How to mow with a lawn mower How to mow with a lawn mower. How? With your own hands? Price? Cost? ? Construction portal OBRAWA
Lawn mower practice
Any complex technical device takes some time to get used to. If you have not had the experience of working with mowers of any design, the first step is to study the instructions in order to clearly understand which levers and knobs are used to control the mower motor, and which ones are used to adjust the cutting parameters. In addition, you will need to learn how to set the adjustments to the position of the cutting edge of the lawn mower so as to mow the grass in an even and neat layer, leaving the laid 3-4 cm of vegetation throughout the entire area.
Modern lawn mowers make it possible to adjust the position of the handle for any height or features of the constitution and physique of a person. The easiest way to mow and steer the cart is if your hands on the handle are at the level of the center of gravity of the body or 2-3 cm higher.
With a large mass of the lawn mower, the control handle has a lot of force, so when choosing a model, choose a design with an aluminum or steel tubular frame.
This is especially true for front-wheel drive lawn mowers. Owners of front-end mowers like to hang the front axle, thereby reducing traction and adjusting the direction of travel of the machine by turning the body on the rear axle in the desired direction.
How to mow without blunders
First of all, you need to mow without putting excessive unnecessary force on the control handle. The lawn mower was designed without taking into account this overload on the rear axle. For the front-drive version of the mower, this will impair the mowing quality. When working on a rear-wheel drive version, this assistance wears out the transmission and leads to the appearance of potholes in the lawn, it becomes more difficult to mow. In addition, it can easily damage the knife, motor or cut grass on the ground.
The art of lawn mowing comes with practice. Most often, the direction of movement is corrected by moving the handle to the left or right. In particularly difficult cases, you can mow even on difficult paths by slightly tilting the mower body to the left or right, increasing the traction of the wheels on one side and loosening on the other. The controls are simple, but require practice and skill.
It is considered most difficult to mow near a curb or fence. Such work requires precision and a good eye. Most often, damage to the knives occurs when trying to mow in areas interspersed with gravel or under the edge of a stone blind area.
Models with a piano suspension of the front pair of wheels are best mowed in such difficult conditions. For complex edge configurations, mowing with such a lawn mower is much easier.
How to sharpen a braid with a bar
Sharpening a braid with a bar can be difficult for a beginner. Here, as in any other business, there is its own instruction:
- Rest the braid on the ground, while the blade and block should be in your hands;
- The tool in this position has two planes: upper and lower;
- The upper one is sharpened with a sliding motion along the blade from itself to the side;
- The lower plane is sharpened by moving the bar with an effort upward from itself forward.
Bar for sharpening braids
How to properly mow the grass: technique
A good mowing is ensured by a well-chosen working tool and its preparation for work.
Instructions for preparing for mowing:
- The tool must be sharp and not dull while you mow. Sharpen it on an abrasive wheel. The width of the circle is 1.5-2 cm, the blade is moistened during sharpening so that it is wet. The lower part is sharpened.
- Chipping is performed using a special hammer. The aim of the beating is to prevent the rapid blunting of the blade when mowing.
- Both planes of the braid are sharpened with a bar. If you have no experience in sharpening such a tool, then it is advisable to find a professional.
- Starting position of the mower: take the tool; in work, the trunk will bend slightly, following the movement of the arms; the supporting leg is slightly in front; the body is slightly turned to the left.
- The swing of the mower will consist of two parts: first, the tool goes in one direction, then in the other.
- Swings are not wide; the arms move like pendulums from right to left and then a second swing from right to left.
- There should be no tension in the hands, otherwise you will quickly get tired.
- For comfortable mowing, the handle should be at waist level.
- When the mower is mowing, the heel of the scythe rakes up the cut plants and folds them on the side of the cut. It turns out a grass swath.
The mow must be straight and the width must not change. : how to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
How to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
There are several situations in which a scythe in a summer cottage or suburban area can be optimal:
- The rains passed, and the grass grew greatly;
- There is too much grass for the trimmer, but there is no lawn mower;
- You need to mow the grass in an inconvenient place for the lawnmower (uneven soil, near shrubs or trees).
If the grass is too tall, more than 15 cm, the trimmer will scatter it in the form of small debris throughout the area. In order to remove the mown vegetation quickly and without unnecessary debris, it is advisable to use a hand scythe. How to use it will be discussed in this article.
- Why mow the grass
- Where and when they mow the grass
- How to properly mow the grass: technique
- How to sharpen a braid with a bar
- The man who mows the grass
- Feedback from netizens
How to properly cut grass with a line trimmer
Any owner of a country house or suburban area knows that in summer and spring time it is necessary to constantly look after the lawn, otherwise it will lose its external, attractive appearance. Therefore, many dacha owners are wondering how to properly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line. And before you start learning how to mow, you need to choose the right tool for the site and only then use it correctly on the lawn.
- Controlling the trimmer, as it may seem to many, is not an easy task, but also nothing special (there is nothing complicated in it) if you properly follow the safety measures and know how to operate it correctly, rather than a garden tool, the cutter of which is a metal disc.
We carry out the correct mowing in both cases
The device should move correctly in front of you and strictly from right to left, because the grass you mowed will surely fall onto the previously mown area, which will give you the opportunity to initially mow the tops of the grass. Then you carry out a reverse motion, due to which you will remove any remaining branches of the grass.
