Cutting skirting boards for ceiling decoration
Another type of ceiling plinth is made of extruded polystyrene foam. They are much denser than ordinary foam products (therefore they do not crumble), they are a little more expensive, but they are also somewhat more difficult to cut. For work, you can use the same knife or hacksaw for metal.
The most expensive skirting boards are made of polyurethane. These are elastic, strong and moisture resistant products that are very easy to cut with a construction knife. True, they cannot be used in all rooms, since polyurethane is sensitive to high temperatures – it deforms, begins to crack or cracks.
For working with wooden skirting boards, only a hacksaw with fine teeth is suitable, you can use a metal tool.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth – proven methods and techniques
Ceiling skirting boards are very often used for decorating rooms. They give the ceiling a complete look, allow you to convey a particular style in the interior. In addition, they serve to mask the joints between walls and ceilings, where two different materials are mated. Although such elements are not always present in the premises, they make the interior more complete. In the material below, we will tell you in detail how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth, since in such places the joining of individual elements is often a problem for inexperienced builders.
If the room has a simple shape, then only the inner corners will need to be cut. But in rooms of a more complex configuration, with columns, partitions and niches, there will also be external corners. To make decorative elements look beautiful, trimming must be done correctly and accurately, otherwise the appearance of the ceiling will be spoiled.
To trim the ceiling plinth in the corners as best as possible, you can use quality and sharp tools or other means. The type of tool that will be used to cut skirting boards depends on the type of material used to make them. So, ceiling plinths are made of PVC, foam, polyurethane and wood.
The cheapest option is PVC skirting boards. They are soft, so it is easy to leave dents and creases on them, which cannot be fixed in any way. In addition, this material has the ability to attract dust. A hacksaw or a sharp knife is suitable for cutting such skirting boards..
Another fairly cheap type of material is polystyrene foam skirting boards. They crumble easily, so only a sharp knife or a metal hacksaw should be used to trim the corners of the ceiling plinth. Movements should be soft, without pressure..
Applying a miter box template
To cut the plinth in the corner to the ceiling as evenly as possible, you can use a paper, cardboard or wooden template instead of a regular miter box. Two parallel mowing lines are applied to it, then a central point is found and any necessary angle is laid from it with the help of a protractor. Before you cut the corner of the ceiling plinth without a miter box, you should double-check the size of the inner or outer corners between the walls of the room, using the same protractor.
The principle of cutting corners using a template is similar to using a standard miter box. In this case, the workpiece must be pressed against a parallel mowing line and, setting the hacksaw at the desired angle, saw off the workpiece.
Install Perfect Outside Baseboard Corners/Easy Math Trick
Using a miter box to cut skirting boards
In carpentry, a special device made of wood, metal or plastic is often used – a miter box. Special cuts are made in it, which allow an even cut at 90º, 45º, and in more complex devices – even at 60º. There are also professional miter boxes equipped with a swivel mechanism. In them, the cutting tool can be installed and fixed at any angle to the workpiece. Before making a ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to understand the details..
To cut the inner corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box, you must:
- First, the skirting board must be attached to the ceiling surface and mark the length.
- Now a piece of plinth is placed in the miter box in the same position as it should be placed on the ceiling.
- The plinth is tightly pressed against the back wall of the miter box.
- Hold the work piece with one hand to keep it from shifting while cutting.
- The hacksaw is set at an angle of 45º to the workpiece.
- Cut the plinth, controlling the degree of pressure of the hacksaw, so as not to damage the product.
- Then proceed to cutting the counter piece of the skirting board. It is also applied to the far wall of the miter box..
- The workpiece is pressed and held by hand so that it does not move.
- The hacksaw is installed at an angle of 45º to the workpiece so that the direction of the cut is opposite to the first element of the plinth.
- Cut off the corner of the plinth.
After trimming the ceiling plinths in the corners, they proceed to the joining of the resulting elements. If the cutting was done accurately, they will fit snugly together..
