How to mix petrol and oil for the mower?
Observe the proportions of oil and gasoline for the fuel mix specified by the manufacturers in the instruction manual. Chinese manufacturers most often indicate the ratio of 1 part oil to 25 parts gasoline, while STIHL and Husqvarna producers’ ratio is 1:50.
Do not mix oil and gasoline in the tank of the lawnmower. This should be done in a separate container.
The first question you need to ask before you start work is what kind of gasoline to put in your STIHL chain saw.
Only fill STIHL chain saws with unleaded high-octane gasoline. е. with a higher octane rating than 90. If you fill up with low-octane gas it can lead to engine overheating, piston jamming and engine failure. That is why it is optimal to fill your chain saw with gasoline AI-92 or AI-95, but this raises the question of fuel quality.
Low-quality AI-92 can “fall short” of the declared octane number, and AI-95 often contains many additives, which do not do the engine any good. In addition, if the additives are of poor quality, they are short-lived, and after a few days of purchased fuel can turn into a low-octane, which is not suitable for the engine chain saw.
At the same time, a good 95 can harm the piston system, “burn” it. Some users have therefore found a way out: fill up their chainsaws with gasoline AI-92 mixed with AI-95. That way the optimum balance between octane number and quantity of additives is reached.
How much oil is added to gasoline for two-stroke engines
Why do you dilute gasoline with oil??
Using a two-stroke engine on a chainsaw is due to the fact that it is more economical in fuel consumption, while having more power per unit volume. The four-stroke engine is used in various gardening equipment such as power tillers, mowers, grass trimmers, etc.д. If you look at efficiency, a four-stroke engine has a big advantage. The principle behind two-stroke engines is that oil is not poured into the tank separately but is diluted with gasoline. The presence of oil is a must, for without it the engine would quickly become useless.
What is the risk of filling up with pure gasoline without oil??
Two-stroke engines are designed in such a way that they can’t run on pure gasoline alone. Adding oil is necessary to lubricate the surface of the spark plug electrodes and jets as a result. If this is not done, the rust will corrode the contacts.
Today’s two-stroke chainsaws work with AI gasoline and a minimum octane rating of 90, such as AI-92 or AI-95. But it should be noted that brand AI-95 is less popular among chainsaw owners because of its higher cost and contains more methyl tert-butyl ether, which helps reduce the risk of detonation of fuel.
Specialists strongly discourage the use of “old” gasoline that has been in the can for a long time. Condensate may form on its walls and then get into the gasoline, worsening its quality. You should take only fresh gasoline that does not contain sediment. Alternative fuels cannot be used.
Brands of oils which are the best and their classification
To dilute gasoline in two-stroke engines, synthetic or semi-synthetic types of oil are used. There are also mineral oils, but their use is not recommended by the manufacturers because of solidification at low temperatures. It is desirable to buy adapted motor oils, on which it is written that they are intended for mixing into two-stroke engines. The common brand is API-TB and more rarely API-TC. The information on the oil package usually tells you the ratio in which you dilute the oil.
Do not use cheap analogues, as the life of your tool depends on it.
Buy well-known brands which have retained the quality of their oils for many years. For example, the Husqvarna brand offers only the highest quality dilution oils, with ratios significantly lower than those of other brands.
Peculiarities of the mixture preparation
For safety reasons it is recommended to prepare fuel mixture in a metal canister, not subject to static electricity.
- The recommended proportions of gasoline and oil for each model are individual. In most variants it is a ratio of 50:1 and 40:1. It is much rarer to find chainsaws operating on a gasoline-oil mixture in a ratio of 25:1.
- According to the manufacturers of brand-name chainsaws their products do not need running-in period. Nevertheless, during the first hours of work experts advise to operate a new chain saw on a fuel mixture with increased oil and, if possible, in a sparing mode.
For the preparation of the working mixture are handy container with built-in dispensers. Selectivity of fuel filters at gas stations, in some cases leaves much to be desired, so it is recommended to filter the gasoline through suede or non-fiber material.
