Description and characteristics of cutting discs for angle grinder on metal
Cutting discs are accessories for power tools, they are designed for quick and accurate cutting of various workpieces and structures of different material.
Metal cutting discs consist of an abrasive sheet, often reinforced for strength by a special mesh (bakelite bond), which gives the cutting disc strength and eliminates splinter dispersion in case of jamming or damage to the disc. Fixed cutting discs on the cutting machine with a special nut and the seating hole, which is crimped by a metal jacket to improve the strength of the disk.
The surface of the metal cutting disc has information about the manufacturer, GOST, abrasive grit, bar code and, of course, information about the diameter, blade thickness and seating diameter, as well as the allowable number of rpm. Usually, this information looks something like this: 1251.622, where: 125. outside diameter of the cutting disc in millimeters; 1.6. thickness of the blade; 22. seating diameter of the disc.
The diameter of the cutting wheel affects the depth of cut, the thickness of the blade is selected depending on the thickness of the cut metal, and the landing diameter for manual angle grinder is usually of two standards. 22 mm (the most common) and 32 mm (very rare).
Cutting discs for manual angle grinders are produced in the following standard sizes: 115 mm., 125 mm., 150 mm., 180 mm., and 230 mm. There are also discs with diameters larger than 230 mm., But they are not used with manual angle grinders.
|Metal cutting discs|
|Name||Quantity per package||Weight 1 pc, kg|
|10 pcs||15 pcs||25 pcs||50 pcs||80 pcs||100 pcs||150 pcs||200 pcs||400 pcs|
|Metal cutting disc 115х1.0х22||0.02|
|Metal cutting off wheel 115×1.2х22||0.03|
|Metal cutting disc 115×1.6х22||0.036|
|Metal cutting disc 115×2.0х22||0.04|
|Metal cutting disc 115х2.5х22||0.055|
|Metal cutting-off wheel 125х0.8х22||0.019|
|Metal cutting disc 125х1.0х22||0.025|
|125х1 cutting circle on metal.2х22||0.03|
|125×1 cutting off circle on metal.6х22||0.044|
|Metal cutting disc 125×2.0х22||0.052|
|Metal cutting disc 125×2.5х22||0.064|
|Circle-cutting on metal 125х6.0х22||0.168|
|Metal cutting-off circle 150х1.0х22||0.04|
|Metal cutting-off circle 150х1.2х22||0.044|
|Metal cutting-off wheel 150х1.6х22||0.06|
|Metal cutting-off wheel 150х2.0х22||0.076|
|Metal cutting-off circle 150х2.5х22||0.104|
|Metal cutting disc 180х1.6х22||0.095|
|Metal cutting-off wheel 180х2.0х22||0.11|
|Metal cutting-off wheel 180×2.5х22||0.14|
|Metal cutting disc 180х6.0х22||0.354|
|Metal cutting-off wheel 200×2.5х22||0.172|
|Metal cutting-off circle 230х1.6х22||0.143|
|Metal cutting off circle 230х2.0х22||0.18|
|Metal cutting disc 230х2.5х22||0.21|
|Metal cutting disc 230×3.0х22||0.28|
|Metal cutting-off wheel 230х6.0х22||0.586|
|Metal cutting wheel 400х4.0х32||0.55|
Find out the cost of metal cutting wheels
Varies between 0.7 and 4 mm. The choice depends on the diameter of the wheel itself and the operations performed. Keep in mind that cutting with a thin circle due to the smaller area of contact requires less effort and is faster, but the work requires accuracy: with a skewed nozzle can burst. The thickness has almost no influence on the rate of wear.
Disc dimensions, seating and thickness can be specified in either metric or inch format in the data sheet.
Description and classification
A diamond wheel is a disc of thin metal, with diamond cutting tips that are held in place on its cutting edges. They are made from industrial-quality ground diamonds that are pressed into a metal binder. tungsten carbide, steel, or titanium. Plates are attached to discs by silver soldering or laser welding. Modern technology connects the cutting tool to the metal base using powder brazing. That’s how they last longer. Once the cutting edge of the diamond disc has been sharpened, it is fully machined and ready for use.
In order to cut reinforced concrete or concrete, a variety of equipment is used, such as: stationary machines, chisel saw, gasoline cutter, angle grinder. They are fitted with wheels of different grades. Their distinguishing features are:
- The configuration of the working edge.
- Binder composition.
- Number of diamonds per unit area.
- Qualitative characteristics of diamonds.
In order to choose the one that is best for you, you need to know the classification.