Please note that it is recommended to start cutting the inner corner of the skirting board from the front side. Then the cutting line will be more accurate and even. As for the wooden elements, then all the flaws on them will need to be cleaned up with a file. “How to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners – options and methods for plinths from different materials”.
Let’s take a look at how to cut the outer corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box:
- It is best to start marking and measuring the ceiling plinth from the inner corner, and only after completing it, start cutting the outer corner. Otherwise, the plank may be short, not enough to fill the entire length of the ceiling..
- The plinth is applied to the ceiling and its length is marked..
- Then the workpiece is placed in a miter box and pressed against the front wall.
- The hacksaw is placed at an angle of 45º and, holding the workpiece with your hand, saw off the corner.
- Similarly, you must cut off the opposite part of the outer corner..
- The workpiece is pressed against the front of the miter box.
- The hacksaw is placed at an angle of 45º to the plinth and the workpiece is sawn off.
At the end of the work, the pieces of the skirting board are joined together, checking if everything is done correctly and evenly.
It is worth noting that the miter box can help to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth as evenly as possible only if the walls are strictly perpendicular. If they are uneven and the angles are not accurate, this device is unlikely to be useful. “How to properly cut the corner of the ceiling plinth – rules and methods”.
Marking on the ceiling for making a corner on the skirting board
There are different ways of how to correctly make a corner on a skirting board. Some are easier to do, others are more difficult. One of these methods is to mark the plinth on the ceiling. True, it is not very convenient to cut the plinth by weight, but this method is not inferior in accuracy to all others. Before cutting the plinth to the ceiling, it is applied to the surface, while all the imperfections and irregularities of the walls, as well as the size of the corners, are immediately taken into account.
Let’s consider in detail how to correctly make the corners on the ceiling plinths using this technique:
- First, two mating plinths must be cut at an angle of 90º;
- One of the blanks is pressed against the wall, and its end is abutted against the opposite wall. Then the outline of the workpiece is drawn on the ceiling..
- At the next stage, they take the second plank and press it with its butt against the wall in the same way. Outline the line.
- At the intersection of the lines obtained, a point is put along which further trimming of the baseboards will be carried out.
- Then each of the strips is alternately applied to the ceiling again and the cutting point is transferred to the blanks.
- From this point, a diagonal cutting line is drawn into the corner of the plinth.
How To Cut Perfect Baseboard Inside Corners
Using the obtained fishing lines, cut off unnecessary sections of the baseboards, then join the mating segments, checking the correctness and completeness of the fit. “How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth – simple and correct ways”.
It should be noted that this method is more often used for internal corners..
How to make a miter box yourself
Often the only way to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth evenly is to use special tools so that the tool does not move to the side during the cutting process. In this case, you can make a miter box yourself..
Option 1. A box in the shape of the letter P is made of three boards. The required corners are marked on the walls of the box and the slots are cut out in the appropriate places. The result is a complete adaptation..
Option 2. Sometimes it is quite difficult to make the corners of the skirting boards on the ceiling as even as possible, especially if you have to keep the workpiece suspended. In this case, you can use a homemade device. Take two boards and knock them down in the shape of a corner. Then, on a sheet of paper or cardboard, they draw a mowing line with the desired angles, apply a template to the corner. Then the plinth is pressed, a template is placed under the cutting site and the corner is sawn off along the lines.
Option 3. If you are still in doubt about how to properly cut the corner of the skirting board, almost any household item, the shape of which allows you to form a corner, can help with this. It can be a chair or a table just against the wall..
To understand how to properly cut the ceiling plinth, you should also familiarize yourself with the rule for measuring blanks. So, to complete the inner corner, the length begins to measure right from the beginning of the corner. But to determine the outer corner, it should be borne in mind that it will be issued into the space of the room by the amount of the width of the product.
There is no need to rush and fix the workpieces before the mating skirting boards have been made in the corner. In order not to redo the work, you must first make sure that the mating surfaces are tightly adjacent to each other and to the ceiling. Small flaws can be corrected with a file, a thin nail file or a knife, depending on the material of the products.