Implementation of these recommendations will save from spontaneous equipment failures associated with carburetor malfunction.
the specific characteristics of mineral or organic chain oil are oriented to lubrication and cooling of the saw head and therefore are not suitable for the preparation of the fuel mix.
Feedback from owners
If you have working Druzhba or Ural, you can use the ratio of gasoline and oil 1:20, because modern materials have improved quality than in the USSR, when they required diluting 1:60. I have learned this the hard way and have substantially reduced my oil consumption. The only nuance is that you have to choose a special engine oil for air-cooled two-stroke engines.
- Review of the Makita chainsaw range, reviews of the brand
- STIHL 361 MS chainsaw. Technical parameters, chain saw operation
- Kalibr chain saws. Product Range, Product Descriptions and Specifications. Introduction to use
- Husqvarna electric saws. Overview of models, specifications, reviews
- Patriot PT 2512 chainsaw. Preparing for work, starting up. Video reviews and
- Echo chain saws. Model range, preparation for operation. Owners reviews
- Champion 237 chainsaw reviews. Instructions for use. Basic safety precautions
- Champion chainsaws: range review. Instruction manual. Adjusting the carburetor
- Power saws DAEWOO. Product Range. Safety rules when working with electric chainsaw
- Eco chainsaws. Models, advantages and disadvantages. Lubricants
- Energomash BP-45 chainsaw. Model description, specifications, service and reviews
- What is better a chainsaw or an electric saw: which tool to choose?
How to Dilute Gasoline for Husqvarna Gasoline Saw
The correct proportion of oil and gasoline for chain saw
The proportion of oil and gasoline in a chainsaw is very important for the longevity and reliability of the device. Before you start sharpening your chainsaw chain at home, how to sharpen the blade. The right proportions depend directly on the type of the saw and the mode of its operation.
You need to find the type of chainsaw you have, to choose the oil.
What are the characteristics of a chainsaw?
If you have a cottage or a country house, you need a chainsaw. For garden needs completely enough home chainsaw. Its power is small, but it is completely sufficient for removal of old branches of trees, sawing wood and boards. Such saw has not very huge weight and size. If you need to saw trees on the site or you are planning construction work, it is better to buy a semi-professional chainsaw. Its working time should not exceed 8 hours a day. Prof chainsaws have enormous power and can run for up to 16 hours a day. For the production of such saws, durable materials are used, and the implementation asks for certain abilities. Professional chainsaws are used for felling industrial scale and other similar jobs.
All about the fuel mixture for grass trimmer
Often there are problems with the proportions of oil and fuel for the reliable operation of a brushcutter. The Reason for all this is absolutely different information in the sources. You may encounter a difference in the ratio data by a dozen units, and sometimes by half. So you can’t help wondering how much oil you need for 1 liter of gasoline: 20 ml or all 40 ml. But for this, there is a technical data sheet for the product that you buy in the store. There should be a description of the device, instructions for its operation and instructions on how to prepare the fuel mixture.
First of all, you should take into account the information that the manufacturer recommends, because in the case of a mower failure you can present your claims to him and not to a third-party source. If there is no instruction in the manual, and even more so if the passport is missing, it is recommended to look for another grass trimmer model from a more reliable seller.
For all other cases, when you have a lawnmower model in your hands and there is no way to know its technical features, there are standard proportions of the most likely components of the fuel mixture for a two-stroke engine. Basically for these units is used gasoline AI-92 and a special synthetic oil, which contains a solvent for better mixing with fuel. Such oil evaporates slowly and has the ability to burn completely in the cylinder, leaving no soot behind.
The standard ratio of synthetic oil to gasoline is 1:50. This means that you need 100 ml of oil for 5 liters of gasoline, and accordingly, the oil consumption for 1 liter of gasoline is 20 ml. Knowing the amount of oil needed to dilute 1 liter of fuel, you can easily calculate any rates in the preparation of fuel for grass trimmer. If mineral oils are used, the standard ratio is often 1:40. So you need 25 ml of such oil for 1 liter of fuel, and 125 ml for a 5-liter canister.