There are several types of cutting wheels. The most important factors are: the function and shape of the cutting part.
Diamond cutting discs
This group is subdivided into three subgroups. These include:
- Segmented for dry cutting. Concrete is cut dry with hand tools. For these purposes, an angle grinder (angle grinder) and strooblade cutter are used. On the base of the segmented wheel, the diamond outline is arranged in individual sectors with radial through grooves between them. The plates are highly stressed during cutting, and the discs are heated. Slots are needed to relieve tension in the cutters, remove waste, dissipate heat and compensate for linear expansion. This group includes diamond tools for cutting fresh concrete. The difference of such circles is that they can cut the material immediately after hardening. The diamond layer is usually filled directly on the body without using a bonding agent.
- Endless (solid). There are no segments on these wheels. And in order to distribute the tension, there are holes. They are used when water-cooled cutting is used. Wet processing is performed on stationary equipment. This type of equipment has a design capacity to supply coolant.
- Concrete diamond discs. These discs have a segmented design, but the teeth contain more diamonds than a conventional type of disc. They are slightly thicker. We must take into account that reinforced concrete is very difficult to cut at home. angle grinder heats up quickly, dust penetrates inside it (to prevent dust penetration it is necessary to protect the bearings from dust and dustproof motor). With a hand-held power tool, you can cut reinforced concrete to a depth of no more than 10 centimeters at a time. Afterwards, the machine will switch off to cool the disc and motor.
- Turbo segment diamond cutting discs. They are one-piece, and they are cooled by the wavy surface. expensive than conventional wheels, but they compensate for this with better functionality and longer life. Even reinforced concrete can be cut with these wheels, if the diameter of reinforcement does not exceed 10 cm.
Diamond grinding discs
With such discs grind concrete, if before the application of decorative coating it is necessary to level the floor. This process is performed with a special grinder or angle grinder. The distinguishing feature of grinding wheels is that the diamond cutting layer is applied on a tapered, circular surface that protrudes along the edge. Diamond disc for mechanical processing of the floor is the main circle, on which several grinding cups are fixed, between which there are grooves for dust extraction.
Dimensions are regulated according to GOST 10110-87:
- Thickness of diamond layer is 5 or 10 millimeters and measured in radial direction.
- Height. Disc body thickness ranges from 0.15 to 2.4 millimeters.
- Seat (inside diameter). Standard value ranges from 12 to 76 millimeters. For cutting of reinforced or normal concrete the wheel with the seat starting from 20 millimeters is more suitable.
- Outer diameter has dimensions in the range of 50-500 millimeters. The step between adjacent cuts in the range of 50-200 millimeters is 25 millimeters, and in the range 200-500 the step is 50 millimeters. Concrete is normally worked with disc diameters of 115 to 500 millimeters.
The ratio of dimensions, which are approved by GOST provides reliability and durability. But at the same time it is specified that circles can have height and inner diameter, which are not included in the dimensional rows of the standard. Particularly popular these days are products with a seating 22.2 millimeters, as well as 25.4.
A distinction is made between hard and soft discs depending on the hardness of the binder. Soft ones are designed for hard materials (concrete and concrete). They have a relatively small resource, but the cutting is much faster. Hard discs are designed for soft materials such as asphalt, fireclay, clinker, marble.
How to make your own hands
Independently make a cutting wheel on an angle grinder of paper is much easier than it may seem at first glance. To make it you will need the following materials:
- Sheets of ordinary A4 paper (the thicker the paper used, the stronger the product will be);
- office glue.
The easiest way to manufacture such consumables involves the use of an ordinary cut-off circle for the angle grinder as a sample, which should be put on an A4 sheet of paper and outline the contours with a simple pencil. In this case it is used as a sketch.
Then, after the sketch is ready, it must be cut out with scissors. Several such pieces of paper should be glued together using stationery glue. While gluing, make sure that there are no folds or irregularities.
If there is no factory-made cutting disc that can be used as a sketch, you can use an ordinary compass and a ruler. First you need to take several sheets of A4 paper, put them on top of each other and carefully align them. Then they should be cut into two equal parts. Using the ruler, draw diagonals on the obtained workpieces.
The next step is to place the compasses on the intersection point of the diagonals and draw a circle with it. The compasses are put on a mark of 6,5 cm (this parameter depends on the size of the workpiece to be obtained). Then you need to cut a circle drawn with a compass. The obtained workpieces (3-4 pieces) are glued to each other with glue. During the gluing process, the fabric must be constantly smoothed to prevent the formation of folds and irregularities.