If cutting off the skirting boards in the corners did not work out perfectly, small gaps can be simply putty. In general, the process of trimming skirting boards in the corners is not at all difficult. However, for training, you can take a few small pieces of the baseboard and practice on them..
The need to trim skirting boards
Installation of ceiling plinths (also called fillets) must be carried out using the correct technology. However, there are no difficulties in it – the vast majority of fillets are mounted with glue. It is enough just to properly coat the product and hold it in the right place for a while.
But with how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, questions arise. When arranging a ceiling, there is always a need to process corners – but their value can have both a standard value (for example, a right angle) or a certain deviation. The latter case is possible if the room has a complex shape, or if during the repair it was not possible to align it.
The fillets should fit perfectly evenly, regardless of the corners of the room. In addition, skirting boards often have to be cut at the outer corners. To carry out such work correctly, you need to stock up on the right tools and figure out how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth at home..
Finished corner pieces
Unfortunately, this method is not relevant in all situations. The dimensions of the corners produced at the factory are adjusted to certain standards – but the skirting boards themselves do not always meet the standards. Of course, such details can be combined, but the result will look unaesthetic. If corners of a suitable size are not on sale, then you will still have to cut the baseboards yourself.
Polyurethane skirting boards are the most expensive products. The high cost is due to a large number of advantages, among which are excellent resistance to moisture, high mechanical strength, reliability and elasticity. For most situations, this option will be optimal..
However, there are exceptions – polyurethane does not withstand temperature extremes. If you place such skirting boards in the kitchen in the area of the stove, then over time, the polyurethane will deform and crack. Cutting of such fillets is performed with a special knife, and no complications arise in the process of work..
Features of cutting different materials
The following materials are used for the manufacture of ceiling plinths:
- Expanded polystyrene;
Each option has a number of characteristics, so they need to be considered separately..
Wooden ceiling skirting boards differ from analogues. Wood has a fairly large weight, which affects the mass of products from it. As a result, the skirting boards turn out to be quite dense, very resistant to mechanical damage and hard, which allows you not to be afraid of accidental deformation during installation or cutting.
To trim a fillet made of wood, it is best to use a fine-toothed hacksaw designed specifically for delicate work with this material. However, a good option would be a high-quality sheet for metal.
Outside corner cutting
In the case of external corners, the cutting technology will look like this:
- For greater accuracy, it will be better to start from the inner corners, and only then proceed to the outer ones. If this is not done, then the length of the plinth in the end may simply not be enough..
- The part is applied to the ceiling, and marks are made on it in the right places. Then the plinth is placed in the miter box, held with the left hand near the near wall and cut off at the desired angle using a hacksaw.
- The opposite plank is laid near the near wall of the miter box, but is already held by the right hand. The hacksaw is at a 45-degree angle and the workpiece can be cut off. Finished planks need to be docked with each other to make sure that the cut is correct..
Cutting skirting boards with a miter box is only suitable if the walls and ceiling are at right angles to each other. If there are any irregularities, it would be better to use another method..
Inner corner cutting
The inner corner cutting technology is as follows:
- The first step is to attach the baseboard to the ceiling. The required length is set on the plinth.
- The skirting board is inserted into the miter box in the same way as it will subsequently be located on the ceiling. The part is pressed against the far wall of the miter box and held in a stationary position.
- The hacksaw is positioned in the slots that mark the 45-degree angle. The workpiece laid in the miter box can be cut, and the effort required for this is minimal – you should not press too hard on the hacksaw.
- Now you need to cut off the opposite plank. The operation itself will be carried out in the same way, only the plinth must be placed not at the near wall of the miter box, but at the far one, so that the corners can be joined in the future.
- The cut skirting boards must be joined together to make sure the cut is correct. When cutting internal corners, it is recommended to start work from the outside of the product. After work, it is advisable to slightly adjust the cuts with a file in order to improve the quality of the joint..