When operating a lawn mower, a person with little experience in such equipment has no difficulty in determining and adjusting the actual amount of oil needed for a specific model. You should only pay attention to the exhaust gases (their color, toxicity of odor), stability of cycles, engine heating and developed power. details on what to expect when mixing petrol and oil in wrong proportions are presented in another article. There are different versions of brushcutter with gasoline AI-95. This also has to be taken into account.
If the fuel manufacturer recommends this octane rating, you must follow the recommendation so as not to reduce the working life of your machine.
Rules of mixing
And now about how to mix components correctly. However, it would be more logical to start with analysis of widespread, but absolutely unacceptable mistakes, which “sin” many owners of this mowing unit. The following are considered mistakes when mixing the fuel mixture.
- Adding oil to the fuel already in the gas tank of the brushcutter. You won’t get a homogeneous fuel mixture that way. It may work, if only to shake the grass trimmer for a long time afterwards. But it is unlikely that anyone will do this, given the gravity of the machine.
- First pour oil into the mixing tank and then add gasoline. Gasoline has a lower density than oil, so if it is poured to the oil, it will remain in the upper layer, that is, there will be no natural mixing. Of course, you can mix it up later, but it will take a lot more energy than if you do it the other way around. pouring oil to the poured gasoline.
- Ignoring precise measuring tools for taking the necessary volumes of used ingredients. In other words, diluting the amount of oil or gasoline “by eye” is a bad habit when operating motor vehicles.
- Use empty drinking water bottles for the fuel mixture. Such containers are made of too thin polyethylene which can be dissolved by gasoline.
READ How to properly dilute and sharpen a wood hacksaw
Considering all of the above, we recommend using the following rules when mixing the fuel mixture for two-stroke grass trimmer engines.
- Use only clean containers made of metal or special plastic for storing gasoline, oil, ready-to-use fuel mixture and for preparing it.
- Use a watering can to pour petrol into the dilution tank to avoid it spilling, and to add oil use a measuring container with markings of volume or a medical syringe for 5 and 10 ml.
- Pour gasoline into the fuel mixture canister first, and then oil.
- To dilute the mixture, pour only half of the planned volume of gasoline into the container first.
- Then add to the gasoline all the amount of oil required for the mixture.
- Thoroughly mix the contents of the dilution tank. It is best to stir in a tightly closed container in a circular motion. Do not use an object to stir the fuel inside the canister, because it is not known what kind of material this object is made of, what kind of reaction it may have with the ingredients of the mixture and how clean it is.
- Add the rest of the gasoline to the stirred mixture and stir thoroughly again.
- It is possible to fill the lawnmower’s fuel tank with a prepared mixture.
Amount of oil per liter of fuel
Gasoline lawnmowers have two types of engines. four-stroke and two-stroke. There are significant differences between them. The first option has a separate supply of oil and gasoline, in other words, it is not necessary to prepare a special fuel mixture. And the second kind of engine needs constant lubrication of the engine parts by mixing fuel and oil in a certain proportion.
If you got the tool for mowing grass with a two-stroke cycle of the motor, then you will have to deal with making a fuel mix to fuel the mower.
The fuel mixture consists of gasoline and special oil for two-stroke engines. When choosing oil, it is better to use a lubricant of the same manufacturer as the lawnmower, but this issue is not a principle.
Two-stroke engine oil can be distinguished from other engine oils by the marking on the label. On it is also marked the ratio in which you need to dilute the lubricant with the fuel. When using good quality and high quality oils dosage is usually: 1 part oil to 50 parts fuel, in other words 2 percent of the total amount of fuel. Some owners are confused about these proportions. In fact, everything is simple.