It is not recommended to glue the sheets of paper together first, and then cut discs out of them. This is due to the fact that after gluing several large sheets, irregularities appear on their surface.
Once the adhesive has dried completely on the finished discs, in their central part you need to make a hole, through which they are connected to the angle grinder. To do this, in the center of the product, using a circular, is made and cut out a small circle under the spindle M14.
How to use
Before use, the paper circle must be attached to the angle grinder and tightened with a washer. Then the angle grinder needs to be switched on, setting the speed to high and start working. It should be noted that during the use of power tools must comply with safety precautions, safety glasses, gloves.
Paper discs can cut materials like plastic, wood, and even thin aluminum. It’s also great for cutting drywall, pipes made of PVC and small wooden bars. In this case, after the use of cutting discs made of paper, you get smooth, neat joints with smooth edges.
Paper cutting discs for angle grinders are not durable cut-off wheels, and are not suitable for difficult jobs or cutting very hard materials, such as metal. However, they can come in handy for simple, rush jobs when a standard factory cutting disc for an angle grinder is not available.
Ensuring safe work
Every electric tool comes with a safety manual. But you should remember the main rules:
- change the wheel only after the tool is de-energized;
- it is necessary to use a protective cover when cutting metal;
- Wear safety glasses and gloves;
- do not use the cutting wheel for grinding and grinding wheel for cutting;
- Do not use the device near flammable materials because of the formation of sparks.
It should be borne in mind that when cutting, the disk should rotate so that sparks fly to the master, so the angle grinder can not bounce on his head if the disk jams.
Proper metal cutting for economical use of abrasive. The abrasive will be consumed more slowly if you cut the metal according to the following rules:
- long workpieces should be cut at the edge, if the work is carried out between the points of support, the wheel will jam when compressing the cut;
- You can begin cutting only when the disk reaches the greatest revolutions;
- pressure adjustment should be by feeling the load on the nozzle. When the revolutions are reduced, it is necessary to relax the force, when they are increased, the force should also become more;
- It is necessary to enter the metal smoothly;
- If the material is complex, you can make reciprocating motions in the place where the nozzle touches the metal;
- The corner piece should be cut in 2 stages, one on each side. The same way you should cut a profile;
- need pauses in work (5-10 minutes).
It is obligatory to use water to pour it on the place of cutting, but it is necessary to ensure that moisture does not get into the body of the electric tool.
Popular manufacturers and expensive discs
for consumables for angle grinder vary from the lowest. about 20 p., and up to several thousand. The cost depends directly on the manufacturer and the material to be used. The current market is rich in choice of manufacturers, both domestic and foreign.
German company, the leader in the production of power tools and related materials. Wide range of diamond and abrasive cutting discs for mitre saws for stone, metal and wood. ISO certified products.
Features of Bosch discs on the disc face
Canadian manufacturer of professional and household tools. Wide range of cutting discs for metal and stone.
American company. Produces high quality power tools. Also available in a wide range of attachments for bolt cutters:
Swiss company known for its high performance and level of product durability. Wide range of diamond and abrasive cutting discs. High price is a negative point.
Korean manufacturer. Rich assortment of accessories for rotary grinders:
- high-carbon steel carbide wheels;
- segmented diamond for concrete and asphalt;
- discs for cutting ceramic, porcelain stoneware and marble.
Russian company. Producers of power tools and cutting equipment. A wide selection of universal accessories for angle grinder.
Hitachi Power Tools, Luga Abrasiv Extra
Excellent price. quality ratio. You can find budget options in the range, which does not affect the quality of products.
Tips and tricks
When choosing this cutting tool for an angle grinder, do not make its cost the determining factor.
Poor-quality cutting tools for the angle grinder will quickly wear out, and in addition, when performing the appropriate work can even fall apart.
The recommended size for this medium-thickness home tool is 125 millimeters, which can also be used on aluminum.
It is better to take the products of well-known manufacturers, the quality of which is not in doubt.
When working with an angle grinder do not forget about the rules of safety.
In general, the angle grinder is considered a rather dangerous tool, which, if not used properly, can cause serious injury. Working with this tool, it is necessary to wear protective goggles and gloves.
In addition, it is necessary to monitor the speed of the tool used, because this parameter affects not only the quality of work, but also the safety of its performance.