Miter box for skirting boards
A carpenter’s miter box is a device for cutting at a certain angle. It is used with a hacksaw. In principle, you can make a miter box yourself by assembling a guide from the boards and making cuts in the walls. There are various models on sale, ranging from 15 to several hundred dollars. They differ in capabilities, materials, although all are called “miter box”. Professional models are made on the basis of a good hacksaw, have a scale that allows you to set the saw as it should. With such a tool, it is not a problem to set any desired cutting angle in order to correctly cut the skirting board for a perfect fit..
Professional carpentry miter box – a tool with a wide range
The simplest miter box is a plastic U-shaped profile, in the walls of which slots are formed. These slots are used as a hacksaw guide. They do not allow the canvas to deviate. In any case, there are two cuts – straight and at 45 degrees. Some may have a couple more options..
How to cut a plinth at 45 degrees? One way is to use a miter box
Sometimes a hacksaw is included, sometimes not. Usually the ones included are not very good. Any hacksaw can be used, picking up a blade for the material that is planned to be cut. It is important that the blade moves freely in the slots..
Making an external joint
In apartments or houses, there are not only internal corners, but also external ones. In this case, the nearest inner corner is first trimmed and modified. When it’s ready, you can make an outside corner on the baseboard. We put the bar in the corner, as it should be. In the place of the outer corner with a pencil, we make a mark exactly at the place of rotation.
How to make the outer corner of the skirting board
Then we transfer the bar to the miter box, choose the appropriate position. In order not to be mistaken, all the time imagine how the plinth is against the wall and what you should get.
We cut the second segment at 45 degrees so that it joins the finished one. To do this, we change the position of the saw to the opposite and start the plinth on the other side..
How to cut the skirting board correctly. Miter box for cutting corners
When installing skirting boards, it is important to arrange the corners correctly. It is they who often spoil the overall picture. How to make a corner on the plinth – external and internal, how and with what to cut. We will discuss all this further.
How to make a skirting angle more or less than 90 °
Not all angles are exactly 90 degrees. If the deviation is small, the cracks can be removed with sandpaper. In other cases, you will have to mark and cut taking into account the real degree. The main task in this case is to find a point on the floor where two plinths will join.
Let’s start by explaining how to properly slice the outside corner if it’s not 90 degrees. We take the bar, put it to the corner on one side, press it tightly against the wall – as it should stand. Draw a line on the floor with a pencil along the bottom edge of the plinth. We apply the bar to the other side of the corner, do the same. The intersection of the two lines will be the joining point of the two skirting boards.
How to join a skirting board if the angle is less than or more than 90 degrees
Now we attach the plinth strip again, set it in the way it will be attached. We make two marks: at the top at the turn itself, at the bottom in the place where the lines we draw intersect. Now an important task: it is necessary to make a cut according to these marks. If you have a miter saw or a miter box with an adjustable saw tilt, set it up and cut it. If not, carefully cut it with a hacksaw. In order not to get lost, you can use a pencil to apply the fishing line along which you need to cut. Similarly, mark and cut off the second part. Modifying the connection of the skirting boards with sandpaper.
Few of the professionals process the joints with sandpaper – this is time and additional work. But if you join skirting boards in the corners in your own house, with your own hands, you definitely want everything to be beautiful. This is what this manual debugging is for..
With a custom-sized inner corner, everything is exactly the same. We put a plinth in the corner, draw a straight line on the floor. We do it on the other side. Transfer the point of intersection to the planks.
The first joint in the room
The first plinth of the skirting board should be cut as close to the edge as possible. Carpenters have their own jargon and they say “cut” the corner. It does not matter what you call it, it is important that in the miter box we set the bar so as to make a cut at the very beginning. For the cutting line, we push the bar a short distance, for a start, you can 1-2 cm. Cutting a smaller piece is more difficult, so save the savings “for later” when at least some skill appears.
In the miter box, place the plinth at the far wall “facing” you. This makes it easier to check if you are cutting / sawing correctly.