Correct way to mix 50:1 gas mix / different types
If the label says 50: 1, it means that on 5 liters. It is necessary to pour 100 grams of oil into the gasoline. In other words, you need to add 20 grams of oil to 1 liter of gasoline to lubricate the engine.
Applying the tips outlined, you can, without the help of others, prepare a good-quality fuel mixture for a two-stroke motor. It will ensure the continued operation of the gasoline lawnmower for a long period, and will also help protect the engine from significant defects.
To learn how to change the oil in a lawn mower with a four-stroke engine, you can read below.
Gasoline for a four-stroke engine
The devices with a four-stroke motor are more complex. Oil and gasoline are poured into different containers, from where they are poured into the engine. For a mower with such an engine needs gasoline brands AI-92 and AI-95. It is not recommended to use fuel with a lower octane rating.к. This will make the engine unstable. Also, do not use lubricant designed for two-stroke models.
The ready mix of gasoline and oil can be stored for no more than 3 months (pure gasoline stores less). Dilute enough fuel for several uses of the weed trimmer. In general, prepare:
- Gasoline and oil that is suitable for two-stroke engines with an air-cooled system;
- Metal canister and mixing container;
- breathing apparatus;
RYOBI: How to mix and store 2 stroke fuel
Adding Oil to Gasoline
- Pour 1 liter of gasoline into a container of suitable volume, and add 1/2 the required amount of oil.
- Mix gently and keep a good distance from open flames.
- Add the remaining half of the oil to the fuel and mix everything again.
How to fuel your grass trimmer
General recommendations for fueling a grass trimmer with a two- or four-stroke engine:
- Place the fuel tank so that the cap is on top, then pour in the correct amount of fuel.
- Do not overfill the fuel tank. Doing so will cause one of the following problems: overflowing into the intake pipe and fuel filter, combustion of fuel, or engine damage.
- Try to pour the mixture so that it does not spill. Use a watering can for this.
- If you do spill fuel, wipe it off immediately. Dispose of wiping material, do not pile it up in the room. it is a fire hazard.
- Start the machine when the fuel can is more than 10 meters away.
- If there are long breaks between uses, be sure to pour out the old fuel.
What oil to dilute gasoline for grass trimmer. Mixing rules
Now for the right way to combine the ingredients. But it would be more logical to begin with the analysis of widespread, but totally unacceptable mistakes, which “sin” many owners of this mowing unit. Mistakes in mixing fuel consistency include the following.
Adding oil to fuel already in the brushcutter’s gas tank. You won’t get a homogeneous fuel consistency that way. It may work, but only if you shake the trimmer for a long time later
But it is unlikely that one would do it, taking into account the weight of the machine. Pour oil into the mixing tank at first and then add gasoline to it. Gasoline has a lower density than oil, so if you add oil to it, it remains in the upper layer, in other words, natural mixing will not occur
Of course, you can mix it later, but it will take a lot more energy than if you do it the other way around. add oil to the gasoline you’ve poured. Ignoring clear measuring tools to take the right volumes of ingredients to use. In other words, dilute the amount of oil or gasoline “by eye”. it is a bad habit when operating motor equipment. Take empty drinking water bottles for preparing fuel consistency. Such containers are made of very narrow cellophane, which can be dissolved by gasoline.
Keeping in mind all the above mentioned, we advise you to use the following rules when mixing the fuel consistency for the two-stroke engines of the grass trimmer
- Use only clean containers made of metal or special plastic for storage of petrol, oil, ready fuel consistence and its preparation.
- To use a watering can for filling petrol into the expansion tank to avoid it spilling, and for adding oil. measuring container with the mark of volume or a copper syringe for 5 and 10 ml.
- Pour petrol into the canister to make fuel consistency at first, and oil later.
- To dilute mix, at first pour only half of the planned volume of petrol into the container.
- Next add to the gasoline all the amount of oil required to make the consistency.
- Thoroughly stir the content of the expansion tank. It is best to stir by making radial motions with a tightly closed container. Do not mix fuel with any object inside the canister, because it is not clear what material the object is made of, what kind of reaction it may have with the consistency ingredients and how it is unstained.