It is worth immediately stating that roughing and grinding discs go hand in hand, and in many stores in the parameter “type” of the attachment may be written: “grinding disc roughing. In our article, we will divide this “couple” into two types. Roughing in this context is an attachment for releasing machined structure from an external layer, such as rust. A distinction is made between such roughing nozzles:
- Cord brushes. Wheel brushes are available in disc or cup shapes. It is convenient to clean vertical structures, such as tubular fence, with disc brushes, and horizontal surfaces with cup-shaped ones. For example, cord brushes are very convenient for cleaning the car body after welding or rust. Here’s a medium priced STAYER 35125-150 brass cord brush:
- Roughing discs. Roughing discs, like cord brushes, can be flat or cup-shaped. They are designed for cleaning of welding seams and preparation of metal surfaces for grinding.
Test methods and safety requirements for standard disc grinders, including angle versions, are described in GOST R IEC 60745-2-3-2011.
Also apply to angle grinder standards GOST 16519-2006 (vibration), GOST 12.2.030-2000 (Occupational Safety Standards System), GOST 30805.14.1-2013, GOST 30805.14.2-2013, GOST 30804.3.2-2013, GOST 30804.3.3-2013.
Round nuts with holes at the end for a special key, which is used to clamp the cutting discs of angle grinder, are made in accordance with GOST 6393-73.
Each manufacturer labels the angle grinder based on its own preferences.
The marking usually indicates the model of the tool, its power and the maximum diameter of the disc used.
Additional features of the angle grinder
Manufacturers, in order to provide additional convenience and safe operation, equip the tool with a variety of functional and protective automatics and mechanics, of which the most common:
- Soft start allows you to protect your tool from excessive loads for a short time when you start it. This applies not only to the gear reducer gears, but also the electrical part of the angle grinder, because at the moment of start the electric motor experiences surges of current. The function prevents the tool from jerking when starting. Especially useful with large, heavy chain saws.
- Anti-vibration system. designed to dampen vibrations created by uneven rotation of large-diameter blades. This feature is also called the balancing system.
- Accidental start protection. usually implemented by depressing an additional button to unlock the start button. Avoids unintended starts and increases the safety of the tool.
- Constant RPM under load. makes it easier to process workpieces by stabilizing the cutting wheel speed for any load variation in automatic mode.
- RPM adjustment. allows you to select the desired operating mode of the angle grinder for specific applications, such as cutting or grinding material.
- SDS quick-clamping nut. its presence allows you to remove and install the working element of the angle grinder without the use of any wrenches or any additional tool. This nut is loosened by hand.
Also the modern models are equipped with disk wedge and secondary start protection systems.
Grinding wheels are used for polishing concrete, metal and wooden surfaces for painting or priming. Disc tips can be made of sandpaper, felt or even felt. In turn, sanding discs by design can be lobed and flat (put on the disc).
Each grinding disc has its own grit parameter. It is selected according to the work to be performed. Below you will find a table with the grit size of the grinding wheels depending on the type of sanding:
|Types of grinding||Recommended grit number|
|Roughing round||24. 36|
|Round finishing||60. 100|
|Finishing of multi-blade tools||170. 220|
|Die grind||100. 280|
A thorough approach to the selection of abrasive wheels depends on the criteria of the following kind:
In addition, the basic information usually indicates the expiration date.
According to the standards, the thickness of a 125 mm diameter plate is between 2.3 mm and 2.5 mm. Discs of 1-1,2 mm are considered thin for the same diameter.
The basic information is to be found on the cutting wheel face: the information indicates whether the wheel is designed for steel cutting only or is also suitable for cutting non-ferrous metals. There are also universal options. The saw blade size, expiration date, and maximum RPM allowed during use are also indicated there.
Usually, little value is given to these numbers embossed around the plate’s seating hole. Nevertheless, manufacturers of cutting discs insist on using the products in the time period they specify: for example, V 01/ 2018 would mean expiration date until the beginning of the first quarter of 2018.
This most important parameter, in fact, means the class of angle grinder, for work on which the cutting wheel is designed. The following variants are common: 115, 125, 150, 180 or 230 mm. It is not permissible to fit a wheel with a greater diameter than necessary on the grinder. This is expressly forbidden by safety regulations combined with common sense. firstly, the blade guard would get in the way, and secondly, the cutting edge speed would go far beyond the limits specified by the power tool manufacturer, which is highly likely to result in serious injury and machine breakdown.
The thinner the cutting disc, the easier it is to cut through the material: A smaller blade area reduces the resistance. In general, thin blades have many advantages:
The disadvantage of these types of discs is no less obvious: quick abrasion. However, for low-power, cordless angle grinders not designed for continuous nonstop work, this type of disc is suited as best as possible.