Then you need to make a corner on the plinth like this:
- We put the plinth in the miter box, press it against the wall opposite to us. We expose it in the mounting position – how it will stand against the wall.
- Insert the hacksaw into the required slots (see the picture below).
- Move the bar so that it goes slightly beyond the cut line.
- Cut off.
- We take the second piece of plinth, repeat the same operations, but change the position of the saw on the miter box to the opposite. We insert the bar on the other side. Be careful here, otherwise you will have to redo it several times, since the connection will not work.
How to properly cut a floor plinth in a miter box: for external and internal joint
We got two pieces of sawn cut for joining in the inner corner. To make the joint perfect, we try on the details in place. Most likely there are some flaws. We take sandpaper with medium grain, remove everything that interferes with docking. Then, with small grain, we achieve a tight joint without cracks and gaps.
When joining the skirting boards in the corner, use a transparent silicone sealant. Before installing the fasteners, a layer of silicone is applied to the cut. Immediately after the plinth is fixed, we remove the excess that appeared on the outside. We clean up to an absolutely clean surface. This way of connecting the skirting boards in the corners looks more neat, dirt and dust does not clog into it..
How and what to cut a plastic skirting board
All of the above applies to MDF and wood skirting boards. Cutting them with an ordinary hacksaw is not a problem. It is advisable to take a blade for metal, since it has a smaller tooth and the saw cut is smoother, you will have to work less with sandpaper. With plastic, the situation is different – when you try to cut a piece, some thin-walled skirting boards crumble and break.
Cutting plastic is not very convenient because of the thin walls
To cut normal quality plastic skirting boards you can use:
- Hacksaw for metal.
- angle grinder (angle grinder) with diamond disc.
- A revolving miter saw. Before cutting, speed up the disc and only then start cutting.
- A jigsaw and a file with a fine tooth. Here you have to try – select the speed and file.
- Sharp knife.
- Metal scissors. In any case, it is not difficult to make straight cuts with them..
Only personal experience will help you decide what is more convenient for you to cut a plastic floor plinth. If you have a miter saw, try using it. It is not a problem to try your angle grinder with a diamond disc a couple of times. If all this does not work well, try a hacksaw, jigsaw, or knife. There are, of course, special scissors for plastic, but they are too expensive to buy for a single use..
Accessories for the design of corners and joints of PVC skirting boards
In plastic skirting boards, you can design corners and joints using special fittings. There are external and internal corners, plugs and connectors. Basically, they allow you to assemble the desired configuration. Each manufacturer makes its own fittings – for its own profile, colors. But the principle of their use is the same.
How to shape the corners of a plastic skirting board
The first rule is that all cuts are made straight. Strictly perpendicular. Marks in the corners are set at a distance of 1-1.5 mm from the corner. The fact is that the rigidity fittings have their own jumpers. For them, it is necessary to retreat a couple of millimeters, but no more. Otherwise, a gap will appear or the skirting boards will pop out of these corners.
This is the result of the assembly
I must say that not everyone likes the look of plastic corners. You can make a corner on a PVC skirting board in the same way as described for wood or MDF. The only difficulty is that you have to be careful with plastic – it breaks down from excessive efforts. There is one trick – before cutting the plastic skirting board, add a little polyurethane foam on the back side and wait for the polymerization to begin. It will be tougher, easier to cut, less deformation. If the foam subsequently interferes, it is not a problem to remove it, but to cut it is, indeed, easier..
How to cut the skirting board in the inner corners: an action plan step by step
Begin installing the skirting boards in one of the corners. If this is your first experience, choose the part of the room where something will stand. Not always, it’s over, the first pancake is lumpy, but it’s still better to insure yourself. To make the corner on the baseboard neatly, work slowly. One was sawed off, checked, adjusted. Let’s move on to the next one. It is better to fix it after the two adjacent corners are assembled. But you shouldn’t postpone the assembly too much..
Trimming skirting boards in corners requires some skill. But by making several joints yourself, you can beautifully design complex corners.
