output in the winding for a certain number of turns, to achieve 12-15V at the output.
Installation of elements of the transformer power supply in the case
It is recommended to place the diodes on a duralumin heatsink, which effectively removes heat, extending the service life. Having certain practical skills and knowledge in electrical engineering, the transformer can be wound with your own hands.
There are many power supplies on the market with suitable characteristics to power the screwdriver from the mains, but this requires financial costs. If you have an old system unit from a PC, it is easy to remake the power supply, especially since, if necessary, it is easy to restore it to its original state and use it for its intended purpose.
How to do it yourself
Before remaking a screwdriver, it is necessary to clearly determine what power and what voltage the tool needs to work. From this it will be necessary to proceed.
Then the tool body is opened. The two halves of the case can be fastened with screws or with glue. When disassembling, a knife can be very useful.
After opening the case, a power supply or a wire is inserted inside, the contacts of which must be soldered to the charger. Soldering should be as effective as possible, using special solutions.
The other end of the wire must be designed for mains supply. So there should be a fork. It is recommended to make a hole in the housing in advance through which the cable will pass.
A homemade power supply can be obtained in several ways. In any case, you will get a full-fledged tool that can be used to perform work after connecting to the network. It is advisable to pre-prepare a diagram that will help you avoid mistakes when creating a block.
common power supplies that have proven to be reliable and efficient in many areas. The device consists of a step-down transformer and a rectifier through which the undervoltage passes. Rectifiers vary depending on the number of diodes used.
Such elements are easy to manufacture, cheap and reliable. Therefore, they are often preferred. They provide stable voltage without interference with high maximum power. But there are also a few downsides. The main disadvantage is bulkiness, with a much lower efficiency than that of pulsed sources. This fact requires the selection of a power supply for the screwdriver with a power greater than the tool needs. Since part of the capacity will go to side processes.
Alteration of the power supply unit made in China
Perfect for creating a power supply for a 12 volt screwdriver with your own hands, ordinary Chinese power supplies with an output voltage of 24 V and a current of 9 A. But since the tools use less voltage, you need to lower it first.
To achieve the goal, you need to replace the original resistor R10 with an adjustable resistor, with which you can achieve the desired voltage. This is done in several stages:
- a constant resistor is removed;
- in its place, a previously prepared adjustable resistor is inserted, on which a resistance of 2300 ohms will be set;
- so far, the voltage is still 24 V;
- using the resistor settings, you need to achieve the required voltage on the contacts.
After all the manipulations, you need to check that the output voltage is the required value (12 V, 14 V, etc.), and also that the current exceeds 9 A.
We use laptop charging
An excellent option is to use laptop charging. Such devices usually operate with a voltage of 12 to 19 V. This is quite enough to ensure high-quality operation of the screwdriver. But do not neglect the output current indicators. The closer it is to the required, the better.
In this case, reworking a screwdriver for mains power is reduced to an elementary soldering of wires from the charger to the board in the tool. It is advisable to isolate everything with electrical tape or other similar materials. After that, the wire is brought out and the tool can be used.
The principle of operation of pulse systems is that the voltage is first rectified and then converted into a special pulse signal. In this case, it is important to achieve a stable voltage. This can be helped by a transformer winding or resistors.
Switching power supplies are quite effective and can be used in different conditions. At the same time, they have a high level of protection against short circuits and similar effects. However, in terms of power, impulse systems are clearly inferior to transformer ones. In addition, such units are very capricious to the input voltage. If it is lower than the set, then the element may simply not work.
Converting a screwdriver to mains power: 5 ways
The value of a screwdriver as a home or construction tool, most often, lies in its portability. However, due to certain circumstances, portability sometimes has to be abandoned in favor of functionality. It is about converting a cordless screwdriver into a mains-powered tool. This process has a number of subtleties that it is advisable to observe.
Computer power supply
You can make a screwdriver from the network using an unnecessary power supply from a computer. There are many types of such devices, but almost all of them are suitable for a screwdriver. The required wires can be found by colors, making inquiries on the manufacturer’s website.
Power supplies from computers are distinguished by their durability, advanced overload protection and a host of other advantages. They may not be very convenient due to their size, but a long wire will help solve this problem.
The procedure for connecting the computer power supply to the screwdriver:
- disassemble the block;
- remove the protection against switching on by disconnecting the green wire from the board;
- this wire must be connected to the black connector on the device;
- separate all wires except yellow and black;
- these two wires are soldered to the extension cable;
- the second end of the cable is directly connected to the screwdriver;
- all open contacts are isolated if possible.
Thus, a power supply unit for a 14 volt screwdriver will turn out from a computer device.