It is worth noting that if the safety standards and operating requirements of the power tool are observed, neither thin nor thick discs are too dangerous: the reinforcing mesh holds the plate structure regardless of its thickness.
Parameters in the specification
The specification is a four-character code that encodes information about the abrasive grain fraction and its binding agents. For example, AS is the code for white aluminium oxide with a high degree of purity, which is suitable for cutting stainless steel workpieces. The numbers in the code indicate the grit size per disc surface: you need a coarse grit cutting disc marked 30 or 24 for steel.
Non-ferrous metals require a wheel with code 40 or even 60 if the metal is soft. Next, the letter of the Latin alphabet denotes the hardness of the binder component. The harder the bond is, the closer the letter is to the end. However, there is an inverse relationship to the hardness of the material being worked, since it is not the bond that cuts, but the abrasive grain.
The last two symbols are seldom changed and indicate the binder, which is a ductile thermosetting plastic called bakelite.
Recommendations for selection
As a rule, metal discs have a corresponding inscription on the same side where the diameter of the wheel is indicated. The simplest option for unassuming front of home works on metal can be a universal or specialized 125-millimeter cutting wheel.
In verbal communication it will sound like “metal cutting disc for angle grinder 125″. Such nozzles are best suited for working with metal products, so they should not be used for machining, for example, concrete piles. This is due to both safety considerations and the performance of the disc: the bit can not only wear out too quickly, but also splinter. However, metal profiles, sheets, angles or channels can be cut with such a disc without any hesitation.
The characteristics of the tool and the quality of the work
Even if you bought the most expensive polishing and grinding equipment, it does not mean that the quality of work will be maximal. What this has to do with? It is quite simple: to be able to work successfully, dried wood must be used exclusively. Raw material is not suitable for this type of work. If this feature is not taken into account, the result may not be the most pleasant. When selecting a wood disc, make sure that the raw material you choose conforms to established requirements and standards.
In some cases it may be necessary to carry out sanding work to remove old paint, varnish or fungal growth. Good polishing and grinding tools always work best, however, provided that the material is prepared in accordance with basic processing requirements. You should be aware that polishing and sanding discs for angle grinders are not suitable for primary machining operations, so they need to be equipped with additional roughing attachments.
If you choose the right nozzle, you will be able to experience their effectiveness in cases where you need to clean old surfaces that are covered with several layers of paint. Such a result is explained very simply: the majority of nozzles are a kind of metal plate on which there is a wire bristle, placed closer to the outer circumference of the radial or perpendicular to the disk.
To the finishing actions begin in those cases where the workpiece acquires preliminary outlines. The final result may be determined by the types of nozzles that are used in the task at hand.
the angle grinder can also be used as a cutter and as a grinder and polisher. Expansion of the functionality is achieved by using different types of discs.
And so, if you’re faced with the question, “how to successfully polish or sand a wood structure,” be prepared to learn the basic intricacies and tips responsibly. As for the tools to be used in the future, they include:
- Brush cord. Ideal for rough grinding work. The wood can be smoothed out successfully to give the best shape to the workpiece.
- Flap discs. Their purpose is to easily grind workpieces. In most cases such work is carried out with oblique cuts. The function of the face disc can resemble the interaction of a workpiece and a saw.
- Petal sanding heads. Are one of the main consumables. Their features provide a wide range of possibilities for processing various workpieces, including those made of natural wood species. It is important to note that wood with complex construction can only be scraped with radial grinding discs.
- Felt wheel. It provides maximum protection against surface roughness. It is based on compressed wool of fine-haired, semi-coarse-haired and coarse-coarse-haired origin. Felt working tools provide ample opportunity for quality woodworking or other material. In addition, they can be used to give the wood a perfectly smooth surface, which can be compared with a mirror.
- Circle for angle grinder. Its purpose is to grind. Very often it is confused with the disc of the same name. However, Velcro circles are particularly versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes. Different accessories are made for specific applications, although even a normal grinding wheel is sometimes surprising in its versatility and high quality of performance.
- Chain wheel for wood. It is one of the most productive and also one of the roughest solutions for processing natural wood.
If you intend to choose the right equipment for the angle grinder, consider not only the diameter, but also many other markings. With the inscriptions, you can clarify the exact purpose of the tool and choose the best option for your purpose.
The modern angle grinder is one of the most convenient and useful devices. To improve the quality of its work, you need to take care of additional nozzles and disks, which will make the processing of wood, metal, or any other raw material accurate and complete.