- Add the rest of the gasoline to the mixed mixture and stir again painstakingly.
- You can fill the fuel tank of the lawnmower with the prepared solution.
It is necessary to imply that the ready fuel mixture should not be stored for more than 14 days, because it loses its characteristics, stratifies and evaporates, which leads to changes in proportions, and thus deteriorates the performance of the grass trimmer.
the use of properly selected oil and gasoline allows the lawnmower motor to use its power reserve very sparingly, thanks to which their service life can be dozens of years.
The main parameter that determines the choice of gasoline or oil is the manufacturer’s recommendation, which can be found in the instruction manual of the machine.
If you don’t have the manual handy, you can use the recommendations you found in the article. This will help you determine what fuel to fill and what oil to use for a petrol lawnmower, regardless of its brand and characteristics.
What kind of gas to put in your mower
Honestly, what kind of gasoline you pour into your car and at what gas station, this is what I recommend to pour into the gasoline mower. Personally, my choice is AI-95 and I buy it at Lukoil. I agree that many of you will argue with me about the high price and poor-quality fuel, cut you off at once, where the gasoline, I buy 100% good.
But this does not mean that if I fill my trimmer for grass, I fill AI-95, AI-92 is not suitable, no. But I definitely don’t recommend pouring less than 92 into the mower‘s tank. Honestly, I’ve never put 98 and 100 gasoline in my mower yet. If any of you have tried, please share your experiences.
I want to note that if you just bought your grass trimmer new, be sure to look in the passport, which brand of gasoline recommended by the manufacturer. Your mower may even run on diesel, of course just kidding.
How to dilute gasoline with oil for the mower
Before we start looking into this question, especially if you are a beginner, I would not recommend mixing oil with gasoline already in the tank of your mower, because you will not get a 100% homogeneous fuel mixture. Some craftsmen may be able to do it, but the grass trimmer in this case will have to shake a lot, then the failure is not excluded. Considering the weight of the mower is not light, it is unlikely that someone will do it.
- Let’s look at the capacity of the tank. A standard tank, whatever mower you have will not hold more than 1.2 liters of gasoline. To be honest, I haven’t seen more, although I’ve had quite a few mowers.
- The easiest way to mix fuel is in a liter, plastic bottle. Well, now the question itself, torturing many beginners, and how much oil you need in gasoline for the mower? Many of you may have seen a picture of a neighbor pouring red gasoline into the tank? So everybody remembered? So this is gasoline mixed with oil. Any engine necessarily needs to be lubricated, so gasoline must be necessarily mixed with engine oil for mowers, but what kind of oil, you will learn in the next post. Usually oil is labeled for: scooters, motorcycles, gasoline mowers.
- I should note that it is a very bad idea to dilute petrol with oil by eye, so you will definitely need some measuring jars. If with a liter bottle all is clear, but with oil I think many, a little no. If you used a plastic bottle for mixing, say from under the “Sprite”, as I did, then store it in the gasoline diluted for the mower is not necessary, use the mixture for one filling, otherwise gasoline quickly erodes bottle and you “zagadit” area in his garden.
How much gasoline and oil to mix for the mower
To mix and pour gasoline in the tank, you will need: a liter plastic bottle, 10 ml medical syringe., watering can and gasoline canister. You need a pouring bottle in order to pour the gasoline into the mower’s tank, not to spill it.
we need a 10cc syringe to add 20 ml to a liter of gasoline. Т.е. You need two full syringes per liter of gasoline. If any of you manage to find a 20cc syringe, it will be even better and faster. Note, you should not fill the liter bottle with gasoline up to the neck, because you will need to mix the mixture thoroughly and get a red, homogeneous fuel.
Tip: Pour half a liter of gasoline into the bottle, then pour 2 syringe oils, mix everything well and only then pour the remaining half a liter, and then everything into the tank through the watering can. As you can see everything is easy.