Required materials and tools
Materials and tools when reworking a screwdriver completely depend on the type of tool and the type of power source, as well as its features. But to summarize, there are several main tools:
- insulating materials;
- cable for supplying electricity;
- soldering iron and soldering materials;
- any case for the future power supply.
Battery cell types
These devices use elements of different types and voltages, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages.
The most common. nickel-cadmium (Ni. Cd) voltage 1.2V.
- low price;
- stored in a discharged state.
- have a memory effect;
- high self-discharge;
- small capacity;
- low number of charge / discharge cycles.
advanced 1.2V nickel metal hydride (Ni-MH).
- lower memory effect and self-discharge;
- large capacity and number of charge / discharge cycles.
- higher price;
- poorly tolerate low temperatures and storage in a discharged state.
The most advanced 3.6V lithium-ion (Li-Ion).
- lack of memory effect;
- very low self-discharge current;
- high specific capacity, allowing to reduce the weight and dimensions of the device;
- the number of charge / discharge cycles many times higher than other types of batteries.
- high price;
- loss of capacity three years after manufacture.
How to make a homemade power supply
In addition to the purchased one, the power supply can be made independently. This requires a 160W transformer, such as were installed in tube TVs.
First of all, you need to determine the required number of turns. The procedure is as follows:
- disassemble the transformer;
- unwind all secondary windings from the coil;
- wind 10 turns of wire;
- assemble the transformer;
- connect to a 220V network;
- measure the voltage on the secondary winding;
- divide the number of turns (in this case 10) by the measured voltage.
The resulting value is multiplied by the supply voltage of the screwdriver and the required number of turns is obtained.
Attention! The number of turns per volt can be obtained by measuring the voltage and counting the turns in the secondary winding.
The lowering winding is wound with a wire with a cross section of 1mm² to reduce the voltage drop in the transformer.
There is an alternating voltage at the output of the transformer, and the device needs a constant one, therefore, a diode bridge is installed in addition to the transformer. It is assembled from diodes on radiators, with a voltage of more than 20V and a current of 10A. It is mounted together with a transformer or in a battery case, from which the elements are removed.
Assembling a serviceable battery from two that have lost capacity
Two faulty devices can be assembled into one serviceable.
Important! By connecting the power supply unit to the case of the defective battery, the second repaired one will provide mobility when performing small amounts of work.
Computer power supply
The easiest and cheapest option is to use a power supply from an old computer with a power of at least 300W and a current of 15A.
In the old blocks there was a switch, in modern ones. to turn it on, you need to close the wires going to the device. The color of these wires depends on the model. This can be found on the Internet or by the selection method.
The 12V output is in a four-pin connector: black “-”, yellow “”.
Such devices have a built-in fan, therefore, when making a case for it, it is necessary to make holes or install it with a fan outside. It’s best to just hide the extra wires inside the case.
Important! A 14.4 or 18 volt screwdriver will operate at reduced power.
Finding faulty items
The storage battery is assembled from individual cells. They do not fail at the same time, but even one defective element degrades the performance of the entire battery.
To determine the parts that have lost their capacity, it is necessary:
- charge the battery;
- work until power loss;
- disassemble the battery;
- measure the voltage on each element separately.
Batteries with noticeably less voltage or no voltage at all must be replaced.
Conversion of a screwdriver to mains power
A screwdriver is a tool designed for driving screws and drilling small holes. There are mains, powered from a 220V network and rechargeable, with two replaceable batteries.
If the battery in such devices fails, then there are three options:
- replacing the battery is expensive, in a budget class device the price of a set approaches the cost of a new device;
- repair is not always possible, and in some cases its cost is comparable to the cost of new batteries;
- conversion of a cordless screwdriver to a network.
This article describes how to power a screwdriver from a 220v network, or how to make a network out of a cordless screwdriver.
This mechanism consists of the following parts:
- DC electric motor. It has the shape of a cylinder; instead of the field winding, there are permanent magnets in the housing. This simplifies the design and provides sufficient torque at low revs. The drive (sun) gear of the planetary reducer is put on the electric motor shaft;
- Reversible speed controller. The adjustment circuit is assembled on a PWM controller and a field-effect transistor. The reverse is carried out by switching the polarity of the power supply to the motor brushes;
- Planetary reductor. Made in a separate building. It got its name from its similarity to the solar system. Consists of a ring gear, a central (sun) gear, satellites and a carrier. The ring gear transmits the force through the spring loaded load regulator balls. There are models with two-speed gearboxes. The increased speed is enabled when using the device as a drill;
- Rotary force limiting mechanism. Serves to limit the force when tightening screws. Transmits torque through balls pressed by an adjustable spring;
- Removable battery. Consists of separate elements in one body. The voltage in different models is from 9 to 18 volts.