How to use a miter box to cut skirting boards? Place the device in front of you, preferably on a table, but also on the floor. It doesn’t matter which side to turn it, it is symmetrical. Insert the bar into the profile, turn it so that it will stand against the wall. When washing down a floor plinth in a miter box, the “wall” is the wall that is farther from you. Once again: press the plinth strip firmly against the back wall in the position in which it will be installed. Insert a hacksaw into the desired slots. You can start sawing.
How to make the corners of a ceiling plinth without fixtures
- Mark the skirting boards as required.
- Using a ruler, connect the edge of the skirting board to the mark. If you just cut along the mowing line, the parts in the corner will still not fold, as the inner part will interfere. You can trim it later by taking measurements on the ceiling..
- You can lay the piece to be cut on the table, with the part that will be located on the ceiling, and cut at an angle of 45 degrees. Adjustment required, but less.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the second plank, making the outer corner.
Thus, you can make a ceiling plinth without special tools, using available tools.
We cut the corners of the ceiling plinth without a miter box
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box? To work, you need a well-sharpened pencil, a small piece of plinth, a stationery knife (for polystyrene or polyurethane) or a metal saw (for other materials), a ruler.
You need to attach the plinth to the corner and draw the line with a pencil along the outer edge, then attach to the other side of the corner and also mark. As a result, a cross will turn out on the ceiling, the center of which will mark the place where the plinths of the ceiling plinth should converge. Place a piece of skirting board where you will glue it. Resting the end against the wall, transfer the desired mark to it. This way you can cut the corners of the skirting board without a miter box..
How to make an even corner: ways
The most difficult thing is to cut the corner so as to get a perfectly even one: the surface of the materials used is not easy to cut, in addition, you need to observe good joining, preferably without huge gaps. How to make a corner on a skirting board? You can use several methods: with a miter box, without a miter box, using decorative corners, as well as an alternative way.
What tools will be needed?
For ceiling plinths, the following tools may come in handy, depending on the chosen method of work:
- Saw on wood. Suitable for working with wooden ceiling plinths.
- Metal sheet. Suitable for other types of skirting boards (foam, plastic, etc.).
- Miter box. The tool is a chute, which has the shape of an inverted P, where mowing lines are outlined at angles of 45 ° and 90 ° for cutting.
- Electric miter saw. Can be used instead of a miter box, helps to achieve high cutting accuracy.
- Jigsaw. Easy to operate, with the help of it you can efficiently and correctly cut a corner without burrs.
- Stationery or construction knife. Suitable for foam skirting boards, it is important that it has an excellent cutting blade, and therefore must be well sharpened.
You can not make fillets yourself, but immediately purchase those that were initially prepared for docking. This is how they produce expanded polystyrene fillets, which do not need to be adjusted to each other..
The baguette that will be fixed to the left must have a right cut, and the right baguette must have a left cut. When creating the inner corner, make the bottom section rise above the top, for the outer corner everything should be the other way around.
Attach the baguettes to each other, if necessary, make undercuts at the joints of the base. If everything is in order, the skirting boards can be fixed with glue or screwed to the walls with further sealing of the seams..
Important points on how to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners
Let’s consider how to correctly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth and get an excellent result the first time. Follow a few helpful tips:
- Before fastening, both parts must be matched to each other. Place both halves together. The surface of the wall must be dry. Having found defects, you can easily level them with a knife..
- Several trims may be required. Don’t be discouraged if it takes a long time and has to make a few trims, especially if this is your first time doing the job..
- Determine the correct length of the planks in the corners. For the inner corner, the length of the plank must be adjusted exactly from corner to corner; on the outer corner, the measurement is taken from the inner point in the direction of the room.
- If the corners generally match perfectly, but there are small gaps in the middle, they can be repaired with a putty..