- When working with large areas of the lawn, it is best to divide the work into several stages, visually dividing the territory into squares. In the process of mowing the grass, you should move along the outside, which will make it possible once again not to trample the grass at the same time, without complicating the mowing procedure for yourself. To make it easier to work, it is best to move from below, walking parallel to the already treated area, and then come back.
With this approach, you can easily use the line trimmer to mow the grass around the trees planted on the site, carefully bypassing them, and at the same time without loading the devices. By mowing the grass in the way we recommend above, you can reduce the likelihood of the grass scattering to the sides, making it faster and easier to cut.
Here are some tips for cutting tall grass:
- Try not to overload the mechanism during the bevelling process.
- If tall grass gets tangled on the line, turn off the mechanism immediately so that the motor does not burn out.
- If your trimmer runs on gasoline, cutting wet grass is strictly prohibited.
Features of the situation
Of course, such a question will not arise for those who live in the immediate vicinity of the lawn. Then you can wait a while and work when the grass dries up. But the need to remove wet grass arises immediately, if you can visit the site only occasionally. What to do if you have to mow the lawn on weekends, on another day with rainy weather, that’s the subtlety. The opinions of the summer residents themselves differ, therefore it makes little sense to be guided by their position. You need to figure out the nuances yourself.
Can wet grass be cut with a trimmer and lawn mower and how do I do it?
Arrangement of a suburban area (and even a local area in a city) is a very complicated matter. Especially because you have to look after the farm all the time. Many people also have questions about how to do this or that work, for example, is it possible to mow wet grass with a trimmer.
The role of equipment
It should be pointed out at the outset that there are two main types of trimmers that relate differently to wet vegetation. Some devices are equipped with a gasoline engine, others are set in motion by connecting to the mains or installing a battery. In turn, electric mowers are divided into two subgroups: with the location of the motor in the lower or upper part of the machine. Safe enough for the user to remove wet grass can only be gasoline trimmers or hand scythes.
In this case, it is strongly undesirable to use an electric lawn mower. Sometimes you can find statements that this requirement applies only to devices with a lower motor placement. Such an electric motor comes into direct contact with water. Because of this contact, you can be afraid of a short circuit.
If water does get inside the power plant, there is a risk not only of a short circuit, but also of an electric shock. It is worth noting that these restrictions apply not only to trimmers, but also to full-fledged lawn mowers. The assurances of manufacturers and marketers about safety should not be taken into account. To minimize the risk to yourself and your equipment, you should use a lawn mower. But there are a few more subtleties that must be taken into account.
Even if the mower does not fail and its owner is not electrocuted (let’s say such a favorable situation for a minute), you still cannot mow wet grass with a trimmer. This is a deliberately abnormal mode of operation, due to which the equipment wears out too quickly. Wet vegetation is much more resistant to cutting elements than it should be. Therefore, even very well insulated motors are overloaded.
Due to the sticking of wet grass to the knives and to the spindle, the load on them will necessarily increase. This cannot be avoided, and no skill of mowers, no methods and schemes of lawn clearing help. Not only the motor suffers, but also the shaft, which sometimes turns.
Problems when mowing wet grass can also arise with gasoline machines. Yes, they are more powerful than their electrical counterparts, but the load still exceeds normal values. Piston pairs and other moving parts are most likely to be hit. If there is no way out other than using a gasoline mower, you need to take care of it. When mowing raw grass, the machine is periodically switched to idle mode without load. 30 seconds is enough to remove excess heat, as well as save the trimmer resource.
And more about different situations
When talking about mowing wet grass, you need to distinguish between the following possible situations:
- It is wet after rain;
- It is raining;
- The reason for the moisture is a damp area (lowland or soil water).
In the first case, it is quite possible to take a chance and try to put things in order with a lawn mower. In the second, mowing is impractical. In the third, you will first have to solve something with moisture and only then put the lawn or lawn in order. If you often have to mow wet grass after rain or dew in a small area, then it is better to use not a trimmer or a lawn mower, but a simple hand scythe. You need to look not only at the grass that is being removed, but also at the one where the power cable is placed.
Moisturizing it can be a very serious risk factor. To mow the grass after rain, you need to wait a little. A few minutes, even with a very big rush, will not noticeably reduce the time that can be set aside for mowing.
As for mowing raw grass, there are still the following objections to it:
- It is more difficult to walk with a trimmer or lawn mower in such conditions, you can easily fall and get injured;
- You will have to spend more time on work;
- After mowing, it will be necessary to thoroughly clean the machine itself;
- Wet chlorophyll will leave more stains on clothes, leather, shoes.
Now you need to figure out exactly how to act if you still decide to use a gasoline trimmer to clean your lawn or lawn in wet weather. An important rule is to keep the grass at the optimum length. By overly shortening it, especially in the summer, summer residents run the risk of provoking early drying of plants. It is unlikely that this will contribute to a good appearance.
Sure, wear durable, waterproof footwear. Use headphones or earplugs only when working with a two-stroke petrol trimmer. On a large clearing with flat grass, mowing is carried out along imaginary squares, conventionally dividing the entire territory into them. They first move along the perimeter of each square, then mow it from the inside and move on to the next part of the lawn. Regardless of the weather, before starting work, you should do the following:
- Check the serviceability of the equipment;
- Remove all debris and foreign objects from the site;
- Replace, if necessary, worn cutting elements;
- Are determined with the direction of the mow so that the lawn does not resemble a washboard.