How to join skirting boards in the corners
When a certain part of the plinth is glued and a small distance remains to the corner, so as not to be mistaken with the length, it is necessary to leave a margin. To begin with, you can cut off a piece that will be 10-15 cm longer. Then cut the corner in a convenient way, try it on a dry surface, attach the plank to the ceiling and highlight the place to which it needs to be shortened. Undercutting is performed at an angle of 90 °.
Next, you need to correctly join the corners. The made ceiling moldings are attached at an angle of 38-45 °, so the classic 45 ° is not always suitable at the joints. In various cases, the cut edges do not join and leave gaps. For this reason, after the initial trimming of the corners, it is necessary to carry out a “dry” and maximally accurate joining of the baguettes directly to the ceiling. Especially have to tinker with wood and plastic materials..
Having completed the rough joining of the skirting boards, glue or screw the fillets to the walls and ceiling, then, if necessary, use a putty and seal the seams at the end.
How to cut skirting boards using decorative corners
With the help of them, you can easily and quickly obtain the desired angles in polystyrene or polyurethane skirting boards. Install them on the ceiling, and then glue the strips to them. Cutting them is easy using a clerical knife..
Method two – no additional tools
For the inner corner, you can use the simplest way of perfect joining – by marking on the ceiling. Another example of how to cut a corner nice and even.
- Apply a fillet to the ceiling, firmly pressing its even edge into a corner.
- Draw a line along the long side of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The same action is done with the adjacent part on the other side..
- Mark the point of intersection of lines.
The end result is an even 45 ° angle when you draw the line from the point of intersection to the edge of the part. Note that the above marking method works only at perfectly flat corners..
The first way is with a miter box
Professional miter box with rotary hacksaw
The miter box usually looks like a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool is the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool for cutting wood pieces at 90 ° and 45 ° angles. There are types of such a device for professional work, with a rotary mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
Ceiling corners are divided into internal and external, the method of joining them is slightly different.
If necessary, you can make a miter box with your own hands. To do this, you need three trims from plywood or boards of the same size. First, they are applied in the form of an inverted letter “P” and the corners are marked. Then, according to the marking, slots are cut out for a hacksaw almost to the very bottom, and the boards are twisted.
- Measure the length of the plinth from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave the fishing line on the wrong side with a pencil, indicating the desired length. It should be noted that the edge (its upper part) should protrude slightly outward..
- The plinth is moved to the miter box and cut off.
- The adjacent bar also needs to be measured with a margin and cut off in a mirror image to the first part.
Trying on the ceiling plinth: the joining of the parts should be perfectly flat. If the result is not achieved and there are irregularities at the joints, you can trim the edges with an ordinary knife to a perfect fit..
Checking the smooth docking
All the nuances are well described in the video:
- Making the right measurements.
- We install the plinth strip in the miter box so that this position exactly coincides with the placement on the ceiling.
- The plinth should be firmly pressed against the opposite wall of the miter box. Hold and press with your free hand.
- We put a hacksaw at an angle of 45 ° in a special hole and cut off the part.
- The adjacent part must be cut in the same way, only in a mirror image, as shown in the photo.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, expanded polystyrene), use a hacksaw for metal or an ordinary construction knife. Then the work will be neat and with smooth edges..
How to cut the corner of a skirting board evenly
A beautiful and neat edging of the ceiling hides the joints between the coverings and is an additional element of the room’s decor. But in order for the ceiling plinth to look really beautiful, you need to be able to qualitatively join its corner joints.
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth evenly can be found in our article.
Related article: how to properly glue the ceiling plinth with glue and putty.
With a good eye and accuracy of hand action, you can use a homemade template that resembles an imitation of a miter box. To do this, take a thin board or thick plywood and draw a layout in the form of a horizontal rectangle. Using a protractor, mark 45 ° on the right and left sides of the rectangle. Draw mowing lines connecting opposite edges. You can now cut off the ceiling plinth using this layout. The actions are simple and similar to the description above in the first option. Only the ceiling parts should not be inserted, but placed on the drawing and the hacksaw should be combined with the layout of the layout.
Special accessories for docking